Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1248 (Pro)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA 20XX Reviews
26. Re: NVIDIA 20XX Reviews Oct 16, 2018, 16:51 saluk

2080 ti is the "real" card, as I expected. It's mainly for devs, and the huge price is probably some combination of gouging, making the cards attractive to prosumer in being discount titan, and wrapping in the massive R+D costs for this line (I feel like this has been severely understated).

2080 is enough of a step up from the last gen to justify existing, but not really at that price. I think it may be an attractive upgrade for someone who didn't get on the 10xx line, but it is unreasonable. Conspiracy says they want to keep selling 1080s and 1080tis until the stock is gone. Sounds plausible to me.

2070, uh... yeah this seems like a joke. I was pretty surprised when they announced it though.

I'm buying a 2080ti, because I want to have a great 4k card, I'm still on a 980 so I'm not looking at the medium upgrade from the 1080ti, and I want to experiment with raytracing. (The stuff that is going to release for it, and coding). But I was on the fence about it, and I would never consider the other two options.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2018, 05:16 saluk

Man yells at cloud.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
8. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Sep 28, 2018, 14:41 saluk

Graphics drivers should not be updated to fix games. Because we are in a world where graphics drivers are updated to fix games, games that aren't regression tested against new driver updates are always in danger of having their workarounds broken.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 12, 2018, 14:30 saluk

Oh this will be fine. Microsoft never got in trouble for these kind of practices before...

(Ok, so it's kind of dumb that it's "antitrust" for an OS maker to advertise and integrate their own other software.)

News Comments > Pathfinder: Kingmaker Trailer
2. Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker Trailer Sep 4, 2018, 20:55 saluk

So this is like a city builder/rpg hybrid of some sort? I saw this at PAX but could not make heads or tails of it, and still can't. I wish there was a more clear description of how the game actually works.  

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 48-Minute Gameplay Video
26. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 48-Minute Gameplay Video Aug 28, 2018, 14:35 saluk

Overon wrote on Aug 27, 2018, 19:01:
Be skeptical. Took them months to create this demo making it all perfect and it's too heavily scripted to be representative of the final game.

It features edgy saucy language that only a teen would love. It feels forced like "I'm cleaner than a cunt in a convent"

It's got some very lame cover mechanic shooter tropes like desks and cars providing ballistic cover.

It just seems like a much prettier Deus Ex. Be skeptical.

Agreed on the "edgy"-ness of it. Reminds me a little of the first witcher with the collectible babe cards.

I don't understand why I should dampen my hype for a much prettier Deus Ex. That's like... all I have ever wanted out of gaming?

I do wonder about whether the final product can deliver. This is obviously a canned demo for the press (a good one at that), with all that entails, which is fine for what it is. Just doesn't give us a whole lot to go on really in the end, because we can only speculate.

All in all, pretty entertaining. I'm glad they released the footage. I've now watched more footage of Cyberpunk than any other game that was shown at E3, even ones that had more substantial gameplay footage.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 28, 2018, 14:27 saluk

Step 1: do or say something that the media will criticize you for to gain notoriety
Step 2: complain about biased reporting
Step 3: use claims of bias to eliminate those who report against you

News Comments > Shenmue I & II Released
3. Re: Shenmue I & II Released Aug 21, 2018, 23:41 saluk

With Shenmue, AAA gaming arrived. I'm not sure whether we should respect or fear it.  

News Comments > The Settlers Reboot Announced
2. Re: The Settlers Reboot Announced Aug 21, 2018, 23:35 saluk

This again? I won't hold my breath.  

News Comments > CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds
43. Re: CIG/Crytek Lawsuit Proceeds Aug 16, 2018, 13:56 saluk

Is there a scenario where both sides can lose the lawsuit? Ah, one can dream.  

News Comments > MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall
7. Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD Sales Rise, Reviews Fall Aug 13, 2018, 13:46 saluk

Game is hard and I suck at it. It must be a bad game.

Though I think that you should be able to refund after 4 or 5 hours for a game like this that takes time to get your bearings.

News Comments > IGN Review Plagiarism Follow-up
6. Re: IGN Review Plagiarism Follow-up Aug 11, 2018, 15:53 saluk

"Show proof that I have done this kind of thing before"

Really? That's really your defense?

News Comments > MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales
11. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 18:07 saluk

Quinn wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 13:46:
Running around killing big monsters so you gain loot to kill other big monsters. I am honestly so confused about why this is such a success. I need a new game... so I'd love to try this... but... but... it just seems so fucking shallow? :\

That's the beauty of it. Instead of pretending that there is more going on in the game than that core gameplay loop, the monster hunter designers went "fuck everything else" and just made that loop as good as it can ever be done.

Some of the weird choices the designers made start to make sense the more you play. For one example, the environments are all kind of the same. This means that you actually learn how to get around the environments better. When you are facing a new monster, you will have learned skills facing previous critters in that environment, and can apply your knowledge to the new scenario.

It's a bit more like a roguelike in a way. Instead of going somewhere new, you are heading into a familiar setting on each run - but different things will happen and you have to learn how to react to whatever new challenges your current target will throw at you.

The frame is simple but the gameplay has depth (it would have to for people to play the same game over and over for 1000s of hours each)

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com
23. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Multiplayer Delay on GOG.com Jul 25, 2018, 18:49 saluk

GoG is slow with updates. Anyone who buys games there should know that by now.

This is on GoG, and they do not make it easy on devs either. This isn't the first or last game that has had issues with multiplayer on the GoG platform. Some games have been pulled because keeping the GoG version in sync with other versions had become too difficult for the devs.

At least in this case it is just delayed.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Shadow of the Tomb Raider
12. Re: Gone Gold - Shadow of the Tomb Raider Jul 25, 2018, 18:19 saluk

These are bad games. I don't know why people like them.

I'll pick this up on sale

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned
24. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned Jul 23, 2018, 14:58 saluk

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 12:35:
Prez wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 10:56:
Say what you want about Murray and Hello Games, but they could have easily taken the huge bank they made off of No Man's Sky at release and walked away. Instead they put up with the criticism and derision and stuck with it, turning No Man's Sky into something many of us would really like to play. Not a lot of developers do that any more.

I was just thinking this but I also know he's smart enough to realize that if he wants the community to buy his next game he needs to win them back to MAYBE fleece them again.

He said in a recent interview maybe they don't even make another game, just keep investing in this one for a while.

This wasn't about fleecing, this was about someone who got really excited about what he was building, and didn't know anything about PR.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: How to lose your job Jul 21, 2018, 01:54 saluk

Slick wrote on Jul 20, 2018, 22:54:
So dumb.

So he loses his job and possibly fucks up his career, meanwhile The President keeps his job and people just love him more and more.

If I ever make a twitter account, you can bet your ass I'm gonna be a Trump supporter, at least those guys aren't so retarded as ruin someone's career over a bad joke 10 years ago.

The ultimate irony is you can talk about how the butthurt trump-tards dug through Gunn's past to find something bad... but it wasn't the Trumptards who overreacted and tried ending his career over something so silly, it was the libtards.

There's overblown outrage coming from everyone. Don't join a "side" they are make believe anyway.

News Comments > A Typo Broke Aliens Colonial Marines AI?
35. Re: A Typo Broke Aliens Colonial Marines AI? Jul 15, 2018, 16:03 saluk

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2018, 01:22:
Another way to read this story is: "Gearbox did absolutely zero testing before shipping ACM, otherwise someone would have fucking found a simple typo bug."

"Never" tested is unlikely to be true. I work in QA, and you are constantly testing throughout development. Insufficient amount of testing before release? For sure. My theory is that in order to debug other more catastrophic bugs that were coming up, they were constantly tweaking the config file toward the end of development. At one point, the typo was introduced. There wasn't enough time for a full QA pass after those bugs were fixed - and all that was changed was the config file so how bad could it have been? Quick spot checks that the game loads and can be played are not enough to uncover something slightly subtle, like "if you go out of the ai bounds it doesn't do the evade routine and head to the vents".

A lot of lessons to be learned here for devs everywhere. You should not be able to disable key game logic from the same ini file shipped in the release. Put that stuff in a debug.ini that only alters the default settings if debug.ini is present, and don't ship with that file. Production must schedule enough time for QA before shipping - and if the code changes at all, sorry bub, you have to do a full regression again, which is going to push things out.

Of course the real issue is the production of this game was a huge money sink for all involved, went off the rails early and stayed there, and should have been canceled but everyone was trying to recoup their losses. This AI bug is the tip of the iceberg of things wrong with this game lol.

Imagine QAing this beast. Playing it over and over, and trying to keep track of the bugs. As one bug is fixed, 12 more are piled on. Knowing it's never going to be a good game, but playing that level one more time to see what comes up. Scary.

News Comments > Star Citizen Refund Refusals
8. Re: Star Citizen Refund Refusals Jul 15, 2018, 14:22 saluk

saluk wrote on Jul 15, 2018, 14:18:
Awesome, terms of service can now be changed and apply to people who agreed to an earlier revision. I can't wait for companies to start taking advantage of that precedent.

Whoops, read it to fast. The case was not ruled on, merely dismissed. No precedents set. Phew.

News Comments > Star Citizen Refund Refusals
7. Re: Star Citizen Refund Refusals Jul 15, 2018, 14:18 saluk

Awesome, terms of service can now be changed and apply to people who agreed to an earlier revision. I can't wait for companies to start taking advantage of that precedent.  

1248 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo