Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1322 (Pro)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Amazon Making The Lord of the Rings MMOG
20. Re: Amazon Making The Lord of the Rings MMOG Jul 10, 2019, 18:41 saluk

I still play lotro. We don't need another f2p lord of the rings mmo that's based on the books. Having it be more like the films would have at least differentiated it.

And yeah, mmos are a bit old school these days.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2019, 14:43 saluk

It seems to be Neil Gaiman's moment.  

News Comments > The Walking Dead Definitive Series in September on Epic Games Store
6. Re: The Walking Dead Definitive Series in September on Epic Games Store Jul 1, 2019, 14:42 saluk

Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2019, 13:54:
I don't think you can buy the individual seasons anywhere anymore, so it's good to see a combined edition being available. Sucks that it has to be exclusive, but apparently that's going to be the future of PC gaming, so what the fuck ever.

It seems a bit... I dunno, strange, that they can backport those visual upgrades to the 3 previous seasons that quickly? It would seem that that's a lot of work.

Eh. Step 1: update engine version. Step 2: fix bugs. Step 3: update assets (mostly replacing character models, which probably can retarget to the old skeletal meshes if the skeletal meshes even changed in the newer version) Step 4: fix bugs.

Most of the hard work will have been exactly the same on the first game vs the other two games as well, so once they had a workflow to convert 1 game, the other 2 upgrades would go even smoother.

Doing all of this in about 6 months (though they may have started before episode 4 was launched even) seems reasonable.

News Comments > Developers Prefer Piracy to G2A
11. Re: Developers Prefer Piracy to G2A Jul 1, 2019, 14:35 saluk

The easiest key fraud is "hey dev, I want to review your game, please send me a key".

Dev generates a key for the "reviewer" (for no $), reviewer sells key to reseller (or the scam is being run by a reseller itself). Scammers generate these requests in high enough numbers and with enough variation to collect a profitable amount of keys.

If you can phish for a credit card number you can phish for a key.

Obviously that's not going to work for every dev. Most of the ones who are coming out against G2A I would expect to vet their key requests, or use one of the systems that have cropped up to make key transfer more secure. (Heck, iirc, Rami developed one of these tools)

But if this easy, but not super successful fraud exists, it's reasonable for me to believe that harder to detect fraud is also going on. It seems that even well rated sellers on g2a tend to have a few downvotes saying a key didn't work. Maybe a stolen credit card chargeback or someone trying to activate a code for the wrong country? Maybe the key's original owner got their account banned from other illegitimate behavior. Maybe they got the key from a list somewhere, and it was already activated.

News Comments > Subscriber-Only Streams May Violate Terms of Service
7. Re: Subscriber-Only Streams May Violate Terms of Service Jul 1, 2019, 14:16 saluk

Streamers should pay attention to the TOS of the games they stream then, and should then be appropriately punished for a TOS violation.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2019, 20:27 saluk

Studios treat QA like monkeys with typewriters.

Games get buggier every year.

I see no correlation.

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact
52. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 16:57 saluk

Simon Says wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 15:49:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 15:11:
Competition is good for the industry including consumers like us.

Where is that competition from EGS? Where is it right now?

And it's not like there's not already tons of other stores already. Uplay, Origin, Battlenet, Itch.io, GOG, Windows store etc.

What's the only special thing about EGS compared to the others? They bribe for exclusives, that's it... Exclusives have nothing to do with competition, it's the opposite of competition.

This argument makes zero sense and it never will.

His argument about the cut of the sales isn't either, for the reasons outlined in my previous comment's linked video in this thread which I guess I'll link again in case anyone missed it:

The Epic Narrative - The Mortiel Fallacy: May 9, 2019

grudgebearer wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 15:45:
What demonstrable benefits are consumers receiving from EGS exclusivity?

None, zero, nada, zilch. Quite the opposite, it only had negative impacts.

Metro Exodus launched at 50$ instead of 60$. I got Oxenfree for free and had never heard of it - had a good time. Heavy Rain is on pc for a reasonable price for a rerelease for an old game (although who knows if, minus epic, this would have happened anyway)

Those are the tangible things I can think of for now.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jun 17, 2019, 17:05 saluk

I liked blade runner, but don't remember much. I think it was a bit short? But had kind of a branching narrative so you could replay it. Definitely notable for its time but not really worth replaying haha.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2019, Part 4
13. Re: It Came from E3 2019, Part 4 Jun 13, 2019, 17:09 saluk

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 13, 2019, 10:48:
Can anyone tell me why The Onion is still a thing? Does anybody have the time to read dumb fake articles? What is the appeal? What's the fucking point?

I kind of agree. I thought it was funny when it started, but with so many fake articles going around it just adds more noise.

News Comments > Gloomhaven Early Access Next Month
3. Re: Gloomhaven Early Access Next Month Jun 13, 2019, 17:07 saluk

Yeah it's my favorite board game... operating it can get tedious at times.  

News Comments > Marvel's Avengers Announced
13. Re: Marvel's Avengers Announced Jun 11, 2019, 17:16 saluk

Other than the character faces (and some of the character designs) it actually looks really good.

But it's a character driven franchise so faaaaaaaaail.

News Comments > Microsoft Acquires Double Fine
11. Re: Microsoft Acquires Double Fine Jun 10, 2019, 16:21 saluk

Probably for the best.  

News Comments > Baldur's Gate III Announced
38. Re: Quake II RTX Specs Jun 7, 2019, 14:44 saluk

Yifes wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 06:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 03:27:
Personally I'd rather it be true to DnD 5 than true to Infinity Engine games, as much as I like BG2, the combat system in Infinity engine games is not particularly good nor true to the ruleset for that matter (movement, cover etc.)

Really hope they don't make it true to DnD 5e. 5e is streamlined and while it's good for a pen and paper setting, it really lacks tactical depth and customization. There's not much you can do with its limited feat system to really distinguish your character from someone else's.

I'd much rather see Larian use their own creativity but that's probably unlikely given WotC's involvement.

Actually, I think 5e would be pretty good better to build a game off of. Yes, it is streamlined, but the tactical depth/customization can be included in the game's mechanics, giving the devs a bit more flexibility than the more rigid older versions allowed.

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Next Year?
14. Re: Quake II RTX Specs Jun 4, 2019, 03:28 saluk

Wait, they're planning to announce a 2019 release date knowing it will delay to 2020?  

News Comments > Quake II RTX Specs
11. Re: Quake II RTX Specs Jun 4, 2019, 03:25 saluk

I was going to complain about them selling this but looks like it's going to be free.  

News Comments > RTX-Only Stay in the Light Next Week
10. Re: RTX-Only Stay in the Light Next Week May 30, 2019, 19:52 saluk

HoSpanky wrote on May 30, 2019, 13:01:
welp, I hope Nvidia ponied up a good chunk of change for them to lock into a technology only available on very expensive video cards. Granted, RTX cards are selling extremely well, which is surprising...I expected an initial rush by those who HAVE to be bleeding-edge, and then a steep drop in sales.

I do assume the usual crowd on this site will get in here and complain harder than they do about EGS. This is hardware-locked, which is far more grievous a sin than putting a game in a different storefront.

It looks like a tiny dev team and a tiny game. It's far easier to make a game RTX only than it would be to support both pipelines. (We're talking about unreal, where the team is most likely using the rtx features that are now built in). And in some ways it is easier to build for rtx than the old pipeline as well, because the baking really slows down workflow. Also, RTX owners are starved for games to justify their purchase.

Going RTX only is probably a huge win for the team here, where their game would not be very notable otherwise. Nvidia cash not needed at all.

(I mean I might buy it because of the rtx features. But it looks really bad. I wouldn't even consider it otherwise. No, still probably won't buy it...)

News Comments > Morning Patches
5. Re: Morning Patches May 24, 2019, 17:43 saluk

Looking really close. Just waiting for this feature on the roadmap:
"Guards responding to detected theft and breaking & entering"

News Comments > The Sinking City Trailer
2. Re: The Sinking City Trailer May 22, 2019, 12:23 saluk

Charles Reed: Awakening aka Dark Corners of Oakmont.  

News Comments > George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation
9. Re: George R.R. Martin Confirms Game Consultation May 21, 2019, 14:45 saluk

My take on game of thrones - the attempt to finish them and the desire for fans for a conclusion, and the rush to a conclusion on hbo are misplaced, if understandable. GRRM wrote the books by planting seeds. Those seeds grow into plants and spread more seeds. Trying to cultivate the wilds and turn them into a satisfying ending is a fools errand that has resulted in longer delays between each books as GRRM tries to solve an unsolvable puzzle.

He should have just kept it going without worrying about a series' end. Like his Wild Cards series. New books and stories in westeros, forever - or as long as people keep buying them.

Who wouldn't want that?

What long form series has ever had a truly satisfying conclusion anyway? I personally can't think of any, but if they exist they are quite rare.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2019, 13:54 saluk

Writer 1: Uh... so it looks like this is how things are going to end.
Writer 2: That's... not great.
Writer 1: What should we do about it? I'm not sure we can make this any better.
Writer 2: I mean if we change this we'll disappoint half of our fans, but if we don't change that we'll disappoint the other half. And these other elements have to line up with the outline the author gave us. We kind of wrote ourselves into a corner.
Writer 1: GRRM not writing any more books didn't help.
Writer 2: No, it didn't.
Writer 1: If we can't make it better, how can we stop people from being disappointed?
Writer 2: Well, I kind of have a crazy idea.
Writer 1: I'm almost afraid to ask. But we might be desperate enough for a crazy plan.
Writer 2: From here on until the finale, we make the show as stupid as we can possibly make it.
Writer 1: That's not crazy. That's brilliant.

1322 Comments. 67 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo