Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Karl J. S.

Real Name Karl J. S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swedishfriend
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Smart, loving and confident.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 29, 2005, 17:37
Total Comments 189 (Novice)
User ID 23407

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2013, 23:13 swedishfriend

Redmask wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 21:20:
mag wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 19:13:
Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 16:37:
All Sony has to do to win is not do that and allow used game sales.

Sony already said that they are going to allow used game sales.

Apparently they walked it back after the event and said no plans are finalized yet. Lame.

Nope. Regarding used games and always on connection they have said they will not do either of those. This was after their event. They cannot stop an individual game from doing these things though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2013, 23:03 swedishfriend

Sony has said officially that they will not restrict used games. They have also said that they will not require an always on connection.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 19, 2013, 01:01 swedishfriend

This news came the same day as news of yet another study showing that filesharing has a positive effect on sales. Free streaming has a 7% positive effect and filesharing has a 2% positive effect. If you listen to a song for free you are more likely to buy that song. Every major study not sponsored by the industry has shown the same results. The industry is basically suing people for helping them spread the word about their songs. We should be charging them 5% to listen to music streams and it would still be worth it to them. Greed causes them to shoot themselves in the foot instead.  

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 7, 2013, 17:55 swedishfriend

Nope. That is like one of the last steps, say step 9136. You have to nail down the internals so that the case will make sense for noise and heat removal, etc. The internals cannot be nailed down too early because they are committing to a huge number of certain components each having its own cost which is constantly changing with technology and competition. Notice they didn't say how fast the CPU was. They may not have decided at the point when they made that presentation. They seemed to have the GPU and memory locked down (they mentioned RAM bandwidth and GPU TeraFLOP numbers).  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
21. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 26, 2013, 13:09 swedishfriend

Pricing: We will see fewer $60 titles and more at 30-50. COD and the like will keep getting an additional $60 in DLC for many of its customers. I don't think they can or should go for higher initial cost outside of special editions.

Sony PS4 Event: I thought it was one of the best ever. Mark Cerny has been in charge of the platform for 5 years already. This means the special stuff they were talking about probably already works if not yet on the final hardware. Lots of actual in-engine game footage 9 months out from release. More solid and interesting stuff rather than flash and fantasy. Seems to be lots of people in the game and tech industry who say something similar. So maybe a great announcement for those who care and bland for the larger audience?

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 16:01 swedishfriend

Seems to me he is saying that no console ever could match a "nuclear power plant" level extreme special built PC in terms of raw power. He isn't really putting down the consoles at all, just talking about where his company is aiming vs where the mainstream is aiming. If you can afford to aim further ahead into the future then that might be a good strategy. Console makers cannot afford to do this as they don't want to take a loss on their hardware for too long. Personally I am excited for both the PC space and the console space now that gaming is becoming more accepted in general.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 18, 2013, 12:11 swedishfriend

office 2013 will be locked to a single machine? I don't think that will hold up to any push back whatsoever. Have to wait for updates? so MS wants to create an extra threat vector? if half its users don't go for the 365 version are they still going to treat 2013 users as second class? these possible warnings about office 2013 are all based on the assumption that 95% of the users will switch to a subscription model... We want to make things worse for you but better for us so won't you help make that happen by believing our FUD?  

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 11:59 swedishfriend

Consoles don't need as much power to get better results because programmers will get much closer to the hardware. The general consensus From people who review both PC and console games is that no hardware you can buy today will be enough to run the games that are coming for the new consoles. They are saying don't upgrade until next year to be ready for the next generation of games...  

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 12, 2013, 04:11 swedishfriend

How many low budget downloadable games have demos? 100% or so. How many disc only games are there and how many of them have demos? Not as many. What we really are seeing is that there are more shitty games that have demos than quality games with demos. There is no general rule that makes having a demo absolutely detrimental to sales. If your game isn't worth buying then a demo will hurt sales otherwise it will help.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Results: AC3 Sells > 12 Million Units; New AC Coming
6. Re: Ubisoft Results: AC3 Sells > 12 Million Units; New AC Coming Feb 8, 2013, 00:48 swedishfriend

Looks like the 12 million figure includes about 3 million digital downloads!  

News Comments > More NPD 2012 Sales Analysis
5. Re: More NPD 2012 Sales Analysis Feb 6, 2013, 12:43 swedishfriend

These are great numbers! People had so much less money to spend overall and yet sales are just barely down. This bodes well for 2013 since hiring has been increasing so much in the last year.  

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 12:29 swedishfriend

Europe requires that you can re-sell even downloaded games and I would expect that those kinds of rules will spread. Why try to stop used game sales so late in the game? I would focus my efforts on working out a scheme that will satisfy the EU and implement that all over the world instead. Aim for features the future will require not for the features of the past.  

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's REDengine3 Details - The Witcher 3 Image?
19. Re: CD Projekt RED's REDengine3 Details - The Witcher 3 Image? Feb 1, 2013, 17:33 swedishfriend

Well it is good to see more and more examples of what next gen consoles are expected to be able to handle.  

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 17:26 swedishfriend

Krizzen wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 14:50:
Yeah, Direct3D is definitely still around and will be. DirectInput, DirectPlay, and DirectSound are rarely used anymore. Lots of games use SDL, RakNet, and fmod respectively, while still rendering with Direct3D or OpenGL.

Good info! This was exactly what I was wondering about.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation, ps3 Jan 21, 2013, 14:23 swedishfriend

So one processor with cpu/gpu combined and some additional "special" processor. Maybe a cell processor so they can emulate PS3 games? Without a Cell or some special made processor there will be no backwards compatibility for PS3 games which might be kinda important considering all the people who may be expecting their PSN bought games to work when they get the new machine.  

1. Re: Evening Consolidation, here to stay Jan 9, 2013, 21:18 swedishfriend

Kaz is right. The console market has grown along with the mobile platforms. I expect that people getting used to playing games through their phones will lead to more gamers in general which will be good for consoles at least until we see a major revolution in chip manufacturing to allow for much smaller/low-power processors.  

News Comments > Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled
10. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 04:34 swedishfriend

If this was not windows but OS dedicated to playing games(console style) they could get away with 1/4th the power to get similar end result and sell it more reasonably. Maybe this is what one version of the next xbox will look like for $600?  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 5, 2012, 01:37 swedishfriend

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 19:02:
TheEmissary wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:26:
People have the right opportunity to get paid and compensated for content and material they produce.

FTFY.

There is no such "right" that exists, whether naturally or decreed by law, that says you will automagically have gold fall from the sky simply because you create something.

Plus no one creates something on their own. No person is really separate from any other person or thing in the universe. If one of my pieces of music is shared by millions on the internet I should be able to figure out a way to make a living but I certainly wouldn't and shouldn't feel I was owed anything.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 20, 2012, 14:36 swedishfriend

I have more problems with my macbook and my ipod touch than with my Vista machine or windows 7 machine. For OSX to be buggier than my windows machine despite dealing with much fewer hardware combinations is weird. For an IOS machine (ipod touch 4th gen) to be buggier than either of my windows machines is unforgivable.  

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Wip3out Sep 18, 2012, 08:45 swedishfriend

They closed this studio after the ps2 game and then again after wipeout HD (before fury). I have no doubt that the original guys will make a new wipeout for the ps4 so nothing new here.

189 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo