Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for David Krider

Real Name David Krider   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dunkirk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://www.davidkrider.com
Signed On January 26, 2000
Supporter -
Total Comments 78 (Suspect)
User ID 2352

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Horizon: Zero Dawn Dawns on PC This Summer

12. Re: Horizon: Zero Dawn Dawns on PC This Summer Mar 10, 2020, 15:05 Dunkirk

The aiming is the thing between PC and console, innit? That's why HZD (and RDR2) has that time-dilation aiming mechanic in the first place. Did they adjust the timing of RDR2 on the PC port? I feel like, with a mouse, you'd need, like, half the time you get in Dead Eye mode to make it work, and keep it challenging.  

Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Horizon: Zero Dawn PC Rumor

10. Re: Horizon: Zero Dawn PC Rumor Jan 17, 2020, 08:51 Dunkirk

I was a member of the PCMR for 20 years. I finally got tired of changing Windows' diapers, and moved to a PS4 a couple years ago, and I know that won't be a popular notion around here, but, frankly, it's been a huge relief. My main worry was getting used to the controller in games like Battlefield. It was surprisingly less hassle than I thought it would be, and the benefit of not having hackers in every match is even better than I imagined.

Anyway, games like this are designed for a controller. There's a time-dilation mechanic built into the game that feels natural, and makes the action work well with the turn-speed/accuracy limitations of the controller. Frankly, I'm surprised by this news. Moving it to the PC might screw up all the balance in this regard. RDR2 has the same sort of mechanic. If you've played the PC port, maybe there's a clue about how this will come off.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Trailer

14. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Trailer Oct 17, 2019, 14:10 Dunkirk

I couldn't even be bothered to finish the first one. For all the unmitigated hype over the thing, I found the story missions to be tedious and annoyingly Quicktime-like. Here, chase this purse thief all over town for no reason. Or, here make this shot or lasso on a dime. Oops! You suck! Try 2 or 3 or 6 times. I finally just gave up after one of the chase scenes where I didn't get the bad guys in time, and the train rolled into town. Oh, I'm sorry, Rockstar! You limited the speed of my horse arbitrarily, and put me on an invisible clock. Excellent work. I tweeted many, many of these frustrations at them.

There's a really great hunting game in there. I thoroughly enjoyed unlocking all of the outfits. Except that one time a cougar literally spawned 10 feet in front of my horse. DEAD...

Unlocking the gear, though? Yeah, right. I destroyed a controller over the second phase of the knife game. Screw that noise.

I suppose what's so unbelievably frustrating about the game to me is that you're just cruising along, minding your own business, having a good time, and then WHAM! DEAD! I guess the GTA games are like this? I wouldn't know; I never played any of them. Anyway, I'm not paying another $100 for a second version of this nonsense. I feel like Rockstar is thanking me for my money, but saying that I'm just not good enough to get the full $100 of game. Sorry. Thanks. Have a nice day.

News Comments > GOG.com Turns XI, Releases XIII

5. Re: GOG.com Turns XI, Releases XIII Oct 3, 2019, 16:01 Dunkirk

Way cool. I chucked my binder of CD's a long time ago, as I had most of the collection re-bought on various digital services. But I kept XIII (along with NoLF 1 and 2), thinking that I might setup an XP box or a VM of some sort, to be able to play them again. Then I finally gave up on that idea, and pitched them too. I would love to play this through again.

I would expect most people here to know this, but GoG is run by CD Projekt. I just figured this out a couple months ago.

News Comments > New Steam Library Beta

14. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 18, 2019, 07:07 Dunkirk

I've got a 2019 MBP with a Vega 20. The videos play as slideshows. The audio is fine; the video is running at about 2 frames a second. Performance of the app on the Mac has always sucked, so what could I expect?

I can't remember the last time I saw that "this application is not optimized" message, so maybe they've finally updated the app to 64 bit? I've never found a good way of watching development of this thing on Mac. Anyone know a good channel for that?

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Specs

17. Re: Wasteland 3 Specs Aug 25, 2019, 09:31 Dunkirk

Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 16:07:
El Pit wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 11:48:
Same here. W2 just didn't work for me - I could not connect to the game. And I say this as a Fallout1/2/Tactics veteran. Something felt off to me with this game.

Same. I just found it very meh overall.

For me it was the brutal difficulty. With W1, back on the C64, wipeouts were almost to be expected. ("Oh! 'Deathclaws' are really powerful.") I guess Fallout 3, NV, and 4 have made me soft. I struggled so much with the lack of skill points and ammo, and finally just moved on to other games. When the Director's Cut was released, I started a fresh game, determined to optimize my play style with what I had learned before. My VERY FIRST random encounter leaving the base wiped me in 1 round. I hung it up after that. I was a $100 backer of that game, but I'm done with this. You win, InExile.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Free Weekend

2. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend Apr 5, 2019, 08:01 Dunkirk

I installed the texture pack, and the only difference I can detect is that now the textures sometimes take even longer to "snap" into place.  

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Trailer

5. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Trailer Aug 12, 2018, 22:15 Dunkirk

Well, I can't wait. I've played the other 2 several times each. That being said, this footage seems like it could have just as easily come from a game called Rambo, First Blood II, the video game.  

News Comments > Wasteland 30th Anniversary Bundle Announced

3. Re: Wasteland 30th Anniversary Bundle Announced Jun 12, 2018, 17:33 Dunkirk

It's not just you. I've started the game several times, and can never get very far. And I was a $100 kickstarter backer! I really want to like it. I LOVE that it was made in Unity for cross-platform support.

For me, it's just so brutally-and-randomly difficult. The last time I tried, my very first random encounter into the wasteland wiped the party without even a hope. Some people like that kind of thing; I don't.

News Comments > Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs

13. Re: Runic Closed, Motiga Layoffs Nov 5, 2017, 08:09 Dunkirk

Torchlight news? Are they going to crowdfund a T3? If so, I'm in, sight-unseen.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2: Director's Cut Free Weekend

7. Re: Wasteland 2: Director's Cut Free Weekend Jun 10, 2016, 08:37 Dunkirk

I was a $100 backer, mostly because I spent so much time with Wasteland and the BT series back in the day. I struggled with the difficulty of the original release, and consoled myself with the thought that the game was being true to its heritage. So I waited. When the Director's Cut came out, I started over, and got wiped -- hard -- on my very first random encounter in the desert. I haven't played since. It's just not balanced well. It has made me sad that I never finished a game which I paid that much money for, but I see I'm not alone in finding it un-fun. I'm intrigued about the Nexus mods. I may have to check out that scene.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta

19. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 28, 2016, 14:37 Dunkirk

I think this comment arises because there's really no way to play the game as a "bad guy." All of the dialog choices basically move you along the same path of being a hero.  

News Comments > Age of Wonders III Expands; Adds OS X & Linux Support

3. Re: Age of Wonders III Expands; Adds OS X & Linux Support Apr 15, 2015, 13:32 Dunkirk

So did the balance pass make it a worthwhile game? It's currently on sale on Steam, and I presume that's to raise awareness and move copies of the not-on-sale expansion pack. I'm on the fence about it. Can someone actually recommend it?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

15. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 4, 2015, 00:10 Dunkirk

Surprised no one has mentioned ublock. All the goodness of Adblock, less of the bloat, and fully open source. I've been using it for weeks on Chrome and Safari.  

News Comments > Steam for Linux Beta Client

6. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 15:52 Dunkirk

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:43:
It's just a progressive rollout... Not like it'll be closed beta with this same group of people forever, just wait a few weeks and everybody who wants in will have it.

That's what I'm telling myself. The problem is that it was supposed to open the first week of October, and that slipped a month. I know it's Valve time, and all. So it can be a crap-shoot.

News Comments > Steam for Linux Beta Client

4. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 15:31 Dunkirk

Bah humbug. I've run Linux for 18 years, 14 for full time now. I'm running Ubuntu these days. I have dual nVidia 9800's. I average 10 hours a week gaming on my Windows partition. I have many hundreds of dollars of games bought in my library. I applied, but apparently didn't get it. I was hoping that I'd be a perfect fit. I haven't wanted to be in a lot of betas over the years, but this one I sure did. I'm really disappointed.  

News Comments > Steam Linux Plans

26. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 12:54 Dunkirk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 08:07:
Linux looks like ass, is more difficult to use, barely supports games, has limited application support, has poor driver support, has a poor user experience, etc. To claim that it is superior to Windows is laughable. That's not to say it doesn't have many merits but if you want to do anything practical with your computer then that pretty much rules out Linux.

The year 2000 called. They want their anti-Linux flamebait back.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 to Add 5th Class Via DLC

12. Re: Borderlands 2 to Add 5th Class Via DLC Apr 9, 2012, 14:49 Dunkirk

It just goes to show that I really need to change my buying habits to only buy games when they finally go on sale, along with all the "DLC" that's been made, at once. If I could ever delay a couple of big purchases for a year or so, I could just get back to buying games at normal pace. Plus, it would be easier on my hardware, as (on the average) I will have more time to have upgraded my machine.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link Oct 19, 2011, 08:31 Dunkirk

Anyone know how many DLC's they expect to make, and if they're going to release a "GOTY" version with everything all at once, sometime in the future?  

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers

166. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 6, 2011, 12:43 Dunkirk

Lorcin wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 03:12:
Anyone noticed the desktop icon looks just like the Borderlands one but prettier?

Based on your comment, I've noticed that the whole game is basically a rehash of Borderlands. Enjoyable, but this has already been done, and with more style. And fun.

78 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >