Limit Results:

552 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    28  ] Older

Re: Randoms
Feb 27, 2024, 00:44
Re: Randoms Feb 27, 2024, 00:44
Feb 27, 2024, 00:44

budrojr wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 22:36:
I have played thus far exclusively with randoms and have yet to run across a single instance where i was griefed. I think some people are greatly over exaggerating this issue. Assholes are always gonna asshole, and there is literally no incentive to griefing. They're not just hurting you, they're hurting their own xp and money by lowering the overall reward at the end of the mission. Why invest 20 to 30 mins into a game only to shoot yourself in the foot on the reward at the very end? If people don't want you on their team you've probably proven to not be ready to play at the level they play at, are dumb, an asshole, or they just want a slot open specifically for a friend. If you're having a bad time with certain people, just block them and move on to one of the other 5 million people currently playing the game. Bitching about your bad experiences (incorrectly, I observe) is not a good look.

Yeah, that's like expecting griefing to not exist in any multiplayer game ever. Griefing for the sake of griefing has existed forever since the start of multiplayer gaming and for those of us who have actually played the game on here, we seem to have experienced very little griefing in our random public games. It'd be like telling people not to ever play World of Warcraft, Everquest, Counter-Strike, Quake 1/2, TF2 or Unreal Tournament because people can and have found ways to grief others in those multiplayer games before.

I know that kick/griefing exists in Helldivers 2, but I'm pretty sure that it's a minority and rare outlier. As budrojr has mentioned, it makes absolutely NO sense why people would want to kick people at the end since it actually punishes everyone with less XP and/or resources. If it ever becomes a big issue, I'm sure that Arrowhead Studios will swoop in to make Kicking vote-based rather than host-based. They seem pretty quick about implementing much needed features (such as idle-kicking).

Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers?
Feb 26, 2024, 17:04
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 17:04
Feb 26, 2024, 17:04

Teddy wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 16:04:
RogueSix wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 13:15:

From less than five minutes of browsing the Steam forums:

- Kicking Issues #1
- Kicking Issues #2
- Kicking Issues #3
- Don't play if you have no friends
- Kicking Issues #4
- Kicking Issues #5
- Friendly Fire Griefing
- Randoms are just ***** weird
- Kicking Issues #6
- Kicking Issues #7
- The game is full of cheaters
- Is griefing the new trend?
- Kicking Issues #8
- Kicking Issues #9
- Kicking Issues #10

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. The game is obviously a complete cesspit in case you do not have friends and/or a coop group. It is a total nightmare for randoms (which I would be). Also, we haven't even started on the amount of posts with complaints about server/connection issues, crashes, gamebreaking bugs in the missions/progression area, balancing issues, yada, yada, yada...

Sincerely yours,

Donald J. T.

And here's the part where I point out there are >16,000 posts on that forum and you cited <0.1% of them. Clearly it must be a problem EVERYONE is having. So again, you're overreacting and spewing nonsense based on something a tiny fraction of the community has experienced. Don't want to play the game? Then don't, but blatantly lying about things in the hopes of stopping anyone else who might have actually enjoyed the game from trying it? No, I'll go ahead and call you out on that every time you spew this kind of sensationalist garbage.

Yeah he clearly has no idea what he's talking about. And boiling down EVERYONE's experience to a few posts on the Steam forums (which is laughable itself given how much of a constantly misinformed cesspool the Steam forums usually are) is absolutely ridiculous.

I have 59 hours of Helldivers 2 so far, playing both with friends and pubbies and I have yet to experience a single case of anyone kicking me at the end of a match for Samples (which is the correct term). In fact, it makes absolutely NO sense why anyone would do this in the first place since Samples are party-wide shared when anyone picks them up. The only single time I've ever been kicked was on the ship prior to the match starting and I can attribute that to the host wanting a spot open for their friend (which they could have easily done if they made the session "Friends Only").

As for future content, there is actually a lot that the devs could add from Helldivers 1 (which they seem to be hinting at). They've already had a sneak peak video of the incoming Mech stratagem and there was a ton of weapons, packs and vehicles from HD1 that they could add. They also have an entirely new enemy faction from HD1 that they could add in a surprise big patch once players liberate more outer-rim planets (and there's even an easter egg mentioning that faction in one of the in-game ship broadcasts). Now that they've stabilized the servers, the CEO said that they can start working on the new content that they had in their plans from the beginning.

Re: Issues & Activism
Jan 31, 2024, 02:50
Re: Issues & Activism Jan 31, 2024, 02:50
Jan 31, 2024, 02:50

From what I've gathered, it's less about "Batman" dying and more about "Kevin Conroy's Arkham-games Batman" dying this way. And due to his real-life death, this is essentially the last game that we'll ever get of his version of Batman, so fans are pissed off at how his character's legacy ended.

Re: Palworld Sells 1M in Eight Hours
Jan 20, 2024, 02:31
Re: Palworld Sells 1M in Eight Hours Jan 20, 2024, 02:31
Jan 20, 2024, 02:31

I would think that Palworld also appeals to Pokemon fans who are thinking that this is kind of the perfect Pokemon-type game that they've always wanted and wished for (basically an open-world, co-op, Pokemon, survival game).

Re: Rumor Mill
Aug 22, 2023, 19:09
Re: Rumor Mill Aug 22, 2023, 19:09
Aug 22, 2023, 19:09

jdreyer wrote on Aug 22, 2023, 14:50:
YT link already whacked, but there are reuploads here and here.

Thanks. Confirms my guesses that Starfield would essentially be Fallout 4 in space with an Everspace/Freelancer-lite mini-game attached on top of it and the planetary transitions would essentially be a cutscene/loading screen.

Re: Starfield Gold - Preloads This Month
Aug 17, 2023, 11:26
Re: Starfield Gold - Preloads This Month Aug 17, 2023, 11:26
Aug 17, 2023, 11:26

Desalus wrote on Aug 17, 2023, 00:19:
Razumen wrote on Aug 16, 2023, 20:10:

They haven't shown it because it's going to be filled with loading screens: there is no actual flying to planet surfaces, and when when you're loaded in on a planet, you can't fly around it either. I can imagine flying to different systems will be the same deal: just more loading screens to hide the fact the engine they're using is completely unsuited for a space game.

That's what I'm afraid of. I imagine many are thinking it's going to be something in-between No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous, so there's going to be a lot of disappointed people.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking will happen as well. You know that one of the first mods out there will be a mod to remove the "loading screens" of your ship launching/landing (to decrease load times) and I think that's going to reveal the warts of this aging and unsuitable Gamebryo Engine (I know it's called the Creation Engine now but let's not kid ourselves).

I did pre-order the game because I will enjoy Starfield for a month or so (and especially it's modding scene), but based on the footage that I've seen, I kind of have a guess on what we'll end up getting - a Fallout 4 in space filled with mostly empty, barren worlds and a simplistic Everspace-lite mini-game added on top of it when you're traveling to planets through loading screens.

It'll also be VERY interesting to see the feedback for Starfield once it's released now that Baldur's Gate 3 came out and showed off how in-depth quests, characters and choices-and-consequences can be in an RPG. Aside from a small handful of quests in Oblivion, Bethesda hasn't exactly been enthralling me with their quest plotlines or characters IMO.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2023, 11:36.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Mar 29, 2023, 19:56
Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 29, 2023, 19:56
Mar 29, 2023, 19:56

Kajetan wrote on Mar 29, 2023, 17:08:
FloodAnxiety wrote on Mar 29, 2023, 14:55:
Re: Elon Musk among experts urging a halt to AI training.

There is a segment of society that doesn't want an educated, intelligent, and informed population. They see an AI model that makes intelligence dirt cheap and easily accessible as a tool people will use to educated themselves, and this segment is afraid of losing control over the people they manipulate. They will use fear to try and get people to go against their own interests, just as they already do today.
AI will NOT help making people more independent. AI will mostly serve the laziness of people. Its a simple tool, not the salvation.
Agreed. Some students are already using ChatGPT to generate essays on any subject and it's difficult for teachers/professors to check if they're valid or not. AI will just encourage people to become lazier and more reliant on it to provide the easy answers and to do everything for them.

Re: Quoteworthy
Mar 23, 2023, 02:30
Re: Quoteworthy Mar 23, 2023, 02:30
Mar 23, 2023, 02:30

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 22, 2023, 07:29:
JTW wrote on Mar 22, 2023, 01:03:
I still think of Diablo as a single player game (in which you can occasionally team up.) Balance between classes in that context doesn't really matter all that much. It's not a game I go into to compete against random strangers to prove I'm 'better' than them.

Same here. That said, I do find it annoying when melee is significantly worse than ranged/magic, as it apparently is at low levels in Diablo 4, even for just me playing multiple characters. I didn't play the pre-order beta/EA (haven't bought it yet) but I'll try to get in to the open beta in a few days. "Decently Balanced" is what ARPGs should aim for, just avoid the major discrepancies of some classes and skills being complete shit, etc.

If I can connect at all this weekend, I'll try to play a Barb up to level 20 plus, partly to get the backpack, partly just to see if the melee whining on various forums is overrated or not.

Apparently this only applies to the Barbarian. A Rogue specced into melee (Twisting Blade specifically) is currently a LOT stronger than a ranged Rogue. It'll be interesting to see how the Druid works out since I've heard that we can play that class in the next beta.

Re: Rimworld Biotech Released
Oct 23, 2022, 05:09
Re: Rimworld Biotech Released Oct 23, 2022, 05:09
Oct 23, 2022, 05:09

One mod that some of you might be really interested in is the Multiplayer Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2606448745) which allows you to play Co-op Rimworld with friends who also have the game (and/or DLCs). It's very well done and works seamlessly via Steam.

Another nice one (that also can work together with the Multiplayer Mod) is the Character Editor Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1874644848) which allows you to create/save/modify your starting Colonists. My friends and I often use these two mods together to create ourselves and play the game together in Co-op. It's an absolute blast and voice-coms is an added plus (although the Multiplayer Mod adds text chat). Due to our varied backgrounds and skillsets, usually certain friends are designated as the go-to person for certain things such as farming, cooking, dealing with pets and taming, doctoring, using guns, etc.

I can't honestly play Rimworld without some form of a Multiplayer or co-op mod from now on since it's made an already amazing game that much more fun by allowing me to play it with friends.

Re: Sunday Metaverse
Sep 6, 2022, 01:01
Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 6, 2022, 01:01
Sep 6, 2022, 01:01

Cenotaph wrote on Sep 5, 2022, 22:17:
Of course a lot of reviews are legitimate, Amazon is just salty they're watching their 1 billion dollar investment go up in flames
"Amazon founder Jeff Bezos has subsequently revealed the series snared 25 million viewers on its first day – the biggest premiere in Amazon’s 15-year history."
https://www.darkhorizons.com/rings-of-power-has-amazons-biggest-launch/

Uh huh...

Re: Rumor Mill
Jul 24, 2022, 20:52
Re: Rumor Mill Jul 24, 2022, 20:52
Jul 24, 2022, 20:52

Fortnite should add a Last of Us "Bashed-in-skull" Joel skin just to trigger people

Re: No Man's Sky ENDURANCE Released
Jul 20, 2022, 16:19
Re: No Man's Sky ENDURANCE Released Jul 20, 2022, 16:19
Jul 20, 2022, 16:19

I wonder if you can actually DO anything with your updated and shiny Freighter though? The last time I played NMS, Freighters were a huge letdown and essentially static mini-bases that you could summon and that's it. You couldn't fly them, do missions with them or anything of actual substance (which is one of my general gripes with the game). The space stuff for NMS in general seems like huge wasted potential and I don't know if that has to do with limitations of their engine or just due to a lack of vision.

Re: OotB: Feeling cool
Jul 18, 2022, 20:04
Re: OotB: Feeling cool Jul 18, 2022, 20:04
Jul 18, 2022, 20:04

Armengar wrote on Jul 18, 2022, 14:05:
yeah, eternals was poor but there have been a few other poor movies too. I wasnt a fan of dr strange multiverse either.

I made the huge mistake of watching Dr. Strange 2 after watching Everything Everywhere All at Once.
THAT is how you properly do a Multiverse movie that has meaning and heart combined with great action scenes.

Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Underway
Jul 9, 2022, 17:06
Re: Star Citizen Free-Fly Underway Jul 9, 2022, 17:06
Jul 9, 2022, 17:06

Hump wrote on Jul 9, 2022, 16:54:
Frankly I wouldn't even know where to start. I'd imagine half my weekend taken up by keyboard control assignments alone.

I would truly like to try the thing out but the fucking 2 day limit makes it just not worth it.

The controls aren't too hard to memorize since SC goes one step further and most ships have buttons that you can interact with in the cockpit (via holding down the F key).
This youtube video does a thorough job listing the important keys and things to do to get started though: https://youtu.be/Ewh3Qu2CWAY

Re: GWENT: Rogue Mage Released
Jul 7, 2022, 21:12
Re: GWENT: Rogue Mage Released Jul 7, 2022, 21:12
Jul 7, 2022, 21:12

Beamer wrote on Jul 7, 2022, 15:36:
Saboth wrote on Jul 7, 2022, 15:33:
GinRummy wrote on Jul 7, 2022, 13:11:
Gwent, by far the very worst part of the Witcher 3 game. I just don't understand the demand.
I'm not that big on card battling type games, but I actually enjoyed riding around challenging people in towns for their cards and building up my deck.

Same. But I found the standalone mobile Gwent game far less fun and far more crammed with gibberish that took away from the basic game.

Ditto. Gwent in Witcher 3 was addictive as hell for me. The standalone version - less so.

Re: Midday Multiplex
Jul 7, 2022, 02:29
Re: Midday Multiplex Jul 7, 2022, 02:29
Jul 7, 2022, 02:29

Nullity wrote on Jul 6, 2022, 13:01:
The Half Elf wrote on Jul 6, 2022, 00:28:
Give it a shot, ya got nothing to lose.
Yeah I do, my ship(s) and all my loot.

Thank you for the write up. Setting aside all the stigma associated with this game and being objective, that honestly sounds like a lot of fun. However, the PvP aspect just isn't for me. I'll never play any game where you can lose your stuff/progress like that.

If and when the game actually gets a full release, and if there are PvE only servers, then I may give it a try.

While you can lose your gear, if no other player loots your corpse, you can come back to loot everything off of it. But TBH, personal gear isn't ultra important unless you're doing a specific mission that requires a gun (aka. hunting down a target that's in a cave or station) or getting a Tiger Claw device and sneaking onto a station to clear your Bounty.

As for ships, yes players can "steal" your ship but it's just temporary and you can go to any station or base planet and reclaim your lost ship for a small fee. Same if you die or if your ship gets blown up. The only time that you can permanently lose your ship is if you use in-game funds to buy a ship and there's a patch that's going to wipe everything (like the upcoming one). If that does happen, then people who've spent Real Money™ get whatever ships that they've bought on the website. Non-Whales will have to do the usual grinding stuff (varied PvE missions, Mining, PvP Bounty Hunting, Events etc.) to get enough credits to buy back their ship(s). Server wipes are usually rare and last resorts that CIG does when an incoming patch adds something fundamental that requires players to start anew or if there's database corruption (aka. the upcoming patch) that requires a fix.

In a way it's a good thing since grinding missions, mining and doing events is basically the current content of the game and buying all the ships that you want really doesn't give you much incentive aside from griefing, PVPing or goofing around with friends.

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 6, 2022, 00:28:
Give it a shot, ya got nothing to lose.
Yeah although there are numerous bugs in Star Citizen and it seems like there will be no end to the feature-creep, the game's scope and tech is impressive as hell. It's a very unique experience when you can literally run around a space station in first-person, go out of its airlock and leap off into Zero-G and float/propulse yourself in any direction in space towards a distant ship and either get inside of it if it's friendly or use a Multi-Tool to unweld the ship's door to ambush the pilot.

Or being able to fly any ship into a planet or moon's atmosphere and do unscripted stuff like driving a tank out of a Carrack ship's cargo doors and have it launch down to the ground once gravity kicks in is a great experience. I think that the Jump Town event shows off this aspect well since it's primarily PvP/PvE-based and a lot of unexpected stuff usually happens due to it based off of the player's creativity. This video shows what that event is all about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNALKEp8e60

The fact that it's all seamless is something gamers won't really appreciate until they experience it and then play games like No man Sky or the upcoming Starfield and see how limited that aspect is (based off of the things that I've read).

Re: Dragon's Dogma II Announced
Jun 18, 2022, 02:55
Re: Dragon's Dogma II Announced Jun 18, 2022, 02:55
Jun 18, 2022, 02:55

Yesssssss!

Re: Games, Movies, and TV
May 25, 2022, 19:45
Re: Games, Movies, and TV May 25, 2022, 19:45
May 25, 2022, 19:45

Aside from that very (very) annoying teenage girl, the Halo show wasn't half bad. Then again, I didn't think that the Halo games were all that fantastic when it came to the plotlines and the characters seemed pretty generic so I was never beholden to them or thought that those games were a high standard for storytelling.

Re: Play Star Citizen for Free
May 20, 2022, 18:38
Re: Play Star Citizen for Free May 20, 2022, 18:38
May 20, 2022, 18:38

Satoru wrote on May 20, 2022, 18:20:
Burrito of Peace wrote on May 20, 2022, 14:08:
They need to play Independence War 2. It has the best Newtonian flight model I have ever experienced while still being fun and approachable. You can either toggle full Newtonian flight or automatic RCS control which would give it a more "arcade" feel for those that want it.

They can't do that because this is 'supposedly' and MMO or whatever Chris has decided to call this train wreck. You can't have one set of people be on 'arcade' while the other half are in 'mega space sim mode'. Everyone has to be on the same flight model. The problem is Chris can't actually decide if he's making Wing Commander, trying ot redo Privateer, or trying to make EVE Online. He makes his team make all these different modes that all clash with eachother. He can't even get a single player version of SQ42 out the door because of the idiotic insistence of 'everything being on teh same code base' despite the fact that they have no 'code base' to start off of because Chris keeps changing his mind about what ever the hell they're making this week.

Star Citizen has a "quasi-newtonian" toggle called Decoupled Mode where your ship's inertia and momentum will continue until you thrust in the opposite direction to slow down and it allows players to do advanced combat/flight tricks. By default the game has IFCS (Intelligent Flight Control System) enabled which makes it more arcadey.

It also allows some pretty funky and impressive stunt flying in certain planets/moons with their varying atmosphere: https://youtu.be/1r7OSXSreF4

Re: Steam Top 10
Apr 26, 2022, 01:22
Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 26, 2022, 01:22
Apr 26, 2022, 01:22

Kxmode wrote on Apr 25, 2022, 17:04:
chickenboo wrote on Apr 25, 2022, 14:01:
I've been enjoying Elden Ring as a newcomer to the Dark Souls franchise of games, but it's slowly beginning to lose its lustre. I think for me it's missing one critical element: charm. There's a lack of charm in the game world. Their endless approach to GrimDark aesthetic is commendable: I love the gothic ruined castles; I loved the cinematic during the Godrick the Grafted boss fight; the commitment to twisted, spooky monsters even if it's a giant crab or shrimp or even a shrimp-man (I find crustaceans revolting, so leaning into that as a horror enemy is brilliant); the voice acting is very very good, almost on-par with Hades.
And yet there's nowhere really to rest besides grace points, the utterly boring table place, or the modded-in pause menu. There's no comedy relief, no NPCs I actually want to learn MORE about (compared to say Diablo 2's Deckard Cain or the Act 2 palace guy or the Zakarum lady in Act 3), no personalities that are interesting (see Witcher 3 which is consistent in its war-ravaged tone yet has NPCs who express heart even in brief interactions).
Despite this so far Elden Ring is probably my GOTY but like, I don't really want it to be? It does what it does very well, and that's about it. I won't really be raving about it for much other than the aesthetic and the vertical progression.
Alan Moore described it best as "a one-dimensional character is where it's either a hero or a villain. It's a goodie or a baddie. You don't need to know anything about them other than that. They don't have to have motivations. They're just a good guy or a bad guy. All of the bad guy's schemes, they can be explained by the fact that he's a bad guy." In the case of your comment, the entire world of Elden Ring is one-dimensional with no diverse biomes of emotion. It's rather strange, given that George R.R. Martin wrote the story. He's known for crafting three-dimensional characters and environments.

That is actually not true in Elden Ring's case. Many of the characters tend to be Gray rather than Black or White when it comes to their motivations. Some are friendlier than others in their initial dialog but once you complete their questlines or delve further into their end goals or dig into items related to them, they can be revealed to be extremely greedy, selfish or self-serving in a, "fuck everything and everyone else, I will get my way at the end" sort of way (a certain four-armed character comes to mind). And a lot of the characters might be initially evil but you end up finding out that they're this way due to the endless suffering and torment that they've endured or that they're ultimately "created" to act a certain way without them having a choice.

There's a surprising amount of depth to some of the Dark Souls and Elden Ring characters but a lot of times, you have to dig really deep to find the clues for their real motivations beyond their surface dialog. That's why the wikis and communities/youtube videos are so lengthy when it comes to the origins and backstories of various NPCs and characters in all of these series. It's easy to initially think "Weird NPC says cryptic, weird thing and is either good or evil" but in most cases, it's much more than that.
552 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    28  ] Older