Total Posts
3907 (Veteran)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

3907 Comments. 196 pages. Viewing page 16.
Newer [  1    11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26    196  ] Older

Re: No subject
Jul 15, 2008, 05:13
Re: No subject Jul 15, 2008, 05:13
Jul 15, 2008, 05:13

Oh how I wish that Troika wasn't dead and that they had this license. Sure, the game would be buggy and unpolished but the fundamental gameplay and writing would be top notch.

Please at least get it right - Vampire being buggy and rather unpolished (no argument there) was due to Activision rushing the game out (despite the need to keep it from coming out before Half Life2...); the top-notch writing was is Troika's doing.

Oh, and the raiders look retarded. Aren't they supposed to be intimidating or something?

In the walkthrough demo, they look like over-tanned homeless people.

I imagine the housing market in post-apocalyptic America is pretty crappy. Given that being a Raider is an outdoor occupation, I also am prone to speculate that the Wastes in Fallout probably give these guys a decent chance at a tan.

Imagine that.

Re: Judas Priest
Jul 15, 2008, 05:10
Re: Judas Priest Jul 15, 2008, 05:10
Jul 15, 2008, 05:10

...it should be interesting to see how Rage sells, given the "fool me once" axiom.

Yes, said axiom applies if you're first game played was, in fact, DooM 3. Some of us actually go back 10+ years earlier with their games.

Jul 3, 2008, 17:22
Re: No subject Jul 3, 2008, 17:22
Jul 3, 2008, 17:22

I put up a post about why I was canceling my account for this game and it was removed and I was warned about violating the rules of the forums.

Read a plethora of reviews on a game before you buy it, you'll get an idea of how generally buggy it is...no fault but your own you were suckered into this.

Re: Congrats Blizzard
Jul 3, 2008, 17:18
Re: Congrats Blizzard Jul 3, 2008, 17:18
Jul 3, 2008, 17:18

I expect this ... early 2010.

You're full of shit. This game will not see the light of day until 2050 at least.

Jun 26, 2008, 15:43
Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 15:43
Jun 26, 2008, 15:43

I think what you mean is they are still unconstitutional.

No, you would be fucking crazy to think you have absolute rights to have and use any kind of weapon you see fit.

Besides, it's not like gun control at the level of handguns and assault rifles would really accomplish anything. As much as I hate to say it, it's just impossible to enact any sort of practical control just with the numerical magnitude of actual guns in the US. That, and of course the primitive idea of countering a huge social problem in the US (you know, America has the highest rate of gun crimes in the world, bar none) is to simply let more firearms into circulation.

It's a wild wild west mentality.

I think it would have opened the door for too many interpretations on other issues.

Any thinking person can see the Second Amendment is easily the most embarrassing "amendment" in the Constitution. The proof is in how long it has taken for this kind of ruling to come around. If the Framers had actually directly intended such a right to be held by the average citizen they would have directly stated it. None of the other amendments are written so cryptically or with as much room for interpretation.

Re: Voice of GTAIV
May 22, 2008, 02:18
Re: Voice of GTAIV May 22, 2008, 02:18
May 22, 2008, 02:18

They should be happy with what they made and stop being greedy, considering how trivial their contributions were in the grand scheme of things.

Relatively speaking, they're just succeeding in the industry. If you're going to define being greedy as simply wanting more money, hell, you may want to look at the games industry from the point of view that it exists to make profit for someone, somewhere.

It is a business proposition to set up a game development company and put out games, afterall.

This comment was edited on May 22, 02:30.

May 1, 2008, 03:19
Re: No subject May 1, 2008, 03:19
May 1, 2008, 03:19

I'd really love to see another Vampire game like it, only with more polish.

Hopefully you'd want more than that out of a new Vampire game. Like new gameplay and such. Better and continued support on part of the publisher would be nice.

I'd really love to see another Vampire game like it, only with more polish. Unfortunately, with all the PC developers flocking to consoles, that's not going to happen.

Why is that going to stop them from putting out another Vampire game? "PC developers flocking to consoles" isn't stopping anything from done so much as the franchise hasn't been resurrected and exploited for revenue.

Apr 30, 2008, 18:44
Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 18:44
Apr 30, 2008, 18:44

George was given nothing-- DNF is being funded on 3DR's dime.

Okay, he was put in charge of the project. Semantics aside, I'm curious too how 3dR is still funding this game out of their own pocket. They haven't put out a new game in forever. Royalty payments for past and fairly recent properties must be killer. That and I wouldn't be surprised if Georgy B and Scott Miller aren't using some of their personal funds to keep this afloat.

Either way, no matter how much people say "3d is taking the time to develop the best game they can" any other company and George would've been canned for sitting on his ass for too long.

Not exactly. Duke Nukem 3D set the bar on interactivity.

It's hardly off the mark. The game came out over ten years ago. Whatever it contributed has been improved upon, surpassed, and even made obsolete since then.

No one is saying it wasn't/isn't a great game, mind you.

John Romero looks better everyday. At least he released his game...

He released A program, not exactly anything I'd call a "game" or even "entertainment" that comparable to whatever vision Romero was spouting off.

You remember "design is LAW!"? That shit still burns.

DN3D also had some pretty unique and badass weapons. And strippers.

It's Duke and we're 3D Realms.

Re: ...
Apr 30, 2008, 18:22
Re: ... Apr 30, 2008, 18:22
Apr 30, 2008, 18:22

The understanding is that the boundaries of acceptability are constantly being expanded - this has happened since the 50s in music, television, art and computer games.

This sort of thing was happening in the centuries prior to the 20th. Hell, see the histories of Galileo and the broad inquisitions imposed by the Catholic Church for many such examples. Especially for "boundaries of acceptability" and such, the subjects that that term of yours is attached to is a reflection of the arts and entertainments of the time. IE, GTA IV reflects a lot of the images and settings and ideals of what is viewed as the criminal world and presents them back to us as entertainment in a nice, neat little package.

What bites my ass is that a lot of people are genuinely disturbed by this game when it's nothing but what's already presented in American society via different methods anywho.

It's just there are a lot of dipshits out there that have no clue how society works and moan at every opportunity.

That's a cop-out answer as people will complain regardless of their situation. But I digress, anyone who claims to understand society and particularly the the full effects of the media on said society is equally full of BS. Equally said for anyone who says the media has no effect on society in influence and thinking.

That's why "marketing" and "advertising" are very lucrative industries by themselves; let alone "propaganda", which, sadly, many people pin exclusively to governments alone.

Hey Yee, how do you feel about America's Army? Is that ok because the Army is using it as a recruiting tool?

Heh, violence caused as the result of striking the hammers of diplomacy is alright. Or so is sanctioned terrorism.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 18:47.

No subject
Apr 30, 2008, 17:57
No subject Apr 30, 2008, 17:57
Apr 30, 2008, 17:57

I'm not quite sure why people rather dismiss how much an effect piracy has on the overall decline of PC games sales, even regarding Crysis. It has to do some amount of damage simply if a person is downloading and playing the game illegally instead of actually purchasing it.

I still never bought the whole "I'll try it and then buy it if I like it?" Um...if it's anything other than a demo, why bother buying it if it's already in the possession of the person?

Apr 30, 2008, 17:52
Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 17:52
Apr 30, 2008, 17:52

Makes me feel like I'm contributing.

With this company, you essentially are. They're great with working with the community.

Apr 17, 2008, 17:22
Re: No subject Apr 17, 2008, 17:22
Apr 17, 2008, 17:22

I always say, "Money may not buy happiness, but it sure buys me a lot of things that make me happy."

That is a chunk of the core of Richard Easterlin's thesis, that what a person buys that makes them happy will eventually wear off and that person will need to purchase something else to regain the same or equivalent emotion.

The biggest problem I have with Easterlin's idea is that it assumes the Japan example is sufficient enough to represent a baseline standard for which a satisfaction can be measured for nearly any modern, industrialized country.

And this article isn't among the NYT's best, sure. If the author had cut out the paragraphs outlining the drama and politics of the Stevenson/Wolfer thesis versus Easterlin thesis, there really wouldn't much an article worth putting online!

Re: Hard Drive Space:
Apr 17, 2008, 17:03
Re: Hard Drive Space: Apr 17, 2008, 17:03
Apr 17, 2008, 17:03

Given what these games cost and given how long these large games take to install, I like to keep them installed so I will be more inclined to fully play them to get my money's worth out of them.

Are you still posing as a Steam-hater or are you finally past that?

[EDIT]

I really did have an honest question to ask, but for Riley, God knows he wouldn't answer it in all honesty.

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 17:04.

Re: Play Fallout People!
Apr 17, 2008, 16:58
Re: Play Fallout People! Apr 17, 2008, 16:58
Apr 17, 2008, 16:58

Or maybe I'm just getting old at 33 I thought everyone pretty much played Fallout...LOL!

I know 19-year-olds who have played it and enjoyed it. Considering the general lack of patience many kids have these days, seeing some who can actually play this game and enjoy it (let alone appreciate its overall value, artistically) is amazing.

Granted I have not played any of the Fallout games before, I understand how they fit into being PC Classics, and would love to have them all in one package.

Fallout's 1-2 were packaged together a number of years ago and sold for $10 at Walmart. As for Tactics...that's a mixed bag; it was worth playing through once, and really just for the story.

I'd love to see a DVD containing all three games, myself.

And they'd have to port those games to the 360 and PS3, which is basically impossible.

No, I don't know where you'd get that silly idea from. The PC CE edition of Quake IV contained Quake 2 as well as it's best expansion packs on the DVD. It's at the publisher's discretion how much they release and for what format (assuming there are no potential legal entanglements with Sony or Microsoft, given the veracity of online releases over Live and such, you never know).

pointless

Heh, welcome to a facet of consumerism.

But if like Jerryk says it's a weapon in the game then fair enough I guess, if it's meant to be display the dark humour that the original Fallout displayed then I guess I don't get it.

Yeah...that's more a Jerykk-esque trait you just encountered than anything you're not actually "getting", as far as humor goes. He's speaking in generalities (you'd think the guy would drop that trait after posting this long) again to merely have something to say than to actually make a point. The weapons in both games weren't that funny, they were highly detailed and utilitarian, but except for a few notable exceptions, the game's arsenal was NOT at the core of the series' dark humor.

I guess if a person's sense of humor was dull enough to think the weapons were *that* funny, then I'd wager a guess to say almost anything would set that person off into hilarious laughter.

I know about that the console maker (MS or sony) is taking a cut, but if piracy was such a huge problem for PC, at least the PC and console prices should be the same!

Which is a shame they're not the same price, honestly; the two being the same price in line with the usually-cheaper PC edition.

The FPS combat and simplified interface dont bother me as long as the humour and atmosphere is done right!

Even it was over-simplified (again, laughing in the face of Jerykk and other naysayers face - "simple" compared to what?), Bethesda stands a better chance at making the game as good as it should be than almost any other developer out there.

Re: ...
Apr 17, 2008, 16:33
Re: ... Apr 17, 2008, 16:33
Apr 17, 2008, 16:33

Is this game EVER going to be released?

Pft...patience. Considering the general staleness of EA's releases, them taking the time to let a game potentially be made well should be welcome.

Re: Freespace 3
Apr 12, 2008, 03:08
Re: Freespace 3 Apr 12, 2008, 03:08
Apr 12, 2008, 03:08

Ok Derek i re-read your posts again.
So we are essentialy in agreement then?

But he did contradict himself, and I read his posts three times. Don't fall back on this argument, if you feel your're right, more than likely you are in an argument with Derek Smart.

No subject
Apr 12, 2008, 03:05
No subject Apr 12, 2008, 03:05
Apr 12, 2008, 03:05

This is one aspect of McCain I really don't care for (and many of the proclaimed "conservatives" of the Republican Party as well): the inability to accurately quote and thus deride a political opponent.

Take this quote from this link, http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080412/ap_on_el_pr/obama_bitter_voters

Tucker Bounds, a spokesman for McCain, said Friday: "Only an elitist would say that people vote their values only out of frustration. ... You can't be more out of touch than that."

Ooh, no, that's not what Obama said at all. Here is the exact quote McCain was referring to:

"People don't vote on economic issues because they don't expect anybody is going to help them," Obama told a crowd at a Terre Haute, Ind., high school Friday evening. "So people end up voting on issues like guns and are they going to have the right to bear arms. They vote on issues like gay marriage. They take refuge in their faith and their community, and their family, and the things they can count on. But they don't believe they can count on Washington."

It's pretty clear Obama was referring to the core values people fall back upon (i.e. those values each person relies on regardless of whatever external values a government may preach). Even if a person's misguided belief in the Second Amendment is what they hold as a core value, then that is still held true to them, not necessarily those of a faltering congress or President who certainly doesn't hold the true interests of their country in mind.

Then again, calling John McCain an actual Republican is contradicting.

Re: Good on ya, MIT
Mar 25, 2008, 06:51
Re: Good on ya, MIT Mar 25, 2008, 06:51
Mar 25, 2008, 06:51

Gygax didn't even like the D&D system, according to an interview of his a few years back. Said it was too complicated.

Heh, I hope he was referring to 3.5 side of the house, not necessarily the D20 system.

3.5 books...you're an nincompoop if you didn't become proficient in quick arithmetic after playing D&D.

Air Force takes synthetic fuel supersonic as energy costs explode.

Pft. To the US government, dependencies on foreign fuel sources suck ass and strategic military planners have recognized that for years, even decades.

RIP Arthur C. Clarke, a true saint of sci-fi.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 07:00.

Re: BF: Bad Company
Mar 25, 2008, 06:06
Re: BF: Bad Company Mar 25, 2008, 06:06
Mar 25, 2008, 06:06

Um were you playing the same version of Oblivion I was Jerykk? As I had many a horse die.

I don't think any game Jerykk plays is quite like everybody else's....

Mar 25, 2008, 06:02
Re: No subject Mar 25, 2008, 06:02
Mar 25, 2008, 06:02

FPS games should be listed among the games you buy for the PC.

But not exclusively. There's no honest-to-God-reason why FPS's don't work on the console, lest you bring the PC-centric arguments of the mouse-and-keyboard; to which I say boohoo to an argument over mere control preference.

All the talk of Dying PC games is silly. Hasn't the witcher sold 1 million copies worldwide?

It's one of the few who have broken the million-copy-sold mark. Not many games receive those kinds of sales anymore, save what Blizzard and couple of others put out. I don't think PC gaming is dying so much as receding.

Also what about MMORPGs?

It's the genre that's making the most money right now, at least. If there were suddenly a renewed interest in single player games on the PC then there would most likely be more money thrown into developing games for it.

Would I want to play WoW on a console? With that lousy gamepad?

Why not? It's not as if WoW is that complicated of a game to play. What "lousy" gamepad are you referring to that couldn't handle the game?

Or not being able to customize my UI? I doubt it.

You really can't customize most UI's on most PC games, as it were, short of hacking them.

So yes, there may have been no game with as much depth as SS2 since its release...

Are you sure? That's a rather subjective opinion limited to a person's point of view and exposure. To say that simply ignores the last decade of PC game releases, honestly. I'm not sure how a person would measure how much depth a game has on any reliable scale, but I could rattle off quite a few games that I could see exceeding SS2 in that department. They're not all FPS's either, since you didn't limit the selection to just that genre.

...but does that mean PC gaming is in decline. NO!

Declines happen in different forms, 'bro. If you consider how many truly unique PC games with the depth and stature of Deus Ex, SS 1-2, Oblivion, etc etc, there just haven't been that many released for the PC in the last few years.

If you consider a decline in terms of sales, then yes, there is certainly an example of your decline there. Save Best Buy and a few select stores, PC games don't get the same shelf space they used to in years' past. That's just one reflection of the market, of course, but there's been reporting a pretty consistent slide in PC games sales for a few years now.

3907 Comments. 196 pages. Viewing page 16.
Newer [  1    11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26    196  ] Older