Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Don Smutny

Real Name Don Smutny   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ldonyo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 16, 2005, 21:56
Total Comments 1783 (Pro)
User ID 23662

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 12:51 ldonyo

Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 12:09:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 11:25:
Well, get a bigger SSD, they are pretty cheap these days?

Yeah but few people have their internet speeds go up to match...

I'm fortunate that AT&T has me on ~ 30Mbits, so this is still somewhat manageable, but there are plenty of people who are on way slower connections for whom a game of this magnitude simply just isn't feasible to download anymore. (On my old internet connection I was on ~ 3 years ago, the 150 GB download would have taken 19 straight DAYS 24/7 downloading. And that's then 19 days where everything else turns to slow dogshit because your pipe is swamped.)

I get that 4K textures eat up a gargantuan amount of space, but for those people who do not have 4K monitors, why do I have to download 90GB of textures I will not use? Why can't I forego the 4K textures, and then download them in the future if I ever want/need them? Oh wait, that would add two more hours of work for a guy to code that, clearly that's unacceptable. Rolleyes

Not only does it take extra time to download the extra unused textures, it puts an unnecessary hit on your data cap, should you have one. Cox, for example, has a 1TB cap across all their Internet access tiers. All those unused textures are going to eat that cap in far less than the month it needs to last, especially on a newly-released and multi-patched game.

When I had Cox at the beginning of this year, they were charging $10 per 50GB (or increment thereof) for going over your cap. You could opt to pay extra each month to get around this; $30 a month for an extra 500GB or $50 a month for unlimited data. This was on top of paying $90 a month and before taxes, fees, and other assorted charges. If you do a lot of streaming and gaming at your house, as we do at my house,you were going to pay for more data because you were going to go over the cap if you didn't. This is why I left Cox as soon as a viable alternative finally became available.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 25, 2019, 12:27 ldonyo

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 24, 2019, 20:28:
The right and snowflakes go together like french fries and ketchup.
Or Wonder bread and mayo.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2019, 12:59 ldonyo

I doubt that the connectivity issue is limited to just the few items mentioned in the article. If you don't want to read the whole thing, the TL;DR is to disable and then re-enable your wireless network adapter. Go figure.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 17, 2019, 12:22 ldonyo

I've always thought of Stallman as a bit of a prick, but this latest fiasco makes it clear that he is a raging asshole.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 5, 2019, 14:29 ldonyo

Why? To brainwash the next generation of young alcoholics into thinking their swill is really beer.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 21, 2019, 13:00 ldonyo

Funluvncriminl wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 08:09:
I heard ole Neil put her down.
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember.
A spotify man dont need him around anyhow.
Neil, and almost all the big record labels, still hasn't quite figured out how to use the Internet to grow the audience for his music. Given what he's done over the last ten years, he never will.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Aug 21, 2019, 12:48 ldonyo

I played the beta of RAD. It might be fun for tweens, but I was unimpressed and a bit bored with it.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 12, 2019, 13:20 ldonyo

jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2019, 16:13:
He tried to prank the DMV. Then his vanity license plate backfired big time.

That's a nasty bug.
It's lazy programming. There's a huge difference between a string value of 'NULL' and an actual NULL value.

News Comments > Steam Zero-Day Exploit
10. Re: Steam Zero-Day Exploit Aug 8, 2019, 13:18 ldonyo

Scheherazade wrote on Aug 8, 2019, 09:55:
The reason for rejecting is not senseless.

The hack requires local configuration changes, presumably to be made by a complicit/malicious process already on the box.

If there is a malicious process already on the box, then this vulnerability is just another straw on a pile of hay.

I would have accepted it as a low pri, deferred till later, rather than rejected.

-scheherazade
Reread the article, this hack requires nothing of the sort.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Aug 5, 2019, 11:22 ldonyo

Bitterbug wrote on Aug 4, 2019, 13:27:
Gaming addiction IS a real thing. Just like alcohol addiction, gambling addiction, sex addiction, etc.

Anything that provides you with a dopamine hit has the potential to be addictive, primarily for a small segment of the population.

The thing is that games changed how they make money, and that was by targeting the psychological processes of addiction. Vulnerable users become their 'whales'.

You don't hear about someone being unhealthily addicted to The Witcher, Dark Souls, or Mario Kart because they're not specifically designed to hook vulnerable users. They're made to be fun.

The object of the obsession is just that, an object of an obsession. You don't treat the specific obsession, you treat the obsessive behavior. That's why claiming all these things are separate "addictions" is ridiculous. You're treating a symptom, not the underlying problem.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 2, 2019, 15:28 ldonyo

Creston wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 10:27:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 21:34:
Why isn't the American public doing something about this guy? As a Canadian reading this it's obvious he's in big corporations pockets

Because the retardery of the agencies like the FCC is that these assholes are NOT VOTED INTO OFFICE. They just get appointed. So there's literally fuck-all the American public can do against it.
Legally, you forgot to put "legally" in front of "do about it".

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 2, 2019, 15:16 ldonyo

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 14:26:
I'm for this. It's not Amazon directly, but the Neighborhood part of Ring is very nice. I can instantly upload any camera info to it and it's a great alert system. And with 911 info especially where I live, it would be nice to have.
I'm sure the 200+ law enforcement agencies that will be using your (and every other Ring users') Ring video to keep tabs on everyone's comings and goings appreciate your willing participation in the surveillance state.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2019, 16:21 ldonyo

I love UHF, even saw it in the theater twice when it came out. The author of this piece, however, may have seen it once, if at all.

The fact that the blurb under the title of this article claims Al takes over a "cable access station" tells me the author has no idea what the title of the movie stands for. The fact that he thinks Channel 8 was run by a "cable baron" tells me he isn't as old as this movie and wouldn't know how to connect an antenna to a TV.

Also, George's uncle didn't give him the station, as the author seems to think. Rather, he allowed George to run it. Drinking from the fire hose was the prize for finding the marble in the oatmeal, a far cry from "for no reason at all", as the author claims. It's like someone told him about the movie, he then looked up an entry for it on Wikipedia, and turned in this article five minutes before his deadline.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 29, 2019, 18:20 ldonyo

I prefer a bit of heft to my mouse, so I wouldn't be interested in a dirt-magnet honeycomb mouse at all.

Blockchain is not the answer for 99% of database users, despite what this author would have you think. The article reads like a bad infomercial trying desperately to sell you on blockchain as the panacea to all your database woes.

Overclocking a $700 video card seems pretty pointless, especially if you'll have to buy your own replacement if you fry it.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 26, 2019, 13:18 ldonyo

You can save even more by not getting a Galaxy Note 10.  

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 18, 2019, 13:16 ldonyo

I would not be surprised to find out all those faces are going into national facial recognition databases, especially the ones that aren't supposed to exist.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 16, 2019, 12:46 ldonyo

Won't Facebook's new service break Facebook?  

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 11, 2019, 14:58 ldonyo

It should be pretty predictable. If you use your personal account as your official government communications account, you are subject to the laws that govern public official's social media accounts. If you use separate accounts, one for official business and one for personal stuff, your personal account should not be subject to those laws. The only part that is truly unpredictable is which way the judges installed by the Mango Monkeybutt will rule, since most of them are pretty random in their cluelessness.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2019, 14:51 ldonyo

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 13:14:
How much money is Fuxcon getting/cost the taxpayers for this scam again?
That's on Scott Walker, former Governor and architect of this corporate giveaway.

News Comments > Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month
9. Re: Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month Jul 11, 2019, 14:48 ldonyo

Bill Borre wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 12:25:
I don't think they would've lost in court. It doesn't seem much of an infringement to me. Just Iron Maiden's lawyers being dicks.
Iron Maiden has mobile game, which has been out for several years now. I wouldn't be so sure of a lack of infringement, were I them. The desired free publicity was probably the end goal, anyway.

1783 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo