Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6744 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test
34. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 24, 2017, 16:31 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 13:10:
@TheyAreComingForYou

I'm going to push back that the SQ 42 release is going to generate much extra revenue. They've already sold more than a million preorders. For a niche game on a single platform that's pretty close to max, IMO. Star Citizen isn't Call of Duty.
A lot of people won't touch a game in early access, others wait for the reviews to come out. It's very easy for them to pickup several million more sales. PUBG has sold 20 million copies and right now Star Citizen has just short of two million accounts. For a game that is pushing the boundaries of PC gaming it's not really a stretch to expect at least a few million more sales if it's decent.

jdreyer wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 13:10:
Out of curiosity, have you bought anything lately? I'm constantly amazed at people's continued support for this game, but I can't complain if it works out in the end.
I bought tickets for Gamescom back in August and CitizenCon in October but I won an Intel Optane 900P and the bundled Aegis Sabre Raven, so that more than paid for itself. Aside from that I paid $5 to upgrade from the Drake Herald to the Anvil Hawk and $5 on an event exclusive skin. But some of my friends have spent over $8,000 and I've spoken to people who've spent over $40,000.

I'm not interested in spending any more to support the game until there are regular content releases and significant progress. In fact I'd encourage people to hold off spending more until CIG can demonstrate the ability to deliver regular content updates. The 3.0 release was delayed by a year and it's far from a polished experience. There's also no word of when 3.1 will be released, let alone the other promises features.

The way I look at it is that even if everything goes tits up and collapses it was worth a gamble on. And if it pays off then it will be a game I'll be playing for several years if not the next decade. Space sims have always been my favourite genre, from games like Tie Fighter to Starlancer. But I do look at some of the big spenders in the community and question the amount of money they're putting into the game - it seems bizarre to me.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / 32GB DDR4 / GTX 1080 OC
Optane 900P 280G
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 24, 2017, 11:50 theyarecomingforyou

Kelpie wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 06:05:
I'm curious. How long do you think they can continue development before they run out of money?
The funding for the game is consistent at around $35m per year, increasing each year. There's also additional income from tax incentives and promotions with companies like Intel and AMD. Expenditure is based around that income, meaning it is completely sustainable. Should funding decrease then CIG will scale back. Whilst Star Citizen may be pushed back quite substantial due to the technical challenges we'll likely see Squadron 42 released in the next three years, which will bring in substantial funding.

There's always the potential for something dramatic to happen to derail the project but for now it can continue indefinitely. If progress remains slow over the next couple of years then we will likely see funding reduce and CIG change its approach.

Progress this year has been slower than expected. With 3 studios and almost 400 staff their overheads will be pretty high (millions per month). There's no way that the current pledge take is enough to offset these costs.
Progress has been slow due to the integration of planetary tech, new networking code, the delta patcher and Item 2.0, which changes the way that all items within the game are handled. You're right that development has been extremely slow but CIG has pledged to change from a content-based release schedule to a periodic release, meaning that any features not ready will simply be pushed back to later releases. Whether that amounts to anything is anyone's guess, as they've made a similar claim before with the promise of monthly patches (which was always unrealistic).

The recent Coutts loan (an advance on their UK tax credits) would seem to indicate they're already struggling.
There's no financial difficulty. The loan is just to release the UK tax rebate early rather than transferring money between currencies. You have to bear in mind that Foundry 42, the UK studio based in Wilmslow, is by far the largest studio yet most of the funding is gathered in dollars and euros rather than pounds. The advance allows CIG to avoid costly currency transfers. As I pointed out, the game is generating around $35m a year and that's without other promotions and tax incentivew which CIG doesn't disclose. There was a statement released by CIG's lawyer to address speculation about financial difficulty.

Optane 900P 280G

26. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 23, 2017, 17:32 theyarecomingforyou

Prez wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 16:06:
Sure the graphics look amazing now. But will they still hold up in 10 years when it ships?
Consider that this is how the game looked two years ago and this is how it looks now then absolutely. There has never been an issue with the graphics looking dated and I don't expect that to change. The issue is simply when it will ship.

Optane 900P 280G

19. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 23, 2017, 11:42 theyarecomingforyou

El Pit wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 11:20:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 10:31:
El Pit wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 10:09:
SQ42 has been released? Sorry, I didn't know. When did this happen?
Your reading comprehension is frankly pathetic. This is about Star Citizen, not Squadron 42. If you're going to troll you need to put a lot more effort in.

Sorry, my bad. So the game Star Citizen has been released and is getting updates? When did they release the final version? Where can I buy and download it? It seems it is not availabe at CIG - can you help me out with some info? Thanks.

Merry Christmas and lots of love to you, too!
Sincerest apologies. I assumed you were being sarcastic - a lot of the comments around here are negative. Squadron 42 and Star Citizen were originally bundled together but are now sold separately. Currently Star Citizen is in alpha testing and this is the latest version of that. Squadron 42 was due to be released several years ago but that has been delayed to increase its scope - for instance, originally it was not going to include the planetary tech see in the recent demo.

You can find out more here, check out Star Citizen's latest presentation here and Squadron 42 here. In order to buy both bundled together you can get a combo pack like this one.

Just be advised that the game is still years away from being released and the current build is lacking most of the core gameplay. There is still a long way to go in terms of optimisations, as the game is going to support Vulkan (a multi-platform competitor to DX12). Currently you can get 60-80fps on a good day but it's typically closer to 30fps, which isn't as enjoyable.

Merry Christmas to you.

Optane 900P 280G

17. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 23, 2017, 10:31 theyarecomingforyou

El Pit wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 10:09:
SQ42 has been released? Sorry, I didn't know. When did this happen?
Your reading comprehension is frankly pathetic. This is about Star Citizen, not Squadron 42. If you're going to troll you need to put a lot more effort in.

Optane 900P 280G

15. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 23, 2017, 09:56 theyarecomingforyou

Luke wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 07:07:
How to trick the sheep's into crowdfund more...lets give them a alpha demo so the sheep's thinks it's still alive....bahhhh baaaaaahhhh

People is SO easy to trick
What? It's giving people access to an updated version of the game they already own. There's no extra money to pay and if people want to support the game because they like what they're playing then so be it.

The Squadron 42 footage was the more interesting reveal as it shows that the performance capture was handled extremely well. That said, there's no way this is being released in the next two years. The environments were great but there was little in the way of gameplay and the AI was poor at best.

Optane 900P 280G

News Comments > Crytek Suing Cloud Imperium
42. Re: Crytek Suing Cloud Imperium Dec 17, 2017, 11:01 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 15:43:
Derek Smart is foaming at the mouth. I read a couple of his tweets. The guy sounds like he's having a pride-induced organism from his "I told you so" righteousness. It's palpable and toxic. However, it's like watching an episode of Jerry Springer. I think he's two steps away from throwing a chair.
It's hilarious. He's an absolute anus trumpet. Here are some of his pathetic predictions:

1) CIG would fold by January 2016
OUTCOME: CIG is still going strong

2) CIG Austin will close and be rellocated (stated in 2015)
OUTCOME: CIG Austin is still going and taking on more staff

3) If CIG made it to 2016 they'd announce the Xbox One version
OUTCOME: No console version

4) Planetary landing isn't possible and the technology is decades away
OUTCOME: Already playable in the 3.0 PTU test

5) Star Marine cancelled at CitizenCon
OUTCOME: Already released

He's jealous that Chris Roberts has achieved what he never could whilst his own 'games' are widely derided. All he wants is for the game to fail and he has started numerous campaigns to undermine the game. Fortunately nobody takes him seriously.

On a serious note, Derek Smart is clearly derranged and needs psychiatric attention.

Optane 900P 280G

News Comments > World War Z Game Announced
6. Re: World War Z Game Announced Dec 8, 2017, 12:11 theyarecomingforyou

So they're releasing a game based on a shitty movie that was released five years ago? Guaranteed success! Can't see how this won't sell 20 million copies.  

Optane 900P 280G

News Comments > Ubisoft Delays Far Cry 5, The Crew 2, and a Third Game
10. Re: Ubisoft Delays Far Cry 5, The Crew 2, and a Third Game Dec 8, 2017, 05:10 theyarecomingforyou

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 20:46:
They haven't finished cutting out all the content for planned DLC and finished implementing loot box style monetization.
It's funny how everybody has a different take. On another site I saw someone speculate the exact opposite, that it's too allow Ubisoft to remove lootboxes in response to the EA situation.

Personally I think it's to polish it up because they know they've got a hit on their hands. Countless games have had similar one month delays, so it's not unusual in any way.

Optane 900P 280G

News Comments > Star Control Rights Follow-up
17. Re: Star Control Rights Follow-up Dec 5, 2017, 18:51 theyarecomingforyou

Cutter wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 18:12:
Agreed. Much as I don't care for Wardell, those 2 clowns aren't doing themselves any favors, and really only harm, by acting like this. If law and PR aren't your forte, hire someone for who it is.
Exactly. I suspect they are acting in good faith but Wardell is a business man and will do what he can to get an advantage. Even if they have documentation it may end up in a legal battle they can't afford.

Optane 900P 280G

News Comments > Who Controls Star Control?
40. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 5, 2017, 06:27 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 15:04:
You need to stop reading between the lines. Both lawsuits were dismissed with the only stipulation between the two that SHE apologizes to Wardell for what she did. If she had a leg to stand on, do you think that's what would've happened?
Please. We know that most lawsuits like these end up settled out of court so that corporations and individuals don't have to admit any wrongdoing. It's an expensive gamble taking something to court when a settlement is there for the taking. Of course she'd be happy to apologise to him in exchange for a nice payout and the dropping of the counter suit.

Don't forget this is the same man who said:

"If the government wants to take anything away from my company, that's when I shut it down. The way I see it I can walk around naked in my office and if I can't then I won't have one."

That's right, he feels he should have the right to walk around his office naked and women should just put up with that; if the government says otherwise he'd rather shut down his business. And yet you have a hard time believe he may have acted inappropriately around women?

He also admitted touching her inappropriately:

"Hence if I "jokingly" touched Alexandra's hair or teased her about her fiancee, I respect her request that this should cease. However, my general obnoxiousness is not subject to change and I would terminate the corporation and all jobs within it if I felt my rights were being curtailed."

That's right, he admits he was touching her but says that he has every right to be a dick to her. And there is evidence he sent her a purity test, which is of course paints the picture of sexual harassment.

The evidence seems pretty damning. He's a sleazy creep. But sure, I must be reading between the lines. Thumbsup

Optane 900P 280G

News Comments > Bossa Studios Making AI Push
6. Re: Bossa Studios Making AI Push Dec 4, 2017, 14:50 theyarecomingforyou

We've heard all of this before. It's easy to talk the talk but not so much to walk the walk. For now consider me extremely sceptical.  

Optane 900P 280G

29. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 4, 2017, 14:47 theyarecomingforyou

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 10:06:
The case wasn't settled, it was dismissed with prejudice. Meaning that she lost due to lack of evidence. A number of other Stardock employees also came forward to say her claims was baseless. By all accounts, she lied to try to destroy someone who didn't advance her in the company at the pace she wanted. But of course, the ethics-bereft the games press that don't believe in due process parroted the lies because it made for good clicks. Several of the so-called "journalists" who spread that garbage have since apologised for getting it wrong. Most of them haven't though because hey, admitting you're wrong is a weakness to them and most of the games press wouldn't know what journalism is if it bit them in the ass.
Wrong. Brad Wardell himself stated the case was settled and that each side agreed to withdraw their claims. He claims no money was exchanged as part of the settlement but there are plenty of ways to compensate her whilst still claiming she received no money. The entire situation seems quite sketchy and completely in keeping with the exchanges I've had with him over on Neowin, which is partially owned by Stardock.

Wardell filed the counterclaim to destroy her credibility and it was only after she filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against him. Even in Wardell's subsequent interviews he's gone out of his way to attack feminism, so I really don't have any doubt he created a hostile work environment in the manner described. Here's a direct quote from Wardell about feminists: "They donít like men. Theyíre the ones who say they drink male tears and that sort of thing, I donít like that."

Optane 900P 280G

16. Re: Who Controls Star Control? Dec 4, 2017, 06:47 theyarecomingforyou

It's worth noting that Brad Wardell is famous for sexually harassing a female employee, sending her a 'sexual purity test', making unwanted sexual contact, telling sexist and vulgar jokes and violating her private life. When she filed a lawsuit he then manufactured a counter-suit to destroy her credibility. It ended with a behind the scenes settlement that involved the woman publicly apologising but it's pretty obvious he paid her off.

Unsurprisingly for someone obsessed with sexual purity he is also a devout conservative famous for boycotting UPS after they withdrew advertising from Fox News due to Glenn Beck making racist and derogatory remarks about Obama.

Put simply he's a bit of an arsehole and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the allegations made by the original developers are entirely true.

Optane 900P 280G

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2017, 10:43 theyarecomingforyou

The issue I have with No Man's Sky is that it was over-hyped, the gameplayt shallow, the developers literally lied to the audience and yet they're still trying to charge £40/$54 for it. That's a fucking insult.

I'll pass thanks.

Optane 900P 280G

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
16. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 2, 2017, 06:37 theyarecomingforyou

Orogogus wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 04:15:
Quboid wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 21:42:
Do you think it's impossible for propaganda to reference actual events, even if they had been represented accurately?

More to the point, they're not represented accurately. The three videos contain lies and mischaracterizations, and ignore context.
Snopes
Exactly. Trump doesn't care about facts, only about furthering his political agenda. It's concerning that anyone would take anything that Trump says at face value when he has proven himself time and time again to be a liar.

Orogogus wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 04:15:
But the hate speech part of it is this -- even the most pro-gun control liberals don't suggest that every gun owner is a violent murderer. They don't respond to mass shootings in the news with, "Oh, sure, there are good gun owners out there." Using a video of an extremist to say the entire religion is evil is as stupid as if you broadened the generalization to say that all religion is evil, or if aliens from Alpha Centauri used it to conclude that all humans were evil, or carbon-based life.

If the religion were as vile as all that, people wouldn't be cherry-picking videos from political riots and straight up making things up, there'd be actual videos taken at home of the Muslim next door running amok, of preachers in the US advocating violence and oppression.
It's confirmation bias. People aren't interest in context or truthfulness, they just see something that supports their world view and therefore assume it to be true. As for religion, I would argue that any irrational belief is concerning, regardless of whether it is used to advocate violence or peace.

Optane 900P 280G

News Comments > Morning Interviews
9. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 30, 2017, 18:05 theyarecomingforyou

Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 17:31:
Im not quite sure how you can even get addicted to such things. I mean, every time I feel the urge to pay for shit like that, because a game makes me get stuck (in a grind), to force me to pay for quicker and frustration-free progression, I just think about that all that I am paying for is literally a changed value in a line of code and then I quickly calculate (and I am not that great at math) how much I would spend if I kept doing it so it actually gets me somewhere and often get into the hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

So they design their game to get me frustrated, and then expect me to pay a premium to not be frustrated anymore, and of course who wants to be frustrated again at some point, so they force you to keep paying over and over again to not get frustrated again! Who the hell likes to be manipulated like that and supports it by paying for it?

This always makes obvious that I am getting fooled and would only hurt myself paying for stuff like that. And no, I thought like that even when I was a teenager still, because that started back in the first MMOs already, where you could buy in-game currency or items from private sellers. It was obvious back then already.

And this guy mainly paid for skins! Skins! WTF? Why? How?
I too think that those who gamble away all their money are muppets but I recognise that these mechanisms are designed to hook people and trigger reward centres of the brain. Whilst I'm not one who is affected I still oppose loot boxes and other P2W mechanics due to how addictive and manipulative they are.

Optane 900P 280G

News Comments > Star Citizen Land Rush
69. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 30, 2017, 16:37 theyarecomingforyou

Cyant wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 08:50:
NegaDeath wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 15:30:
I almost have to give him credit. I thought he was a one trick pony with milking people for virtual ships. But selling digital dirt? EA wishes it was this creative in revenue generation.

At least it's not loot boxes with random ships and parcels of lands!
Please don't give them any ideas!

Kxmode wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 06:40:
Gotcha. I guess if I wanted to see a more realistic backer response going to the "Church of Star Citizen" probably isn't the best place.

I did find it interesting that even though I went to the source, the RSI forums, all I saw was high praise for it on page 1 (except for that one thread you pointed out). Personally, this reeks of heavy moderation or downvoting dissenting threads with the occasional "negative" being allowed to flourish for reasons unknown. I'm not sure. I've had bad experiences on that forum that border on draconian moderation.

Anyhow, thanks for the additional information.
To be honest I follow the Star Citizen subreddit more than I do the official forums and there criticism has been more vocal. And the media coverage has spread beyond merely gaming websites and onto tech sites, likely due to the similar controversy over loot boxes. News of the announcement leaked ahead of the official video and resulted in the video being delayed whilst a Q&A was put together.

I think some people have become so detached from reality that they don't see any big deal with CIG charging for fictional land in a pre-beta game. People rail against traditional publishers whilst CIG is given a free pass. As people are aware, I'm an early backer of the game - I've met the developers at three events (CitizenCon 2015 in Manchester, Gamescom 2017 in Cologne and CitizenCon 2017 in Frankfurt) and I'm a golden ticket holder back from the original announcement - but I don't support this recent move. I'm still a fan of the game, I still love the direction the overall game is heading, I just think this move was poorly considered that will generate a lot of negativity from those outside the community.

I'd rather see CIG start pushing more in the way of cosmetics, items that can be earnt in game but that can be purchased to support development. I'd even be fine with backers paying to have characters named after themselves. There are so many potential funding avenues yet CIG went for the most controversial.

Optane 900P 280G

News Comments > Star Citizen Land Rush
64. Re: Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 30, 2017, 04:53 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 03:40:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 20:05:
I feel this move is a shameless cash grab and exactly what I'd expect from a publisher like EA. For them to be announcing this so shortly after the loot box debacle is absurd.

Chris' has a big pair of gravitas.

Also, this is why selling markers for land that doesn't yet exist appear to work with backers. None of them appear to ask any questions.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3?page=1&sort=hot

The community is behind it. I think at this point they'll get behind ANYTHING Chris pitches, which is precisely why Chris was happy to not go to VCs. They would've had all kinds of questions about this move. The least of which would've been, "is this within the scope of the original pitch?" The answer is obvious.

I got sucked into purchasing virtual land claims with EverQuest Next Landmark. Then it became Landmark. Then it got canceled. Daybreak still has my $99.
There are many people who see it as no different to buying ships. Personally I'm not a great fan of selling ships as there are P2W concerns but it helps fund the game and increase the variety of the universe. Selling land does the opposite - it boxes off content.

The community is divided on this. Don't forget that the Spectrum community compromises of the more serious fans of the game, so for it to even get to this level of criticism is a big deal. But I agree, sometimes the community can be utterly oblivious to criticism and will defend any decision CIG makes.

That said, there's a lot of criticism here: You've got to be kidding

Optane 900P 280G

News Comments > EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear
18. Re: EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear Nov 30, 2017, 03:19 theyarecomingforyou

ItBurn wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 03:14:
The first part of his argument about not having enough people is kinda dumb. It's their own studio, EA decided to use 80. The rest might be true, but there's no way in hell we'd ever know coming from these people.
Exactly. If they didn't have enough people they could always hire more. Clearly they underfunded the studio.

Optane 900P 280G

6744 Comments. 338 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo