Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rilcon

Real Name Rilcon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rilcon
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 2, 2005, 23:20
Total Comments 274 (Amateur)
User ID 24143

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video
9. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Sep 19, 2017, 16:49 Rilcon

mustang05tim wrote on Sep 19, 2017, 14:42:
I've already bought this through Bundle Stars for $42. The original is one of my favorite all time games, and after watching several hours of gameplay videos from developers and streamers, the game looks pretty solid. I really look forward to it and wish that it was released already.

As far as the loot box controversy, I actually don't mind them, as long as there are not any items that are exclusive to the paid loot boxes, or that there is a reasonable chance that the in game currency will grant you the same bonuses. From what I have read, the paid loot boxes will only allow you to "cheat" ahead for really impatient people by providing XP, unique Orcs, and items for a real world price, ahead of being able to get the same things using the in game currency, which is obtained by doing...imagine this.....playing the game. I don't mind because I already imagine that I will be investing probably a couple hundred hours into this game anyway. If this was a multiplayer game, then the paid loot box would be horrible. But as this is a single player game, it's not a biggie, at least to me.

Pretty much this...

I would've paid full price of this if it were just the original game with new maps, and from what I know of what the game is I'll be happy no matter what. The loot box thing... I just don't care; it's a choice between grind or pay, and I already know I'll grind the shit out of this simply because I like the core mechanics. If someone with less time or patience wants to get the same shit with money as someone that played for it, when that time playing is actually fun, myeh.

I mean, I know there's the risk that the game balance was shifted to make the grind terrible to make paying for things more enticing than playing for them, but I legit like the SoM gameplay enough that I cannot envision this ever affecting me because killing hundreds of orcs is fun. I see it as if Bioware's Mass Effect "story mode" difficulty setting cost $5 extra.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video
2. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Sep 19, 2017, 11:05 Rilcon

WB has always spent /a lot/ on marketing. And to be fair, most of the games they publish are fairly decent, and for Mordor their marketing "expertise" managed to do the game more harm than good. May be the same here, overexpose and all (loot crate drama aside); "if it's good why are they pushing it so hard, aren't they confident?" and such

Still find it a bit weird that they're an actual games publisher, I've associated them with Looney Tunes forever...

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Nears 500K Sold
14. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Nears 500K Sold Sep 19, 2017, 04:35 Rilcon

Can one jump into this without having played the previous game?  

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Sep 15, 2017, 03:56 Rilcon

This is all really dumb.

(no offense meant towards those with speech disabilities differences)

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 10, 2017, 16:30 Rilcon

Unfortunately Kickstarter doesn't operate in their country.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 8, 2017, 11:32 Rilcon

The researches stated they did it to prove it could be done, and better the information be out in the open (and possibly push towards legislation and accords to limit this) than it be silently developed and used by governments with the nefarious intentions you alluded towards.

If something can be invented, no matter how useless or terrible, someone somewhere will invent it and maybe even build it. At least now it won't come as a surprise to anyone.

News Comments > High Hell Announced
4. Re: High Hell Announced Sep 3, 2017, 00:34 Rilcon

and indies are dropping some amazing titles which in turn has given birth to the 'fuck it, it's "stylized" lets release it' level of crappy shareware of the 80's and 90's.

How fucking dare indy studios not have the millions of USD needed to provide up to date graphics!?

Buddy listen, these days for indy studios it's a 3-way choice:
1- Spend millions on art
2- Use a style that gets away with cheap/little art (ie. "stylized" or a game type that outright absconds needing art)
3- Make something that looks like Quake 3 era and get shat on

Most people really have no fucking clue about the sort of work and money that goes in to creating games and it's really god damned depressing.

News Comments > MS Open to More Cross-Play with Other Platforms
6. Re: MS Open to More Cross-Play with Other Platforms Aug 30, 2017, 15:32 Rilcon

"this needs to be an initiative and decision coming from the actual developers."

No, it's not. Platform holders are extremely restrictive of this sort of thing; for Sony it's a big fat "no" every time a dev asks (and they do ask)*. Doing this sort of thing from a development side of things is fairly easy if you plan for it early on; the game server is the game server, it won't care about what you're connecting from as long as the clients are sending and receiving the right messages, and platform specific things like where to get user names and where to save score data are easy to handle.

MS is doing this because they've lost hard to Sony this round. During the 360 days, MS was adamant that no game could have crossplatform MP unless they had a Live gamercard, which meant 360 <-> PC GFLW only. It was in the TCR list, and it was probably in the XR list until very recently. Sony had similar requirements for PS3 and now for PS4, and they have zero incentive to make any change.

*there are exceptions here and there, mainly MMO type things where the publisher handles almost the entire network platform

News Comments > Decoherence Revealed
3. Re: Decoherence Revealed Aug 16, 2017, 14:22 Rilcon

>alt-left

wew lad

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 16, 2017, 10:46 Rilcon

6th episode leak was HBO's spanish chanel pressing the button too early.  

News Comments > Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth Released
7. Re: Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth Released Aug 16, 2017, 07:49 Rilcon

I have no interest in the game, but how the heck is it poorly drawn?  

News Comments > For Honor Season 3 Today
2. Re: For Honor Season 3 Today Aug 15, 2017, 13:28 Rilcon

The game takes seasons as way to tally world scores and reset some things, iirc, not really for DLC/expansions like episodic games. So seasons being 3 months and this being the start of the third makes sense.

Hopefully one day there's something more properly SP or coop-like here for folk like me.

News Comments > etc.
24. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2017, 22:11 Rilcon

"I'm not sure why you say the market isn't growing. We've seen this industry increase from millions to billions over the past few decades. Also EA, Activision, Tencent, and many others are profitable or very profitable companies."

Market growth in the last decade and bit has been mainly in "casual" games, competitive online, and F2P, last I checked, and you'll notice the companies you named are heavily into floods of small DLC, microtransactions (including MP P2W), and F2P.

"You do realize that when we buy the game, we give them money, don't you?"

Yes... the problem is it's not enough money. The more features you want in a game, the more people and/or time it takes to make the game. If you're still charging the same ~$50 for a game that cost $80mil to make now as you did for a game that cost $10mil ten you years ago, you either sell eight times more units or you figure out another way to make a profit. And I'm fairly sure the budget for this is well over $80mil.

If they can make it work, cool. If not and it's obnoxious or gating chunks of gameplay (or just making things overly difficult) only to those with way too much free time or money, then not cool. For now I prefer to not be fatalistic.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2017, 15:15 Rilcon

Further disclosure, I work in the industry (though on much less interesting things). The industry is, as everyone knows, very shitty.

Chances are pretty high parts of the new RPG and inventory/item system wouldn't even exist if they couldn't introduce microtransactions like this. More features are always all well and good but the money to make them has to come from somewhere.

I don't know if people realize this, but the cost of making (and marketing) a "AAA" game has risen to absurd levels, while the price of buying a game hasn't moved from the $40-60 area for over a decade, nor has the market increased much. Add to that that people don't want to just break even (ie. pay back the bank/investors), they want to make enough to fund new projects and the downtimes between them; these games have teams of 50 to 400 people working on them, not counting outsourcers, and the time you spend without a signed project in the works or investors happy there're clear profits coming up is money you're burning away, and likely letting talent (that you spent a lot in training) go (which leads to delays due to hiring whenever you actually have something again).

"AAA" games in general are either going to see a price increase, more stuff like this, or even more dependence on DLC/episodic. Even indie games are seeing their prices increase, and plenty of studios still dissolve after one or two games.

For myself I'm hoping it's handled well and is only enticing to people that want to rush through the game as fast/easily as possible. Gating like this is still better than what games used to do with preorder bonuses, which are outright locked out for 90% of players no matter what. It took 12? years for Baldur's Gate 2's pay-for items to be available to everyone, nevermind that those were certainly unbalancing in the early game.

I should have gone into banking systems...

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2017, 12:12 Rilcon

Eh... not too worried about the lootbox thing. Shadow of Mordor (and near every other open world game) has a lot of grinding and fuck-about gameplay available; I can imagine some people don't care for it as much and just want to go from one "epic set piece" to the next and watch cutscenes along the way as fast as possible to actually finish the game, while others will spend ten hours between every story-related thing doing all the collectibles possible and just generally enjoying the base gameplay.

Full disclosure: I have over 150 hours on Shadow of Mordor because I'm addicted to murderizing orcs and seeing what new captains pop up. With my obsessiveness I doubt I'll notice the (soft) gating, and getting a little reward every now and then for my dedication to virtual genocide or token hoarding is nice. If someone wants to pay a buck fifty or whatever to get the same virtual trinket for whatever reason and skip several hours of "menial gameplay", myeh; I guess it's kinda like paying for official game guides with cheatcodes and shortcuts in the olden days.

I'm guessing they'll be adding some memory encryption like Arxan or online checks to avoid people just memory editing in the money, which sucks for people that are really bad at games or just want to mess around.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 23, 2017, 14:05 Rilcon

Serious question: Why keep putting up article's related to Pachter?  

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 4M
2. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 4M Jun 23, 2017, 20:17 Rilcon

Neat, good for them.  

News Comments > Ex-PAYDAY Devs: GTFO
6. Re: Ex-PAYDAY Devs: GTFO Jun 1, 2017, 13:19 Rilcon

It's extremely unlikely a game designer, even the lead game designer, would have anything to do with monetization. There are different departments/people for that, very specialized in what they do, and GD can do little more than make it as painless as possible while complaining all the way through.  

News Comments > Flying Tigers: Shadows Over China Takes Off
2. Re: Flying Tigers: Shadows Over China Takes Off May 29, 2017, 14:26 Rilcon

As far as I recall, Janes stopped pumping out new sims, then IL2 Sturmovik and later DCS stuff came out and everyone went "OK, I guess that's good enough" for the next fifteen years.  

News Comments > Starfighter Origins Tomorrow
23. Re: Starfighter Origins Tomorrow Apr 24, 2017, 19:22 Rilcon

It's UE4; you can tell by its trademark shimmering and refraction and by how its says UE4 at the end =p  

274 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo