Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for RobH

Real Name RobH   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname OpticNerve
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 12, 2005, 22:12
Total Comments 357 (Amateur)
User ID 23638

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2019, 20:45 OpticNerve

afka Rossini wrote on May 19, 2019, 17:44:
Simon Says wrote on May 19, 2019, 17:12:
Not holding my breath...

Predictions:

Dany's gonna die, probably assassinated by Bronn, hired by Tyrion so he can finally get his castle. Jon's not gonna want the throne, but it's gonna be pushed on him anyway, he may refuse it categorically, plunging Westeros in turmoil, or Tyrion's gonna get on the throne, he may also be eaten by Drogon, "eat the help" you know.

It's the logical ending if Chekov's gun applies. But... seeing as they did a crap job with Chekov's gun since they left the books material behind, I doubt these predictions are going to be accurate.

Predictions:
Sansa, with or without Tyrion, ends up on the throne.
Daenerys dead by Jon's hand.
Jon heads north to join the Wildlings.
Drogon does whatever he wants.

My predictions are similar but slightly different:
- Sansa will end up on the Iron Throne. She has the good-heartedness (and loyalty of the North) by being a Stark and her past experiences with Cersi, Littlefinger and Ramsay have hardened her to not be as naive and dumb as Ned and Jon. She'll be the perfect ruler.

- Jon will be killed by Dany.

- Dany will be killed by Arya.

- Due to Hound's last advice to Arya, I think she will give up a life of violence and up marrying Gendry. This fullfills Robert and Ned's wishes of combining both of their houses.

- Tyrian will be Sansa's Hand (maybe even marry her? This might work out well since all three houses are now intertwined).

- Tormund will fullfill his destiny and truly fuck a bear.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2019, 13:47 OpticNerve

Initially I scoffed at the Pattinson choice but who knows. People were very skeptical of Heath Ledger as Joker before the movie came out and look at how that turned out.  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive
32. Re: Ghost Recon Breakpoint an Epic Games Store Exclusive May 10, 2019, 15:06 OpticNerve

Ultimately, I don't think that this matters much in the end. AFAIK, when you buy a recent'ish Ubisoft game from Steam and launch it from there, it'll also launch a modified version of the UPlay client just to run the game. BUT since the game is forever tied to Steam, it will ALSO launch Steam if you try to run the game just from the UPlay client alone.

I don't see Ubisoft changing this for EGS so regardless of if you buy an Ubisoft game from Steam or EGS, you're just adding another needless client that has to be run just to play an Ubisoft game that needs the UPlay client anyway.

Unless the game has a deep discount from that platform, just buy the damn game from UPlay and save yourself some headaches.

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. May 6, 2019, 17:22 OpticNerve

Kxmode wrote on May 6, 2019, 17:00:
OpticNerve wrote on May 6, 2019, 15:14:
El Pit wrote on May 6, 2019, 14:08:
Borderlands 3 GOTY on Steam for $9.99 in 2022 - and then I will pull the trigger.

Given the shit that Randy has been saying about Steam on Twitter (and how much he's been slobbering EGS's knob), I'm not entirely sure it'll ever be on Steam. It seems like he's intent on burning that bridge.

He should remember something about gamers.

They never forget.
They never forgive.

They will hold him to whatever scorched earth campaign he's on.

I'm more curious if Valve will hold a grudge or not. I doubt it and I think that they'll be professional about it (hey, money is money at the end of the day) but it would be funny if Valve told Randy to fuck off with Borderlands 3.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. May 6, 2019, 15:14 OpticNerve

El Pit wrote on May 6, 2019, 14:08:
Borderlands 3 GOTY on Steam for $9.99 in 2022 - and then I will pull the trigger.

Given the shit that Randy has been saying about Steam on Twitter (and how much he's been slobbering EGS's knob), I'm not entirely sure it'll ever be on Steam. It seems like he's intent on burning that bridge.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Gameplay Reveal
3. Re: Borderlands 3 Gameplay Reveal May 1, 2019, 16:16 OpticNerve

Yeah that was pretty underwhelming and I'm not noticing a lot of new gameplay elements from the previous games. The Borderland games have always been pretty fun in co-op (just to run through the story with friends) but they've never really been games that I've been feverishly anticipating like so many people seem to be.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
20. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 27, 2019, 13:57 OpticNerve

I'm starting to think that people need to learn that if they're gonna quote Cutter around here and don't want their replies to be removed, they should probably just play it safe and go:

Cutter wrote:
Angsty textual diarrhea.
<Insert reply here>

News Comments > Casey Hudson on Fixing BioWare's Culture
14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 5, 2019, 04:00 OpticNerve

Kind of seems like he/they/EA are missing the point of the article. He and that Bioware blog reply seemed really focused on thinking that the article was there to publicly shame higher-up individuals rather than shaming the fucked up culture and nonsensical management style incorporated by Bioware as a whole.

I guess we'll see if he does change things for the better when the reviews for Dragon Age 4 arrive and personal employee experiences get revealed afterwards.

News Comments > What Happened with Anthem?
39. Re: What Happened with Anthem? Apr 3, 2019, 14:50 OpticNerve

Ugh. Bioware's (let's not kid ourselves, this is from EA) PR response to the article makes it clear that they didn't even read the damn thing and did a quick damage-control response without learning a single damn thing from it. Nothing at Bioware or EA is going to change: http://blog.bioware.com/2019/04/02/anthem-game-development/

I've spoken to several current and former BioWare employees since my article went live today, including some I hadn't interviewed earlier. General consensus has been sadness and disappointment at BioWare's statement, which read as disheartening to those who hoped for change.
- From Jason Schreier's Twitter page

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Announced
12. Re: Borderlands 3 Announced Mar 28, 2019, 18:23 OpticNerve

I know that I'm in the minority, but that was pretty underwhelming for me. It looked more of the same but it didn't seem like they added any new gameplay elements at all whatsoever. Probably the same over-hyped bazillion guns (which are most likely the slight and minor, boring variations of each other), the same gameplay element of having just one single skill for each character, and probably the same shitty drop-rates for exotics.

Hell, I'm willing to bet that they have yet to implement an instanced loot system that's been wanted ever since the first Borderlands. I guess we'll find out more as details for Borderlands 3 gets revealed but given Gearbox's track record, I doubt that they'd actually listen to feedback and implemented changes that the community wants.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Mar 25, 2019, 17:01 OpticNerve

Perk/skill choices in Division 2 only really matter early on when you're leveling and you're limited in Skill/SHD points.

A friend in our Div 2 co-op group just bought the game and he picked one of the worst skills available right from the start (the Firefly skill that blinds enemies). I can understand why he picked it because it sounded like it'd be tactically useful skill in our co-op group but he quickly found out that compared to the more useful skill options such as the turret, repair chem launcher, seeker mines or repair drone, the firefly is annoying to use and blinding enemies at low/mid levels is pointless. He quickly picked a different skill to replace it once we did a few missions with him. Now if he were soloing, I can imagine him trying to solo with this Firefly skill and I could see him being easily frustrated by his choice while leveling up.

This also applies to the perks system where certain perks will allow you to level up quicker and gain more resources or materials early on compared to someone who wasted SHD points early into the loadout perks or whatever.

I much prefer Div 2's type of system where the early choices do make an impact on how you level up but eventually you'll gain enough points to grab all the remaining perks and skills to experiment with your build. Ultimately the perks system isn't a big issue since a lot of it doesn't make a dramatic difference at the end. It never defines your build at all (unlike what the article author seems to imply). The build-defining stuff is more defined by your two skill choices, your weapon loadout and your gear.

News Comments > Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Reviews
24. Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Reviews Mar 22, 2019, 05:23 OpticNerve

I suppose some people just want easy-mode or the game to play itself these days.

"A game that requires patience, awareness and wants me to learn the fighting styles of each enemy? *Gaaaasp* Fuck that shit! That's too much work in my old age!"

News Comments > The Division 2 Released
10. Re: The Division 2 Released Mar 15, 2019, 13:49 OpticNerve

BTW, different factions have different and modified AI from each other. The Hyenas are fairly stupid and tend to rush you (they are just gang-bangers after all). The True Sons tend to use a bit more advanced tactics (due to their military background) and will try to flush you out of cover with grenades or even try to keep you in cover while another flanks you.

And oh man, don't get me started on fighting the [spoiler] Black Tusk faction or [spoiler] The Hunters with all of their tactics and toys. Naturally the AI will do stupid shit once in a while but I'd say that Div 2's AI is a lot more varied and advanced than games of this genre.

News Comments > The Division 2 Exclusive to Uplay and Epic Games Store After Next Week
3. Re: The Division 2 Exclusive to Uplay and Epic Games Store After Next Week Mar 8, 2019, 23:39 OpticNerve

Rhett wrote on Mar 8, 2019, 21:21:
Something like that, I have no idea what this is supposed to be... I guess this is a definitive "nowhere else" post? I bought my key at Green Man Gaming, so I assume they won't be sold there afterwards?

Edit: I just saw this was from GamesPlanet, not Ubisoft directly. Still weird... Did Epic throw money at Ubisoft or something? Jesus.

I'm starting to think that Epic's doing that. It just doesn't make sense that Ubisoft would leave Steam for Epic otherwise (lower dev cut percentage or not - Steam's just too popular).

[Edit: Derp - this is about 3rd party key sellers. This is definitely going to be a problem for people who like to grab deals off of sites such as GMG. Huh.]

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2019, 03:26.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Mar 4, 2019, 15:10 OpticNerve

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 11:52:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 4, 2019, 11:43:
How long till EA pulls the plug on BioWare to appease investors?

Will Anthem ever get the patches it needs to be a fun game?

You think the full team will stay on Anthem, developing the live service? The skeleton crew will be 10 people at best and those 10 people will not be the best and brightest. And you think they can fix what 300 developers couldn't do in 6 years? Pretty sure Anthem and Bioware are both dead, they just don't know it yet.

Who knows. It could happen. Diablo 3 made a decent comeback and became a pretty fun game with Loot 2.0 (even though its skill system was flawed right from the start). The same went for Division 1 in regards to adding interesting loot and actually balancing things pretty well with the 1.8 patch after it's awful start.

What Bioware/EA needs to do though is to follow Blizzard and replace the lead designer of Anthem with someone who actually knows their shit. What's funny is that the lead designer of Diablo 3x's Loot 2.0 system (Travis Day) gave advice on what Anthem needs to do with their loot system to make it interesting and now Bioware is starting to implement his advice with the recent patches. Bioware just needs to get rid of their version of Jay Wilson since it's clear that their lead designer doesn't know what they're doing.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Mar 3, 2019, 13:36 OpticNerve

El Pit wrote on Mar 3, 2019, 08:27:
EDIT: I just checked the price of The Division 2... There is no season pass available (not even with the "ultimate" edition), just a one-year-pass... And it's a price like this would be an Apple product? WTF?! Sorry, Ubi. I am very interested in this game but not willing to be turned into an Apple customer or a Star Citizen whale. You can keep your game.

AFAIK, Ubisoft's actually being pretty cool about the whole one-year pass thing since they want all owners to have the same important content. Owners of the basic version of The Division 2 will get almost all of the Year One pass content, but they'll get it 1 week later after the Year One people. (Free DLC Content)

What the Year One pass owners will get is a 3-day head-start of Division 2, a 7-day early access of the free 3 DLC Episodes that expand the plotline, 8 classified assignments (basically backstory/lore stuff outside of the main plotline), instant unlocks of the 3 new class specializations that will be added, one extra weekly bounty and project (big whoop) and a few cosmetic crap. (Year 1 Pass)

Basic Division 2 owners will get the 3 DLC Episodes as well as the 3 class Specializations (but they'll have to unlock it somehow). The only thing they'll miss out on are the 8 classified assignments but I'm willing to bet they'll just be filler stuff and nothing really meaty in content.

News Comments > Anthem Loot Changes
20. Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 19:27 OpticNerve

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2019, 18:08:
Flatline wrote on Feb 28, 2019, 14:10:
Borderlands 2 basically has the best shooter loot system. Period.

Ooooh... Yeah... I'm gonna have to... sort of, disagree with you on that.

The drop rate was good

No, the drop rate in Borderlands 2 was fucking GARBAGE. NOTHING dropped in Borderlands 2. You could farm that dragon at the end fifty times in a row and not have it drop a single fucking useful thing.

the drops were interesting

Well, they COULD be, if they ever dropped. But they never did. And Borderlands 2 had the most awesome legendary weapons. Just truly laugh out loud weaponry, totally awesome build-changing weaponry, monstrously OP weaponry. It was fantastic.

None of it ever fucking dropped. The drop rate was so MMO-like that they put that stupid chest in town so that people could at least get level-appropriate weapons SOME way, and not be fucking stuck with shit weapons where it took you 40 seconds to kill a single mook.

It was so bad that they eventually changed it, after three years of people bitching about it.

the escalation of weaponry as you leveled up was tasty

Are we talking about the same Borderlands 2 here? BL2 had the exact same problem as Anthem. It was the same weapon dropping over and over, just with a few extra % damage on it. Are you not confusing it with the original Borderlands? The first BL was awesome, because it had the x1 to x4 modifier for elemental damage, which made some guns just crazy fun. When I played that the first time, it dropped a X3 Acid SMG for me at like level 8 (when Acid was the God-element), and I proceeded to roflcopter through the next 15 hours just watching everything melt into puddles. And there truly WERE billions of different guns in BL1, as opposed to BL2, where it was like 12 guns just with tiny variations in stats.

and the rare guns were interesting, the relic guns were all fascinating.

That I totally agree with. They had AWESOME guns. They just never dropped (I mean, WHY? Why make all these amazing guns IF THEY NEVER DROP.) Fortunately some enterprising genius found a way to modify the drop rates with cheat engine, and with that running, the game was fantastic.

But vanilla BL2 had the same fucking "Let's just drop the same eight guns over and over for the next 30 levels" bullshit as Anthem does (albeit less terrible, since at least it didn't have dead modifiers, which is just about ALL you get out of Anthem.)

If Destiny 2 had the kind of loot system that BL2 has, it'd probably be my favorite FPS ever. I don't know why loot & shoot devs don't realize this.

Agreed. People hated (justifiably) Diablo 3's loot, until loot 2.0, which literally SHOWERS you with loot.

GIVE YOUR PLAYERS FUN LOOT IN A FUCKING LOOT SHOOTER, YOU IMBECILES.

Yeah I'm with you on that. The Borderlands loot drops were pretty awful, samey and the drop rates were even worse. I don't know why people are looking back at it so fondly.

IMO, even with all of it's gameplay faults, Diablo 3's 2.0 loot system was the best loot system by far. It was constantly rewarding you with useful loot and Set gear as well as Legendaries that could completely change the playstyle of your class. And even better, you could tweak and reroll certain stats and affixes so that a great item with the wrong stat could be tweaked to be perfect for you.

Even The Division 1 eventually copied the system later on with Exotic weapons and Set gear. Even down to how you can repick and reroll one (or two) stats on them to tailor fit your build like D3 does. The main problem with it though is that it shows that all of this was added later on since you don't get Exotics or Set gear until you hit the level cap of 30 which is late in the game. Fortunately Division 2 seems to have learnt from this and has set and exotic stuff right from the beginning like Diablo 3 does.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 3 Left for Dead?
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 6, 2019, 04:29 OpticNerve

Maybe it's for the best.

I did have fun playing L4D1 with friends but after the underwhelming 2nd one, I just got "over" the Left4Dead series. When I look back on it, it just feels like it's a kind of simple, shallow and very repetitive game with a small selection of weapons and basic, non-exciting gunplay.

You're basically rushing past mainly linear levels (with some slight branches) and hoping that the AI director doesn't screw you over. If it does, you repeat the level and hope that the director gives you a break so you can fight those special spawns in wide open areas. Rinse and repeat, maybe try the whole thing on a harder level and that's it. Maaaaybe play the Versus mode for a change of pace.

I just don't really have any urge to revisit L4D1 and 2 at all since I've already seen and done everything the first time through. If L4D3 does make an appearance, the series does need a big change and shake-up IMO.

News Comments > From Software Working on Two Unannounced Games
3. Re: From Software Working on Two Unannounced Games Dec 29, 2018, 01:55 OpticNerve

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 28, 2018, 23:57:
I actually like that about their games. It's more important that the atmosphere is so good than having some backstory spelled out to compel my interest. It's like discovering an alien world every time because you really don't know what to expect.

Agreed. The Dark Souls series is so atmospheric and interesting to my friends and I that a big part of the fun (apart from playing them) is just talking about the plotline of the series. It's fun just piecing together the backstory as well as theories about the origins of important (and not so important) characters from item descriptions as well as even subtle clues that the devs have put into the game.

It's rare these days that a game really warrants such in-depth discussion in our gaming group, especially when so many games just hand-feed you everything without leaving any mystique to it whatsoever (I'm looking at you Blizzard and Bioware games).

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 2018, 21:27.

News Comments > Diablo IV in Development Hell?
9. Re: Diablo IV in Development Hell? Nov 22, 2018, 15:42 OpticNerve

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 22, 2018, 13:22:
Dark Souls Diablo doesn't sound bad to me at all... but considering they canceled this as well as the other mystery D4 project at Blizzard that really means they are NOT working on a D4 right now. Mind blown. That company is run by dilettantes.

A shame. I'd love to see a Dark Soul'ish take on the Diablo franchise. Even with all of its faults (and I know how a lot of people here bounced hard off of it) the Dark Souls games are a much beloved series and its combat system is pretty much the one to emulate or beat when people think of the best of third-person melee mechanics.

357 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo