Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rilcon

Real Name Rilcon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rilcon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 2, 2005, 23:20
Total Comments 287 (Amateur)
User ID 24143

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Free Content Detailed
3. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Free Content Detailed Nov 16, 2017, 18:32 Rilcon

If you ever feel the need to use any of the paid lootboxes you're probably so bad at this game you quit in the first hour. The game drops loads of them for any of the online stuff, and you're rewarded so much money during normal gameplay that the UI doesn't even allow you to spend it all.

I get that there's a stink and a scare over the mere mention of the term "loot box", but this isn't the game where they're a problem.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hitman TV Series Plans
2. Re: Hitman TV Series Plans Nov 14, 2017, 07:47 Rilcon

I think the movies were fine as action movies, but not as "Hitman movies". The focus on the games is always on stealth and infiltration, with gunplay reserved for "everything's gone to hell and I don't want to restart" or just the "stress relief" of plowing through a carefully constructed wonderland with a bulldozer.

News Comments > Overgrowth Launches
3. Re: Overgrowth Launches Oct 17, 2017, 05:19 Rilcon

loomy wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 22:51:
what the hell, isn't this the game the humble bundle guy was working in before he struck gold? and didn't he just sell out to IGN? this must have quite a story behind it
As a completely uneducated guess, with Overgrowth finally finished he didn't feel the need to continue working on Humble Bundle, which started as a way to support its development, and has decided to retire from the industry on the high note of publishing his magnum opus (as well as several older indie/experimental games) and a much-beloved shop/charity.

I'll have to reinstall Overgrowth; bought it ages ago, last I tried it was still pretty much just a prototype with an in-game level editor and a few community-made scenarios. But fun, and Lugaru was great.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released
7. Re: Console FoV Oct 10, 2017, 10:54 Rilcon

For monitor, I go windowed and move it from the secondary to the primary, then fullscreen. I have no idea why it wants to start on the secondary screen, only game that's done that in recent memory.

Also yeah, it goes from really basic tutorial to suddenly game very suddenly. Also you didn't forget, SoM you gained health back only from eating herbs or certain action depending on your rune setup (or just fast travelling). There's a lot that's the same and a lot that's different. Probably doesn't help that I left off SoM with everything maxed and about half the abilities start off reset because plot.

Overall I'm really liking it, though. First "real" area I'm fairly sure is larger than both SoM areas put together, and there's certainly loads of different things to do.

News Comments > Dead Rising 4 Adding Other CapCom Heroes
3. Re: Dead Rising 4 Adding Other CapCom Heroes Oct 7, 2017, 19:10 Rilcon

DR4 good? I loved 1 and liked 2. 3... I stopped playing as it was just "too easy" and felt like they'd gone too far in the "just do crazy shit" rather than survival.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
14. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 7, 2017, 02:44 Rilcon

NKD wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 20:40:
Rilcon wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 20:27:
Whole bunch of marketing and ~fake news~; there's no controversy over this game,

Trumpians on reddit seem pretty triggered about it. But I'm sure that's a false flag using fake accounts right? Something something Soros something (((globalists)))?

A handful of loud monkeys screeching on reddit of 4chan isn't a controversy... I've seen more hubbub over how Sonic's eyes were drawn in a single specific comic panel from a fan artist than this. Too many people are eager to turn whatever some idiot or nobody says into a "big deal" for attention, be it free marketing or pageviews.

And I still don't know or particularly care about who Soros is, other than that anyone mentioning him for one "side" or the other seems to probably spend too much time on the stupid parts of the internet.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 6, 2017, 20:27 Rilcon

Whole bunch of marketing and ~fake news~; there's no controversy over this game, and pretending there is is as dumb as giving credence to any of the bullshit the WBP spouts about whatever they want to leach off of this week. Shooting nazis in the face is as god damned American as it gets.

Shit, I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda has people pretending to be "alt-right" just to complain about the game and get it cheap marketing. It's not like it's hard to pretend to be retarded.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 1, 2017, 18:39 Rilcon

Probably one funded by ISPs or social media platforms that don't want to waste money on useless data storage, tracking, and sharing, plus all the legal nonsense and loss of corporate freedoms. Not saying that's what's at play here, mind.  

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
7. Re: Emulation and the Law Sep 30, 2017, 21:08 Rilcon

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 20:55:
No one who paid for mmo or steam infected drm games gets the right to complain about drm effecting game preservation. If you bought Everquest, World of warcraft or played any mmo, paid for any skins in a drm'd game or any microtransaction you set the foundation for all this shit.

MMO's were the original drm'd online game with a subscription fee and the gaming masses ate it right up. To suddenly get all teary eyed about preserving game history when most people are still buying drm infested games is quite the bit of hypocrisy.

I'd jest with the old "you must be fun at parties" quip, but I kinda doubt you get invited to any.

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
2. Re: etc. Sep 30, 2017, 17:00 Rilcon

Atlus kinda extremely sound like high-level assholes... I mean, they're not selling any more copies of PS3 games, so this reeks of lawyers doing something assholish and ultimately detrimental to everyone affected and involved just to justify their absurd paychecks.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 30, 2017, 15:11 Rilcon

Did you read the article? Because it doesn't sound like you read the article.

He's posing the question because he, "an emigrant", is practically a model US citizen, having ascended the military ranks and now holding one of the highest public office roles.

ie. he's stating that the whole thing is stupid and has the potential to fuck over loads of "good people".

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Sep 29, 2017, 20:50 Rilcon

I always find these discussions a bit odd, on how passionate people can get over "paying to avoid the grind" or "financially punished for being bad", when that's one of the things that the industry was kind of founded on. Arcades may be a dying thing now, but back in the day they drove innovation in tech and gameplay, and their core mechanic of them was "pay more, have an easier game, be able to progress more, play for longer".

I mean, yeah, here you're paying for the game and then given the "option" to either grind / pray to the RNG God or pay some more, and that can suck depending on how it's balanced and what's being gated. A $60 game will average out to being $70-80, maybe. But those quarter munchers of old, even if it just cost $.25 to start playing, the game time per money ratio was way worse for the player. Myeh. If anything, at least they're upfront about it; there were plenty of arcade games designed to be nearly impossible to beat on a single life.

Anyway... the target audience for these things isn't kids with their parents' credit card, it's people with jobs that want to get high-level content quickly without spending the time getting to it. That is, people that used to grind for 3h a day after class or on the weekends but now have a job and more involved social responsibilities that takes more time and energy.

Now, whether this sort of thing is good for them because they now have the option to complete (or "fully experience" games they wouldn't be able to otherwise, or bad because the increase in grind is notable enough to make that objective even harder, is something to be seen. It'll depend a lot on the studio and publisher, and will likely be called out heavily in reviews ("professional" and not); I remember the last Deus Ex had A LOT of negative reactions over this before release, but then everyone that played the game came back with "it's nothing".

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 29, 2017, 06:16 Rilcon

Really hope they announce a PC version, and that there's no long delay for it. Wasn't planning on getting a console this generation, but Redemption is one of my favourites.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video
9. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Sep 19, 2017, 16:49 Rilcon

mustang05tim wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 14:42:
I've already bought this through Bundle Stars for $42. The original is one of my favorite all time games, and after watching several hours of gameplay videos from developers and streamers, the game looks pretty solid. I really look forward to it and wish that it was released already.

As far as the loot box controversy, I actually don't mind them, as long as there are not any items that are exclusive to the paid loot boxes, or that there is a reasonable chance that the in game currency will grant you the same bonuses. From what I have read, the paid loot boxes will only allow you to "cheat" ahead for really impatient people by providing XP, unique Orcs, and items for a real world price, ahead of being able to get the same things using the in game currency, which is obtained by doing...imagine this.....playing the game. I don't mind because I already imagine that I will be investing probably a couple hundred hours into this game anyway. If this was a multiplayer game, then the paid loot box would be horrible. But as this is a single player game, it's not a biggie, at least to me.

Pretty much this...

I would've paid full price of this if it were just the original game with new maps, and from what I know of what the game is I'll be happy no matter what. The loot box thing... I just don't care; it's a choice between grind or pay, and I already know I'll grind the shit out of this simply because I like the core mechanics. If someone with less time or patience wants to get the same shit with money as someone that played for it, when that time playing is actually fun, myeh.

I mean, I know there's the risk that the game balance was shifted to make the grind terrible to make paying for things more enticing than playing for them, but I legit like the SoM gameplay enough that I cannot envision this ever affecting me because killing hundreds of orcs is fun. I see it as if Bioware's Mass Effect "story mode" difficulty setting cost $5 extra.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video
2. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Sep 19, 2017, 11:05 Rilcon

WB has always spent /a lot/ on marketing. And to be fair, most of the games they publish are fairly decent, and for Mordor their marketing "expertise" managed to do the game more harm than good. May be the same here, overexpose and all (loot crate drama aside); "if it's good why are they pushing it so hard, aren't they confident?" and such

Still find it a bit weird that they're an actual games publisher, I've associated them with Looney Tunes forever...

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Nears 500K Sold
14. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Nears 500K Sold Sep 19, 2017, 04:35 Rilcon

Can one jump into this without having played the previous game?  

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Sep 15, 2017, 03:56 Rilcon

This is all really dumb.

(no offense meant towards those with speech disabilities differences)

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 10, 2017, 16:30 Rilcon

Unfortunately Kickstarter doesn't operate in their country.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 8, 2017, 11:32 Rilcon

The researches stated they did it to prove it could be done, and better the information be out in the open (and possibly push towards legislation and accords to limit this) than it be silently developed and used by governments with the nefarious intentions you alluded towards.

If something can be invented, no matter how useless or terrible, someone somewhere will invent it and maybe even build it. At least now it won't come as a surprise to anyone.

News Comments > High Hell Announced
4. Re: High Hell Announced Sep 3, 2017, 00:34 Rilcon

and indies are dropping some amazing titles which in turn has given birth to the 'fuck it, it's "stylized" lets release it' level of crappy shareware of the 80's and 90's.

How fucking dare indy studios not have the millions of USD needed to provide up to date graphics!?

Buddy listen, these days for indy studios it's a 3-way choice:
1- Spend millions on art
2- Use a style that gets away with cheap/little art (ie. "stylized" or a game type that outright absconds needing art)
3- Make something that looks like Quake 3 era and get shat on

Most people really have no fucking clue about the sort of work and money that goes in to creating games and it's really god damned depressing.

287 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo