Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rilcon

Real Name Rilcon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rilcon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 2, 2005, 23:20
Total Comments 229 (Novice)
User ID 24143

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Geo IP
5. Re: GOG.com Drops Geo IP May 10, 2011, 04:19 Rilcon

Blessed be those people at GoG, as someone that travels a lot IP geolocation screws me over pretty bad pretty often.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2011, 09:20 Rilcon

People pay for advertising. If a game is advertised everywhere as the next big thing, with flashy graphics, CGI cutscenes and over the top voiceovers / quotes, people will magically think it's worth more. Have it advertised only on a few blogs and little known gaming sites, doesn't matter how good it is, people won't see the value.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
7. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 9, 2011, 07:36 Rilcon

It would be so stupid Sony would probably try to do it.  

News Comments > Impulse Top 10
3. Re: Impulse Top 10 May 2, 2011, 20:54 Rilcon

Damn. I was still holding out for this being a really elaborate April Fools.  

News Comments > Portal 2 Free DLC Announced
24. Re: Portal 2 Free DLC Announced Apr 29, 2011, 18:32 Rilcon

finga wrote on Apr 29, 2011, 17:55:
Rilcon wrote on Apr 29, 2011, 17:11:
There's an MS rule where you can't offer something for free on one console and charge for it on the 360.
You sure? As Valve explained it with a piece of Left 4 Dead DLC, they wanted to release it for free on all platforms, but Microsoft wouldn't let them, so the PC (and PS3?) versions were free, while the 360 version of that DLC cost money. I believe it was $7. Admittedly, it's been a couple of years since then, so maybe things have changed.

AFAIK PC is never counted in for these platform exclusive things. L4D1/2 also has no PS3 version. Might be an old rule though, I haven't touched console DLC for some time.

News Comments > Portal 2 Free DLC Announced
18. Re: Portal 2 Free DLC Announced Apr 29, 2011, 17:11 Rilcon

There's an MS rule where you can't offer something for free on one console and charge for it on the 360. So yeah, it going through Steam on the PS3 (and thus "free" for Valve as they don't have to pay Sony for the bandwidth) means Valve is not allowed to charge for it on the 360.  

News Comments > Magicka Free Map Poll
5. Re: Magicka Free Map Poll Apr 20, 2011, 20:54 Rilcon

Full price was less than a steak dinner at a mediocre restaurant. I can deal with being "nickle and dimed" for new content that actually costs money to develop in the first place.  

News Comments > Playable Overgrowth
10. Re: Playable Overgrowth Apr 20, 2011, 02:53 Rilcon

Lugaru is still a game I play every once in a while; works well on my ages old laptop and is a great time waster. Quite looking forward to Overgrowth.  

News Comments > Portal 2 Watch
68. Re: Portal 2 Watch Apr 17, 2011, 11:18 Rilcon

Beamer wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 01:03:
This is why this board isn't fun anymore.

Few here, or rather likely the quiet majority, take any enjoyment out of gaming.
For the loudest of you the entertainment no longer comes from actually playing games but from bitching, moaning, whining and feeling like victims. It's not even fun discussing that topic anymore because it's beaten to death and some of you go further and further into some kind of loathing. It's hard to believe you still dedicate this much time to something you hate. Yeah, I know, "we want it to be what it once was!" but all your bitching and moaning isn't helping. Go away for a while. Get some bright air. Rather than complain that Valve is doing all this, or as someone in another thread claimed "wasting money on marketing" stop paying attention. Start being that guy that's happily surprised to walk into the video game section of Target and see a new game by your favorite developer that you hadn't been aware was on its way out.

What kills me most is how some of you fail to realize that you've changed as much as the industry has. On top of becoming bitter, jaded dicks you've just become more mature consumers, frankly, adults. There's an interestingish article in the newest KillScreen in which an author relates how he received the NES version of Dragon Warrior for free with a 2 year subscription to Nintendo Power (man, I remember getting my parents to sign me up for that deal, too.) He talks about how he was unable to play for 6 weeks after receiving the game, but he had the poster of all the enemies that NP included. He read the poster constantly. He memorized it. He worshipped it. It was religion to him and he knew every single tiny thing he could about the game without playing it. That game was his entire world and it completely captivated him. He was absorbed. Nothing could possibly matter more. I remember being the same way. For a long while nothing in my life mattered as much as video games. Games I played and games I didn't, honestly - I can think of a few games I was obsessed over based upon articles in Nintendo Power only to discover they totally blew, or games I obsessed over that I owned only to go back recently and discover that the game sucked and most of the joy was my own imagination running wild with the general theme of the game.
But the author will never, ever be into a game as much as he was into Dragon Warrior. I'll never be as into a game as I was Blaster Master or Doom or Duke Nukem or X-COM or Syndicate. We're not kids anymore. It's impossible for a game to captivate us like that. Games are far deeper with much more atmosphere than some of the ones I listed above but they won't hold on to me because there's so much in life that takes priority.

What kills me is how regularly I see comments here in which people blame the games for that. Some of you get irate that games don't make you feel the same way. You don't seem to realize that you changed more than games. Go up to a kid today and he feels the same way you once did.

Some of you a miserable, humorless, impossible to please and completely pointless. Verno, you always seem to think I'm talking to you and I'm not - you're fairly miserable at times and often humorless but irregularly for both of those and always thoughtful and worth reading. I'm surprised to see nin so bitter here as he usually is humorous in his hate and seems to enjoy gaming by and large. But there are some usual people here that never, ever say anything positive or interesting. Just a lot of one line comments like "suck my balls Valve" or "way to screw us over by trying not to go into the red" or "man, I haven't played an original video game since Space Wars, everything since is just you hitting a button and stuff happening just like that game!" Wait, not that last one - it contains too much content. People at least used to try - it used to be common to see the "popular threads" list have multiple triple-digit threads in which people debated the merits of various things. No longer even debate - just condemnation, industry ignorance and one line curses.

If it weren't for the character limit, I'd set this as my sig.

News Comments > Portal 2 Watch
18. Re: Portal 2 Watch Apr 16, 2011, 22:25 Rilcon

The bitter, the entitlement... I can practically taste it all the way over here.

qq some more, please.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Soundtrack
8. Re: Bulletstorm Soundtrack Apr 14, 2011, 07:43 Rilcon

Bulletstorm was fun. Music was good. This is good.  

News Comments > Garry's Mod vs Pirates
6. Re: Garry's Mod vs Pirates Apr 13, 2011, 15:10 Rilcon

While I like the idea behind this, I wouldn't do it in any game with DRM due to how I myself am likely to use cracks on games with obnoxious DRM.  

News Comments > Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed
13. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 12:08 Rilcon

Verno wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 10:36:
"Normally, we are pretty responsive to activity on the forums, but you may also be aware that our forums are staffed voluntarily"

Oh good, then all is forgiven because you can't be bothered to have a paid employee read your support forums!

Bioware/EA is how big? And they use volunteer mods? That's some really pro community management right there. Cripes.

News Comments > Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed
2. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Fixed Apr 13, 2011, 09:50 Rilcon

And the people that pirated it didn't notice a thing.
:-/

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 Speculation
3. Re: Dead Rising 3 Speculation Apr 11, 2011, 16:05 Rilcon

My bet's on inner-city area. Looking forward to it either way, both DRs were fun times.  

News Comments > Portal/Portal 2 Comic Part 1
6. Re: Portal/Portal 2 Comic Part 1 Apr 9, 2011, 22:56 Rilcon

Lorcin wrote on Apr 9, 2011, 21:11:
I want my 3 minutes back

What happened, someone burst into your room and steal them from you? Poor soul, so powerless and unable to resist those mean mean people .

News Comments > Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated]
77. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 16:44 Rilcon

Verno wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 16:18:
and the areas were cut off / reshaped enough that the gameplay in them felt different

That doesn't make any sense to me. In many of the retreads the only differences are things like a stone door that is totally out of place in the environment itself anyway. There are something like 8 total quest environmental templates that are repeated ad nauseum. How does the gameplay feel different when you are still playing in the exact same area?

I thought you didn't buy it? Anyway, the entry and exit points also moved around, as well as the actual encounters, of course. And yes, that's enough for me, I guess I just have low standards.

75. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 16:15 Rilcon

Jerykk wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 15:22:

Eh? Doesn't Varric or that Chantry chick refer to you as "The Champion of Kirkwall" in the intro cinematic? That made it pretty obvious to me. In any case, the game doesn't really have much of a story. It's basically a collection of random sidequests. The big time jumps are also a big failure. In an RPG, you are supposed to identify with your character. He/she shouldn't know or do anything outside of your control. However, in the time jumps, this is exactly what happens. After each jump, your character suddenly knows characters and events that you don't. It completely detaches you from your character and the story. Then there was the total lack of choice and consequence. Nothing you did really mattered and there weren't any interesting moral choices. Everything was pretty clear-cut, especially with the Nice/Sarcastic/Angry dialogue system.

Well of course you know, you're the player, you have the allmighty quicksave/load ability. I meant more that the character doesn't know, that his goals aren't aimed at saving the entire universe/country. The jumping forward bothered me a bit, not because I wasn't playing through it but because it seems only a few things changed over the course of several years; saying "2 months pass" after every chapter would have felt a lot better. As for choices, I can't honestly say it was any better or worse than past cRPGs; I adore previous BW games like BG2 and KotOR, and it felt pretty much the same (2-3 different endings and the result of sidequests being mostly esthetic or the difference between X money or Y XP).

The presentation was solid, except for the fact that the game presents the same exact areas and enemies over and over and over again. You can only go into the same basement or cave so many times before it starts getting old. And Kirkwall is a pretty bland and boring place. Unfortunately, you spend about 90% of the game there. It's amazing that the DAO expansion pack had more variety than the full sequel.

I really didn't mind repeat areas or enemies, and had no issues with Kirkwall itself, but am really not picky about grapics and the areas were cut off / reshaped enough that the gameplay in them felt different.

Partially agreed there. While the core combat mechanics are enjoyable on Nightmare difficulty, the combat encounters themselves are just incredibly half-assed. Enemies just stand around in a big group until you trigger them, then after you kill most of them 10 more enemies spawn out of thin air right next to you. It's just incredibly lazy and makes combat feel like a grind because every fight is the same.

Yes. The people that set up the encounters did a pretty poor job and I can't understand why this area is such a step back from DA:O.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2011, 16:23.

69. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 13:19 Rilcon

Jerykk wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 12:19:
DA2 wasn't a real cRPG or comparable to BG2, but it's a damn good game. I could write a book on all the things I detest about it, but it's still a good game.

Care to elaborate on why it's a good game if there are many things you detest about it? I don't know about you but when I enjoy a game, I usually don't detest anything about it.

As for the definition of free, it's not that difficult to grasp. If you get something for nothing, it's free. For example, if EA were simply handing out copies of ME2 to anyone who wanted them, that would qualify as free. However, if you only get something if you pay for something else, it's not free. You still have to buy DA2 before they'll give you ME2.

I thought I used quote marks around free to make it clear that I know it's not really free, but likely missed some somewhere or whatever.

As to why I think DA2 is good:
- I liked the story, quite a bit. One of my gripes about (most!) cRPGs is that the player is the chosen one and immediately destined for greatness, with the plotline pretty much pointing out what's meant to happen from the very beginning. I liked that this was not the case, or rather that it was not so obvious.
- Presentation was good, which covers a good many things. Characters were interesting and entertaining (to me, anyway), sound and music was good, I liked the art syle and had few issues with the UI/controls (camera control was gimped, makes it hard to use AoE abilities at a range, but didn't really have any other major issues).
- It was fun. I like challenging games, and nightmare difficulty was rather challenging (at least for me). Cheap at times (waves of enemies spawning in silly places, AI rogues and mages raping everything), but once I understood the system I genuinely enjoyed the combat encounters.

66. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 12:02 Rilcon

Verno wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 11:49:
Rilcon wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 11:18:
*shrug* Don't like it, don't buy it. It's a product from a company that wants your money, they don't owe us anything.

Of course I won't buy it. What a silly comment. It kind of goes without saying that people are going to vote with their wallet, that doesn't mean they can't speak up about it.

And "questioning" is a very tame term for the kind of language people like to use here.

Uhm, you were the one who posted this nonsense:

"Jesus christ, this site is full of bitter little shits. DA2 wasn't a real cRPG or comparable to BG2, but it's a damn good game. I could write a book on all the things I detest about it, but it's still a good game.

If I were one of these "AAA" devs, I'd make console and facebook only games just to spite you entitled whiney brats."

I wasn't directing you specifically on what to do in this case, it's a simple rule of thumb. I thought the point was pretty clear, but oh well.

And the way I talk is meant to be on the same tone as what I respond to. People use nasty words, I use nasty words. People reason things out, I use my meager brain power to attempt the same.

229 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo