Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for saluk

Real Name saluk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname saluk
Email saluk64007@gmail.com
Description
Homepage http://www.spinheaddev.com
Signed On Apr 30, 2005, 21:54
Total Comments 1336 (Pro)
User ID 23037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New Steam Library Launches

39. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 16:22 saluk

phinn wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 16:13:
Really don't understand why everyone throws a fit anytime something new comes out. Steam was and still is in need of a modern UI. This is a nice step forward, no complaints.

Modern UI design is terrible. It intentionally sacrifices usability, efficiency, and discoverability to optimize for engagement. A decade of making computing technology worse so that consumers look at the screen longer and click on more ads.

This specific upgrade... isn't that bad. It may be a lot slower than the old one - but has some useful features for organizing things. Still... I'll use it about the same amount as the old one. Which is almost never. I typically play with a steam controller and launch games via big picture on my 4k tv. The only time I use the normal steam interface is when (insert feature here that doesn't work correctly on big picture).

Hey valve: can you spend like a month fixing some of these years-long issues with big picture mode plzkthxbai. (Videos randomly not playing, sale notifications not having a list of the games that are part of the sale, scaling not working right on the "about this game" pop-up, the friends list scaling being completely broken since the messaging was updated...)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD Announced

3. Re: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD Announced Oct 16, 2019, 16:55 saluk

I was just reminiscing about this game not too long ago. Though I would have preferred a sequel to a remake.  

News Comments > Billion Dollar Borderlands 3

50. Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 23, 2019, 19:29 saluk

Kxmode wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 16:51:
Rilcon wrote on Sep 23, 2019, 15:34:
A high percentage want nothing to do with EGS and would have bought BL3 on Steam
Got a source on that, mate?

Here are the facts.

EGS = 90-100 million total registered accounts
Steam = 90-100 million ACTIVE monthly accounts (one billion total registered accounts). It's important to note the distinction between total registered and active monthly. They are not the same.

Based on that, probability math can help establish reasonably accurate conclusions.

If an equal percentage of Steam and EGS consumers remained excited about BL3 before release (which is plausible given both games released on Steam and grew its fanbase there), then the numbers are higher for Steam than EGS given its user base. In other words, that many could buy but chose not to because as noted in my previous comment, 1. No other choice but EGS and 2. won't buy games from EGS. Despite the "success" Take 2 is touting, the fact remains the lack of Steam sales crippled that success.

It's not complicated.

Here are the facts:

People who don't buy the game ever because of the exclusive deal is very low. The main group of BL3 fans they market to don't care enough to not buy it, giving more money per sale to the publisher. Most of those who wouldn't pick it up now will pick it up later on steam. Publisher makes less money there, but the biggest value of having a game on steam is actually the long tale so the initial sales don't matter as much over time.

For a very minimal loss on # of sold copies, the publisher makes a significantly higher income from putting the sales on the exclusive store that gives a higher cut.

If those sales had been through steam, the publisher would lose money overall. They might sell more now, but will ultimately make more money over time through the deal.

Because of the Epic $$$ advance that is given up front as part of the deal, that offsets the initial loss of sales.

Devs and publishers don't hate steam. They take the deal because it's a good deal (even if its bad for consumers).

News Comments > New Steam Library Beta This Month

2. Re: New Steam Library Beta This Month Sep 4, 2019, 19:54 saluk

Is the update going to fix broke AF big picture? I'm betting no.  

News Comments > Control Reviews

11. Re: Control Reviews Aug 26, 2019, 15:57 saluk

I buy from everywhere. If the worst happens I'll only be out 1/3rd ish of my library.  

News Comments > SYBERIA: THE WORLD BEFORE Announced

9. Re: SYBERIA: THE WORLD BEFORE Announced Aug 19, 2019, 19:34 saluk

Hope it is better than 3. Not that I played 3. I really should play 3 and form my own opinion.  

News Comments > New Metro Game in the Works

12. Re: New Metro Game in the Works Aug 15, 2019, 18:20 saluk

Metro Exodus is a good game. Best of the series for me.

I love how anything EGS related has us talking about stores and business decisions rather than games.

Not.

News Comments > etc.

5. Re: etc. Aug 12, 2019, 18:51 saluk

I was one of the few on board with stadia. I'm OK not owning a game - I tend to play them once, or spend 10 or so hours on a big 60 hour open world game, and put it on the shelf for the next couple years feeling guilty about not getting my money's worth out of it. I have 1000s of unplayed games. A good streaming service that caters to my adhd letting me sample all of the games I want as my attention wavers would be killer.

And latency isn't a huge issue for most of the games I play as well.

Then they announced pricing. You are buying the games but not owning them. One free game a month... just like Epic gives me now, or pay 10$ a month on steam to find something good on sale for a nearly equivalent value. Well, less in that you can't download the games and play them offline/mod them etc. So it solves none of my problems with the current gaming markets.

Origin access just gets you discounts.

Uplay+ is the closest to what I would want but the library isn't quite there. I buy one or two ubisoft games a year. Let's call that 120$ (I usually buy them on sale but just for comparison). That's 10$ a year which is cheaper than the uplay+ subscription.

Nope. I don't think the economics here are going to make sense anytime soon for a large amount of disruption.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 12, 2019, 18:38 saluk

Netflix deal killed the Confederate project? Nah, that project was dead in the water. After the fallout of confederate and the rushed GOT ending, they were going door to door trying to find anyone with enough pity or lacking in discretion to fund more projects.

Good thing for them Netflix is still handing out money!

News Comments > etc.

12. Re: etc. Aug 5, 2019, 16:42 saluk

"Something like 3 percent of gamers will be [clinically] addicted and won’t be able to control it."

What a dangerous epidemic!

News Comments > Steam Top 10

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 5, 2019, 16:37 saluk

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 4, 2019, 21:57:
Creston wrote on Aug 4, 2019, 21:15:
Every game on this list is like three + years old. Sparse summer for PC gaming.

Meanwhile, I've spent like $300 on new Switch games this past month.

Switch is killing it lately.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: Youngblood Review Roundup

6. Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood Review Roundup Jul 25, 2019, 12:56 saluk

This sounds exactly like the kind of fun buddy game that they have never quite made enough of. Unfortunately my coop friend and I don't hang out enough for it to be worth it.

(Cue modern society rant)

News Comments > What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia?

27. Re: What Happens to Purchases if Google Kills Stadia? Jul 19, 2019, 18:48 saluk

Bad.  

News Comments > GORN Born

9. Re: GORN Born Jul 19, 2019, 18:47 saluk

Favorite VR game by far.  

News Comments > Amazon Making The Lord of the Rings MMOG

20. Re: Amazon Making The Lord of the Rings MMOG Jul 10, 2019, 18:41 saluk

I still play lotro. We don't need another f2p lord of the rings mmo that's based on the books. Having it be more like the films would have at least differentiated it.

And yeah, mmos are a bit old school these days.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2019, 14:43 saluk

It seems to be Neil Gaiman's moment.  

News Comments > The Walking Dead Definitive Series in September on Epic Games Store

6. Re: The Walking Dead Definitive Series in September on Epic Games Store Jul 1, 2019, 14:42 saluk

Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2019, 13:54:
I don't think you can buy the individual seasons anywhere anymore, so it's good to see a combined edition being available. Sucks that it has to be exclusive, but apparently that's going to be the future of PC gaming, so what the fuck ever.

It seems a bit... I dunno, strange, that they can backport those visual upgrades to the 3 previous seasons that quickly? It would seem that that's a lot of work.

Eh. Step 1: update engine version. Step 2: fix bugs. Step 3: update assets (mostly replacing character models, which probably can retarget to the old skeletal meshes if the skeletal meshes even changed in the newer version) Step 4: fix bugs.

Most of the hard work will have been exactly the same on the first game vs the other two games as well, so once they had a workflow to convert 1 game, the other 2 upgrades would go even smoother.

Doing all of this in about 6 months (though they may have started before episode 4 was launched even) seems reasonable.

News Comments > Developers Prefer Piracy to G2A

11. Re: Developers Prefer Piracy to G2A Jul 1, 2019, 14:35 saluk

The easiest key fraud is "hey dev, I want to review your game, please send me a key".

Dev generates a key for the "reviewer" (for no $), reviewer sells key to reseller (or the scam is being run by a reseller itself). Scammers generate these requests in high enough numbers and with enough variation to collect a profitable amount of keys.

If you can phish for a credit card number you can phish for a key.

Obviously that's not going to work for every dev. Most of the ones who are coming out against G2A I would expect to vet their key requests, or use one of the systems that have cropped up to make key transfer more secure. (Heck, iirc, Rami developed one of these tools)

But if this easy, but not super successful fraud exists, it's reasonable for me to believe that harder to detect fraud is also going on. It seems that even well rated sellers on g2a tend to have a few downvotes saying a key didn't work. Maybe a stolen credit card chargeback or someone trying to activate a code for the wrong country? Maybe the key's original owner got their account banned from other illegitimate behavior. Maybe they got the key from a list somewhere, and it was already activated.

News Comments > Subscriber-Only Streams May Violate Terms of Service

7. Re: Subscriber-Only Streams May Violate Terms of Service Jul 1, 2019, 14:16 saluk

Streamers should pay attention to the TOS of the games they stream then, and should then be appropriately punished for a TOS violation.  

News Comments > etc.

3. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2019, 20:27 saluk

Studios treat QA like monkeys with typewriters.

Games get buggier every year.

I see no correlation.

1336 Comments. 67 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >