Total Posts
877 (Graduate)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

877 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 18.
Newer [  1    13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28    44  ] Older

Re: Problem with anti piracy measures
Mar 13, 2007, 14:48
Re: Problem with anti piracy measures Mar 13, 2007, 14:48
Mar 13, 2007, 14:48

Wrong, their download methods use Starforce and Safewrap, didnt you read the last post with a link to their FAQ that stated such? That also doesnt help me with the product I have in my hand now does it, or are you suggesting I repurchase it again and have 2 licences? Please, your attempt at being an intellectual flamer failed miserably.

Is it really that hard to read the post DIRECTLY below the one you typed?

Since you are a lazy cunt here I shall post it for you again..

* German - Securom.
* German Online Download from Metaboli - Starforce
* Czech - Starforce.
* Czech Online Download from Sprocket - Softwrap
* Slovak - Starforce. "

I know neither German or Czech well enough to give money for them.

I got a reply from the CEO today, and he said take it up with SecurROM and there was nothing currently on the market that is better, so I suggest he trial Steam. Lets hope they do.

Nice passing the buck isnt it.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 15:01.

MP?`
Mar 13, 2007, 05:31
MP?` Mar 13, 2007, 05:31
Mar 13, 2007, 05:31

Is this multiplayer or just 2 player co-op?

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 05:32.

Re: Problem with anti piracy measures
Mar 13, 2007, 02:35
Re: Problem with anti piracy measures Mar 13, 2007, 02:35
Mar 13, 2007, 02:35

From the game developer themselves...

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_FAQ

"Which copy protection is ArmA using?

Discussing copy protections contravenes forum rules. Discussing it any further may result in people being banned.

Publishers decide the copy protection used for retail products.

* German - Securom.
* German Online Download from Metaboli - Starforce
* Czech - Starforce.
* Czech Online Download from Sprocket - Softwrap
* Slovak - Starforce. "

Thats the OFFICIAL line.

Doesnt matter what the forum moderators do, its the official line thats the concern. Its really a shame because it looks such a great game experience too, let down by the attitude of the game developer and their treatment of customers. I am still waiting a reply from their contact. Ignorance just does one thing, turns away customers.

If they start whining about disc protection is necessary I kindly direct them to Steam just as I did with Neosoft and X3: Reunion and their Starforce, eventually Neosoft started deploying over Steam.

I hope these guys follow the same path.

They may just point the finger at their publisher, I point the finger at the game developer for 1) picking that publisher and 2) not self publishing and 3) deploying via Steam.

Passing the buck is not good enough, it just raises that "ignorance" hand again.

What they should do is have their DRM method stamped on the packaging and in their product advertisements so I can make a PRE PURCAHSE desicion on what the contents is.

All reviews should specify (they are probably banned from specifcing it just as Microsoft bans benchmarking of their products) what DRM is used in games.

If the games industry cannot self regulate, I recommend it is regulated by government body.

Im very sure they would prefer self regulation.

I have a very strong case for refund in EU law, my machines meets their minimum specs on their product box and store sales pitch, even then my purchase does not meet up to the requirements it was purchased for. It is refundable with nay problems in the EU but I have now got the NOCD crack from gamecopyworld and now run that, and I went out of my way to click quite a few advert links to get them revenue.

Disc DRM doesnt stop pirates but it can stop legitimate customers.

I prefer activation over disc DRM which usually doesnt work with my software installed and breaks the disc color book standards.

I refuse to install yet another download manager such as Sproket or Metaboli, whatever they are. I already have one installed, STEAM. Use it or get together and agree a standard for interopability or lose out sales. You can bet your ass that most people will be using STEAM, not some no name download manager for a single game and STEAM with perhaps 15 games on it.

What gets my goat up is their ignorance and they are not willing to do anything about it such as trial deployment on Steam and help the customer resolve the issue. Yes I mention steam alot because it is there today and is working today. What we are going to get is a arms race on download manager/services. Im quite sure nobody wants that. STANDARDISE or lose out.

Another thing, EA and Battlefield 2, still requires a CD to run, why cant they patch it to no longee require this? They have sold the game, they have made god knows how many expansion packs and have now moved onto the next version. As part of their LAST patch release they should disable the disc requirement. Heck even Microsoft is going to disable activation requirement on XP once it hits end of life.

Most games I had did this with patches, except EA, I honestly dont see this happening for ArmA. I hope they do.

Perhaps they will wise up and start using Steam and enable me to steam enable my retail copy of ArmA and thus no longer have to run cracks.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 04:15.

Problem with anti piracy measures
Mar 12, 2007, 12:51
Problem with anti piracy measures Mar 12, 2007, 12:51
Mar 12, 2007, 12:51

I just purcahsed Arma (Armed Assault) and I am unable to run it on my machine.

It uses SecurROM and I have other software installed that conflicts with it. I clicked the link and it claims I have daemon Tools v4 installed, I DO NOT have that product installed. Anyway, what I have installed on my machine is my business not theirs.

I usually run VMWare and other virtualisation software for my work, this is going to be a growing problem as virtualisation takes off more and more and watch as DRM systems fall over more and more, this is a good thing as it makes them have to spend more money and refund as more customers purchases fail.

On their support site it says if anybody discusses disc protection they get banned, what kind of way is that to treat customers?

I do not recommend and cannot recommend this game developer based on my initial experience.

I have mailed their contact email address but alas do not expect a decent reply if any.

I really wish they use Steam as a delivery method then I wouldnt have this hassle.

They have now forced me to encourage and support www.gamecopyworld.com . Then they go out and wonder why people are downloading cracks and so on?

I have no problems with giving money to GameCopyWorld crack sites via advertisement revenue, I clicked quite a few advertisement links to show them my support for their crack service.

Bohemia Interactive Studio can disappear as a failed company for all I care. No sympathy here, especially when they give the "talk to the hand" mentality in their support forums for such CD DRM issues that cause problems, how the hell can we get the problem resolved if we are banned for even mentioning it?

I now think twice and vote with my wallet for BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE games. That is the greater power No money, no company

I am not a pirate, I am a customer that has the money that they want (and got for this product) and just want to get the product working.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 12:59.

HL2 : Episode Three
Mar 12, 2007, 07:48
HL2 : Episode Three Mar 12, 2007, 07:48
Mar 12, 2007, 07:48

When Alyx Vance's bottom gets bigger.

Argumentitive skills
Mar 12, 2007, 04:31
Argumentitive skills Mar 12, 2007, 04:31
Mar 12, 2007, 04:31

You know somebody is losing an argument when they start attacking people.

Re: No subject
Mar 11, 2007, 17:17
Re: No subject Mar 11, 2007, 17:17
Mar 11, 2007, 17:17

Holy shit that Asteroid Miner is going to strain my hardware, I feel so forced to upgrade right now, I am off to preorder my new Commodore Gaming Machine http://www.commodoregaming.com/

Anyway, dont alot of people argue that all this FPS space ranger or WW genre games are so unoriginal anyway? They dont need the latest hardware for REAL original games.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 17:21.

Mar 11, 2007, 16:55
Re: No subject Mar 11, 2007, 16:55
Mar 11, 2007, 16:55

Get a cheaper hobby then, try pottery.

Its like you just MUST upgrade to Vista to play the newest games, no u dont, Dx10 or not I dont care, Im staying put on Dx9. Im quite sure it will be around and working for a few years yet.

I dont feel forced to upgrade. I upgrade when Im damn good and ready at my own free will.

All the optimizing in the world isnt going to get the latest games to work with your 486 Linux box. You have to draw the line somewhere. 3 years is not unachievable for a decent machine for games. Im very sure you can get 2 years out of hardware, I do it. Why cant you?

Perhaps you can cut down on burning money on the Gillette tax, branded clothing or hair products you wash down the drain anyway then you could afford the hardware. Considering alot of them are based on reference designs from NV or AMD whats in a name, they are all competing, you also dont have to have 1.5 GB in a card you can pick one with less memory. Wait, you want a Porsche but dont have the money. Then take budget classes. Work, I bet you think putting money in the bank is the best way to make money form your savings, take investment classes.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 17:05.

Mar 11, 2007, 16:40
Re: No subject Mar 11, 2007, 16:40
Mar 11, 2007, 16:40

And? Nobody forces you to upgrade your hardware more often than you wish just as nobody forces you to buy every game on the market.
I use laptops for gaming and I stretch mine out to about 3 year lifetime. Thats ample for gaming. I have had mine for nearly 3 years and only now is it straining for the latest games. Time to upgrade but every 3 years is nothing.

Working at a games company is no different from a software company, you have the usual food chain and not everybody makes the big money that is claimed on here. As usual the execs get the big money and the actual worker bees dont.

Im quite sure you can still squeeze more than 18 months from a graphics card. You can also save by waiting a bit for the prices to drop, nobody needs to upgrade as soon as they hit the shelves, only a numpty does that.

You can always change your hobby if you dont like it or make your own hardware and games.

The fact that you spend such a huge amount of money on a graphics card that often means you are 1) stupid and 2) have more money than sense and 3) can obviously afford the games.

Game prices are like every other item in stores, they all have a set entry level price, and when a new one comes out, they take the new item price and the rest trickle down in price to accomodate.

You actually have an advantage by not running the full glitter and razzle dazzle, you can see the enemy in games easier without the eye candy. You have faster smoother screen updates, I disable alot of that anyway regardless if my hardware can handle it or not. I only keep some dynamic items such as lighting and shadows etc so I can find them easier as they try to hide. Nobody needs or wants fog, if they cant design a game so that a high level of eye candy has the same chance as one with lower eye candy then tough titty. Its not cheating its taking the advantage And you get to use your hardaware for longer than 18 months.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 16:54.

Re: Expansions
Mar 11, 2007, 14:59
Re: Expansions Mar 11, 2007, 14:59
Mar 11, 2007, 14:59

Barney? The dinosaur?

You mean there is a story? All this time all I have been doing was following Alyx Vance's bottom. Its quite hypnotic really. Perhaps its a portal.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 15:03.

Mar 11, 2007, 12:36
Re: No subject Mar 11, 2007, 12:36
Mar 11, 2007, 12:36

"I think a better question is why do the publishers and developers feel so entitled to get so much of the money I spend? "

"Call me when these publishers and developers can't afford to pay their rent or put braces on their kid."

You cant honestly sit there and blame them for YOUR bad budgeting and fucked up priorities. Nobody is forcing YOU to give them your money.

If you put gaming before your kids then seek help.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 12:37.

Re: go after the snakes head...
Mar 11, 2007, 11:07
Re: go after the snakes head... Mar 11, 2007, 11:07
Mar 11, 2007, 11:07

If you have a valid reason such as it was not as agreed between you and them then yes sure by all means go for it, if you simply didnt or stopped liking the "service" then you simply stop paying.

As I previously stated, there are very strong laws in the EU for consumers, use the tools available to you.

If in America, well, good luck with that

If a company churns through customers eventually it will disappear, frankly I couldnt give a rats bottom whether a company survives or not, that is their problem not mine.

If any company was to disappear its EA and have they disappeared no because people still pay them money for BattleField 2 packs. People moan bitch complain whine but still give them money. Doctor doctor it hurts when I do this, well then stop bloody doing it then.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 11:13.

Mar 11, 2007, 10:56
Re: go after the snakes head... Mar 11, 2007, 10:56
Mar 11, 2007, 10:56

Then if in the EU, you have very strong consumer laws even outside product waranties you can claim a replacement or refund. I suggest you go down to your local citizens advice beauru and discuss what actions you can take with them. Small claims court or wherever. Have you even contacted the publisher?

Most software houes go out of their way to avoid liability, this has been proven in court many times and they have been held liable, there is even a book on it if I can remember it I will post the name.

I do like subscription games because if you dont like it, you simply stop paying and cut of their revenue stream, cant get a more direct way of getting the message across than that, and as for pricing of subscription games, I simply mail them and say sorry cant pay it because I have a budget and that is going to X Y and Z so compete

I do this for online stores, I vote with my wallet, if I have to jump through hoops such as creating an account to place an order I search online and find a store that simply makes me select the item and then pay. Then I mail the store I avoided to tell them who got my money and why.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 11:04.

Mar 11, 2007, 10:41
Re: go after the snakes head... Mar 11, 2007, 10:41
Mar 11, 2007, 10:41

Ahh but your are not realy buying a game as a product you are buying it as a service along with patches, support and so on. The media is just a service enabler. Who hosts the sign on servers, the publisher, who hosts the game, them and you pay for game servers nowdays, as for free servers, well you dont need to pay to host anyway, most voluntary servers are free to download.

Just because a game isnt monthly subscription doesnt mean its not a service. It is a one time payment service.

If you think all this is unlawful or unethical, I suggest you dont preach to us here, you go preach to the EU government or whoever and start a class action lawsuit.

If you dont like it, simply dont give them any attention, dont publicise the game, dont buy it, dont steal it. IGNORE IT. Is it that hard? You dont NEED the game or else shop around for better pricing or just pay like the rest of us.

I have no problem paying for a game, most of the games I pay are online play anyway and I view them as a service just like my internet provider service.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 10:51.

Mar 11, 2007, 10:32
Re: No subject Mar 11, 2007, 10:32
Mar 11, 2007, 10:32

Ahh yes all the Americans come put to be patriotic in an internet forum but when the crunch comes to stand up against their own government (this happens to be a global issue since you all have your hands in our cookie jars), back to the armchair

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 10:38.

Re:
Mar 11, 2007, 08:49
Re: Mar 11, 2007, 08:49
Mar 11, 2007, 08:49

Given today value of the USD, thats about 20 GBP and 30 EUR

Im sure your daddy can afford it since he paid how much for the computer? About 800 to 1000 GBP is the entry point for most PC's, if you paid more for your "gaming" PC then you can definately afford the game. since you overpaid for the privledge of owning that top notch graphics card as it just came out, rather than waiting until its available in many brands at cheaper prices you can definately afford the games.

Oh but you want 5 games, well then there you go, take a budget class and dont be so bloody greedy.

By the time you are tired with one game the others will be discounted.

I get a handful of games a year that adds up to about a couple of hundred a year max. Thats peanuts.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 08:56.

Re: Yar!
Mar 11, 2007, 06:05
Re: Yar! Mar 11, 2007, 06:05
Mar 11, 2007, 06:05

Price too high?

Wait until it is discounted, www.play.com has pretty fast and good discounts, shop around online there is a live outside Google and Amazon you know. Hard to grasp for most Americans I know.

No Demo? read the reviews and or wait until there is a demo and if you are really in doubt, DONT BUY IT! WOW! what a concept.

You cant return open PC games because they contain a multiplayer component that requires registration of an account which is usually tied to the CD key, you are paying for a SERVICE, do you expect to return your internet provider after youve used it? Here I got some underwear that I bought, will you accept it as a return? Honesly its clean I washed it and put it back in its original packaging, here is my receipt.

Fileplanet? If you used Steam or something like it you dont need Fileplanet, you get regular updates as part of the game SERVICE you paid for. You can always use Google to searh for an FTP site, ftp.blueyonder.co.uk for example contains game demos and patches, search is your friend, just not for the LAZY.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 06:10.

Mar 11, 2007, 05:57
Re: No subject Mar 11, 2007, 05:57
Mar 11, 2007, 05:57

"you are a burger flipper just like every other blues devotee. Another wet stain on your Burger King uniform and you'll get demoted to fry cook, am I right? "

You really do think you are king of the castle arnt you.

"As for getting rich, I'm a F&AM. I get paid quite well for doing nothing in a job"

Swing that penis for us guys on here! Kinky!

Only an American would think that life centers around money and when they have it they think they are the bee's knees.

" Kid, I've been into the emulation community since 1995, I think I know a thing or two about it."

Yup you are realy feeling the age when you refer to everybody else as "kids" Grandad.

Yup, you along wiht a million other people that have the skilled ability to download an emulator and then claim to be so uber elitly skilled and nobody on earth ever could do this!

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 05:59.

Re: ...
Mar 11, 2007, 05:55
Re: ... Mar 11, 2007, 05:55
Mar 11, 2007, 05:55

Yes some games but not Painkiller for example.

Mar 11, 2007, 03:43
Re: No subject Mar 11, 2007, 03:43
Mar 11, 2007, 03:43

Wrong I have a garage load of 80's and games AND games consoles that you never heard off back from the time of a proliferation of home brew machines, the problem is, nobody wants the games. Remember the Amiga, people EMULATE that, same for the NES, tech is fast enough to do that you know. Nobody wants the hassle of finding compatible TV' to connect them to.

Newsflash, the games arnt worth diddly and anyway the media degrades.

Keep dreaming that dream of getting rich on your old "tech" junk.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 03:46.
877 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 18.
Newer [  1    13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28    44  ] Older