Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1175 (Pro)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve Cashing Out of Bitcoin
12. Re: Valve Cashing Out of Bitcoin Dec 7, 2017, 02:21 saluk

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 21:50:
Bill Borre wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 21:31:
I'm not sure why transaction costs are ever anything but trivial since it's all done through computers I would guess the business overhead for them is very low.

It's because transactions are % fees calculated in bitcoin, and when value goes up, then so do transaction fees. One of the (many) flaws of Bitcoin.

The currency has to start implementing fractions and move the decimal points a few hundred places to the right to reduce transaction fees back to normal

It's a little more than that. The transaction fee is part of the incentive for miners to mine the chain to begin with. When a miner mines a set of transactions, they are confirming that that block of transactions is valid - and are awarded based on the fees that the chunk contains. If the fees are too small, the miners dont want to mine it, and things grind to a halt. There are also technical issues regarding the size of the blocks and the capability for miners to even verify the block - with the current hash rate transactions take a longer and longer time to verify, which also contributes to increasing fees.

Yeah, definitely issues, in terms of being a useful currency.

Being a useful holding however... it's kind of winning at that for the time being!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Reviewing Review Reviews
6. Re: Valve Reviewing Review Reviews Nov 21, 2017, 12:59 saluk

ItBurn wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 12:41:
Quboid wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 12:24:
Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 11:21:
I wish they'd get rid of the stupid thumbs up/dowm BS and use a normal out of 10 sytem. We live in a base 10 world after all. And it's still the best way to get an overall feel for reception of the game.

Reviewers can use whatever rating system they want in their reviews. Using out-of-10 ratings for the actual score would mess up the aggregate score, which is by far the most important aspect of the entire review feature. With such a system, any score other than 0/10 or 10/10 is just telling the algorithm that your opinion is less important than the one-eyed fanboy who can only see the extremes.

Here's 3 hypothetical reviews, with numeric/thumb ratings:

1) Decent game, no masterpiece but fans of the genre should check it out. 6/10, thumbs up.
2) Very good game, they really listened to complaints about the previous title. 8/10, thumbs up.
3) LAME! MEDAL OF BATTLEDUTY IS FARR BETTErrr! 0/10, thumbs down.

Scores:
Numeric: 4.67/10, poor.
Thumbs: 66.67%, good.

The aggregate thumb rating is much more representative of the actual opinions expressed.

I absolutely disagree. I hate the thumbs up system and I can't stand the fact that the best game ever and a barely passable, generic, lowest common denominator one both get a positive rating.
Sure, there's abuse in the base 10 system, but it doesn't matter, it still gives better results.

edit: with that said, I'm not saying that the thumbs up system doesn't work, just that I prefer base 10.

You failed to comment on the point Quboid made. Thumb up/down gives much better statistical rating when there are many reviews, and since for the most part you don't know the bias of the people writing the reviews, the statistical value is more relevant to users than each individual review.

However, what they could do, is let reviewers give an x out of 10, and then statistically count things up anyway they choose, instead of JUST averaging the ratings.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 15, 2017, 01:12 saluk

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 01:07:
That FCC story is pretty dismal...

Also firefox really is faster, also uses 30% more ram.. nearly on par with Chrome now.. sigh.

Haha no kidding. At least it's still free as in freedom.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 11, 2017, 16:13 saluk

If there's anything you should never expect to be able to transmit over the internet discreetly, it's sex.  

News Comments > Decksplash Grinds to a Halt
7. Re: Decksplash Grinds to a Halt Nov 11, 2017, 16:10 saluk

Um, maybe give the game a chance and try a few more times? Fix your marketing and relaunch. What a waste.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 11, 2017, 16:07 saluk

Professionals having actual repercussions for unprofessional, doesn't happen often for famous people the same way it usually happens to us plebs.

Show up to work on drugs - fired. Expose yourself to your cast members and are told on 15 years later, lose business.

Ok the arm of justice is still pretty long for them but its something.

News Comments > Obsidian Tease
5. Re: Obsidian Tease Nov 9, 2017, 11:42 saluk

Verno wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 11:31:
Bill Borre wrote on Nov 9, 2017, 10:57:
I was thinking they probably regretted doing AP.

I don't think so, AP was really interesting. Shame they didn't get more time from Sega, it had a lot of potential and is one of the few true branching dialogue games with impact. It's an oft lamented game around on the web, it has some real moments of brilliance.

It wasn't just sega, there was a recent article about how much trouble they had in general working on the game. It was their first game developed outside of the bioware toolset/template, on their own so to speak, so they may have been a bit overambitious with it.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale Remastered & Resnarkled
10. Re: The Bard's Tale Remastered & Resnarkled Oct 29, 2017, 03:19 saluk

yonder wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 23:47:
"They are celebrating the 15th anniversary of the game's release" (the game referred to as "the classic RPG")

Ugh... I always love when they make sequels with the same name. Can't wait for 2028 and the 15th anniversary of Tomb Raider, with the cherry on top being stupid kids talking about it as "the original."

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Yeah, it's been 32 years, still waiting for steam trading cards for the original game.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Released
27. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Released Oct 27, 2017, 18:35 saluk

Another year another AC game...

... that I will buy and probably not finish until there are 2 more AC games.

Still, not all reviews have been that positive, ACG brought up some issues that seem a bit serious, though not everyone is going to care that it's the worst story so far considering how bad most of them are anyway. More worrying is the janky combat, but maybe he is picking nits.

News Comments > Fortnite Battle Royale Launches
9. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 14:43 saluk

Yeah, because PUBG didn't borrow ANYTHING from other games, least of all epic.

While their innovation level is pretty low now, Epic helped create the genre and created the tech that allows PUBG to exist.

Fortnight is bleh and this probably wont make a dent.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Sep 15, 2017, 04:08 saluk

I find it interesting how some negative posts about valve/steam have everyone shouting "hear hear!" and others have people going "what a crybaby."

I for one wont be deleting my account any time soon but I can see his point. You can be rude anywhere on the internet, this is true. Some places are ruder than others, and a lot of steam has become pretty much on the awful side. And you can't always just avoid it as it is surfaced in the reviews or in comments sections when you are trying to figure out if you should buy a game or not. That hurts the games, hurts steam as a whole, and surfaces the asshole gamers to people who may still be on the edge about how much they want to game at all. Toxic af.

Anyway... it looks like those groups mentioned in the article have been disabled. So the tantrum worked, to an extent.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Sep 10, 2017, 00:39 saluk

Who'd have thought - making an action stealth shooter with some rpg elements is quite different from a turn-based (ok, realtime with pause) rpg.  

News Comments > Songbringer Released
8. Re: Songbringer Released Sep 3, 2017, 11:44 saluk

Nucas wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 17:05:
this looks really, really gorgeous in motion. it actually genuinely rings of games from the 90s; like it's actually trying to push the boundaries of the art style and make the most of it, like the games had to back then, and not just putting on a retro-game suit.

that said, whether it clicks with you or not seems to depend on if "procedurally generated roguelike zelda" appeals to you. at this point that collection of words doesn't even get an eye roll from me anymore, just bored contempt.

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 09:10:
The reality is most people are mediocre at what they do and hence most games are reflections of that.
this was extra funny to me because you fucked up an url link in your post.

Whereas for me, that's like my dream game. It's never been done well. Binding of Isaac was more bullet hell than zelda. And the theme was not very appealing, although it had character. The best version of this idea right now I can think of are the rom randomizers for the old zelda games, but I'd love to play a new game intentionally designed for that. I'm not sure about this game though. It has a trying too hard to be edgy vibe that's kinda rubbing me the wrong way. I'm still willing to give it a shot, if I remember it the next time I'm buying a new game.

Which, sure, isn't that likely.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 31, 2017, 14:20 saluk

Every day on twitter I get that stupid "Killing title 2 is not killing net neutrality" ad from comcast that I then click on "I don't like this ad". Every day.  

News Comments > EA: Mass Effect: Andromeda a "Great Game" Series May Continue
20. Re: EA: Mass Effect: Andromeda a Aug 25, 2017, 15:47 saluk

Meh. I wanted to like mass effect, but none of the games have been particularly good. They do some cool things but the writing has been pretty weak all the way back to the first one, and the slapdash assembly of game systems (with a very different mix in each game) has never gelled together in a strong way for me.

It could have been a great series if it had built on the success of mass effect 1 instead of always taking one step forward and one step (or more) back.

It doesn't help anything that the writing has gotten worse in each game of course.

News Comments > Ghost in the Shell Shooter Ending
5. Re: Ghost in the Shell Shooter Ending Aug 25, 2017, 15:43 saluk

I'm a big enough fan I would have played it. If I had heard about it. Oh well, probably no big loss.  

News Comments > Bethesda Reveals VR Release Dates
24. Re: Bethesda Reveals VR Release Dates Aug 24, 2017, 16:15 saluk

Bundy wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 19:10:
Drayth wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 19:03:
Wish games would make the teleport movement in VR an option for those of us with stomachs iron enough to handle normal movement. I was all excited to get Obduction VR, until I started playing. I actually prefer the normal version because of having to blink forward everywhere in VR.

VR is incredibly immersive until you start using the touch controller to throw your feet forward...

I thought Obduction added locomotion movement in a patch.

Yeah they definitely did. Unfortunately the top speed is about half where I would like it, so after being all "immersed" for a bit I switch to teleport to actually work on solving puzzles. Still one of my favorite games to play with the headset though.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
31. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 14, 2017, 17:41 saluk

Lawbreakers is on the list, but isn't it a huge disappointment saleswise? I guess being 5 on the top 10 your first week isn't the best, but still seems decent. Are the people who bought it just not playing it yet?

It's nice to see Hellblade at #2, although it did get a ton of press. I like small teams really focused on making the game they want to make do well.

Never heard of foxhole, might have to check it out in a few years when it's ready.

News Comments > Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales
35. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 15:17 saluk

videogame crash of 2017 starting?  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
8. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 24, 2017, 19:43 saluk

Fuck GOT/GRRM/Neil.

Nihon Falcom: bring it on.

1175 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo