Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Karl J. S.

Real Name Karl J. S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swedishfriend
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Smart, loving and confident.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 29, 2005, 17:37
Total Comments 189 (Novice)
User ID 23407

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 9, 2011, 17:54 swedishfriend

So encouraging people to spend money at local tibetan restaurant and saving money which they encourage you to give to charity thereby helping people from tibet and people in tibet is tasteless how? Those commercials were great if you actually pay attention to the content. 90% of commercials these days are actively working against the product they advertise if you look at the actual content past the style. In these the style may be off-putting but the content is right on and these are the ones people complain about. Since when is the style actually more important than the content?... the end must be near.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation - not cheating Feb 2, 2011, 09:23 swedishfriend

Letting others use your account is not cheating. When friends visit it is not unreasonable for everyone to take turns playing on-line games. Letting your friend who is really good at something do that which is hard for you to do is basic gamer behavior since games had stuff to unlock.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization PSP2 Nov 30, 2010, 00:04 swedishfriend

Was a while ago now that the PSP2 was said to have touch controls on the back which would make more sense for a gaming device since you wouldn't be covering the screen. Very easy to put your fingers on the back of something you hold and intuitively know where to point to what corresponds to a point right in front of your finger. try it with a regular PSP and realize it would be even easier if it was thinner. It will be nothing compared to the 3DS unless it does 3D and has stereo cameras on the back like the 3DS. With cameras like that a game can get a 3D version of what the gamer sees behind and around the screen which lets a game mix 3d graphics into a 3d video of the environment the gamer is in. Imagine a game where the 3DS works like a window through which you can see your own room but with objects that are only revealed through looking through that window. "Ghost Scope"TM for example. The game can see the room in 3D so it can have ghosts peeking out from behind the couch or fleeing around a corner. and when you move the 3DS around the screen shows the video feed from the stereo camera with the game's graphics composited in displayed in 3D so it would look as if you can look around your room and see things normally hidden when you look through your "ghost Scope" TM.
-karl

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse - Google TV remote Oct 7, 2010, 04:28 swedishfriend

Netflix on my PS3 lets me search for movies using text input. With the regular controller it is easy to find anything within a few seconds. There is no need for a qwerty keyboard to do searches if the interface is well designed! Even my super-fast typing wife who uses mostly netflix on the PC can do searches just as fast on the PS3.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 29, 2010, 11:26 swedishfriend

there is no enforcement so no surprise. Here in Illinois we have had a hands free law for years but I have never seen nor heard about a single person getting a ticket. At any intersection you can see people talking on their cell right in front of the police. My former boss would be pissed because I don't want to talk on the cell while driving before I had a hands free option. He expected me to be an idiot just like everyone else. As long as this is the norm people won't stop and so no less crashes.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 16, 2010, 14:06 swedishfriend

And my kickass printer only has drivers for XP.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. 3D Sep 15, 2010, 11:36 swedishfriend

They could use the polarized glasses instead of the LCD shutters. That would make for cheaper and more stylish glasses. Manufacturers don't because it is easier to double the refresh rate than to double the resolution either horizontally or vertically. I would like to see regular TV shows and movies in 3D. I think it does add something to any scene. I like 3D in regular shots more than when they use it to poke things at me. I would love to see talk shows, dramas, comedies, everything use 3D in as natural of a way as possible.

However, like one commenter wrote I agree that there are some things that may be more important to get working before 3D. Like surround sound in a streaming service like Netflix. The only reason they don't do it already is that there is no secure video container that can do 5.1 or better sound. Why they need a secure format is beyond me, any person who wants to capture such a stream can still figure out how to do it, and the rest of us wouldn't know the difference other than we would get surround sound. Even before DVDs we had dolby 5.1 surround sound encoded on the analogue laserdiscs. Now with HD streams we have to go back to stereo sound, mind boggling.
-Karl

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Cheap broadband Sep 5, 2010, 19:47 swedishfriend

also do they count the 22% unemployment rate when figuring out average income in the USA? (that is the rate as of last week if you don't exclude people who have been without work for more than a few months which the official figures do exclude).  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Cheap broadband Sep 5, 2010, 19:44 swedishfriend

They compare the cheapest broadband available in each country to the average income in that country. In the USA that might be a 384Kb/s plan in Sweden that might be a 20Mb/s plan and they don't adjust for the different speeds. They only count the price of the cheapest broadband available. WTF is the point of a comparison like that other than to serve corporations who don't have enough competition.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2010, 13:30 swedishfriend

Modern family portrays a family that would be considered modern 15-20 years ago in a format that is totally old school sit-com formula. I still like it even though I am never surprised by any jokes or situations. The power of good execution.  

3. Re: EA policy Aug 26, 2010, 11:07 swedishfriend

So 365 days a year of marketing comes out of a "policy against communicating directly with consumers"? He must mean something other than what he is saying.  

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: piracy Jul 30, 2010, 15:57 swedishfriend

When I was in 4th grade we would copy c64 games. All the popular kids did this. We still bought games to the degree we could afford or get as presents. Copying was rampant those days, the amiga days, early PC days until now. Games are still made and usually are cheaper now than they used to be so I don't think sharing is going to kill anything anytime soon. With all the people I shared games with I never met anyone who didn't also buy as much as they could afford. Because of the rise of demos I cannot remember the last time I downloaded a pirated version of a game. But I do remember the last several were all to make games I had payed for be playable without the DRM (no CD hacks, etc.). I say make demos easily available. Put donation buttons on your website. Don't sweat non-commercial copying / sharing. Talk to your fans and do other things to encourage people to spend money. DRM and the like doesn't stop your game from ending up cracked and shared as soon as it is available so don't piss off your customers if you can help it.

-Karl

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode Three Hints?
29. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode Three Hints? Jul 22, 2010, 19:20 swedishfriend

nope.  

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode Three Hints?
28. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode Three Hints? Jul 22, 2010, 19:18 swedishfriend

I think Half-life came out a bit more than 3 years ago . Valve has always taken their time which is why their games are so polished.  

News Comments > PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming?
5. Re: PC Player Dominance Killed Cross-Platform Gaming? Jul 22, 2010, 12:12 swedishfriend

I played UT3 on PS3 with a mouse to aim and controller to move, not great. I want an analogue stick on my keyboard yesterday!!! Having the great aiming of a mouse but only 4 button movement is half-assed!  

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 21, 2010, 14:16 swedishfriend

Re: verizon
God forbid your customer service people should serve the customer.

re: mobile 3d
if the viewer is in one general spot you don't need glasses so mobile is actually a better use of 3D until they can come up with better technology for the bigger screens.

1. Re: PS3 already has more users May 27, 2010, 22:21 swedishfriend

Just over 6million xbox360 sales are replacements for broken consoles. That was over a year ago so probably even more by now. This means the installed user base of PS3 is already bigger than that of the xbox360... Gotta love those analysts...I guess the total sales of a loss-leader console is more important than the number of potential software buyers. It isn't as if the console manufacturers get $10 a game sold and rely on licensing fees like these to make money. Oh, wait, that is exactly what they do.  

1. Re: Magical iPad May 5, 2010, 07:07 swedishfriend

If it was magical it wouldn't need to be so heavy!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Man Oct 26, 2009, 11:53 swedishfriend

if there was a f-ing orgy going on in plain view it still does not hurt anyone including the kid. the only thing that might hurt the child is the reaction of his or her parents. Oh look at those peple in their own home having fun like only grown ups can have is what i would say and keep walking... F-ing puritanical prudes messing up their kids by having strange reactions to natural behavior.

Plus he was on his own private property in his own house for crying out loud! Is there not some constitutional protection there?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Netflix for PS3 Oct 26, 2009, 11:38 swedishfriend

it is free if you are already a netflix subscriber. The disc is also free and is a temporary fix until they build a player into the xmb.  

189 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo