Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant

Real Name Grant   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmodai
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 2, 2005, 22:47
Total Comments 568 (Apprentice)
User ID 23219

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jun 16, 2017, 07:17 Asmodai

Yup, the first thing you want when traveling (which is always soo much fun) is to be the butt of some dicks joke.

On the plus side, given airport paranoia, he'll probably end up with a cavity search and a government sponsored stay in a "happy camp" when TSA notices him...

Wonder if he'll find that funny?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Return to Olethros Launches
2. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Return to Olethros Launches Jun 15, 2017, 03:35 Asmodai

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 15, 2017, 03:16:
Dang, this game ended up on 49% on Steam, is that deserved?

It deserves worse...

It's fucking awful. Enemies always come from the same place, unlike L4D or Vermintide which are somewhat dynamic. The Terminator armour feels clunky, the upgrade system is shite, the game crashes at the drop of a hat (great for co-op...).

In retrospect, I wouldn't pick this up for 5 bucks in a steam sale. You'll get far better horde mode fun out of Space Marine, for all it's flaws.

News Comments > Destiny 2 and Beta Access with 1080 Cards
4. Re: Destiny 2 and Beta Access with 1080 Cards Jun 14, 2017, 03:10 Asmodai

Atomica wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 02:55:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 00:47:
And playing with a gamepad to boot, yuck... The main reason I'm interested in it coming to PC is NOT having to do that. Shame on you, GeForce video maker guy. Fucking shame!
Even on PC, controllers are often used in gameplay footage because it provides much smoother panning and visuals and look much less "chaotic" when compared to a mouse.

Fair point, but as the character was running up and you could hear the mobs waffling on the right, most mouse gamers would have panned to the right and strafed up the hill rather than wander in "eyes front".

Cos, ya know, what if they'd had a large cannon pointed at where you were coming round rather than being tissue paper mobs that go down with a slight double tap? \= |

Seriously, this clip highlights exactly why controllers are fucking pants. More power to you if you can use them well (I categorically cannot, and at 42 I'm fucked if I'm going to try...), but mouse is effortless in comparison.

Edit: Oh yeah, fuck Geforce Experience... I've had nothing but dramas with that piece of shit.

News Comments > Anthem Gameplay Trailer
26. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Jun 13, 2017, 06:18 Asmodai

ItBurn wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 17:09:
I don't think I was a cunt. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for Anthem. But, this doesn't look like a Bioware game and this trailer is mostly BS. I don't like BS and lies.

Heh, I wasn't explicitly calling you a cunt, but I'm starting to get fatigued with people (again, not explicitly you shitting all over a product based on, admittedly, a trend of overselling in the trailers/early gameplay and failing to deliver. Similar to the absolute shellacking KS gets, when it has actually delivered some quality titles that otherwise might not have been realised.

Sure, staged gameplay doesn't really tell the whole story, but I'm cautiously optimistic and generally looking forward to the title. It would be a nice change to escape from the unrelenting negativity which is based as much on crystal ball gazing as unbridled enthusiasm.

News Comments > Anthem Gameplay Trailer
16. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Jun 12, 2017, 16:55 Asmodai

ItBurn wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 16:40:
I dunno, seems like I was right. Like you say, this isn't representative of real gameplay. The whole first part is 100% a cinematic. The real game might still play like that cinematic, and that would be bad like I explained in my second part. For the rest, you kid yourself if it's representative of a real game. They do this all the time, have scripted cutscenes with player control. If they moved a centimeter in any direction, everything would break. They'd like the game to play like this, but it never happens. These trailers have existed since forever and have never been realistic.

Yeah, seems like an argument for the sake of pedantically "being right", which is ironic because technically you aren't.

Sure, the feature set along the demo path is probably far more fleshed out than the rest of the game (otherwise it would be launching rather than announced of course), but the core of it looks very interesting to this old Firefall/Borderlands etc fan.

You can be cautiously optimistic about something without being a naive fool, and you can be justifiably skeptical without being a cunt.

News Comments > Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Trailer
13. Re: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Trailer Jun 11, 2017, 00:51 Asmodai

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2017, 00:42:
Asmodai wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 16:22:
So you get to fight Mary Poppins at "that time of the month"...?

Those wacky Japanese...

Okay, that was a pretty good one.

/grin I've been playing a lot of Path of Exile lately and just can't get over what I've dubbed "period elementals" in Piety's area. Seems to be a thought train I can't get off at the moment. /concern

News Comments > Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Trailer
4. Re: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Trailer Jun 10, 2017, 16:22 Asmodai

So you get to fight Mary Poppins at "that time of the month"...?

Those wacky Japanese...

News Comments > Strange Brigade Announced
3. Re: Strange Brigade Announced Jun 8, 2017, 01:04 Asmodai

I do loves me some co-op fun and haven't had a really good one since Helldivers. Hope it's more than just a Left4Dead horde mode rehash.  

News Comments > GOG Summer Sale Includes Free Rebel Galaxy
11. Re: GOG Summer Sale Includes Free Rebel Galaxy Jun 6, 2017, 17:49 Asmodai

Apart from the music getting a bit monotonous, the game is actually a heck of a lot of fun.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2017, 17:05 Asmodai

The post about the first day on the job dev is far too common an issue where a company has lax and blase attitudes towards it's IT security and continuity.

If you cannot come up with a possible scenario where someone handed the master key for a production database on their first day with nothing more than an informational flyer goes bad, you don't fucking deserve to work in any operation where data is valuable (ie. FUCKING ALL OF THEM...)

The junior should have followed instructions (even though they were confusing), but this is a very easy to believe scenario.

News Comments > Morning Previews
7. Re: Morning Previews Jun 2, 2017, 19:28 Asmodai

Flatline wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 16:17:
The real test will be the PvP and the emerging meta out of that.

I kinda despise that "meta" is the new term for "favourite of the month" or min/max. Nothing ruins a game faster than a guaranteed formula for success, eg. the constant changes of MWO which makes default mecha configurations completely useless because of the current "meta". Many mechs that just flat out suck in their default config in a twitch shooter were quite effective on the table top if used to the strengths.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2017, 07:17 Asmodai

RedEye9 wrote on May 31, 2017, 11:04:
Biker dropped the national speed limit in a blink of an eye.
Motorcyclists are invisible, at least in the states but it also looks that way in Europe...

The biker dropped from 245 km/h to 124 km/h in approximately 3 seconds, with a closure rate of approx 33 m/sec. When he begins to brake, the car is very small in his wide open 180 degree field of vision, whereas the driver would only be able to spot the bike in his left hand mirror (mirrors that make things appear smaller to achieve a wider FOV), which would make it very easy to miss at over 100m away and closing very fast.

Yep, the biker did well, and I do take your point re: bikes being invisible (most people just don't pay attention on the road), but it's quite conceivable that even an attentive driver could have easily missed that guy coming on.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2017, 07:05 Asmodai

Cutter wrote on May 31, 2017, 19:15:
I smoked most of my life and quit smoking cold turkey a decade ago. I also never pretended I needed the charity of others when I'm blowing $10 a day on a pack of cigarettes. So I guess what you're really saying is you're ok with defrauding charities.

You would of course be familiar with the concept that addiction to mood altering drugs (of which nicotine is one) is typically because of people's inability to deal with other aspects of their life. Hence why drug addiction rates in the lowest socio-economic strata are typically far fucking higher than among successful people who have relatively good lives...

Prof. Carl Hart speaks volumes on the subject of addiction and how it disproportionately affects those that have little in their lives to be happy about. And how improving their social situation can make it easier to handle or quit that addiction.

News Comments > On Destiny 2 Networking
13. Re: On Destiny 2 Networking May 27, 2017, 21:50 Asmodai

Creston wrote on May 27, 2017, 14:15:
Why peer-to-peer? Are we trying to save money?
Matt: Nope! We've invested heavily in new server infrastructure for Destiny 2, including using cloud servers for gameplay for the first time. We really believe this is the best model for all of Destiny 2's varied cooperative and competitive experiences. Engineering will always involve tradeoffs and cost-benefit analysis

What's the tradeoff for client-server, exactly? That it works great and everyone has a smooth match?

Oh wait, cost-benefit analysis. So you ARE trying to save money.

They noted that the host migration (a problem in ME:A, a product you have purchased) is mitigated by having a central server that manages the overall coordination and allowing the clients to do their own processing, which should allow the gameplay to feel snappy and on point.

Why is cost saving a bad thing if it either results in a fine experience, or a better experience than the previous product? We don't have any examples to base our judgement on (apart from an assumption that it's going to suck), but it sounds on the surface to be a fairly efficient way of doing things while ensuring that cheats can't game the system. /shrug Guess we'll have to wait and see.

News Comments > EVERSPACE Launches
8. Re: EVERSPACE Launches May 27, 2017, 00:24 Asmodai

Prez wrote on May 26, 2017, 23:15:
Why do all these space games have to be "Roguelikes"? People would argue that it's a "RogueLITE" but whatever - either way I'm not that fond of them. I also have read a lot of criticisms saying that a lot of the progress you make is lost when you die. Sounds a lot like wasting time to me. Can anyone who has played it expound on this?

Similar to other die/repeat games, you can either have a different style of playthrough via a different model of ship, or have access to better stuff that you've unlocked to enable you to push further.

Gameplay is dynamic so it's not like any two playthroughs are identical. Just good times in a slick ship blasting the shit out of stuff in a very nice environment.

News Comments > Grim Dawn Sells 1M Copies
19. Re: Grim Dawn Sells 1M Copies May 25, 2017, 17:24 Asmodai

I remember crowdfunding this directly off the Crate website in March 2012. This (and POE as another instance) is why I think KS/crowdfunding, for all it's problems, is still a valuable thing to have, particularly when you look at the farce D3 was.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 24, 2017, 17:54 Asmodai

For all the failures, KS has delivered some great games that I wanted to see made and have enjoyed thoroughly. Games that otherwise wouldn't have seen the light of day.

Instead of development studios and producers taking the risks, we do, and sometimes risks don't pan out. All in all, I'd prefer a system where you can choose to invest over a system of only major software houses turning out trite rerun shovelware and never taking a risk.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Recruits Female Soldiers
12. Re: Battlefield 1 Recruits Female Soldiers May 23, 2017, 17:25 Asmodai

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 23, 2017, 11:19:
Lol, the MRAs will come out of the woodwork in droves now.

History be damned, of course.

Yeah, heaven forfend that opinionated asshats pushing a political agenda re: a freaking computer game would wade in to the discussion...

34. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 17:21 Asmodai

Don't often get effected by news of famous folk departing the mortal coil, but Chris Cornell is one of my all time faves and will be sorely missed.

He broke his rusty cage and ran. = (

News Comments > Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer
4. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 17:12 Asmodai

Cutter wrote on May 18, 2017, 16:50:
Theme and MMO aspects aside they're virtually identical games. They're loot based, first person ARPGs. In terms of what the game is and what the goal of it is is no different, grinding for loot. That's all it is.

True, but a lot of games with limited storylines and somewhat grindy content can still be great fun, particularly in co-op. Helldivers comes to mind.

Never played the first Destiny but that was more about being on a console (as I am the king of fucking morons when it comes to controller FPS...). Might round up my group of friends once we see a bit more of what is coming with this.

568 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo