User information for Monty Gonzales

Real Name
Monty Gonzales
Nickname
FRAGaLOT
Email
Concealed by request
Description
Old fart gamer who's bitter. Gamespy sucks!
Homepage
None given.

Supporter

Signed On
January 23, 2000
Total Posts
93 (Suspect)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

93 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

What will happen first?
Sep 10, 2004, 03:44
What will happen first? Sep 10, 2004, 03:44
Sep 10, 2004, 03:44

Ok we should make bets on what will happen first. Will JC retire BEFORE or AFTER Duke Nukem (taking) Forever will be "done"

__ FRAGaLOT
http://home.comcast.net/~zalle2/blog.htm
__ FRAGaLOT

I can't belive this crap
Sep 10, 2004, 03:33
I can't belive this crap Sep 10, 2004, 03:33
Sep 10, 2004, 03:33

I can't belive they are still "claiming" they are working on this game after all these years. I wish they would just claim it vaporware and get on with life. Maybe 3DR can start on a new game that will take them 10 years to not make.

__ FRAGaLOT
__ FRAGaLOT

PS2 sucks
Sep 10, 2004, 03:22
PS2 sucks Sep 10, 2004, 03:22
Sep 10, 2004, 03:22

PS2 is such an out dated system. All the GTA games play SO much better on PC and Xbox. The game was IMPROVED over the PS2 version when it was porteed to Xbox and PC. They should focus first on the PC and Xbox version first, and then make a port for PS2, since it's easier to downgrade a game than to improve it... would take less time.

__ FRAGaLOT
__ FRAGaLOT

Re: noooo!
Sep 6, 2004, 18:54
Re: noooo! Sep 6, 2004, 18:54
Sep 6, 2004, 18:54

>> Question, what is the average temperature a P4 2.8 should run at?

Check intel's website. But honestly if it's running fine now it's not overheating obviously.

__ FRAGaLOT
__ FRAGaLOT

Spreadem
Sep 6, 2004, 18:53
Spreadem Sep 6, 2004, 18:53
Sep 6, 2004, 18:53

Yeah I spread my thermal grease using a plastic butter knife. Feels like I'm making a itty-bitty sammich using rancid grey mayonayse.

__ FRAGaLOT
__ FRAGaLOT

Re: Cooler
Sep 5, 2004, 21:50
Re: Cooler Sep 5, 2004, 21:50
Sep 5, 2004, 21:50

>> *Don't* just put a drop [of arctic silver] on there and
>> expect it to work right.

You can as long as it's spread out and thin. You can put a dollop on, and then put the heat sink on the core (I'm thinking Athlon XP tiny cores surfaces with no heat spreader) and then move it in circles to spread it around the core surface, then clamp it down, you'll be fine. With Athlon 64’s and their large heat spreader, I would assume you’ll need to use more thermal paste… but I haven’t messed with the 64’s yet, or even P4’s.

What you DON'T want to do is make a thick layer between the sink and core, since it will act more of an insulator than a heat conductor if to thick or goopy. Also the silver or pink pads that are already on the bottom of CPU HSF's work just fine if you aren't overclocking. You can even buy the pre-made pads in most catalogs, and apply then to heatsinks and peel off the backing.

It's better if Blue doesn’t remove his heat sink off his CPU if he doesn’t have too, since it sounds like he's having a problem with his FAN and whatever is regulating power to his fan (or the thermo sensor). Once you remove the heatsink you'll have to re-do the thermal paste again or you'll have heat conduction problems. I learned the hard way about that!

__ FRAGaLOT
This comment was edited on Sep 5, 21:52.
__ FRAGaLOT

Re: So?
Aug 29, 2004, 23:47
Re: So? Aug 29, 2004, 23:47
Aug 29, 2004, 23:47

ZZzzzz....

I've been on this beta since July. BORING!
But on the other hand, it's a highly polished game for something still in beta. It's just I'm sick and tired of this fucking genre. There are dozens of these kinds of games with this over played motif.

How many more fucking MMORPGS with swords and sorcery, hack and slashing, and mind-numbing mouse clicking games do we need in this world? I was satisfied after Diablo 2, now im starting to gag on it all.

How about something different like a MMO game based on GTA?

BTW.. the CD-Keys for this is sent to you via e-mail. So use REAL e-mail addresses when you sign up for this beta/stress test... or you're bascially S.O.L.

__ FRAGaLOT
This comment was edited on Aug 29, 23:51.
__ FRAGaLOT

My only complaint
Aug 25, 2004, 09:51
My only complaint Aug 25, 2004, 09:51
Aug 25, 2004, 09:51

My only complaint for Doom 3 was it's fucking price tag of about $60 (USD) WTF? Quake 3 was just over $40, and I guess this means the next game 4-5 years from onw from Id Software will be $80? And probably STILL won't be on a DVD. Wonder what the MSRP will be for HL2?

__ FRAGaLOT
__ FRAGaLOT

Re: no dvd
Aug 22, 2004, 22:52
Re: no dvd Aug 22, 2004, 22:52
Aug 22, 2004, 22:52

I don't think price has anyhting to do with why barely any PC games are shipped on DVD. All console games are on DVDs, even GameCube system go as far as using custom mini DVDs so it's harder to copy them. Game makers don't really care how much it costs to mass produce thier games since that's all paid at once, per batch.

What pisses me off is that Doom 3 cost $60 for three pressed CDs. Unreal Tournament 2004 was 6 CDs (or 2 DVDs) for 30% less, and it's a more enjoyable game! Plus I got my $10 rebate from Atari a couple weeks ago! You'd think I'd get something more out of a $60 game than 3 old CDs. Not even a metal box, or anything.

__ FRAGaLOT
__ FRAGaLOT

Re: WoW!
Jul 28, 2004, 08:19
Re: WoW! Jul 28, 2004, 08:19
Jul 28, 2004, 08:19

I got on the beta a month ago.. after nearly forgetting about it when I signed up around last January. Boy what boring game, but well polished I must say for a beta.

How many fucking sword and sorcery games does this world really need to exist? NCosft alone has about a half-dozen hack-n-slash MMORPGs that are all basically the same! Why do game companies keep pushing the same shit on us and expect to pay $12 a month? After you've played Diablo adnasum you've perdy much played them all.

The part I hate is the constant skilling and monotony of these games. It takes you a couple months just to get to a SOME WHAT decent character only to get your ass handed to you if you wander out too far in the world, and get killed by some level 100 Rabbit. Or some ridiculous shit like that that has no sensible logic to it.

At least There.com and Secondlife.com are somewhat diffrent.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 08:26.
__ FRAGaLOT

Re: No subject
Jul 28, 2004, 08:12
Re: No subject Jul 28, 2004, 08:12
Jul 28, 2004, 08:12

Ok the reason why WinXP uses more resources is becasue it's intended to be used on more powerful rigs. Like 2+ ghz CPUs, hi-speed 100gig HDDs, and 512megs of RAM. *NOT* a system made 6/8 years ago that was BARELY running 300mhz and 128megs of Ram, and two gig hard drives with UDMA.

So why should microsoft not take advantage of new hardware that comes out? They MUST update thier software to keep up with new hardware advances, and also take advantage of how RAM is getting cheaper all the time, with everyone running a GIG of RAM if not more.

Also if we were ALL using win95 (for example) after 9 years, we would have PILES of CDs with software and drivers to support all the new hardware we have now for it to work with 95. Imagine how long it would take to install all that crap?

What if we were still using Win 3.1? we would have probably have upteen consecutive service packs that we would have to install one after another, and loads drivers and software installs to get it to work right with the hardware we use today.

__ FRAGaLOT

Win9X blows.. what about Mac OS X?
Jul 28, 2004, 07:51
Win9X blows.. what about Mac OS X? Jul 28, 2004, 07:51
Jul 28, 2004, 07:51

What about the Mac Port? Assuming there will be one. Carmack has always been cool about Mac Ports. I'm sure it will only work with OS X. Poor OS 9 users.

Besides I'm a Widoze users, so why should I care. I've been very happy with Windows 2000 and XP. Absolutly hated WinME, and Win98 was OK but lacked in many ways.

__ FRAGaLOT

ads
Aug 21, 2003, 13:36
ads Aug 21, 2003, 13:36
Aug 21, 2003, 13:36

I don't like intrusive ads. It's HORRIBLE at any planetquake site. Just going to my own site you get this crap in your face! Banner ads are fine, but those don't work since they are easily ignored.

I wish googles' popup blocker worked on planetquake/GameSpy web ads. ARG!!

__ FRAGaLOT

It's not the largest
Feb 6, 2003, 13:02
It's not the largest Feb 6, 2003, 13:02
Feb 6, 2003, 13:02

I don't think Quakenet is the largest IRC network. Perhaps the largest GAMER IRC network, but I would think EFnet, Undernet, and more so, DALnet (before the DDoS) are larger.

__ FRAGaLOT

Re: Random Spontanious Reboots
Feb 3, 2003, 10:56
Re: Random Spontanious Reboots Feb 3, 2003, 10:56
Feb 3, 2003, 10:56

Spontaneous rebooting can be a heating problem. UT2003 is one of the more advance and complex games out there, so it could be overheating your CPU more than other games and apps.

If you're overclocking, lower the clock speed down to normal. Also you may want to inspect the inside of your PC for dust build up, especially on your CPU's heat-sink/fan. Disassemble the HSF, and clear the dust bunnies out, wipe the fan blades clean, and add a drop of lubricating oil in the fan bearings (under the sticker). Then reassemble it, and make sure you have some decent thermal compound (Arctic Silver, etc.) so the heat dissipates properly.

Good luck

__ FRAGaLOT

( o Y o )
Jan 30, 2003, 11:51
( o Y o ) Jan 30, 2003, 11:51
Jan 30, 2003, 11:51

HHhmmm... boobs come with phasers?

__ FRAGaLOT

Rather sucks
Jan 24, 2003, 23:20
Rather sucks Jan 24, 2003, 23:20
Jan 24, 2003, 23:20

I played the demo last week. The default graphics settings suck, but if you max out the graphics only the KITT model looks better (with glossy looking reflective textures), but the world still look crappy. Controls rather suck too. The sounds were decent, held up will to the TV show. It feels like a game made about 10 years ago to me... perhaps I'm just burned out on yet another driving/racing game.

__ FRAGaLOT

Re: GameSpy isn't at fault.
Jan 19, 2003, 13:19
Re: GameSpy isn't at fault. Jan 19, 2003, 13:19
Jan 19, 2003, 13:19

Re: 22

Okay I understand that point. If they are releasing a patch it would be for the servers, not the gamespy software.

However, just about ALL game servers behave in the exact same way, regardless if a game uses GameSpy's SDK or not. And all game servers can potentially be used to start a DDoS attack.

__ FRAGaLOT

GameSpy isn't at fault.
Jan 18, 2003, 09:25
GameSpy isn't at fault. Jan 18, 2003, 09:25
Jan 18, 2003, 09:25

The problem I have with this article is it lays blame on GameSpy. But which? GameSpy Arcade or 3D? The problem isn't with GameSpy or ANY server browser, it's just the nature of UDP packet queries (and now easy it is to spoof a return IP address) and taking advantage of how game server operate. GameSpy has nothing to do with it.

The thing that gets me is GameSpy is going to issue a fix for this. UH? GameSpy has nothing to do with it, unless there some sort of trojan/worm/virus out there that's "compromising" copies of GameSpy Arcade/3D making it send out spoofed queries. As far as I can tell you CAN'T launch an attack with just using GameSpy. With out it being modified. Besides it would be much easier to write your own tool to do this anyway!!

The article also goes on to say how it effects the game server it self. I don't see how this can be a problem. The point of the attack is to have like several thousand game servers flood a single IP. The servers them selves won't know the difference, since it will just seem like any other server query that servers get thousands of times a day.

Even if GameSpy can be used to launch an attack it won't be very good at it. GameSpy doesn't flood a server with queries (perhaps up to about 4-5 requests per server depends on the game). You'll still get a good "payload" if you queried about 3000 servers in 5 minutes to attack another IP. But again you'd get a better "payload" if you simply wrote your own tool. Unless you cracked the GameSpy.EXE and made it do it.

This isn't even an actual problem yet, so it's kind of making people upset over a possible problem that really relies on the game servers, not gamespy.

__ FRAGaLOT

All About Kali
Jan 18, 2003, 08:53
All About Kali Jan 18, 2003, 08:53
Jan 18, 2003, 08:53

Originally Kali was used to play non TCP/IP games (like Doom, and Duke Nukem 3D) over the internet. Kali's trick was encapsulating the IPX packets into TCP/IP packets. It was also one of the first applications to use "matchmaking" functions to help you find other players that aren't lagged to hell.

Kali was also the first to have chat rooms, long before even GameSpy 3D added a crappy IRC client. GameSpy Arcade is more like what Mplayer and Heat.net used to be like. Actually GameSpy bought up Mplayer a few years ago.

It's only been the last few years that Kali added a server browser to their product, and it works decently well. I like the fact that most all of the games are already broken down to their sub-game mods, with out having to mess with filters and tabs.

The only drawback Kali has now is supporting new games, and newer mod-addons of existing games.

__ FRAGaLOT
93 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older