Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 813 (Graduate)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans
73. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 4, 2018, 22:40 DarkCntry

Prez wrote on Aug 4, 2018, 21:07:
Quinn wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 02:32:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 02:03:
That image is hilarious.
It deserves to be the centerpiece of the white fragility museum.
... somebody spent time making that

This is what some white male gamer somewhere considers racism... the desire for more representation in video game characters.
God what a tough life.

...What you don't seem to understand is that the majority of gamers don't give a fuck about diversity in their games ...

See I have to disagree there. I want diversity - when it is natural and fits the game's theme and isn't ham-fistedly shoehorned in to tick a box on someone's politically correct checklist. The developer of 'Kingdom Come - Deliverance' took flack from a vocal minority of 'diversity or else!' internet activists when it became apparent that his Medieval RPG set in Europe circa 1200 AD only had white people. As in historically accurate. This was incredibly stupid and showed a distinct lack of logical critical thinking - people just wanted to be mad. On the flip-side I was rolling my eyes heavily when a vocal minority of 'No women, minorities, or gays in my vidyagames!' internet activists railed against the quirky but interesting game 'Virginia' because the lead was a black female FBI agent. That was just as stupid and proves that there are idiots on both sides. Her inclusion was natural, well-done, and important. 'Her Story' was another one. "OMG - there's a woman lead in a game! ARGHHHH!!!!!" Never mind that her performance was brilliant in that game.

The problem specifically with Bioware games' romance choices is that they are virtually the definition of "ham-fistedly shoehorned in to tick a box on someone's politically correct checklist". That goes for the gay and straight options - it's so predictable that there will be two hot women and 2 hot guys (I guess - not into that sort of thing myself) in your party and if you chose the nicey-nice dialog option often enough with a certain one you can get a little video of some noogie. And the completely out-of-place comment of Hainley mentioning having a dick out of the blue in Andromeda was so awkward that it was almost painful. Bioware sucks at this to be honest. Want to have a transgender character in your game? Have at it - doesn't bother me. Just write it in a natural, sensible way that doesn't feel like Bioware screaming "Look transgender community - we threw you a bone!" It's so jarring that it detracts from the game - not because diversity is bad, but because the writing is so often terrible when it pertains to alternative lifestyles. I just generally stay quiet on the subject lest I get lumped in with those being accused of being racist, homophobic, over-privileged white dudes. Labels are all-too-easily thrown around when the discussion comes up.

I agree, I like diversity in all my forms of entertainment, so long as, like you said, doesn't do so just to tick the social checkboxes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 4, 2018, 22:34 DarkCntry

Beamer wrote on Aug 4, 2018, 21:03:
DarkCntry wrote on Aug 4, 2018, 18:31:
Beamer wrote on Aug 4, 2018, 10:17:
DarkCntry wrote on Aug 4, 2018, 04:33:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 23:05:
DarkCntry wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 21:29:
I'd just kill for a game where political correctness wasn't shoved into my face. If a protagonist is white, blue, green, male, female, or neither, I don't care...I just want the game to be done in a way that makes it feel natural and not some pre-planned agenda.

What would constitute the shoving if it's not simple existence?
Does this require knowing developer intent from outside the game sources?

An obvious inclusion of something for the sake of including it when it has no direct requirement of existing.

A subjective example would be something like the Ghostbusters remake.

Yup, and the Baywatch remake, and the Texas Chainsaw remake, and the Wickerman remake, and the Planet of the Apes remake, and the Psycho remake, and the Arthur remake, and the Mummy remake...

Wait, no, we've just discovered that cynical remakes with no reason for existing are bad, not that diversity is forced. If you remember, the initial rumors for the Ghostbusters remake wasn't all women, so it was happening regardless. Unless you think the Ghostbusters remake would have had a reason for existing with a male cast, in which case...

The initial rumors for the Ghostbusters' remake were indeed about all-women because when it was found out the cast was already being discussed as such, and the rumors on that were that they weren't making an actual remake, but a continuation and that these were all related to the original cast in some way. Then those rumors turned into "well, maybe they are making new characters in the franchise universe", to what we got, which were female versions of the original characters that showed almost zero resemblance to said characters and were almost blatantly obvious as the answer to Hollywood being "hip to the womenz in strong roles".

The issue, these weren't strong roles for those casted and the writing for the movie totally dismissed the actual story in place of flipping gender stereotype roles in a very bad way...what we got was a horribly unfunny entry into an established franchise where all of the cast had no chemistry with one-another.

The other remakes you listed are a whole different story, as none of them tried to shoehorn an agenda into them to "prove a point" while ignoring what those franchises were about. Whether they are good or not is subjective, but on a whole, they aren't even close to what you're trying to compare them to.

Actually, the initial Ghostbusters remake rumors were Chris Pratt and Chris Hemsworth.

And how did it shoehorn an agenda? Because Paul Feig said something stupid? If you didn't hear that one quote, which was a reaction to people freaking out over vaginas in their 30 year old movie, would you have cared?

That they were women had no bearing on the poor quality of the movie.

The initial rumors I heard were that they were going with an all-female cast, which was made way back in 2014...

Other than that I paid absolutely no attention to what was being said from Feig or anyone on the actual project until it was released 2 years later...so I absolutely don't know what quote you're talking about.

The shoehorn of an agenda was when they took an established franchise and for no other reason than to appeal to an audience that had been very vocal up to this point they made them an all-female cast. The choice of cast members didn't have any chemistry, and the inclusion of Hemsworth's character was nothing but an overt jab at stereotyping the Janine character as a male, clueless secretary, and they even missed that by a country mile.

The movie's writing wasn't top-notch, but it boils down to bad chemistry between the actors, doing something because a market pressure said to do it, and overall missing the entire point of the original movie. I'd love to know where at any point did I say that the movie was only poor quality because of the all-female cast, since that seems to be the crux of your argument.

69. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 4, 2018, 18:31 DarkCntry

Beamer wrote on Aug 4, 2018, 10:17:
I'd just kill for a game where political correctness wasn't shoved into my face. If a protagonist is white, blue, green, male, female, or neither, I don't care...I just want the game to be done in a way that makes it feel natural and not some pre-planned agenda.

An obvious inclusion of something for the sake of including it when it has no direct requirement of existing.

Yup, and the Baywatch remake, and the Texas Chainsaw remake, and the Wickerman remake, and the Planet of the Apes remake, and the Psycho remake, and the Arthur remake, and the Mummy remake...

Wait, no, we've just discovered that cynical remakes with no reason for existing are bad, not that diversity is forced. If you remember, the initial rumors for the Ghostbusters remake wasn't all women, so it was happening regardless. Unless you think the Ghostbusters remake would have had a reason for existing with a male cast, in which case...

The initial rumors for the Ghostbusters' remake were indeed about all-women because when it was found out the cast was already being discussed as such, and the rumors on that were that they weren't making an actual remake, but a continuation and that these were all related to the original cast in some way. Then those rumors turned into "well, maybe they are making new characters in the franchise universe", to what we got, which were female versions of the original characters that showed almost zero resemblance to said characters and were almost blatantly obvious as the answer to Hollywood being "hip to the womenz in strong roles".

The issue, these weren't strong roles for those casted and the writing for the movie totally dismissed the actual story in place of flipping gender stereotype roles in a very bad way...what we got was a horribly unfunny entry into an established franchise where all of the cast had no chemistry with one-another.

The other remakes you listed are a whole different story, as none of them tried to shoehorn an agenda into them to "prove a point" while ignoring what those franchises were about. Whether they are good or not is subjective, but on a whole, they aren't even close to what you're trying to compare them to.

68. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 4, 2018, 18:24 DarkCntry

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 4, 2018, 10:52:

Sad to see what threatens you, we have all kinds of real issues and you worry about a fictional piece of work called Ghostbusters, which was remade with girls. Have you ever sat down and contemplated about some of these things that get to you, maybe a deep rooted issue within yourself?

You know why a girls version of GB was made? Because money marketeers in Hollywood felt that was a great way to make money and they have data to back that. It was made to generate money, same as it ever wuz. If you want more sausage-fest movies gather all your buddies and start going to the movies more and support dude-movies. Go so often that you can show dem girls... not to mess with you.

I'm not at all threatened by any of this, I'm just tired of the inclusion of something simply because it was a hot topic for the moment.

In the case of Ghostbusters, I would've been quite happy with the female cast, if one there was chemistry between the characters, and two, if they didn't just make it female because people "clamored for strong female leads" and then basically make the entire movie nothing but a 'girl power' exercise in reversed-roles. Chris Hemsworth's character alone is enough to see why they actually made the movie, and suffice to say it wasn't to give a twist on the Ghostbusters' franchise.

I mean, you actually supported my argument about why the remake was made, and it wasn't done in a way that made the characters feel organic and not as some underlying reason to push an agenda while totally ignoring the source material simply to be "edgy as fuck".

This is not some masculine-driven desire to see only male-led casts, nor is it some misogynistic desire to see women in some weaker role...it's a matter of seeing people cast for roles appropriate for them and not shoehorned into roles simply because they are male or female.

I have no problems with movies with strong female leads, or weaker male supporting roles....nor do I have any issue with the reverse, so long as the writing supports it and the characters being portrayed make sense.

52. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 4, 2018, 04:33 DarkCntry

50. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 3, 2018, 21:29 DarkCntry

News Comments > Life is Strange 2 in September
2. Re: Life is Strange 2 in September Jun 22, 2018, 20:33 DarkCntry

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 22, 2018, 18:27:
Ah yes, episodic gaming... this success story just keeps giving and giving one episode at a time... AWESOME!!!

Ah yes, the whining of someone who doesn't like X incapable of allowing others that do the freedom from hearing said whining. AWESOME!

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jun 15, 2018, 22:53 DarkCntry

Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2018, 22:29:
How the fuck are there people so fucking sad that "Achievement farming" is a goddamned THING???

It's no different than leaderboards, or other "Top" player lists.

News Comments > Forts Free Multiplayer Weekend
2. Re: Forts Free Multiplayer Weekend Jun 8, 2018, 00:03 DarkCntry

Slick wrote on Jun 7, 2018, 22:33:
According to steam reviews this is a bullshit slimy marketing prank. There is no free weekend, it's a 10-minute demo and then you're hit with the BUY NOW screen.

Which is garbage because there's already a way to add a "demo" feature to your steam store page. Free weekends are supposed to be free weekends, not 10-minute advertisements.

I guess we can thank the zero Valve employees that looked at this before running it. And it's not like free weekends happen even 50 times a year...

It's a free MP weekend. It was Valve forgetting to add that part of the free weekend bit, apparently EarthWorks added the first part of the campaign though.

News Comments > Steam Opening the Gates
29. Re: Steam Opening the Gates Jun 6, 2018, 21:44 DarkCntry

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 21:32:
DarkCntry wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 21:20:
Sacrifice wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 21:12:
I see a lot of complaints about shovelware on Steam. That may be true, but do people browse directly on Steam for new games? I just use gaming sites like Blues News to find games that I might like.

What I don't really understand is that people are getting so bent out of shape when it's really nothing different except instead of physical copies of shit games being on store shelves, we have digital copies of shit games on virtual shelves.

I can remember walking into various stores and seeing shit games all over the shelves back in the mid-90s, you didn't see me complain to the store, I just moved on and bought something that I wanted.

That comparison is not very good at all because brick & mortar stores always kept a conservative stock of current games only in maybe an aisle or two at most.

Steam's "stock" spans over a decade of game releases and thousands upon thousands of games.

For a more apt comparison, imagine a brick & mortar store that is filled to the brim with fifty aisles of game boxes and extra displays and shovelware out da azz.

Then try to find a good indie game, i.e. one of the underrated gems that is really awesome (no one here is arguing that finding GTA V is hard, I hope) but that is buried between other boxes about mid-way in aisle no. 37.

You're joking right? You have never heard of stores like Toys R Us, KB Toys, EB Games/Babbages, Software ETC?

It doesn't matter how good or 'indie' the titles were, there were plenty of ways around that (see: catalogs, mail-orders, etc), where you could just as easily obtained something you were looking for.

That said, it still doesn't change the underlying argument here...the amount of titles on Steam mean jack shit, the age of titles on Steam mean jack shit...it's the simple fact that the only difference today than it was 'back in the day' is that everything is digital and available without you leaving your house, it doesn't change that the motions for buying something.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 6, 2018, 21:28 DarkCntry

Cutter wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 17:33:
And Valve owes them what exactly?

Technically I'd say they are owed equal treatment...before there were plenty of games on Steam that glorified various adult content that Valve turned a blind eye to simply because they were large-scale (or AAA) titles and would garner Valve a fairly large slice of the income pie.

Almost all visual novels are a niche market, not all that include adult content are made for sexual titillation, and many of them are far more involved to the adult content as a story marker than some titles that throw it in for the edginess...but were denied on Steam because they weren't going to bring in the big bucks.

News Comments > Steam Opening the Gates
23. Re: Steam Opening the Gates Jun 6, 2018, 21:20 DarkCntry

Sacrifice wrote on Jun 6, 2018, 21:12:
I see a lot of complaints about shovelware on Steam. That may be true, but do people browse directly on Steam for new games? I just use gaming sites like Blues News to find games that I might like.

What I don't really understand is that people are getting so bent out of shape when it's really nothing different except instead of physical copies of shit games being on store shelves, we have digital copies of shit games on virtual shelves.

I can remember walking into various stores and seeing shit games all over the shelves back in the mid-90s, you didn't see me complain to the store, I just moved on and bought something that I wanted.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2018, 08:17 DarkCntry

jdreyer wrote on May 27, 2018, 13:07:
I was wondering if any of that stuff was true or not. I've been aware of TB for years, but never watched his vids of followed anything surrounding them.

Still, it's shitty to crap on someone you had a disagreement with just as they passed.

Most of the vitriol aimed at TB stemmed from a few things, two of the largest is a series of tweets near a decade ago telling someone to get cancer and die (you know, a common statement on the Internet that I'm sure a lot of people have done, or worse), which he later apologized for and the person he was speaking to accepted the apology and they moved on (Context for everything).

The other issue was TB's involvement with GamerGate...which to say was so far as to the original message of the movement for transparency and ethics accountability in gaming journalism...all before the *chan generation decided to modify the purpose of the movement.

This lead people to label TB as a cancer on gaming, nazi, misogynist, transphobe, and pretty much every negative-connotation label you could throw a stick at...while ignoring that he spearheaded a large Charity Water donation drive, been an outspoken support of of indie developers, support for the LGBT gaming community, and the overall impact he had on advocating consumer rights in gaming.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 May 28, 2018, 05:11 DarkCntry

heroin wrote on May 28, 2018, 03:40:
Yeah, what the hell - that list looks like it could be out of the Walmart budget bin.

It's more a "what's hot on Youtube/Twitch right now" kinda list. Well, except for the several AAA titles, the Stellaris DLC, and the normal PUBG craze.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Free Weekend
12. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Free Weekend May 18, 2018, 18:03 DarkCntry

thecakeisalie wrote on May 18, 2018, 14:47:
I am not willing to forgive them putting the game out as pay-to-win with gambling boxes then only walking it back once the money started to dry up. It's a no sale for me at any price.

You know, to this day no one can say how this was pay to win and not pay to skip the game?

I mean, I purchased 0 boxes in the entire time that I played the game, I completed it, I even got the "true" ending. Never once did I even feel compelled to buy a box with money. Hell, I only actually purchased one box with the in-game currency that was effectively shooting out of dead Orcs and I only did it to 'advance' past the tutorial bit about it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2018, 02:46 DarkCntry

That Robin Williams article still shows how raw it is for me that he is gone. Having had to deal with family members who have suffered from degenerative brain issues it made that entire article both hard to read and better allowed me to understand the final days of Robin.

Having met him multiple times over the course of 3 decades he remembered each of them, and to understand just how difficult it had to be towards the end for him to do it, it only makes things feel that much worse off.

Probably the only celebrity that I'll ever meet that when interacting with them was like interacting with a personal friend just makes me miss him that much more.

News Comments > Get The Witcher Free
24. Re: Get The Witcher Free Apr 30, 2018, 17:41 DarkCntry

ForgedReality wrote on Apr 30, 2018, 16:47:
I love the Witcher series, don't get me wtong, but in the books, Geralt only ever has one sword--a silver one. Why the devs decided it was necessary to include another, regular, boring-old steel sword confounds me. It just adds unnecessary complexity and confusion for new players. Maybe they just wanted to create something that stands out from the crowd, much like Geralt himself, but, really, it's just more shit to manage in the game that was unnecessary to begin with.

I played through 2 and 3 but never played 1. I'm not sure I could trudge through it these days...

Mechanics-wise, it makes some sense to differentiate damage between monsters and men, which is why the inclusion of the steel swords were made.

News Comments > Uwe Boll's Rampage
7. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 31, 2018, 00:43 DarkCntry

Stormsinger wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 00:05:
I'm sure the half-dozen fans of Boll's films won't be at all confused.

I am not entirely sure about that, I mean, those fans are probably confused by the simple autonomic action of breathing.

News Comments > Overwatch Tease
6. Re: Overwatch Tease Feb 23, 2018, 23:59 DarkCntry

Frijoles wrote on Feb 23, 2018, 17:45:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 23, 2018, 14:26:
Maybe a new Defense since that's the only category yet to receive a new character.

Isn't Orisa defense?

She's a tank...characters like Junkrat, Mei, Widow, etc are defense characters.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Feb 19, 2018, 09:45 DarkCntry

Beamer wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 07:03:
NicklePop wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 01:19:
Whatever you think of Trump -- at least it's not Hillary in office!

War hawk, sociopath, created the private prison complex.

Neocon.

Trump is Lincoln in comparison

You're the guy that said Christianity is the solution, right?

Well, a form of it apparently...that said, they also see nothing but positive when it comes to Star Citizen (hey, trying to keep this tangent game-related ;))

813 Comments. 41 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo