Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Don Smutny

Real Name Don Smutny   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ldonyo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 16, 2005, 21:56
Total Comments 1613 (Pro)
User ID 23662

User comment history
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Pachter Jul 31, 2009, 09:51 ldonyo

How many times does this clown have to be wrong before people stop publishing what he babbles?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: 11 Biggest Frauds in Gaming Jul 30, 2009, 16:25 ldonyo

I am in total agreement that Michael Pachter is the number one fraud in gaming. This guy makes Miss Cleo look like she really is psychic!  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 30, 2009, 16:13 ldonyo

Apple's iPad Tablet would only slay smartphones, eBooks and Netbooks if Apple prices it reasonably. However, since we're dealing with Apple, it will probably be priced like a Macbook Pro.  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2009, 16:01 ldonyo

I agree, delays that improve the game are good and there have been a number of titles in the last few years that would have been vastly improved had there been a delay of their release. I also agree that everyone trying to release for Christmas is just plain dumb. The recent announcements regarding titles that have been pushed into next year has been very welcome news to me.

Delays that are due to the publisher and/or developer trying to find funding to finish the game usually end up in a half-baked release of beta code that gets almost no support, doesn't sell well and usually ends the developer, the publisher or both.

News Comments > Minorities in Games
25. Re: Minorities in Games Jul 30, 2009, 15:53 ldonyo

Many countries have laws that forbid children being put into harms' way, which would explain a dearth of children in games not meant for them. Also, just how were the custom characters "randomly" created and by whom? Was it a white adult male, perhaps?

As to, "Our thoughts about why are all informed guesses.", I would have say that their thoughts as to why are very UNinformed guesses.

News Comments > Risen Specs
4. Re: Risen Specs Jul 30, 2009, 15:29 ldonyo

I'm looking forward to the game. I'm also happy to see that you do not need a supercomputer to run it.  

News Comments > Dark Salvation Now Available
15. Re: Dark Salvation Now Available Jul 28, 2009, 19:41 ldonyo

It looks pretty decent, all things considered. It kind of reminds me on Undying, but with a less-spooky atmosphere.  

News Comments > Metaverse
1. Re: Metaverse Jul 27, 2009, 14:37 ldonyo

There's a global slowdown in the economy and Amazon wants to blame entertainment media for its lower profit? Maybe they should look at their pricing versus the pricing of the stores they host or compete with and see where the lost sales went.

MySpace as a gaming platform? Maybe for the 14 or 15 people still on it, but not many others.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2009, 14:21 ldonyo

Most of the digital distributors of games put titles on sale every week. A little patience and you'll see your cost savings. Want physical media? Burn the download to a dvd and print a copy of any electronic manual.  

News Comments > Safety Dance
2. Re: Safety Dance Jul 26, 2009, 13:01 ldonyo

I just reinstalled AVG Free 8.5 to get rid of the security toolbar, as the security toolbar is not compatible with Firefox 3.5.x. It installed fine on XP Pro and has been working well in Vista and Windows 7.

I don't use iTunes, so I don't care if anything breaks it.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
1. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jul 26, 2009, 12:57 ldonyo

Since it appears that rhythm game saturation has yet to be reached, exercise game saturation is not even close.  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jul 25, 2009, 16:29 ldonyo

The author completely missed every game created before 1981, many of which influenced the games on his list in some fashion. Donkey Kong as the progenitor of telling a story in a game? Seriously? I'm guessing this guy wasn't even born until the 80s.

For example, Zork, while text based, directly influenced every point-and-click adventure game that ever followed. How? By giving the player a setting and some objects and letting the player try doing things with the objects, using them in the current setting to solve a puzzle or collecting them for later use.

Ultima III was NOT the first game to use D&D rules! The Temple of Apshai trilogy of games, which came out in the 70s on cassette tapes, allowed you to enter the stats of your favorite D&D character as an option to generating a character in the game. It used the original rules from D&D for combat and used most of the monsters from D&D, as well.

Wolfenstein came out before Doom, yet Doom is listed as the first FPS game. It's like this guy didn't bother to check any facts, he just wrote an article and called it a day.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Re: Legal Briefs Jul 25, 2009, 11:54 ldonyo

Short answer, it doesn't. The only reasonable way that a patent of that type could be enforced is if the source code were stolen and used by someone else. At that point it would stop being patent infringement and start being copyright infringement.

This is why software patents are a bad thing.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 24, 2009, 12:05 ldonyo

Yes, Windows 7 is good for gamers.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2009, 11:59 ldonyo

Since when did anyone give a rat's ass what Greenpeace thinks about anything? Even the guy that helped found Greenpeace won't have anything to do with them!  

News Comments > Torchlight Interview
2. Re: Torchlight Interview Jul 24, 2009, 11:57 ldonyo

I really hope they aren't using leveling as the basis of calling it some form of RPG. The world does not need another Diablo clone, no matter how pretty the graphics are.  

News Comments > Frozen Synapse Announced
1. Re: Frozen Synapse Announced Jul 24, 2009, 11:45 ldonyo

I'll give anything turn-based a chance.  

News Comments > Mouse of Steel
5. Re: Mouse of Steel Jul 24, 2009, 11:43 ldonyo

Why? What is the point of have a mouse so sensitive that you cannot control the cursor?  

News Comments > Safety Dance
4. Re: Car-surfing Jul 22, 2009, 14:59 ldonyo

If this "story" is what passes for journalism nowadays, I can see why newspapers are an endagered species. Doesn't anyone bother to check facts anymore? Has everyone gone to the "Fox news" school of journalism, where nothing gets in the way of a sensationalized story? This is just plain sad.  

News Comments > CA Game Law Appeal
4. Re: CA Game Law Appeal Jul 22, 2009, 14:30 ldonyo

Did they put money for this in the budget they just fixed? I'll bet not.  

1613 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 46.
< Newer [ 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo