Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 784 (Graduate)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battleborn Begins
30. Re: Battleborn Begins May 4, 2016, 03:31 DarkCntry

ViRGE wrote on May 4, 2016, 02:09:
DarkCntry wrote on May 3, 2016, 19:01:
PHJF wrote on May 3, 2016, 18:35:
Have you played Borderlands before?
Character movement feels exactly like it.

That would be terrible for a game I always assumed was trying to compete with Overwatch.

Except Overwatch and Battleborn are two different genres...
As someone who hasn't paid a whole lot of attention to either game so far and is just lumping those together as "colorful class based shooter," I'd very much like to get a good explanation of how they're different.

Best way to put it...

Overwatch = TF2
Battleborn = Borderlands (Team-oriented co-op with skills) crossed with Smite (MOBA-style in 2 PVP game modes, 3 point capture in the last PVP mode)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battleborn Begins
24. Re: Battleborn Begins May 3, 2016, 19:01 DarkCntry

PHJF wrote on May 3, 2016, 18:35:
Have you played Borderlands before?
Character movement feels exactly like it.

That would be terrible for a game I always assumed was trying to compete with Overwatch.

Except Overwatch and Battleborn are two different genres...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 29, 2016, 17:48 DarkCntry

wtf_man wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 16:54:
I think you misunderstood.

I didn't say I didn't know what the data is... I meant I don't care.

Tinfoil hat usually refers to someone that is "paranoid" about something being transmitted about them.

My attitude is... if you take away my control over the OS on MY machine (aka, don't give me a true opt outs), then fsck you... I won't give you anything.

That's not paranoia, my friend.

Well, there is the whole "connected to the Internet" bit about transmitting of data...if you're connected to the Internet I'm pretty sure you've already transmitted enough data to various entities to supply them with information to last until your great-grandkid's grandkids are long dust.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta
15. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 28, 2016, 05:56 DarkCntry

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 28, 2016, 04:06:
Waiting for the mod that will make Fallout4 an actual roleplaying game...

Subjective desires here...technically the game is a roleplaying game as it allows you to create a character, assign attributes and skills, as well as 'evolve' the character as time goes on, which are basic hallmarks of the genre.

Granted, as years go on, these things start getting muddled, but overall, the game itself is still rooted in the genre's 'requirements'.

News Comments > Dreadnought Preorders; Closed Beta This Week
4. Re: Dreadnought Preorders; Closed Beta This Week Apr 28, 2016, 05:52 DarkCntry

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 27, 2016, 17:10:
Keith wrote on Apr 27, 2016, 15:54:
This looks pretty damned good. Unfortunately, my experiences with space/large craft games that seem to require a team to function well just haven't been that good. The games themselves seem like they have been pretty well done, it's the retard or non-existent team players that make it die. I wouldn't mind seeing one of these done with a nice lenghty single player component. Well, that and the ability to control things with a mouse and keyboard instead of one of those crappy console controllers or a flight stick.

Well, every team based game can be ruined by idiots on either team. That will never change.

However, I don't think this game will be that bad, as far as I understand it, each player at least gets their own ship, be it a dreadnought or corvette. At least you won't be relying on other players to fire your weapons as you pilot, etc.

Only potential issue I see is they are already selling cosmetic DLC, and the game itself is going to be some sort of F2P with microtransactions setup. I know it's the new model for games, but I am not a fan of the F2P grind/treadmills.

So far, outside of strict cosmetics, everything in the game is purchased via in-game currency. Ships themselves are literally just cosmetic sans the heroic ships, which are nothing but 'short-cut' ships that offer the same side-grade loadouts already obtainable in-game for free.

News Comments > Hearthstone Whispers of the Old Gods Released
3. Re: Hearthstone Whispers of the Old Gods Released Apr 27, 2016, 00:25 DarkCntry

El Pit wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 23:44:
Blizzard looting the tomb of H. P. Lovecraft for a dime - how the mighty have fallen.

As opposed to looting the Games Workshop braintrust? How can you fall when you never really were above it?

News Comments > Blizzard on Vanilla WoW Shutdown
46. Re: Blizzard on Vanilla WoW Shutdown Apr 26, 2016, 18:57 DarkCntry

Kxmode wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 18:53:
Wetworks wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 18:07:
Vanilla servers is such a no brainer for Blizzard I have no idea why they haven't done it yet.

It's not about the money. It's clear they have the resources to do this if wanted. It's about their egos. The people driving WOW today DO NOT want the community going back to the first version of their game. They've censored and banned ALL vanilla discussions on their official servers. They've said "No" to legacy servers since Cataclysm days. It's very clear from Cataclysm that their intent was to destroy the original vanilla content. They have also gone back and redid almost all the old dungeons and raids. It doesn't serve any purpose other than to continue to replace the old content with THEIR content.

Do you even read what you type? I mean, you're coming off worse than Fox Mulder explaining what the evil Government is doing to the X-Files....

It's simple, there's no factual proof that it would be a viable investment for Blizzard to undertake this, and even if you could somehow find proof, it still wouldn't work in a long-term environment.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. removed Apr 21, 2016, 17:13 DarkCntry

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 21, 2016, 17:40.

News Comments > Mafia III in October
25. Re: Mafia III in October Apr 19, 2016, 19:49 DarkCntry

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 12:24:
So, if the Season Pass idea is such a horrendous idea to some people...just don't buy it.

Whoa there cowboy, there's no place for logical thought processes on the Internet!

News Comments > BlizzCon Ticket Sales Tomorrow
10. Re: BlizzCon Ticket Sales Tomorrow Apr 19, 2016, 19:46 DarkCntry

Kxmode wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 11:05:
nin wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 11:00:
Your crusades getting old...

That's what it feels like at times. Thankfully I'm not alone. We have large numbers of freeloaders for this movement.

FTFY...

When there can be quantifiable proof that people will be willing to pay for this, you're just living a pipe-dream.

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: Petition for Legacy World of Warcraft Servers Passes 150k Apr 19, 2016, 15:45 DarkCntry

Kxmode wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 13:53:
Brazor wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 12:16:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 17:06:
They couldn't secure $500 a month in donations because they didn't take donations. Everything was already paid for. The server was non profit. Just stop...

By the way I was a member of the Nostalrius staff so I know what I'm talking about.
http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37403
Then what was the deal with this?

Read the announcement. It explains everything well enough.

I think the point was that you stated that they didn't take donations and that the servers were paid for, where-as the thread linked to states otherwise...

News Comments > GameStop's Publishing Division
2. Re: GameStop's Publishing Division Apr 18, 2016, 21:19 DarkCntry

I would say this is double-dipping, but since Valve created Steam, I guess it's just savvy business.  

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: Petition for Legacy World of Warcraft Servers Passes 150k Apr 18, 2016, 19:25 DarkCntry

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 18:20:
DarkCntry wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 16:46:
Yes, WoW's overall gameplay has changed somewhat from vanilla and the focus of the game has shifted from group-oriented content and raids to that of what we have now,

I haven't played in forever, but what is it like now? Curious.

They're focusing more on small group experiences, basic party dungeon crawls and less on high-end raiding. There is also a bit more focus on story aspects being forefront than before, but WoW's story has been always something of a flux component and no one pays too much attention to it outside of the general story of whatever it is they are in currently.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: Petition for Legacy World of Warcraft Servers Passes 150k Apr 18, 2016, 16:46 DarkCntry

Kxmode wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 15:54:
Then Blizzard doesn't trust their fans, which is precisely Blizzard's problem to begin with. This is why Brack said "You think you do, but you don't." Nostalrius showed Blizzard the exact opposite. Blizzard just needs to trust their fans. There are way more legacy fans (Vanilla, TBC and WOTLK) than retail players.
I hear this time and again with almost every game in this genre, that there are people who claim that there are more fans of the 'original' version as opposed to what is current, all without any proof outside of a closed ecosystem.

Rose-tinted glasses are a big issue when it comes to MMOs, everyone gets all nostalgic over the past that it clouds their judgement of how things really were 'back in the day' to the point that they think it is any different than what takes place now.

Yes, WoW's overall gameplay has changed somewhat from vanilla and the focus of the game has shifted from group-oriented content and raids to that of what we have now, but that doesn't mean that there's enough of a fanbase of the original style to support the blade offshoots required to run legacy servers. There's also the point where you get the freeloaders who only play on the emulated servers because most of them are free...

$15/mth per how many possible thousand of people is not going to be enough to support what these people want, which is a fully-operational product with the same benefits as the currently-ran version, especially not for the size that Blizzard runs their staff. The Blizzard folks I've talked to at various conventions and events have stated that the engine code from vanilla was so massive that it undertook almost an entire team of 30 just to make sure it was 'running' as it should...I seriously doubt Blizzard are going to cannibalize their flagship teams to create legacy teams like this.

Besides, Brazor's point of where do you stop with the legacy requirements when there are people who want strictly vanilla content, to those who want Wrath or BC. This then leads into which things should get patched with the fixes that have taken place over the decade plus since it was originally developed? How about the desired balance changes? At what point do these legacy servers stop being legacy servers and become old code?

There's a whole can of worms that gets opened when things like this get 'traction' from the vocal communities out there...and that can of worms generally has several hundred differing (and sometimes dissenting) opinions of what ingredients should be in them.

News Comments > Fool Me Once 2016
16. Re: Fool Me Once 2016 Apr 2, 2016, 04:13 DarkCntry

nin wrote on Apr 1, 2016, 22:02:
Bumpy wrote on Apr 1, 2016, 18:49:
So idiots hit Mic Drop instead of Send and cry about it. Typical blame something else besides themselves society.

Well, they put the button right next to the other "send" button. I could see how someone in a hurry would maybe hit the wrong one...

(Oh course, also skeptical of the "I lost my job" sort of posts as well. On 4/1, who can tell who's telling the truth?)

The button was a vastly different color, had an animated mic drop, and said "Send + *mic drop animation*...if you somehow hit that by mistake you could easily have rectified it by sending one via the real button...but really, would you want to employ people who can't differentiate between the two buttons?

It's not like Google went "hey, let's create this new button, offset the old button and put the new one in it's place"...only then would I believe the sob stories, and even then my level of sympathy would be nil because people should actually pay attention.

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Mar 30, 2016, 01:11 DarkCntry

Nucas wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 23:36:
ZeroPike1 wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 11:36:
The char models in the game are pretty sexualized as it is, why is this pose a problem? its a non-story compared to the other female characters.

the guy who wrote the criticism said characters like d'va and widowmaker were defined by their sexuality - and flaunting it - and had no problem with it; whereas tracer was not. he said the sexuality seemed out of place for her.

i don't agree with his argument but it's internally consistent.

predictably, the headline simply triggered full outrage vocabulary in people who didn't click on it or read the article, "sjw" and "cuck" already swimming through their minds.

The weird thing though is that it's only a sexual pose if you perceive it to be as such, after-all, other characters have the exact same pose. Then argument then moves from that to the notion that she's wearing skin-tight clothing which accentuates her behind, which honestly has been consistent since the release of the first Tracer image. Don't believe me, check out almost every art asset related to Tracer, up to and including the full-size statue of her.

It then moves on from that to "it doesn't fit the character" to which most would argue that what about the pose itself doesn't fit the character? I mean, could it be better? Yes...you could have her doing anything 'playful' while still in that pose and would that change the opinion of it? I doubt it.

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Mar 29, 2016, 18:54 DarkCntry

Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 16:55:
DarkCntry wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 16:36:
Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 15:46:
Per Blizzard, they didn't like it.

And, since they didn't, they're now up against an entirely different, but much louder and more focused, online hate mob, eh?

You know, I would've given Blizzard the benefit of the doubt with the change, but considering their history of releasing only when they want the quality to be just right, the idea that they'd push something that they deemed low-quality out, even in a beta state, is suspect.

It just seems coincidental that something suddenly gets reversed right after there is a huge outcry from a handful of people and somehow we're supposed to believe that it was Blizzard's idea to remove it all along? Hell, it is not like these things are done and immediately implemented right after completion or else I could see the point of view.

I guarantee plenty of art changes from beta to full release.

I know this, what doesn't make sense is that said content was released in the first place if they didn't like it. This is why I find the reasoning behind it suspect, not to include the fact that the original post made by Kaplan was littered with "ok, we're removing it because you don't like it" sentiment.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Mar 29, 2016, 16:36 DarkCntry

Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 15:46:
Per Blizzard, they didn't like it.

And, since they didn't, they're now up against an entirely different, but much louder and more focused, online hate mob, eh?

You know, I would've given Blizzard the benefit of the doubt with the change, but considering their history of releasing only when they want the quality to be just right, the idea that they'd push something that they deemed low-quality out, even in a beta state, is suspect.

It just seems coincidental that something suddenly gets reversed right after there is a huge outcry from a handful of people and somehow we're supposed to believe that it was Blizzard's idea to remove it all along? Hell, it is not like these things are done and immediately implemented right after completion or else I could see the point of view.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Mar 29, 2016, 13:03 DarkCntry

Gadzooks wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 12:43:
ZeroPike1 wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 11:36:
The char models in the game are pretty sexualized as it is, why is this pose a problem? its a non-story compared to the other female characters.

Because rather than being a GOOD parent, and not letting their 9 year old daughter play a TEEN rated game, as well as teaching their kid the proper values and lessons in life, they instead expect others to "pad the walls of the world" for them, so its nice, soft, and safe.

I don't want my kids to see some pixel butts!!!

But hey, lets not care if they go around wantonly killing everyone else!

The fact that their entire argument is on the character portrayal and that Tracer is not really "sexual" but playful while willfully ignoring the entire notion of her going around shooting people in the face is what annoys me the most.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Mar 11, 2016, 08:41 DarkCntry

Grumpy Sod wrote on Mar 11, 2016, 05:22:
They put Spidey on the side of registration?! Booooo

Well...enter the world of spoilers...He switch to Team Cap after a few events, whether that takes place in the film I don't know, but I also don't know how much of the series they intend to add. Personally, I don't know what to expect of the story they intend on following.

784 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo