Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for yonderboyOSLT

Real Name yonderboyOSLT   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname yonder
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 7896851
Description
Homepage http://www.planetdungeonsiege.com
Signed On Oct 8, 2005, 00:21
Total Comments 363 (Amateur)
User ID 23920

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA BFGD Revealed
6. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 12:44 yonder

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:20:
Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:13:
Big Fucking Gaming Display.

I don't imagine too many people have a PC setup where a 65 inch screen is all that useful...

That where you're wrong friend, I play on my 70" TV and have been waiting for something like this.

And since you are the "many people" he refers to...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 6, 2018, 22:31 yonder

CES secret? Um... by secret do they mean "completely obvious fact that no one needs to say because it's so obvious"?

CES is basically a tech trade show. Pointing out that most things don't make it is like pointing out that concept cars at auto shows rarely make it out to the roads...

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 16, 2017, 14:00 yonder

It might just be my overriding cynicism, but why did people ever ACTUALLY believe Silicon Valley was any different? Just because a turd looks unusual doesn't mean it's not a turd...  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
32. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 15, 2017, 05:17 yonder

Creston wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 11:22:
I take it you're not aware the guy actually MADE the Battle Royale theme. So he has some legitimacy here. Even so, he still just comes off as a whiner.

There's a reason you said "Battle Royale theme" and not "PUBG theme"...

Cuz it's an already long-established idea. He didn't come up with anything except the specific combo of already-existing ideas.

I played mods just like it nearly 20 years ago.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Nov 30, 2017, 11:53 yonder

Even though he's a complete "insert insult here", Parker's completely right.

Darks - Wanna know why Bungie and EA and Activision and Ubi and the like "still [don't] get it"? It's because they've been doing this for 25 years and they've been getting away with it for 24.5 years.

The negative response and, more importantly, LACK OF PURCHASING that is accompanying these negative responses is an aberration. We grognards have been complaining about this for decades. Literally. Youngins are just now realizing the obvious.

There's no reason for them to change because there's no actual negative consequence... YET... for their actions.

And before someone throws out that idiotics "EA stock is down" crap... that's for this month. Please look at their stock for the year. If I was immoral enough to invest in immoral companies for a profit on the stock market, EA would be near the top of the list, because idiots still pay good money for their horrible games.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 30, 2017, 11:49 yonder

Impressive conflation going on here.  

News Comments > EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear
25. Re: EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear Nov 30, 2017, 08:16 yonder

Wesp5 wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 06:29:
So no one wants a linear single-player game anymore? Does anyone have numbers on how well the Doom and Wolfenstein remakes did? Because they were classical linear single-player shooters!

Might wanna check the definition of classical. Most of the original 3D shooters weren't remotely linear, you can think CoD and consoler shooters for linearity becoming the standard.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Forces EA Stock Towards the Dark Side
8. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 28, 2017, 20:23 yonder

"down 8.5 percent month to date"

Um... yes... and up 1% in the past 5 days, down maybe 5% since the beta started, and up nearly 1% since the release of SW:BF2. It's almost as if they cherry-picked the time period to make it look relevant... I'm a passionate EA-hater, but to draw the comparison is just silly. It's up nearly 20% on the year and up nearly 7 fold in the past half-decade.

EA's doing just fine and anyone w/ a basic ability to read stock info should know better.

Then again, this *IS* CNBC, so...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2017, 23:02 yonder

I'm a lil perplexed that the same-day (as in within 24 hours) deaths of Charles Manson, Jacob Rothschild, and Salvatore Riina wasn't even mentioned. Obviously Blues is part of the Illuminati and doesn't want to acknowledge the proof of this conspiracy!!!  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
12. Re: Sunday Interviews Nov 19, 2017, 22:55 yonder

NKD wrote on Nov 19, 2017, 15:47:
CD Projekt Red is such a great company, but I'm so soured on them by the constant circlejerking over them. It's just a bitter reminder that companies like that are so few now that they are literally the only example anyone can ever come up with of a game developer doing things the "right" way.

Might wanna look into Paradox (the dev studio, not the publisher, though they're not terrible).

Rhett wrote on Nov 19, 2017, 16:24:
Yeah... It's so despicably sad that gaming has been turned into a money-milking machine, and true love and dedication rarely gets poured into games anymore.

"Has been turned into"? Might wanna look up the history, or look it up again. I suggest starting with Atari in the 1970s. Don't care what happens in gaming regarding publisher greed, it *IS* just a different version of the same thing, whether you know it or not.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled
5. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 16, 2017, 23:17 yonder

I love that even their apologies are condescending.

And guys, don't celebrate too soon, customers are NOT learning. What % of people do you think will still pre-order the next EA game? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too high guys. Way too high.

You know what's the most discouraging thing about this? How long it's been blindingly obvious to anyone paying attention. EA's business model is all about the 18 month cycle. There's literally a sucker born every minute, so who cares how many people learn how crappy you are, all that matters is naive people giving them money because they ignore the press and experienced friends. Kids are some of their biggest market because they are, by nature, ignorant. My buddy's kid is a pretty awesome gamer and he was all about BF1. His dad and I warned him about it and explained that he was going to get bored quickly and that they'd continue selling stuff that SHOULD be in the game initially... and then they'd come out w/ a sequel really quickly.

Luckily... he learned quickly. He's picking up on the concept of value pretty decently. Smart kid.

BUT...

All that matters to EA is that they got the equivalent of 90 bucks or so for one boring game. Who cares that he learns... there's a new batch next year.

And then there are the stupid ones... the ones who loved Mass Effect and were surprised by Mass Effect 3's half-ass ending and buggy-ass gameplay... and loved Dragon Age: Origin and were disappointed by DA2's half-ass BS like re-using maps (and I don't mean having the game in one city, I mean actually reusing the friggin SAME map for different locations and not even bothering to hide it or cover it up) and then were shocked by how boring DA:I was, then loved The Sims 1 & 2 and were disappointed by some of the changes in The Sims 3 and were shocked by how Sims 4 was worse in numerous ways as well as the fact that, SOMEHOW, they sell 40 dollar DLC packs that were exactly the same as the previous installments, and then loved Plants vs Zombies and, weirdly enough, were upset by how EA made PvZ2 a freemium crapfest, and then were really confused by the stuff that is going on w/ SF:BF...

Don't even get me started!

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: 18 countries had their elections hacked last year Nov 15, 2017, 04:10 yonder

NKD wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 14:47:
Trump won the election by a margin of like 80,000 votes that just happened to swing the EC in his direction. Despite losing the popular vote by millions.

That's amazing math you have there.

And yeah, f*ck anyone who pretends to be part of journalism and still calls it "hacking"...

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints
61. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 17:31 yonder

Prez wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 11:55:
I love reading the huge number of posts in that thread that mention cancelling preorders. Just like I love the overall negative review rating from thousands of players of NBA 2K18 and Modern Warfare Remastered. It's about time consumers started pushing back against the never-ending stream of bullshit coming from publishers these days. Fuck EA, Fuck 2K, and Fuck Activision.

Tell me when people are intelligent enough to stop PRE-ORDERING FROM SH*T COMPANIES LIKE EA AND ACTIVISION! Ugh... isn't 25 years of evidence enough?

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints
59. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 17:16 yonder

There isn't enough popcorn for this discussion. This is Star Citizen level of figthing. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Also, f*ck lazy-ass entitled Millennial gamers. Be gone with thee, scourge!

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 8, 2017, 22:13 yonder

“These badges will remain on TripAdvisor for up to three months. However, if the issues persist we may extend the duration of the badge,” he said. “These badges are intended to be informative, not punitive.”

So that'll last about what, two weeks? Superb goal... but...

News Comments > Mass Effect N7 Day
5. Re: Mass Effect N7 Day Nov 7, 2017, 22:49 yonder

Slick wrote on Nov 7, 2017, 21:51:
How about a Xbox one X enhanced patch? Considering the PS4 pro got [one], and the game is only 8 months old... NOPE!

Still a good franchise, whatever you think of the ending of ME3. I like developers who take chances, even if I don't like the outcomes, I think it's overall too rare with popular culture.

I can't honestly say I'd feel so much better if I just beat the bad aliens, restored peace to the galaxy, got a space mansion, and was awarded a bunch of medals and a million space bucks from the space government etc....

I wonder if you'd feel better if you weren't lied to for five years. A great example of a developer that took chances would be BioWare and not BioWarEA.

News Comments > Wild West Online Early Access This Month
11. Re: Wild West Online Early Access This Month Nov 5, 2017, 02:58 yonder

WitcherOntheProwl wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 18:37:
MMo's take way to much time to level by yourself. If you can get into a group of people and charge through raids, or flash points or any area's where you gain huge xp. I would say do it. I remember playing AION and I stopped because the XP amount got into the millions at a mid level. Talk about a grind fest. If this goes f2p I will give it a try.

Are you the one who wrote the press release?

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Nov 4, 2017, 01:44 yonder

NKD wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 01:19:
Accurate representations of the game are not what gets eyeballs on your game. Otherwise trailers would just be a list of game features and/or a story prologue. He draws a parallel to movie trailers saying "They don't just play a violent scene from the movie!" No, but they also need to show the trailer on broadcast television. If they didn't have to worry about that, movie trailers would absolutely be less kid-friendly.

Movie trailers are often very poor representations of what's in a film. Showing only the most actiony bits, and scenes that aren't even in the final cut because they make for a good trailer but a shit film.

Marketing material isn't meant to be educational or informative, it's meant to increase sales. It's the job of people who review products and conduct interviews with creators to get us the information we want.

Oddly enough, we're all attracted to things in different ways. SOME of us are in the "no gameplay? Don't care" camp. Sadly we're a sorely under-served portion of the population, since most people are in the "OOOH, SHINY!" part of the population.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Nov 4, 2017, 00:53 yonder

As always, I love the super-mature "if you allow jay-walking, next thing you know murder will be legal" type of thinking of the sensory-deprivation tank citing morons here.

Because, ya know, the only two options are literally the most extreme choices. There's no protecting the kid without completely withholding literally everything from the kid. There's honestly no other way of doing it.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2017, 15:11 yonder

I didn't read the article, just the headline, but...

Um... it's the PLAYER that decides what they value. If they value difficulty, then BAM, difficulty matters. Don't think Rolling Stone should be patronizing gamers and telling them what should or shouldn't matter. There are PLENTY of reasons to value difficulty and PLENTY to say "yeah, remove the difficulty." And, on top of that, many ways to measure difficulty.

363 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo