Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1174 (Pro)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month
28. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 19, 2017, 01:25 saluk

I think I remember hearing something about this about 10 years ago, in an article on a number of these games that were in development at the time. Grimrock was there too (and it had been in development almost as long!)

Unfortunately, this looks... really bad. Not only the interface and the graphics, but there is such a thing as too big. It feels excessive and bloated. The combat is far too slow. I really don't need to try and keep track of 8 party members. All the items looks the same so you have to inspect each one to see what it really is. The writing is super cheesy, and I'd imagine there is a lot of it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
11. Re: etc., etc. Apr 19, 2017, 01:14 saluk

MeanJim wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 23:08:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 21:02:
Steam Competitor
Please be Amazon
Please be Amazon
Please be Amazon

The best orgasms of you life lost to electronic gadgets, there are going to be a lot of grumpy 60 year olds.

Amazon owns Twitch, witch is now selling games, but I don't see that being a big competitor to Steam.

Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 21:57:
It's not Amazon, it's TenCent. We'll see how it turns out.

They can't be that massive, I've never heard of them before now.

Lol. I hope you are being sarcastic. Tencent is bigger than Amazon. It is basically the Chinese Ministry of Entertainment.

News Comments > Shiness: The Lighting Kingdom Released
3. Re: Shiness: The Lighting Kingdom Released Apr 19, 2017, 00:57 saluk

Damnit where did this come from? Another one for the backlog.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2017, 00:52 saluk

In America, you are a boring waste of space nerd if you are into tech, and a teenage god if you are a jock who aspires to play football for a few years before you get brain damage and then sit on your ass collecting endorsement deals.

And you wonder why many companies struggle to find good workers in America and have to ship people in from countries where these fields are actually respected by the general public.

The foreign workers are generally better performers at their job as well, in my experience.

There are certainly cases where companies are exploiting the system (if there is anything that corporations are good at, it's exploiting the system). Reviewing the program seems fine and dandy, as long as they get a wide perspective from all the relevant stakeholders... hahahahaha yeah that's going to happen.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 14, 2017, 19:04 saluk

Always seemed like a limited edition cash grab anyway. Still seems dumb to discontinue. But Nintendo does what Nintenshouldn't.  

News Comments > Oculus Seeks New Trial vs ZeniMax
14. Re: Oculus Seeks New Trial vs ZeniMax Apr 13, 2017, 19:54 saluk

Job security/creation for lawyers.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 13, 2017, 19:46 saluk

lol @ social media. such a low enragement bar.  

News Comments > Gearbox Drops G2A Deal
4. Re: Gearbox Drops G2A Deal Apr 7, 2017, 20:36 saluk

Not only is this Golf for workgroups thing one of the weirdest WTF's I've seen this week (and that includes all of the lame april fools jokes), but it is buried within another article about G2A.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
9. Re: Sunday Metaverse Apr 3, 2017, 17:19 saluk

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 3, 2017, 01:06:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2017, 21:45:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 2, 2017, 20:54:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2017, 14:14:
I wonder why this one not only broke the record but did so by such a wide margin?

If I had to guess, it's because "It" is one of the most well known of King's books and it was made in to the early 90s mini-series where Curry killed it as Pennywise.

So, more people know about "It" than they do, say, "Gerald's Game" although that has a movie coming out about it, too.

We had the Carrie remake a couple of years ago. That's at least as well known, didn't break any records. It's just an odd choice to set a record, IMO.

Yes, but the original "Carrie" came out in 1976. The remake bombed as it barely made back its production costs. Also, "It" and Pennywise have a presence in the collective conscience of a very wide demographic. "Carrie", not so much. The closest thing to "It" that has the same widespread culture reference would probably be "The Shining".

So it doesn't surprise me at all. How many "Carrie" memes have you seen? How many Pennywise memes have you seen? I don't think it's surprising at all.

I had no idea IT was such a cultural phenomenon. I know of it, and have a vague idea that it's about a clown, but that's the extent of it. Didn't know the clowns name. I haven't encountered the memes (or maybe I didnt know what they were when I saw them).

We all have our cultural blank spots I guess.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
9. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 3, 2017, 17:15 saluk

Pretty good interview with the man himself. Revealing. The ego is still there, but more subdued than it's been in the past.

And then it comes out:

"I mean, yes, it is successful. Is it enough? No, it's not. I don't care what you say, if you're a designer, you're competitive. You have to have that gene inside you. My measure is simply this: There are a billion devices. How many times should my game be downloaded? A billion times. That's my success metric."

No. No. A designer must always recognize the constraints of the system within which they design. You can never please everyone. Whatever your goals are as a designer, you have to know how well those goals match with the public's desires. That will put an upper bound constraint on what your target number should be.

Look at the devices. You would think 100% of the population would own a smart phone. And yet this is not the case. It is 77% right now. And that's across ALL smartphones. The iphone is so successful because of who it alienates by its design as much as who is in it's target.

Really, I don't see how any of his games were even designed for a large market to begin with, so he's still talking crap here. I think he does have a true designers brain, but it's coupled with this "must make the biggest and best game ever so that EVERYONE likes me!" complex that completely undermines everything he tries to do.

I think that successful creatives need a healthy dose of "fuck those who don't like my stuff" to go along with their desire to make greatness.

A healthy dose.

Not Phil Fish levels.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month
8. Re: Batman: Arkham VR PC This Month Apr 3, 2017, 16:41 saluk

Kind of cool, I guess. More interested in what people are going to do with Vive trackers though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drrSfOfL674

News Comments > HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads
13. Re: HTC Adding Eye Tracking VIVE Ads Apr 1, 2017, 04:01 saluk

Cutter wrote on Mar 31, 2017, 17:38:
Not long before "opt-in" is mandatory. Gee, I get to pay for a product and be tracked by advertisers! It's even better than cable TV!...said no one ever. Annnnd another nail in the VR coffin is hammered in.

Or just like, don't download the HTC software and stick to Valve?

Got any good peanuts up there?

News Comments > Crashlands Postmortem
3. Re: Crashlands Postmortem Apr 1, 2017, 03:31 saluk

The audience of GDC are other developers, not customers. Clearly they wanted the game to stand on its own rather than make the game be about the cancer. No one is here asking for money. It is a dev story for other developers to take what they will from it and be inspired on their own paths. Such as "wow, I am complaining about having a headache and thinking about not working on the game today? These guys made a game with cancer. I can do it."  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 26, 2017, 19:55 saluk

PHJF wrote on Mar 26, 2017, 13:19:
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS is a last-man-standing shooter being developed with community feedback. Players must fight to locate weapons and supplies in a massive 8x8 km island to be the lone survivor. This is BATTLE ROYALE.

This is the dumbest-sounding shit I've ever read. Aside from insane Russian men and massive griefers, I can't fathom who makes up the audience for this type of game. It's like the antithesis of Minecraft.

Oh, and of course it's early access, because why would anyone release *yet another* of these open-world survival games when it's actually done.

Read more than headline and/or play game then comment

Additional: Early access actually makes the most sense for any type of multiplayer game, as there is legit no way to test these games without being available to the public. Games can't get good without a solid development/testing/development feedback loop. Unless you are an AAA company, you can't get this loop going for a multiplayer game without some form of public access.

I'd even go as far as to say many AAA games should have been more open earlier on in their development process.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2017, 19:42 saluk

I can't even make it to the end of the first season. The puzzle of the show is intriguing, but actually watching an episode I find really boring. Characters are not interesting, dialog is poor and unmemorable.

I've made it 5 or 6 which is more than I usually give something I find so dull.

News Comments > The Witness for OS X Observed
5. Re: The Witness for OS X Observed Mar 26, 2017, 19:39 saluk

Yeah my game of the year for 2016 by far. At one point 3 of us in the office were playing it, and for a bout 3 weeks every day we came in someone would say something like "did you figure out the x?" and the rest of us would say something like "There's an X? Woah! I'll have to go back and see if I can find it. Since you are so much smarter than us, that must mean you've solved the Y?" And he'd try to pass off that he knew what we meant when we talked about the Y.

Those obelisks. Man those obelisks. They still haunt my dreams.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 20, 2017, 03:55 saluk

How the F did NieR get so popular? I mean, it's a cool game and all, but not one I ever would have expected to be #1 on steam. Especially ahead of ghost recon. Maybe a slow release period?  

News Comments > etc.
33. Re: etc. Mar 20, 2017, 02:20 saluk

Bad art = license to harass. I know game quality is all over the place, but I'm not sure we even DESERVE good games anymore.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2017, 19:36 saluk

10% of the way to the Wii U lifetime sales. I would not be surprised if it surpasses the Wii U by end of year, though I think 2 years is a more reasonable prediction, once zelda-fever cools off and there are no more notable games coming out for a while.  

News Comments > PS4 Games Coming to PCs via PS Now
6. Re: PS4 Games Coming to PCs via PS Now Mar 13, 2017, 22:32 saluk

My friend has played numerous PS3 games on his PS4 to completion. Sniper Elite, Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us, Uncharted. Sure, it's not as good as native media, but it's pretty darn close. For the price of a controller and a reasonable content subscription I can play FF15 now rather than wait for a bad port, and horizon dawn at all. (Assuming those games will be on the service)  

1174 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo