Total Posts
877 (Graduate)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

877 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 20.
Newer [  1    15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30    44  ] Older

Re: Obligatory Tribes 2 post
Mar 5, 2007, 12:32
Re: Obligatory Tribes 2 post Mar 5, 2007, 12:32
Mar 5, 2007, 12:32

Any publisher can pull any game at any time, Steam or not. For example Tribes 2 can be killed, BF2 can be killed, they can just stop the logon servers for those products just as any others.

I have no problem whatsoever with them updating my product/service I bought, I see that as part of the service and I am glad they still have focus on the game and dont let it rot.

Pick a currency it will have to be converted at somepoint. USD, EUR, GBP pick one I still have to convert. Who cares, thats the financial system.

I am forced to update anyway when servers are updated and do a verson check, nothing new there.

You cannot roll back a patch if you dont run the server that you play on.

Rarely does patches fcuk up and when they do they release another patch. Big deal.

Online activation is here to stay. Deal with it, I recommend you play board games instead as most computers will go that way. No internet? Call their activation number. You have to do it with Windows nowdays anyway, unless you have an OEM license.

Anyway most people do and those that dont, aren't the gamers they target anyway usually, not their demographic.

I would certinally like to see more of Steam perhaps not in its current form and not run by Valve only, I would love to see a totally open common ground global scale online distribution and authentication network. Steam is just the start, it will perhaps become that kind of open system.

Other publishers could setup their own competing service but it is a lot of infrastructure and time they are behind Steam so I doubt they will.

More and game houses will opt for Steam as they dont have to license media protection and they wont have to manage the infrastructure and they can sit along site other titles and get the existing eyeballs on their product. Especially the smaller game houses.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 12:35.

Mar 5, 2007, 03:19
Re: Obligatory Tribes 2 post Mar 5, 2007, 03:19
Mar 5, 2007, 03:19

Actually you can decide not to keep a game patched up or not its in the options (Properties - "Keep this game up to date", "Do not automatically keep this game up to date"). This is part and pacakge of Gaming as a Service. This is the prodcut they sell including updates. If you dont like their product, dont buy it, go outside and socalise instead. I prefer to have the latest patches and I have yet had problems that required me to rollback patches, for multiplayer servers usuallly you would have to match their versions which would usually be the latest patch. As for the dollar, yes that is reason it is cheaper but I also gain by other means, instant acces to the product I purchased and no handling of media, to me thats also something of value. Steam's authentication check is less intrusive and damaging than me having to manage CD images with Alchocol (assuming the product allows it to run that way) or reach for a CD and handle that continiously. You are at the mercy of the CD protection which in many cases does not follow the Disc colour book standard and you are playing roulette with your drive, it may work it may not, it even may damage it. You take that risk, Starforce is notourious for thrashing drives. Sure it is a bad luck and not a common occurance but my Starforce totally thrashes my drive and makes me very concerned at the activity going on there incase it is damaging it. That is something of value also. Open access to a game for a period is a more realistic taste of the product than any feature limited demo. Longitivity is solved by purchasing the product if you like it. Thats what the demo period is for. Try before you buy. Not try it forever. Valve has stated they are going to use other currencies in time so the value of the USD is not an issue, I am just taking advantage of the current weakness of it which anybody should if they want a good deal. Retail stores are usually slower to reduce their prices, online stores do discount faster and more heavily. Play.com usually never charges the retail prices for long and you can usually get them for less than the sticker value 99% of the time. Retail stores here however, you are so out of luck. They got big rents to pay.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 03:39.

Mar 4, 2007, 15:51
Re: Obligatory Tribes 2 post Mar 4, 2007, 15:51
Mar 4, 2007, 15:51

I backup to Harddrive not DVD's etc, I dont like paying the blank media taxes and I really want lots of discs laying about, I think im quite right with prey not working with Alchocol 120% installed, this is the very reason I downloaded it from Steam even though I purchased the media from play.com. Brick and mortar stores are usually more expensive as they are on the highstreet leases and sites such as play.com price ALL IN including delivery, and dont add tax. Online and Steam are my main options, no economic sense in paying shelf prices in stores here. Traditional demos are specially constructed maps usually, I am talking COMPLETE open FULL game for a period of time, that goes beyond traditional demo's. There is a world outside America you know. The USD has been weak for a quite a long time, when that changes you can be sure they will offer other currencies in order to remain competitive. Every time I run the game it asks for a CD that seems pretty constant to me.

You must like trying to hunt through sites like FilePlanet to try to download patches for games, I have it all automatic, same for the crash reporting, I dont have to try to find their support contact.

Anyway, enough of Steam and the future of game delivery, now back to our topic, CRYSIS

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 16:08.

Mar 4, 2007, 13:08
Re: Obligatory Tribes 2 post Mar 4, 2007, 13:08
Mar 4, 2007, 13:08

20 mb connection is quite wide spread in Europe and Asia.

Steam can sustain pretty high transfer rates, I was getting 800 kb/s on an 8mb connection pretty stable.

I never have had problems with steam, I guess they singled you out.

FarCry used SafeDisc 3.20.022, most forms of media come with some kind of protection, I am glad to have single one off activation over constant checks on media, since now games are even demanding I remove my Virtual Drives images (Alchocol 120%). Prey did this, yet when I removed it from the media I purchased and chose to download the one on Steam since It is all the same activation requiremnt, I no longer have that problem of them deciding that I remove products on my machine.

Prey media or Prey on Steam, same activation, media install wont run with Alchocol installed Steam installed one does, guess which one I went with. Yup, steam enabled. Patching is nicely done too, saves me having to chase around for the downloads from FilePlant or whatever 200 billion-click avoiding advert links and popups and queue waiting.

Another great thing it can even store and upload the dumps from crashes (Prey is one buggy crap product). So, just like Watson they can now get feedback for patches. Win Win for them and Win Win for me.

They also do free weekends for some games (They did this for The Ship) a few weekends ago. Nice way to have a demo and a great way to sell a game. Open it up for a period for everybody.

Most serious gamers have far more bandwidth than the normal home connections. Trivial gamers would use their parents connection which would be classed as "normal" low bandwidth.

Anyway it is faster to download on Steam than it is to wait on a few days delivery from the online store even on a low bandwidth connection.

Lets not forget the environmental impact, less plastics. Great thing. I know alot of people in America seem to forget people pay by more than just money, we also pay by our impact on the environment so yeah I do like to do my bit and cut down on my media wastage since once I have installed and imaged and played the game the PC game cannot be resold, so its a waste of plastic, I could remove all paper and use it as a DVD box or give it to somebody else yeah but I prefer to reduce my incomming materials when possible in order to reduce outgoing waste.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 13:37.

Mar 4, 2007, 11:45
Re: Obligatory Tribes 2 post Mar 4, 2007, 11:45
Mar 4, 2007, 11:45

With a 20 mb connection, I can start the install and then go for a snack and coffee and its done Pretty much the same as from DVD.

Whether you download from Steam or not, if the game uses Steam for activation you are Steam enabled, period.

Yeah Im a moron for chosing the service that most suits my needs.

What we do need however is an Open single sign on single management for our game "services". Something independant and an open standard. Based on current offerings Steam is the only one that manages to come close to that. If there is a better service please tell. I quite like and enjoy the convience of such a service and can see the benefit of it as it expands. I do get good pricing from www.play.com but with the current value of the USD since everything is priced in USD currently I can get pretty good prices on there too.

You can continue to enjoy StarForce et all, I choose the henious evil of the totally hugmongous cache files.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 11:59.

Mar 4, 2007, 08:28
Re: Obligatory Tribes 2 post Mar 4, 2007, 08:28
Mar 4, 2007, 08:28

I hardly think a few GB is going to make a DENT in my hard drive space, as for installed on the hard drive, if you have images (and also Alchocol 120% again another peice of software to pay for and maintain) you have it twice, once in a running state (installed) and again as an installable image.

As for redeploying older games on steam at peak prices, alot are discounted and you also get preloading and you get discounts for early buying, you dont get on preorder in the retail channel.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about steam. Why dont you get yourself a console if you like games so much from media?

Gaming as a service is here to stay and comming more widespread, if you dont like it, i suggest you go outside and stop playing games, its healthier than being a grumpy git

Mar 4, 2007, 07:37
Re: Obligatory Tribes 2 post Mar 4, 2007, 07:37
Mar 4, 2007, 07:37

Im not brainwashed, I just like to have all my things in one easy place, I dont have to carry around images with me.

Still, nobody forces YOU to use it.

You dont have to buy your games on steam you can still purcahse through the retail channel and it still runs on steam.

Fine, you are going to accept online activation and deployment at some point, would you rather have 20 differnet other channels which you have to manage your different sign ups for, Ubisoft, Steam, etc etc..

I already have FarCry from the retail channels, I just want it Steam enabled so I can install it on any machine easily without carrying DVD images.

Alot of game houses are redeploying on steam as it gives them extended life for their existing portfolio of games after they have peaked. Look at X3, and neosoft, they got boycotted because of Starforce, Ubisoft is getting boycotted because of StarForce, Neosoft dumped StarForce due to this criticizm and redeployed on steam, less hassle, and you talk of system resources, would you prefer StarForce?

If you can purchase a game that requres Steam activation anyway, on steam for less money than the retail channel or similar pricing but you can have it instantly without waiting on delivery from the online retail channel store, which would you do? I would order on Steam. What good is the DVD and box to me after I have activated it on Steam? No use at all since I can install it anytime I wish from Steam or images.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 08:24.

Re: Forget the mouse..
Mar 4, 2007, 02:59
Re: Forget the mouse.. Mar 4, 2007, 02:59
Mar 4, 2007, 02:59

Yes and so could trained monkeys.

Re: No subject
Mar 4, 2007, 02:58
Re: No subject Mar 4, 2007, 02:58
Mar 4, 2007, 02:58

You mean Uncreative Xi Fi dont you?

Forget the mouse..
Mar 3, 2007, 16:35
Forget the mouse.. Mar 3, 2007, 16:35
Mar 3, 2007, 16:35

try this

http://www.emotiv.com/2_0/2_1.htm

The next Wii Controller perhaps?

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 16:35.

Voice
Mar 3, 2007, 16:31
Voice Mar 3, 2007, 16:31
Mar 3, 2007, 16:31

Can I have a voice link between me and another specific player just without team or global chat? 1 to 1 chat in game? across games?

Usually I just use an IM client for this so why reinvent the wheel? Im sure most people use either 1) teamspeak or 2) their IM clients.

I really wish they didnt start resetting people's preferences and settings when they deploy steam updates. They did this the last update, why bother having settings when they override them.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 16:33.

Mar 3, 2007, 16:05
Re: Obligatory Tribes 2 post Mar 3, 2007, 16:05
Mar 3, 2007, 16:05

FarCry had a great environment with great visibility, just add weather and a night / day system and itll be great for long matches I hate 2 minuite rounds, so lame I like a good 30 hunt the bloody git thats shooting me non stop or to get past their defences.

Bring back Siege game type

Anyway, I hope they plan to make FarCry or Crysis available on Steam at some point.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 16:09.

Obligatory Tribes 2 post
Mar 3, 2007, 12:38
Obligatory Tribes 2 post Mar 3, 2007, 12:38
Mar 3, 2007, 12:38

Can somebody create a Tribes 2 mod for this, thanks

Re: Wow
Mar 3, 2007, 09:31
Re: Wow Mar 3, 2007, 09:31
Mar 3, 2007, 09:31

Dated as it is quite empty now

Yeah it was the best ever team game I ever played, I bought 3 licences, played it for years, more than any other game and probably the longest time I will play any game in a long while.

While the team aspect and freedom of movement is key, I do want more immersiveness in my environments. That comes from physics and visuals. Pitty we have that without the freedom of movement and team aspect in most games today.

Mar 3, 2007, 03:19
Re: No subject Mar 3, 2007, 03:19
Mar 3, 2007, 03:19

We even have a cooling off period by LAW for online purchases here. Dont you? You are free to return the product if you change your mind and they cannot refuse to accept it unless you have damaged it, not to mention the very nice consumer friendly laws in Europe.

Anyway, this is a bloody DVD the chances of it being defective are low, geez its just a damn game your paying just to get a key. In 20 years who is going to give a damn. You dont need no collectors set. I really doubt it is going to be that valualble, I got boxes of 80's computers and games that are worth more and thats not much.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 03:42.

Mar 2, 2007, 17:54
Re: Wow Mar 2, 2007, 17:54
Mar 2, 2007, 17:54

Its not a dongle its an Apple!

Now STFU and let me sit back, relax and enjoy my Mocca coffee in my Bono (Red) turtleneck while watching rerun's of Steve Jobs on stage saying "40 GB" with the audience going WOW, and my name is Raven dammit!

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 17:54.

Mar 2, 2007, 17:51
Re: No subject Mar 2, 2007, 17:51
Mar 2, 2007, 17:51

Actually I am aware DreamFall is single player. I do have the intarweb you know and do read the reviews.

Oh yeah OS X over Steam, out of context clutching at straws are we?

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 17:51.

Mar 2, 2007, 17:06
Re: Wow Mar 2, 2007, 17:06
Mar 2, 2007, 17:06

So did X-Windows

As for Intel chips yeah sure, let me know when I can run it on my "IBM compatible" PC which is what my point was After all thats all Apple is nowdays, stock hardware with an Apple logo and restriction on their hardware configuration.

I always thought of Apple computers as the worlds most expensive "dongle" for an OS

And now back to our original program schedule, C.R.A.P.G.A.M.E.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 17:37.

Mar 2, 2007, 16:36
Re: Wow Mar 2, 2007, 16:36
Mar 2, 2007, 16:36

"Actually, MacOs was first, released in 1984, but anyway..."

but anyway, IBM machines where the domainant business workhorse and Apple has yet to release on those

perhaps 2084 eh

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 16:36.

Game remakes
Mar 2, 2007, 16:33
Game remakes Mar 2, 2007, 16:33
Mar 2, 2007, 16:33

are as good as remakes of Levis jeans. Ie., usually rubbish

877 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 20.
Newer [  1    15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30    44  ] Older