Descending
Limit Results:

451 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    23  ] Older

Re: Valheim Passes 500K Concurrent Players
Feb 23, 2021, 05:40
Re: Valheim Passes 500K Concurrent Players Feb 23, 2021, 05:40
Feb 23, 2021, 05:40

Initially I didn't get the hype for Valheim when my friends were asking me to join them on their servers but eventually things just clicked and I find that it has a very explorative, almost skyrim-like quality to it with co-op added to it. It takes a lot of annoying parts of survival games and makes it a lot more accessible and focuses primarily on co-oping and exploring with friends. Instead of worrying about being attacked by griefing players when you're offline, now you defend your base from NPC enemies while trying to expand it and explore this large world by land or sea and craft better gear, unlocking better settlement options and fighting gigantic enemy bosses.

I spent most of tonight with one friend and my simple, "Hey, we need some more Core Wood for our settlement" comment ended up being a long, grand adventure where we were shuffling along one ratty, wooden resource cart and literally forging a path deeper into a black forest by flattening the forest ground (so the cart wouldn't take damage from bumps and rocks), breaking apart boulders, chopping down trees in our way, building shoddy temporary shelters (to repair gear, cook raw meat, hide from thunder storms) and protecting the cart from enemy creatures and monsters. Along the way, we stumbled across and slayed a giant troll, built a ramshackle giant wooden bridge to cross a big river and hunt local wildlife when we ran out of food. I also had to defend the cart from seemingly endless hordes of monsters when my friend accidentally (and hilariously) died by having a tree fall on her and she had to run all the way back to me.

All to get one specific type of crappy wood resource for our settlement. And I had an absolute blast.

There's also dungeon exploring, riding on a longship with a full crew of friends to explore uncharted areas (which is always a fun experience), epic boss fights, as well as working together (or separately) to build up a settlement. I'm sure the devs will add more but at the moment there's a ton of content to find within this early access title.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2021, 05:54.

Re: Wheeled Warriors: Ultimate Destruction Announced
Feb 21, 2021, 04:06
Re: Wheeled Warriors: Ultimate Destruction Announced Feb 21, 2021, 04:06
Feb 21, 2021, 04:06

Laughing Man wrote on Feb 20, 2021, 17:54:
Saboth wrote on Feb 20, 2021, 15:41:
Aw, was hoping for Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.

Re: GeForce Hotfix Driver Version 461.33
Jan 22, 2021, 16:39
Re: GeForce Hotfix Driver Version 461.33 Jan 22, 2021, 16:39
Jan 22, 2021, 16:39

MeanJim wrote on Jan 22, 2021, 03:35:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 21, 2021, 21:28:
I don’t envy your troubleshooting.
I’m sure you’ve already thought of all the stuff , I’m just going to free associate.
If windows is leaving any crash logs you could investigate those and also check if Windows Reliability Monitor has anything useful. Run the built in Blue Screen Troubleshooter.

Scour and post in the GPU manufacturers forum, Same for your mb, Reddit etc.

If there is another slot you can stick the card in try that.
Good Luck and keep us informed if you find the fix. Fingerscrossed

Yeah, this is the most frustrating thing I think I have ever had to troubleshoot. It only seems to do it when I let it sleep overnight. A few times I thought I'd fixed it when I put it to sleep for a few minutes and it resumed fine, only to have it crash the next day. Whatever I try, I won't know if it's worked until the next day, or to be sure, a few days because a couple of times it did resume fine.

The message on the BSOD is Video Scheduler Internal Error. I've analyzed the dmp files, and the same file is at fault every time, dxgmms2.dll.

I'm not sure if it's something with the drivers and I just need to wait. I did find one post on the EVGA forums of people having BSOD on resume. Some people said they fixed it by closing MSI Afterburner or other similar programs, but I'm not running any of that. I just took it out of the box and plugged it in. One reply mentioned nvidia acknowledged a problem causing BSOD on waking from sleep (no source though). That post was from November. There was something in the last driver update about fixing a BSOD when using sleep with multiple monitors, but I'm only running one monitor.

I used to have the same issue with my EVGA 3080 and although I'm not 100% sure, I do think that a firmware update for that GPU fixed my "BSOD when coming back from Sleep or Hibernation" issue (either that or updating to newer nVidia drivers). I can't find a standalone section of EVGA's website to download GPU firmware (which seems like an odd omission to have) but I do know that their PrecisionX1 OC software automatically does that. You can download it and see if there is any available firmware for your GPU (mine had 2-3 firmware updates since it was released): https://www.evga.com/precisionx1/

Re: Ubisoft Making Open World Star Wars Game
Jan 13, 2021, 17:04
Re: Ubisoft Making Open World Star Wars Game Jan 13, 2021, 17:04
Jan 13, 2021, 17:04

Given that it's being developed by Massive Entertainment, I would say that it's less Star Creed and more like Star Division. Oh man. Imagine a Division-like third-person shooter but with jet-packing Mandalorians...

This is the way.

Re: Free Cyberpunk 2077 DLC Nears
Dec 31, 2020, 18:19
Re: Free Cyberpunk 2077 DLC Nears Dec 31, 2020, 18:19
Dec 31, 2020, 18:19

The Flying Penguin wrote on Dec 31, 2020, 16:32:
Seriously, shouldn't they be fixing the bugs before they offer a DLC?

Supposedly a big bug and performance-optimization patch is coming out in January.

This free DLC thing is probably similar to those small free DLCs that they had for Witcher 3. I would not expect this to be big in scope at all and probably either a small outfit DLC or weapons DLC. I'd hope that it's more of a QoL DLC such as a transmog system or something to that effect.

Re: Epic Games Launcher Causing Temperature Spikes
Dec 26, 2020, 17:17
Re: Epic Games Launcher Causing Temperature Spikes Dec 26, 2020, 17:17
Dec 26, 2020, 17:17

Tencent says hi.

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Has Sold 13M Copies
Dec 23, 2020, 03:39
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Has Sold 13M Copies Dec 23, 2020, 03:39
Dec 23, 2020, 03:39

[Edit: Redundant post]

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2020, 04:04.

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Already Profitable
Dec 12, 2020, 22:45
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Already Profitable Dec 12, 2020, 22:45
Dec 12, 2020, 22:45

Quinn wrote on Dec 12, 2020, 21:06:
Either way, my rig never let me down yet on high graphical settings and now it suddenly buckles. I don't think the game looks that great either. Just alright. This game needs a DLSS card. It makes all the difference, I've read.

It depends. Cyberpunk 2077's DLSS implementation (even at Quality setting and all of the film grain/chromatic aberration/motion blur post processing effects crap off) gives a slight but noticeable blur to all of the textures. Without DLSS, the textures are sharper and crisper (even with CP2077's wonkily forced TAA). This is especially noticeable when you have a conversation "cutscene" where a character gets right in V's face and you notice how detailed the textures can really be with DLSS off.

The thing is, just like RTX effects in general, you don't really notice it until you compare it being on and off. Then it just stands out and it stays in your head. People scoff at RTX effects but when you play with RTX reflections/shadows/lighting on for a day and turn it off the next day, you'll just notice how flat and plain the game world looks with all of those effects being off.

That's kind of the problem though. RTX + DLSS allows the game to run a lot better, but the tradeoff is that you'll lose some detail in the textures due to it. Most people will gladly accept the DLSS blurriness (which isn't too bad to be fair) but Death Stranding has shown that DLSS 2.0 can provide both a big performance gain as well as crisp textures. For me, I'm debating on sticking with DLSS being off and RTX Reflections being on. It's probably the best I can do for now until CDPR adds in more performance optimizations and hopefully a retweaking of DLSS 2.0 as well. I'm lucky enough to have the hardware to brute force the game to turn off DLSS for the better textures as well as being able to turn on a noticeable RTX effect with an average of around 75-90+ FPS. Hopefully the upcoming performance patch(s) will allow me to turn on more RTX stuff so I don't have to compromise.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2020, 04:03.

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Already Profitable
Dec 12, 2020, 17:07
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Already Profitable Dec 12, 2020, 17:07
Dec 12, 2020, 17:07

More people are going to need to also post their CPU as well as their GPU specs when they talk about Cyberpunk 2077's performance. As important as the GPU is when it comes to the game, Cyberpunk 2077 is HEAVILY CPU bound and could be the main reason why someone's performance might be a lot better than another who has the same type of videocard. Based off of what some of my developer friends have said, it's most likely due to shoddy coding and if this reddit post about a simple AMD CPU oversight is actually true (going to test out the "fix") this might be a hint of this being the case: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kbp0np/cyberpunk_2077_seems_to_ignore_smt_and_mostly/gfjf1vo/

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Launches
Dec 10, 2020, 04:33
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Launches Dec 10, 2020, 04:33
Dec 10, 2020, 04:33

Performance is decent on my AMD Ryzen 5800X/GTX 3080. With all of the Ray-tracing options on and DLSS set to Balanced, I can get around 90-120 FPS depending on what I'm looking at. According to some people, the game is quite CPU-bound and that most graphical settings don't really provide drastic gains in performance.

Ultimately I'm happy enough with my performance since I was expecting the absolute worst due to the early reviews. I did hear that there was going to be another patch incoming for performance stuff so hopefully that makes it a lot better for people who don't have the latest (and hard to get) hardware.

Re: AMD 6900 XT Reviews
Dec 8, 2020, 15:29
Re: AMD 6900 XT Reviews Dec 8, 2020, 15:29
Dec 8, 2020, 15:29

This seems like a huge lost opportunity for AMD given how scarce the stock is for Nvidia's RTX 30xx brand of GPUs. Given how competitive AMD's RX 6xxx cards are (aside from Ray Tracing performance), I'm sure that gamers would have been happy to switch to Team Red this time around. AMD would have made a killing I would think.

Although this is a moot point if there's no stock available for AMD as well and scalper bots are hoarding the pithy amounts that do show up. Inquisitive

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Reviews
Dec 8, 2020, 04:23
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Reviews Dec 8, 2020, 04:23
Dec 8, 2020, 04:23

My friends and I were talking about the various reviews out and how wildly divisive some of them are (aside from the bugs - that's unanimous).

One interesting bit of information that was mentioned in some reviews was that the main quest-line was heavily influenced by the various side-quests and relationships that you've built up in the game. If you rushed through the main quest (like some reviewers seem to - ie. Gamespot) it doesn't take that long to actually beat and that you only have access to 3 or so endings. But some reviewers spent time doing side-quests and said this hugely expanded on the various options, length of the main quest and offered up several possible endings available to the player. It seems like some reviewers were trying to be the first to get their reviews out and in doing so, missed out on a big chunk of options available in the main quest-line.

IMO, it sounds great that side quests are actually important and can affect the main quest rather than just being filler to give the player more money, exp and loot. But I wonder if this might bite CDPR in early reviews due to how so many people simply want to be "First!" when it comes to beating games and posting youtube/message board reviews based on that lesser experience.

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Launch Schedule
Dec 7, 2020, 16:21
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Launch Schedule Dec 7, 2020, 16:21
Dec 7, 2020, 16:21

Nullity wrote on Dec 7, 2020, 09:36:
VaranDragon wrote on Dec 7, 2020, 03:38:
For those of you who pre-ordered is there some kind of preload available? I read today that the game is getting a 50Gb release day patch....so no surprise there.
Preloading started this morning on GoG (can't speak for Steam). Mine is downloading right now!

Yup, pre-loads should be available for the GOG, EGS and Steam versions now. Kind of surprised that it's at 57'ish gigs. With all of the hype and development time, I was sort of expecting it to at least hit the 75+ GB mark.

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Launch Party
Dec 4, 2020, 19:12
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Launch Party Dec 4, 2020, 19:12
Dec 4, 2020, 19:12

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 4, 2020, 13:35:
Im gonna enjoy the hell out of Cyberpunk I think. Still not gonna preorder. But if the reviews and worth of mouth from you guys at Bluesnews is good, Ill be getting it soon after release. The 3090 I just bought is gonna make playing it glorious

Jeez, I envy your willpower. I pretty much recently bought top-end hardware just for Cyberpunk 2077 (needed an upgrade for future games anyway). Even if the game doesn't end up as good as it's hyped up to be, it seems like that CP2077 would be the perfect game to test out your 3090.

Re: GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Release Tomorrow, Reviews Today
Dec 4, 2020, 15:37
Re: GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Release Tomorrow, Reviews Today Dec 4, 2020, 15:37
Dec 4, 2020, 15:37

Acleacius wrote on Dec 4, 2020, 13:10:
OpticNerve wrote on Dec 4, 2020, 01:39:
It doesn't help at all that scalpers have circumvented many vendors and that few have even attempted to protect themselves from botting. The few who have tried (EVGA and Newegg) have only done so after bots have swooped in and bought out all of their initial stock (and still do - bots are constantly being updated and circumventing protections). Even Nvidia gave up trying to sell their RTX 30xx Founders Edition themselves and schlepped it off to Best Buys (of all places) to sell and to deal with the mess.

I'm sure more stock is incoming since both Nvidia and AMD are practically making a fortune off of this mass demand (with old Intel being left out) but it really does suck for people who wanted new hardware and/or consoles to enjoy at the end of a disastrous year.
Exactly, I had no idea how wide spread it was but this can't be anything but bots and their buddies. Hiring people to signup and buy, receive and then send it to master control.
Otherwise it would be too easy to exclude PO boxes and check shipping duplicate addresses.

Yeah, I was lucky in that I got a 3080 off of EVGA's queue signup, but I know that a bunch of my gaming friends on Discord have resorted to going into Discord channels with 24/7 bots to alert them when a vendor has Nvidia/AMD/PS5s/XBSXs in stock for them to hopefully grab up this holiday. Apparently there's a LOT of people in those channels that just flood a site whenever a bot alerts them. It's no wonder that it's near impossible for people to grab anything now when you have literally thousands of people constantly hammering sites. And sadly, a bunch of them are probably scalpers since it's guaranteed 2x+ money due to the insane demand and the lining up of coincidences (bored gamers in isolation due to Covid, new competitive GPUs, an amazing new CPU line, a new generation of consoles and an upcoming hyped game to test out this new hardware, etc.). All in lined up for this holiday season.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2020, 15:47.

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Launch Party
Dec 4, 2020, 03:55
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Launch Party Dec 4, 2020, 03:55
Dec 4, 2020, 03:55

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 4, 2020, 02:39:
Incoming Netflix Live Action Cyberpunk2077 series in 3....2....1....

Seriously, I can't remember when hype has been this high for an upcoming single player game. From what I've seen of the gameplay, worldbuilding etc. it might even be justified. I guess no game lives up to the hype not really, but compared to stinkers like Bioware's Anthem for example, this game might actually come close.

They previously announced a Netflix Cyberpunk 2077 anime, so... close!

Dec 4, 2020, 01:39
Re: GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Release Tomorrow, Reviews Today Dec 4, 2020, 01:39
Dec 4, 2020, 01:39

Acleacius wrote on Dec 3, 2020, 17:58:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 3, 2020, 14:01:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 2, 2020, 17:59:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 2, 2020, 11:24:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 1, 2020, 20:05:
As everyone has mentioned, it's more powerful than last generations top card 2080ti, iirc. At $400 it's also half the price of the 2080ti at release.
I don't see how anyone could consider this less valuable than $300, so the debate is over $100. It's a card in hand atm, if you've got access to buy these
mysterious and unknown 3090 and 3080 cards please share their vendor link. Not to mention buying this now, gives something until prices and supplies settle
down on the top tier cards 2021. Nor do I want to wait for ATI to develop and add in their own RT which could take another 6 months.
So it looks like all that's worth $50 buck, if not the $100 at least imo.

This post seems to imply that you think the 6800 cards will be more accessible than the 3000 series cards...
but it seems like we'll have the same problems getting these as the others.
I'd buy any of these cards at retail list price if I could... but I can't.
Been the same story for multiple generations now.
Guess I wasn't clear, or I misunderstand. The only thing I mentioned about ATI was their RT software was reported to be coming later.
My possibly over dramatic estimate was 6 months to get something like that running and stable. Otherwise, I've got no idea.
The lack of the one feature I wanted, kept me from following ATI, except casually.
It's just my casual opinion but RT looks like it adds another level depth. I.e. At least to me, if I'm running at 1440p with RTX, it feels like 8k instead of 1440p.
They still haven't called me but I didn't register until yesterday.

Was talking about this part:
It's a card in hand atm, if you've got access to buy these
mysterious and unknown 3090 and 3080 cards please share their vendor link. Not to mention buying this now
Seemed like you were implying that one benefit was that you could get them but couldn't get the 3000 series cards... and my point was that you can't get the AMD cards either right now. Same issue.

edit: Ahh I see now, you're simply talking about the 3060ti... I swear I thought you were replying to a thread talking about AMDs lineup.
But still... is the 3060ti not going to also be sold out? I bet it is.
Yeah, I meant the 3060ti and yeah it probably is sold out too cause I still haven't received an email.
I haven't tried to buy at release for about 20 years, so I was all thumbs about jumping in the fray. I usually let them cool down in price but got stuck this time.
I kept putting off for this 2nd gen RTX. Now it's starting to look like both companies might have screwed their releases worst in their respective histories, at the same.

Guess there is still time for ATI to pull it out but NVIDIA looks to be a lost cause this year. Honestly this really all seems like catastrophic effects of the global pandemic.
The thing I really do like about what ATI did was using so much memory, but I just don't want to wait 6 more months for a software version of RT.
Of course it will probably take 6 months for both of these companies to dig themselves out of this mess.

It doesn't help at all that scalpers have circumvented many vendors and that few have even attempted to protect themselves from botting. The few who have tried (EVGA and Newegg) have only done so after bots have swooped in and bought out all of their initial stock (and still do - bots are constantly being updated and circumventing protections). Even Nvidia gave up trying to sell their RTX 30xx Founders Edition themselves and schlepped it off to Best Buys (of all places) to sell and to deal with the mess.

I'm sure more stock is incoming since both Nvidia and AMD are practically making a fortune off of this mass demand (with old Intel being left out) but it really does suck for people who wanted new hardware and/or consoles to enjoy at the end of a disastrous year.

Dec 1, 2020, 22:10
Re: GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Release Tomorrow, Reviews Today Dec 1, 2020, 22:10
Dec 1, 2020, 22:10

Pepe wrote on Dec 1, 2020, 20:10:
OpticNerve wrote on Dec 1, 2020, 18:40:
If their monitor is a native 1080p/2k/4k/8k as well as if it supports 60/144/240/360Hz high refresh-rates, etc.

1080p=2k no idea why people keep refering to 1440p as 2k

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Display resolutions
2K resolution is a generic term for display devices or content having horizontal resolution of approximately 2,000 pixels.[1] In the movie projection industry, Digital Cinema Initiatives is the dominant standard for 2K output and defines 2K resolution as 2048 × 1080.[2][3]

In television and consumer media, 1920 × 1080 is the most common 2K resolution, but this is normally referred to as 1080p.

Yeah, had a brain-fart. I meant 1440p rather than 2k

Dec 1, 2020, 18:40
Re: GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Release Tomorrow, Reviews Today Dec 1, 2020, 18:40
Dec 1, 2020, 18:40

Bumpy wrote on Dec 1, 2020, 18:15:
If you're a serious gamer, 3080 would be minimum.

I would not recommend a new card for $400 that performs like the best card 2 generations ago.

There's so many factors involved when it comes to GPU recommendations for people (a lot of that involving what monitor they have). If their monitor is a native 1080p/2k/4k/8k as well as if it supports 60/144/240/360Hz high refresh-rates, etc.

The 3080/6800xt is definitely what one would aim for if they have a high refresh-rate monitor that supports higher resolutions. This is also brand divisive if they want decent RT performance or if that doesn't matter and they want to save a few bucks (Nvidia/AMD).

Re: Morning Consolidation
Nov 25, 2020, 04:59
Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 25, 2020, 04:59
Nov 25, 2020, 04:59

Beamer wrote on Nov 24, 2020, 16:33:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 24, 2020, 15:49:
IVIX1 wrote on Nov 24, 2020, 14:00:
The "Next Generation" moniker is a source of endless amusement to me. But then i talk to my console friends, and they literally think their hardware is state of the art relative to PC tech because its "next generation" as they've been told, and I have to inside a little bit.

It's so next-gen people can't tell apart whether they play a PS4 or PS5 version of a game....

That happens with launch titles every time around.

But the quick loading these consoles can do is nothing to sneeze at, and far beyond what PCs can take advantage of.

Yeah, most of the hardware for the next-gen consoles isn't anything special compared to top-end PCs except for the quick-access SSD tech that they have. That is going to be something that PC hardware is going to play catch-up with.
451 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    23  ] Older