Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1096 (Pro)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > HTC Vive Ships & SteamVR Launches
6. Re: HTC Vive Ships & SteamVR Launches Apr 6, 2016, 03:24 saluk

Vive has must play VR games and experiences, Oculus has 1 or 2 deeper games that would be the same game without the headset. For me there is no comparison. I really don't need VR to play a Dark Souls rip-off. Played the Vive for about 3 hours today and it was great!

Especially flipping people off in hover junkers after finally getting a kill lol.

Still early, generation 1, the state of the art visuals are still low res with artifacts etc etc. YMMV. Setup a bit annoying too. But it's the first holodeck and feels it. VERY happy with my purchase. I feel the same way I did when I first got a Nintendo 64.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 31, 2016, 18:55 saluk

I know I should feel sorry for people who entered their passwords to check. But it's too funny. Seriously CNBC... WTF?  

News Comments > Descent: Underground Adds VR Support
3. Re: Descent: Underground Adds VR Support Mar 31, 2016, 18:16 saluk

The immersion is virtual... but the projectile vomit is real.

How little things have changed though. I needed a bucket to play Descent without a headset back in the 90s.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie and Gunjack for Oculus Rift Launch
20. Re: EVE: Valkyrie and Gunjack for Oculus Rift Launch Mar 29, 2016, 16:53 saluk

Steazy wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 14:37:
Yes, and thank god Sony delayed the PlayerStation until FF7 was ready, and the CDROM drive wasn't available until Myst shipped... and Microsoft delayed the XBox to wait for Halo... oh shit, that last one did happen

Bad at this sarcasm thing.

Haha yeah. All of these have the benefit of hindsight. They may have been equally as successful without those titles on the strength of everything else they brought to the table. I'm not convinced the idea of the killer app is so important. Halo may have been the best thing released on the Xbox, but FF7 and Myst were far from the best things to come to those platforms.

Valkyrie is as close to a killer app as we'll see for the Oculus until touch ships. Sure, it's a bit of a simplistic dogfighting game, but the VR component adds so much. Not just in the missile-targeting mechanic, but in spatial awareness. I would not be surprised, if they were to open up the game to 2d play, to see a massive handicap for pilots who fly without the headset. But sure it's a pretty genre limited advantage.

The coming tracked controllers definitely have a larger case for stuff that you can do with VR games that you couldn't do before. We'll see probably by the end of the year whether they are able to make that case strong enough.

Still, I would be surprised if VR leaves niche (though a large, profitable one) in less than 5 years.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 25, 2016, 14:24 saluk

Lol @ T-Mobile with their net neutrality breaking binge-on accusing their rivals of something they weren't actually doing.  

News Comments > The Long Journey Home This Year
3. Re: The Long Journey Home This Year Mar 17, 2016, 19:30 saluk

Aw man, I thought this was "http://tlj.wikia.com/wiki/The_Longest_Journey_Home"

Like we need another underwhelming space game. Not that a disappointing adventure game sequel is that much better

News Comments > AMD's VR Headset & Dual-GPU Pro Video Card Announced
11. Re: AMD's VR Headset & Dual-GPU Pro Video Card Announced Mar 15, 2016, 17:36 saluk

I think this is more of a proof of concept than something intended to capture a large market. Positional tracking via inside-out camera, not having to be tethered, and more power than in mobile vr are nice. Still, I don't see this device making much headway, even among enthusiasts.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 14, 2016, 16:12 saluk

Runaway indie success, and AAA shovelware continuing to do well. PC gaming not dead.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
7. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 11, 2016, 14:48 saluk

And they did a 24 hour stream on twitch where everyone was egging each other on to up pledges.  

News Comments > Limit Theory Engine Tune-up
5. Re: Limit Theory Engine Tune-up Mar 11, 2016, 14:46 saluk

The 80/20 problem in action.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2016, 01:51 saluk

So wait. Are the Feds arguing that Apple should comply because they want the same power over their populace that China has over theirs? Sorry bud. This is the US of A. Not China. Not sure how you got the two confused.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 10, 2016, 17:53 saluk

PSA: Don't connect your car  

News Comments > Valve on Virtual Reality
4. Re: Valve on Virtual Reality Mar 8, 2016, 19:20 saluk

descender wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 19:00:
Maybe the need to occasionally take it off and take a break will help people adapt some healthier gaming habits.

Heat will always be a factor... the need to enclose the viewing area makes airflow complicated.

People do wear stuff on their heads for other hobbies for extended periods and they don't fall off. For comparison sake, I had a helmet and goggles on for ~8 hours while snowboarding this weekend and they are way heavier than these VR sets will ever be. My neck is about the only thing that isn't sore today.

A helmet is pretty balanced weight though, and I think that's the real issue. I would think that even a counterweight on the back of a VR unit could reduce the strain on the neck. Having all of the weight hanging off the front of your face is a pretty stupid design.

Hide more of the electronics in the headband, a pod at the back of the head, in a pack on your belt or a box sitting on your desk. Basically put it anywhere but where the screen is.

Vive has the cord in the back pulling it down a little; and Oculus has a rigid back strap that accomplishes basically the same thing. You don't really feel them when you have them on because the weight is evenly distributed (as much as is possible).

I don't know that there is much to learn from this video. It's been a long 3 years in VR. Maybe just some things someone tried that didn't really work and then they abandoned it? This is before Valve moved on to producing the vive.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 7, 2016, 15:47 saluk

Make game people like, find out some people don't like it, and quit. Wait, what? At least he finished and released the game more or less as promised. You win some you lose some.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky in June; Preorders Underway
31. Re: No Man's Sky in June; Preorders Underway Mar 4, 2016, 15:13 saluk

Minus hype and years of waiting, this would have been an AMAZING 20-40$ indie title. It's not going to be good enough to support the AAA hype and 60$ price point.

I still think it will be a great tech demo to pick up and mess around with when it hits a lower price.

News Comments > Thimbleweed Park Trailer
3. Re: Thimbleweed Park Trailer Mar 4, 2016, 15:11 saluk

Yes.  

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed
39. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed Mar 3, 2016, 16:47 saluk

TheEmissary wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 18:14:
Cabezone wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 11:59:
The shit ending of 3 doesn't change the fact that for 99.9% of the trilogy it was telling great stories. It did suck all the wind out of me wanting to play again but I'm not much on replaying games anyway. The entire 3rd game was wrapping up the stories and it did them all incredibly well. I do get why it's what people remember most tho.

If the last bite of pie has poo in it, you ain't gonna remember how awesome the rest was.

The game series was great until the ending. I was expecting something more involved than a "War resources" progress bar and three re-skinned ending cutscenes. I was expecting some story branching to ultimately show the outcome of three games of choices. Anything really.

BTW, I thought Deus ex Human revolution was just as bad with the ending as well. Push one of three buttons to see ending.

The Deus Ex games are a lot more self-contained. Mass effect had already ended on two cliffhangers and promised something more satisfying after spending 100s of hours in that world.

News Comments > HTC Vive Preorders This Morning
42. Re: HTC Vive Preorders This Morning Mar 2, 2016, 15:51 saluk

vacs wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 07:35:
Leper wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 14:26:
Maybe too expensive for the average Joe, but plenty of enthusiasts out there will fill help fill the gap until if/when the technology costs comes down.

This is exactly the thinking which resulted in 3D Vision failing and 3D Vision is way cheaper to get than any VR helmet.

The cost for adding and troubleshooting stereoscopic support in any game is just not worth it for a handful of enthousiasts. Now with VR, not only do the developper have to get SS support working but code, debug and optimize the new control scheme for the game. This results in so much lost man power which could have been used to optimize the game for the general public/add features or game content/get rid of bugs which 99% of your potential buyers will benefit. Instead you lost time and money and something which less than 0.1% of your audience is able to use.

This will fail hard, no doubt. 3D Vision survived all those years because nvidia kept throwing money to the developers (and kept sending their own coders to the studios to help them adding support). But now, after stopping this tactic, none of the studios which offered 3D Vision support in the past (Batman games, Tombraider 2013, Just Cause 2), includes it anymore (Arkham Knight, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Just Cause 3).

There will be a initial enthusiasm and momentum for VR because it's certainly amazing and fun but the cost of those devices will kill it. Even for 400-500$ is way too much for average Joe and for this technology to become a success.

Update: Crystal Dynamics just released and patch to add SS support, so I stand corrected and that particular title. It still makes sense for them to add support as TR2015 is based on the TR2013 engine which included SS support, they didn't had to write one from scratch.

While the need to design a new control scheme and make a good VR mode for a game is going to make it hard for existing developers to pivot into the space; the new possibilities are attracting new blood into the field. It is an opportunity for indies to differentiate themselves from retro pixel art, and for high end special effects teams to gain recognition beyond a footnoote 15 minutes into a 30 minute credit roll for a feature film. The developing community for these devices is exploding with new developers.

VR isn't about enhancing what was old. It's about providing something new, and it will succeed (or fail) on its own merits, and within it's own market and ecosystem. It doesn't need existing developers to be persuaded to make content. The content is already starting to appear. (Personally I feel the launch library for both the rift and the vive quite exceeds the launch library for the xbone/ps4 console era)

Whether it will have a lasting impact or we just have a post-apocalyptic wasteland of failed companies in a few years is the real question. The investment into VR is staggering - a lot of people are going to win big, many are going to lose big too.

27. Re: HTC Vive Preorders This Morning Mar 1, 2016, 02:11 saluk

Saboth wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 18:47:
Just ran the Steam test, and my rig failed completely. Not sure how, get 9800-10100 in Fire Strike, OC 970 with a 4.6 6600k, yet my indicator arrow is on the far right end of the red, indicating not even close to being ready, and it says my 970 is the problem.

Edit: After running the test 3-4 times, the final test resulted in a "7", and the arrow being in the middle of the green "ready". Not sure why the other 3 tests failed.

Same for me, though I have an older 780ti (I think the 780ti and 970 are roughly equivalent in power). It was red, then it was yellow, then it was green twice.

16. Re: HTC Vive Preorders This Morning Feb 29, 2016, 14:01 saluk

Prices are for early adopters only for sure
800 vs 600 isn't a HUGE premium
If you can't move around then most of the vive benefits go away - but you probably don't need as much space as you think. Most of the time you can essentially stand in place and rotate, as long as you have some clearance to move your arms.

Moving around is not a gimmick. Because of 1:1 for head and hands, it gives the player much more freedom of expression than we've ever really had, barring kinect where the disconnect between your movement and seeing some representation on a screen was large enough to keep it uninteresting and unused. (Between budget cuts, mini golf, hover junkers, and fantastic contraption, it's use is already far away from anything kinect was used for). It is of course still up to designers to make use of that freedom of expression. It's well beyond the cheesy gestures that essentially map to button presses of yesteryears motion controls. (Although for sure there is still some of that! Grabbing your shield from behind your shoulder in space pirate trainer for example)

GearVR did come with a second foam interface - I don't know specifics for Vive but Rift does have replacable interfaces. It would be odd if they don't do the same on the Vive.

Rifts are sold out for 4 months and the Vive store was suffering this morning with everyone trying to preorder, so no, it's not stillborn.

Content available is representative of about 2 years of exploration in a new medium. We're still figuring out the verbs. So it's quite true that most of the games available will provide sub-10 hours of entertainment, except for genres that are already well understood and established, like simulators.

Rift has a slight advantage here as well as more devs have had access longer, and without the hand-mapping, they have mostly focused on understood genres. A lot of third person games and sims. They may only be a little better than their non-vr counterparts but the depth of gameplay is there.

So the choice is basically depth or magic right now. Or wait for depth and magic to align in future products. That is all.

1096 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo