Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1156 (Pro)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2017, 19:36 saluk

10% of the way to the Wii U lifetime sales. I would not be surprised if it surpasses the Wii U by end of year, though I think 2 years is a more reasonable prediction, once zelda-fever cools off and there are no more notable games coming out for a while.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PS4 Games Coming to PCs via PS Now
6. Re: PS4 Games Coming to PCs via PS Now Mar 13, 2017, 22:32 saluk

My friend has played numerous PS3 games on his PS4 to completion. Sniper Elite, Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us, Uncharted. Sure, it's not as good as native media, but it's pretty darn close. For the price of a controller and a reasonable content subscription I can play FF15 now rather than wait for a bad port, and horizon dawn at all. (Assuming those games will be on the service)  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews
11. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 12:29 saluk

Most of us who had a slightly lower card DID wait because the TI was going to come soon enough.

A better graphics card is always on the way. Most of the time, you make the decision of what is the best value when you are actually in the mood to upgrade.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XV PC Plans?
18. Re: FINAL FANTASY XV PC Plans? Mar 5, 2017, 01:22 saluk

I'm not holding my breath just yet. This was a tech demo at a developer conference, and since most development happens on pc anyway it's not a surprise in any way that they were demoing it from pc.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 5, 2017, 01:13 saluk

DangerDog wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 11:46:
They should completely remove technology from schools up till at least grade 5.

you see these zombie kids glued to tablets and cellphone screens being pushed around in grocery carts everywhere, many of which could use the exercise of actually walking in the grocery store.

Don't you dare take my oregon trail, logo, and odell lake away from my childhood!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb3XhWL3rEQ

News Comments > The Golf Club VR Tees Off
3. Re: The Golf Club VR Tees Off Feb 25, 2017, 20:09 saluk

Ozmodan wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 16:13:
VR golf just sounds absurdly stupid.

Wow. I don't even know what to say to this, considering golf simulation equipment is one of the few VR-like applications that didn't disappear in the mid-90s when vr failed.

News Comments > Steam VR Drops Course Requirement
22. Re: On Sale Feb 23, 2017, 04:16 saluk

Kxmode wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 03:13:
Slick wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 19:33:
Yeah Plasmas were only the first-gen massive flat panels. They led the way to the evolution of the LCD space where prices came down, mass acceptance was had, and within a decade all TVs were flat, and aspect ratios changed to 16:9 to boot.

Further on this silly tangent, plasmas have a huge legacy as a premium viewing experience, people still speak of the Pioneer Kuro Plasmas with hushed tones of reverence. But all of that is giving way to OLED, which is the spiritual-successor to plasma. self-emitting pixels, great motion handling, great contrast, great blacks. If you've paid attention to the 2017 CES coverage you'd know that OLEDs are starting to spread their wings.

The whole point was that the first-gen adopters can always expect a highly inefficient, highly costly iteration of a new idea. No one thought that the hard-drive'd first gen iPods were anything but a niche product, and that gave way to mobile everything once the tech was sorted out, prices came down, etc. etc. etc.

I don't see how you could differentiate these first baby steps that VR is taking (less than a year old, commercially) from a flop or the beginnings of something that will change how people interact and communicate for years to come. As someone who's actually followed the evolution of VR since early 2014, I can say that without question the interest and outside investment has gone up exponentially year-on-year. I don't see what analysis you have that would counteract the utter plethora of new money flowing into VR in the last 12 months. In other words, according to you, up is down.

I seriously like your conclusions. You present great counterpoints worth discussing.

For me, today's VR is like Laserdisc versus DVD. Laserdiscs, introduced in 1978 (17 years before DVD), are as good as DVDs. Unfortunately, the technology never reached market appeal. Why? The biggest barrier was the cost of ownership. I am not entirely sure when LD apexed, so I shall ballpark in US Dollars from 1990. An entry level LD player started around $300 ($557 - 2017), but the more feature-rich could go for as much as $1,500 ($2,787). The average price for a Laserdisc movie was $35 to $40 ($65 - $74) with no bonus features. For the bonus stuff, special editions typically sold for over $100 ($186). Lastly, the projector. The format was designed to produce the best picture and sound and most videophiles preferred rooms with CRT projectors for the actual cinema experience. All of that could cost thousands of dollars in the 80's and 90's. I think it is easy to see why DVD won. The format's size, ease to use and maintain, relative durability, standard bonus features, superb quality after repeated viewings, and the ability to watch an entire film without changing or flipping discs. However, what I believe won mass market appeal was the cost. DVD players were moderately priced, and during the early years, DVD films were cheap to purchase thanks to Internet sites like DVDPriceSearch.com. Combined with cross-brand standards and inexpensive production all of this become the "killer app" which pushed DVD technology to mass market appeal for home entertainment.

The differentiation is that I see today's VR as the LaserDisc, and not the DVD. It is simply not catching on like it needs to to be successful. VR does not have the time like LD had to germinate. Technology moves quickly, and its shelf-life has an expiration. Like you say, perhaps today's VR will birth the next iteration (e.g. "DVD") that will catch on and spread like wildfire. For instance, China has no copyright laws, and they are one of the world's biggest builders of technology products. It is possible they could enter the U.S. market with VR tech that works as good as the Rift and Vive but for a fraction of the price (by then most people will likely have upgraded to the required hardware via Dell and HP machines). The TL;DR: I based my conclusions on analyzing the current market trend towards VR technology, and what I see isn't good for the consumer or the companies investing a significant amount of capital in it.

I do hope VR catches on though because, beyond gaming, VR has fantastic application in science, medicine, exploration (Google Earth VR is amazing), and education.

Hope this clarified my point of view.

I am pro-vr, but the big difference here is that laserdiscs contained essentially the same content that you could get in other formats. The same was true for dvds. Dvds became mass market when the price-vs-amount/quality of the content available on that format beat the ratio provided by existing formats. The price had to be close enough to vhs, and the amount of extra content added (bonus features etc) made the percieved quality of the dvd high enough, that it really felt like you were getting something for your money. But the content was already something people wanted.

The hard thing with vr, is it's not content that is available in other formats. It's new content only, and people don't know whether they want it or not. Even when you try it, it can be hard to judge what those kinds of experiences that are available now is actually worth paying for - not to mention having no idea if there will be new content later that is also worth having, or even what that new content might be like.

There has been some fun content, and I think I've gotten the 1000 bucks I spent on it out of it, but at the end of the day there are only a few titles that I go back to. It's still a very experimental time. We are not even to the silent movie era. It's like those early motion picture tests where everyone ooed and awed that stuff looked like it was moving. Like when people ran out of the theater thinking the train was going to come out of the screen.

I think what slick was pointing to though is the amount of different companies getting involved still shows growth rather than decline. Growth is growth. There has certainly been some overeager projections and astronomical expectations.

News Comments > Steam VR for Linux Debuts
5. Re: Steam VR for Linux Debuts Feb 23, 2017, 03:51 saluk

Rilcon wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 19:57:
Well, I know two, so, uh...?

Yep. You know the two!

I mean, I use linux and have a vive, but I don't use linux desktops.

News Comments > Syberia 3 in April
5. Re: Syberia 3 in April Feb 10, 2017, 05:29 saluk

WHAT  

News Comments > Rock Band VR Next Month
15. Re: Rock Band VR Next Month Feb 8, 2017, 02:47 saluk

Slick wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 00:04:
So Kickstarter fails, next step is sucking the facebook dick for sweet sweet exclusivity money. SteamVR needs a proper fund for exclusives, in a console war, you can't just sit out the exclusive battle. Sony has figured this out. But GabeN is pretty cheap considering the Steam Support options... so whatever, everyone who got the Vive continues to be left behind.

Read on the HoloPpoint steam discussion (Dev post) that their game needs a minumum of 3 sensors to work with the Rift's "room scale", not the suggested 2. And they say there's still tracking errors with 3, you need 4 for seamless tracking. Piece of shit inferior solution, but they're getting all the games. #SAD

^

News Comments > 25M Overwatch Players
16. Re: 25M Overwatch Players Jan 27, 2017, 19:22 saluk

Flatline wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 18:24:
Bumpy wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 17:35:
I don't get the popularity of this toon game.

Why the mass appeal?

It's a reasonably polished Team Fortress style game with good art direction that hasn't quite gone batshiat like TF2 did.

There are a lot of fps' but not that many good ones, especially in this category. So almost everyone who likes this category is going to play this game.

I wonder if that 25m counts free weekends. I played on a free weekend. I've learned my lesson to not buy multiplayer focused games though. Well, then I picked up BF1. But after BF1 I've learned my lesson. I promise.

(I play for 1 or 2 days and then go back to single player stuff)

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 12, 2017, 19:43 saluk

Oculus are annoying, but ZeniMax are out to lunch with this lawsuit. Even if they may have some legal ground to stand on (quite dubious by my non-lawyer eyes).  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 12, 2017, 19:33 saluk

I can't see how it will be successful, though I love what it brings to the table.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Torment: Tides of Numenera
31. Re: Gone Gold - Torment: Tides of Numenera Jan 12, 2017, 18:58 saluk

Lol this thread. Was entertaining, but I gotta go back to real life now.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
18. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 20:12 saluk

WIth the same amount of tabs chrome vs firefox memory usage is roughly equal. I find that in my usage, firefox tends to support slightly more tabs for the same amount of memory, but it's pretty negligible.

I stick with firefox out of trust, and it's never let me down. They did piss me off last year when they stopped supporting the amazing tab groups feature that no one except me seemed to use.

That thing was amazing. There are add-ons but I haven't found any that work as well as that did.

News Comments > Steam Top 100 of 2016
46. Re: Steam Top 100 of 2016 Jan 2, 2017, 17:19 saluk

Rhino wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 14:53:
I'd also like to see that compared to the top 100 returns of 2016 (no, I don't expect that we ever will). I'd be willing to bet that No Man's Sky appearance on this list would be offset a bit.

If the list is based on total revenue, then it may be offset by returns already. Besides, it takes more than 2 hours to find out there are only 4 hours of gameplay.

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin
43. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin Dec 23, 2016, 03:04 saluk

Rigs wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 21:44:
Ok, enough of my rambling...I noticed today that STEAM has Mass Effect 1 and 2 but no 3? Why? I own both 1 and 2 but I've been wanting to get 3 or maybe an all-in-one GOTY edition with the DLC's. I didn't see anything like that on STEAM. I know it's on Origin, obviously, where my ME1 and 2 installs are currently, but I expected it to be on STEAM if the first two were there. Strange...

When Electronics Arts launched Origin, essentially every game they made after that was no longer on Steam. They didn't like the licensing terms for steam relating to DLC, and thus Origin was born. Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, and Battlefield... was it 4? are the most prominent of their series that are now irritatingly split across the two storefronts.

Sometimes you can find them cheaper on steam, and then I think Origin can pick up that you own the game so you can launch every EA game from the same place.

Gotta love DRM baby.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Dec 23, 2016, 02:46 saluk

Never thought I would see Tron 2.0 or Armed and Dangerous again. I wonder how well they will hold up. I suspect A&D is more of a relic and Tron will still be fun. The first Indy adventure game was probably the game that got me into adventure games. So I'm not sure how I feel about seeing it again  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
46. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 12, 2016, 00:39 saluk

No, Trump not being office does not validate "but what about [insert failed candidate here]", unless the question is "why cant we overturn the election and get back hilary". Yes that is the conversation for some. But in other cases, when someone points out something about trump they don't like, resorting to "but hilary" actually weakens your argument.

But as we live in a post-factual era, we also live in a post argument era. Those rules don't apply anymore. I don't know what the rules are, but they aren't the ones anyone who is educated has learned. It's more like, shout louder and more often, and you win. It makes a certain kind of sense really. You don't have to win the argument - you just have to make the other guy shut up or talk about what he wants to talk about instead of what you do.

I don't know if Trump created this scenario, but he is sure capitalizing on it. Sure, he says things that contradict each other. Pretty much every statement he makes invalidates another he has made. But that just means that he angers and pleases different groups each time. Enough of that behavior, and enough people are willing to take the bad parts that they don't agree with for the part that really hits the mark for them.

Oh, and of course he is going to go against the CIA claiming Russian hacking. The Russians would be very... displeased if he didn't quickly reject the allegation. While I actually agree with him that finding the source of a hack is not easy, (and the evidence really is not that strong) his response near clinches it for me. Putting it alongside all of his double-talk about Putin makes me think he knew about the hacking before the CIA did.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories... but geez, it's far from a stretch here.

News Comments > Werewolves Within Breaks Out
4. Re: Werewolves Within Breaks Out Dec 9, 2016, 02:58 saluk

Even has a huge non-fan of the original game I have to agree.  

1156 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo