Total Posts
1339 (Pro)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

1339 Comments. 67 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    67  ] Older

Re: Balatro Earns $1M in Eight Hours
Feb 27, 2024, 20:26
Re: Balatro Earns $1M in Eight Hours Feb 27, 2024, 20:26
Feb 27, 2024, 20:26

Yakubs wrote on Feb 27, 2024, 19:46:
Not a fan of this game. Felt a little too lacking in nuance. Is your chip generation high? Pick multiplier stuff. Multiplier high? Pick chip generation. Can't find what you need? Restart.
So basically it's like any rogue-like/lite...

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Feb 23, 2024, 17:43
Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2024, 17:43
Feb 23, 2024, 17:43

phinn wrote on Feb 23, 2024, 14:06:
Yet another clickbate article that tells you to turn of something that has absolutely nothing to do with performance. Win 11 animations are so much nicer looking and smoother than any other OS they look gorgeous on my 165Hz VRR monitor I would never turn them off.
What I don't understand is that even a basement starter system shouldn't see more than a 1-5% performance boost by turning them off that by doing so you're making the UI worse for very little gain.

Re: Quoteworthy
Feb 23, 2024, 17:41
Re: Quoteworthy Feb 23, 2024, 17:41
Feb 23, 2024, 17:41

Overon wrote on Feb 23, 2024, 15:01:
So this was intended as another "live service" (*barf*) game?
It was intended to be the quality version of live service, which meant that they were going to be constantly increasing the scope of the game after the release...think how No Man's Sky has become and less what Avengers started with.

Re: Skull and Bones Sets Sail
Feb 17, 2024, 18:53
Re: Skull and Bones Sets Sail Feb 17, 2024, 18:53
Feb 17, 2024, 18:53

Osc8r wrote on Feb 17, 2024, 17:56:
DarkCntry wrote on Feb 17, 2024, 17:06:
Osc8r wrote on Feb 17, 2024, 15:17:
Prez wrote on Feb 16, 2024, 19:29:
Osc8r wrote on Feb 16, 2024, 15:12:
Looks like a $10-15 indie game..

For reference, please find me a $10 indie game that looks like this. Because being a doubter is one thing; but that is ridiculous.

"Graphics aren't everything you noob!!! "

Agreed. But doing an isometric view is way less expensive than graphically what this game is doing. I'm not a fan of Ubisoft at all, but saying shit like this means you didn't think an iota about what you wrote.

Oh, that's alright then, they spent 11 years making a game that looks kinda good! Guess that justifies their self-proclaimed "AAAA title" and "ridiculous" price then....

So yea, i'd buy that for $15... and in a year or two, maybe i will!

p.s. there's plenty of indie games using the UE5 engine, hell, there's even free ones if you can be bothered looking... some of them even have actual combat and realist animations, instead of magical saws and auto win lootboxes

Yeah, definitely looks like it's worth $70:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zuNm1Ow-YA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTekcLCAZpI

"I'm not a Ubifangirl, but OMG the purdy water!! Take my money!!! Game of year!!!!"
So instead of understanding why your statement is insane hyperbole, you double down with it, and then decided to attempt to insult someone who correctly called you out for it?

It was clearly a hyperbolic statement, poking fun at the current state of AAA gaming. However, it seems that went unnoticed by you and others who are quick to defend subpar, overpriced games. Nicely done!

Keep up the good fight!
Ah yes, the patented "it was obviously..." when called out...

Love the "quick to defend" part as well, I mean, why not just hit all the asinine angles while you're at it.

Feb 17, 2024, 17:06
Re: Skull and Bones Sets Sail Feb 17, 2024, 17:06
Feb 17, 2024, 17:06

Osc8r wrote on Feb 17, 2024, 15:17:
Prez wrote on Feb 16, 2024, 19:29:
Osc8r wrote on Feb 16, 2024, 15:12:
Looks like a $10-15 indie game..

For reference, please find me a $10 indie game that looks like this. Because being a doubter is one thing; but that is ridiculous.

"Graphics aren't everything you noob!!! "

Agreed. But doing an isometric view is way less expensive than graphically what this game is doing. I'm not a fan of Ubisoft at all, but saying shit like this means you didn't think an iota about what you wrote.

Oh, that's alright then, they spent 11 years making a game that looks kinda good! Guess that justifies their self-proclaimed "AAAA title" and "ridiculous" price then....

So yea, i'd buy that for $15... and in a year or two, maybe i will!

p.s. there's plenty of indie games using the UE5 engine, hell, there's even free ones if you can be bothered looking... some of them even have actual combat and realist animations, instead of magical saws and auto win lootboxes

Yeah, definitely looks like it's worth $70:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zuNm1Ow-YA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTekcLCAZpI

"I'm not a Ubifangirl, but OMG the purdy water!! Take my money!!! Game of year!!!!"
So instead of understanding why your statement is insane hyperbole, you double down with it, and then decided to attempt to insult someone who correctly called you out for it?

Re: Skull and Bones Reviews
Feb 16, 2024, 23:08
Re: Skull and Bones Reviews Feb 16, 2024, 23:08
Feb 16, 2024, 23:08

Kxmode wrote on Feb 16, 2024, 22:24:
Here's a one-minute review.

Played for a couple of hours. SB is a lifeless clone of Black Flag with ship-only PVPVE. It felt like a boring checkbox theme park. The game REALLY wants you to go through a predefined process. Also, around 1.5 hours into the game, it introduced me to its store and ridiculous prices. All the "cool stuff" is store-only real money purchases, which is terrible considering this is a $60 game.

60%
And by cool stuff you mean literally nothing but cosmetic things, right? Stuff that can be 100% ignored? According to Uplay, I've got around 22 hours, and I never got a single prompt for the store.

My review, it's literally what they advertised on the tin, a wholly ship-based experience that is the same as you got in AC: Black Flag and what I remember everyone screaming for. If I had to have one actual complaint, it'd be that when on foot, it feels like they wanted to use tank controls as player momentum causes the character to randomly hitch. The only technical hitch I've got is that text chat doesn't work, but alas, I don't much care for that anyways.

Re: Virtual Reality Check
Feb 16, 2024, 18:18
Re: Virtual Reality Check Feb 16, 2024, 18:18
Feb 16, 2024, 18:18

Steele Johnson wrote on Feb 16, 2024, 16:34:
Steve Jobs is rolling over in his urn
Why would you say that? Jobs would be enjoying the hell out of what Apple is currently doing.

Feb 16, 2024, 17:24
Re: Skull and Bones Sets Sail Feb 16, 2024, 17:24
Feb 16, 2024, 17:24

Maybe my expectations are just that low, but I'm being entertained by the game. I mean, I don't know what too many people would expect, it's a pirate ship game.

Hell, it seems like a lot of people whom are upset seem to be revolving around the lack of walking around on land...in a game that they basically said was going to be purely ship-based Black Flag.

Re: Videogames as a Military Recruitment Tool
Feb 14, 2024, 20:21
Re: Videogames as a Military Recruitment Tool Feb 14, 2024, 20:21
Feb 14, 2024, 20:21

Leahi84 wrote on Feb 14, 2024, 19:52:
The military should have their funding slashed in half at least. We could fund health care and housing for the poor if we took away even half of their budget. Not a fan of them at all, and using games to recruit kids is just disgusting. I'm glad they are struggling to get more people to join. Hope it gets even worse for them.
While I agree with your sentiment about the spending, I don't think you quite understand what it would be like to have an understaffed/underqualified military. Again, recruiting 'kids' is a byproduct of them going after the most able-bodied, it's not a systemic action. Selective Service is far worse if you were to apples to apples compare, and yet very few people actually understand it.

Feb 14, 2024, 17:35
Re: Videogames as a Military Recruitment Tool Feb 14, 2024, 17:35
Feb 14, 2024, 17:35

Quboid wrote on Feb 14, 2024, 16:51:
DarkCntry wrote on Feb 14, 2024, 16:44:
We really shouldn't be a society where "doing your part" is literally the only way to make sure you have support.

Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
I tried so hard not to make a Starship Troopers reference, thank you for doing it for me

Feb 14, 2024, 16:44
Re: Videogames as a Military Recruitment Tool Feb 14, 2024, 16:44
Feb 14, 2024, 16:44

Beamer wrote on Feb 14, 2024, 16:19:
DarkCntry wrote on Feb 14, 2024, 16:01:
Beamer wrote on Feb 14, 2024, 15:46:
On one hand, I actually think the recruiter sitting in the HS cafeteria is far more predatory than any game exposure.

On the other hand, I recently used the college board calculator and saw that, with my income, if I had a kid it would cost him $360k to attend the same undergrad I did. $360k! If you were to invest monthly for 18 years, at a very healthy 8%, to save that for a kid it would be $800/m from birth to adulthood. But if you're starting now, you can be sure that number is way too low for where college will be in 18 years. 18 years ago, the cost to attend was $44k per year. It has doubled in 18 years. So, just assume that to save for a kid to go to that college it'd be $1600/m. So maybe the GI Bill is something HS kids need to know about, heh.

Excuse the rant, but Jesus. How the fuck are most families paying for college? If a kid is decently middle class they probably qualify for little assistance other than loans, and a kid taking out ~$300k in loans is basically coming out of school with a mortgage he wouldn't qualify for based upon his salary, and of course can't then buy a house when already paying that! That would be about $2k a month in loan payments on a 30 year plan that isn't income adjusted. The average graduate salary is $68k. Take home is $38k, or just over $3k/m...
Welcome to the realization that future generations are not going to have the same opportunities as the previous. Honestly, continuing education should be subsidized by the government simply because it adds value to society, but alas, we're stuck with the "but I had to pay for it" generations that don't understand that what they paid is nowhere near what is required today.

I mean, I've ranted on the costs of college here before. After all my degrees were done, I had six figures of loans to pay off.
But what kids are getting into today is just something else. $90k. $66k felt absurd, but breaking to a bunch of people hoping to soon be grandparents over the weekend that the actual cost of attendance is $90k broke some brains, I think.
And it's only going to get worse as time goes on. I'm assuming that most of us are Gen Xers here, so I feel safe in saying that our generation had the choice, continue education or immediately go into work and hope we can afford to own our own home. I owned a home until 2020, had to vacate because COVID killed a business we had and we 'made more than the threshold for support'...now I'm living in a rental home that is $1k/mth more than my mortgage payment. Luckily my wife was able to get a better paying job, but we're still very tight on money.

I just hate that we have to choose between bettering ourselves or being able to afford a roof over our heads, it shouldn't be such a stark binary response. There was even a time I thought about joining the military to at least have some level of financial security, but alas I couldn't get around medical/physical disqualifications. We really shouldn't be a society where "doing your part" is literally the only way to make sure you have support.

Feb 14, 2024, 16:01
Re: Videogames as a Military Recruitment Tool Feb 14, 2024, 16:01
Feb 14, 2024, 16:01

Beamer wrote on Feb 14, 2024, 15:46:
On one hand, I actually think the recruiter sitting in the HS cafeteria is far more predatory than any game exposure.

On the other hand, I recently used the college board calculator and saw that, with my income, if I had a kid it would cost him $360k to attend the same undergrad I did. $360k! If you were to invest monthly for 18 years, at a very healthy 8%, to save that for a kid it would be $800/m from birth to adulthood. But if you're starting now, you can be sure that number is way too low for where college will be in 18 years. 18 years ago, the cost to attend was $44k per year. It has doubled in 18 years. So, just assume that to save for a kid to go to that college it'd be $1600/m. So maybe the GI Bill is something HS kids need to know about, heh.

Excuse the rant, but Jesus. How the fuck are most families paying for college? If a kid is decently middle class they probably qualify for little assistance other than loans, and a kid taking out ~$300k in loans is basically coming out of school with a mortgage he wouldn't qualify for based upon his salary, and of course can't then buy a house when already paying that! That would be about $2k a month in loan payments on a 30 year plan that isn't income adjusted. The average graduate salary is $68k. Take home is $38k, or just over $3k/m...
Welcome to the realization that future generations are not going to have the same opportunities as the previous. Honestly, continuing education should be subsidized by the government simply because it adds value to society, but alas, we're stuck with the "but I had to pay for it" generations that don't understand that what they paid is nowhere near what is required today.

Feb 14, 2024, 15:08
Re: Videogames as a Military Recruitment Tool Feb 14, 2024, 15:08
Feb 14, 2024, 15:08

As someone who worked with the original team behind America's Army, they saw this as nothing more than if someone watched a movie with the Army involved, or if there were recruiters at high school. Hell, they weren't even paying attention to the ages playing the game outside of things like general regulatory bodies, as most of the people involved expected the majority of the players to be mid-teens to early adults, which is pretty standard. Anyone outside of that was more of a parental fail than the military.

I do think that they went a little too deep down the rabbit hole when they decided to parlay into the esports realm without actually understanding the world they were diving into.

Besides, of all the people I've had to talk to over the years who played America's Army, I cannot recall a single one saying that it ultimately influenced their decisions to join or not to join a branch of the military...or that actually joining would resemble what the game offered.

Internally, there were no recruitment quotas behind the game. It was really the brainchild of one Major who thought that TV commercials were dinosaurs to the current generation of people, so they thought 'why not get caught up' after seeing the popularity of games like Call of Duty and even ARMA...they took something like a 3% chunk of the overall marketing budget the Army puts aside to do the title, and then...well...ended up with mixed results on the final product.

I haven't looked at the project for like 4 or 5 years, so I don't even know what it entails today, but back in the first years, it was nothing more than an attempt to make a more 'realistic' portrayal of how the Army operates.

Re: Engagement Ring
Feb 11, 2024, 08:46
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 11, 2024, 08:46
Feb 11, 2024, 08:46

Kastagir wrote on Feb 11, 2024, 01:34:
Glad to see some are enjoying the game and are happy to wait for BGS to make it enjoyable enough to justify their purchase. Personally, I won't give $0.01 to a studio that insists on using obsolete technology and justifies it with lies, incompetence and a boring product but that's just me. While it's true that Starfield likely made $200M+ let's not forget that Microsoft paid $6.5BN to purchase BGS and expectations were that Starfield would yield a much larger profit through XBox exclusives. Once the modding tools and DLC are released maybe they will. That's great for those MS corporate guys like Phil Spencer, et al. It doesn't fill me with hope or giddy expectation for the next Elder Scrolls since they'll still be using this same broken engine developed by the same incompetent people and represented by the same lying game director.
Whatever happened to the days of letting people enjoy what they want without veiling it behind a poor underhanded insult?

If you don't like what a game does, then that is your choice, but to blanket statement with subjective opinions as if they are objective facts just screams bandwagoning.

Feb 10, 2024, 23:03
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 23:03
Feb 10, 2024, 23:03

GothicWizard wrote on Feb 10, 2024, 14:29:
Prez wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 19:06:
For the life of me I will never understand why writers think that this is big news about a single player game. It's not a live service, and it has an end. It was released 5 months ago. I can't think of one single player game that I was playing 5 months straight after release. My favorite game of all time, XCOM 2, had me playing about 2 straight months before I took a break from it.

Please explain to me why a 10 yr old SP game (Skyrim SE and FO4) has at least twice the number of players than this one by your logic.

Also BG3 is still over 110,000 players and just as old and SP.

*grabs popcorn*
BG3 also has a fairly robust modding scene.. it's also not just single player... it's also a completely different type of game...

Can you see where I am going with this? You're not debating in good faith and are using very vague comparisons to support your flimsy argument.

Feb 9, 2024, 22:55
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 9, 2024, 22:55
Feb 9, 2024, 22:55

Teddy wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 22:22:
Prez wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 20:49:
Teddy wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 20:28:
For the life of me I will never understand why writers think that this is big news about a single player game. It's not a live service, and it has an end. It was released 5 months ago. I can't think of one single player game that I was playing 5 months straight after release. My favorite game of all time, XCOM 2, had me playing about 2 straight months before I took a break from it.

In some cases this may be true, but the article puts it into better context. Starfield has 9,000 concurrent players at the writing of the article, while Skyrim which is more than 10 years old, has 25,000 concurrent players. Fallout 4 is averaging 15,000 concurrent players. It's not just that it has an end, so do those other games yet years and years after their release dates, they are eclipsing Starfield in player counts. Plain and simple, compared to almost any other Bethesda game, Starfield is a failure. Not financially, I'm sure, but then it sold largely based on the love for previous Bethesda games, not on its own merits.
Skyrim had lost 90% of it's players after 5 months following release.

Except that is not actually true. Having looked it up, 287k peak at release Nov 7 2011, 48k April 9 2012. Starfield on the other hand released with a peak of 330k and dropped to a current peak of 17k, 5 months later for equal comparisons. Again, comparing Bethesda games against one another, Starfield is a failure. People can throw out as many anecdotal "Me and my friend's loved it and are waiting on DLC or mods" all they want. The numbers make it clear that it simply was not as popular a game, despite high initial sales.
My anecdotal evidence is no different than yours...you're using a metric that doesn't tell the entire story and willfully ignoring the very stark differences in your original comparison.

Feb 9, 2024, 20:41
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 9, 2024, 20:41
Feb 9, 2024, 20:41

Teddy wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 20:28:

In some cases this may be true, but the article puts it into better context. Starfield has 9,000 concurrent players at the writing of the article, while Skyrim which is more than 10 years old, has 25,000 concurrent players. Fallout 4 is averaging 15,000 concurrent players. It's not just that it has an end, so do those other games yet years and years after their release dates, they are eclipsing Starfield in player counts. Plain and simple, compared to almost any other Bethesda game, Starfield is a failure. Not financially, I'm sure, but then it sold largely based on the love for previous Bethesda games, not on its own merits.
Both Skyrim and Fallout also have released their official mod tools, and thus really aren't comparable. Now, while Starfield has modding already taking place, they are not to the degree of Skyrim or Fallout.

That being said, I enjoyed the game from start to finish and I am holding off until the DLC comes out to continue playing, and, anecdotally, the friends I have that also own it are doing the same....

Re: Morning Metaverse
Feb 1, 2024, 17:39
Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 1, 2024, 17:39
Feb 1, 2024, 17:39

Prez wrote on Feb 1, 2024, 17:16:
I don't know who the girl collaborated with, and I don't really care. What little I know of her is that she's no dummy. She might come across as cute and innocent but that girl is as shrewd as anybody when it comes to business. Don't know much about her otherwise.
I don't know if I call it shrewd in so much as I'd say she took what worked and flew with it. I mean, I don't know if I call almost always being embroiled in some form of Internet controversy (as much as you can get with online personalities) being shrewd, but just more knowing how easy it is to exploit most people online.

Re: Palworld Passes 19M Players; Shares Roadmap
Feb 1, 2024, 17:35
Re: Palworld Passes 19M Players; Shares Roadmap Feb 1, 2024, 17:35
Feb 1, 2024, 17:35

Pr()ZaC wrote on Feb 1, 2024, 17:26:
DarkCntry wrote on Feb 1, 2024, 16:08:
While the concept that 'influencers' might have done their namesake, it doesn't account for those people sticking around.

The reason this game is popular is that it uses an established, and insanely popular, concept (see: Pokemon) and gives players what they have been asking for for years. It basically takes the established fanbase of the other games and pulls them over because it gives those players something the original games do not. The game also entertains the players by keeping them engaged in ways that the other franchise does not. There is a lot of 'spite playing' going on, which I would suggest is far more plausible reasoning than just influencers making this game popular.
As I said, the more players the merrier.
Also, I've never implied (nor explicitly said) the game can't stand on its own legs, questioned its quality or that the player base has grown exclusively because streamers/influencers.
They just spread the news in an instant among millions of subscribers, like they did with Among Us.
Your original statement was implying that without digital influencers we wouldn't be seeing the game doing this well, all I did was point out that those influencers are on the lower segment of the cause/effect scale and that, if anything, it is spite playing that is pushing a majority of continual interest.

Re: Rumor Mill
Feb 1, 2024, 17:05
Re: Rumor Mill Feb 1, 2024, 17:05
Feb 1, 2024, 17:05

Yifes wrote on Feb 1, 2024, 15:51:
DarkCntry wrote on Feb 1, 2024, 15:41:
While I understand the sentiment, you're just switching from an American conglomerate to a Chinese conglomerate...and honestly, the fewer things Tencent owns, the far better than Hasbro.

You're not just switching from an American conglomerate to a Chinese conglomerate. From Hasbro/WotC trying to fuck over all 3rd party content creators with the OGL changes, to raiding the home of some poor unsuspecting MtG youtuber, to firing hundreds of employees right before Christmas, it's really hard to argue that Tencent will be nearly as bad as Hasbro.
You're right about Hasbro, I'm not saying they are better, I'm just saying you're switching one issue with another. In Tencent's case, the CCP's control over them is far more problematic than just horrible corporate activities.
1339 Comments. 67 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    67  ] Older