Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1224 (Pro)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Super Monday Night Combat Closing
7. Re: Super Monday Night Combat Closing May 1, 2018, 01:23 saluk

Sepharo wrote on Apr 30, 2018, 19:36:
It's not that it's not possible to comply with GDPR it just that they don't want to commit the resources to do so.

I wonder how many other developers out there just don't give a damn or are going to be dealing with situations retroactively as they come up as opposed to proactively.

I'm sure there are some, but the penalties are pretty steep so it's really not worth the risk to neglect it.

Where it may have been OK to keep a mostly dead game running before, it's just not worth it now. I think it will get easier as new games will consider privacy from the start, but right now it's chaos unleashed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Get The Witcher Free
16. Re: Get The Witcher Free Apr 30, 2018, 14:48 saluk

Acleacius wrote on Apr 30, 2018, 12:35:
I'm in the minority but many of the quests are terribly written (chap 3 bank job, Shanni and Triss) and the constant false choices (chap 1 Abigail). Forced to play as a poorly written egotistical male instead of creating your own Witcher (male or female, good or bad or neutral) then learning about the world, while doing the main quest to find out what happened to the magical widget.

I mean, those would be fair criticisms if the game had been created out of nothing, but it's an adaptation of a series of books, and geralt is the main character from the books. It's called 'The' Witcher not 'A' Witcher. This is like complaining that you have to play Batman in a Batman game.

I thought the writing was pretty good, but this game was a bit of a slog to get through, especially towards the end.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 18, 2018, 18:18 saluk

Yeah strange choice for the answer to "which gibson novel should we adapt?" It is neither the most conventional of his novels, nor the most recognizable.

Stranger Things 2 got a little hokier than 1. The weird parts felt more obvious and some of the character reactions felt less believable. The good parts were still enjoyable.

I'm a little curious where they can go storywise at this point, I could see it getting real dumb real quick. Please don't make Will the focus of the danger a third time. His mom's been through enough lol.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2018, 14:28 saluk

Leper wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 12:20:
Vio wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 09:47:
Honestly I think steam sales and game backlogs as a result have done more to prevent piracy than all the copy protections thrown together.

Don't forget all these day 1 patches and then constant updates after that. Most pirated games (at least a few years ago) required a new crack every time there's an update. Who wants to play with an old version of the game? The whole process with keeping your pirated games patched and cracked isn't worth the effort.

Too right. Companies should have never messed with rootkits and such and put more effort into buggier releases.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 3 Plans Revealed?
5. Re: Watch Dogs 3 Plans Revealed? Apr 16, 2018, 14:20 saluk

wtf_man wrote on Apr 16, 2018, 12:44:
I actually liked the first one, even though a majority of folks seems to disagree.

It was a nice distraction, but I haven't thought about it much since. I had similar feelings about other non-gta open world games, like [prototype] or the whole saints row series.

News Comments > PC Shenmue I and II Announced
6. Re: PC Shenmue I and II Announced Apr 15, 2018, 03:41 saluk

If shenmue 3 is any good, I'm sure there will be many new to the series who are intrigued and would want to go back to be filled in on the story. So it's cool that they will all be available on the same device.

Big if at this point.

News Comments > Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes
33. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 12, 2018, 03:11 saluk

GDPR strikes again!  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 9, 2018, 05:07 saluk

Cutter wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 22:48:
The Long Dark? Really? Shitty abandonware from asshole devs. Won't even run on my PC for more than 5 mins without CTD.

It clearly works for someone's machine(s). You might want to try running in dx9 mode (https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/4/1290691308593730337)

While the story isn't that great, and hasn't reached a conclusion, they've delivered more than was promised. I feel like I got my moneys worth out of a game that stands out in a pretty crowded genre (filled with mostly awful cash-ins).

News Comments > Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free
9. Re: Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free Mar 30, 2018, 03:16 saluk

I've started like 3 times and can't make it to the part where it gets good. I want to play it because I know there's a cool twist, but before then it is the exact kind of bland shooter I suspect they are going to make some kind of point about later. Shrug?  

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 29, 2018, 20:12 saluk

Trumps hatred of Amazon has nothing to do with Amazon and everything to do with the Washington Post.

Amazon is scary but not for any of the reasons trump would point out.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Launch Plans
5. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Launch Plans Mar 26, 2018, 03:22 saluk

GothicWizard wrote on Mar 25, 2018, 17:11:
NWN1 used a poor ruleset (3.5 is far superior), dated GFX even on release (what happens when a game is in dev for 5 years) and now just plain painful to look at and a subpar main story which amounted to a mix of convoluted motives of the main NPC and a giant fedex quest. The ONLY redeeming quality of it was the MP/toolset. If it wasn't for that just on it's raw SP quality it wouldn't be on anyone's list higher then temple of EE. Quite forgettable.

NWN2 was far superior in both story, GFX and gameplay. Why they are hell bent on putting more time into this hot mess and not NWN2 is perplexing.

On the otherhand, the toolset was outstanding. I don' think I've put as much time into a non-mmo as I put into NWN1. And it took so long for the community to migrate to nwn2 that by the timer I felt like picking it up it seemed kind of dead.

No, I also don't see the point in trying to make it happen in 2018 lol.

News Comments > Unreal Engine Ray Tracing
19. Re: Unreal Engine Ray Tracing Mar 22, 2018, 17:58 saluk

Every few years another push for RRT. It's never going to happen because the industry keeps finding ways to make polygons work better. It's still a ton of artist effort to set up all the tricks required to make polygons look rendered, but the tools to do so and the quality of the hacks get better, while the complexity of scenes required for modern games stay very far out of available raytracing power. It's cool to see advancement and I think it's worth smart people continuing to whittle away on it, but don't get too hyped up about next years games or anything.  

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 20, 2018, 19:19 saluk

I don't get how this is news or a surprise to anyone.  

News Comments > HTC VIVE Pro Preorders
27. Re: HTC VIVE Pro Preorders Mar 19, 2018, 16:35 saluk

I don't need a better headset for Gorn - my personal killer app. It's a great workout I am happy to play for short bursts every so often.

I'd like the resolution bump for other experiences, but it's not really worth this price.

Still I'd rather they release what they have so devs can start planning to take advantage of future upgrades.

News Comments > White House Game Summit Recap
41. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 17:49 saluk

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 14:10:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 12:55:
mch wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 12:43:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 12:22:
Everyone wants more restrictions on the 2nd amendment. How about more on the first?

No.
When was the last time someone murdered innocent kids with the first amendment. Oh right, never.

Right, because nobody does this for the instant notoriety the press issues them. Oh, wait...

Why do they do it has many answers and no one really knows for sure which would have the biggest impact. Would not repeating there names or making a big deal about it on the news prevent them? Maybe. I do think that's one avenue that could be looked into.

How they do it though is a well known and solvable problem.

I'll bend a little on 1st amendment if you do on 2nd. Fines or losing tax breaks for news organizations above a certain income who report on stories in ways that may lead to copycats. If the penalties are to the corporation and not to individuals I'm kinda OK with that.

News Comments > Dark Quest 2 Released
3. Re: Dark Quest 2 Released Mar 6, 2018, 15:30 saluk

Their website provides no link to the game. Their mention of steamworks leads me to the idea that the game is on steam, but I'm not going to go search for it on my own. The greatest rpg ever doesn't do you much good if your business funnel is broken.  

News Comments > PC CHRONO TRIGGER Released
7. Re: PC CHRONO TRIGGER Released Feb 28, 2018, 04:22 saluk

Oh fun, I've been meaning to play through this again. Thanks for reminding me it exists.

Now where is my zsnes directory...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2018, 01:05 saluk

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 15:42:
"Our lawsuit is that we want a federal judge to tell the border patrol and the feds to not go on [Palacios'] property without permission or probable cause," David Almaraz, Palacios' other attorney, told Ars. "And if you all are going to keep doing that, you're going to have to pay for it. It's called the right to be left alone. That's what the Fourth Amendment is all about."]
This is one to watch.

article wrote:
"The cameras, which are in constant use, 24 hours a day, send alerts to the Border Patrol as well as state and local authorities.

"At approximately $300 per camera, they provide a high-tech capability at a low-tech cost," the Texas DPS website states.
Sounds useful. They should definitely be putting those up everywhere they can. And when doing so on private property, fucking negotiate with the owners of that private property, or make an eminent domain claim. You don't just take people's land and do whatever the fuck you want with it.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
15. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 23, 2018, 00:59 saluk

Move the interface to the sides and keep the 4:3 ratio. Done.  

News Comments > Trump Calls Out Video Games
29. Re: Trump Calls Out Video Games Feb 23, 2018, 00:55 saluk

NicklePop wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 22:31:
Single parents, "depression" *drugs* [Huxley eh?], violent obsession across entertainment media = broken humans willing to do violence.

Guns are no more a problem than knives when not in the hands of the post-Columbine generation (primarily).

Opiates kill FAR more people than a few hundred school shooting victims AND the majority of these psychos are on them.

- stop taking emotion drugs
How do we get them to stop
- stop putting your own needs above your childrens
- stop letting children indoctrinate their minds with insanity promoting media

Problem gone!

All of it's tragic, but don't change the 2nd amendment in a fundamental sense; law through emotion is foolish.

Your post is a bunch of wishful thinking that amounts to less than nothing.

The same platform that takes money away from the poor because they wont be able to help abusing that money on drugs or just being lazy is fine with letting weapons of war get in the hands of individuals who just want to cause destruction. These people are one of the things that is destroying America. Not the only thing, but a significant one. We now live in an America in which teens are afraid to go to school because they don't know if one of their classmates is going to murder them and/or many of their friends and teachers. These weapons that allow this to happen seem to be stupidly easy for the individuals who are least capable of respecting them to acquire them. Yeah, it would be great if we could reach their minds or their hearts, to prevent that desire from growing in the first place. But who knows how long that could take, what kind of effort that would involve, and we just don't know that much about what causes these triggers. Research is fucking hard - every year you see a new study that says the opposite of the last thing.

Limiting access to guns is hard too, but it's a lot easier than solving the root problem. Wnless guns ARE the root problem. I believe that it is a contributor of the root problem - the ideation that leads to commiting such an act needs an environment that would allow such an act to exist to fester in. But it doesn't really matter if guns are the issue (or a part of it) or not. They are the means. And as we all learn from crime thrillers, every crime involves a means, a motive, and an opportunity.

Stopping the motive is tough. We can work on the opportunity by arming teachers - but that just provides more means.

No means, no crime.

1224 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo