Descending
Limit Results:

547 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    28  ] Older

Re: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Remake
Sep 9, 2021, 21:30
Re: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Remake Sep 9, 2021, 21:30
Sep 9, 2021, 21:30

I completely passed this game over because it looks and plays so dated, so I will be anticipating a modernized version of it. I am hoping it will be on pc and only mentions ps5 because it is a sony trailer.

Re: Why pigeons mean peril for satellite broadband
Aug 30, 2021, 04:46
Re: Why pigeons mean peril for satellite broadband Aug 30, 2021, 04:46
Aug 30, 2021, 04:46

Please refine your statement. orbits can and do very much work like that.

Re: Why pigeons mean peril for satellite broadband
Aug 30, 2021, 02:16
Re: Why pigeons mean peril for satellite broadband Aug 30, 2021, 02:16
Aug 30, 2021, 02:16

I am still in the air about the starlink like systems, when you get realistic they are still thousands of miles apart, super small, and completely predictable paths. You can launch anything as long as you are not being retarded about it. However I hear of other countries attempting similar style satellite grids and that I worry about, you cant just layer them all over each other for every tom dick and jerry that wants to put one up. And unless you are a global system like starlink, if you don't service an area you should not be flying over it. So shit like china and India satellites need to stay over there or don't fly at all. This may require starlink to be a regulated body as this may force them into a monopoly in some countries.

Anyways, I did not even bother clicking the headline... "A bad solar storm could cause an “Internet apocalypse.”" is a no-freaking-duh. We have worried about the effects of a solar EMP on all devices since EMP was observed. We cant to shiat about it. I am pretty damn sure the day we can protect things from EMP, we will. Until that day we roll the dice of chance.

Re: Evening Consolidation
Aug 26, 2021, 04:27
Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 26, 2021, 04:27
Aug 26, 2021, 04:27

Sweet.. here is hoping ps5 slim is out by feb!

Re: Sunday Consolidation
Aug 16, 2021, 03:11
Re: Sunday Consolidation Aug 16, 2021, 03:11
Aug 16, 2021, 03:11

battlefield taking a page from the re11 book.

Re: Evening Metaverse
Aug 6, 2021, 06:11
Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 6, 2021, 06:11
Aug 6, 2021, 06:11

My main problem is I live on YouTube, and the YouTube page is far more responsive in chrome. Also I believe the player in chrome is different, takes advantage of googles streaming codecs better. Otherwise epic would be my browser of choice.

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Graphics Petition
Aug 3, 2021, 18:08
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Graphics Petition Aug 3, 2021, 18:08
Aug 3, 2021, 18:08

jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2021, 15:27:

ObsidianAnt runs a 3080, and you can see building pop in pretty obviously in the distance.
I believe I saw that video.. the ny sky scrapers in the horizon. The problem is.. you cant stop that. Those sky scrapers will have to pop in at some point. They don't always exist, you cannot see them in California (Ignoring earth curvature which I believe the game does not simulate). No matter what setting or version you played in, they will exist in one shot and not exist in another shot. I will accept that the pop in distance may be shorter now.

Also jdreyer, as much as people want to keep claiming that, the evidence does not support it. Most peoples examples do now show a noticeable visual change, and I have even seen videos where people were comparing their release footage with SU4/SU5, and there was visual improvements since the release day. So everything you see now does actually look better then the original release of the game, while also improving performance.

By the way maybe I should correct another inaccuracy being passed around. This is not a Microsoft game, asobo is a 3rd party studio. Their last game was on 6 platforms. Probably their most technically impressive one was the crew, the large open world format racing/flying game. (This I actually did not know till just now, so imo this actually makes asobo a very ideal candidate to make msfs 2020). Msfs 2020 will be exclusive to ms platforms, and I'm sure a lot of back and forth talks about xbox hardware was discussed during development, and yes the PC version is beta test, but microsoft most likely had zero input on suggesting anything they needed to cut. Only that there needed to be an xbox series version soon and I am sure they would have been a little disappointed if it did not look as good as how the pc version turned out. I am also sure Asobo probably asked MS engineers in how best to optimize the game for xbox after the pc version came out and it came time to look at the xbox release. I'm sure they had a hotline to AMD, too.

People need to quit whining about the barely noticeable pc nerfs and instead look at the simply amazing job of stuffing such a game into a console and having it come out THIS GOOD. Heck id like to see what they could do on an xbox X, just no cuts in the main version please, use those dynamic sliders.

Aug 2, 2021, 23:30
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Graphics Petition Aug 2, 2021, 23:30
Aug 2, 2021, 23:30

You just quoted me quoting you saying xbox was the best... congratulations, you just played yourself. Also the game was pretty much the best asobo could do, asobo is (was?) not some amazing top tier company with wonder wiz programmers on staff. msfs was an amazing push for them... and I can say with pretty good certainly that they were not telling themselves 'you know.. we shouldn't implement this because xbox'. Did the game take a hit because of console limitations in SU5...YES. But for it we got better performance thanks to the fact they had to get off their butts to do some optimization.

Thats what sucks about pc exclusive games, instead of coding worth a shit they simply slap a label on it that says it need extreme levels of hardware. Witcher 3 for example, it performed hard and I cannot say when I looked at it I was like "yea..I can understand why it performs like crap". Consoles mean programers need to squeeze what they can out of a specific level of hardware.

Aug 2, 2021, 18:23
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Graphics Petition Aug 2, 2021, 18:23
Aug 2, 2021, 18:23

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 17:59:
but it appears that Microsoft neutered the PC version as well so that the XBOX X version is the best..

Where are you getting this wild notion the xbox version was better? Its the same software as the pc, using a not-as-well-tested dx12 implementation because xbox series won't do dx11, using a mix of high and ultra settings. targeting 30fps, and a hard cap of 60 in VRR.

Aug 2, 2021, 17:29
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Graphics Petition Aug 2, 2021, 17:29
Aug 2, 2021, 17:29

WaltSee wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 17:08:
If Microsoft did this, then it's horrible--what a profound absence of judgment. If it's the performance of the simulator that Microsoft is trying to address, then dumbing the entire game down graphically is the wrong way to go.

It wasn't dumbing the game down, it was fixing bad code. The game may have looked great, but it ran like crap. it ran like hot garbage and VR was unusable because of 20-40 fps on low settings. All they did was implement the same optimization design seen on all AAA games. Aside from the pop in when flicking your hat switch around, the changes are not noticeable.

The notion of "ray tracing" for this game is a total waste of time, imo. Far better to do realistic graphics with HDR support, instead.

You don't seem to understand all what ray tracing can bring to games. There are a few key raytracing functions that would make huge differences in msfs. #1 proper cockpit lighting and shadowing (Check out the famous cyberpunk car scene example), #2 proper reflections on the planes and water surfaces. Screen space reflection is just ugly. That is actually all you would need. And that is probably all we would see so that xbox performance would not be hindered. I don't really know if ray traced shadows on the city landscape would help, I am fairly certain it does a nice clean single pass and then freezes it, no need to update shadows on the ground more than a couple seconds or even minutes at a time.

As for pictures showing examples, that is kind of what I am getting at. The pop in is there when you look for it, there is no hiding it and you can't show that on pictures. All games do it. It is only ugly when using the hat switch to instantly change view points left/right/back and it redraws a whole new landscape. The landscape detail, esp in distance, very hard to notice. I "Think" some people are seeing a different threshold in the distance and I feel we just need to add a ultra plus setting for that. There is also a high possibility these people manually edited their config files to access extreme settings and the top of that setting that is not accessible in game got pulled down.

Aug 2, 2021, 16:56
Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Graphics Petition Aug 2, 2021, 16:56
Aug 2, 2021, 16:56

Bob wrote on Aug 2, 2021, 14:44:
Didn't Microsoft have it in their contracts with some developers that if they wanted to put their game on the xbox, then they were not allowed to have the game on another platform with better graphics then the xbox?

Maybe they have a similar deal here?

I have never seen such FUD. Forza 4 always looked best on pc. So hear is the deal, msfs 2020 had some really bad optimization. It may look great but you needed a monster computer to run it. One of the reasons for this is a lot of screen data was retained in memory, not just what was in front of the player but all around them, too. This is actually bad design, every game should be culling what the player cannot see. msfs 2020 suffered high memory usage because of this, far higher then the xbox series can manage.

With the xbox optimizations, 3 things happened. #1 buildings and trees not in the camera are culled (side effect: pop in when changing camera positions), #2 the geometry, the number of trees and buildings rendered in the distance are probably lower (I really think there was so much rendered that this is actually hard to tell). I also believe better lod models were used that consumed less memory. I know they redid how trees looked. And #3 exclusive to the console, terrain mesh detail is dynamic and will slide between high and ultra performance dependent.

As someone who can play it on some pretty impressive settings with a 3070ti, this thing is just a whole bunch of winey babies. #1 is annoying somewhat but honestly, only people with shitty controller setups that flick their hat switch like mad would notice. #2 is simply not noticeable unless.. ok I run 2k.. so maybe a full 4k might notice the slight downgrade. IMO #1 should stay as it is (you are literally asking for your game to perform like crap so you can abuse the hat switch). #2 should just be option management, no reason we can't have pre-su5 settings if we manually select higher settings.

Also this is the first and only patch so far and I am sure we will see many performance refinements to come. It just will take time, asobo does not do things quickly.

Re: Hi-Rez Declares
Jul 24, 2021, 01:27
Re: Hi-Rez Declares Jul 24, 2021, 01:27
Jul 24, 2021, 01:27

Glad I'm not the only one who remembers the shit they pulled with tribes. I love tribes and really liked that remake. even spent some money on it.

Re: Saturday Screenshots
Jul 18, 2021, 02:34
Re: Saturday Screenshots Jul 18, 2021, 02:34
Jul 18, 2021, 02:34

The comments are cancer because new posters get shuffled off to modvile and there are no mods to clear posts. Looks to be a circle jerk of old time posters.

Re: Steam Deck Fuels FOMO Fever
Jul 17, 2021, 18:50
Re: Steam Deck Fuels FOMO Fever Jul 17, 2021, 18:50
Jul 17, 2021, 18:50

The apu is probably one of the easiest to manufacture and is not a large die, although it is still 7nm and thus relegated to the plants that are under duress. Since this is slated for christmas and demand may not actually be that big (after all the other 3 will seem to have plenty of stock) they probably feel they will meet their target production, still. I don't think valve would kick start something if they didnt think they could make enough for their goals. And these are the guys who know first hand how many video cards are NOT making it into the hands of their gamers.

Re: Steam Deck Fuels FOMO Fever
Jul 17, 2021, 15:33
Re: Steam Deck Fuels FOMO Fever Jul 17, 2021, 15:33
Jul 17, 2021, 15:33

Lol... scalpers too stupid to notice that there are other higher powered portables out there, and that they run the same software? In fact valve WANTS competition! This is just a kick start, if someone else wins the pc handheld war they just want to be the guy holding the biggest software package used.

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Jul 14, 2021, 21:00
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 14, 2021, 21:00
Jul 14, 2021, 21:00

If all you need is a web browser, cloud PCs are fine. I find it hilarious how expensive google wants to charge for some chromebooks though, its a god damn joke to them. I wont fault windows for trying but windows was NEVER designed with cloud apps in mind. NEVER. It is hard to start now.
It fills in for offering a low cost version of a certain type of PC, but won't replace anything else.

As for desktop PC comeback, mmm... cost was always a good factor and that has not changed, even a mini PC (Intel NUC) are fairly cost effective compared to a laptop if you just need a small PC. Although powerful versions are often more expensive then they should be. But dollar vs performance, a cheap desktop with an AMD APU is just amazing.

Re: NASCAR 21 Plans
Jul 12, 2021, 19:57
Re: NASCAR 21 Plans Jul 12, 2021, 19:57
Jul 12, 2021, 19:57

Just tell me when they actually make a good nascar game. Every single game is bad software under an expensive license like games based on movies.

Re: Morning Consolidation
Jul 1, 2021, 13:11
Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 1, 2021, 13:11
Jul 1, 2021, 13:11

that was what I was gonna say. Havnt seen a switch shipped to us in several weeks now... quite a down time.

Re: etc.
Jun 28, 2021, 15:40
Re: etc. Jun 28, 2021, 15:40
Jun 28, 2021, 15:40

Back in 2010 there were no tv shows being done with the budget necessary to float mass effect. Today on the other hand that is a different story. I could see one of the big streaming networks dumping several million dollars to produce a mass effect series.

Re: Forza Horizon 5 Announced
Jun 13, 2021, 16:32
Re: Forza Horizon 5 Announced Jun 13, 2021, 16:32
Jun 13, 2021, 16:32

God, I still have to play 4. Why isnt there enough time in this world to play all these great games.
547 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    28  ] Older