Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Karl J. S.

Real Name Karl J. S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swedishfriend
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description Smart, loving and confident.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 29, 2005, 17:37
Total Comments 203 (Novice)
User ID 23407

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 18, 2013, 12:11 swedishfriend

office 2013 will be locked to a single machine? I don't think that will hold up to any push back whatsoever. Have to wait for updates? so MS wants to create an extra threat vector? if half its users don't go for the 365 version are they still going to treat 2013 users as second class? these possible warnings about office 2013 are all based on the assumption that 95% of the users will switch to a subscription model... We want to make things worse for you but better for us so won't you help make that happen by believing our FUD?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 11:59 swedishfriend

Consoles don't need as much power to get better results because programmers will get much closer to the hardware. The general consensus From people who review both PC and console games is that no hardware you can buy today will be enough to run the games that are coming for the new consoles. They are saying don't upgrade until next year to be ready for the next generation of games...  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 12, 2013, 04:11 swedishfriend

How many low budget downloadable games have demos? 100% or so. How many disc only games are there and how many of them have demos? Not as many. What we really are seeing is that there are more shitty games that have demos than quality games with demos. There is no general rule that makes having a demo absolutely detrimental to sales. If your game isn't worth buying then a demo will hurt sales otherwise it will help.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Results: AC3 Sells > 12 Million Units; New AC Coming
6. Re: Ubisoft Results: AC3 Sells > 12 Million Units; New AC Coming Feb 8, 2013, 00:48 swedishfriend

Looks like the 12 million figure includes about 3 million digital downloads!  

News Comments > More NPD 2012 Sales Analysis
5. Re: More NPD 2012 Sales Analysis Feb 6, 2013, 12:43 swedishfriend

These are great numbers! People had so much less money to spend overall and yet sales are just barely down. This bodes well for 2013 since hiring has been increasing so much in the last year.  

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 6, 2013, 12:29 swedishfriend

Europe requires that you can re-sell even downloaded games and I would expect that those kinds of rules will spread. Why try to stop used game sales so late in the game? I would focus my efforts on working out a scheme that will satisfy the EU and implement that all over the world instead. Aim for features the future will require not for the features of the past.  

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's REDengine3 Details - The Witcher 3 Image?
19. Re: CD Projekt RED's REDengine3 Details - The Witcher 3 Image? Feb 1, 2013, 17:33 swedishfriend

Well it is good to see more and more examples of what next gen consoles are expected to be able to handle.  

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2013, 17:26 swedishfriend

Krizzen wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 14:50:
Yeah, Direct3D is definitely still around and will be. DirectInput, DirectPlay, and DirectSound are rarely used anymore. Lots of games use SDL, RakNet, and fmod respectively, while still rendering with Direct3D or OpenGL.

Good info! This was exactly what I was wondering about.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation, ps3 Jan 21, 2013, 14:23 swedishfriend

So one processor with cpu/gpu combined and some additional "special" processor. Maybe a cell processor so they can emulate PS3 games? Without a Cell or some special made processor there will be no backwards compatibility for PS3 games which might be kinda important considering all the people who may be expecting their PSN bought games to work when they get the new machine.  

1. Re: Evening Consolidation, here to stay Jan 9, 2013, 21:18 swedishfriend

Kaz is right. The console market has grown along with the mobile platforms. I expect that people getting used to playing games through their phones will lead to more gamers in general which will be good for consoles at least until we see a major revolution in chip manufacturing to allow for much smaller/low-power processors.  

News Comments > Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled
10. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 04:34 swedishfriend

If this was not windows but OS dedicated to playing games(console style) they could get away with 1/4th the power to get similar end result and sell it more reasonably. Maybe this is what one version of the next xbox will look like for $600?  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 5, 2012, 01:37 swedishfriend

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 19:02:
TheEmissary wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:26:
People have the right opportunity to get paid and compensated for content and material they produce.

FTFY.

There is no such "right" that exists, whether naturally or decreed by law, that says you will automagically have gold fall from the sky simply because you create something.

Plus no one creates something on their own. No person is really separate from any other person or thing in the universe. If one of my pieces of music is shared by millions on the internet I should be able to figure out a way to make a living but I certainly wouldn't and shouldn't feel I was owed anything.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 20, 2012, 14:36 swedishfriend

I have more problems with my macbook and my ipod touch than with my Vista machine or windows 7 machine. For OSX to be buggier than my windows machine despite dealing with much fewer hardware combinations is weird. For an IOS machine (ipod touch 4th gen) to be buggier than either of my windows machines is unforgivable.  

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Wip3out Sep 18, 2012, 08:45 swedishfriend

They closed this studio after the ps2 game and then again after wipeout HD (before fury). I have no doubt that the original guys will make a new wipeout for the ps4 so nothing new here.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Sep 15, 2012, 16:30 swedishfriend

Fair price would be well over $1000. The only reason you get anything like it cheaper is because of terribly unfair wages in China.  

News Comments > Amnesia Postmortem - Piracy? "Screw It"
10. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 13, 2012, 22:03 swedishfriend

I know, right. 100,000 is an amazing amount of copies to sell and they managed over a million with virtually no advertising budget. Truly astounding!  

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 14:55 swedishfriend

People have much less money these days than during the Wii launch so don't expect Wii-U to have the same kind of success.  

News Comments > Eight-Figure CoD Settlement?
5. Re: Eight-Figure CoD Settlement? Jul 31, 2012, 20:51 swedishfriend

Better be in the hundreds of millions.  

News Comments > EA to "Be a 100% Digital Company, Period"
36. Re: EA to "Be a 100% Digital Company, Period" Jul 3, 2012, 01:34 swedishfriend

This is at least 5 years away probably more like 10 years. Many still only have access to dial-up never mind broadband fast enough to download the 20-50GB file sizes that will be standard in the next few years... He just said it would happen eventually which people have been saying for at least 10 years. It was just as true then as it is now.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
17. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2012, 12:19 swedishfriend

They didn't raid the wrong home due to an open Wi-Fi network. They raided the wrong home because they are dumb and careless and because a judge gave them a search warrant based solely on an IP address.  

203 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo