Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 838 (Graduate)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 9, 2019, 01:58 DarkCntry

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 13:24:
FYI: If you use social media the Internet, you have no privacy. None.

FTFY.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Anthem Video
3. Re: Anthem Video Jan 7, 2019, 18:08 DarkCntry

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 18:02:
"Fly across a beautiful landscape"

for ten seconds. Then you have to recharge and walk for ten seconds.

Everything I've seen is that the recharge need is bypassed by flying close to water...it just seems like them limiting the height map in a game mechanic way than just invisible walls/ceilings.

News Comments > Alien Game Tease?
28. Re: Alien Game Tease? Jan 6, 2019, 12:27 DarkCntry

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 6, 2019, 12:15:
DarkCntry wrote on Jan 6, 2019, 12:09:
PropheT wrote on Jan 6, 2019, 11:57:
DarkCntry wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 23:04:
Now, now...the sentry guns only worked because of Hollywood magic of never-ending supply of ammunition for thematic effect

That's exactly the opposite of what happens in that scene considering it mostly consists of watching limited ammo counters running down to empty while Hicks talks. Then the aliens get past their defenses immediately after the ammo runs out.

While I was being somewhat facetious in my statement about the endless ammo, in all honesty, there's no way that 500 rounds could be housed in those turrets internally as was shown in the movie.

Well, since they have ammo drums on the side, I'm pretty sure they could hold 500 rounds.

True...but again, back to Hollywood magic, 99 of those rounds fit into a Pulse Rifle, so you have to either expect that these rounds aren't all that big, or they just magically increase in caliber dependant on the weapon firing them

For reference, the 10x28mm caseless that the turrets fire are uniformly used in the Pulse Rifles, the M56s that Drake and Vasquez used, and, for further oddity, the M42A rifles.

The M42As, funny enough, only hold 15 rounds in a similar footprint as the M41As (IE, the Pulse Rifles), where-as the M56s have the supposed same 500 round drum as the turrets.

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 6, 2019, 12:16:
We await your "Everything Wrong with Aliens in 45 Minutes or Less" youtube rundown with bated breath.

I'm not trying to do anything here other than talk about the funny nature of realism in the Aliens franchise when it comes to their weapons...and this is coming from a fan that has pretty much read every tidbit of lore and story for the franchise.

25. Re: Alien Game Tease? Jan 6, 2019, 12:09 DarkCntry

PropheT wrote on Jan 6, 2019, 11:57:
DarkCntry wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 23:04:
Now, now...the sentry guns only worked because of Hollywood magic of never-ending supply of ammunition for thematic effect

That's exactly the opposite of what happens in that scene considering it mostly consists of watching limited ammo counters running down to empty while Hicks talks. Then the aliens get past their defenses immediately after the ammo runs out.

While I was being somewhat facetious in my statement about the endless ammo, in all honesty, there's no way that 500 rounds could be housed in those turrets internally as was shown in the movie.

10. Re: Alien Game Tease? Jan 5, 2019, 23:04 DarkCntry

Creston wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 22:56:
Armengar wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 18:57:
in Aliens the violence and guns approach didnt work very well though.

The Marines initially get overwhelmed by the Aliens because of the surprise of them coming out of the walls, and because their dipshit lieutenant forces them to take the ammo out of their guns.

In a straight up fight, they handled themselves fine against the Aliens. In fact, in the director's cut, they have a scene where they put up some sentry guns, and those guns wipe out like 50-60 Aliens in the space of a few minutes.

Now, now...the sentry guns only worked because of Hollywood magic of never-ending supply of ammunition for thematic effect That and, according to 'established' Alien lore, they were constantly throwing themselves at things for the attrition factor as long as there was a colony nearby to replenish.

Solo/small number Xenos would probably be far closer to Isolation and the original Alien movie, methodical and precise...something I think even the battle-hardened Marines would probably have issue with.

With that being said, I hope the newer game is a more mix of it, allowing more direct contact to be possible but not making the whole thing trivialized with the inclusion of pulse rifles.

News Comments > More on the Star Control Legal Battle
11. Re: More on the Star Control Legal Battle Jan 5, 2019, 01:31 DarkCntry

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 4, 2019, 23:02:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 4, 2019, 21:43:
Holy crap, if before I just thought they are misaligned assholes now I think they are malicious fucktards.

When hasn't this been the case? The games industry has been that way since the beginning, if you look at early lawsuits from atari and nintendo to shut down other game companies. Japan just passed a law outlawing game save editing, a giant wtf.

A deeper look into the law seems to be to combat piracy and circumventing region control, not to combat those that want to play with the equivalent of cheat-coded save files.

The few instances where I saw things like the Japanese equivalent to a Game Genie being discussed were talking about how they could effectively use it to play imported/pirated games.

News Comments > Essay Required to Unban Fallout 76 Cheaters?
31. Re: Essay Required to Unban Fallout 76 Cheaters? Dec 27, 2018, 18:15 DarkCntry

Maybe I am wrong, but why would someone be running cheatengine while running a game unless they were memory scanning in the first place?

I don't see the reason to be memory scanning while playing a game unless your intent is to alter those addresses.

News Comments > Fallout Classic Collection Free for Fallout 76 Players
15. Re: Fallout Classic Collection Free for Fallout 76 Players Dec 23, 2018, 19:59 DarkCntry

robdot wrote on Dec 23, 2018, 15:21:
This is the type of game that helps destroy all of gaming,it's predatory in it's very concept. The developers only see the players,as prey. I bought this based off my love for fallout 4. It's not a mistake. Every aspect is intentional. It's also partly my fault,for buying it. But it's the kind of thing that should put people out of business...it was a fraud from the start.

What fraud was there committed? I mean, FO76 is basically a 1:1 copy of what they advertised and promoted prior to release....

If you're talking about the collector's edition stuff...anyone who buys into Bethesda's collector's editions and expect high-end stuff is probably better off without money.

News Comments > On ATLAS Delays
10. Re: On ATLAS Delays Dec 22, 2018, 21:14 DarkCntry

[SC]TherMight wrote on Dec 22, 2018, 20:47:
People bring out the pitchforks a bit hastily.

It's an early access game for heaven's sake.

I think it's because this is the same exact shit that happened with ARK's development cycles...the devs never explained anything to the community over the stability of the game (server, game's health, etc)...

For them to even have a livestream countdown for thousands watching end and not one of them thought it might be a good idea to communicate why the servers weren't up? I mean, it took them over an hour to make a statement after that countdown hit zero, that's some serious bungling right there.

News Comments > Bonnie Ross Entering AIAS Hall of Fame
2. Re: Bonnie Ross Entering AIAS Hall of Fame Dec 19, 2018, 02:18 DarkCntry

Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2018, 20:03:
HoF for Halo? Seriously?

Like it or not, it did modernize (and, in turn, popularize) multiplayer FPS for the consoles.

AIAS is not PC Master Race only.

News Comments > Just Cause 4 Released
25. Re: Just Cause 4 Released Dec 5, 2018, 18:55 DarkCntry

I spent literally 3 hours doing nothing but sticking rockets and balloons to cars and people, all while laughing maniacally....I think I might need professional help.  

News Comments > Fallout 76 Legal Fallout?
52. Re: Fallout 76 Legal Fallout? Nov 28, 2018, 14:55 DarkCntry

Quinn wrote on Nov 28, 2018, 14:19:
Sorry, Agent.X7.. but you're an idiot. This game has no NPCs, no story to speak of, and literally zero improvement upon their previous titles (the opposite, in fact) except for the fact you can run around in it with your girlfriend. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo.

NPCs - Plenty of Handies, a few Super Mutants, and quite a few Protectrons...oh, you meant human NPCs, well I guess if it supports your argument we can ignore the hundred or so that do exist in the game.

Story - No more, no less of a story than the previous titles. What is lost upon people who state there is no story in this game is that you actually have to read it.

Zero improvement - This is probably the closest argument you have to being valid...except for when no one with half a brain cell expected some sort of improvement over 4 when Bethesda outright stated that this was a spinoff game.

Let's face it -- and this is going to be controversial! -- but this game is objectively garbage and a money grab from a studio that's sold their soul. Anyone who claims differently, please.. let me know in no unclear fashion so I can put you on the blacklist of people that I should NEVER listen to when it comes to any single word they have to say about any game.

OH NO SOMEONE LIKES SOMETHING I DON'T, WE MUST BLACKLIST THEM!!!

Do you not even in the slightest see just how idiotic and juvenile that sounds?

Here's something that's controversial...there's nothing wrong with the game, what is wrong is the gamer outrage over a perception that was never sold as such to begin with. The game was sold as a spinoff title to stopgap the Fallout franchise while they develop the next entry into the series...it was sold as a multiplayer survival game within the Fallout universe.

I'll mention it again for good measure, watch this vid and then check your head. The only way I can understand how you could praise this game, mate, is if it's the kind of "playing game with girlfriend" where you have a constant boner and a promise that you'll get lucky in a couple of sexy minutes.

This is, by far, the most ridiculous string of words I've read lately....and really goes to show the level of maturity in your grasp of human intelligence.

News Comments > FTC Will Look Into Loot Boxes
21. Re: FTC Will Look Into Loot Boxes Nov 28, 2018, 14:46 DarkCntry

ledhead1969 wrote on Nov 28, 2018, 14:39:
Aren't baseball card packs the same thing? Why aren't they under scrutiny?

The only argument as to why is that you are obtaining a physical object when purchasing, albeit not always something you may want or desire.

Of course, that argument is based upon the understanding that you could, in theory, resell the baseball cards to someone, albeit probably at a loss.

19. Re: FTC Will Look Into Loot Boxes Nov 28, 2018, 14:28 DarkCntry

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 28, 2018, 14:10:
DarkCntry, that’s not really the same argument. YES, in digital purchases of ANY sort, a kid’s parent is ultimately at fault for giving their child access to the funds, but this isn’t about the actual money spent. The concern is the behavior it encourages, because the high a gambler feels from winning erases all the anguish of prior losses. Letting kids think this is a normal behavior will lead to their ruin later in life.

Unlike direct digital purchases, where you know what you’re getting, loot boxes have varying “quality” of items in them. In reality, none of them are worth anything, but that’s not the point. It’s the perception of “winning” that sticks in the mind, which can lead to that kid growing up and having a higher chance of gambling their house away. THAT is the concern being raised.

You're treading dangerously close to what is the normal gameplay loop of every video game in existence.

The high of defeating a difficult boss, or the high of obtaining the next level, or the high...well you get the idea. Now, you could argue the monetary aspects of the lootboxes when combined to the endorphin hit, but then we circle back to responsibility of who is supposed to be 'protecting the children'.

15. Re: FTC Will Look Into Loot Boxes Nov 28, 2018, 13:21 DarkCntry

theglaze wrote on Nov 28, 2018, 13:05:
Jivaro wrote on Nov 28, 2018, 12:35:
if you always get something from a loot box can it really be considered gambling?

I mean...the value of what you get is variable, but you never get "nothing". In that way games companies can argue that there isn't any gambling going on.

Or am I misunderstanding/missing something?

(PS: I am as irritated by loot boxes as anybody, but I had resigned myself to the belief that the video games industry had found a way around the "rules" by simply creating tiers of rewards and eliminating the possibility of getting nothing.)

It's the simulation of gambling that's the issue.

Children, who often lack an understanding of the value of money let a lone gambling, are exposed to the same emotional experience that adults feel when gambling.

IMO, loot boxes for digital content that cannot be traded to others or transfer into actual money is WORSE than real gambling.
Devil's advocate here...

And where are these supposed children obtaining the funds to purchase these things if they don't have the understanding of value of money? Oh, the parents...who should have an understanding of the value of money and not allow their kids to do this without prior research.

News Comments > Fallout 76 Update Plans
20. Re: Fallout 76 Update Plans Nov 28, 2018, 13:18 DarkCntry

Gamer outrage, it's so beautiful...  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Nov 20, 2018, 04:05 DarkCntry

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 20, 2018, 02:54:
DarkCntry wrote on Nov 19, 2018, 19:34:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 19, 2018, 18:33:
someone explain what this game is like..

is it dayZ/rust/etc but Fallout?

Well, technically it's just a multiplayer version of Fallout 4 in Survival mode.

People's biggest dislike for the game revolve around the perceived lack of NPCs (they do exist, albeit non-human), and the lack of a story. There is a story, despite it being found in holotapes, terminals, and notes.

Be honest dude. Every single quest is basically a variant of a fedex quest, they are extremely predictable and offer you exactly one choice in how to complete it. Either do the quest or don't do the quest.

I am being honest in everything I said.

As for every quest being a variation of a FedEx quest, that's incorrect. There are several quests that require you to protect specific areas, repair various objects within an area, and various other things that are, for all intents and purposes, similar to what you found in the previous 3 incarnations of Fallout.

Hell, there's even an 'investigation' questline in the game, albeit it's pretty inconsequential in its design.

Perhaps the reason I enjoy the game enough is that I didn't expect it to be anything more than a multiplayer version of Fallout 4 in survival difficulty.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Nov 19, 2018, 19:34 DarkCntry

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 19, 2018, 18:33:
someone explain what this game is like..

is it dayZ/rust/etc but Fallout?

Well, technically it's just a multiplayer version of Fallout 4 in Survival mode.

People's biggest dislike for the game revolve around the perceived lack of NPCs (they do exist, albeit non-human), and the lack of a story. There is a story, despite it being found in holotapes, terminals, and notes.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 15, 2018, 19:35 DarkCntry

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2018, 13:47:
Did you like the pew pew pew in the game? Then come do the pew pew pew in real life!

I guess that's more of a cop thing than an army thing though.

In any case, this isn't the first time the army turned to a game to shore up its recruiting. I wonder how it went the last time.

If my memory serves when I worked with the America's Army project, not bad, considering it actually saved them money in the long run.

Recruitment numbers directly related to the project I don't think were ever released, but I'd wager that it didn't surpass any of the other forms of recruitment drives that happen. Besides, overall the game wasn't about recruitment as much as it was a tool to advertise the Army itself.

News Comments > Fallout 76 Roadmap
25. Re: Fallout 76 Roadmap Nov 8, 2018, 14:01 DarkCntry

El Pit wrote on Nov 8, 2018, 13:53:
Come on, you know how it goes once the game is sold. Idiots will start mobs running around killing you and/or sabotaging your missions. NO WAY I will touch this game with forced pvp. Not even if it should ever go free to play. If you got no problem with griefers and other human ticks, good for you. I won't bother with them or games that allow those knuckledraggers to anger me. Plenty of other games to play...

As I said originally, killing a player that isn't retaliating the pretty prohibitive. Between the very reduced damage and the ease in which you can escape people attacking you, there's no reason to really be attacking anyone right now.

There are only two things in game right now that predicate PVP are taking over world workshops that produce free resources on a time and the Nukes. The only one of the two that are useful is the nukes because it creates the irradiated zones for rare materials...but that's open to anyone who wants to brave those areas after they are created.

There's really little in the way of open-world opportunities for griefing during things like quests, everything required for them are instanced for each person.

838 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo