Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 784 (Graduate)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Delayed
3. Re: Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Delayed Oct 15, 2017, 07:38 DarkCntry

loomy wrote on Oct 14, 2017, 13:37:
the beta users have been getting multiple surveys a week in recent weeks. clearly microsoft uses data for decisions. I personally didn't install it because it requires the microsoft store and then some xbox store on top of that. no more downloading games like the old days
Uses the Windows Store and the Xbox Insider Hub. The Insider Hub is basically where Microsoft puts all of their gaming-related testing and is really just an app extension of the normal Insider group.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 13, 2017, 19:04 DarkCntry

DangerDog wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 16:20:
Developer to hand out bans, for a single player game.

lol

they'll probably make idle threats about not supporting the PC platform going forward.

There are online components involved, to which they will probably bar access to that.

Beyond that...who really cares?

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released
37. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 11, 2017, 19:27 DarkCntry

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 19:23:
Shadow of War's Denuvo Cracked in One Day
I hope they got their moneys worth.
Considering that most of the major publishers put it in for the two common types of piracy, day 1 and casual, it's probably not far off to say they might have.

35. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 11, 2017, 18:28 DarkCntry

aka_STEVE wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 09:02:
loot boxes are not needed to completely dominate , I'm barely lvl 5 or so and have 3 'EPIC' gear pieces just by defeating captains in the very first castle area.....

First area, collect the poetry pieces (probably about 15 minutes if you're being slow), put them on the barrows door, presto, your first real bonafide legendary.

26. Re: Console FoV Oct 10, 2017, 19:14 DarkCntry

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 11:24:
DarkCntry wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 10:07:
Jagacademy wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 09:44:
The FoV is 60, with no way to change it. I'm sorry, but there is just absolutely no excuse for this in any game released in the last 25 years. It is almost impossible to comprehend, borderline criminal.

Avoid this game like the plague.

Honestly, even with the FOV that low, it's a third-person game...

Hell though, I'm just surprised the first reply wasn't someone complaining about the lootboxes despite them being wholly inconsequential.

Have you bothered to read how the loot boxes effect the game? From your comment it is rather evident you have not!
Sure, I've bothered to read them, as well as I've bothered to actually play the game.

Here's the thing...there was one review that focused on the 'necessity' of the lootboxes, and that was Polygon...you know, the same place that employs people that ask for a boss skip feature in Cuphead or the inability to actually shoot in fire in Doom...do you honestly think it's a good idea to take the word of people that have time and time again shown their inability to actually play video games?

2. Re: Console FoV Oct 10, 2017, 10:07 DarkCntry

Jagacademy wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 09:44:
The FoV is 60, with no way to change it. I'm sorry, but there is just absolutely no excuse for this in any game released in the last 25 years. It is almost impossible to comprehend, borderline criminal.

Avoid this game like the plague.

Honestly, even with the FOV that low, it's a third-person game...

Hell though, I'm just surprised the first reply wasn't someone complaining about the lootboxes despite them being wholly inconsequential.

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens
47. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 7, 2017, 03:07 DarkCntry

Slick wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 01:28:
So I'll assume that most people commenting haven't actually played the free open beta that's happening right now.

I seem to be the only one who has? You're all talking like cunts throwing spitballs from the cheap seats.

Why don't you make a grounded argument based on evidence? instead of just self-fellating philosophical about the musings of corporate hegemony while having zero first-hand experience?

For instance:

They seem to have totally revamped the space combat mode to be the other "main" game mode alongside the 40-man "walker assault" type. And that's doing that mode a disservice, as the map switched halfway from "walker assault" to the other game mode they introduced in the DLC from the first game, cap 1 of X flags to proceed. The Space battles seem to have taken their cues entirely from the "Death Star" DLC from the first game, as they're also multi-stage objective-based games that feel like they have a real progression.

Unfortunately, FoV in space is 12, and seems to be unchangeable. This is totally unacceptable and makes me want to puke. I don't know what to make of this if it's unchangeable on release. It's a possible deal breaker.

The space combat is far better than the original, as there's no "lock on" mechanic that I've found for your main laser guns. Instead, you have a circle reticule that leads your target similar to other space-sims, so you actually have to land shots, and you can, at range, with no assists. It feels much more satisfying.
I've played it for a few hours...space combat still seems too floaty for me.

As for the progression system...I really wish it wasn't in there, but at least it is better than Battlefield 1's...I just really don't like the star card system for upgrades instead of just side-grades.

christheshitter wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 02:24:
F*ck this game. Can't phantom why everyone here drools over this piece of garbage. It looks, handles and plays like shit.

You guys must be going on drugs or something.
It must be a menace to your sensibilities that there might be things out there that other people like and you don't..

Also, the word you're looking for is fathom.

News Comments > Fortnite Battle Royale Battles Cheaters
2. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Battles Cheaters Oct 6, 2017, 14:00 DarkCntry

Morn wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 13:29:
People play this?!
No, it's just another conspiracy from the Illuminati and Lizard People.....

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2017, 13:47 DarkCntry

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 10:23:
  • DarkCntry wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 08:04:
    jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 03:11:
    That will never stand up, and the guy will sue the police for violation of first amendment protections.
    I only skimmed the actual article, so I don't know of the full events...

However, if said person was impersonating an actual officer, then there might be grounds. Not saying that is what happened here, just giving a bit of the whole "devil's advocate" side of things.
    At least you skimmed it, the not my president would have got the fox talk show version.

Well, then he'd only act on it if the ratings were good.........

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
    2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2017, 08:04 DarkCntry

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 03:11:
    That will never stand up, and the guy will sue the police for violation of first amendment protections.
    I only skimmed the actual article, so I don't know of the full events...

However, if said person was impersonating an actual officer, then there might be grounds. Not saying that is what happened here, just giving a bit of the whole "devil's advocate" side of things.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Warmonger Trailer
    7. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Warmonger Trailer Oct 3, 2017, 22:03 DarkCntry

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2017, 20:35:
    DarkCntry wrote on Oct 2, 2017, 19:39:
    The game difficulty wasn't adjusted to maximize the use of the boxes. The only ones that truly help you play the game are obtainable rather easily via in-game currency.

You kind of have to take their word at that, though. Every dev says "Oh no, you can earn everything easy without spending extra money!" and then a lot of the times it turns out their idea of easy is "grind 60 hours."

Not saying SoM2 is going to be like that, but if there truly is no need for loot boxes, nobody would buy them. And Warned Bros is a giant DICK of a publisher.

I'll err on the side of caution.

I've had some pretty extensive hands-on with the game, and my experience has shown me that the shop is effectively only going to be 'abused' by people who either want a very, very specific Orc or those that want to flex their e-peen.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Warmonger Trailer
    5. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Warmonger Trailer Oct 2, 2017, 19:39 DarkCntry

thecakeisalie wrote on Oct 2, 2017, 17:31:
    CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 2, 2017, 17:02:
    If y'all want to support this lootbox microtransaction scam then please do it all-out and preorder the gold version for $99.99 on Steam directly. I mean why hold back? Just do it! You know you want to.

This is pretty much why I'm not buying it. The regular game will no doubt be designed as such a grindfest as to "encourage" you to buy the microtransaction pay-to-win loot boxes (like Dead Space 3 was or maybe even worse). If you want to do their online ranked mode, you'll need to buy them to have any chance, just like people spend thousands on mobile games to "win" at any cost.

Here's a simple fact about the game...

The game difficulty wasn't adjusted to maximize the use of the boxes. The only ones that truly help you play the game are obtainable rather easily via in-game currency.

The online leaderboards are nothing but e-peen contests and honestly, have literally no bearing on how the game is actually played.

Who knows, one day someone might actually investigate things before flying off the handle.

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
    23. Re: Emulation and the Law Oct 1, 2017, 18:12 DarkCntry

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 15:50:
    DarkCntry wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 03:54:
    All I can see here is "hey you kids, get off my lawn" rhetoric.

It has nothing to do with it, if people didn't fall all overthemselves and gave money to mmo's they would have been completely local pieces of game software, mmo is a marketing term, both UO and wow have private servers that were made via reverse engineering. You and the stupid masses are just butthurt you are too stupid to understand your stupidity. You don't give a rats ass you feed these companies corruption you are such cult like corporate ball lickers. The reality is games are being destroyed because cunts like you are too stupid to understand the world around you.

Anti intellecutalism and gaming go hand in hand, everything bad that has happened to games is because the average gamer is a fucking idiot which you prove in spades.

Telling someone they are too stupid to realize their own stupidity while they don't realize their own stupidity is pretty much what I am getting here...

As I said, MMOs weren't the first to create a subscription-style system, nor where they first to be wholly controlled remotely...the fact that you seem stuck on this shows that you've had an MMO touch you inappropriately somewhere and might find help in talking to someone about it.

Here's the thing about "intellectualism"...the failure to differentiate between an emotional response and a logical response is why you fail at your attempt to seem superior.

I mean, how can you remove emotion from your argument when you litter it with calling people 'butt hurt', 'ball lickers', 'cunts', and people 'too stupid'?

Simply put kiddo...this is a luxury resource that we choose to buy into...everyone who does it can be labeled 'stupid' simply because it's not a necessity.

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
    9. Re: Emulation and the Law Oct 1, 2017, 03:54 DarkCntry

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 21:49:
    Rilcon wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 21:08:
    I'd jest with the old "you must be fun at parties" quip, but I kinda doubt you get invited to any.

I could care less about your insult, the reality is all these things exists because the masses are morons. Anyone with any intelligence knew mmo's were scams from the get go. This all happened because of the normalisation of being fucked by game companies because the masses are too stupid and tech illiterate to participate in the videogame market. That's reality.

That league of legends and dota 2 are even pieces of game software entirely controlled by game companies held hostage on their servers is overwhelming proof the masses are idiots.

Pre high speed internet the stupid fucks couldn't fuck up PC gaming, post high speed internet penetration companies can simply force games to be server locked because we are nowhere near close enough to the business for there to be any fear of offices being stormed. That's the reality.

The market is a myth could only work if there was genuine way to hold these companies accountable so they couldn't produce games in this hostile way to begin with.

All I can see here is "hey you kids, get off my lawn" rhetoric.

Albeit, it's also about as asinine as you can get, seeing as MMOs were not the first server-controlled variations of gaming out there, nor was DRM some new-fangled device thought up in the last couple decades.

I also do dislike it when people resort to calling others illiterate of a subject when they, themselves, seem to be pretty lacking on knowledge in the subject.

News Comments > Into the Black
    3. Re: Into the Black Sep 29, 2017, 05:23 DarkCntry

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 00:42:
    Confession time.

I have seen MAYBE 45 mins of Blade Runner. I understand there are roughly 5-6 versions of the movie. Which would be THE (or multiple) version(s) to watch before seeing 2049?

Either the theatrical version or the Final Cut...however, I'd say to simply watch the three main ones, theatrical, director's, and final...they each bring a different feel to the movie, and the differences between theatrical and director's can even make them feel like different movies overall.

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII PC Open Beta Begins
    9. Re: Call of Duty: WWII PC Open Beta Begins Sep 29, 2017, 05:04 DarkCntry

I will say that, like TB, I liked the War mode far more than anything else...and I generally dislike Call of Duty games in multiplayer. I also agree with TB that it reminds me of Enemy Territory.

The sad part though is that it's an objective-based mode and, as you'd expect, no one plays the objectives 9 times out of 10.

I still won't purchase the game simply because it's never worth the money.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
    8. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 13, 2017, 19:48 DarkCntry

The only issues I've had with War of the Chosen are related to things that aren't exactly what I consider to be the expansion's fault. I use the console for the base XCOM 2 to alleviate some engine chug.

The issue is that if I were to alt+tab out of WotC, the game stops responding and I have to manually close it, but that leaves the process of the command line open and running, and you generally don't want to start task managing command line windows.

I'd disable the console for the game, but having to do it every time I want to switch between the base game and the expansion becomes far more problematic than to just not alt+tab while playing it.

Now, before people ask why I still play the original, it's because I have a long-running game that doesn't transfer to the expansion due to a few mods, I'd like to actually finish it someday.

News Comments > Animal Farm Game Announced
    4. Re: Animal Farm Game Announced Sep 6, 2017, 19:47 DarkCntry

Kxmode wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 19:41:
    Maybe I'm naive but most farms are animal farms right? Seems a bit redundant. Could they have called it Russian Farm Sim 18?

Not sure if serious.........

News Comments > XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released
    49. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released Sep 6, 2017, 03:31 DarkCntry

grudgebearer wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 22:17:
    DarkCntry wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 18:20:
    I did run into a mission last night where I had to hack into a network on one of the new sewer maps...I had I think 8 turns to reach it and do the hack. I noticed on turn 2 that the game decided it wanted to start you the furthest corner from the objective...all while I was doing the normal 2 forward to overwatch, 2 sprint movement. I was being extra cautious because it was a sewer and full of tunnels and this was a rookie team..didn't make the objective because it literally took me 7 turns to actually reach the same area as the objective with the rookies sprinting instead of being more cautious due to the tunnels.

Surmise to say, I didn't make the hacking objective...and honestly, I don't think it was possible considering that even if I were to have sprinted with the entire squad, it would've taken at least 5 turns to reach the same area only to find out that it was crawling with a squad of 5 Advent and 2 Sectoids. I seriously doubt fresh recruits could've downed that in less than 3 turns, or even been able to handle attempting to hack it under fire.

Why are you sending out squads made up entirely of rookies?

Because it was the second mission of the game maybe?

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
    2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 5, 2017, 23:00 DarkCntry

PAX West has turned into nothing more than another example of spending money to stand in line. Almost every major booth had lines that would require either pre-registration via thousands of hoops or standing in line for hours, which basically resulted in almost everyone I know skipping them.

It wasn't much better for the indies either, with each year it seems like it becomes more and more lax at enforcing the rules to keep people moving. More often than not I was stuck in the middle of a walkway because people were standing around a booth with nowhere for anyone to walk around. Hell, the AMD booth was a massive headache as they did giveaways forcing people to fill up an entire avenue of walkways from people just standing around hoping to be picked.

Enforcers were either too aggressive in areas that weren't required (see: 6th floor area where the classic arcade machines were set up) by having at least 3 or 4 of them constantly telling people to keep moving (despite the fact that there was at least 9-10 feet of space to move around), or they were just so useless that no one even cared to listen to them.

The Friday that PAX stated it took me literally 15 minutes to move from one corner booth the the other corner of the Indie Megabooth because people just constantly stopped and didn't move. Hell, the Monday following they had a literal cattle queue set up at the main entrance that, to this very moment, I still don't understand because there were literally 5 other ways to enter the expo hall that had no lines. It was reported that people stood in that line for almost 45 minutes all because they were told that they were required to enter there.

An unforgettable experience, but not for any of the right reasons. A convention created to reward the gaming community has de-evolved into nothing more than Gamescom/E3-lite, where if you aren't a special guest or media, you probably won't get to experience anything.

784 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
    and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo