Descending
Limit Results:

85 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

PC Easter Egg
Nov 24, 2010, 14:28
PC Easter Egg Nov 24, 2010, 14:28
Nov 24, 2010, 14:28

Coolest easter egg I've seen: Playing Darwinia on Christmas day. It snows, and the little guys have santa hats on.
Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam
Nov 18, 2010, 08:59
Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Nov 18, 2010, 08:59
Nov 18, 2010, 08:59

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Nov 18, 2010, 04:08:
I'm a little disappointed by the plot this seems to have. I want some DLC that tells me ... why the first courier who got the Platinum Chip job turned it down when he saw my name was next down on the list.

I just bought this game after the release of the performance/save-fixing patch, and I'm getting down to just the end-game quests. I'm very disappointed to hear that this is never explained. Dang it! I knew I should have continued to avoid reading about this game until I'd finished it the first time!

Google SPAM
Nov 17, 2010, 14:46
Google SPAM Nov 17, 2010, 14:46
Nov 17, 2010, 14:46

I signed up for Google Voice yesterday afternoon because of this, and got my first SMS spam this morning. Thanks, Google!

Glad I'm broke
Nov 8, 2010, 06:49
Glad I'm broke Nov 8, 2010, 06:49
Nov 8, 2010, 06:49

I'm nuts for the Fallout series, so I want to get FONV so bad I can taste it. When I buy, I'm going to get the collector's version, and the Prima guide. However, I've been dealing with some other hobby projects, and an appliance repair, so I haven't spent the money. This is the first AAA title that I've wanted that I didn't buy on the day of release. All this talk about the bugs makes me glad I've waited, and it looks like I may as well wait for this patch. I appreciate the feedback on Blue's that has broken down the real issues, free of spin.

Goofy
Nov 8, 2010, 06:39
Goofy Nov 8, 2010, 06:39
Nov 8, 2010, 06:39

I tried to like Heroes; I played many hours, but I just can't get comfortable playing a game where someone can out-spend me to win. On the one hand, I'm glad that there's a place in this world for every type of game concept. On the other hand, I'm frustrated that this sort of thing draws people away from BF2/2142 servers to a game that will frustrate me unless I'm spending lots of time and lots of money to be competitive. I can always jump back on the others, and pick up right where I left off. The problem is that there are fewer and fewer servers that are playing a "real" game of BF2 or 2142, and I don't think this is going to help matters.

And, yeah, agreeing with the above, I generally prefer the _game_ of 2142, but there's usually more _going on_ in the BF2 servers.

Sep 29, 2010, 08:46
Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Sep 29, 2010, 08:46
Sep 29, 2010, 08:46

avianflu wrote on Sep 29, 2010, 07:16:
love the game but after 2 excellent DLC's I think I am "done" with Borderlands

Not me! Bought it sight unseen. Installed it this morning, but I won't have time to play until tomorrow. :-(

I LIKE the mindless slaughter of Borderlands. I've come to realize that the guns really don't matter, and won't allow myself to grind in order to find more powerful ones. When I finish the quests, I just start a new game.

I really don't care what games LOOK like. (Geez, we gave up on what they sounded like a long time ago, as the crazed obsession with Creative sound cards died out. Thank goodness!) As many of you can agree, we had a lot of fun, back in the day, with what amounted to blocks on the screen. I'd be happy if games like Borderlands... Fallout 3... even KOTOR would just get remade with new story lines. I don't care about the engines, and getting new whizbang graphical effects that force me to upgrade. I LOVE that FO NV is getting made on the current engine. I hope they do a couple others on it as well.

So I'll keep buying DLC's for Borderlands. Keep 'em coming!

Sep 15, 2010, 17:45
Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Sep 15, 2010, 17:45
Sep 15, 2010, 17:45

Well, so much for another of my business ideas. I thoroughly welcome the move.

I've long wondered why Steam doesn't get into this area. Updating video, audio, keyboard, mouse, and joystick drivers -- along with all the Microsoft patches, and anti-virus updates, and on and on and on -- is the Achilles heel of the PC platform, compared to consoles. This whole realm ought to be a no-brainer for Steam. If they continue along this vein, they'll be the undisputed champion of the online game providers.

Yeah, yeah, they might screw up a patch. Spare me. Then they will just join the club along with all the rest. That hasn't stopped them either. As long as they keep it optional, I don't see how this could be a problem. Everything they've done so far has convinced me that they'll get this right, even if it takes a couple tries.

Aug 24, 2010, 06:58
Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 24, 2010, 06:58
Aug 24, 2010, 06:58

Both games run just fine on Windows 7 32/64. I don't know how people claim to maintain Linux installations but fail to do even basic procedures like using compatibility flags when trying games on Windows.

Because setting up a machine from scratch by hand with software raid running Gentoo to host a dozen KVM virtual machines hosted on an AoE SAN is still less hassle than dozens of attempts at twiddling all the various permutations of the compatibility flags and installing different video and audio drivers versions in order to appease the Windows gods.

Seriously, Verno. How can anyone claim to be able to sort out this nonsense, and yet not be able to install Linux From Scratch on an old IBM mainframe? ;-)

I spent half an hour screwing around with SWKOTOR, finally got it to run (at all), and then it crashed 2 minutes into the game. With hundreds of posts all over the internet that basically say, "this won't work," yeah, I gave up. BF2's story was even worse. The basic gist was, "you might be able to get it to work if you stick your tongue out just right." At the least, you're in there manually updating PunkBuster and fiddling with the game's config file. It's probably just me, but you may want to reconsider the phrase "just fine" as it applies to these situations. A simple Google search easily proves otherwise.

It's not a question of whether it will work; it's a question of the value of my time. With literally hundreds of games in my CD case, I just chose to say "screw it," and play something else.

The way I see it, over the past 10 years, Linux has gotten easier to setup and and use for every day work than running old games on new versions of Windows. This is why I made my comment about XP. Being as gaming is all I use Windows for, downgrading to XP doesn't cost me anything. I'm not using anything in Windows Ultimate that I don't get in XP Pro. And every game I have works "just fine" there.

Aug 23, 2010, 19:28
Re: Valve Not Working on Linux Steam Aug 23, 2010, 19:28
Aug 23, 2010, 19:28

I've run Linux on my desktop and servers at home, church, and work for 15 years now, full-time for over 10. I know Linux. If anyone has the patience and the experience to run games under Linux, I would have. But I don't. There was a time where I had tried just about every version of stock Wine, CrossOver, and Cedega, but they all suck. I've given up trying.

So I keep a Windows 7 partition, but even that's not the end-all, be-all answer. I just discovered that -- along with Battlefield 2 -- Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic doesn't play on it. I'm strongly considering a downgrade back to XP...

To the point: I see from [url=]http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php[/url] that Linux is estimated at about 1/3rd the market size of OS X. (And XP is still holding onto about 50%!) Maybe when it gets to be ~4.5% of the total makeup out there, it might be of interest to Valve. Maybe? I suppose the other half of the equation is user expectation. People on OS X are expected to shell out the dollars. Linux? Not so much. ;-)

Posted from Ubuntu 10.04.

Re: More Borderlands DLC Planned
Mar 4, 2010, 08:24
Re: More Borderlands DLC Planned Mar 4, 2010, 08:24
Mar 4, 2010, 08:24

Feh. I've enjoyed the game, but the DLC's are becoming slog-fests-for-junk. Someone could do a paper on the psychological aspects of running these rarely-and-randomly-reinforced quests. (I've never done MMO's, so I'm new to this whole "grinding" thing.) I'm glad they eliminated hacked guns, but I still can't find anything really great, and I'm over it. If they had made Crawermax or the later levels of Moxxi _guarantee_ to spit out at least 1 pearl weapon, it might be different.

I played with 3 others last night, beat Crawermax 3 times, and only saw a few orange weapons. In fact, on the last time, I found a bug in the game. I couldn't see the dropped weapons, and I even killed the thing! Everyone else was running around picking up stuff that I couldn't even see.

Re: Safety Dance
Mar 1, 2010, 07:10
Re: Safety Dance Mar 1, 2010, 07:10
Mar 1, 2010, 07:10

Linux. DNRTFA, but the answer is always Linux.

Re: Fallout: New Vegas This Fall
Feb 4, 2010, 18:29
Re: Fallout: New Vegas This Fall Feb 4, 2010, 18:29
Feb 4, 2010, 18:29

I was totally burned by KOTOR II. I wind up playing my games through a dozen times over the years, and the SW games are some of my perennial favorites. However, I can't play though KOTOR II without usually getting stuck at the initial encounter in the ice station. Added to that is the fact that the game's ending just sucked. So, yeah, everyone's probably alluding to exactly what I'm talking about, but I'm going to be one of those guys who will wait for the MetaCritic score before making a final decision. (And I LOVE Fallout. I have the Collectors and the GOTY editions of 3, and I'm playing through it right now for the 4th or 5th time.)

Re: First Borderlands DLC Announced
Oct 16, 2009, 10:32
Re: First Borderlands DLC Announced Oct 16, 2009, 10:32
Oct 16, 2009, 10:32

All these comments, and no one's mentioned that this has become a "Games for Windows Live" thing. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, and this is well known, or just assumed. However, I had a hard time getting FO3 to work, patch, and load up the 3 DLC's I bought. I'm glad to wait for the GotY edition that will re-release the full game, and then I don't have to fool with GfWL again.

Knowing that they will be releasing the DLC's with GfWL has SERIOUSLY put my purchase into question, and I've been slavering for this game since it was announced. I may wait a few months, and see how this progresses now. Maybe I'll even give it a year, and see if they do a GotY edition themselves.

I can see why Microsoft is trying to muscle in on Steam's platform, but at least Steam WORKS... I was going to buy a boxed copy, but if I buy on Steam, will I be able to get the DLC's through steam as well, or will I still have to go through GfWL?

Re: Ok, it's gold. What DRM?
Oct 12, 2009, 08:31
Re: Ok, it's gold. What DRM? Oct 12, 2009, 08:31
Oct 12, 2009, 08:31

While GFWL is annoying, it's hardly a deal-breaker on an otherwise great game...

Uh... no. I LOVE Fallout. Enough that I held my nose over the GfWL and bought it for my PC, and bought 3 of the five expansion packs. I have had lots and lots of problems with the updating mechanism, and getting the DLC packs to work. I was all over the forums while I was screwing with this, and I was no where NEAR alone in my problems. Many people faced much worse.

As soon as I heard that they would be releasing the GotY edition, fully updated and with all the packs on-disk, I stopped considering buying the other two expansion packs, uninstalled the game, and now wait for them to ship it. Even though I already have the collectors edition, I will buy the game again so that I never have to fool with GfWL again.

I simply won't be buying another game that ties in with GfWL like this. I'd say something about developers getting a clue about this situation, but the fact that they're re-releasing the full game tells me that Bethesda heard the customers loudly and clearly.

Re: 2 Million BF Heroes, Update Next Wee
Sep 25, 2009, 15:06
Re: 2 Million BF Heroes, Update Next Wee Sep 25, 2009, 15:06
Sep 25, 2009, 15:06

I played quite a bit, up until they did the big nerf, right as they opened the beta to the public. I can't stand it any more. They say that they've improved the problems with the hackers, and it appears to be better, but the commando class is still to overpowered IMHO. I logged back in for about 30 minutes or so a few weeks ago, but until they "balance" the classes again, I'm over it. OTOH, when I play an online multiplayer, I'm playing 2142. One of these days, I'll get around to trying the new BF2 patch...

Re: BioShock 2 in Feb 2010
Sep 18, 2009, 12:48
Re: BioShock 2 in Feb 2010 Sep 18, 2009, 12:48
Sep 18, 2009, 12:48

Strange. BioShock rates in my top 4 along with Jedi Knight, Half-Life and Fallout, and I was REALLY looking forward to the sequel. I'm sure I'll bite, but I'm not interested in multiplayer (that's what Battlefield is for), and have to agree that the premise sounds weak. Here's hoping that we're all bad a second guessing...

Re: Battlefield 2 Patch in Weeks (Maybe)
Jul 27, 2009, 06:39
Re: Battlefield 2 Patch in Weeks (Maybe) Jul 27, 2009, 06:39
Jul 27, 2009, 06:39

Could be worse... In France, they take July AND August as a national holiday.

Re: LucasArts Classic Rereleases
Jul 6, 2009, 15:31
Re: LucasArts Classic Rereleases Jul 6, 2009, 15:31
Jul 6, 2009, 15:31

@Techie714: No, you're not the only guy who loved Outlaws. Not only has there been no equal in terms of story for a shooter, it's still the best run-and-gun multiplayer game ever made (save maaaybe for Duke Nukem 3D). My best friend's son was bragging that he could take me out in any PC game I cared to choose. He quit at 50 to 1. :-)

The sound track's so good it's almost worth listening to on its own.

The problem here is that, if they do release Outlaws on Steam, they're going to have an even harder time justifying not doing anything with the property when lots of new people see how great it was.

Re: Fallout 3 Steam Sale
Jul 2, 2009, 13:33
Re: Fallout 3 Steam Sale Jul 2, 2009, 13:33
Jul 2, 2009, 13:33

@kxmode:

I bought the original, and the 3 DLC packs that are available now. However, I pick this up when the time comes so that I don't have to fool around with the DLC's in the future. Heck, I'm playing Far Cry through again, for about the 10th time. When I'm 10 years down the road, and want to play FO3 again, I want it all in one spot.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2009, 13:34.

Re: BF Heroes Beta Opens
Jun 25, 2009, 17:19
Re: BF Heroes Beta Opens Jun 25, 2009, 17:19
Jun 25, 2009, 17:19

I'm guessing that most people bitching about it in these threads have spent more time posting in threads bitching about it than actually playing it.

Well I've been playing the closed beta for quite awhile. I think I've logged about 30 hours on it. So, not crazy. I think I represent their target demo, considering that they want it to be a lighter-weight commitment.

That being said, I gave up on it a couple weeks ago. They changed the classes rather significantly, and, while I could go on about the details, the bottom line is that it's just not "fun" enough for me to play it any more. Their forums are lit up like a Christmas tree with people saying the same thing.

I went back to playing 2142 and BF2. Maybe I'll try it again if they re-nerf the class structure, but given that they did this just before opening the beta, I think it's unlikely that they'll make another major change. I imagine it will just be tweaks before going non-beta.
85 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older