Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jeremy Star

Real Name Jeremy Star   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Agent.X7
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description PS4 and PC gamer. Add me to your friends list! Or don't. Also into music (playing and listening), hiking, firearms, movies, and writing/reading.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jun 28, 2005, 16:58
Total Comments 2961 (Senior)
User ID 23400

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 15:30 Agent.X7

KS wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 15:23:
Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 15:02:
Cutter wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 13:46:
At its core, cultural appropriation is treating cultures like a pick-and-mix grab bag of ideas for the dominant majority culture (almost always white)

That's that article in a nutshell. White liberal guilt hipster denounces Whitey as the source of all that's bad in the world. Gee, shocker. Rolleyes

This guy said it really well....

That's how cultural exchange works - you use bits and pieces from other groups of people and fuse it with other stuff. Sichuan cuisine, for example, exists because somebody brought hot peppers from the Americas over to China, where they were promptly assimilated and woven into the cuisine. Or think of fusion cuisine in general, like the food trucks that combine Korean and Mexican food around here.

It only feels like appropriation to me if you're actually claiming to be the original source of something. But I read a lot of broad accusations of it.

And this guy....

I've heard Mexican people saying they don't give a flying fuck if others want to celebrate Día de Muertos. And here we have Halloween parties, completely out of context.

I'm from Argentina. One of the latest winners of the Tango World Cup was a japanese couple. You won't hear ANYONE complain about japanese people "appropriating" our culture. On the contrary, people here are happy our stuff is known all over the world. Even Schwarzenegger doing random shit to the tune of Por una Cabeza in True Lies is only ever seen as funny. I don't think I know ANYONE who was offended by that.

Exactly. Man, this new bullshit PC era so needs to fucking die...yet again.

I can't believe I'm responding to you, but you picked the beginning sentences and ignored the rest.

Cultural appropriation is taking someone's culture and treating it like a costume or a gimmick. There's a stark difference between that and exchanging ideas, such as your sichuan example.

It is called borrowing an idea. It is one thing to make a racist portrayal, and quite another to borrow a colorful attire because it looks nice. Or cool. Or scary.

There is nothing wrong with that. It is a made up offense that people have to be "educated" to take offense at, and only then can you play an asinine guilt game with the "offenders" of the newly-educated "offendee".

YES!

Cultural appropriation is basically a bullshit excuse for angry people to get "offended" and worked up over. You A) Have no right to not be offended, despite what a lot of people think and B) actually have to choose to be offended. Which is a lot more work that just ignoring things that probably have nothing to do with you in the first place.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2016, 13:12 Agent.X7

Pigeon wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 13:08:
I don't advocate hard break checks, but that was pretty satisfying to watch. I had someone tailgating me bad last week, I should have popped my trunk and asked if they wanted in.

I just generally take my foot off the gas and let my Jeep slow down. Sometimes way down. They usually get the hint.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2016, 13:09 Agent.X7

gsilver wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 12:55:
I'm all for the merging of Xbox and PC platforms. It'll be great to see the X1 run all of the unified games, and for those that have the money, also run them on the PC, but better.

Exclusives harm everyone, so tearing down barriers to make things more universal can only be a positive move.

Unless the games perform terribly, but I've heard that the new Tomb Raider is a unified app, and it runs alright.

TOmb Raider ran pretty rough on the XBone. Haven't played it on PC yet.

I have a PS4. I like it for the console exclusive games I can't get on my PC. Honestly, if there were no exclusive games, I'd probably just stream my PC to my TV if I wanted to play from the couch.

That being said, I have to agree that you cannot touch the console experience without spending a lot more money on a PC. Just one of my video cards would get you an XBox One bundle.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

9. Re: A dozen states are considering getting rid of daylight saving time. Is that a good thing? Mar 12, 2016, 18:44 Agent.X7

jimnms wrote on Mar 12, 2016, 14:03:
The sun would rise earlier, giving farmers an extra hour of daylight to work.

Umm, farmers don't work by the clock, they go to work when the sun comes up and quit when it goes down, no matter what time it is.

Yeah, that's not even close to being how it works. This is a crazy thing people believe that has its roots in history. Electricity has been invented, we are no longer beholden to the sun's whims. Join us in 2015 brother, behold the power of the wattage!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2016, 14:39 Agent.X7

Capella wrote on Mar 10, 2016, 10:24:
Cool bit of trivia there Blue. So that is kind of like E.T. eating Reese's Pieces instead of M &M's I guess.

Yeah, did not know that. Think how popular Popeye might be right now, instead of a relative unknown.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

News Comments > The Division Tips
22. Re: The Division Tips Mar 9, 2016, 18:37 Agent.X7

Darks wrote on Mar 9, 2016, 15:48:
HoSpanky wrote on Mar 9, 2016, 15:04:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 9, 2016, 12:20:
I am running a single 970 and everything set to the max, 1080p.
The benchmark tool gave me avg 60fps
Might have vsync enabled forgot to check.

Not sure why you are getting bad performance with your cards.
I am running Win10 and the second last Nvidia drivers.
I didn't install the ones they've just came out with yesterday

although the almost-constant fuckup at launch for SLI makes me wonder why I bought this game day 1.

All I can say to this comment is, if you feel that way then good luck getting most any game from day one to work with SLI. SLI is not the industry standard for gaming. Only high end users with money to waste use it. most are more then happy using one card versus fighting with getting SLI to work properly.

Maybe you should play on a console? you might be happier in the end.

Except my pair of 970s was cheaper than 1 980 and for the most part the performance is better. Some of you have SLI envy, I swear. You guys bash it every chance you get.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

News Comments > Fable Legends Cancelled; Lionhead May Close
16. Re: Fable Legends Cancelled; Lionhead May Close Mar 7, 2016, 17:24 Agent.X7

Loved Fable 1,2, and 3. Maybe if they had made 2 available for PC, and had made Fable 4 instead of dicking around on a Kinect Fable thing and then the XBone exclusive (and later non-exclusive) Fable thing they wouldn't be in such financial dire straights.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

News Comments > Grim Dawn Dawns
27. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 5, 2016, 01:22 Agent.X7

Bought tonight. My eyes are bleeding and I can't stop playing. Love it. Loved TQ too.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

News Comments > Into the Black
36. Re: Into the Black Mar 4, 2016, 11:43 Agent.X7

Kosumo wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 00:27:
But it was a family movie.

How old where you when you seen it?

They sold toys (heaps of them) It became a kids cartoon show.

Angry Joe is like his name - Angry, it's what he does (did not look to me like he was every going to like it.)

The page I like to also likes to the page you said - the movie was still rated PG (at lest here in New Zealand)

A cartoon and toys is your method of determining that the movie was family? Dude, you do know that in the 80s they turned the following R rated movies into cartoons and toys, right?

Robocop - yeah, super family friendly!
Rambo - Yup, 5/5 would show my 5 year old.
Conan the Barbarian - What is best in life?
James Bond - Pussy Galore?
Police Academy
Toxic Avenger

I mean, the list goes on.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

News Comments > Black Desert Online Launches
25. Re: Black Desert Online Launches Mar 4, 2016, 11:35 Agent.X7

Retired wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 10:16:
Hmmm. Played for a bit early this AM. I think I am getting to old to play these games. The game doesn't seem polished yet though. Felt as though it was still being worked on.

I spent 30 minutes customizing my character only to have him show up in game as the default wizard. Still shows in selection as the way I customized him, but not in game.

And that voice acting. It's like a bad anime voiceover. I started chanting shutup,shutup,shutup over every voiceover.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

16. Re: Black Desert Online Launches Mar 4, 2016, 01:31 Agent.X7

MacLeod wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 20:24:
Retired wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 19:19:
Anyone share a friend code so I can try this out?

I can send you one. Let me know how to send it to you.

Thanks, MacLeod!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

12. Re: Black Desert Online Launches Mar 4, 2016, 00:00 Agent.X7

Retired wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 23:34:
MacLeod wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 20:24:
Retired wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 19:19:
Anyone share a friend code so I can try this out?

I can send you one. Let me know how to send it to you.

Wow thank you so much! That was very kind of you.

/Is it just me, or is the artwork on the website and the launcher a carbon copy or stolen assets from Guild Wars?

Yup, they copied the watercolor style that GW2 has for artwork, and the website is pretty similar as far as design.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Mar 3, 2016, 21:38 Agent.X7

Kosumo wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 21:34:
Well excuse them if they thinking that there is plenty of people under 25 years of age who have not seen the original and maybe keen to see a new, of their time, version of the story.

Grumpy old men are here for sure.

P.S. can you guys not see things for other peoples point of view? - i.e. this is a family film for TODAYS families, (like the oringnil) not 30-45 year old geeks.

You think Ghostbusters was a family film?

Anyway, I liked th eone bit in the library, and that was it. The pistols-akimbo, licking the pistol, the power fist, the lame, LAME jokes. (THe power of pain compels you? Good God.) Rental at best, just to see the trainwreck.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

7. Re: Black Desert Online Launches Mar 3, 2016, 21:33 Agent.X7

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 21:28:
I'll throw my hat in there as well if anyone has a pass.

What he said.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

News Comments > Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10
28. Re: Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10 Mar 2, 2016, 19:29 Agent.X7

So, apparently MS wants to make XBone and PC the same. They are basically going to be making everything for both and making them cross compatible.

http://tinyurl.com/zuskxmn

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2016, 14:08 Agent.X7

When I was a kid I used to chug Pepsi and then belch that line. I can't tell you the number of times my mom smacked me for that in restaraunts.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

News Comments > Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10
12. Re: Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10 Mar 2, 2016, 14:04 Agent.X7

nin wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 10:24:
If I'm reading the fuckometer right, it's registering as zero.

Let me check again - yep, zero fucks.

Didn't mind the first one, but then they never gave us PC folk the sequels. Doesn't look like they plan to, but they still want to try to milk a re-release on PC. Fuck. That.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2016, 19:48 Agent.X7

"Everything was fine with our system until dick-less here shut off the power grid."
"They caused an explosion!"
"Is this true?"
"Yes, it's true. This man has no dick."

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

News Comments > Dream Theater Game Plans
9. Re: Dream Theater Game Plans Mar 1, 2016, 19:40 Agent.X7

AgentCooper wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 17:09:
Dream Theater has always been and always will be pretentious heavy handed masturbatory schlock

To each their own. They are one of my favorite bands, although this newest album is my least favorite by them. I've been listening since I saw them in a local club in upstate NY in 1992.

This game, however, seems like a lame idea at best.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2016, 22:20 Agent.X7

Flatline wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 19:51:
Cutter wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:58:
That's why I quit IT, there's no future in it here. Food, clothing, shelter, the 3 main staples people will always need. Find work in one of those fields. Most of my family are tradesmen, they make great money and never lack for work.

Same with having a family. You're nuts to have one. At the very least keep it to 1 kid. The future is just too uncertain in the first world anymore.

And I agree we're going to see massive moves in robotics replacing workers all around.

Get some land. Learn to be self-sufficient. Re-learn lost skills.

Will Bonsall's Essential Guide to Radical, Self-Reliant Gardening: Innovative Techniques for Growing Vegetables, Grains, and Perennial Food Crops with Minimal Fossil Fuel and Animal Inputs

Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Time-Honored Ways are the Best - Over 700 Recipes Show You Why

I still have a goodly amount of family that live out in the wilds who hunt - that's next on my list to learn to do - and produce their own food. They have a few acres, virtually no overhead, no debt, and lead simple lives. That's how to live.

Oh. A prepper.

And yet, suddenly, 100% of the shit Cutter spews makes perfect sense now.

You take that back! Cutter, you will always make nonsense to me!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

2961 Comments. 149 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo