Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname saluk
ICQ None given.
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1088 (Pro)
User ID 23037
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Nintendo Switch Announced
40. Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 17:57 saluk
This looks like what the Wii U wanted to be. I think it's a great move for Nintendo. It chases the same markets they were trying to chase, but they will be less likely to get in their own way. Releasing Smash Bros on 3ds and wii u was a clear sign that they were heading in the wrong direction. By combining their handheld market with their main console market, the overlap should allow them to build on their strengths.

Will that be enough to disrupt the tablet/mobile phone industry or AAA console industry? Of course not. But that's not what they are trying to do. They still have a very strong brand, and I think the Switch has a good chance of recovering a bit from the Wii U disaster (their first and only mistake so far that actually hit them in the pocketbook).

If they can couple this hardware with a very aggressive courting of third party content, and it's not JUST a platform to play Miyamotos newest masterpiece, it could be very successful for them. Still not disruptive. But successful.

If it's JUST a platform to play the latest and oft-delayed Zelda, I'll still probably pick it up. I'm glad I skipped the WiiU.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope Early Access
3. Re: Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope Early Access Oct 18, 2016, 15:23 saluk
Frijoles wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 11:46:
Bundy wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 09:18:
I got an Oculus coming tomorrow and the controllers pre-ordered. I think I'll definitely look closely at this game.

Isn't it Vive only at the moment (unless you mean when you get the controllers)? I imagine they'd add Rift/Touch support eventually (when Touch is released). I'm waiting for them to add a few more levels. Sounds pretty short at the moment.

ALL vive content supports rift+touch. (Steamvr will detect that you have an oculus plugged in and render to it) You are right that this game probably wont work for Oculus until touch arrives however.

I'm pretty tired of wave shooters by now, but it is a well understood genre that can be done really well at this point. This looks to be one of the best of it's kind, so I might pick it up.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2016, 15:18 saluk
Buried in another not that interesting article about violence on tv that comes out just about every year and we are all sick of hearing about is probably the best justification I've ever heard that it doesn't cause real life violence.

"This is most vividly understood when you consider that in Europe they’re absorbing the same content that Americans are exposed to, and their crime rate, and gun violence, is exponentially lower. Or closer to home, look at Canada: They are receiving almost the same content we are, through streaming, cable, satellite, broadcast. And the violence in their culture is almost nonexistent compared to ours."

I've probably heard it before in another such argument but I'm going to make that my go to argument from now on.

Of course the guy who said that then goes on to say "maybe you should look at violence in video games rather than on tv" even though the same argument applies...
News Comments > Adding Two-Step Logins
19. Re: Adding Two-Step Logins Oct 17, 2016, 17:15 saluk
Shit, this is probably going to break my custom game launcher client again. Maybe if I disable 2-factor everything can stay the same.  
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 15, 2016, 13:33 saluk
The official xbox 360 wireless receiver drivers from microsoft are still not signed, so every once in a while I have to go click on "unknown device" and then scroll through the list and select "microsoft xbox 360 wireless receiver".

If they wont even sign their own drivers...
News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed
175. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 14, 2016, 12:50 saluk
They have no financial incentive to finish the game. They will keep delaying until people stop paying. And if/when that ever happens, they will dump whatever they have cobbled together by then out the door and disappear into the starry starry night.  
News Comments > Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition
21. Re: Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition Oct 11, 2016, 03:58 saluk
And then there's me, still trying to finish daggerfall so I can get started with morrowind...  
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 7, 2016, 14:39 saluk
It's the whisky rebellion all over again. Nothing ever changes.  
News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 7, 2016, 14:28 saluk
We need to get off of li-ion technology stat. I mean, samsung is on the hook for shipping faulty phones. But it's not like this is the first time this has happened. Almost every year it seems, SOMETHING using li-ions has a catching fire issue.

It's not even only samsung phones. Iphones catch fire too! It is always a risk. Even with an old phone that has not had issues yet.

Makes me think twice about charging my phone on the nightstand right next to my head.
News Comments > Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins
23. Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 16:48 saluk
Darks wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 10:21:
Slashman wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 09:36:
Who doesn't support Paypal at this point?

Let me put it this way, inXile CEO Brian Fargo is on the Advisory Board of Fig. I think this pretty much explains it all. he and a few other members from other game companies started this site up. Looks to me its all about greed and how much money they want for themselves.

According to their stats about where the money goes FIG gets 40 percent of any funding they take in. seems pretty sketchy to me.

And yea, I agree taking PayPal out of the loop also took me out of funding this game. Another one of those loop holes they are trying to avoid by not having to pay Pay Pals percentage.

Here is a page that breaks it all down:

5% of the funds raised go to fig. 31% of revenue after game is launched goes to investors.

The 40% is the amount of the total game's funds they will be RAISING on fig. With 40% coming from wasteland 2 and torment sales, and 20% of other investing.

It doesn't look sketchy to me at all. Far from it in fact, if I wanted to donate to this campaign, I would feel much better about it than on kickstarter. The fact that Fargo is on the advisory board? That seems like a plus to me. Whatever advice he has to give them will be informed by his experience running successful crowdfunding, and as much as possible his decisions will be made on that board to benefit how well Wasteland 3 will do on this platform and minimize waste.

From what I've heard, paypal is a pretty shitty partner to work with. When you actually get paid can be variable, and they can throw a fit about weird things. Sorry that it's the way you prefer to pay, I'm sure they've factored in the potential funding they will lose to not have paypal and determined that it's just not worth adding at this point.
News Comments > Beyond Good and Evil Sequel Confirmed
10. Re: Beyond Good and Evil Sequel Confirmed Oct 6, 2016, 16:25 saluk
Great news, here's hoping the inspiration and lightning will strike twice. I think the original BG&E just came out at the wrong time.  
News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 3, 2016, 16:42 saluk
"The weak Evidence Behind Brain-Training Games"

Oh no, the jig is up! No matter what health kick you jump on, you are still going to get old and die!
News Comments > More Steam Review System Tweaks
7. Re: More Steam Review System Tweaks Sep 21, 2016, 16:09 saluk
Closer. I will take the fact that some games are hurt by this system over the high potential for abuse the old system had. (Devs can easily create a bunch of keys for their game and hand out to friends or even just multiple accounts of their own to spam reviews)

As far as granularity, statistically it is much easier to generate reasonable aggregate data with a small number of categories, and a small number of values for those categories. Since there isn't much vetting done of user submitted reviews, beyond the fact that they own the game, the recommend/don't recommend system is one of the better I've seen. I trust it a lot more than I trust systems that use stars or have more detailed elements of the review (audible for instance) because it is the easiest to be objective.

With user reviews, everyone has their own scheme, and opinions on how they grade something. But it's not hard for an untrained reviewer to say whether or not they would recommend a game to their friends.

And for the most part, staying away from negative, doing a bit of research (i.e. reading the content of a few reviews) on mixed, and looking more closely at positive or very positive, tends to work well for me.
News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 6, 2016, 12:30 saluk
Google should definitely grant those requests. I want to see WB try and appeal their own mistake and end up in a legal battle with itself.

What a farce.
News Comments > Labor Day Legal Briefs
4. Re: Labor Day Legal Briefs Sep 6, 2016, 04:04 saluk
I don't know about 'always'. It's more like there are periods where they either didn't notice what was going on or didn't care to do anything about it, and then periods where they crack down.

It's always a shame when it happens, and I can't see it having a positive impact on their brand when they do so. On the other hand, the creators of these games really should know that a shutdown is near inevitable, especially for a project that is long in development like that pokemon one.

If they had put that time into their own IP and developed their own game that was inspired by pokemon, they could have had their own stardew valley like phenomenon. So on some level it's kind of a waste.
News Comments > VR Funhouse Mod Editor
10. Re: VR Funhouse Mod Editor Sep 2, 2016, 12:19 saluk
Kind of cool that they have the source code on github.  
News Comments > BT Steamed at Valve: Suing
14. Re: BT Steamed at Valve: Suing Sep 1, 2016, 17:18 saluk
Maybe the in-house lawyers on either side are in cahoots.  
6. Re: BT Steamed at Valve: Suing Sep 1, 2016, 12:50 saluk
Oh geez, I just looked at the second patent. The method they describe of the client constantly polling the server to see if new messages have arrived isn't even how steam chat works on a technical level. Which is pretty much a requirement for a patent claim. It's amateur hour over at BT. What the hell.  
5. Re: BT Steamed at Valve: Suing Sep 1, 2016, 12:47 saluk
Why is there no statute of limitations on these kinds of suits? If you don't protect your patents within a year you should lose the patent. Steam is over 10 years old!

Heck, the first patent was granted in June of 2003, and steam was in public beta testing in January of that year. That should be enough for prior art. That took me 2 minutes to look up. Free legal services rendered by me, you can thank me later Valve. This should be the shortest lawsuit case ever if I know anything about the law.

Which I don't.
News Comments > PS Now PC Streaming Begins
12. Re: PS Now PC Streaming Begins Aug 31, 2016, 03:58 saluk
I'd rather emulate as I do with ps2, but working ps3 emulators are a decade away (if they ever manage it at all). I'd jump on this if it worked with my xbox controller.

Oh, and if I didn't already have a backlog of pc, ps2, ps1, 3ds, ds, and snes games to play 1000s of titles long.
1088 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo