Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rilcon

Real Name Rilcon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rilcon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 2, 2005, 23:20
Total Comments 285 (Amateur)
User ID 24143

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 16, 2017, 10:46 Rilcon

6th episode leak was HBO's spanish chanel pressing the button too early.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth Released
7. Re: Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth Released Aug 16, 2017, 07:49 Rilcon

I have no interest in the game, but how the heck is it poorly drawn?  

News Comments > For Honor Season 3 Today
2. Re: For Honor Season 3 Today Aug 15, 2017, 13:28 Rilcon

The game takes seasons as way to tally world scores and reset some things, iirc, not really for DLC/expansions like episodic games. So seasons being 3 months and this being the start of the third makes sense.

Hopefully one day there's something more properly SP or coop-like here for folk like me.

News Comments > etc.
24. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2017, 22:11 Rilcon

"I'm not sure why you say the market isn't growing. We've seen this industry increase from millions to billions over the past few decades. Also EA, Activision, Tencent, and many others are profitable or very profitable companies."

Market growth in the last decade and bit has been mainly in "casual" games, competitive online, and F2P, last I checked, and you'll notice the companies you named are heavily into floods of small DLC, microtransactions (including MP P2W), and F2P.

"You do realize that when we buy the game, we give them money, don't you?"

Yes... the problem is it's not enough money. The more features you want in a game, the more people and/or time it takes to make the game. If you're still charging the same ~$50 for a game that cost $80mil to make now as you did for a game that cost $10mil ten you years ago, you either sell eight times more units or you figure out another way to make a profit. And I'm fairly sure the budget for this is well over $80mil.

If they can make it work, cool. If not and it's obnoxious or gating chunks of gameplay (or just making things overly difficult) only to those with way too much free time or money, then not cool. For now I prefer to not be fatalistic.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2017, 15:15 Rilcon

Further disclosure, I work in the industry (though on much less interesting things). The industry is, as everyone knows, very shitty.

Chances are pretty high parts of the new RPG and inventory/item system wouldn't even exist if they couldn't introduce microtransactions like this. More features are always all well and good but the money to make them has to come from somewhere.

I don't know if people realize this, but the cost of making (and marketing) a "AAA" game has risen to absurd levels, while the price of buying a game hasn't moved from the $40-60 area for over a decade, nor has the market increased much. Add to that that people don't want to just break even (ie. pay back the bank/investors), they want to make enough to fund new projects and the downtimes between them; these games have teams of 50 to 400 people working on them, not counting outsourcers, and the time you spend without a signed project in the works or investors happy there're clear profits coming up is money you're burning away, and likely letting talent (that you spent a lot in training) go (which leads to delays due to hiring whenever you actually have something again).

"AAA" games in general are either going to see a price increase, more stuff like this, or even more dependence on DLC/episodic. Even indie games are seeing their prices increase, and plenty of studios still dissolve after one or two games.

For myself I'm hoping it's handled well and is only enticing to people that want to rush through the game as fast/easily as possible. Gating like this is still better than what games used to do with preorder bonuses, which are outright locked out for 90% of players no matter what. It took 12? years for Baldur's Gate 2's pay-for items to be available to everyone, nevermind that those were certainly unbalancing in the early game.

I should have gone into banking systems...

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2017, 12:12 Rilcon

Eh... not too worried about the lootbox thing. Shadow of Mordor (and near every other open world game) has a lot of grinding and fuck-about gameplay available; I can imagine some people don't care for it as much and just want to go from one "epic set piece" to the next and watch cutscenes along the way as fast as possible to actually finish the game, while others will spend ten hours between every story-related thing doing all the collectibles possible and just generally enjoying the base gameplay.

Full disclosure: I have over 150 hours on Shadow of Mordor because I'm addicted to murderizing orcs and seeing what new captains pop up. With my obsessiveness I doubt I'll notice the (soft) gating, and getting a little reward every now and then for my dedication to virtual genocide or token hoarding is nice. If someone wants to pay a buck fifty or whatever to get the same virtual trinket for whatever reason and skip several hours of "menial gameplay", myeh; I guess it's kinda like paying for official game guides with cheatcodes and shortcuts in the olden days.

I'm guessing they'll be adding some memory encryption like Arxan or online checks to avoid people just memory editing in the money, which sucks for people that are really bad at games or just want to mess around.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 23, 2017, 14:05 Rilcon

Serious question: Why keep putting up article's related to Pachter?  

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 4M
2. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 4M Jun 23, 2017, 20:17 Rilcon

Neat, good for them.  

News Comments > Ex-PAYDAY Devs: GTFO
6. Re: Ex-PAYDAY Devs: GTFO Jun 1, 2017, 13:19 Rilcon

It's extremely unlikely a game designer, even the lead game designer, would have anything to do with monetization. There are different departments/people for that, very specialized in what they do, and GD can do little more than make it as painless as possible while complaining all the way through.  

News Comments > Flying Tigers: Shadows Over China Takes Off
2. Re: Flying Tigers: Shadows Over China Takes Off May 29, 2017, 14:26 Rilcon

As far as I recall, Janes stopped pumping out new sims, then IL2 Sturmovik and later DCS stuff came out and everyone went "OK, I guess that's good enough" for the next fifteen years.  

News Comments > Starfighter Origins Tomorrow
23. Re: Starfighter Origins Tomorrow Apr 24, 2017, 19:22 Rilcon

It's UE4; you can tell by its trademark shimmering and refraction and by how its says UE4 at the end =p  

News Comments > Overwatch Skins Leak?
9. Re: Overwatch Skins Leak? Apr 10, 2017, 06:17 Rilcon

plz go back to /pol/  

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Adds Free Content
2. Re: Killing Floor 2 Adds Free Content Mar 22, 2017, 08:31 Rilcon

Would've really liked the LMG to have a higher RoF, make it feel like RO's MG 42; stream of lead (with the goodbye-ammo downside). As it is I don't think it really adds that much, with the P90 seems superior for the same usecases.  

News Comments > Starbreeze Investing in System Shock 3
9. Re: Starbreeze Investing in System Shock 3 Mar 15, 2017, 01:08 Rilcon

Cool.  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Betas Set Records
2. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Betas Set Records Mar 1, 2017, 22:50 Rilcon

Coop is fun. I mean, most games with coop are fun because you're playing with friends, anyway, but if shoot shoots are your thing and you like coop, it's good.

It's the most arcadey "Tom Clancy" game ever made, though. It's more "Far Cry: Military Guys" than anything else.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2017, 15:32 Rilcon

Cutter wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 13:07:
ForgedReality wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 10:23:
Yay! nVidia wins again! XD

No, what this article clearly illustrates that only the criminally insane are fans of Nvidia.

Seriously though, 9.5 years? That's fucking it? This is why the world not only needs a global death penalty, but we also need summary executions in open and shut cases like these. Just take them out of the courtroom around back of the courthouse to a firing squad and be done with it.

You get more prison time for running a torrent site for TV shows than for murder.

Like, that sounds like some sort of "meme" or whatever, but it's actually the truth.

News Comments > For Honor Cheaters Banned
9. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 15:27 Rilcon

thecakeisalie wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 14:54:
"These bans are applied on an account level, not at the hardware level"

So Ubisoft is allowing the cheaters to just make another account so they can buy the game again and keep playing. They pay lip service to the community by "banning" cheaters yet allow the cheaters to pony up the cash for the game again and play if they want to. Never one to pass up a quick buck, eh Ubisoft? LOL.

As someone that deals with handing out bannings on some services, hardware or other "fingerprint" style bans are extremely easy to circumvent and almost always impact innocent users. They're only useful as an immediate, temporary, stopgap.

But yes, of course ~LOL UBIBUX SUX~ XD etc.

News Comments > Steam VR for Linux Debuts
4. Re: Steam VR for Linux Debuts Feb 22, 2017, 19:57 Rilcon

Well, I know two, so, uh...?  

News Comments > Next Overwatch Hero Greek?
8. Re: Next Overwatch Hero Greek? Feb 20, 2017, 17:04 Rilcon

I didn't realize the BN community had this many assholes in it. I mean, going by these comments, y'all voted for Trump and wear MAGA caps indoors.  

News Comments > WBIE Announcement Tease
2. Re: WBIE Announcement Tease Feb 2, 2017, 12:23 Rilcon

(I'd rather a new Shadow or Mordor being announced)  

285 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo