Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ

Real Name Russ   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Shineyguy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description YES I misspell my nickname intentionally!
Oh, and why are you wasting your time coming here to look at what I've written anyway?? Shoo! SHOO!!
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 28, 2005, 08:01
Total Comments 551 (Apprentice)
User ID 23706

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2016, 15:58 Shineyguy

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 11:56:
Wallshadows wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 11:33:
The current Pascal lineup lacks the same foresight which put the Maxwell lineup in the barn as far as async compute is concerned which leads me to believe the Pascal is nothing more than a stop-gap filler series for what should have been Volta which was pushed back due to AMD having priority to HBM2 modules.

Brace yourselves, a mountain of used Pascals are coming.

Complete bullshit.

AMD has no such thing as "priority to HBM2 modules". HBM2 is a JEDEC standard and anyone with the capabilities can manufacture and crank out as many HBM modules as they want. Yes, even you in your garage at home if you have the facilities and the materials.

Secondly, there are two large HBM manufacturers at this time. SK Hynix and Samsung. Samsung has actually been supplying nVidia (not AMD) with HBM2 for GP-100 (Tesla) for several months already.
The single reason HBM2 is not yet found in consumer products is that HBM2 is still expensive as fuck.

Thirdly, Pascal has been on the roadmap for a long time already. Just like Intel's tick/tock there has always been larger architectural shifts in GPUs as well as smaller steps where we just get a shrink plus some optimizations. Pascal is obviously the latter and was never advertised to be anything else. After 20nm had to be skipped, nVidia decided to make Pascal the 16nm shrink of 28nm Maxwell. It's a logical progression and not a "stop-gap filler series".

AMD has priority access to Hynix's HBM2. Since nVidia is sourcing their HBM2 from Samsung, this issue is moot.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: Hitboxes Jul 14, 2016, 09:28 Shineyguy

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 04:52:
rist3903 wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 01:01:
This is a pretty big nerf to Hanzo. His arrow hitboxes are what they were saying was too large so as to give him a higher chance to hit characters with his non-hitscan relatively slow gravity affected attack. Wonder if they plan to increase his projectile speed to compensate for what is otherwise going to make him pretty unplayable.

Dude, Hanzo players are currently way overpowered. There is no need to compensate, no need to nerf his damage. He won't become unplayable, he will require more skill to use properly which is as it should be.

Yeah, I always felt pretty god like when I played Hanzo... And saw all the bull shit times that I could clearly track the arrow missing me but still tagging me in the noggin.

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
21. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 12, 2016, 16:59 Shineyguy

Simon Says wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 16:39:
Well, I present raw data from multiple independent third parties, what do I get in return as arguments? Speculation, cherry picking and partially veiled Ad Hominem dismissals, so much for not choosing to act "confrontational" in a "us against them" manner, but I'll dismiss this thought, would be an appeal to hypocrisy and irrelevant anyway.

But you do are conveniently ignoring Computerbase.de's unbiased data and the fact that it is consistent with the data from the video analysis as well as Guru3d's data.

And yes, there are gains for 980TI 1070 and owners, I have acknowledged them earlier, the gains are shown in computerbase.de's article, but they're marginal. The fact is, Nvidia GPUs don't have ACEs, that's undisputed. The only gains they can get are from the driver/software based preempt hack. And the biggest gains are on slower CPUs. But in GPU limited scenarios the gains are either null or marginal.

That being said, neither of you has brought anything constructive to this discussion so far. So I guess it'll just end here as far as I'm concerned and I'll wait for further developments.

All in all tho, these are exciting times for PC gaming, and a lot of people are getting free X-mas presents right now so cheer up! Peace.

I saw pretty significant gains on my 2500K system (@ 4.5GHz). In the one area I test real quick I was averaging 60FPS at the lowest in one location. Switched to Vulkan in the same location and I then saw 100+ FPS at the lowest.

I run a 1080 completely maxed out at 1440P.

News Comments > DOOM Adds Vulkan Support
27. Re: DOOM Adds Vulkan Support Jul 12, 2016, 09:22 Shineyguy

Slick wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 22:09:
Lol no nvidia gains, why am I not surprised.

Big green dropping the ball so big nowadays. I was thinking I might buy a 1080ti, but now I think I'll just wait until they get their fucking shit together with real net-gen API tech.

Also interesting note, the RivaTuner Statistics Server doesn't seem to be able to hook into Vulkan properly. Works fine with OpenGL and DX obviously. I use it to cap framerates at the monitor's native refresh, very handy. hope they'll update it to work with Vulkan

I saw gains. In the area I was testing I was seeing around 60FPS with all settings maxed out except motion blur (never liked it). After Vulkan I am now seeing over 100FPS in the same area.

System specs are: i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz, 16gb DDR3-1600, 1080 @ 2050MHz core 4750 memory.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 MP Mod Halted
2. Re: Just Cause 3 MP Mod Halted Jul 11, 2016, 10:18 Shineyguy

There's still another mod in development. And we'll see if this guy is going to go work on an MP mode for JC4 anyway. Maybe they'll be bringing MP in house for JC3? Who knows?  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Beta Tease
13. Re: Battlefield 1 Beta Tease Jul 1, 2016, 21:42 Shineyguy

Bludd wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 17:59:
you can sign up to be an insider without pre-ordering, can't you? at least you could before

Yes, you can.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Beta Tease
2. Re: Battlefield 1 Beta Tease Jul 1, 2016, 11:49 Shineyguy

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 11:22:
Pre-order now and get early beta early access!

Don't care, I preordered the digital deluxe a while ago. Will play this game since I'm a sucker for Battlefield.

News Comments > The Orion Project Asset Theft Follow-up
1. Re: The Orion Project Asset Theft Follow-up Jun 30, 2016, 09:39 Shineyguy

So basically, it's always one of his "freelancers" that put stolen content into the game, never him.

Riiiiight. If your game has a history of ripping off other people's work, and you're the only common denominator then...

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
13. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 14:19 Shineyguy

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 13:55:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 13:43:
XFX is releasing an overclocked "Black" edition today. It has a custom back plate that is apparently better, but comes in at $270.

While true, it's less than a 10% overclock. Anything north of that and you're running in to power issues since it only draws from a 6-pin power connector. I never personally bought in to buying cards which have a higher price tag because they're slightly overclocked since I can do it myself in about 3 seconds. I'm not sure what the worth of that back plate on a reference card is either to be honest.

AIBs will solve power and heat issues but they might not be expected for weeks which I don't mind. I can play everything 'okay' on my 280 until then. They'll be more but if they come with DVI or two then that would offset the cost of having to otherwise buy DP to DVI adapters.

Rumor has it that the 1060 will be announced and/or released on the 9th of July so that could be interesting too if true.

If it's less than 10% that's already better than reference designs as all people seem to be getting there is an average of 3.5% OC.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 27, 2016, 14:11 Shineyguy

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 13:14:
So all your games are going to work on Windows 7 and 8 right Microsoft? The bullshit is strong with this one, and anyone who believes this BS is in for a surprise when they release the next best thing and and force you to upgrade in order to play the next best game.

For a short time Windows 10 is still a free upgrade. Not MS's fault if you don't want to take them up on that.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2016, 23:06 Shineyguy

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 16:12:
I bought a Nissan Altima in 2008 with a manual, it was tough to get. I think that might have been the last year they were available. I don't think there's a car now that costs less than $60k I'd care to own which comes with a manual.

Chevrolet SS

EDIT: Also, this is terrible. I like the ST movies, even though they're not REALLY ST. And I thought his performance in all of them was good.

Also, Fuck You SlimRam. That shit is not called for. At all.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2016, 11:38 Shineyguy

Blue wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 11:12:
Cutter wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 11:01:
Do you give the Gunnar-man a trick treatment each spring? You know the stuff you drop on the back of their neck?

He wears a prescription flea collar my vet swears by as being better than those drops. I'm not wild about an insecticide collar, but it seems preferable to infusing the dog's entire skin with insecticide. But maybe I just think to much about these things.

Our (standard) poodle wore a flea collar, worked well enough. Still found ticks all over that damn dog. He was a trooper though, always let us get at the ticks with rubbing alcohol and tweezers. Very patient dog.

My Dr. told me I had markers for Lyme, but don't have the disease. Said likely that I had contact with Lyme at some point, but I don't actually have lyme. Whatever that means. Gathered I probably picked it up in Georgia while I was down there for OSUT (basic + AIT). I do have achy joints quite a bit, but that also could be from my service in general.

Wife keeps badgering me about my hands being shaky a little bit, but it's only when flexing my hands; at rest there's no shake, and hands still do what I tell them to at all times.

I dunno.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 25, 2016, 14:11 Shineyguy

Either card would be a considerable upgrade for me on my GTX 780. I'm looking at getting a 1080 partner card when they start releasing.

Also, these benchmarks confirm what nVidia was saying about the GTX 1070 beating out a Titan X.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2016, 14:44 Shineyguy

DangerDog wrote on May 23, 2016, 14:17:
VaranDragon wrote on May 23, 2016, 14:00:
Im short(or near)-sighted. I wonder if I would need to wear glasses, considering the RIFT's screen is actually pretty close to one's face anyway?

only way to find out is to try one on, I'm near-sighted and can use google cardboard without glasses just fine.

Yeah, stuff gets blurry for me a couple inches from my eyes, I think I'd likely be OK with an HMD without my glasses on. Sadly none of my friends plan on having one any time soon, and I don't either for that matter.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2016, 10:34 Shineyguy

"After seeing what Jensen's team"....

I stopped reading after that. If they can't get the CEO's name of a company correct how can I trust anything else out of their mouth?

But yeah, basically all the same info we've had for a week now.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 18, 2016, 15:49 Shineyguy

Well damn, I noticed those weird areas in both of those first two locations. I'll need to start over and make sure I nab them.  

News Comments > DOOM Released
38. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 13:15 Shineyguy

ItBurn wrote on May 13, 2016, 11:26:
When you buy your games on these shady sites with huge discounts, you have to understand that you're shooting yourself in the foot. The developers get less money per sale and this affects the frequency and quality of games of that type. Vote with your wallet. Encourage the devs and games you like... I understand that these publishers aren't panhandlers and that you're not rich, but you're still affecting the game industry.

I did vote with my wallet. id Software's recent history (past couple games released) has been spotty. I haven't truly enjoyed one of their games since... Quake2?

News Comments > DOOM Released
13. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 11:19 Shineyguy

SpectralMeat wrote on May 13, 2016, 10:44:
Jagacademy wrote on May 13, 2016, 10:40:
Thinking about picking it up, but it's hard to justify $60 purchases when it seems like you can just wait a few months and pay half that.
It's $45 on GMG code: watch25

Game is good!

Paid $35 all said and done on G2A.com (i know not trusted, but these are coming direct from G2A from what I could tell, got my key instantly.)

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
13. Re: New GeForce Drivers May 3, 2016, 09:28 Shineyguy

To everybody that is having issues with the newest drivers, please do a full DDU (using the Display Driver Cleaner app) to remove all driver remnants from your PC and proceed with a truly clean driver install.

This may resolve the issue for most of you.

News Comments > CoD4 Remaster Poop
12. Re: CoD4 Remaster Poop Apr 29, 2016, 09:37 Shineyguy

Eh, I quite enjoyed World At War as well.  

551 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo