Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rilcon

Real Name Rilcon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rilcon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 2, 2005, 23:20
Total Comments 228 (Novice)
User ID 24143

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > TOXIKK & Free Trial Next Month
2. Re: TOXIKK & Free Trial Next Month Aug 20, 2016, 09:07 Rilcon

So, it's basically Unreal Tournament but made today?

I say that as a good thing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 22, 2016, 05:23 Rilcon

"patenting math is bullshit"

What's the difference between complex mathematical equations and computer code? What makes the years of study and research to figure out a consistent way of generating certain geographic shapes worth less than the lines of code to make a few pixels move up and down a screen?

This isn't patenting "2+2=4", it's patenting the equivalent of a an instruction manual to build a car.

News Comments > Dead Rising to Rise on PCs
10. Re: Dead Rising to Rise on PCs Jul 19, 2016, 18:50 Rilcon

Well I liked 1 (360) and 2 (PC) =/

Will consider if it's fixed up (and I imagine it will be). Especially if it gets coop.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 15, 2016, 11:29 Rilcon

Because One games are already required to run at a minimum fixed framerate, even if they don't achieve it or have to cheat for it. Saying the Scorpio will give better results at current res for current or future games is admitting the One isn't cutting it.

It's bullshit; whether it's marketing bullshit or software/hardware enforced bullshit is another matter. Either way I fully expect them to start adding additional effects and shaders and whatnot at some point specific to the S and ignore they ever made this statement here.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: USC cancels video games panel due to lack of women Apr 29, 2016, 20:51 Rilcon

Wow shitlord, why don't you consider the gender violence imposed on women developers forced to suffer panels lead by archetypical patriarchs? These are the sort of injustices that leave lasting scars and deny freedoms to future generations.

</s>

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 20, 2016, 14:25 Rilcon

"Leaves" is fancy terminology for "hey guys, my office code isn't working anymore?".

I don't think I've seen anyone in the industry be more of a huge cunt and so quickly brutalize their own persona as this guy. And it's the same industry Phil Fish is in, cripes.

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2016, 10:43 Rilcon

Speaking of heads up backsides...  

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2016, 00:25 Rilcon

I can't express how much I loathe this guy.  

News Comments > RDR2 Map Leaked?
19. Re: RDR2 Map Leaked? Apr 16, 2016, 20:11 Rilcon

Loved Redemption, probably the only reason I haven't given away my 360 as I still play it a bit every few months.

Would really like to see it on PC, but if not and it's done "right" like I believe the last one was, it'd probably push me into buying a new console.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Released
20. Re: Dark Souls III Released Apr 12, 2016, 20:46 Rilcon

Graham wrote on Apr 12, 2016, 18:57:
Rilcon wrote on Apr 12, 2016, 13:24:
Expect crashes. Many people, myself included, crash whenever they get near a bonfire.

Is your crash accompanied by some text that reads "YOU DIED"?

Har-dee har-har...

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 12, 2016, 19:43:
Set light detail to low (according to steam forums)
Appears to be enough to set it to "medium", so far, though still getting some several-second freezes in specific areas (that have no enemies or anything remotely fancy in them). Otherwise performance, on nvidia hardware at least, is really good. Game itself has a much easier start than the previous so far, but can't judge on the whole yet. Combat feels good, mind.

But anyway yeah, probably want to wait a week or two if you want a smooth experience.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Released
6. Re: Dark Souls III Released Apr 12, 2016, 13:24 Rilcon

Expect crashes. Many people, myself included, crash whenever they get near a bonfire.  

News Comments > GZ3Doom Oculus Rift Support
1. Re: GZ3Doom Oculus Rift Support Apr 11, 2016, 13:44 Rilcon

I've never experienced motion sickness and I think I'm getting motion sickness just thinking about this.  

News Comments > Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints
84. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 8, 2016, 22:28 Rilcon

something something redpill, something something /pol/, something something reddit...

Gods, this is why I hate this sort of garbage. Everyone that thought Beamdog fucked up over this is now shoved into the same group as this guy is. It's kinda fucking depressing.

57. Re: Beamdog on Siege of Dragonspear Complaints Apr 7, 2016, 23:38 Rilcon

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 23:07:
Rilcon wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 20:49:
Also jfc stop shoving the term "SJW" everywhere, it's idiotic. There's no grand "SJW conspiracy" and the term barely means anything these days compared to what it used to.

You should spend more time watching what goes on at your local high school or university then. I think my favorite sjw garbage right now is shoving "how privileged are you assignments" on students, who are in grade 6. Of course all that privlidge stuff makes it very clear that if you're "white" or "male" or "hetrosexual" that's a bad thing. Gotta start that indoctrination young.

And to the person asking about "when did GG start" that would have been in the last week of August in 2014. DA:I November 2014, and no one like now gave a shit. And in this case, GG didn't give a shit either. But those hardcore BG fans, lore fans, and minsc fans? Holy shit balls, did they give a shit. You're welcome, it was that non-involved group of people who got involved, and many of them also joined GG. Mainly because dick weasels decided to label anyone who disagreed with the "holy transgender" and "shitty line" were automatically GG. You retards that were pushing that continue to be their best recruitment method.

edit: And if you think this was a backlash? Well this has been floating around for a couple of days now. This is the same author who wrote the trans lifestory. If you think that people are livid now, wait until they see them wanting to touch and "enhance" Planescape. Up next: Morte will go on a 12 page expose about how he's really a Apache attack helicopter, but was shot down over the swamps of Florida, and that's the only reason he's a floating skull now.

"SJW" used to imply actual malice, ie. using social justice as an excuse to be an asshole, saying you care about X, but really only to get a pat on the back. These days the term is tossed around so much it vaguely applies to anyone left of /pol/. And by conspiracy I mean Grand Wizard Sarkeesian herself calling people up for secret meetings to discuss how to topple The Patriarchy; it's just an overall increase in the number of dumb and loud people along with an increase in manipulative assholes, "true believers" or not. And it kinda goes both ways, really; even a place so often associated with "SJWs" as Tumblr is slowly filling up with "alt right", neonazis, "traditionalists", and other assorted really pleasant people.

As for DA:I, I can't personally remember there being any major hub-bub about it in general, or Krem in particular. I do remember some random forum posts somewhere complaining that the writing for them was bad, but given I didn't care much for Iron Bull I probably didn't get all the convo options or just glossed over them. AFAICR their gender wasn't brought up at all when talking to them.

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Content Pack
1. Re: Killing Floor 2 Content Pack Apr 7, 2016, 21:13 Rilcon

I got very confused at the wording, thought this was DLC for an early access game but is just the latest patch.

On the topic of "early access"... I've noticed a lot of games stay in that state for two years or more. It's a bit dodgy, really...

53. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2016, 20:49 Rilcon

Also jfc stop shoving the term "SJW" everywhere, it's idiotic. There's no grand "SJW conspiracy" and the term barely means anything these days compared to what it used to.  

52. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2016, 20:46 Rilcon

Task wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 18:33:
Things

Pretty much this. It feels like a quick and cheap set-up to show "this game has a transgender character is thus diverse and progressive!", and that's it.

There are dozens of shopkeeps and temple minders the PC has met by this point, nevermind all the other random NPCs, and this is the first time that I can recall the PC thinks a name (or anything else of them) is interesting unless it's a lead to a quest or similar. And then there's how the convo carries on from there; like the first time the PC (and by extension the player) has ever heard about "trans" and it's being explained to a 3yo child in a daycare. The character can't chose snark or evil options here, your 50yo retrograde hick barbarian, your cleric of Bad Guys Co., your psychotic mage that just got done fireballing some children... they all respond with "oh, that's nice!".

Every playthrough of BG I carried the gender switch belt in my inventory because I thought it was neat and would someday be more than just a gag curse item, and it's not even brought up. The PC could offer to hand it over, mention it exists, trigger a quest, or just get some more interesting convo about how she could want the item or is fine as is... but nothing. I'm pretty sure it's one of the most recognizable and remembered BG items, more so than the pantaloons, the mirror shield, Kaangax' ring, or what have you, and suddenly it doesn't exist. You could be wearing the cursed thing right then and there, roleplaying a character that thinks the girdle is a gift from the gods, and it doesn't even matter.

Just, damn. If you want to make a character that's trans, do it properly. Do it so that the only way people could complain about it is exclusively because the character is trans. The way this has been done, you get the people that don't like the shoddy writing, the people that don't want the tokenization, and the people that are just bigots all lumped into one big bucket. I can't complain about this whole situation without others rolling their eyes and going "oh boy, another transphobe manlet".

The Minsc thing ... Ignoring it possibly being out of place or character or feelings towards the character, the whole "it's about ethics in blah" meme is just asking for trouble; there's no way they didn't know that poking fun, merited or not, towards what's ostensibly their core demographic (PC gamers replaying a 18yo 2nd edition D&D cRPG power fantasy that gives the player a literal god complex... that falls well inside of one of the three groups of people that come to mind when I think "gamergate") wouldn't get noticed. That's a spike they planted on the ground and decided to fall on for unknowable reasons, other than just signalling "we're progressive and hate toxic masculinity, misogyny, homophobia, etc.". Just let Minsc be Minsc, he's already the paragon of all that's good and just. Beamdog isn't some guys on a blog, they're trying to sell a highly non-essential product to people on the internet; antagonizing one of the louder (and in this likely larger and with the most disposable income) segments of your audience for the sake of a socio-political dig and a twitter high-five from @femfreq isn't good business.

words

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Siege of Dragonspear Controversy
50. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Siege of Dragonspear Controversy Apr 5, 2016, 18:56 Rilcon

It's the same discourse every time, small or big.

Someone does a load of dodgy or petty shit
Jams in some tokenized "progressive" thing
Gets called out for the dodgy or petty shit
Claims people are dogpilling them for the "progressive" thing only
Discourse carries on internet-wide, post after post
People keep believing it's just about the "progressive" thing

No one (sane) gives a shit that there are trans characters or "strong female" characters or whatever. People care when things are shoddily jammed into a setting where things don't fit for the sake of bettering their "progressive stack", for the sake of politicizing something well outside the setting, for the sake of dragging in something that doesn't fit. People care when legitimate criticism is ignored or outright accused of being motivated by opposing political opinions on things outside the scope. People care when the game they've practically revered for two decades is declared "flawed" and retconned to have characters cracking jokes about current day issues or their favourite character is now shitcanned as being "nagging wife" and soon to be under the ~PC~ scalpel.

These idiots decided, on their own, to make the expansion a "political" issue. They put in the jokes and barbs attacking certain people, they went out on interviews "clarifying" what their view was and how they had to "correct" the previous games. They invited people to complain about it all, they brought in the drama. A lot of people looked through these things, OKed them the whole way through. A lot of people worked to make sure Minsc "them damn goobergators!" line would be in, the pinnacle and speartip of their "this is a progressive game you guys!".

Beamdog created this drama and worked for this publicity; at some point they just forgot that ratings were a part of the new game.

And if you're having difficulty with any of this, imagine a low level mook mage casting burning hands on your lvl 15 party screaming "feel the bur-!" the moment they die after one hit. Or Minsc hollering "Can't stump the thunk!" when critting something. Keldorn screaming "MAKE AMN GREAT AGAIN!" as he charges into battle. Or Viconia complaining about The Matriarchy when she sees a human mother tell her young son to go do some chores.

Blah. That's just too many words I've wasted on this. The whole thing's a game, and not the fun kind.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Siege of Dragonspear Controversy
29. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Siege of Dragonspear Controversy Apr 5, 2016, 13:44 Rilcon

"Some new NPC" isn't why people are riled, it's more how one of the new devs stated they had to (politically) correct the original game.

They had one of the series' most beloved characters make a gamergate joke; they "politicized" the game themselves and pretty much planted a banner yelling out "come at us, ~gamers~".

Neat tactic, though; release a shoddy game with technical issues, make a big deal about being "progressive", then when the negative feedback over the actual issues pours in, blame all of it on the political crap. "Those negative reviews are all from intolerant hicks! Ignore them and rate us up!"

I'm not so sorry now that BG3 will never happen, if it's these people are the ones that own the license.

News Comments > Overwatch Widowmaker Cinematic
3. Overwatch Widowmaker Cinematic Apr 4, 2016, 10:12 Rilcon

Remember kids, making light of murder, assassination, and widow making as you shoot people in the face is OK, but a pose featuring someone's clothed backside is "negative representation" and "offensive".  

228 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo