Total Posts
877 (Graduate)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

877 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 17.
Newer [  1    12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27    44  ] Older

Re: STALKER : DRM
Mar 22, 2007, 16:10
Re: STALKER : DRM Mar 22, 2007, 16:10
Mar 22, 2007, 16:10

Upgrading your machine is not a problem for games, that is a windows feature because you dont have an "account" tied to your license. Steam is tied to a single ACCOUNT accessable anywhere.

I can and have downloaded games in an hours or less. I have downloaded movies in 20 minuites.

Steam can handle my bandwidth and I am not on the top tier bandwidth yet.

Anywy with standards you can SWARM those in to reduce server load. Think p2p, but I know that requires you pulling your head from your ass.

When you purchase your retail games that are on Steam, you are activating it on steam anyway. Just paying for a box on the shelf at the shelf price or whatever price they pay, I have done this before just to get hte license key then downloaded on Steam to avoid the DRM.

Prey does this, I purchased from play.com, activated it on Steam as required, then downloaded as the DVD DRM is a work of shit that was preventing me playing the game because of my software installed was in compatible with it. Steam saved that game for me otherwise I couldnt play it.

I welcome it.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 16:18.

Mar 22, 2007, 15:35
Re: STALKER : DRM Mar 22, 2007, 15:35
Mar 22, 2007, 15:35

I stated Steam is cheaper than our store shelf prices. Yes play.com can be cheaper still but I have to wait a week for delivery, I dont mind paying a bit more from Steam and yet still be saving over shelf prices to get it within an hour.

I never had problems with steam. So far, I guess they like me and not you. Yes Ive read about the problems.

Industry standard but not on a single server, uhh hello! and also distributed so no single point of failure. Every publisher would have a vested interested in it and thus wont let it fail, itw ould also have a standard image format, and interop and we can pick and choose our own compatible clients, or indeed delivery initiated from a web page , perhaps their store, perhaps a mom and pop online store or even play.com too, they could do this if they STANDARDISE, and we get to have no CD's and once activated our purchases, hassle over. Well that wont be comming anytime soon but online delivery WILL and most PC game houses are moving towards persistent environments or online play in order to keep revenues and increase sales so online delivery and activation goes hand in hand with that. No more DVD to take care off. I for one look forward to it, if they standardise and get their act together because SecurROM , STarForce etc are all destroying the experience and the industry.

Steam is here and I for one welcome it with open arms, Microsoft Live is here and they are deploying to PC's now aswell as XBOX (primarely as a driver for Vista).

Well, you will be left behind as its here comming and growing, I accept it, but want standards before it becomes a bloody mess like DVD DRM.

I choose Steam for now, if you can suggest better, no problem, but without those "standards" I mention we cannot move our existing purchases to the new system. STANDARDS are key.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 15:39.

Mar 22, 2007, 14:52
Re: STALKER : DRM Mar 22, 2007, 14:52
Mar 22, 2007, 14:52

I havnt tried Steam at 20 mb but I have at 8 and I got 8 pretty much sustained.

Well for online play which is what I do, having to insert the DVD every time doesnt make sense. I would rather activate and I have to log on anyway. No internet, no online play.

My main purchases are for online play.

I dont get off my ass to pay the local retailer where I am because of 25% tax, and If I order on Steam I can pick and choose a Credit Card I have in a couple of countries and pick the one with the lowest tax since they add on tax, and btw, www.play.com dont add tax.

Shelf prices here dont drop fast and is ridiculious.

It is cheaper to purchase on Steam for me, thats why I purchase over play.com but I dont mind paying a bit more for INSTANT access thats cheaper than our shelf prices here in Europe.

I also wouldnt have to crack steam, its painless for me and totally transparent unlike SecurROM which I have to disable (and probably soon UNINSTALL) some applications I need. Steam doenst require this. Not to mention the fact that I have all my games managed in one place. All this FUD about what if Steam disappears, is just total fear mongering.

If you are scared of it so much, then push for an industry wide standard not the download manager proliferation that we are going to see now each one incompatible and most are just going to deploy an image that INCLUDES SecurROM or Starforce which defeats the purpose (Sprocket etc does this crap).

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 15:00.

Mar 22, 2007, 11:43
Re: STALKER : DRM Mar 22, 2007, 11:43
Mar 22, 2007, 11:43

Uhh steam delivery wouldnt be long for me

20 mb is normal here now anyway you can leave it overnight, still faster than shipping and no SecurROM crap.

While it may not be cheaper on steam, perhaps who knows their pricing for it, thats up to the publisher, but I would have had it this evening, now I have to wait until Next week.

And I wouldnt have to insert the DVD every time I wanted to play and yes I will be using a NoCD crack on it like most sane people.

And please dont turn this into a Piracy thread again we already had one, post there.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 11:46.

STALKER : DRM
Mar 22, 2007, 06:55
STALKER : DRM Mar 22, 2007, 06:55
Mar 22, 2007, 06:55

What DRM does the disc use? Can anybody confirm the Disc protection type? I have to start disabling shit to get it to work as it confuses some virtualisation apps as Daemon Tools crap which I dont have. Does it require the DVD in the drive to play? Sucks for online play. I cant see a NoCD crack on GCW yet.

Just ordered it on www.Play.com its dirt cheap on there now

Pitty its not on Steam so I could have downloaded it instantly

Now I have to wait a weekend to get delivery. Oh well. I guess ill find out then :\

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 07:14.

Re: well....
Mar 21, 2007, 13:46
Re: well.... Mar 21, 2007, 13:46
Mar 21, 2007, 13:46

You obviously havent experienced my "testing" skills in games then

I can assure you, I wont bore you

Re: Only RO clans need apply
Mar 21, 2007, 08:59
Re: Only RO clans need apply Mar 21, 2007, 08:59
Mar 21, 2007, 08:59

They actually type all that?

I would be happy just to have the option to DISABLE the text box COMPLETELY, if they want to communicate, use an IM or TeamChat server or something built in, I dont want to participate with children screaming in a half pubic voice that Im a tard thank you very much, and the whiney American accents.

Most of the time I end up taking my headphones off and leaving the sound off.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 09:27.

Re: Played
Mar 21, 2007, 08:19
Re: Played Mar 21, 2007, 08:19
Mar 21, 2007, 08:19

Ahh I sees you have had the BattleVote 2: Special Retards experience then

Mar 21, 2007, 06:44
Re: Played Mar 21, 2007, 06:44
Mar 21, 2007, 06:44

Bots are just a waste of server slots which could be filled by real players, if they must have bots I hope the server kills the bot if a real player wants to join.

Owning a real player is far more satisfying than AI and ever since T2 bots (wall humpers) I just dislike them, period.

I do hope the servers support a Queueing system for new players wanting to join, I am tired clicking refresh or juggling between 2 servers to get the player count refreshed in order to join one, and having the ping and player counts update frequently so we dont have to keep refreshing would be nice for the currently selected server.

I am mostly referring to internet play not LAN games, anyway, it is harder to predict people than it is AI.

That brings up another request, I want the ability to IGNORE text, voice binds and audio voice from specific players (tard spammers mostly), and vote spammers. Blocking delays are not good enough, I want total control over an ignore list for that game session.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 07:23.

Mar 21, 2007, 05:46
Re: Played Mar 21, 2007, 05:46
Mar 21, 2007, 05:46

Fist thing to get disabled in MP games, bots.

Second thing after that, I add to filter list, bot count = 0 for game servers.

I dont purcahse MP games to play AI, I purchase to play other sheeple.

Adding bot code to a game for a Multiplayer environment is just a waste of developer resources and time, since its a dead code path.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 05:48.

Steam
Mar 19, 2007, 15:43
Steam Mar 19, 2007, 15:43
Mar 19, 2007, 15:43

Will they manage it via steam too?

I hope so.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 15:43.

Re: Pifft
Mar 18, 2007, 14:37
Re: Pifft Mar 18, 2007, 14:37
Mar 18, 2007, 14:37

People remove fog on BF2 and other games anyway to get the upper hand.

Many times I have been sniped through fog. I always run with the minimum textures on the ground so I can see mines clearly, all eyecandy does is make your game harder.

Sure Crysis looks GREAT but for online multiplayer games I reduce all that glitter to WIN.

Re: Problem with anti piracy measures
Mar 17, 2007, 09:12
Re: Problem with anti piracy measures Mar 17, 2007, 09:12
Mar 17, 2007, 09:12

So what if they churn out shit, dont buy it then and definately dont steal it then. Its their business, if they want to run it into the ground thats fine by me. Why lose sleep over it? I dont. If I buy a shitty game that means I have not asked around, read the reviews and played the demo.

Word of mouth is a big player in game purchases. If a game is shit, then you hear about it quickly.

If a game is great it sells great, buy it and definately dont steal it.

Games are going Vista for top end visuals, fine by me, I wont be on Vista. Thats their choice, when they pull the plug on Dx9 (which wont be for many years to come given a lot of engines support back to Dx7 still today) fine by me, I wont be on Vista.

I dont give any company any sympahty. 99% dont deserve it and I am not going to waste my health with worry over some corporate "entity".

Its like my reply to the CEO of Bohemia games, I bluntly just told him I dont give a rats bottom if his company fails or suceeds, It wont succeed with my money, he cried that SecurROM was the only alternetive. I suggested Steam. The ball is in his park, end of the day I dont give a shit, its just a game, if he doesnt want to go down that road then fine, I wont be on his road he is driving down, it may well be empty. Its his company, not mine, he can do with it as he pleases, its the same with my money, I can do with it as I please. He wants it, I got it. He has to jump through MY hoops to get it, not the other way around.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 09:17.

Mar 16, 2007, 07:40
Re: Problem with anti piracy measures Mar 16, 2007, 07:40
Mar 16, 2007, 07:40

Everything they have that can make money and drive Vista sales.

This "Games for Windows" branding drive is for the Vista sales push, nothing else.

Why do you think their XBox "Live" is only on Vista. To push Vista sales again.

As far as MSFT is concerned Vista is the only SKU of client side Windows existing, XP is in all but name dead.
This comment was edited on Mar 16, 07:41.

Cattle herd effect
Mar 16, 2007, 02:34
Cattle herd effect Mar 16, 2007, 02:34
Mar 16, 2007, 02:34

They followed the cattle herd to consoles because the people flocked to the consoles.

PC gamers are really tiny in comparisson to consoles.

I blame OpenGL for pretty much giving up on the gaming market.

Sure PlayStation uses OGL but so does the Mac and Linux and PC's but with XBox DirectX is the only show in town for Xbox/PC now as game engine developers capatilise on that.

What we need is Apple to get serious into gaming then that would be a HUGE catalyst for getting OpenGL back in vogue.

Lets not forget that console makers can practically pay a huge subsidy for big name titles in order to increase sales of the hardware via exclusivity.

Game houses slap this up big time. No PC maker does this.

Console maker subsidies are killing PC gaming.

The only way games are comming to the PC that exist on consoles are subsidised by Microsoft in order to drive Vista sales via DX10 exclusivity.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 02:39.

Mar 15, 2007, 09:13
Re: Problem with anti piracy measures Mar 15, 2007, 09:13
Mar 15, 2007, 09:13

Microsoft is back porting Xbox games to the PC in order to drive Vista sales with DX10 exclusivity.

Re: OMG
Mar 14, 2007, 13:27
Re: OMG Mar 14, 2007, 13:27
Mar 14, 2007, 13:27

ZOMG Ponies!

Gotta love the state of gaming today. I go onto BF2 and when you actually try to do something, all the kids start screaming "Its against the rules its against the rules", uhh if the game allows it, do it is my thinking. Cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen

Arcady games today sucks because it brings out the idiots.

Its turned games into a large battle of vote kicking non stop.

Games in the main are rubbish. Very few gems.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 13:29.

Mar 14, 2007, 12:33
Re: Problem with anti piracy measures Mar 14, 2007, 12:33
Mar 14, 2007, 12:33

Uhh Im a PAYING customer, not a thief.

I assume you are directing your comments to the other idiots who try to justify theft.

The only reason the PC still has games is because of the Xbox and DirectX. It is not an overly difficult job to design it for both platforms.

I have seen PC shelf space disappear in some stores, some computer stores have literally dropped the PC game shelf, and I dont blame them. Their main competition is from the online retailers such as www.play.com for good reason, competition.

I welcome the day when I can instantly purcahse games and play them after downloading. I would like this to be a common agreed standard if possible. Today the main contenders are Steam and Microsoft Live. I just wish they would bang their heads together and come up with a standard solution of activation, downloading, mangement, payment.

Knowing Microsoft they will come up with Live points like they did with Zune points. Totally out of touch.

Branson is aiming to take on this market, perhaps he will bring it closer to this ideal.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 13:06.

Re: Obligatory..
Mar 14, 2007, 07:52
Re: Obligatory.. Mar 14, 2007, 07:52
Mar 14, 2007, 07:52

Try Arma (Armed Assault).

Get the NoCD patch from GameCopyWorld as it uses SecurROM.

Mar 13, 2007, 16:20
Re: Problem with anti piracy measures Mar 13, 2007, 16:20
Mar 13, 2007, 16:20

Perhaps because I am not the "customer" of SecurROM?

Technically I am the customer of the retail store if we want to nit pick.

The download manager issue I rasised was a valid one. Product activation is less intrusive than disc protection. It is less prone to failure and less dependant on controlling my machine. Using their download managers just depoy other protections that would also fail on my machine, and also the issue of locale.

The game support is normally provided by the publisher/developer, in this case, they dont want to help with the product they ship, securrom are protection enabling devices, the developer/publisher enables it and ships it.

How about I sell you a car, with built in alarm, but I direct you to the manufacturer of the alarm for help if it goes wrong? No you would bloody well demand that help from the car dealer / manufacturer wouldnt you.

Apply your method to games, say they license a physics SDK, a game engine, an auidio engine and protection and a few dozen other API's. What if you had a sound problem in the game, "Im sorry sir, we use supplier A's audio APIs in our game, please contact them for audio support". "I also have this problem with screen clipping", "Ok sir, please contact OGL or Microsoft as we use their API's" and god heaven forbit if you have more than one issue! Thats just too funny.

Take it up with SecurRom? Dont be stupid, they would insist I remove my existing software in order for theirs to run, or they would say contact the game publisher. I am not SecurRom's customer.

What if they go a step further and start disabling software that they determine as a piracy method? They have already wrongly assumed I run Daemon Tools v4 according to their message! What if in future they disable firewalls, anti virus scanners etc?

I did fix it, I downloaded a crack to disable the CD check.

Well, I hope you enjoy your life of shuffling CD's.

The future is a common activation service.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 16:38.
877 Comments. 44 pages. Viewing page 17.
Newer [  1    12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27    44  ] Older