Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1146 (Pro)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ensign Watson Joins Star Trek: Bridge Crew
3. Re: Ensign Watson Joins Star Trek: Bridge Crew Jun 23, 2017, 16:02 saluk

It's a nice addition, but if the AI players don't tell a bunch of star trek jokes in between button presses like human players do, there's still little point in playing this SP.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed
36. Re: Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed Jun 19, 2017, 14:08 saluk

I have to come out against the "the reviews should only review the game" crowd. There are very few ways customers can register feedback to a company in a way that can be heard - swamping them with bad reviews on steam is one of the only ways I can think of to send such a message. Moreover, if a portion of your enjoyment from the game had to do with the tools that were allowed to be used with it, and those tools were then disabled, it is actually reviewing the game. I would give skyrim that does not support mods a much worse review than the game that allows me to customize it and make it appeal to me in personalized ways.

It is logical, as games-as-a-service begins to infect even single player titles like GTAV, that fluctuations in service quality are going to piss people off and result in this kind of behavior.

Ultimately of course, the poor reviews are mostly symbolic. Take Two is going to weigh the loss in revenue from poor recent reviews with the gain in revenue projected from the improvements in the online community, even if there was some collateral damage. They will come down on the side of what makes the most money. Which will probably be to leave things as they stand.

News Comments > Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve
11. Re: Writer Jay Pinkerton Leaves Valve Jun 7, 2017, 13:08 saluk

El Pit wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 11:42:
VaranDragon wrote on Jun 7, 2017, 09:26:
Thats probably it. Not much a writer can write about when there is nothing in development. Probably got tired of composing another Steam newsletter, or Steam Store promotion....

Who is going to write the backstories to all the HATS now? Oh my god oh my god oh my god...

I think the number of desks rolled to the HATS group was so big that he felt a bit cramped and just had to move on.

Or *gasp* did Gabe approach him to actually write the backstory to a GAME? No, just kidding. We all know Valve is no longer working on games.

Don't forget all of the meaningful content being written for Dota!

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Ends; Steam Direct Next Week
5. Re: Steam Greenlight Ends; Steam Direct Next Week Jun 6, 2017, 23:04 saluk

Prez wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 21:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 20:21:
Greenlight by any other name...

I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think the same thing. Greenlight was $100 submission fee and zero curation. Direct has 100$ submission fee and Valve has essentially admitted there will be no curation by them.

By another name and a few tweaks - namely making the fee per-game. One of the biggest problems with greenlight, is after paying the fee, there was nothing to disinsentivize just spamming project after project after project until one of them managed to, through chance, look real enough to enough people to bubble up to the top. If you do that enough times, it doesn't even matter if your game only sells a few copies. Because there was no cost to submit that individual game.

People who submit games that can't make money are going to run out of money to submit games. Not fast enough, with such a low dollar amount, but at least the machinery is there. If valve would actually move faster to fix the issues as they come up, there is potential here.

Yeah, I know. Not gonna happen

News Comments > Star Trek: Bridge Crew Released
19. Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew Released May 31, 2017, 05:36 saluk

Ouch, that is a pretty poor trailer. Game looks pretty good from the few let's plays I've seen - it's definitely dumbed down from artemis, but hell there should be a game in that category. The idea is just too cool to be relegated to a niche product...

Hrm.

News Comments > Old Steam Forums Closing
12. Re: Old Steam Forums Closing May 31, 2017, 05:18 saluk

It should be enough time to put together a scraper.

I didn't even know - or forgot - that these other forums existed. Seems like a nicer community than the "community discussions" I'm used to. It can't cost much to keep them running, but I can understand the desire to consolidate and stop maintaining it. Even some of the people who are upset about it going down haven't visited in months.

Time to let it go. Hopefully twitter is next.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
12. Re: Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2 May 17, 2017, 03:33 saluk

The crew had a nice map and the open world challenges were surprisingly satisfying.

Races were boring.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 03:30 saluk

Family sharing was intended to meet a specific use case. Timmy bought Prison Architect on his account. Johnny comes to the computer and logs onto his steam. Johnny can also play Prison Architect, without having to log into Timmy's account or buy a second copy for himself.

It can also be somewhat exploited, in that Johnny and Timmy don't have to be in the same family; and Prison Architect need not only be installed on one computer. You can play a shared game as long as your friend is not playing the shared game. But it's painful enough to use that it's not used as a piracy method.

In fact, it's painful enough I've only used it once or twice. My friend bought Jackbox on his account while he was over so we could all play it. I tried to play it the other day when he was at work - but he had to be logged on to steam in order to enable family sharing for the game.

I had to buy a second copy even though we could have used family sharing just because we hadn't enabled it beforehand.

Article is clickbait, and relevant bits we all know already. Bottom line though, don't love corporations. They are not people, and they are trying to make money. Always be conscious of what your money is going towards and what you are getting for it.

At the end of the day, most games I do not care that I don't own it perpetually. I could irrevocably lose access to half of my steam account and would maybe only shed a single tear. Depending on which half (As long as most of my to-play backlog is still there) I've spent probably somewhere in the 5k range over the lifetime of the account. Yeah it would suck to lose 5k, but I've also gotten most of the value out of it by now.

My kids aren't going to want to play any of this crap.

News Comments > Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D
19. Re: Happy Birthday Wolfenstein 3D May 5, 2017, 19:49 saluk

I remember playing this on my Grandpa's computer. He and my dad couldn't play it because it made them dizzy. I felt like I had a super power or something.

I've replayed it recently and the level design was still impressive. I know it's "just" mazes, but a few levels you really feel the character of each map.

BobBob wrote on May 5, 2017, 18:27:
Why did life seem so much better in the 90s?

• People strived to be informed and educated.
  • Television shows and movies had intelligent dialogue.
  • Jobs were plenty, there wasn't enough people to fill positions.
  • Companies believed in customer satisfaction.
  • Life felt prosperous, hopeful, and free spirited.

• For example: Back in those days, I used to fly NY (Upper East Manhattan) on a regular basis. I remember voluntarily giving up my plane seat, a couple of times - due to overbooking - but only because I was offered first class on the next flight and given a $500+ credit.

The internet had to come along and ruin everything

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
    1. Re: Evening Consolidation May 1, 2017, 18:44 saluk

I don't understand why anyone is even buying a switch. It's underperforming hardware, all of the configurations are awkward, the joycons are small and cramped, the kickstand is a joke, there is almost nothing worth playing on it except for zelda which is available on the wii u, there's really nothing new in mario kart, and the extra online features haven't even launched yet.

That said, very happy with my purchase so far.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
    2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 21, 2017, 17:27 saluk

Just to be clear, the court made the state pay money to the man for a workplace-related injury related to his mobile phone use.

You cannot legislate the laws of nature.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 19, 2017, 16:29 saluk

I fought the Netflix, and the Netflix won.  

News Comments > Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month
    28. Re: Grimoire Gets Greenlight, Due Next Month Apr 19, 2017, 01:25 saluk

I think I remember hearing something about this about 10 years ago, in an article on a number of these games that were in development at the time. Grimrock was there too (and it had been in development almost as long!)

Unfortunately, this looks... really bad. Not only the interface and the graphics, but there is such a thing as too big. It feels excessive and bloated. The combat is far too slow. I really don't need to try and keep track of 8 party members. All the items looks the same so you have to inspect each one to see what it really is. The writing is super cheesy, and I'd imagine there is a lot of it.

News Comments > etc., etc.
    11. Re: etc., etc. Apr 19, 2017, 01:14 saluk

MeanJim wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 23:08:
    RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 21:02:
    Steam Competitor
    Please be Amazon
    Please be Amazon
    Please be Amazon

The best orgasms of you life lost to electronic gadgets, there are going to be a lot of grumpy 60 year olds.

Amazon owns Twitch, witch is now selling games, but I don't see that being a big competitor to Steam.

Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 21:57:
    It's not Amazon, it's TenCent. We'll see how it turns out.

They can't be that massive, I've never heard of them before now.

Lol. I hope you are being sarcastic. Tencent is bigger than Amazon. It is basically the Chinese Ministry of Entertainment.

News Comments > Shiness: The Lighting Kingdom Released
    3. Re: Shiness: The Lighting Kingdom Released Apr 19, 2017, 00:57 saluk

Damnit where did this come from? Another one for the backlog.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2017, 00:52 saluk

In America, you are a boring waste of space nerd if you are into tech, and a teenage god if you are a jock who aspires to play football for a few years before you get brain damage and then sit on your ass collecting endorsement deals.

And you wonder why many companies struggle to find good workers in America and have to ship people in from countries where these fields are actually respected by the general public.

The foreign workers are generally better performers at their job as well, in my experience.

There are certainly cases where companies are exploiting the system (if there is anything that corporations are good at, it's exploiting the system). Reviewing the program seems fine and dandy, as long as they get a wide perspective from all the relevant stakeholders... hahahahaha yeah that's going to happen.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
    7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 14, 2017, 19:04 saluk

Always seemed like a limited edition cash grab anyway. Still seems dumb to discontinue. But Nintendo does what Nintenshouldn't.  

News Comments > Oculus Seeks New Trial vs ZeniMax
    14. Re: Oculus Seeks New Trial vs ZeniMax Apr 13, 2017, 19:54 saluk

Job security/creation for lawyers.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 13, 2017, 19:46 saluk

lol @ social media. such a low enragement bar.  

News Comments > Gearbox Drops G2A Deal
    4. Re: Gearbox Drops G2A Deal Apr 7, 2017, 20:36 saluk

Not only is this Golf for workgroups thing one of the weirdest WTF's I've seen this week (and that includes all of the lame april fools jokes), but it is buried within another article about G2A.  

1146 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
    and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo