Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Thomas Grimes

Real Name Thomas Grimes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SirKnight
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 14, 2005, 23:42
Total Comments 1614 (Pro)
User ID 22923

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Creators are using a new tactic to air grievances over copyright policies. Mar 18, 2019, 13:24 SirKnight

I guess Festivus is coming early this year.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 15, 2019, 23:23 SirKnight

It's funny, and kind of sad in a way, that there's many people out there screaming "oh look, you can do ray tracing on a GPU without RTX!"

Well, no shit Sherlock! NVIDIA has been doing it for at least 10 or more years with OptiX in the compute pipeline using CUDA. The key thing with RTX is it accelerates certain parts with specialized hardware that greatly increase performance, in addition to utilizing deep learning. It's not that ray tracing couldn't be done on the GPU before, it's the fact that it's just now starting to be done fast enough to be usable for games. What little we've seen so far is mind blowing if you really understand what's going on here. I've been in graphics development since the 90s so it's pretty obvious to me. But like any new graphics tech, just like when shaders were first introduced around the GeForce 3 time-frame, initially it's not at the performance we ideally want but it's only going to get so much better pretty quickly. It took years before shaders were really used for more than simple tech demos. It all has to start somewhere.

There's a paper from SIGGRAPH 2002 titled "Ray Tracing on Programmable Graphics Hardware" for anyone interested in old school GPU ray tracing. My first ray tracing adventure on GPUs was on my old GeForce FX 5600 implemented using pixel shaders.

News Comments > Get GameGuru for Free
2. Re: Get GameGuru for Free Mar 15, 2019, 22:54 SirKnight

I like my game development to contain plenty of jiggery-pokery.  

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending 3D Vision Support
15. Re: NVIDIA Ending 3D Vision Support Mar 10, 2019, 23:33 SirKnight

Razumen wrote on Mar 10, 2019, 23:23:
aka_STEVE wrote on Mar 10, 2019, 19:01:
Maybe by next-gen they can drop ray-tracing & all will be well...let's get back to doing something that makes games run & look good.

Ray-tracing DOES make games look better though. It's a performance hit because it's a big jump up for lighting, reflections and more-just like when we made the jump from 2D to 3D, there will be a painful curve at first.

Right. People need to also remember when programmable shading pipelines (shaders) were first introduced. Writing shaders made things definitely look a ton better, but it was very very costly. It took years for games to come out that really used them much at all. For a while it was used for only a few very simple things, at best.

14. Re: NVIDIA Ending 3D Vision Support Mar 10, 2019, 23:30 SirKnight

G.oZ wrote on Mar 10, 2019, 19:46:
Maybe by next-gen they can drop ray-tracing & all will be well...let's get back to doing something that makes games run & look good.

Maybe movie studios will stop ray tracing CGI & 3D animation to speed up development and save money for other things - we don't need that fancy stuff in there making the effects "look good"

You definitely don't understand 3D graphics and the movie industry. lol

As soon as more power is introduced for graphics, the artists do not utilize it for faster production times, but for better images making the production times the same if not longer. That's how it just works and it's the same for anything else that uses computers as well. We don't still use DOS for the same reasons.

For years, the CGI industry used micro-polygon rasterization for movies, but these days they moved to ray tracing/path tracing. There's a reason for that and it's not to render things faster...

And the producers and artists definitely disagree with your assertion of "fancy stuff" not being needed.

11. Re: NVIDIA Ending 3D Vision Support Mar 10, 2019, 23:17 SirKnight

Were you introduced to 3D graphics this morning? That's such a stupid thing to say, I just don't even...

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 6, 2019, 21:20 SirKnight

I use a Win 7 style calculator in Win 10. I don't like the default one, which it looks like that's the one that was open sourced.

The app that really pisses me off is "Photos." That has got to be one of the biggest pieces of shit software I have ever used. And every time MS updates it, it's worse.

News Comments > Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 Gets Maserati DLC
3. Re: Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 Gets Maserati DLC Mar 3, 2019, 00:32 SirKnight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXWvKDSwvls  

News Comments > Get Thimbleweed Park for Free
3. Re: Get Thimbleweed Park for Free Feb 21, 2019, 21:23 SirKnight

This game is awesome. I really hope those guys make another one.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Intel's First 4.0 GHz Pentium- Pentium Gold G5620 Listed At Retail. Feb 20, 2019, 10:14 SirKnight

It's all about the Pentiums, baby  

News Comments > Kingdom Come: Deliverance Band of Bastards DLC Delivered
3. Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Band of Bastards DLC Delivered Feb 6, 2019, 11:09 SirKnight

I need to get back to this game. I last played it around the time it came out and very early on the bugs almost prevented me from escaping the castle. I had to do that part over and over so many times I lost count. I left the game not long after that point, very early on. By now hopefully things are better.  

News Comments > Metro Exodus PC Boycott Threat Recanted
11. Re: Metro Exodus PC Boycott Threat Recanted Feb 4, 2019, 12:31 SirKnight

Got a present for ya...

......................//)
....................,/../
.................../..../
.............//'...'/`
........../'/.../..../......./\
........('(.......... ~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

News Comments > Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC
76. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Feb 2, 2019, 22:58 SirKnight

Prez wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 20:42:
I mean what the actual fuck? Threatening your fan base now? That's it for me - I was going to buy Exodus when it came out on Steam, but now they can kiss my ass. As far as I'm concerned they are dead.

EDIT: Oh, and a nice big, fat, juicy "Fuck You" to all the corporate apologists in this forum and elsewhere who blame gamers for this instead of the developers. I'm sure your corporate overlords will reward your loyalty in defending their shitty behavior by continuing to bend you over and ream you while you thank them for it.

+1,000,000 to that.

The apologetic corporate nut swingers on here need to get a clue. It's not that the Steam users don't see or understand the monopoly going on with Steam (which yes we need competition of course) or are whiny little brats. The issue here is not having consumer choice on where to buy the game, like we have with physical games (mainly console these days though). Having it listed on Steam for months and pre-order for who knows how long, then all of a sudden with little warning taking it off is BS. Why not just leave it on Steam and put it on Epic in addition so we could have the choice? Doing this would make gamers happy and not want to boycott and the devs would get more money than they would otherwise.

But then when people display backlash due to these anti-consumer practices, the devs pull out threats and these corporate nut swingers then belittle everyone that's complaining in addition...it's just fucked up. Complaining about bad behavior from a company is a good thing, not something to look down upon. When a company fucks up, we need to let them know that they can't get away with the bullshit. We won't put up with it.

What we need are games on multiple stores, not just one and then have to have 20 different clients/accounts for all the games. So far almost no one (except GoG) has been giving Steam any competition. The other stores sell their own games that's only available there. It's pretty much like how movie/tvshow streaming is right now. You gotta have accounts with many services to get all the content you want. That's lame and annoying.

News Comments > Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC
8. Re: Boycott May Cause Next Metro Game to Skip PC Feb 2, 2019, 12:49 SirKnight

"I know what we'll do! If they boycott us we'll just not put the game on PC and will miss out on all those extra millions of dollars! That'll show 'em! MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!"

LOL

The jokers are clueless. I never really cared much for the previous metro games anyway.

News Comments > Metro Exodus Trailer
1. Re: Metro Exodus Trailer Jan 31, 2019, 20:16 SirKnight

Well Metro, like so many others have said, see you in 2020. Maybe by then it'll be a lot cheaper anyway. I have enough on my backlog for all platforms plus certain things coming this year anyway. TOO MANY GAEMZ!

A 2020 Steam sale sounds about right.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2019, 10:19 SirKnight

Gotta remember later today to play some Duke 3D to celebrate its birthday!  

News Comments > RESIDENT EVIL 2 / BIOHAZARD RE:2 Released
13. Re: RESIDENT EVIL 2 / BIOHAZARD RE:2 Released Jan 25, 2019, 17:19 SirKnight

I picked this up from cdkeys.com for 33% off. For a while I wasn't super interested due to the over-the-shoulder camera style, but after playing the demo I can tolerate it enough.

It would be cool if they had a first person option since this is using the same engine as RE7. I haven't fired up the full version yet but I doubt that option is there. I quite liked the first person view of RE7 (which I still need to get back to).

I still prefer the fixed camera setup of the original games though.

News Comments > OpFlashpoint Documentary
3. Re: OpFlashpoint Documentary Jan 22, 2019, 17:21 SirKnight

I loved the original OFP and I still play it to this day.  

News Comments > Blizzard Hiring for Unannounced Diablo Game
25. Re: Blizzard Hiring for Unannounced Diablo Game Jan 21, 2019, 00:58 SirKnight

Are you a skilled, passionate, team-oriented games Producer?

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, DO YOU HAVE A PHONE? IF SO...

Come work with us, and together we will build something exceptional.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Facing Legal Action From The Real Pinkertons Jan 14, 2019, 20:17 SirKnight

Whoever wrote that title wasn't paying attention. How does a game face legal action? What they mean is Take-Two or R*. How it is now makes no sense.  

1614 Comments. 81 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo