Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bob

Real Name Bob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname LittleMe
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 15, 2005, 08:15
Total Comments 5227 (Guru)
User ID 23321

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Halo 5: Forge PC Specs
3. Re: Halo 5: Forge PC Specs Aug 27, 2016, 13:33 LittleMe

This is how Microsoft is saving PC gaming, again! I feel safer now.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 26, 2016, 14:42 LittleMe

NetHead wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 12:12:
Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 10:30:
I still say this sort of drone thing is a bad idea. Besides the further unemployment it creates...

I'm sorry cutter but, I'm going to put it politely, that's damned silly.

That is the worst excuse for such things. Maybe we shouldn't use fridges, remember how all those ice workers lost their jobs, an entire industry wiped out, it even affected other industries like transport. Many such examples.

The robots are coming, also anyone who things they'll stop at "labour" related jobs has their heads in the sand. Non labour related jobs are even cheaper and easier to replace with computers. White collar, blue collar it doesn't matter, the less physical the job the less hardware/maintenance costs, no physical labour get ready to be replaced by remote cloud computing.

If one country doesn't make and use the tech another will and put others to shame, industrial revolution all over again except bigger and humans need not apply.

It could lead to anything from a virtual utopia to another world war.

This. If the economy doesn't support enough jobs then there are other causes. Greater efficiency is good. We used to be %96 farmers. Think of all those lost farmer jobs from mechanization! No it's not that simple.

If job creation is less than job obsolescence then the first place to look at the barriers and inhibitors to job creation.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched
47. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched Aug 24, 2016, 16:48 LittleMe

Jerykk wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:25:
I love how people are saying this game is unoptimized because they can't run it at max settings at 60 FPS. Max settings are not standardized between games. Just because you can run one game at max settings doesn't mean you can run another game at max settings. Also, just because you have a high-end GPU doesn't mean you will always be able to run games at max settings (see aforementioned lack of standardized max settings).

Honestly, reactions like this are likely to cause developers to simply remove their highest settings and rename their lower settings. If "High" was the highest setting available in DX:MD, nobody would be complaining.

This. The issue is made worse by performance review sites who only test on ultra settings and say a game is unplayable if it drops to 30fps at ultra when the game would run at fine at very high or high. I've seen many people complain a game is unplayable and decry their video card as 'useless' because they can't play at ultra settings.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Tempest
1. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Tempest Aug 22, 2016, 18:33 LittleMe

Here's some Tempest gameplay! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q2w8Bh_dJc

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2016, 18:39.

News Comments > PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power
28. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 18:29 LittleMe

Yeah it's going to make motherboards more expensive. Anal retentive pc builders who don't want cables rejoice, the rest of us have to pay more and I think there will be motherboards that will not be designed well and ripple the current or catch fire or who knows what... That's a lot of current for a motherboard. I like the present 75w design just fine!  

News Comments > PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power
14. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 13:23 LittleMe

What's this going to do for PSU requirements? If someone is using a low power card, will they still be required to get a 500W+ PSU just because PCIe 4 motherboard requires it? That's what it appears to do. Is there a option in the spec to drop to 75w or less?  

News Comments > Warhammer: 40,000 Eternal Crusade Next Month
5. Re: Warhammer: 40,000 Eternal Crusade Next Month Aug 20, 2016, 16:19 LittleMe

Looks like they ran out of money and that seems likely to doom it.

It could perhaps one day be great fun, sort of like Planetside 2 in WH4K universe. BUT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG2GnB42360

Performance is terrible, and they're skipping from alpha straight to release. No thorough beta and release candidate stages. I wouldn't touch this with a ten mile pole. I want to buy it if it's actually good and polished, but.. That's not happening any time soon. That's unfortunate because I like what they're going for.

News Comments > Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews
39. Re: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews Aug 19, 2016, 15:52 LittleMe

Cutter wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 15:30:
I really wasn't impressed with the other one so I'm in no rush to get to this. In fact I suspect it'll just be more of the same, cover shooter where your "options" to approach a map are really just A or B.

Same. Wanted to like HR. Couldn't get into it despite the rave reviews. Good port, meh gameplay. At full price it better be good. There's so many games right now that are just as or more fun for a lot less money.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 19, 2016, 00:16 LittleMe

They protect their own... Continuity and fortification of power and revenue often comes before justice.  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Open Beta This Month
14. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta This Month Aug 16, 2016, 03:17 LittleMe

Wait for reviews. Wait for reviews.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Aug 13, 2016, 16:52 LittleMe

I suspect that Sony being behind this is why the press treated it so glowingly. Indie studio maybe, but not an indie distributor by a long shot. From wikipedia:

Murray stated that although Sony offered to provide financial support, he and Hello Games only wanted Sony's commitment to help market the game, including having the game formally introduced at Sony's main media event during the upcoming Electronic Entertainment Expo 2014 (E3); until that point, no independently-developed game has been demonstrated during these center-stage events.[4][5] Sony's UK marketing director Fergal Gara has stated that Sony is fully committed to supporting the title, treating the game as if it were from one of their first-party developers and considering a potential retail release of the game.[48]

With the economy as it is, is the gaming press forced to kiss the Sony money ring nowadays?

News Comments > Assault Squad 2: Men of War Origins This Month
1. Re: Assault Squad 2: Men of War Origins This Month Aug 13, 2016, 14:04 LittleMe

The original is a great RTS, my favorite of the MoW games. I'm very glad they're remixing it but I'm not sure about this. I have a feeling it will be priced at $20 which is too high for me but $10 is doable. They should discount it for those who own the original.

I see under recommended specs only supports two cores so the engine, while "vastly" upgraded, still can't utilize four cores? Well if it plays well without stuttering, then that's fine. IIRC it used to get chunky with lots of AI units. We'll see how it performs.

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Preorders
1. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Preorders Aug 13, 2016, 04:25 LittleMe

Best to preorder this on the rear end of the development.  

News Comments > Overwatch Tick Rate Increasing
7. Re: Overwatch Tic Rate Increasing Aug 13, 2016, 02:58 LittleMe

Bishi wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 19:37:
I think you'll find its 'tick', no one in Overwatch is having facial spasms.

Blue is using the old school naming.

News Comments > Overwatch Tick Rate Increasing
6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2016, 02:51 LittleMe

DrSquick wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 22:40:
I'm not an expert on this at all, but 1000ms/63 ticks is 15ms. Does that mean we will need a 15ms ping to the server or we will have lost ticks? If so, that's pretty aggressive I think!

No it doesn't work that way. They aren't lost if your ping is higher than 15ms. Read this reddit post for a much better description of what is changed:

Overwatch servers were always 60tick though. The issue is that the client used a cmdrate of only 20, which meant that clients only saw 20 of those 60 ticks and had to guess to fill in the gaps (this is called interpolation and lerp). This lead to huge mispredictions (where the client realizes it wasn't right and the server was, so the client snaps back to the correct value from the server). This is most evident in situations here you appear to get shot behind walls and appear to use an ability to save yourself even though it doesn't actually fire in time, even if it does on your screen.

And here is another post that gives good specifics.

Tickrate, cmdrate, and updaterate are all completely different.

Tickrate is the number of frames or ticks the server renders per second. A higher number means more accurate fast-paced action. In Overwatch this value is 60 and always was. In TF2 it's 66.

Cmdrate is the number of those ticks that the client actually receives per second. This can be lower than the tickrate and in Overwatch it was 20, it's now 60. In TF2 this is by default 66 but can be lowered. If this value is lower than the tickrate and the client framerate then the client does its best to predict frames between each tick it gets sent so that the action isn't jittery. These actions are called lerp in video games, or interpolation in general.

Updaterate is the number of times the client sends its own input to the server - for instance, your shooting, movements, and aiming. This can be any value from 1 to the tickrate. In TF2 this is 66 and in Overwatch this is 60 and always has been.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Aug 9, 2016, 13:39 LittleMe

Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 11:52:
Oh no, far from it. They release new playable builds like every other week, and they're making very good progress with it. It's just that it's basically turned into a full-on MMO (that for now you can still play offline) rather than the single player game they'd basically originally promised, and it's an MMO that's about 100% pay to win.

Look for a world that, the day it officially starts, will have every single square inch of land filled with player houses. ie, exactly the same thing that happened with UO, only there it took a long time to happen. Here, since they're letting people buy entire towns with real money, it'll be the fucking Bronx about two hours after the official start.

In the end, I was hoping he'd recapture the Ultima magic, and he's not, so that sucks, but oh well. It was worth spending 30 bucks on at the time with the possibility that he'd do something great with it.

Yes. This. SotA is making good progress. It's starting to be fun to play. It has potential but the 2016 predicted release is too soon. If they have to force a release this year it could hurt the game.

I abhor the camera inertia in it right now. The inertia makes it feel laggy. Also the interface is difficult to use as the pop up windows and esc key to close are poorly implemented.

Just on the risky hope that RG will lead us to another great Ultima-like game was perhaps worth the 30 investment. We'll see.

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Issues
2. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Issues Aug 7, 2016, 13:11 LittleMe

ItBurn wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 12:59:
"Tim Sweeney thinks Microsoft will make Steam "progressively worse" with Windows 10 patches"

LOL yes and they're going to the next step here. Microsoft is making Windows 10 progressively worse with Windows 10 patches.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 6, 2016, 00:29 LittleMe

The 1080 custom card roundup is good! Want to see nV do more of that.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 6, 2016, 00:28 LittleMe

jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 17:08:
I think that it's strange that Valve doesn't spend its billions on a high-performing Wine alternative. If they truly feel threatened by Windows, this is the way to go. It allows people to install Linux, have access to all their legacy titles, and allows Valve full control over their client. Win-win-win.

Yes I'm disappointed but not surprised that SteamOS is not making much of a dent. It was mostly huff and puff but when all the cards fell, Valve wasn't very (monetarily or otherwise) committed to moving PC gaming to Linux. It would take at least a billion dollars (not exaggerating) to get the industry to take them seriously on several fronts.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Aug 6, 2016, 00:11 LittleMe

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 20:28:
LittleMe wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 20:10:
If someone is foolish enough to preorder it, they need to use a service that allows you to contest the charge weeks or months afterwards if it is a disappointment.
If you have zero impulse control and pre-order a turd, you should have to eat it.

True, to a point. What I meant to say is that if it comes out that the game is nothing like what was advertised or has game-breaking issues or whatnot, then having a way to get your money back is good.

Why are people preordering this when we've been burned so frequently in the past few years? As you say, poor impulse control....

5227 Comments. 262 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo