Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1096 (Pro)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > More Steam Review System Tweaks
7. Re: More Steam Review System Tweaks Sep 21, 2016, 16:09 saluk

Closer. I will take the fact that some games are hurt by this system over the high potential for abuse the old system had. (Devs can easily create a bunch of keys for their game and hand out to friends or even just multiple accounts of their own to spam reviews)

As far as granularity, statistically it is much easier to generate reasonable aggregate data with a small number of categories, and a small number of values for those categories. Since there isn't much vetting done of user submitted reviews, beyond the fact that they own the game, the recommend/don't recommend system is one of the better I've seen. I trust it a lot more than I trust systems that use stars or have more detailed elements of the review (audible for instance) because it is the easiest to be objective.

With user reviews, everyone has their own scheme, and opinions on how they grade something. But it's not hard for an untrained reviewer to say whether or not they would recommend a game to their friends.

And for the most part, staying away from negative, doing a bit of research (i.e. reading the content of a few reviews) on mixed, and looking more closely at positive or very positive, tends to work well for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 6, 2016, 12:30 saluk

Google should definitely grant those requests. I want to see WB try and appeal their own mistake and end up in a legal battle with itself.

What a farce.

News Comments > Labor Day Legal Briefs
4. Re: Labor Day Legal Briefs Sep 6, 2016, 04:04 saluk

I don't know about 'always'. It's more like there are periods where they either didn't notice what was going on or didn't care to do anything about it, and then periods where they crack down.

It's always a shame when it happens, and I can't see it having a positive impact on their brand when they do so. On the other hand, the creators of these games really should know that a shutdown is near inevitable, especially for a project that is long in development like that pokemon one.

If they had put that time into their own IP and developed their own game that was inspired by pokemon, they could have had their own stardew valley like phenomenon. So on some level it's kind of a waste.

News Comments > VR Funhouse Mod Editor
10. Re: VR Funhouse Mod Editor Sep 2, 2016, 12:19 saluk

Kind of cool that they have the source code on github.  

News Comments > BT Steamed at Valve: Suing
14. Re: BT Steamed at Valve: Suing Sep 1, 2016, 17:18 saluk

Maybe the in-house lawyers on either side are in cahoots.  

6. Re: BT Steamed at Valve: Suing Sep 1, 2016, 12:50 saluk

Oh geez, I just looked at the second patent. The method they describe of the client constantly polling the server to see if new messages have arrived isn't even how steam chat works on a technical level. Which is pretty much a requirement for a patent claim. It's amateur hour over at BT. What the hell.  

5. Re: BT Steamed at Valve: Suing Sep 1, 2016, 12:47 saluk

Why is there no statute of limitations on these kinds of suits? If you don't protect your patents within a year you should lose the patent. Steam is over 10 years old!

Heck, the first patent was granted in June of 2003, and steam was in public beta testing in January of that year. That should be enough for prior art. That took me 2 minutes to look up. Free legal services rendered by me, you can thank me later Valve. This should be the shortest lawsuit case ever if I know anything about the law.

Which I don't.

News Comments > PS Now PC Streaming Begins
12. Re: PS Now PC Streaming Begins Aug 31, 2016, 03:58 saluk

I'd rather emulate as I do with ps2, but working ps3 emulators are a decade away (if they ever manage it at all). I'd jump on this if it worked with my xbox controller.

Oh, and if I didn't already have a backlog of pc, ps2, ps1, 3ds, ds, and snes games to play 1000s of titles long.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2016, 18:15 saluk

Hmm. It seems a bit late to do a 3d update of t2 now that it's pretty unanimous that people don't give a crap about movies being in 3d.

Oh, DX:HR. I never finished that. Every time I try to play it it just makes me want to play the original again instead. I know, nostalgia glasses and everything...

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
12. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 28, 2016, 04:52 saluk

"Overall satisfaction is lowest among cord cutters (802), followed closely by cord nevers (807), while satisfaction is highest among cord stackers (826) and cord shavers (822)."

The highest and lowest satisfaction are 826 and 802. Doesn't seem like a significant drop. I don't trust these kinds of over complicated ranking systems at all, especially if they are not calibrated to differences in a meaningful way.

I think that it's also worth considering that cutting the cord is generally the cheaper option. Surely there are a lot of people reflected there who have reluctantly cut cable because it was so expensive and haven't adjusted to the streaming services.

Going from 3 channels to 20 was a revelation in the cable age; going from 1000+ channels to whatever handful of streaming services one can afford is a bit of a shock.

But guess what, if you watch less tv, you won't miss it as much and may even find you have time to do other things. I broke my tv while developing a vive game. I was sad the first day and after that I got back to my life (of consuming content a million other ways). We are living in a glut of media these days, it's really madness.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2016, 17:33 saluk

You can get at the same data that steamspy is basing everything on if you really want, so it's not like they were really blocking anything anyway.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Aug 26, 2016, 17:24 saluk

It's up! Buy buy buy!

No wait, it's down! Sell sell sell!

Woah, look it's up again! Buy buy buy!

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Aug 25, 2016, 14:20 saluk

That Little King's Story review was... something.

I forgot that game existed, and most people didn't even notice it at the time. Odd to see it resurface.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2016, 03:19 saluk

Developing for the Vive is nice, because you can actually target the oculus as well without changing your code. And yes, the hand controllers are a lot more fun to play around with from a design standpoint.  

News Comments > Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up
32. Re: Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up Aug 23, 2016, 14:59 saluk

If he "stole" anything, it was semantics over how much of his personal projects belonged to the company. I'm against those kind of clauses in general, so even if it turns out to be true, fuck zenimax. The only reason they care is that having Carmack made them look better and they are pissed he left; and the reason he left was because they DIDN'T CARE ABOUT VR, and now VR is a thing, so they have egg on their face they are trying to clean up.

But throwing that egg at a beloved developer is not going to make you look any better, you dumb idiots.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 23, 2016, 14:54 saluk

Yeah that 40 million was the fad phase, and we are moving into the more realistic phase. They should still be sweating though. Certainly a portion of those lost players would still be playing if the game wasn't 1) completely broken and 2) devoid of anything interesting to do beyond collect 'em all.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released
38. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released Aug 23, 2016, 14:49 saluk

fawker wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 13:13:
Unusually high amount of salted popcorn flying in the Steam forums. Mostly performance issue on new high end cards. For an engine that has been around since 2012 (Hitman) this is surprising.

It's not surprising at all. It's common that new generation cards have mysterious performance issues on games which mostly targeted earlier generations.

More cynically, pc ports these days amirite? It will be fixed in 6 mo to a year.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Details and Plans
42. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Details and Plans Aug 22, 2016, 18:56 saluk

It's a great game... for me to poop on!

But seriously, for having literally zero expectations and never seeing any evidence of the game that so many seemed to think it was going to be (I guess my bs meter is so strong that I don't even consider the prerelease info to be bs), I am having a good time. 20 hours so far, and it's easily worth 30$. I'm interested in whether or not they can improve the game and make it something a little more than the fractal explorer it mostly is.

Despite being critically underwhelming and disappointing many fans, for some reason it is still doing quite well on the charts. So I hope they take their profits and do something worthwhile with them. There is a strong base her if they focus on gameplay. Maybe in a year it can be worth 60$

News Comments > Ubisoft VR Games Release Schedule
3. Re: Ubisoft VR Games Release Schedule Aug 18, 2016, 15:25 saluk

I'm pretty intrigued by bridge commander, but Werewolves? I don't need VR to play my least favorite party game ever thanks.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
15. Re: Game Reviews Aug 14, 2016, 12:24 saluk

Phasenoise wrote on Aug 14, 2016, 09:37:
I'll never understand polygon. I guess it's that my interests never intersect with theirs.

While flawed and I totally get (and agree with) the criticism, NMS is actually pretty decent and interesting, for what it is. I also agree with the very common point brought up - this isn't a 60 dollar game. 30 at release, dropping to 20 very soon after would make it something much easier to swallow.

Still, I find myself wanting to go back and lose myself in the worlds again. It's weirdly addicting and soothing.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel. It's been a pretty soothing and psychedelic 7 hours so far for me, which would have already been worth 20$. But I do expect to get bored in another 7 or so hours.

The hype level was unreal and surprising, my expectations were really low. This scale of game attempted by such a small team usually falls flat on its face. I'm actually impressed it launched let alone is as solid and competently produced it is (even considering the pc porting issues).

I hope the team listens to the feedback and does better next time, either by tweaking the existing game, or taking the tech and coming back with a stronger, more fun outing in another game. Heck, even weighing returns I bet they will have a lot more resources to grow now.

1096 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo