Descending
Limit Results:

6 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: John Mayer
Jun 8, 2008, 00:24
Re: John Mayer Jun 8, 2008, 00:24
Jun 8, 2008, 00:24

I'm struck by the paradox here. On one hand, we have 'murder simulators' teaching our kids to be hardened killers. But on the other hand, we have GH which will never teach our kids to play guitar. Which is it, do games teach, or not teach skill? Can we have he and Jack discuss it somewhere?

I can't understand bashing a game. Are the musicians afraid of a flood of talent, like maybe GH can really teach playing guitar (laughable). Or maybe it is about music, popularity, and royalties.

As for the Ferrari, I think they are more fun in video games. I don't have to worry about traffic tickets, insurance, the price of gas, maintenance, or what happens when I loose control at 160 and crash

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 00:26.

Re: Rootkit hiding
May 10, 2008, 22:35
Re: Rootkit hiding May 10, 2008, 22:35
May 10, 2008, 22:35

I'd like to see some details about what they tested on to get their handler into the system. I though that area is normally locked before a PC exits the POST process. So then this would fall into the realm of a BIOS hack. There have been plenty of articles about BIOS hacks and what usally comes out of them that only a small handful of mainboards would be vulnerable to the hack, not the multitudes that there are with an OS level hack.

Edit: I do see they say that the attack would have to be targeted in the article. But it's very brief.

This comment was edited on May 10, 22:47.

Re: revolution controller
Sep 18, 2005, 22:36
Re: revolution controller Sep 18, 2005, 22:36
Sep 18, 2005, 22:36

I am indeed aware that the power glove was not Nintendo, it was Mattel IIRC. I suspect the reason you bring this up is that as a third party device, there is a total lack of 1st party support for it. I don't think software is the big issue though. The usability of the controller is what matters. Other controllers that have tried to map 3D space have always had a few kinks to work out, and I'm concerned that Nintendo really has addressed these. If everything works, calibration does not turn out ot be an issue, and it can handle the sharp violent input from players, the controller could be a great innovation. If not, then it's just a gimmick.
This comment was edited on Sep 18, 22:37.

revolution controller
Sep 18, 2005, 16:37
revolution controller Sep 18, 2005, 16:37
Sep 18, 2005, 16:37

I remember a controller that was supposed to be somthing a bit like the Revolution's controller....for the NES. The power glove may look totally different, but the principal of use is esentally the same. The movements of your hand and arm become input for the game. The power glove had its problems then, has the big N worked them out for their new controller?

voltron got served, news?
Jul 10, 2005, 23:18
voltron got served, news? Jul 10, 2005, 23:18
Jul 10, 2005, 23:18

I saw this on the premiere of Robot Chicken.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 23:19.

Re: No subject
Jun 7, 2005, 01:18
Re: No subject Jun 7, 2005, 01:18
Jun 7, 2005, 01:18

The problem is that the entire premise of this stuff is that the games make the kids bad. That probably is not the case. Consider Mortal Kombat when it was released for the SNES vs the Genesis. Nintendo figured they could dictate culture, they were wrong. The law is basically the same thing, trying to dictate culture. If there were no violent video games, kids would just go elsewhere. It's been seen in TV too, look at Disney, Nickelodeon, ect. As soon as someone believes their company is so big that they can dictate culture to the kids, the kids simply go elsewhere. The media must resonate with the culture, or so I was taught in my media classes.

Parenting might be a place to start, but consider that both parents are working in many cases. This may or not be justified, but it is the way things have become. Also, consider the number of marriages that end in divorce. The end result is a limit on how much time a parents can/will spend with children. Then there is the hostile school environment. Anyone remember the idea of outcome based education? I know they were considering it in my state, but parents protested that they didn't want their children labeled. Then there is the 'one size fits all' attitude of teaching in public schools. (not that there aren't great teachers out there, but there are a lot who approach it as 'it's a job' as well) That many bored kids, forced by law to be in close quarters with inadequate social training leads to very bad things.
But video games are so much easier to attack and look like you are trying to deal with the problem than slogging through the bureaucracy and trying to understand the real problems.

I wonder if Mr. Thompson read comic books in his youth….

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 01:23.
6 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older