Descending
Limit Results:

12 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Sham
Jul 5, 2006, 03:54
Re: Sham Jul 5, 2006, 03:54
Jul 5, 2006, 03:54

It's mostly about the user having the spare time to play games.

That is a big point to many people. It was one of the driving forces for building the platform. I simply never have the time to go running to the store. I drive by every time, get home and remember that I wanted to get a game, but couldn't because of the family thing. Many that are married know the drill.. Once you are home, leaving again and coming up with the reasons sometimes arent worth it, and my wife is very cool to me about it. I'm not trying to categorize all gamers, but I am saying that gamers today are doing a lot of things, and walking the aisles at the local store looking for a game isnt everyone's deal. Some like to browse... Others just go get what they read about on the net or played in a demo.

Comes down to this... Time... Some people want to spend more time just playing the game versus going to get it or deal with the hassles of acquiring it. And that is just a part of the gamer simply making a choice of what thay prefer in the end.

--Royal

Re: No subject
Jul 4, 2006, 18:49
Re: No subject Jul 4, 2006, 18:49
Jul 4, 2006, 18:49

Enabling the $20 to $30 indie game market is one of our objectives. The blockbuster titles will sell, and they can command a certain price for the product, but that doesnt mean that other games should be forgotten.

I've played games like Marble Blast, its not $50 but it's actually fun to play, and companies like Garage Games do a great job of putting out content that is fun to play and does not require a larger investment to get into the game.

--Royal

This comment was edited on Jul 4, 18:50.

Jul 4, 2006, 18:27
Re: Sham Jul 4, 2006, 18:27
Jul 4, 2006, 18:27

There are tons and tons of free games available on the internet (legally), people do not play them? Why? The graphics are not great, but wait they run on old systems! So what is the problem? No they do not get millions in advertisement, but of a 100,000 people that visit any popular game site in a week learn about the game but ignore it or just do not try? But not even %10 of those people play it? Why? Maybe they suck, they all do not, that is for sure. I am a huge video game fan, but this mass market is just not their.

This was a topic at E3 on one of the forums I was speaking at. At the end of the day, it seems the only real way to get better exposure to the old school games is to have more of a service that allows you to play some of the newer games you would be looking for, and suggesting some old school games that you might want to check out.

People who loved Quake 4 may have never seen Quake 2, and they are seriously missing out. Or maybe No One Lives Forever, Starcraft, Diablo, or hell how about the original Unreal! Those were awesome in their time, and to this day still are great games. They may not be as advanced, however the playability is just downright awesome. But you have to be able to bring content to people in an orderly fashion, and not spam them with a 1000 titles, and hope like hell they find it. Realistically, gamers dont have the patience, nor want to do research on games, they just like playing them.

--Royal

Re: Digital Distribution
Jul 4, 2006, 14:44
Re: Digital Distribution Jul 4, 2006, 14:44
Jul 4, 2006, 14:44

One other thing to remember is that the consumer is the one who ultimately sets the trend. Granted, many times it can be like herding cats, but when something catches on in the gaming community, it can shift the direction of how people buy and consume.

Gamers have created many demands in the PC market. Video cards, Sound cards, high performance drives, boards, cooling and the such.

Digital distribution is now up to bat, and companies can only provide different variations to their offerings. These variations come from better profits to different parties involved by reallocating where the money goes and to whom it goes to. However, the right combination will be the one to catch on and succeed. So in the end the ball is in the consumer's court as to how it will shake out.

--Royal

Jul 4, 2006, 06:13
Re: No subject Jul 4, 2006, 06:13
Jul 4, 2006, 06:13

Yes you can.. And the FAQ has been updated to reflect what the current client abilities are.

--Royal

Jul 4, 2006, 05:06
Re: No subject Jul 4, 2006, 05:06
Jul 4, 2006, 05:06

Good questions... Heres how it works... When you pull the game down, it stores a small info file with each game. This allows you to copy the folder, blow away the machine (or upgrade which is more likely), copy it back, then load up the client, point it to that path. It will then know you own it, and do not need to restream it, and give you access to it. And as a benefit... Lets say you streamed 70% of it, and your water cooled rig decided to "direct cool" your components and blow up. copy the folder out, do the same thing, and it will continue from the 70% mark like nothing ever happened.

As for belly up. The publisher can also patch the games to make them fully playable as well, so same thing applies here.

Also, on a side note... I doubt if anyone looked, but if you dont like the UI, you can also create your own custom skins with the player... Its all XML driven with JPEG/PNGs, and very straightforward.

--Royal

This comment was edited on Jul 4, 05:07.

Jul 4, 2006, 03:47
Re: No subject Jul 4, 2006, 03:47
Jul 4, 2006, 03:47

Triton will passively check to see if there are patches and updates with gameplay. The only thing we pass up is that you played it. We dont pass hardware info or anything else. Your PC is your business.

You could block it since the idea is to give you the option of getting an update, not force you to report in what you are doing. Just if you block it, and theres a patch, you might not be able to get it since we wont know you need it.

Patching by the way is one of the cooler things... We patch on the fly while you play instead of putting up with a 2 year wait. As far as we're concerned, a patch is nothing more than a piece of the game that you havent received yet, regardless if it was part of a file or not.

And there is always the option to just download the patch as well, but most people (like me) are impatient and just want to play the game.

As for the community... This is our primary focus. We dont make games, or anything else. So we do not have any other goal but to get the games out as clean, painless, and transparent as possible so you can focus on the game and not us. People get used to things that just work, and not things that get in the way. And thats our goal.

--Royal

Jul 4, 2006, 01:15
Re: Sham Jul 4, 2006, 01:15
Jul 4, 2006, 01:15

Standard practice for all games. And you will also be able to retrieve your game and CD key online in the event of PC doom for reinstall.

Thanks for the correction need on the FAQ, I will make sure that is changed. About a year ago, it was true, but it just didnt make sense, which is why we tossed it out.

--Royal

Jul 4, 2006, 01:00
Re: Sham Jul 4, 2006, 01:00
Jul 4, 2006, 01:00

I always have to leave Triton running or start it and login every time I want to play something.

You will not need to be online and leave it running. Upon release, you will be able to click on the desktop game icon, and it will run the game. The idea here is for us to be a means to get the games, not a front to get in the way of the games.

Thats one of the flaws we have seen others do. They put themselves before the game so as a result you have to go through a long series just to get to the game you bought in the first place. I personally hate it as well, especially when I want to continue my level and it says "updating... 96% for 30 minutes"...

Royal O'Brien, Founder
Playtriton.com

Jul 3, 2006, 17:02
Re: Sham Jul 3, 2006, 17:02
Jul 3, 2006, 17:02

Offline mode / activation:
The game is activated as you transfer it. It keeps what it needs in a small file so that you do not need to go onto the Internet to play each time. So it’s just like putting in a CD key and it storing in a file so the game plays each time. Only difference is that it won't ask you to insert your disc when its already in the drive.

Reinstall in the event of untimely death:
If we go bottom up, the publisher can unlock and remove the encryption, much like how you see games after a couple patches ditch the safedisc/securom requirement.

Game Patching:
We receive the patch before it hits, and we apply it to the live stream. All you need to do is just go online, and it can patch it on the fly while you play the game, then just go back offline. No need to search, wait in line, install, and pray it works. The system was designed to be able to patch a game within a day of it coming to us. And if we do not get a patch, we can take the public patch and prepare our own as well.

Online versus DVD/etc.
It really comes down to preference. Some like the box, some don’t care. It’s a personal choice that gamers make. If you are more concerned that disc might get screwed up or don’t care if you have a couple hundred boxes on the shelf, then digital may make more sense. If you blow it up on digital, just grab your client, and redownload. If you change PCs you can just copy over your game folder, and point the client to it. It will make sure everything is good to go and not have to redownload.

The whole idea of a monopoly... that’s a loaded question there. My only suggestion is to take a look at the food chain from creation to when the game gets into your hands and how many hands it passes through that get a piece of the pie versus more money going to the developer to make a better game. 4 years is a lot of time to write a game, and if you have ever written one you would know it’s not a walk in the park to make something this polished in short time. And we all know time is money.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 17:04.

TritonUI
Jun 22, 2006, 21:21
TritonUI Jun 22, 2006, 21:21
Jun 22, 2006, 21:21

Now that I'm digging myself out of a nasty server crash at the absolute worst time possible, and transferring life over. Most of the comments I have seen have been about the UI, so I figured I would stop in and talk about that and a couple little items...

First... A Picture says a thousand words, so here are a couple Gs.

http://64.31.138.98/UI_1.jpg
http://64.31.138.98/UI_2.jpg

The MCE interface is more designed for the 10 foot experience, and really isnt as advanced per say as the FPS gamer looks for. However, Multitasking while in and out of gameplay, Queueing, throttling, DX/OGL notification of streaming, Offline mode, Desktop icon play for games, hot weblinking, and a few more things I'll keep to my vest for now. These are only 2 of the screens, and there are quite a few more (In game descrip, shots, video and more)

Oh, and this UI... It is 100% unicode, and can be skinned by anyone with a notepad and some jpegs or PNGs.

As for Prey, bandwidth, and the release. We have 32GBit of bandwidth for streamers, and 48 Tera CDN assist for preload and launch worldwide. So when release day comes, for those that have preloaded. Your playtime will really depend on how fast your hard drive is, not your internet connect.

Back to work for me.

--Royal O'Brien, Founder
obrienr@playtriton.com

A few answers...
May 21, 2005, 04:48
A few answers... May 21, 2005, 04:48
May 21, 2005, 04:48
12 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older