Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1097 (Pro)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Werewolves Within Breaks Out
4. Re: Werewolves Within Breaks Out Dec 9, 2016, 02:58 saluk

Even has a huge non-fan of the original game I have to agree.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Man's Sky Cleared by U.K. Ad Watchdog
28. Re: No Man's Sky Cleared by U.K. Ad Watchdog Nov 30, 2016, 18:54 saluk

Game = x. Devs say game is x+y. Fans hear game is (x+y+z)^n. Lawsuit alleges devs say game is x+y+z. Lawsuit fails.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Adding Cross-Platform VR Support
7. Re: Ubisoft Adding Cross-Platform VR Support Nov 29, 2016, 17:47 saluk

This is the way to go. The fricken rift between... the rift and the vive on pc has been a horror show.

But I'm still not ready to pay 60$ for something like Eagle Flight when Google Earth VR is free. Although I might be willing to pay that much for an eagle flight upgrade to google earth.

I'm addicted to google earth can you tell. After about an hour of exploring Hong Kong, I spent another hour researching the architecture and why the skyline is the way it is because the experience generated a ton of questions and intrigue for me.

News Comments > Civilization VI Fall Update
5. Re: Civilization VI Fall Update Nov 19, 2016, 01:45 saluk

Did they fix UI scaling in 4k? No? I guess I still can't play.

Should have returned it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2016, 14:10 saluk

It's so good.  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Server Rental's Criticized
14. Re: Battlefield 1 Server Rental's Criticized Nov 16, 2016, 16:13 saluk

Wait. What do you GET for renting a server?  

News Comments > Wireless Vive Accessory Shown in China
8. Re: Wireless Vive Accessory Shown in China Nov 12, 2016, 03:08 saluk

Reikon wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 17:41:
This apparently operates beyond the laws of physics, as the creators say this adds adding no "noticeable difference" to latency.

Actually, theoretically, wireless is faster than wired since electricity travels much slower through copper than electromagnetic waves through air.

I think the speeds are actually roughly equivalent. Even still, the biggest problem with wireless technology is that the signal gets diluted quickly so most of the latency is in waiting to piece together an entire clean signal.

So, no, not against the laws of physics, but I'm pretty curious how they have managed to solve the latency issues.

News Comments > Obduction VR Released
6. Re: Obduction VR Released Nov 1, 2016, 19:42 saluk

Most of the issues you mention that make targeting Oculus make more sense than targetting Vive are about market share. Last I checked, the market share is fairly even between them. The actual markets I'm not sure about - perhaps Oculus customers shell out more money and are more likely to buy games? I haven't seen any good evidence to back that up but it may be the case.

Vive games are playable seated with an xbox controller, the same configuration as Oculus. It's how I play Project Cars. So it's not "oh, room scale doesn't make sense for our game".

In any case, supposedly this game is going to be on Vive at some point.

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Gold; Specs
18. Re: Dishonored 2 Gold; Specs Nov 1, 2016, 17:51 saluk

ItBurn wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 16:11:
Quinn wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 15:56:
MajorD wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 13:23:
Quinn wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 12:33:
Seen the gameplay vids. If this game doesn't make it to 144 frames per second on my GTX980, then it isn't optimized for PC.

Hmmmmmmm....how well do these games run on your GTX980/System: Rage, Wolfenstein: The New Order & The Old Blood, and The Evil Within?

Apparently Dishonored 2 runs off a modified version of idTech 5, so being modified I'm wondering how much more HP is now required with those modifications.

Additionally, I guess they had to switch from the Unreal Engine due to Bethesda publishing the game.

The game will run on Arkane's new internal "Void" engine, as opposed to Unreal Engine 3 that was previously used in Dishonored. The Void engine is based on id Tech 5,[nb 1] with art director Sebastien Mitton saying the team kept "[roughly] 20 percent" of the original engine.[21] Arkane removed unneeded elements from the engine like the mini open world and overhauled the graphics. The new engine is intended to improve in-game lighting and post-processing to help the game's visuals,[2] and allows the game to visualize subsurface scattering.[23]

All those games you mentioned, I hate their graphics and performance with kind of a passion. I can't and won't ever understand how those games weren't destroyed by PC gamers, although I do know Rage got a beating. Never enough, though. I was one of the very, very few people who complained about the bad Dishonored graphics. Or at least that's what it felt like.

Thanks for letting me know they use the same albeit adjusted engine. Ready to get underwhelmed.

I also don't understand why idtech gets a free pass. The engine has the worst quality textures and the worse texture streaming of all the engines.

While the texture quality is atrocious, I do appreciate the texture variety and lack of reliance on repetitive detail texture patterns and bumpmaps. I think for most people the tradeoff isn't worth it.

It seems like a terrible choice for the small structured levels of Dishonored, where lighting quality (another weakness of tech5) is paramount. But then, it's been heavily modified, so it's not really tech5 anymore. I'm assuming they used that base so they could easily access their existing asset libraries and design team members who are well versed in that engine.

News Comments > Nintendo Switch Announced
40. Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 17:57 saluk

This looks like what the Wii U wanted to be. I think it's a great move for Nintendo. It chases the same markets they were trying to chase, but they will be less likely to get in their own way. Releasing Smash Bros on 3ds and wii u was a clear sign that they were heading in the wrong direction. By combining their handheld market with their main console market, the overlap should allow them to build on their strengths.

Will that be enough to disrupt the tablet/mobile phone industry or AAA console industry? Of course not. But that's not what they are trying to do. They still have a very strong brand, and I think the Switch has a good chance of recovering a bit from the Wii U disaster (their first and only mistake so far that actually hit them in the pocketbook).

If they can couple this hardware with a very aggressive courting of third party content, and it's not JUST a platform to play Miyamotos newest masterpiece, it could be very successful for them. Still not disruptive. But successful.

If it's JUST a platform to play the latest and oft-delayed Zelda, I'll still probably pick it up. I'm glad I skipped the WiiU.

News Comments > Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope Early Access
3. Re: Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope Early Access Oct 18, 2016, 15:23 saluk

Frijoles wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 11:46:
Bundy wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 09:18:
I got an Oculus coming tomorrow and the controllers pre-ordered. I think I'll definitely look closely at this game.

Isn't it Vive only at the moment (unless you mean when you get the controllers)? I imagine they'd add Rift/Touch support eventually (when Touch is released). I'm waiting for them to add a few more levels. Sounds pretty short at the moment.

ALL vive content supports rift+touch. (Steamvr will detect that you have an oculus plugged in and render to it) You are right that this game probably wont work for Oculus until touch arrives however.

I'm pretty tired of wave shooters by now, but it is a well understood genre that can be done really well at this point. This looks to be one of the best of it's kind, so I might pick it up.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2016, 15:18 saluk

Buried in another not that interesting article about violence on tv that comes out just about every year and we are all sick of hearing about is probably the best justification I've ever heard that it doesn't cause real life violence.

"This is most vividly understood when you consider that in Europe they’re absorbing the same content that Americans are exposed to, and their crime rate, and gun violence, is exponentially lower. Or closer to home, look at Canada: They are receiving almost the same content we are, through streaming, cable, satellite, broadcast. And the violence in their culture is almost nonexistent compared to ours."

I've probably heard it before in another such argument but I'm going to make that my go to argument from now on.

Of course the guy who said that then goes on to say "maybe you should look at violence in video games rather than on tv" even though the same argument applies...

News Comments > GOG.com Adding Two-Step Logins
19. Re: GOG.com Adding Two-Step Logins Oct 17, 2016, 17:15 saluk

Shit, this is probably going to break my custom game launcher client again. Maybe if I disable 2-factor everything can stay the same.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 15, 2016, 13:33 saluk

The official xbox 360 wireless receiver drivers from microsoft are still not signed, so every once in a while I have to go click on "unknown device" and then scroll through the list and select "microsoft xbox 360 wireless receiver".

If they wont even sign their own drivers...

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed
175. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 14, 2016, 12:50 saluk

They have no financial incentive to finish the game. They will keep delaying until people stop paying. And if/when that ever happens, they will dump whatever they have cobbled together by then out the door and disappear into the starry starry night.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition
21. Re: Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition Oct 11, 2016, 03:58 saluk

And then there's me, still trying to finish daggerfall so I can get started with morrowind...  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 7, 2016, 14:39 saluk

It's the whisky rebellion all over again. Nothing ever changes.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 7, 2016, 14:28 saluk

We need to get off of li-ion technology stat. I mean, samsung is on the hook for shipping faulty phones. But it's not like this is the first time this has happened. Almost every year it seems, SOMETHING using li-ions has a catching fire issue.

It's not even only samsung phones. Iphones catch fire too! It is always a risk. Even with an old phone that has not had issues yet.

Makes me think twice about charging my phone on the nightstand right next to my head.

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins
23. Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 16:48 saluk

Darks wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 10:21:
Slashman wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 09:36:
Who doesn't support Paypal at this point?

Let me put it this way, inXile CEO Brian Fargo is on the Advisory Board of Fig. I think this pretty much explains it all. he and a few other members from other game companies started this site up. Looks to me its all about greed and how much money they want for themselves.

According to their stats about where the money goes FIG gets 40 percent of any funding they take in. seems pretty sketchy to me.

And yea, I agree taking PayPal out of the loop also took me out of funding this game. Another one of those loop holes they are trying to avoid by not having to pay Pay Pals percentage.

Here is a page that breaks it all down: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/invest

5% of the funds raised go to fig. 31% of revenue after game is launched goes to investors.

The 40% is the amount of the total game's funds they will be RAISING on fig. With 40% coming from wasteland 2 and torment sales, and 20% of other investing.

It doesn't look sketchy to me at all. Far from it in fact, if I wanted to donate to this campaign, I would feel much better about it than on kickstarter. The fact that Fargo is on the advisory board? That seems like a plus to me. Whatever advice he has to give them will be informed by his experience running successful crowdfunding, and as much as possible his decisions will be made on that board to benefit how well Wasteland 3 will do on this platform and minimize waste.

From what I've heard, paypal is a pretty shitty partner to work with. When you actually get paid can be variable, and they can throw a fit about weird things. Sorry that it's the way you prefer to pay, I'm sure they've factored in the potential funding they will lose to not have paypal and determined that it's just not worth adding at this point.

News Comments > Beyond Good and Evil Sequel Confirmed
10. Re: Beyond Good and Evil Sequel Confirmed Oct 6, 2016, 16:25 saluk

Great news, here's hoping the inspiration and lightning will strike twice. I think the original BG&E just came out at the wrong time.  

1097 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo