Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1045 (Pro)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2016, 17:10 saluk

"Sweeney renews Microsoft attack with fresh UWP criticism."

Slightly inaccurate. He more or less said, "Oh. I guess I was silly to attack UWP because no one is using it anyway. The early frog catches the fly and all that, isn't that what people say these days? VR is UNREAL dude!"

Sick burn.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Climb Ascends
4. Re: The Climb Ascends Apr 29, 2016, 14:57 saluk

I would try this with revive, but it's overpriced.  

News Comments > Blizzard on Vanilla WoW Shutdown
47. Re: Blizzard on Vanilla WoW Shutdown Apr 26, 2016, 19:25 saluk

Shuts down running vanilla server. "Sorry guys, we have to protect our IP". Ok then, why don't you run a vanilla server then Blizzard?

"We tried to but it just can't be done."

News Comments > GameStop's Publishing Division
9. Re: GameStop's Publishing Division Apr 19, 2016, 01:59 saluk

Not the worst idea ever, but every initiative by gamestop other than their core business has been a big fail, I expect nothing less here.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Week
46. Re: Star Citizen Free Week Apr 18, 2016, 19:29 saluk

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 18:03:
Comet wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 16:48:
Mass Effect Andromeda. Started development in 2012. Planned release date - 2017.

Star Citizen. Started development in 2013. Planned release date for single player SQ42 (according to latest trailer) 2016. Planned release date for Star Citizen - 2017+

What we have seen so far of Mass Effect Andromeda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Qx5vtu_vo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG8V9dRqSsw

What we have seen so far of Star Citizen and SQ42:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FF-ewiwmhs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSXcdvd-ME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP6Ma_tfDlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_JC-ClscY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBYRIZA44Eg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rQDDc7Pxlc

I'm not going to "defend" CIG. Release dates have changed and all that.

But I fail to understand why is there so much speculation around this game.
Crowdfunded game or not, it is a AAA budget title.
I don't see anyone saying Mass Effect Andromeda will fail although it has been in development for about the same time as Star Citizen and has shown considerably less footage.

If Star Citizen game development was not so "open" to the public, with Alpha modules for people to try and so on, the image we would have of Star Citizen development would just be the polished pretty trailers.

So why the criticism when in truth most people don't really know much about game development or the real state of an in development game when they first show some gameplay footage in gaming conventions?

FYI. When The Witcher 3 was first announced, they showed some pretty cool in game footage. Seemed polished and all that.
The final game graphics were a bit different and people criticize CD Projekt Red because of it.
In a reply to those criticisms CD Projekt Red stated the following

"If you're looking at the development process," Iwinski begins, "we do a certain build for a tradeshow and you pack it, it works, it looks amazing. And you are extremely far away from completing the game. Then you put it in the open-world, regardless of the platform, and it's like 'oh shit, it doesn't really work'. We've already showed it, now we have to make it work. And then we try to make it work on a huge scale. This is the nature of games development."

Full article at Eurogamer if you want to read about development of Witcher 3.
That first footage was released in 2013 and they expected the game to be released in 2014.
But here is the important part. As stated by the developer, even though they expected the game to be released next year or so, according to him, "they were extremely far away from finishing the game.". He then states "you then put it in the open-world and it doesn't really work"

To put it simple. Demos don't mean anything. The one thing we all do know is that they have quite a few people working on the game. Some well known game veterans that worked on recent titles.
These game probability of success or failure is precisely the same as other AAA titles out there.

I won't predict SC failure just as I won't predict Mass Effect Andromeda or other AAA titles that have been in development during the last few years.
I'll just wait for the finished product. That according to them is not that far off. If it never comes out, than we can discuss it. Right now, let's just wait.

Witcher dev's have 3 SHIPPED games under their belt.

EA/Bioware has how many SHIPPED games, and 3 Mass Effect games SHIPPED.

Why even bring up Andromeda? It's going to ship regardless due to it being a huge franchise with EA as the publisher. No question about it.

And Witcher 3 had some visual difference, but 95-98% of what was shown was in the final version of the game.

You argue like my sister. As Bill Burr would say... If a women is right she will argue the point until it's dead. If a women is wrong she'll find another subject to bring up (typically one that really pisses ya off).

And how the hell do you call SC at AAA title? To be a AAA title you have to ship a AAA game. I've seen a ton of great amazing tech demo's but to call them a AAA game is beyond a reach.

He's not saying the game is AAA quality, but AAA budget. As Star Citizen has raised more money than any of the individual Mass Effect games costed to make (and by the end the number may approach the cost to make that trilogy combined!) this is a fair comparison. Your reference to credentials is also fair.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2016, 17:45 saluk

The bundles aren't really news, as their ship date of April was known even at a time when Oculus pre-orders estimate had slipped to June. I made the right choice to cancel the preorder and buy a bundle. The stock has been set aside to fulfill the bundles ahead of time. I'd imagine it's not a lot of stock either.

Of course I also made the right choice to cancel the bundle after my Vive arrived and I realized I didn't need two nearly identical headsets, just to play twice as many mediocre games.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Apr 13, 2016, 22:17 saluk

Wtf!?  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 8, 2016, 17:12 saluk

Both are "out", and for the most part work as well and for the purposes for which they have been said to work.

Shipping delays on both sides mean few outside of the media actually have them yet.

News Comments > Black Desert Online Sells 400K
3. Re: Black Desert Online Sells 400K Apr 6, 2016, 03:29 saluk

Good for them. I'm kind of surprised people still play these games, but who am I to judge.  

News Comments > HTC Vive Ships & SteamVR Launches
6. Re: HTC Vive Ships & SteamVR Launches Apr 6, 2016, 03:24 saluk

Vive has must play VR games and experiences, Oculus has 1 or 2 deeper games that would be the same game without the headset. For me there is no comparison. I really don't need VR to play a Dark Souls rip-off. Played the Vive for about 3 hours today and it was great!

Especially flipping people off in hover junkers after finally getting a kill lol.

Still early, generation 1, the state of the art visuals are still low res with artifacts etc etc. YMMV. Setup a bit annoying too. But it's the first holodeck and feels it. VERY happy with my purchase. I feel the same way I did when I first got a Nintendo 64.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 31, 2016, 18:55 saluk

I know I should feel sorry for people who entered their passwords to check. But it's too funny. Seriously CNBC... WTF?  

News Comments > Descent: Underground Adds VR Support
3. Re: Descent: Underground Adds VR Support Mar 31, 2016, 18:16 saluk

The immersion is virtual... but the projectile vomit is real.

How little things have changed though. I needed a bucket to play Descent without a headset back in the 90s.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie and Gunjack for Oculus Rift Launch
20. Re: EVE: Valkyrie and Gunjack for Oculus Rift Launch Mar 29, 2016, 16:53 saluk

Steazy wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 14:37:
Yes, and thank god Sony delayed the PlayerStation until FF7 was ready, and the CDROM drive wasn't available until Myst shipped... and Microsoft delayed the XBox to wait for Halo... oh shit, that last one did happen

Bad at this sarcasm thing.

Haha yeah. All of these have the benefit of hindsight. They may have been equally as successful without those titles on the strength of everything else they brought to the table. I'm not convinced the idea of the killer app is so important. Halo may have been the best thing released on the Xbox, but FF7 and Myst were far from the best things to come to those platforms.

Valkyrie is as close to a killer app as we'll see for the Oculus until touch ships. Sure, it's a bit of a simplistic dogfighting game, but the VR component adds so much. Not just in the missile-targeting mechanic, but in spatial awareness. I would not be surprised, if they were to open up the game to 2d play, to see a massive handicap for pilots who fly without the headset. But sure it's a pretty genre limited advantage.

The coming tracked controllers definitely have a larger case for stuff that you can do with VR games that you couldn't do before. We'll see probably by the end of the year whether they are able to make that case strong enough.

Still, I would be surprised if VR leaves niche (though a large, profitable one) in less than 5 years.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 25, 2016, 14:24 saluk

Lol @ T-Mobile with their net neutrality breaking binge-on accusing their rivals of something they weren't actually doing.  

News Comments > The Long Journey Home This Year
3. Re: The Long Journey Home This Year Mar 17, 2016, 19:30 saluk

Aw man, I thought this was "http://tlj.wikia.com/wiki/The_Longest_Journey_Home"

Like we need another underwhelming space game. Not that a disappointing adventure game sequel is that much better

News Comments > AMD's VR Headset & Dual-GPU Pro Video Card Announced
11. Re: AMD's VR Headset & Dual-GPU Pro Video Card Announced Mar 15, 2016, 17:36 saluk

I think this is more of a proof of concept than something intended to capture a large market. Positional tracking via inside-out camera, not having to be tethered, and more power than in mobile vr are nice. Still, I don't see this device making much headway, even among enthusiasts.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 14, 2016, 16:12 saluk

Runaway indie success, and AAA shovelware continuing to do well. PC gaming not dead.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
7. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 11, 2016, 14:48 saluk

And they did a 24 hour stream on twitch where everyone was egging each other on to up pledges.  

News Comments > Limit Theory Engine Tune-up
5. Re: Limit Theory Engine Tune-up Mar 11, 2016, 14:46 saluk

The 80/20 problem in action.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2016, 01:51 saluk

So wait. Are the Feds arguing that Apple should comply because they want the same power over their populace that China has over theirs? Sorry bud. This is the US of A. Not China. Not sure how you got the two confused.  

1045 Comments. 53 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo