Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant

Real Name Grant   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmodai
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 2, 2005, 22:47
Total Comments 653 (Apprentice)
User ID 23219

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 04:27 Asmodai

Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2018, 15:36:
Oh absolutely. The hard science has been in on booze for decades now. There is no upside. Or at least the upside is entirely negligent when compared to the downsides.

Enjoyment? Relaxation?

By that logic, why eat anything that isn't strictly 100% healthy for you? Why even consider things like flavour? Make the whole thing strictly utilitarian...

What a fucking awful existence.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fighting Rainbow Six Siege Toxicity
4. Re: Fighting Rainbow Six Siege Toxicity Apr 5, 2018, 03:28 Asmodai

Numinar wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 23:36:
Free speech is super important but if I wan't to read the Brietbart comments section I'll go there, I don't need it in my games.

If they ban casual swearing then I'm fucked though. How can I expect to be murdered and murder repeatedly without a few f and c bombs?

Nobody needs to be called a variant of "homosexual black person" though, not even homosexual black people if they dared to identify as such online. Not the way these pricks say it. Come on. The ToS of this very site would cover this kind of behavior, something similar should be enforced in games.

Well therein the problem lies. The c-bomb is considered extremely offensive by some people and not at all offensive by others. If you want to consider offense levels, then the standard these days is always the lowest common denominator. So even if you don't indulge in racist/homophobic etc language, there will always be someone eventually that finds your conduct beyond the pale.

ps. I'm curious, generally, what is the LD50 of online toxicity? X D

News Comments > Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Announced
7. Re: Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Announced Mar 29, 2018, 11:50 Asmodai

Darks wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 10:26:
So, no word on this being an update for those who already own it? or are they trying to strong arm everyone into buying this pos again?

POS? This was the best of the Red Faction games.. =)

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 26, 2018, 02:59 Asmodai

Dev wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 02:49:
Not going to happen, never going to get a windows 10 version like that. MS likes to talk a bit talk about rededicating themselves to PC gamers, but it doesn't usually mean anything good, neutral at best.

Like mod support on windows store? That's an anathema to the way these people think.

There is a version that's great. It's called Enterprise LTSB and good fucking luck getting your hands on a copy if you don't work for an enterprise volume license org.

No shit features (edge, cortana, store etc) and no forced major updates. And MS doesn't want people using it...

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2018, 06:11 Asmodai

Beamer wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 10:31:
To be the killjoy, these crabs are highly distressed, with knives glued to their hands. Videos like this keep going around, with people thinking smart crabs grab the knives, but they're panicking crabs unsure why something is stuck to them as much larger beings chase them.

They're also food, though, so...

The crab actually switches the knife from claw to claw twice... Pretty awesome glue, it only sticks when you're holding something. /eyeroll

38. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2018, 02:46 Asmodai

Orogogus wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 03:28:
Asmodai wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 02:33:
Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 07:04:
Awww, you're sweet. I know you insult people because you have fuck all relevant to say Beams. Stay classy. ; )

(snip)

You couldn't do a better job of quoting than that?

Always love the people that pick on the spelling, grammar or botched forum code. You obviously know what you're doing, I'm sure you'll manage to figure it out. ; )

33. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 02:33 Asmodai

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 07:04:
Awww, you're sweet. I know you insult people because you have fuck all relevant to say Beams. Stay classy. ; )

Did anyone say people should feel bad because of penises?

No. No one ever has. But people like you are fragile and hear that. You can't have a conversation without your emotions running wild and you feeling attacked. So there's no point to trying. You twist everything to feel like a victim.
Actually, yes, they did...

Kimmel's line about Oscar being the best man in town because *reasons* ended in the line 'and no penis'. Much to the delight of the crowd, the best man is a dickless one.

The same Jimmy Kimmel who did this edifying bit on the man show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl3wioLmNNY

I particularly enjoyed the bit where they got the girls to lift their tops to the crowd of drooling men while bouncing. Classy!

So there you have it, pure 100% virtue signalling from a guy who has literally no credibility on the issue, and clapped at by a bunch of dishonest hypocrites. The Oscars in a nutshell. Let's give Kobe an Oscar as well while we're at it. I mean, he was only accused of actual rape, listen and believe wasn't a thing back then I guess?

And you, captain of the snowflake brigade, trying to say that it's bad to have feelings or be fragile? It's almost like you're saying that all males have to be a man, walk it off, be all macho and shit. But that's toxic masculinity?!?! Wtf, Beamer supports misogyny, you heard it here first folks... X D

Seriously, you're caught between being a mangina and a troll, but you're not good at either. You can't open your mouth without spilling your toxic masculinity all over the place, which sets you up as a hypocrite, and the only people you would actually offend with your "trolling" are your regressive circle jerkers. That just leaves you looking like a weak beta with flaccid rejoinders. G'luck with that!

17. Re: Path of Exile Mar 6, 2018, 02:13 Asmodai

Gotta ask though, how badly do you muff up a build that badly that you need more respec points than they give you in the process of leveling?? Roll a RF templar and you went straight to chaos innoculation??

If the build is that fundamentally shot to shit, deep six it.

16. Re: Path of Exile Mar 6, 2018, 02:05 Asmodai

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 01:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 18:07:
Okay -- here is the thing I don't like about PoE. New league started Friday. I have my new character up to level 47, but I've realized I made a significant error in my passive tree. The currency cost to fix it is high enough that it probably would be "cheaper" to start another character from scratch. That's crazy.

There needs to be some kind of mechanism for getting at least one or two full resets per character. Like you start with one available, or maybe you get one upon reaching lvl 50. Something. Having to know exactly what you are going to do with your character before you start it is just bad design.

It's either bad design, or a great money making opportunity. Hmm...

Neither, it's the determined hard core aspect of the game and it's aimed at a niche audience rather than for broad appeal (that's Diablo III)

There's no character respec for cash option available, he's talking cheaper in game currency. Regret orbs, 1 per point removed, are relatively rare and ergo it's hard to pile up 50 odd just to reset a character.

Given how quickly you can level to 60+, he's better off putting his gear in the shared bank and rolling a new toon. 47 in three days = he's not getting any league firsts any time soon, and gear is not soulbound so any luck he's had in grinding up the toon is transferable.

Could be worse (ie. losing multiple hardcore toons to the still buggy netcode, happened to me a few times).

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 05:30 Asmodai

Beamer wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 16:01:
I mean, that's not what they say, but knowing how insecure you are, I get why you hear that.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2018, 15:52 Asmodai

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 13:40:
Fuck the Oscars and their PC bullshit. Rewarding a bunch of rich assholes for doing their fucking jobs. I will never understand why people think so highly of them or why they feel they need 50 million award ceremonies a year. The fucking egos on those people.

But Cutter, how else would they be able to simultaneously tell us that we shouldn't rape and women are powerful and women need to be protected and if you have a penis you should feel bad because
privilege?!?!? \= | Oh yeah, and there were some movies or some shit out this year...

News Comments > BATTLETECH in April
6. Re: BATTLETECH in April Feb 28, 2018, 01:43 Asmodai

Task wrote on Feb 27, 2018, 23:49:
Much hyperbole CJ.

I wouldn't bother replying to it, makes him feel relevant...

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2018, 02:30 Asmodai

jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2018, 11:54:
Asmodai wrote on Feb 24, 2018, 21:06:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a movie that portrays a isolationist, patrilineal monarchy ethno state is such a hit with the progressive types... Change in whites for blacks and it would be decried as the worst movie ever made, a propaganda piece for white supremacists. Objectively, the core concept of Wakanda, regardless of the colour of it's inhabitants, has no place in the modern democratic west. It's a complete anachronism.

If you divorce the piece from politics (which is frankly impossible, the movie seems to be built around politics rather than super hero fantasy), it's a pretty average movie with Blade era CG (ie. clunky). The only thing that makes it such a rampaging success is that it uses politics to drive it forward.

I think the hype is less "what it's about," and more "that it exists." Comic book movies have been pretty much the exclusive domain of white men (with a very few exceptions) for decades now. To have one that consists of not only a black cast, but is also Afro-centric; that's never been done before.

I haven't seen it yet, but I suspect I'll just come down on the "meh" side of it. People were praising the hell out of WW, but I thought it was just okay. I'm getting a similar vibe here. Will be happy to be disappointed though.

That was the other bit that I got a laugh out of, some gormless twat on one of the major news channels said "This is the first black super hero movie" and I was sitting there thinking "What about Spawn? Blade?" Yeah, they aren't spilling out all over the place, but that is in part because Marvel and DC didn't feature a lot of black super heroes to begin with until the last 10 years when they went in to overdrive.

It's certainly a competent super hero movie with a few clanging moments (the black tribesmen hooting like monkeys to shut up whitey was one of those). If we were actually post racial, I suspect it would be an enjoyable also-ran for the franchise, but the fact it has been put on a pedestal has, unfortunately, shone a harsh light on all of it's flaws.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2018, 21:06 Asmodai

jdreyer wrote on Feb 24, 2018, 20:31:
'Black Panther' is amazing. Why are its CG models so terrible?

Yeah, some of those shots could have been better done in real time using UE4.

Edit: LOL, Devindra says the same thing at the end of the article.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a movie that portrays a isolationist, patrilineal monarchy ethno state is such a hit with the progressive types... Change in whites for blacks and it would be decried as the worst movie ever made, a propaganda piece for white supremacists. Objectively, the core concept of Wakanda, regardless of the colour of it's inhabitants, has no place in the modern democratic west. It's a complete anachronism.

If you divorce the piece from politics (which is frankly impossible, the movie seems to be built around politics rather than super hero fantasy), it's a pretty average movie with Blade era CG (ie. clunky). The only thing that makes it such a rampaging success is that it uses politics to drive it forward.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 13, 2018, 02:24 Asmodai

Ah Germany, fighting against a past as an authoritarian dictatorship by being an authoritarian dictatorship...

Remind me again why the 99 odd % who don't have a problem have to constantly be hemmed in for the smallest of minorities? Not that I'm a fan of loot boxes, but the freedom to piss your money away on bullshit should be yours. And then you have games that are only monetised through things like costume items or pay to go faster (eg. Path of Exile, 100% free for the total game, or Warframe where you can pick up blueprints for rare frames for cents worth of the prem currency). Nah, fuck em, right?

News Comments > Jess Cliffe Arrest Details
21. Re: Jess Cliffe Arrest Details Feb 3, 2018, 19:06 Asmodai

Beamer wrote on Feb 3, 2018, 18:41:
Like I keep telling you guys, his knowledge of her age does not matter, only her age does. Unless this is Alaska.

It's one of the things men struggle with most in their 1L crimlaw class, but it starts making sense when you think about it. She's a child, he's a late 30s adult. He's more responsible for his actions. He can't use "I thought she was 18" as an easy, obvious excuse. And she was almost definitely 15, which is pretty damn far from 18. Freshman or sophomore in HS...

So what? Working door on clubs, I've stopped 12 year olds that looked over 18. People need to take responsibility for their actions, so in the current scenario... The girl is a victim and doesn't need to take any responsibility for being a prostitute on a site that she certainly lied on the waiver to use. She also doesn't need to take responsibility for deception of her client.

Cliff, on the other hand, has to take responsibility for fucking her, paying for sex, being a pedo, creating child exploitation material et al. Because he accepted that she was the age she claimed. What a fucking monster... /eyeroll

Oh yeah, filming without her consent is actually the one time where he actually took away her right to consent (assuming she's telling the truth).

It's good to see, however, that Blues attendees are somewhat red pilled and recognise just how bass ackwards this situation is. The girl set out to purposefully deceive for the purposes of making money via prostitution, but she get's a free pass cos.. vagina? /gg

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 3, 2018, 05:30 Asmodai

YouTube is jumping the shark again, but they've done it so many times no one fucking notices any more... = \  

News Comments > Cortex Command Free on Steam
4. Re: Cortex Command Free on Steam Feb 3, 2018, 05:27 Asmodai

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 2, 2018, 19:44:
I think this is a free weekend deal, as it still allows you to buy the game for $20. I guess we'll see what it does come Monday.

Yeah, it's listed as "free for a limited time" so get in while the price is great. ; )

News Comments > Your Royal Gayness Comes Out
14. Re: Your Royal Gayness Comes Out Jan 31, 2018, 01:47 Asmodai

Icewind wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 13:59:
Every indie game nowadays has to be about sexual identity.

I miss when indie games were just about shooting monsters and walking through dungeons.

If you play games to learn about the world around you, then you need to get out more. You can learn about LGBTQ issues anywhere in the real world, you don't need a game. I think these folks are all shut-ins that need a game to tell them about life.

Me? I play games to get away from all the life i'm over-exposed to on a daily basis.

You have a point about some major titles that have consistently bowed to pressure to be more PC, but this game is open about it's point of view from the word go, and that's what indie games are all about.

More power to em imo, if they want to make games that feature openly gay protagonists, who cares? I have a far greater axe to grind with the sheer volume of asset flip shovelware that pollutes Steam these days rather than the odd gay game. Used to be you could play a game, not get the 14th iteration of the same asset demo with a new name... X D

News Comments > Are "Let's Play" Streams Legal?
60. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 16:40 Asmodai

headkase wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 11:10:
I would say that adding the act of playing the game is transformative. The game would just sit there doing nothing without the unique and never-same input from a player.

Further to that, there is the player themselves. People like Jim Sterling or Markiplier are amusing in and of themselves, and add a dimension that the game can't handle.

If fair use is fine for the purposes of review, fair use for let's play seems pretty straight forward (to the layperson with no stake in cutting throats to make a few extra cents).

It also opens the door to promotion fees, a particularly good entertainer will generate an enormous amount of income for a game by demonstrating play and actually having fun in it.

653 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo