Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Thomas Grimes

Real Name Thomas Grimes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SirKnight
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 14, 2005, 23:42
Total Comments 1346 (Pro)
User ID 22923

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM Patch, DLC, and Double XP Plans
7. Re: DOOM Patch, DLC, and Double XP Plans Jul 28, 2016, 21:55 SirKnight

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 19:44:
I have a GTX660, the Vulcan patch did not do much. It's a hard life being on the outside of the minimum recommended gpu.

I'm seeing anywhere from 1.5 to 2x FPS increase with Vulkan with my GTX 980.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New NVIDIA TITAN X Announced
12. Re: New NVIDIA TITAN X Announced Jul 22, 2016, 13:01 SirKnight

AmericanWulf wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 11:59:
MacLeod wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 11:42:
Can someone actually explain the Titan to me? I don't get it.

According to videocardbenchmark, the TitanX has a lower G3D Mark score than the 980ti, but is over 3x the cost.

the titan series of cards are geared more for the content creators, the graphic artist, or the power needed for graphical rendering. It is really not marketed nor designed as the ultimate gaming/gamer card, never has been.

Yeah, the Titan is a halfway point between GeForce and Quadro/Tesla. For someone who wants high end gaming plus has the need for non-gaming compute needs, like deep learning for example. If you only want pure gaming, your best bet is a 1080 or wait for the Ti version.

I plan on buying one of these since I have compute needs beyond gaming. This will go with my new build nicely.

News Comments > Free VR Funhouse
3. Re: Free VR Funhouse Jul 14, 2016, 21:35 SirKnight

Hopefully one of these days Oculus will release the freaking motion controllers. There's so many things I want to play around with (on Steam) but it's Vive only.

Good thing I got my Rift for free b/c I'd be pissed if I did not. All the cool stuff is for the Vive.

News Comments > Event[0] in September
2. Re: Event[0] in September Jul 13, 2016, 22:05 SirKnight

*(Event + 0)
or just...
*Event

News Comments > DOOM Adds Vulkan Support
14. Re: DOOM Adds Vulkan Support Jul 11, 2016, 22:59 SirKnight

Slick wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 22:09:
Big green dropping the ball so big nowadays. I was thinking I might buy a 1080ti, but now I think I'll just wait until they get their fucking shit together with real net-gen API tech.

I don't know what planet you are living on, but it sure isn't Earth. NVIDIA's Vulkan implementation is by large amounts the most superior. Which makes sense, as it lives with the OpenGL driver which has been the best OpenGL implementation since forever.

News Comments > DOOM Adds Vulkan Support
13. Re: DOOM Adds Vulkan Support Jul 11, 2016, 22:56 SirKnight

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 22:35:
Ya might wanna check again, bro. The AMD gainz are mostly due to the fact that AMD was ABYSMAL in OpenGL. Now, with Vulkan, they finally caught up a little bit.
nVidia on the other hand did not need any optimization. They were already near the potential max both in OpenGL as well as in Vulkan.

Don't be fooled so easily by some graphs that are only showing the gains and improvements... the absolute numbers are still FAR in favor of the green team.

Exactly this.

You also see larger differences in FPS gain going from DX11 to DX12 on AMD only due to the fact that AMD's DX11 driver is no where near as optimized as NVIDIA's. Plus AMD's CPUs are dogs anyway so anything that takes work off of them will be a huge improvement.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jul 10, 2016, 21:19 SirKnight

WTF....  

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Vote
2. Re: Team Fortress 2 Vote Jul 7, 2016, 21:39 SirKnight

Are they going to build a wall to keep the spawn campers out?  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
1. Re: New GeForce Drivers Jul 6, 2016, 22:00 SirKnight

"existing PC players will receive the update via Steam this month"

Very glad to hear this. I am definitely not going to buy a game a second time for VR on the Oculus store since I do all of my PC'ing from Steam.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
7. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 29, 2016, 14:14 SirKnight

Looks like it would be pretty handy for Arma. But TrackIR or VR would probably still be more natural for leaning and looking around while moving in one direction.  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer
9. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 E3 Trailer Jun 25, 2016, 22:42 SirKnight

Constellation Wang at 1:09. Haha.

I miss the original Wang voice. But this is still a must buy for me.

News Comments > MachineGames Releases New QUAKE Campaign
2. Re: MachineGames Releases New QUAKE Campaign Jun 24, 2016, 23:38 SirKnight

I just completed the first level and so far it's quite good.

While I'm excited about the upcoming Quake Champions, I would love to see a new Quake where the focus is on single-player with the awesomeness of Doom's single-player but the environment of the original Quake.

I would prefer if id made it, but it looks like MachineGames could handle it just fine if id could not.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: Seinfeld.wad - Jerry's Apartment: A DOOM II .wad… Jun 22, 2016, 10:53 SirKnight

Just. So. Awesome.

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2016, 10:52 SirKnight

Spektr wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 10:30:
Actually looking for Quake mods is what kicked my interest for surfing the web .. and incidentally took me to this here website.. something like about twenty years ago...

You know, I think quake mods may have been my reason for finding this site too.

I always loved the rare occasion of owning LPBs with my HPB status. They would get so pissed off and call me a cheater.

My phone lines where I lived at the time really sucked. I had a 56K modem but could only connect somewhere between 28.8 and 33.6. I think like 31/32 or so. And the connection would randomly die where I was still connected but nothing would transmit or receive.

As oddly as it sounds, but there are a lot of aspects of the Internet of the 90's that I like better than today. I guess it's the more simplistic nature of it all. Webpages were a lot more simple and basic, crazy GIFs/clipart were everywhere, the idea of talking to people all over the world in chat rooms. It was all so new and exciting.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2016, 21:51 SirKnight

jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2016, 14:59:

2. Christians have in the past and continue to kill in the name of Christ,

That's not only extremely wrong but extremely ignorant.

Jesus Christ forbids killing as it is a highly sinful act. Anyone who does the type of murder you mention are not Christians. This is why your statement is wrong. Jesus said many times if you believe in him and love him, then you will do as he commands. One of his most important commandments he left us with is to love one another like he loved. No matter if they are your enemy or not. If you do this, then everyone will know you are his disciple, as he said. If you do not obey his commandments, then you are not his disciple. If you are not his disciple, then you are not a Christian. Thus, it is impossible for a Christian to kill in the name of anything, especially in the name of God.

Always keep in mind the teaching of the wolves in sheep's clothing. You can know a person by their works. A good tree does not produce bad fruit, and a bad tree does not produce good fruit.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 12, 2016, 21:30 SirKnight

What the hell is Nancy Pelosi's point? Steve Jobs/Apple never said they invented the smart phone, touch screen, GPS, etc. They did invent the iPhone which means they invented what a modern smart phone is and does. The government absolutely did not do that! Android would not even be what it is now if it were not for Apple and the iPhone. When the iPhone was announced, the Android project current at the time was completely scrapped and started over to become the type of OS that iOS is. It was going to be an open source feature phone OS.

So just because some of the individual technologies had government funding suddenly anything that uses them is now the invention of the government? Dafuk? Pelosi needs to get off the crack and retire, quickly!

News Comments > DOOM Balance Patch
5. Re: DOOM Balance Patch Jun 11, 2016, 01:03 SirKnight

Looks like id is taking the multiplayer back from the CoD devs (like they should have done in the beginning). linky

Hopefully over time the MP will turn into something amazing like the single player is. I have warmed up _a little_ to the MP but it still feels very out of place when considering the great single player sitting right there next to it. There are decent moments to be had from time to time, but could be A LOT better. Hopefully id will come through.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 9, 2016, 22:33 SirKnight

In my area, TWC internet is very good and reliable. I have the highest tier, 300Mbps and I speedtest at around 348 down and a littler over 20 up.

Through Steam I get about 38 MB/sec downloads.

A little bit different than my old dial-up in the 90's of 1-3 KB/sec, lol.

News Comments > On DOOM Multiplayer
5. Re: On DOOM Multiplayer Jun 9, 2016, 10:03 SirKnight

I've been using this utility to extract files out of the .resources file that contains the games data and I happened to come across some files that mentioned "bot."

They also refer to the Summoner as "archvile" in the data files. I wonder why externally the renamed it to Summoner?

While I do want to see SnapMap improved and expanded a lot, I still hope for a proper SDK/ToolKit for the PC like they released very late with Rage. We need idStudio (Radiant).

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 2, 2016, 21:30 SirKnight

I love the old-school "virtua" style graphics. I'm pretty tempted to back this.  

1346 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo