Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1187 (Pro)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2018, 01:05 saluk

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 15:42:
"Our lawsuit is that we want a federal judge to tell the border patrol and the feds to not go on [Palacios'] property without permission or probable cause," David Almaraz, Palacios' other attorney, told Ars. "And if you all are going to keep doing that, you're going to have to pay for it. It's called the right to be left alone. That's what the Fourth Amendment is all about."]
This is one to watch.

article wrote:
"The cameras, which are in constant use, 24 hours a day, send alerts to the Border Patrol as well as state and local authorities.

"At approximately $300 per camera, they provide a high-tech capability at a low-tech cost," the Texas DPS website states.
Sounds useful. They should definitely be putting those up everywhere they can. And when doing so on private property, fucking negotiate with the owners of that private property, or make an eminent domain claim. You don't just take people's land and do whatever the fuck you want with it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
15. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 23, 2018, 00:59 saluk

Move the interface to the sides and keep the 4:3 ratio. Done.  

News Comments > Trump Calls Out Video Games
29. Re: Trump Calls Out Video Games Feb 23, 2018, 00:55 saluk

NicklePop wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 22:31:
Single parents, "depression" *drugs* [Huxley eh?], violent obsession across entertainment media = broken humans willing to do violence.

Guns are no more a problem than knives when not in the hands of the post-Columbine generation (primarily).

Opiates kill FAR more people than a few hundred school shooting victims AND the majority of these psychos are on them.

- stop taking emotion drugs
How do we get them to stop
- stop putting your own needs above your childrens
- stop letting children indoctrinate their minds with insanity promoting media

Problem gone!

All of it's tragic, but don't change the 2nd amendment in a fundamental sense; law through emotion is foolish.

Your post is a bunch of wishful thinking that amounts to less than nothing.

The same platform that takes money away from the poor because they wont be able to help abusing that money on drugs or just being lazy is fine with letting weapons of war get in the hands of individuals who just want to cause destruction. These people are one of the things that is destroying America. Not the only thing, but a significant one. We now live in an America in which teens are afraid to go to school because they don't know if one of their classmates is going to murder them and/or many of their friends and teachers. These weapons that allow this to happen seem to be stupidly easy for the individuals who are least capable of respecting them to acquire them. Yeah, it would be great if we could reach their minds or their hearts, to prevent that desire from growing in the first place. But who knows how long that could take, what kind of effort that would involve, and we just don't know that much about what causes these triggers. Research is fucking hard - every year you see a new study that says the opposite of the last thing.

Limiting access to guns is hard too, but it's a lot easier than solving the root problem. Wnless guns ARE the root problem. I believe that it is a contributor of the root problem - the ideation that leads to commiting such an act needs an environment that would allow such an act to exist to fester in. But it doesn't really matter if guns are the issue (or a part of it) or not. They are the means. And as we all learn from crime thrillers, every crime involves a means, a motive, and an opportunity.

Stopping the motive is tough. We can work on the opportunity by arming teachers - but that just provides more means.

No means, no crime.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed: Origins Adds Discovery Tour and Game+
2. Re: Assassin's Creed: Origins Adds Discovery Tour and Game+ Feb 20, 2018, 23:12 saluk

Yeah this is super great. It always felt a bit of a waste that all of the extensive research and effort the company puts into their worlds is just in service of a bit of entertaining fluff. One of my favorite parts of the games is reading all of the historical facts and sightseeing. Maybe if this goes over well they can go back and add it to the other titles.  

News Comments > Scrolls Ending Next Week
5. Re: Scrolls Ending Next Week Feb 8, 2018, 04:25 saluk

I didn't even realize this game had come out, let alone that it might be good.  

News Comments > Paragon Closing in April; Refunds Offered
11. Re: Paragon Closing in April; Refunds Offered Jan 27, 2018, 03:53 saluk

I think this is what happens when you chase trends.  

News Comments > More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit
13. Re: More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Jan 20, 2018, 18:15 saluk

Both scummy.

But this is really funny:

"We're suing you for using cryengine"
"We don't use cryengine anymore"
"We're suing you for not using cryengine"

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 18, 2018, 16:20 saluk

Creston wrote on Jan 18, 2018, 14:23:
WaltC wrote on Jan 18, 2018, 10:35:
AMD hit with two class actions--Intel hit with four class actions--the ambulance chasers have been busy. I wish them luck on suing both companies as they will need it--it's tough to win a law suit when no one has been damaged--which is the case because no Spectre or Meltdown malware of any description exists! You cannot get "spectre" or "meltdown" today--even if you forgo the current patches. These theoretical vulnerabilities exist, but so far no one has been able to create software that actually exploits them.

That doesn't matter. What matters is that the vulnerability is so severe that it HAS to be patched, and that the patch has a significant impact on performance.

If you scale out your VM datacenter for ~ 50,000 concurrent users, which your AMD/Intel vendor said you could achieve with $XXXXXX worth of hardware, and now you can only provide ~ 40,000 users with that same architecture, you have easily provable damages.

Intel and AMD are going to be raked over the coals for this. I'm quite looking forward to it, because I've bought a significant amount of both Intel and AMD processors since 1995, and I still have invoices for most of them.

The one thing that worries me is that AMD will go tits up from the damages they'll have to pay out.

The damages in this case are investors complaining about amd's messaging, so the theoretical exploit is the only relevant piece anyway.

But yeah, we don't even know if this exploit hasn't already been used. It's not like the perpetrators are going to advertise that they have stolen data without anyone's knowledge. They don't say where the data came from, they just sell it.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 15, 2018, 05:41 saluk

Never heard of slay the spire... glad I have now, totally up my alley.  

News Comments > ESA Takes on WHO Over "Gaming Disorder"
17. Re: ESA Takes on WHO Over Jan 3, 2018, 05:17 saluk

I think the WHO is showing just how out of touch with modern society they are...

...by waiting until 2017 before making this assessment.

How else do you explain flappy bird mania or people walking off cliffs to catch pokemon or dying because someone forgot to eat and played a game for 40 hours straight?

News Comments > Play Star Trek Bridge Crew Without VR
10. Re: Play Star Trek Bridge Crew Without VR Dec 22, 2017, 18:26 saluk

Eh, I think it's kind of a weak game. The VR helps a lot. It would be cool to see more people able to play however.  

News Comments > L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files
4. Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 16, 2017, 01:35 saluk

Kinda wish I hadn't played it already. I have no interest in a retreat.  

News Comments > Valve Cashing Out of Bitcoin
12. Re: Valve Cashing Out of Bitcoin Dec 7, 2017, 02:21 saluk

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 21:50:
Bill Borre wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 21:31:
I'm not sure why transaction costs are ever anything but trivial since it's all done through computers I would guess the business overhead for them is very low.

It's because transactions are % fees calculated in bitcoin, and when value goes up, then so do transaction fees. One of the (many) flaws of Bitcoin.

The currency has to start implementing fractions and move the decimal points a few hundred places to the right to reduce transaction fees back to normal

It's a little more than that. The transaction fee is part of the incentive for miners to mine the chain to begin with. When a miner mines a set of transactions, they are confirming that that block of transactions is valid - and are awarded based on the fees that the chunk contains. If the fees are too small, the miners dont want to mine it, and things grind to a halt. There are also technical issues regarding the size of the blocks and the capability for miners to even verify the block - with the current hash rate transactions take a longer and longer time to verify, which also contributes to increasing fees.

Yeah, definitely issues, in terms of being a useful currency.

Being a useful holding however... it's kind of winning at that for the time being!

News Comments > Valve Reviewing Review Reviews
6. Re: Valve Reviewing Review Reviews Nov 21, 2017, 12:59 saluk

ItBurn wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 12:41:
Quboid wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 12:24:
Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:21:
I wish they'd get rid of the stupid thumbs up/dowm BS and use a normal out of 10 sytem. We live in a base 10 world after all. And it's still the best way to get an overall feel for reception of the game.

Reviewers can use whatever rating system they want in their reviews. Using out-of-10 ratings for the actual score would mess up the aggregate score, which is by far the most important aspect of the entire review feature. With such a system, any score other than 0/10 or 10/10 is just telling the algorithm that your opinion is less important than the one-eyed fanboy who can only see the extremes.

Here's 3 hypothetical reviews, with numeric/thumb ratings:

1) Decent game, no masterpiece but fans of the genre should check it out. 6/10, thumbs up.
2) Very good game, they really listened to complaints about the previous title. 8/10, thumbs up.
3) LAME! MEDAL OF BATTLEDUTY IS FARR BETTErrr! 0/10, thumbs down.

Scores:
Numeric: 4.67/10, poor.
Thumbs: 66.67%, good.

The aggregate thumb rating is much more representative of the actual opinions expressed.

I absolutely disagree. I hate the thumbs up system and I can't stand the fact that the best game ever and a barely passable, generic, lowest common denominator one both get a positive rating.
Sure, there's abuse in the base 10 system, but it doesn't matter, it still gives better results.

edit: with that said, I'm not saying that the thumbs up system doesn't work, just that I prefer base 10.

You failed to comment on the point Quboid made. Thumb up/down gives much better statistical rating when there are many reviews, and since for the most part you don't know the bias of the people writing the reviews, the statistical value is more relevant to users than each individual review.

However, what they could do, is let reviewers give an x out of 10, and then statistically count things up anyway they choose, instead of JUST averaging the ratings.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 15, 2017, 01:12 saluk

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 01:07:
That FCC story is pretty dismal...

Also firefox really is faster, also uses 30% more ram.. nearly on par with Chrome now.. sigh.

Haha no kidding. At least it's still free as in freedom.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 11, 2017, 16:13 saluk

If there's anything you should never expect to be able to transmit over the internet discreetly, it's sex.  

News Comments > Decksplash Grinds to a Halt
7. Re: Decksplash Grinds to a Halt Nov 11, 2017, 16:10 saluk

Um, maybe give the game a chance and try a few more times? Fix your marketing and relaunch. What a waste.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 11, 2017, 16:07 saluk

Professionals having actual repercussions for unprofessional, doesn't happen often for famous people the same way it usually happens to us plebs.

Show up to work on drugs - fired. Expose yourself to your cast members and are told on 15 years later, lose business.

Ok the arm of justice is still pretty long for them but its something.

News Comments > Obsidian Tease
5. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 11:42 saluk

Verno wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:31:
Bill Borre wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 10:57:
I was thinking they probably regretted doing AP.

I don't think so, AP was really interesting. Shame they didn't get more time from Sega, it had a lot of potential and is one of the few true branching dialogue games with impact. It's an oft lamented game around on the web, it has some real moments of brilliance.

It wasn't just sega, there was a recent article about how much trouble they had in general working on the game. It was their first game developed outside of the bioware toolset/template, on their own so to speak, so they may have been a bit overambitious with it.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale Remastered & Resnarkled
10. Re: The Bard's Tale Remastered & Resnarkled Oct 29, 2017, 03:19 saluk

yonder wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 23:47:
"They are celebrating the 15th anniversary of the game's release" (the game referred to as "the classic RPG")

Ugh... I always love when they make sequels with the same name. Can't wait for 2028 and the 15th anniversary of Tomb Raider, with the cherry on top being stupid kids talking about it as "the original."

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Yeah, it's been 32 years, still waiting for steam trading cards for the original game.

1187 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo