Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Don Smutny

Real Name Don Smutny   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ldonyo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 16, 2005, 21:56
Total Comments 1794 (Pro)
User ID 23662

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York Next Week

9. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York Next Week Dec 2, 2019, 16:49 ldonyo

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 2, 2019, 16:43:
I never played the original.. would I be stupid to try it now?
Not at all! It's available on GOG for $9.99 right now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs

9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Nov 25, 2019, 10:20 ldonyo

[VG]Reagle wrote on Nov 24, 2019, 21:31:
I thought we nuked them twice now they do this?
That was Japan, not China. Also, the TPP was godawful garbage tryingto force other countries to adopt the bullshit IP laws in this country because the MPAA, RIAA, and ESA said it would be great for their executives and the shareholders of their members.

News Comments > More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans

1. Re: More on Amazon's Game Streaming Plans Nov 21, 2019, 10:54 ldonyo

It really won't matter who has a game streaming service until the broadband wasteland that is the USA sees an end to the nonsensical data caps and crappy service that we're current suffering with.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews

2. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 20, 2019, 12:38 ldonyo

Hit them with what, though?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 8, 2019, 12:51 ldonyo

Cutter wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 11:29:
There'd be no consoles either if you had focused on PC gaming too. Another place you dropped the ball.
There were consoles before there was a Microsoft, Cutter.

News Comments > Op Ed

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 11:40 ldonyo

Sounds like someone needs to stop doing every single side quest they come across. Or learn how to read all the words in blurbs devs make about their games so that he can realize that the "hundreds of hours" encompasses every single bit of content in a game, not the time it takes to play it through.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 11:51 ldonyo

Shorter holiday season? No retailer starts their holiday season on Black Friday in November anymore. Christmas crap has been out since mid-October at Walmart and the dollar stores and is out in full force almost everywhere now. How is that a shorter season?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 5, 2019, 11:09 ldonyo

If Marsha Blackburn is a sponsor, the bill is garbage.  

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 4, 2019, 11:07 ldonyo

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 11:01:
So was it unfounded fears over security or was it balance of trade related over money.
Or was it incessant lobbying over being noncompetitive and needing help to meet quarterly numbers?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2019, 13:41 ldonyo

You mean there's data Google isn't hoovering up already? Or do they just want more data to correlate with what they already have on you so they can charge advertisers more for better targeting?  

News Comments > Ubisoft Suing over Rainbow Six Siege Cheats

1. Re: Ubisoft Suing over Rainbow Six Siege Cheats Oct 24, 2019, 13:38 ldonyo

If these allegations are true, Ubi ought to hire this groups to handle cheat detection, since they seem to be much better at it than Ubi's devs.  

News Comments > Op Ed

7. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 12:51 ldonyo

Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 12:09:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 11:25:
Well, get a bigger SSD, they are pretty cheap these days?

Yeah but few people have their internet speeds go up to match...

I'm fortunate that AT&T has me on ~ 30Mbits, so this is still somewhat manageable, but there are plenty of people who are on way slower connections for whom a game of this magnitude simply just isn't feasible to download anymore. (On my old internet connection I was on ~ 3 years ago, the 150 GB download would have taken 19 straight DAYS 24/7 downloading. And that's then 19 days where everything else turns to slow dogshit because your pipe is swamped.)

I get that 4K textures eat up a gargantuan amount of space, but for those people who do not have 4K monitors, why do I have to download 90GB of textures I will not use? Why can't I forego the 4K textures, and then download them in the future if I ever want/need them? Oh wait, that would add two more hours of work for a guy to code that, clearly that's unacceptable. Rolleyes

Not only does it take extra time to download the extra unused textures, it puts an unnecessary hit on your data cap, should you have one. Cox, for example, has a 1TB cap across all their Internet access tiers. All those unused textures are going to eat that cap in far less than the month it needs to last, especially on a newly-released and multi-patched game.

When I had Cox at the beginning of this year, they were charging $10 per 50GB (or increment thereof) for going over your cap. You could opt to pay extra each month to get around this; $30 a month for an extra 500GB or $50 a month for unlimited data. This was on top of paying $90 a month and before taxes, fees, and other assorted charges. If you do a lot of streaming and gaming at your house, as we do at my house,you were going to pay for more data because you were going to go over the cap if you didn't. This is why I left Cox as soon as a viable alternative finally became available.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 25, 2019, 12:27 ldonyo

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 24, 2019, 20:28:
The right and snowflakes go together like french fries and ketchup.
Or Wonder bread and mayo.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2019, 12:59 ldonyo

I doubt that the connectivity issue is limited to just the few items mentioned in the article. If you don't want to read the whole thing, the TL;DR is to disable and then re-enable your wireless network adapter. Go figure.  

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 17, 2019, 12:22 ldonyo

I've always thought of Stallman as a bit of a prick, but this latest fiasco makes it clear that he is a raging asshole.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 5, 2019, 14:29 ldonyo

Why? To brainwash the next generation of young alcoholics into thinking their swill is really beer.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 21, 2019, 13:00 ldonyo

Funluvncriminl wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 08:09:
I heard ole Neil put her down.
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember.
A spotify man dont need him around anyhow.
Neil, and almost all the big record labels, still hasn't quite figured out how to use the Internet to grow the audience for his music. Given what he's done over the last ten years, he never will.

News Comments > Game Reviews

1. Re: Game Reviews Aug 21, 2019, 12:48 ldonyo

I played the beta of RAD. It might be fun for tweens, but I was unimpressed and a bit bored with it.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs

5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 12, 2019, 13:20 ldonyo

jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2019, 16:13:
He tried to prank the DMV. Then his vanity license plate backfired big time.

That's a nasty bug.
It's lazy programming. There's a huge difference between a string value of 'NULL' and an actual NULL value.

News Comments > Steam Zero-Day Exploit

10. Re: Steam Zero-Day Exploit Aug 8, 2019, 13:18 ldonyo

Scheherazade wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 09:55:
The reason for rejecting is not senseless.

The hack requires local configuration changes, presumably to be made by a complicit/malicious process already on the box.

If there is a malicious process already on the box, then this vulnerability is just another straw on a pile of hay.

I would have accepted it as a low pri, deferred till later, rather than rejected.

-scheherazade
Reread the article, this hack requires nothing of the sort.

1794 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >