Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Rilcon

Real Name Rilcon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rilcon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 2, 2005, 23:20
Total Comments 439 (Amateur)
User ID 24143

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Awards Nominees

9. Re: Nov 20, 2019, 05:19 Rilcon

This reads more like a list of which games had the highest marketing budget than anything else. How the hell is a literal walking simulator like Death Stranding even included? It may be art, but calling it a game is straining the definition beyond meaning..  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Terminator: Resistance Released

18. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 20:34 Rilcon

Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2019, 19:27:
Why is there a checkpoint? If the answer is consoles, today's console have hard drives making the checkpoint system obsolete. So why do developers persist with checkpoints? Does it take too much development time to put in a save/load anywhere system?
Pacing and dealing with save-scumming in a simple and obvious (to the player) way. Some developers want players to replay scenarios/encounters "as intended" and not "from the instant before things went wrong", and designing and implementing systems for detecting when things "will go wrong" before they actually do is folly in most genres. It is, simply, a design decision.

News Comments > Terminator: Resistance Released

1. Re: Terminator: Resistance Released Nov 17, 2019, 13:01 Rilcon

Releasing a sci-fi movie tie-in game within a few days of an apparently pretty decent Star Wars game riding the high of a new TV series and upcoming movie...

ouch

News Comments > Commandos 2 HD & Praetorians HD Beta Access with Preorders

1. Re: Commandos 2 HD & Praetorians HD Beta Access with Preorders Nov 13, 2019, 10:38 Rilcon

Ooh, I loved these games back in the day.  

News Comments > Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks

5. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 12, 2019, 21:14 Rilcon

Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 21:05:
So anti-consumer exclusives first, now wafflestomping for 100 grand for taking a screenshot. Great way to win over consumers. You're an idiot if you support Epic. Probably the same assholes who still support Blizzard no doubt.
I, too, support flagrantly breaking clear-cut, explicit, signed contracts for the sake of reddit gold.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch

27. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 18:27 Rilcon

They're very different games. I'd say "yes", based on hours of entertainment I got out of it and the feeling of overall "quality". It doesn't however have as as much of a "western" feel as Call of Juarez.  

23. Re: Red Dead Redemption Troubleshooting Includes Launcher Patch Nov 6, 2019, 12:56 Rilcon

El Pit wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 11:22:
Avus wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 11:20:
El Pit wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 08:59:
Simon Says wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 07:07:
No key remapping...

Really? Well, then this a definite no buy for me. If I can't change from WASD to arrow keys, I'm out for good. Also: basics for a pc port: KEY REMAPPING!

not really, with a quick youtube search
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaq_QIRtT6A

Thanks! So you can actually remap the keys but need a 3 minute video tutorial explaining how to. Well... At least you CAN remap the keys if you can find the option!
The menus of RDR2 are hilariously awful. Which menu has what feels random, multiple menus deal with the same topic but don't point to eachother or hint at their existence, the button mapping for how to navigate and interact with menus changes between menus.

Same deal for many interactions in the game itself (pick up a comb? Hold X. Pick up a flower? Press X. Pick up a card? Hold Y, then press B)

I wonder if someone's made a chart of all the different menus and pages, probably more complex than many early 90s adventure games...

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 6, 2019, 07:17 Rilcon

Google ending support for a product just years after launching? Truly shocking.  

12. Re: Morning Patches Nov 6, 2019, 07:14 Rilcon

Back when I played through It took until hours after the second camp near Rhodes for the game to stop tutorializing and railroading things and let me feel like I could take time for myself. Probably the longest tutorial ever, though I've heard some jRPGs have it worse.

That said, after that point the game was very much Fun for me.

As for the gunplay/combat, it's about as involved as any other game with gunplay rooted in reality without being realistic, and the wow factor certainly helps; feedback and audio feel good, payoff for hits is nice, melee can be wonky but also fun to watch (unless someone brings a machete).

News Comments > Epic Sues Fortnite Tester over (Spoiler Alert) Spoilers

6. Re: Epic Sues Fortnite Tester over (Spoiler Alert) Spoilers Oct 26, 2019, 20:16 Rilcon

MeanJim wrote on Oct 26, 2019, 19:25:
Epic is asking for injunctive relief and maximum damages for Syke’s breach of contract and “misappropriation” of trade secrets he learned while testing for the developer. “As a direct result of Sykes’ breach of his contractual obligations under his NDA, Epic has sustained and will continue to sustain damages in an amount to be determined,” Epic said in the lawsuit.
I'm curious to know exactly what damages Epic has sustained and will continue to sustain from this? Are people not going to play their free game because of this leak?

Who knows, there are people that play Fortnite just for the deep lore, and I guess people that would see the list of future content and pass early on it, thus not getting hooked and end up paying for whatever it is you pay for in Fortnite.

Point is the guy signed a contract agreeing he'd keep quiet, and he went on to do the opposite in the most grandiose manner within his means; it could've been an NDA over the price of Snickers bars at the Epic reception lounge, dude still brought it on himself.

News Comments > Epic Sues Fortnite Tester over (Spoiler Alert) Spoilers

4. Re: Epic Sues Fortnite Tester over (Spoiler Alert) Spoilers Oct 26, 2019, 16:51 Rilcon

Dude signed and NDA and broke it... Sucks to be him now but he fucked himself over on his ownsome.  

News Comments > New PAYDAY 2 Content Coming: Won't be Free

2. Re: New PAYDAY 2 Content Coming: Won't be Free Oct 26, 2019, 07:01 Rilcon

Dacron wrote on Oct 25, 2019, 23:06:
Not surprising. They were lying before it was released. First they lied about the amount of heists planned which were later added in as DLC, the mission names were listed in day 1 game files, clearly pulled to get a quicker release and easier planned post release content. This was only found out on release, no refund (pre-steam refund era) just screwing over pre-orders, they said "we misspoke, we didn't lie about the # of heists." then they changed it to "we meant # of days total in the heists, not the heists themselves!" which was still wrong/wasn't enough and contradicted themselves.

They're a scummy outfit. They have a great rabid fanbase that will defend them, but jesus if any other group did it there would be a week long rage fest.
Maybe for some context, the studio's owner just went through bankruptcy and, to my knowledge, doesn't have any big investor backing them now. Shouldn't be surprising that they're asking for more money atm given they probably don't have anything else going on to pay the bills.

Is kinda "funny"; Starbreeze 3-4 years ago was planning to go into the "big league", even starting their own premium arcade setups and VR kits. Then someone figured out they were cooking the books and every developer dependent on them got fucked.

News Comments > More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2

12. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 9, 2019, 23:25 Rilcon

Acleacius wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 22:08:
Thanks Rilcon and OpticNerve, too bad about being locked in character wise. Also it sounds like we are being forced to play a villain which is why I never play GTA games.
Oh well, was looking forward to playing an open world western, hopefully some good will come of it.

The story tries to redeem the protagonist (there are some dialogue options every so often, so the flavor can vary), but overall it plays into the R* trope of "everyone's an asshole to justify crimes".

I enjoyed it and it a good game/"experience" IMO, but it's not the deep simulation the PR tried to play it off as; you'll have 20 nameless mooks thrown at you to gun down within the first 15 minutes, and a whole lot of missions end up as "go to A, do thing, get on horse/wagon and race to B, shoot down multiple waves of attackers on route" with just the VO and routes changing.

The hunting and fishing stuff I practically ignored, though apparently some people really enjoy that (relatively calm, some planning, resource gathering, stat/achievement increases, etc.). And the game is certainly visually stunning and an overall technical marvel.

Overall, I think it's something most people should play unless they strongly dislike westerns or open world games, but maybe not pay $60 without doing some research into first, past the hype.

News Comments > More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2

4. Re: More on PC Red Dead Redemption 2 Oct 9, 2019, 21:35 Rilcon

Acleacius wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 21:02:
Hell has frozen over, I voluntarily went to a rockstar website. Faint

Anyone who has played RDR2, are we forced to play as a male? That would suck but I realize this is a rockstar game so by definition it's gonna suck to some degree.
Quicksaves? How was the GUI in GTA5, was just guessing if they can get it right in one PC game, maybe this one too?

For the main story, yes, male; it's fairly character centric, there's not much personality you can give beyond "complete bastard" and "complete bastard that sometimes feels bad about it". For the online, which includes most (and more, I think) of the sandboxy stuff, you have character customization, but there's also no actual story or personality.

You can save whenever you wanted. I can't really remember the PC GTAV UI, which I guess means it wasn't too egregious... I can't imagine them messing up the basics, but their whole "social" and context sensitive stuff should be "interesting" to see.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 System Requirements

29. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 System Requirements Oct 9, 2019, 18:55 Rilcon

Cram wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 15:10:
Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 15:05:
Anyway, the system requirements seem very decent for what I would have imagined would be an absolute system killer of a game.

Do Rockstar allow for graphic mods? I never played GTAV for PC, but I think people have gone pretty nuts prettying that game up? I imagine there are people chewing at the bit to release stuff like that for RDR2 and turn it into a system killer. I hope so anyway.
There are a bunch of GTA 4 and 5 mods out there to make the game look "photorealistic". That said I'm not too optimistic for mod "support" in RDR2, don't think R* will make things any easier this time around.

JSP wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 14:08:
While this is a very reasonable and optimized requirement for such a visually spectacular game, I still wonder why RDR was never released on PC.
IIRC RDR was a massive hacky mess and everyone that worked on it wanted to die; I guess at some point someone did a cost estimate for what a "good enough" port would take to do considering all that and it didn't seem worth it vs focusing resources on the next GTA.

Huge shame, RDR was a pretty great game IMO. I still expect that they'll release its campaign as DLC for RDR2 at some point, the entire map (and more) is already there and it's smaller in scope than RDR2's campaign.

News Comments > Steam Top 10

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2019, 16:04 Rilcon

El Pit wrote on Oct 6, 2019, 15:21:
If a paid expansions to a F2P game and an incredibly expensive piece of hardware and small games make the Steam top 10, is it safe to say that Epic is pretty successful at making Steam sell a LOT less than ever before? And in maybe screwing Steam customers out of the games they bought there if Steam should wind down one day? Uhoh Uneasy
Steam top sellers list hasn't been much different since before EGS, doubt it's had much of an impact.

Origins and Uplay likely had much more of an effect, and I imagine Humble Bundle as, afaik, this list goes off revenue and not units.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Next Month

41. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Next Month Oct 4, 2019, 20:35 Rilcon

ventry wrote on Oct 4, 2019, 19:43:
Does RDR2 Have a first person mode like GTAV??
Yes.

News Comments > Yes, Your Grace Announced

2. Re: Yes, Your Grace Announced Oct 3, 2019, 13:53 Rilcon

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 3, 2019, 12:29:
Not only does that look terrible, the music in the trailer is absolutely awful.

Nah, it looks great and the music is cool.

News Comments > Infinity Ward on Special Ops Survival Mode PS4 Exclusivity

7. Re: Infinity Ward on Special Ops Survival Mode PS4 Exclusivity Sep 26, 2019, 00:07 Rilcon

Cutter wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 20:02:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Sep 25, 2019, 19:54:
yeah, that's a no from me dog.

Screw this BS

Then tell MS to pony up the dough for access to it. Can't blame IW when Sony gives them a truck full of cash to do it.

I do hope this is inline with how you feel about EGS vs Steam exclusives.

News Comments > Billion Dollar Borderlands 3

59. Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 23, 2019, 21:47 Rilcon

Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 21:29:
Rilcon wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 20:39:
Or just pay their employees better salaries, which indirectly helps them make more and/or better games.

That whole "They'll pay their developers better salaries!" thing sounds really familiar... Where have we heard that before? Trickle-Down something something?

Please stop with this argument. It's a dumb argument. The big corporate tax cut was going to give everyone big fat raises too. Everyone who actually got a big fat raise, rather than absolutely jack shit or a one-time miserly bonus (which got taxed extra), please raise your hands.

Publishers aren't going to give the extra 18% to their developers. Trickle Down economics don't work, no matter how many times we try them, because the people who are supposed to be trickling down are greedy fucking bastards.

(I totally get why publishers prefer EGS over Steam, 18% is 18% and it's a BIG chunk of cash. I just wish people would stop with this trickle down argument.)

By that logic, Steam's profits all go to GabeN's wallet and none of it towards Valve game development, right?

439 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >