Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Bastardman

Real Name Bastardman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dash
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description I am a bad person.
Homepage http://
Signed On April 20, 2005
Supporter -
Total Comments 153 (Novice)
User ID 22954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Get World War Z, Tormentor x Punisher, and Figment for Free

12. Re: Got World War Z, Tormentor x Punisher, and Figment for Free Mar 27, 2020, 06:30 Dash

jdreyer wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 22:57:
Slick wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 21:57:
Seems like a decent spiritual successor to Left4Dead.

Can't wait to see what this genre looks like for the next generation when instead of 100 zombies on-screen at a time they can do 10,000.

Yeah, but how would you kill that many? L4D already pushed that ability to the limit.

Well.. They're already pushing towards that. Watch some of the vids for 'The Black Masses'. Ridiculous amounts of corpses walking around.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal?

41. Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 24, 2020, 00:37 Dash

Beamer wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 16:20:
Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 08:41:
Beamer wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 08:35:
I'm also with jdreyer. Original Prey, which was actually not original Prey just the first released Prey, wasn't particularly influential, and most of what was influential in it came from the Original Prey. The 2006 game just strung a plot and levels around Paul Schuytema's mechanics.

What are you talking about? Was there a different game that predated Prey 2006?

Yes.

It never got released, but it was a 3DR game. The concepts in the 2006 one all stem from this, but none of the original designers were involved. There's a great article on it Here, on page 106.

Wow. I've got like the vaguest flicker of memory for that. Too bad the video quality is so garbage. I remember some preview when that was being announced way back when.

Now if only I could find the original trailer video for the Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth game...

19. Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 02:29 Dash

Honestly, I liked Prey [2017]. While like you, still annoyed with the IP pirating, after a bit I did enjoy the game as its own thing. If anything, it really made me pine for System Shock 2. Gives me hope that we start getting more Total Conversions for games.

And yeah, the scope of Prey[2006] just seemed to have a better, more cohesive story to it. Think I might replay it in a few months. The portal/sphere sections were some of the most interesting at the time, and I'm honestly surprised I've not seen more games doing the 'subjective gravity locations'. The puzzles later on in the game were pretty well-thought out, too. I kinda wonder how different the game would have been if they had the same portal mechanic system as they did in Portal [2007], even though that game was mostly inspired by Narbacular Drop, which was what the portal devs did before Portal.

The gloo gun was pretty damn smart. Need more 'innovative' weapons like that. Given the tools, people figure out all sorts of weird, neat ways to use the mechanics in a game, if its enjoyable. Like with some of the runs I've seen in Dishonored, where people used Bend Time, Possession, and Blink to get enemies literally shooting themselves and their cohorts, in rapid succession.

16. Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 00:51 Dash

Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 00:13:
I was just talking to a friend about how bad the "Prey" remake was. A bad Bioshock clone that had absolutely nothing to do with the original Prey.

Different universe
Different characters
Different theme
Different setting
Different mechanics
Different pacing
Different FUCKING GENRE.

The original Prey was a masterpiece, arguably the last great single-player FPS from the golden age of FPS games. Everything that made it cool, fun, unique and challenging was just swept under the rug like it never happened. It had functional portals before portal, you'd shrink down to the size of an ant, you could alter the axis of gravity, you could turn into a spirit ghost and walk across spirit bridges, and my god every single weapon had such individuality. The puzzles were all intelligently designed, and all used original mechanics never before seen in a game. The death mechanic still stands as the most engaging, challenging, and unique mechanic I've ever seen in an FPS game. The storyline was genuinely heart-wrenching, and it's conclusion was the best ending to a FPS game I've ever played. It influenced games for the next decade. It was seminal.

Then the new game just ignored all of that heritage.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it would be like if Valve made Half-Life 3, and there was no Gordon Freeman, no alien invasion, and no crowbar. Oh and they decided to switch the game genre, so HL3 is now an open-world survivor-horror RPG.

If anyone here has not played the original Prey, you owe it to yourself. It still stands up. I replay it every few years.

Ayup. They piggy-backed on the popularity of an established name property, that still had the rumors of an awaited sequel. I still would have liked to have seen that earlier 'Prey 2', where you played one of the survivors on the plane, stuck on an alien planet. The trailer was pretty damn good. While the mechanics would have differed, at least it would have been in the same 'universe' and continued that particular story.

As for Prey[2017], it should have been called 'Mimic', or something along those lines, given the mimicry powers. It was a good game, but you're right. Whole different slew of mechanics. Honestly, it felt more a System Shock 2 copy than anything related to Bioshock.

I got the Collectors edition, and it came with 3 pewter figurines, which is pretty neat. The tin-case was cool as well.

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's Plans Detailed

11. Re: CD Projekt RED's Plans Detailed Mar 13, 2020, 05:16 Dash

wtf_man wrote on Mar 12, 2020, 12:28:
Redo Witcher 1 and 2 to be exactly like 3 and sell it as "The Witcher Trilogy Redux"!

So redo the first two janky games into a superior engine, and polish it further?

Sign me up.

News Comments > Sunday Patches

5. Re: Sunday Patches Mar 2, 2020, 07:52 Dash

coldcut wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 05:50:
Dash wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 04:31:
Watch_Dogs still kinda bothers me with the E3 'gameplay' vid and what we actually got. If you're going to do teaser/trailer with 'in-engine footage', then it'd better be like that when we play it.
Remember Anthem?

...Ugh. -.-

You mean EA looking at Steam with 'Early Release' stuff and going 'Let's do that for this game! Bugs? What bugs? Eh. We'll do little patches!' I'm wondering if the schmucks who are making such obviously bad decisions, have a track record that can be documented, and they can get fired.

I wanted Anthem to be awesome out of the gate. Flying Exosuits in a huge world, things to blow up, a rich storyline, large battles with co-op options, etc... Not squeezed out like garbage that we got.

Then again, I've managed to avoid most games that have EA anywhere on them, because they're an absolute dumpsterfire of a publisher.

3. Re: Sunday Patches Mar 2, 2020, 04:31 Dash

Watch_Dogs still kinda bothers me with the E3 'gameplay' vid and what we actually got. If you're going to do teaser/trailer with 'in-engine footage', then it'd better be like that when we play it. No specially crafted maps just to show off, when it turns out your engine can't do 'all the things' in regular play. Man, now I'm annoyed with the No Man's Sky video again. -.-

Kinda dating myself, but part of me thinks we should go back to more game demos, like the first 2 levels or so. Brood

2. Re: Sunday Patches Mar 2, 2020, 04:24 Dash

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 1, 2020, 13:38:
wah, no quake facing worlds

Man, that was just an awesome, simple map. Think I clocked more hours against bots on that one alone, than any others.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2020, 04:37 Dash

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 23:45:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 13:42:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 12:29:
El Pit wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 12:21:
Point proven: the Earth is SOLID! Ucrazy
At lease he found a cure for the compressed discs he received from his first attempt.

trigger warning, you might not wanna watch the twitter video as it contains graphic contents

It's a real Wile E. Coyote moment.
the tmz article has a commercial for his video, it more than explains the world we live in today. thanks internet
Was there any doubt that it would end this way?
worst game of lawn darts ever.

"To prove the world is flat, I must become as such! I must embrace the flatness. Watch. It'll work!"

News Comments > Op Ed

13. Re: Op Ed Feb 20, 2020, 04:08 Dash

They need to drop the prices if they aren't bothering to fix things, and allow for fans to, yet again, fix and mod things that they started with.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews

4. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2020, 01:02 Dash

MattyC wrote on Feb 18, 2020, 13:58:
What about Birdo?

Initially an antagonist, sure, but one of the good guys pretty much ever since. I guess they mean ďand series leadĒ but that isnít the headline.

Poison from Street Fighter.

Anyway. I don't care if they make it. People will buy what they want to play. It becomes a problem when the bitchin starts.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW

9. Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 12, 2020, 02:39 Dash

jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 01:42:
One more reason not to buy games from ActiBlizz.

A friend linked the nVidia blurb on the announcement and mentioned they're going to Stadia. Digging around, I found old and new articles pointing that this may have been the eventual route.

Is Activision even capable of good decisions anymore?

So even more reasons to avoid them, I guess.

We already had the Console Wars... Then we got Console Vs PC.
So are we doing Console Wars 2: The Streamening?

News Comments > Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes

53. Re: Re: Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes Jan 31, 2020, 02:54 Dash

Kxmode wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 18:32:
The sheer fact that there are dozens of WOW clones, Healthstone clones, Diablo clones, and Warcraft clones shows Blizzard cannot own the idea or the concept. Their user agreement tries to say if someone takes their custom mode and turns it into another game, Blizzard owns that. That's pure insanity, and no judge is going to rule on Blizz's favor.

Kinda hoping that a few groups figure out new gametypes using the Blizzard stuff, and then build it externally with a different engine that has nothing to do with anything Blizzard owns. And they all have 'secret' maps, where the theme is just blatantly telling Blizzard/Activision to go piss off.

32. Re: Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes Jan 30, 2020, 07:30 Dash

Jonjonz wrote on Jan 30, 2020, 06:32:
If you take this kind Korporate Lawyerchik think to the next level, musical instrument makers will start suing the latest music pop stars for a cut if the music was created using one of their instruments. DAW makers will want a cut of any successful toons produced with their product...

Activision is working hard to keep their "lets shoot ourselves in the foot" spree going.

...I am now really curious who is making these decisions, and if they have any ties to EA.

27. Re: Blizzard Claims Ownership of Custom Game Modes Jan 30, 2020, 02:30 Dash

I... hm.

Well. That pretty much puts the final nail in the coffin on giving Blizzard properties any more moolah from me. Apathy first, but I'd still play WoW from time to time. Then the Hong Kong debacle and all its contents. I'm sure there was more garbage from them, but... dunno. This just feels like I've walked away from something that was inevitable, and this last bit was turning to watch them burn the bridge as I leave. M'fine with that. Plenty of other more interesting games to play.

8. Re: Sunday Patches Jan 27, 2020, 00:39 Dash

Oh neat. DCOTE texture update. Its too bad the engine and models were even considered dated when it was released. It was a good game, from what I remember. Definite panic in the hotel chase scene.

News Comments > Evening Multiplex

3. Re: Evening Multiplex Jan 24, 2020, 01:53 Dash

jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2020, 23:55:
Heretic 3 confirmed.

Wonder if that series is next on the 'Reboot' list. Heretic and Hexen were freakin awesome to play.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2020, 06:10 Dash

Hmmm. Giant asteroid...

Guess whoever's been watching us figures its time for a reset again.

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed

20. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 01:13 Dash

I'm fine with a few extra months of polish. There's plenty of other games to keep me entertained, really.

But that means when it comes out, that game better be amazeballs like nothing else, to chip through the jaded layer of apathy and rekindle the same kind of 'Wow...' feeling you got when playing Doom or similar games for that first time.

News Comments > Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign

30. Re: Video Game and Tech Workers Unionization Campaign Jan 8, 2020, 00:46 Dash

Whether you agree with unions or not...

I think it's just real, real weird, I happened to have been watching clips from The Irishman while flipping through these comments.

153 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >