Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1096 (Pro)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 21, 2016, 04:56 saluk

Wallshadows wrote on May 20, 2016, 18:45:
I'm sure there is more to it but it seems a little ridiculous that the Vive and Oculus require separate development to the point where games which support one or the other are locked down. It's not like it's a graphics card, processor or API but rather an external device which functions as a fancy monitor with bulky hardware requirements.

Shouldn't there be some kind of VR standard to follow instead of pushing VR in to the market in one hand while locking down and splitting the market in the other?

Not to be pedantic, but it is exactly an api. SteamVR, for example, displays a boundary grid when you near the edge of your tracking volume, as well as displaying accurate controller models. If they ever update the controllers, the new controllers will display the updated controller models, even if you are in an old game. Rift, for example, has the feature that interpolates between frames to smooth out poorly performing content. Also there is a bit of extra work done on the rendering side to ensure latency is low enough, adjust for distortion, etc. This is all done in the api and not by game engines or programmers directly.

While I think you can still technically render to the headsets directly as if they are an extra monitor, DK1 style, there are latency issues with that and it's a lot of work that no developer is going to do because those hard problems have already been solved in the software stack.

It's very similar to the war between directx, which only supports windows (oculus) and opengl (steamvr) which is supported on many operating systems. You can indeed run steamvr games on a rift, and many rift users have been doing so. If you happen to have one of the old razer hydra peripherals you can even have hands.

Now, while I can, if I squint, accept a company making their own sdk and not supporting other devices with it, and even funding games to be developed on that sdk which don't support a competitors software stack, I can't accept explicitly and intentionally breaking the equivalent of wine, nor the hardware-locked drm method to do so which hurts their own customers. A Rift game can no longer include a mode that runs if you don't have a headset on (say an online game that lets you make some quick adjustments to your character); future headsets sers with a dk2 may run into trouble, people waiting for the rifts to arrive who were trying out the content are also locked out.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2016, 05:01.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse May 20, 2016, 12:14 saluk

I hated the expendables, but that isn't really relevant.

7.0 on IMDB is a good rating for IMDB, and probably about what a show like Sex in the City deserves. It's a good show, and for a while was culturally relevant, but it ain't shakespeare. It also stands to reason that a show aimed at women is going to get rated poorly by men, and the opposite is also blatantly obvious.

But, the data is somewhat interesting. Why watch something that is clearly not aimed at your demographic, and then go poop on it on the internet? Especially something that is so beloved? The most glaring datapoint is the number of men who vote 1's on female-dominant shows. While it isn't surprising that a man would rate a 1, it is a tiny bit interesting that so many are actually going through the effort to rate it so in the first place.

But I actually come to a different conclusion. I think women are less likely to judge a "man's" show, because for a long time they have been conditioned to stay out of the "no girls allowed" boys clubhouses of the world. She's not going to go into a show like GI Joe and give it a bad rating.

In general, there are always going to people giving 1's for dumb reasons. I think that's human nature. This skew will eventually go away and is not the big deal the author is making it, but I do like seeing the data. I almost didn't read further because of the first terrible example of Sex and the City lol.

News Comments > Talos Principle 2 Revealed
3. Re: Talos Principle 2 Revealed May 20, 2016, 11:55 saluk

Why not, I'm down. The story was interesting but however they shoehorn it in, if it has decent puzzles I don't mind.  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. May 19, 2016, 17:19 saluk

Battlefront game is rushed out the door... a few months later Disney shuts down their game operations and ends Disney Infinity. Coincidence? Probably.

Also, while there is a difference between developer and publisher, in the case of EA I'm not bothered that the reporter did not make that distinction.

Anyway, EA can blame whoever or whatever they want for each shitty release. And yet they keep putting out shitty releases. If you've identified a problem, shouldn't you be working to fix that problem? Put up or shut up.

News Comments > Google's Daydream VR
2. Re: Google's Daydream VR May 19, 2016, 17:14 saluk

Googles answer to GearVR - with some of the same downsides over cardboard (more expensive, limited set of phones). The motion controller, if it were tracked by the camera, might be interesting, enabling some more exploration of the hand-controlled VR space; and I was a bit hyped when it was first announced as I could concievably port some of my Vive content down to this and reach a bigger audience. But as it turns out, the remote is about as capable as a wiimote, so I don't think that will work. Would have liked to see them make a play to surpass gearvr instead of just essentially matching it. Without a big push (like samsung did bundling gear with the s7 launch) I don't know if this will find a market. Cardboard at least worked with iphones.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 19, 2016, 17:08 saluk

The floating gun is because non-tracked body parts look super weird in VR. It's much more natural to just have it be floating - you feel like your arm is really there even though you can't see it, rather than wondering what this alien arm is doing following your arm around. It's similar to the uncanny valley, where it's easier to relate to a stylized Pixar character than the realistically modeled monstrosities of older cg like that Final Fantasy movie.

How is it better than a mouse? Several ways, but the most concrete is that when you have a sense of where an enemy is, even if he is off screen, you can aim at him, and shoot him, using your proprioceptive sense of where your hand is pointed, and hit him, while looking elsewhere and tracking another target. (A little more useful in something like Space Pirate Trainer where you get a gun in each hand)

Still, while modding GTA to VR is kind of cool, the game wasn't designed for it and I'm not that interested in playing it in VR. As a mod, it's going to be buggy, and with such a big game you are going to constantly be running into areas where the design clashes with the input. My guess is that shootouts will be too easy and driving will be too hard. For a start. With enough effort, it might be great someday though.

News Comments > King's Quest Episode One Free
10. Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 18:13 saluk

This game has a really checkered development history, I'm not sure I want to support it even if it's free.

It's been years since I did a complete kq1-8 playthrough, if I get the urge for more KQ I think I'd rather go back and replay them. They can be obtuse and mean at times for sure. The Dark Souls of adventure games The worst are the dead ends where you have made the game unwinnable without knowing it. Oh, you drank that potion that does nothing here but you need on this other screen later on? Too bad!

But there have been remakes that clean up some of the rougher edges.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 18, 2016, 12:11 saluk

If you are already at the top of the line and aren't into VR, these aren't beastly enough to upgrade. If you are into VR, because of both the way the headsets have been specced and the fact that drivers and engines don't support the VR optimizations yet, you won't get much benefit out of the new cards for a long time. Better to wait, and maybe get the Ti version when that comes out. Of course, I have a feeling the pricing there will be premium.

If you AREN'T at the top of the line though, the way these are priced and specced, it provides a pretty good incentive to upgrade, and then you will get to claim to be top of the line for a while, which is always fun

News Comments > DOOM Released
73. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 17:45 saluk

With the proliferation of cheap and free content these days, the old piracy arguments that I used to agree with and espouse are sure loosing their luster.

That said, economic oddities aside, I don't have a huge issue with sites like cdkey. If companies are releasing games in a market where the population on average has a low income, and you target the price for that market differently, what is so wrong with someone domestically who ALSO has a low income from being able to access that price, albeit through an intermediary who is taking advantage of the inequality that corporations are pandering to?

News Comments > Microsoft Improving UWP Gaming
9. Re: Microsoft Improving UWP Gaming May 11, 2016, 01:13 saluk

I actually understand the issues at play in this case, at least I think so. Since UWP uses a different windowing technology, it wasn't compatible with a few graphics rendering modes that are inherently tied to windowing. Pretty quick turn around for making the new windowing system compatible actually. UWP is actually a pretty cool in theory, in allowing devs to write-once and run anywhere, but as is often the case with these kinds of portability layers, things usually go kind of bell-shaped in practice.

Oh I forgot to add, rah rah, Microsoft is evil, rah rah.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 5, 2016, 17:34 saluk

There certainly isn't any one software or game (although tiltbrush comes close if you are artistic) that's a reason d'etre to pick up vr - the vr has to sell itself or not. But as demand has not been able to be yet matched for either party at the moment the killer app question is kind of a moot point.

On the other hand, for those who have managed to pick up a headset, there has been a very steady amount of decent content to keep you entertained. The two pong-esque clones released last week for the Vive are great fun, and I've heard good things about The Climb, as mundane as it sounds. Crytek's 2nd or 3rd VR title may be the "killer app" if they can stay in business.

The biggest danger is headset owners either get bored or stick to the minigames they already own and the market dies out. I am in no danger of getting bored, and have not played a game outside of the Vive in the month I've had it. But I haven't even bought some of the games people are raving about because I'm happy with what I have. I already have Space Pirate Trainer and have a long way to go on its high skill ceiling... do I really need another shooting and dodging game in Holopoint?

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2016, 17:10 saluk

"Sweeney renews Microsoft attack with fresh UWP criticism."

Slightly inaccurate. He more or less said, "Oh. I guess I was silly to attack UWP because no one is using it anyway. The early frog catches the fly and all that, isn't that what people say these days? VR is UNREAL dude!"

Sick burn.

News Comments > The Climb Ascends
4. Re: The Climb Ascends Apr 29, 2016, 14:57 saluk

I would try this with revive, but it's overpriced.  

News Comments > Blizzard on Vanilla WoW Shutdown
47. Re: Blizzard on Vanilla WoW Shutdown Apr 26, 2016, 19:25 saluk

Shuts down running vanilla server. "Sorry guys, we have to protect our IP". Ok then, why don't you run a vanilla server then Blizzard?

"We tried to but it just can't be done."

News Comments > GameStop's Publishing Division
9. Re: GameStop's Publishing Division Apr 19, 2016, 01:59 saluk

Not the worst idea ever, but every initiative by gamestop other than their core business has been a big fail, I expect nothing less here.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Week
46. Re: Star Citizen Free Week Apr 18, 2016, 19:29 saluk

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 18:03:
Comet wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 16:48:
Mass Effect Andromeda. Started development in 2012. Planned release date - 2017.

Star Citizen. Started development in 2013. Planned release date for single player SQ42 (according to latest trailer) 2016. Planned release date for Star Citizen - 2017+

What we have seen so far of Mass Effect Andromeda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Qx5vtu_vo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG8V9dRqSsw

What we have seen so far of Star Citizen and SQ42:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FF-ewiwmhs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSXcdvd-ME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP6Ma_tfDlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_JC-ClscY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBYRIZA44Eg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rQDDc7Pxlc

I'm not going to "defend" CIG. Release dates have changed and all that.

But I fail to understand why is there so much speculation around this game.
Crowdfunded game or not, it is a AAA budget title.
I don't see anyone saying Mass Effect Andromeda will fail although it has been in development for about the same time as Star Citizen and has shown considerably less footage.

If Star Citizen game development was not so "open" to the public, with Alpha modules for people to try and so on, the image we would have of Star Citizen development would just be the polished pretty trailers.

So why the criticism when in truth most people don't really know much about game development or the real state of an in development game when they first show some gameplay footage in gaming conventions?

FYI. When The Witcher 3 was first announced, they showed some pretty cool in game footage. Seemed polished and all that.
The final game graphics were a bit different and people criticize CD Projekt Red because of it.
In a reply to those criticisms CD Projekt Red stated the following

"If you're looking at the development process," Iwinski begins, "we do a certain build for a tradeshow and you pack it, it works, it looks amazing. And you are extremely far away from completing the game. Then you put it in the open-world, regardless of the platform, and it's like 'oh shit, it doesn't really work'. We've already showed it, now we have to make it work. And then we try to make it work on a huge scale. This is the nature of games development."

Full article at Eurogamer if you want to read about development of Witcher 3.
That first footage was released in 2013 and they expected the game to be released in 2014.
But here is the important part. As stated by the developer, even though they expected the game to be released next year or so, according to him, "they were extremely far away from finishing the game.". He then states "you then put it in the open-world and it doesn't really work"

To put it simple. Demos don't mean anything. The one thing we all do know is that they have quite a few people working on the game. Some well known game veterans that worked on recent titles.
These game probability of success or failure is precisely the same as other AAA titles out there.

I won't predict SC failure just as I won't predict Mass Effect Andromeda or other AAA titles that have been in development during the last few years.
I'll just wait for the finished product. That according to them is not that far off. If it never comes out, than we can discuss it. Right now, let's just wait.

Witcher dev's have 3 SHIPPED games under their belt.

EA/Bioware has how many SHIPPED games, and 3 Mass Effect games SHIPPED.

Why even bring up Andromeda? It's going to ship regardless due to it being a huge franchise with EA as the publisher. No question about it.

And Witcher 3 had some visual difference, but 95-98% of what was shown was in the final version of the game.

You argue like my sister. As Bill Burr would say... If a women is right she will argue the point until it's dead. If a women is wrong she'll find another subject to bring up (typically one that really pisses ya off).

And how the hell do you call SC at AAA title? To be a AAA title you have to ship a AAA game. I've seen a ton of great amazing tech demo's but to call them a AAA game is beyond a reach.

He's not saying the game is AAA quality, but AAA budget. As Star Citizen has raised more money than any of the individual Mass Effect games costed to make (and by the end the number may approach the cost to make that trilogy combined!) this is a fair comparison. Your reference to credentials is also fair.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2016, 17:45 saluk

The bundles aren't really news, as their ship date of April was known even at a time when Oculus pre-orders estimate had slipped to June. I made the right choice to cancel the preorder and buy a bundle. The stock has been set aside to fulfill the bundles ahead of time. I'd imagine it's not a lot of stock either.

Of course I also made the right choice to cancel the bundle after my Vive arrived and I realized I didn't need two nearly identical headsets, just to play twice as many mediocre games.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Apr 13, 2016, 22:17 saluk

Wtf!?  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 8, 2016, 17:12 saluk

Both are "out", and for the most part work as well and for the purposes for which they have been said to work.

Shipping delays on both sides mean few outside of the media actually have them yet.

News Comments > Black Desert Online Sells 400K
3. Re: Black Desert Online Sells 400K Apr 6, 2016, 03:29 saluk

Good for them. I'm kind of surprised people still play these games, but who am I to judge.  

1096 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo