Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 688 (Apprentice)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Banned From Twitch, 'Bikini Streamer' Finds Success (And Haters) On YouTube. Sep 26, 2016, 23:06 DarkCntry

Characters such as Zoie's and Kaceytron have their lots in life, but honestly I wish they didn't. It feeds the Internet's obsession over sex and immaturity of such subjects.

I also find it funny how fast people get onto things like exploiting gambling addictions but are quick to dismiss those that are exploiting sexual content in the world of gaming.

As for Mordecai's comparison, Twitch is pretty even with their banning of both males and females in terms of skin showing, and the ones I've seen banned have been simply because it literally was their entire schtick. Now, if you want to get into Twitch being uneven in banning, you look at things like drinking on stream. There are several major Twitch partners who have entire cast themes around getting drunk on stream, but if one is not a partner or not a large one, then they'll get the ban-hammer faster than you can blink.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioShock: The Collection PC Upgrades Detailed
4. Re: BioShock: The Collection PC Upgrades Detailed Sep 9, 2016, 21:15 DarkCntry

Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 21:01:
Turns out I have the first Bioshock as a separate physical game, and the other 2 on Steam. I'm probably shit out of luck to get the Remastered version for free.

If you somehow still have proof of purchase for the original Bioshock, you send that and your steam ID to them and then they'll hook you up. Of course, that means you have to have a receipt for a game that's like 9 years old.

News Comments > EA Service Outages
4. Re: EA Service Outages Sep 1, 2016, 00:04 DarkCntry

Jivaro wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 23:29:
If their Twitter feed is to be believed, they did it just to get some other dude's attention. Once they had it, they ceased the attack.

So how come Madden, SWTOR, and Battlefield 1 are all still having issues then? Particularly if it was such a short lived DDOS?

Or like most of Poodle Corp's previous 'DDoS' activities, it wasn't actually them and they only claimed it was them.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2016, 20:30 DarkCntry

nin wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 12:25:
Cat Olympics 2016.

Good lord, the gut on that cat at :24. Might want to get that looked at...

Not an uncommon thing in cats that are fixed. A lot of them gain a pouch-like flap of loose skin.

News Comments > Batman: The Telltale Series - Episode 1 Released
3. Re: Batman: The Telltale Series - Episode 1 Released Aug 3, 2016, 17:35 DarkCntry

Tachikoma wrote on Aug 3, 2016, 14:19:
So this garbage costs 25 bucks, yet people choose to bitch about the price of NMS. Big lol @ moderntimes.

This is a narrative game from a company that people have come to trust when it deals with narrative-driven games...a good track record when it comes to quality too.

You're comparing apples to oranges mate, NMS is a game with apparently shallow gameplay and no real narrative draw from a company that no one knows. Your blind faith in a company is admirable, but honestly you're barking up the wrong tree.

News Comments > More Overwatch Bans
13. Re: More Overwatch Bans Aug 2, 2016, 03:56 DarkCntry

Kajetan wrote on Aug 2, 2016, 03:22:
And it will solve nothing. People will buy new keys, register new accounts and simply keep on cheating.

But hey, at least you lot got a giggle out of this

Except Blizzard has been hardware locking people...so buy all the keys you want and they'll find themselves still banned

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
17. Re: Into the Black Aug 2, 2016, 00:57 DarkCntry

Beamer wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 19:17:
DarkCntry wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 16:17:
As an American that uses the chips, I haven't noticed a big difference in the time it takes to authorize a chip opposed to authorizing a stripe. Maybe a couple of seconds (not the 10+ they say in the article) here and there, but overall I don't seem to see something that slows down check-outs except the non-educated employees/customers, which honestly is a problem.

I will admit that I do have an issue where it's not consistent at who accepts the chip and who doesn't...to the point where I have to go "swipe or insert?"

The other oddity for me is that I've never had to sign with my cards as the ones I use (Wells Fargo and Chase, two of the largest out there) use PINs, so it seems weird that the article states the opposite is common.

It's definitely over 10 seconds for me. I counted 25 at the CVS last night.

5 minutes ago....

CVS, entered loyalty number, inserted card right after, finished ringing up all the stuff (6 items, with one needing prescription authorization, about 35ish seconds), inserted PIN, 4.24 seconds later it was authorized and I was told to remove the card.

All-in-all, in this instance comparable to your case, it wasn't any more time than if I were to swipe, cause I checked that after with another purchase...

Entered loyalty number, swiped card, entered PIN, waited for the stuff to ring up (3 items, about 15 or so seconds), 3.72 seconds later it authorized and I was done.

Times done with a stopwatch on my phone. I'm going to truly assume that the article is either using a small pool for their findings, or I'm just the super luckiest guy or something.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
3. Re: Into the Black Jul 31, 2016, 16:17 DarkCntry

As an American that uses the chips, I haven't noticed a big difference in the time it takes to authorize a chip opposed to authorizing a stripe. Maybe a couple of seconds (not the 10+ they say in the article) here and there, but overall I don't seem to see something that slows down check-outs except the non-educated employees/customers, which honestly is a problem.

I will admit that I do have an issue where it's not consistent at who accepts the chip and who doesn't...to the point where I have to go "swipe or insert?"

The other oddity for me is that I've never had to sign with my cards as the ones I use (Wells Fargo and Chase, two of the largest out there) use PINs, so it seems weird that the article states the opposite is common.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Valve lawyers send cease-and-desist letters to Counter-Strike gambling sites. Jul 20, 2016, 19:32 DarkCntry

Also known as "Valve states, 'Please stop trying to sue us for being apathetic about kids gambling via our stuff'"  

News Comments > Overwatch Adds New Character
16. Re: Overwatch Adds New Character Jul 19, 2016, 23:54 DarkCntry

Genji's role is harasser, similar to Tracer's. He's the hard counter to Bastion and any other high ROF target.

He is simply supposed to be bouncing around taking out stragglers and pulling people away from groups and/or pulling people away from objectives. Anyone who doesn't realize this doesn't understand his role, and playing him in said role is probably the easiest in the entire game outside of Torb and Bastion.

Mastering him, however, is difficult, as he relies on being in the faces of players in a game that is for all intents and purposes played as a general FPS. When you bring melee combat in, it generally screws with people's mindsets and makes it difficult for people to adjust to the style, by either playing Genji badly or playing against a decent Genji badly.

As a Junkrat-focused player, I can attest that against a *good* Genji player it's difficult to deal with and against a *bad* Genji player it's almost like he doesn't exist, however in my experience it's also rarer to find those two extremes and even rarer to not be able to adjust to them.

That being said, a good player for any of the characters can decimate an entire team, or bring an entire team down...low skill-cap characters like Bastion and Soldier are going to easily dominate a team if they are half-way decent at the game, where-as a high skill-cap character such as Winston (see: used effectively) or Genji is going to appear that much more extreme when given to either good or not-so-good players.

Another example is Mercy, she's effectively a point and click character to play, however effective Mercy play is knowing when to hold the ultimate, when to heal, and when to boost...

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Jul 16, 2016, 22:26 DarkCntry

Worked wonders for Zed when he complained to HiRez about Kali and Ramana being in Smite way back in 2012........  

News Comments > Evolve Stage 2 Details
32. Re: Evolve Stage 2 Details Jul 8, 2016, 17:30 DarkCntry

Overon wrote on Jul 7, 2016, 22:26:
Of course people can buy whatever they want, ultimately. That doesn't mean I can't try to persuade them not to.

But to demean them for doing it is not an attempt to persuade, it's just flat out demeaning.

There were editions for different preorder bonuses from different places which had different DLC included.

Retail promotionals shouldn't even factor into it, seeing as you'd be doing literally the same thing for every major release in the last 10 years. Beyond that, to content was literally just cosmetic bullshit once again, so that boils back down to my original list.

News Comments > Evolve Stage 2 Details
27. Re: Evolve Stage 2 Details Jul 7, 2016, 19:55 DarkCntry

Overon wrote on Jul 7, 2016, 17:51:
These devs/publisher are beyond pathetic. Nobody is buying their game, so they figure they will make money selling skins than buying the game. And what's equally pathetic is that they are right. It amazes me to this day that people will pay money for cosmetic virtual goods. Donate that shit to a charity instead. What's the matter with you?

What does it matter to you what other people spend THEIR money on? Every day people buy stupid shit and that's their own prerogative, since it doesn't affect you in any way, it shouldn't even matter.

I remember when the game was released and you needed a fucking spreadsheet to figure out what all the DLC packages and game editions that it came with. Fuck these devs/publisher. But gamers seem to have a very short memory. Send a message that behavior is anti consumer and not acceptable.

A spreadsheet for what?

Game
Season Pass
Game + Season Pass
Cosmetic DLC

That was what was available at release. I remember the same bitching over when Company of Heroes 2 was released, and the same teeth gnashing over shit that wasn't even worth the time to bitch about.

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat?
27. Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 6, 2016, 18:22 DarkCntry

Suppa7 wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 08:54:
DarkCntry wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 23:47:
And I really do enjoy your colorful attempt at totally not understanding the gaming industry, it makes for a great laugh.

There's nothing "colorful" about it, in terms of the laws of nature why should anyone pay for a game who's functionality can be destroyed by the game company? You're a moron if you don't believe the game industry is corrupt and filled with criminals. It all began with MMO's and king gabe infecting games multiplayer code only they control.

How is diablo 3 better than diablo 2 in terms of your rights as a paying customer? AKA diablo 3 can be 'shut off', whereas the multiplayer still functions without internet in diablo 2 to this day.

Yes, the gaming industry is so full of corrupt criminals...........could you throw any more hyperbole to totally create a sentiment that you don't want to have a rational discourse? You're calling me a moron when you've basically just called out a content distribution platform and a specific genre as the entirety of the entire industry...there's a pot over there screaming at you.

Games change, everything changes to suit the needs of both the company and the ever-changing commercial environments, it's not just one industry that adopts it, it's every facet of life.

Progress is a road that has so many different directions, many are bad, others aren't...to lump an entire industry together based upon the largest aspects only goes to show how little you know and how much you just want to shit on it.

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat?
22. Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 23:47 DarkCntry

Suppa7 wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 23:07:
Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 12:21:
Rampant cheating does a property harm so the devs should be suing the shit out of anyone who engages in cheating. Make people afraid to do it.

Say what, game companies are scum, if games had multiplayer code include with the game like unreal and quake 3 in the 90's none of this would be a fucking problem since everyone can run their own server. People who want to cheat can cheat to their hearts content. This is videogames we're talking about. The last 20 years have seen the averager gamer bend over bukkake style and take it in the mouth from corporate criminals that infest videogameland. Modern AAA PC game modding has been curtailed from where it used to be because everything is now locked down.

No one in their right mind should want a game who's multiplayer can be disabled by the flip of a server off button.
I think you made a left turn instead of a right turn at the correct topic...

I'm not entirely sure how we've moved from the world of people using cheat scripts to that of server-locked content. If you are somehow trying to say that these cheaters didn't exist "back in the day" then I have no other belief than to think you're a total blind idiot.

Cheaters don't want to play with other cheaters, it doesn't give them the thrill of totally decimating the average user, so no, giving them their own servers ala "the olden days" doesn't make the problem disappear. If you honestly thought that Quake and Unreal didn't have their fair share of cheaters/hackers/etc, then you are either completely naive or just a seriously sad attempt at a troll.

And I really do enjoy your colorful attempt at totally not understanding the gaming industry, it makes for a great laugh.

News Comments > Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway
51. Re: Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway Jun 24, 2016, 06:06 DarkCntry

El Pit wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 03:28:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 03:12:
Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 20:48:
The keys are legit, they're just people using regional pricing to their advantage. Fuck the devs and publishers and Steam. So they'll lower prices in some places but raise them in others? Again, fuck them. Stellaris is on sale in Russia for the equivalent of $12 yet I'm supposed to pay $40 for the same item? If they were acting in good faith to begin with sites like G2A wouldn't exist. It's their own damn fault.

You should go eat dinner at an Indian restaurant and leave $2 for the bill, since that's what a curry dinner would cost you in India. Just leave a note, "Regional pricing, bitches." Just don't whine when your boss starts paying you $1 per hour, because that's what your job pays in Indonesia.

That comparison is so hilariously off, I don't know where to start with the explanation. Therefore, I won't even bother. Some hints, though: indian wages and raw material prices in comparison to US/EU/AUS/NZ and so on, etc., pp. It is not even apples and oranges, it is submarines and eggs.

The point was simply that regional prices are based upon regional cost of living. For example, ever wonder why homes in San Francisco go for millions of dollars for sub-1000 sq/ft where you go two states over in any direction and the same square footage is like a thirds of the price at worst?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 22, 2016, 03:29 DarkCntry

1badmf wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 18:04:
Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 17:16:
1badmf wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 17:08:
PHJF wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 16:52:
Papa John's is DEFINITELY the worst.

whaaaaaaaat!!? i like papa john's. like, alot. i can't believe anyone would choose pizza the hut or domino's over PJ's.

I pity the people for whom those are the only choices.

Also, Pizza Hut sells the most pizzas in the US. I can't remember the last time I saw a Pizza Hut. I've lived all across the US, and have traveled considerably. I see Papa John's and Domino's frequently. Never, ever Pizza Hut, but they're #1 on volume.

I'd agree PJ is better than Domino's and, from what I recall when I last had it in the early 90s, Pizza Hut, but that's like saying a punch to the stomach is better than one to the crotch or to the face.

socal has ample local pizza options and i still like PJs better. i don't know why anyone would hate on peppercinis cuz there's zero downside to having them even if you don't like them, and lots of people love the garlic sauce.

I would probably say that it's all up to the employees at these places, as the area I live in has the major players (Pizza Hut, Little Caesars, Dominos, Papa Johns) and they are all pretty decent...except for Little Caesars....no matter where I have lived, their pizzas always taste like cardboard.

Although, if I am not needing delivery, I will happily pick MOD Pizza over any of them.

News Comments > PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing
2. Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 17, 2016, 22:10 DarkCntry

Bill Borre wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 21:41:
I wonder if EverQuest is next?

Doubtful, EQ still has at least a skeleton crew doing work on it, as well as it is still making some money for Daybreak in some fashion.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. May 31, 2016, 14:43 DarkCntry

My understanding is that everything in the Warcraft movie is disjointed from a theatrical standpoint, but 'lore-nerds' will find some entertainment with all the little nods they throw in.

*IF* I go see it in the theaters, I'll keep my expectations where I normally keep them for these tent pole movies, which is simply to take them at face value and as a popcorn Summer flick...like I did with X-Men.

News Comments > EA Origin Access Adds ME Trilogy and More
6. Re: EA Origin Access Adds ME Trilogy and More May 27, 2016, 04:10 DarkCntry

NetHead wrote on May 26, 2016, 08:27:
The thing is with it being a limited EA catalogue, which is limited to begin with, I will never subscribe, they will never get a singe cent from me and I doubt I'm the only one.

If there were subscription services with games from every publisher that would at least make sense, otherwise it's like subscribing to multiple cable/TV/movie publishers for chunks of content. Something I won't support. They need to get over themselves and I don't think anyone should take the EA subscription thing seriously until they offer, at the very least, ALL EA games on it.

They seem to be trying to create a situation where people pay them monthly subscription fees, and pay for full new games, and pay for "DLC" often cut from said games (nevermind "DLC" which is a single texture on an object). Could you imagine they have their way, they would make US cable providers and ISPs look like hard working providers with value, or just amateur thieves.

If they had put the ME trilogy on something like GOG for a decent price I would have gotten it. Otherwise I'm not giving them a dime to be locked into them and sure as hell not for them to have the ability to pull the plug on my content when they feel like it (especially on a purchase) or due to some error, be it out of malice, stupidity or even a lack of an internet connection.

Guess I'm an old phogie, as when I pay for a game I expect nothing less than being able to play it when I want, whenever my time allows, aswell as where ever I want without having to ask for permission.

Those are my terms and I don't think they're unreasonable, they can either make money out of it, or not.

What you just described already exists with premium networks like HBO with their original content. Yes, you can obtain it elsewhere later down the line (or as-is via other less-than-legal methods), but overall you're looking at paying extra for piecemeal content that is specific to that particular network (see: Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, etc etc). As was mentioned in the reply before yours, the incremental sports releases alone are plenty enough value if you like those sports games.

There have been attempts at creating an all-inclusive subscription service for games via both streaming and downloading via places like OnLive, but both the lack of decent bandwidth and an incomplete library (see: just small) and it really just doesn't work.

The irony with the comment about not purchasing when they have the ability to deny you access to the content is funny, unless of course you don't purchase via Steam, as the system is the exact same...however it's an apples to oranges comparison because you don't pay a subscription to Valve for a la carte access to their library of software.

688 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo