Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6633 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed
108. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 06:38 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 19:53:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 19:33:
The latest footage of the game is excellent. It wasn't long ago the critics were saying it wasn't possible to make the game that Chris Roberts pitched and that the funding would run out before.

Please stop repeating this retarded lie.

What the so called "critics" are claiming is not possible (and it won't be) is the vision of the full PU, i.e. that ~100+ people per instance (or whatever number of people you deem essential for this to be called as MMO) will be sharing this universe at the advertised fidelity and CIG has shown absolutely NOTHING in that regard.
I've been around here since the beginning and the critics attacking every aspect of the game - some claimed it was a PR presentation and would never be playable (debunked); some claimed the multi-crew technology could never be achieved (debunked), some claimed procedural planets was just a pipedream (debunked), some claimed the funds would dry up and leave backers with nothing (debunked).

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 19:53:
Remember: They have confirmed this CitCon that "travel to multiple star systems" won't be out before 4.0 (early 2018? mid 2018?). This means that the entire MMO infrastructure (multiple instances etc.) has also been delayed to AT LEAST 4.0. Until then we'll be stuck in Stanton, a single star system and a single instance with 24 players max... unless maybe they raise it to a whopping 32 players(?) ... wow ... a real MMO that is!
The new netcode, StarNetwork, is going to be released with 3.0. That will form the basis for large connected instance. Just because 4.0 is a long way away doesn't mean the game will be limited to just 24 players, as the plan is for a sever mesh that will allow everyone to share the same space except for when there are too many players for a particular server where it will then instance things. We don't know if server meshing will be in from the start or come later, so your claim that it will be 4.0 at the earliest is pure speculation.

Every technical hurdle that has been attempted - 64bit precision, multi-crew ships, local physics grids, procedural tech, unifying the first and third person animations - has been achieved and there's no reason to think the same won't be true of the netcode. Don't forget that CIG isn't promising 200 player instances - it's aiming for 50 players, with any more being a bonus. Everything else is being done by server meshing, which simply transfers players from one server to another as they move around - if there are too many players in an area then it becomes instanced, with friends playing together being kept together where possible.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

98. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 11, 2016, 19:50 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 19:25:
[Whining about the game running out of money]
The game is consistently pulling in $30m+ a year and that's when it's pre-release, with little in the way of playable content. The release of Star Marine and Star Citizen 3.0 will bring a lot more people into the game, as will the demo of Squadron 42 which is due either later this year or early next year. The recent sale of the Polaris, a $900 ship, broke the record for most money raised in a single day. Funding isn't an issue.

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Released
1. Re: Gears of War 4 Released Oct 11, 2016, 19:40 theyarecomingforyou

I've been trying to download the game for several days now, as it came with my new graphics card. Unfortunately the Windows Store is a fucking disaster - it'll get up to 30GB, then the download will simply stop; if I pause and resume then it starts the download from scratch. One time I got up to 60GB and when I restarted my computer the download restarted. Often it will download a couple of megabytes and then just freeze, doing the same thing if you restart it. I've tried WSReset, deleting the DeliveryOptimisation folder, restarts, etc - no luck.

Do NOT buy this game!!
If you thought GFWL was bad you haven't seen anything! I still cannot play a game that I own because the Windows Store is not fit for purpose.

96. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 11, 2016, 19:33 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 17:20:
Maybe because people have previously watched presentations like the Star Marine reveal in 2014 and absolutely none of what was shown in that demo is in the game today even though Roberts said it would be out in early 2015? (yeah, I know, it's all Illfonic's fault, of course Rolleyes2 )
That's because it simply wasn't ready for release. Look at the original Star Marine footage and you can see that the movement is extremely janky, the weapons bounced around all over the place and it wasn't well optimised. Compare that to the latest footage we have and the difference is night and day. CIG had outsourced development to Illfonic and that resulted in a lot of problems, including the Gold Horizon level being built to the wrong scale. Now it's been developed in-house and the results show.

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 17:20:
And you are crazy to claim that what was shown at CitCon last year is in the game now (hint: A huge chunk of CitCon last year was the S42 reveal and S42 won't be out this year and most likely not even anywhere early 2017 either... if 2017 at all). It isn't. Or at least not nearly at the quality (FIDELITEEEEHHHH!!!!11 ) and stability they have shown in all of their fabricated, fake, scripted demos.

Virtually everything they have shown off at shows and conventions these past four years is either a total no-show like Star Marine or has never arrived in the game at the quality (FIDELITEEEEHHHH!!!!11 ) they have presented and advertised. Not even close.
I'm talking about Star Citizen, not Squadron 42 as that hasn't been released yet. Star Marine wasn't shown at CitizenCon last year, though the updated version is expected in the next month or two.

The latest footage of the game is excellent. It wasn't long ago the critics were saying it wasn't possible to make the game that Chris Roberts pitched and that the funding would run out before. Now they're attacking the delays because it's the only thing they've got left. At the end of the day I care about CIG making a decent game and that's exactly what they're doing - I can cope with delays if the end product justifies it.

90. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 11, 2016, 16:11 theyarecomingforyou

Peeeling wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 09:01:
"They've completely retooled it"

They do that a lot. And whenever it happens it's for one of two reasons:

1. They've just spent a whole bunch of time and money doing something wrong.

2. Chris has been to an expo and seen something cool.
1) The original Kickstarter target was $500,000 and so far it's raised over $127,000,000. That inevitably has meant that the scope of the game has expanded. Procedural planets were a stretch goal from the $41,000,000 mark and their implementation has been much quicker than expected, making them a sensible addition to the game. Expanding the scope of the game isn't 'doing something wrong'.

2) CIG shows off the content it has been working on. The content they revealed at CitizenCon last year is now playable and it won't be long until we'll be able to play what was shown off the other day. If you'd been following the game at all you'd know that CIG regularly shows off new content in their weekly Around The Verse series - for instance, they showed off damage states and planetary wrecks.

I don't know how anyone can watch the latest presentation and question the direction of the game. Procedural planets absolutely should be in Squadron 42 and will make it a better game - unfortunately that's going to mean it will take longer to come out. In the mean time we'll have 3.0 and subsequent releases to enjoy and the community will get to influence the development and balancing of new features. Unlike other games the community has a huge influence over the development of the game and CIG responds.

83. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 11, 2016, 04:46 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 15:11:
Where is Star Marine? Now hard can it be to make that?
It's due in the next release, which is expected imminently. CIG was working on 3.0 for the end of the year, with 2.6 (which includes Star Marine) appearing beforehand. They've completely retooled it and it should include the vision stabilisation they recently showed off, which is crucial for first-person.

Kosumo wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 15:11:
Where is the Hangars that you can invite your friends into to show off the stuff you have brought form CIG (Ships, Hangar flair)? How hard could that be to make?
Originally that was going to come before the social module but CIG decided to shift the priority to the PU, which was released with 2.0. Hangars will be implemented in the PU but the delay was caused by the implementation of other technology, like procedural planets, Item System 2.0 and StarNetwork. Are you suggesting allowing people to walk around your hangar is more important than the persistent universe that they've already released?

thecakeisalie wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 18:56:
This is what all of the Derek Smart haters forget. Derek Smart might be an arrogant tool when he wants to be, but he's actually shipped games and has a better track record of delivering on what he's promised. For that much, he deserves some degree of respect.
You think DS deserves respect for releasing this but CR doesn't deserve any for putting out this (that's footage of the current playable release)? Please. Your trolling isn't even slightly subtle.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 21:57:
I have a question. How important is a procedural planet to Squadron 42?

Mass Effect 1 kind of had procedural worlds that quickly angered players; especially the M35 Mako (what a nightmare of a vehicle!). BioWare learned from that mistake and made planet missions in ME2 and ME3 much more focused. They did away with quasi-procedural planets. I'd imagine that change alone saved them a lot of money and time.
The simple answer is that we don't know. They've revealed that there will be atmospheric dogfighting in Squadron 42 and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a mission like the one shown off, where players have to land on a planet to collect data from a crashed ship. It's not the bulk of the game but given they've developed the technology for Star Citizen it makes sense to use it, especially given how ground breaking it is fidelity wise.

Vall Forran wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 03:15:
Not sure I buy the 64 bit precision for seeing the spacestation from the planet. Wouldn't they have to calculate orbits, then locations of the spacestation? To just get to a point, look up, and see the station...I'm gonna go with a big Nope.
A station is geosynchronous orbit would always appear in the same location, making it easy for them to create a demo where you look up and see it at a particular point. What about the 64-bit precision for you 'not buy'?

43. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 10, 2016, 15:10 theyarecomingforyou

Rilcon wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 14:58:
If this thing ever comes out, is just half of what's been promised over the years, and isn't a bug-ridden, janky disaster, sure, I can see myself putting down $50 or the like for it.

As it is, it's just a lot of really fancy tech demos and PR. I can see why people buy into the hype, though, which is why I'm staying well away from any "early demos" or long-presentations or whatever.
The great thing is that CIG has regular free-fly weeks that allow people to test out the game in its entirety. If people like what they play they can back it, whilst others can wait or pass on it.

As an original backer from 2012 I want them to do it right. Once the game has been released it can't be taken back and the review scores will stick, along with first impressions. Obviously the delays are disappointing but they're far from unexpected. CIG has only just been showing off vision stabilisation and hasn't even shown us Star Marine yet, so the core systems just aren't in place yet.

If CIG can't show us the Squadron 42 presentation or release 3.0 this year then I'll be disappointed. If they can't get out 2.6 this year then I'll be concerned.

28. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 10, 2016, 13:40 theyarecomingforyou

CIG was preparing to show a complete mission from Squadron 42 but pulled it before the presentation due to it not living up to their expectations. Not only that but they didn't even commit to a 2017 release. However, we will be seeing the footage soon - possibly by the end of the year. People can then judge the game for themselves. The technology they had on show for Star Citizen 3.0 was very impressive but the community reaction to CitizenCon overall was that of disappointment.

CIG really needs to improve the way the communicate delays with the community, as releasing a $900 concept sale and having a segment on ship sales just before they announce they won't be showing the footage mentioned just a few weeks ago didn't sit well.

I have full confidence that the game itself will be great but I don't have any confidence that it will be released any time soon. For me the features they've added along the way, like procedural planets, will more than make up for the delay.

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Specs
33. Re: Gears of War 4 Specs Oct 7, 2016, 20:08 theyarecomingforyou

Orogogus wrote on Oct 7, 2016, 19:46:
My experience was with Forza Horizon 3 through the Windows Store, but I found it didn't want to download stuff correctly until I downloaded and installed the latest Windows updates. Initially it didn't want to install until I installed the Anniversary update, then after the first patch it didn't want to patch up until I applied the cumulative update for Anniversary.

It's not great, but you can try making sure there are no Windows updates sitting in the wings.
Unfortunately I'm all up to date. I've tried numerous things but now I can't get past 2.74MB - it always hangs there now. This is one of the worst experiences I've had with PC gaming since GFWL, another terrible service by Microsoft.

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Specs
31. Re: Gears of War 4 Specs Oct 7, 2016, 18:52 theyarecomingforyou

Can't even download the game because the Windows Store is a fucking disgrace. It got up to 27GB, then just stopped downloading - tried pausing it and resuming but that managed to lose all my progress. Then when I tried downloading it again it got stuck at 2.74MB (yup, megabytes) and then refused to do anything. I've tried logging out, restarting, using WSReset, etc.

Microsoft needs to quit fucking up PC gaming and just use Steam like everybody else. This is the worst gaming experience I've had in years. The sooner Microsoft kills the Xbox brand the better, as it has only hurt PC gaming.

News Comments > Mafia III Framerate Concerns
24. Re: Mafia III Framerate Concerns Oct 7, 2016, 05:30 theyarecomingforyou

Xero wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 20:25:
I believe the first 2 Mafia games also had shady performance upon launch. It took a few patches to get them improved.
Quite the contrary, actually. Mafia II had excellent performance and great visuals, refreshing after the terrible performance of GTA IV. That's why I actually had high hopes for Mafia III.

If the developer can't be bothered putting together a decent PC release then I can't be bothered giving them money for it. I'm not going to support shit developers.

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year?
175. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 11, 2016, 10:38 theyarecomingforyou

dsmart wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 18:13:
Beamer wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 17:28:
Somehow, this went from the tiring "debate with factual authority about whether the game that's years out will be the best thing ever or a monstrous failure" to the even more tedious "let's join together and shit on the last green label name that still hangs out here."

Pretty much. And if you look at the thread, you will see that once they figured out that talking about Star Citizen was just going to flood the lolz filter, they switched gears to attacking me and my games; as if that's going to change anything.

And to make things even funnier, they don't even have any facts to relay, seeing as nothing they've posted has been based on facts, reality or even sensibilities.
People attack you because you're an obnoxious troll. You make terrible games and then have the audacity to criticise Chris Roberts who is making a game that millions of people want to play. You will NEVER have even a fraction of the vision or talent that he has and your envy of him is rather unbecoming. Further your harassment of Sandi Gardiner is disgraceful and for that you will always be a piece of shit.

News Comments > Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10
22. Re: Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 Sep 9, 2016, 07:00 theyarecomingforyou

Kajetan wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 04:34:
|RaptoR| wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 04:11:
Your entire post history is angry nerd rage wharrgarbl. You lost credibility years ago and most people here pity you.
Him being most of the time some angry bitter dude does NOT invalidate his critic of Microsofts abysmal policy of shutting down and neglecting services, rendering purchases no longer usable.

Its not only games. Remember "Plays for sure"? Microsofts DRM for Music downloads? One day they simply canceled the service and all music which had this DRM incorporated did no longer played for sure.

There is a valid reason people get upset with MS regarding these topics: MS simply has a TERRIBLE track record.
Exactly. He may be obnoxious and wrong most of the time but his critique here is spot on. Microsoft is a bane on the gaming industry, especially PC gaming.

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year?
129. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 9, 2016, 06:55 theyarecomingforyou

dsmart wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 20:46:
You guys are hilarious. Here's the thing, I'll still be beautiful in the morning; but Star Citizen - which is never coming out - will still be shit and a massive scam.
You've been attacking the project for years and every time Chris Roberts proves you wrong you simply change the goal posts. You're just jealous that he was able to do what you'll never be able to.

dsmart wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 20:46:
Me? I just keep on making games.
To classify the drivel that you put out as 'games' is laughable. As in 'ha-ha'. Really, that's fucking hilarious. People that have had the misfortune to buy or play your games hate them - just check out the Steam reviews. Do the industry a favour and go away.

Just a reminder for anyone not familiar with Derek Smart's quality alternative to Star Citizen: https://youtu.be/2Lw-cwIGuy0

News Comments > Wireless HTC Vive Plans
2. Re: Wireless HTC Vive Plans Sep 1, 2016, 10:15 theyarecomingforyou

I don't see how they're going to power it wirelessly, as it would need a pretty substantial battery to last enough for a decent gaming session.  

News Comments > New AMD Radeon Crimson Drivers
5. Re: New AMD Radeon Crimson Drivers Sep 1, 2016, 09:18 theyarecomingforyou

Pigeon wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 20:55:
Call me when they fix the HDMI audio issue.
Yup, same issue here. I sold my GTX 970s and went back to an old AMD card I had lying about whilst I look at my upgrade options. Now what happens is that the HDMI audio driver will just stop responding, forcing me to disconnect my HDTV and reconnect it again. Very annoying.

News Comments > Halo 5: Forge PC Specs
22. Re: Halo 5: Forge PC Specs Aug 28, 2016, 04:36 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2016, 22:01:
Wait until you read how they fucking broke it.

(basically: "Hey, we completely redid how webcams are handled in Windows without ever mentioning it, and we also really just had no clue most webcams work with compression, and our brand new method can't handle compression, so, yeah, uh... we broke it! Teehee!" )
So Microsoft decided to completely break most webcams on the market by design? That's ridiculous, even for Microsoft. What's bizarre is that they're working on a fix even though it was deliberate.

Honestly, most people in the forums here could manage the company better. That's not even an exaggeration. I mean, let's have a look at some of the company's great business decisions:

1) Microsoft buying Halo, a PC franchise, then killing it on PC
2) Making Halo 2 Vista exclusive
3) Making the XB1 controller W10 exclusive
4) Restricting the Windows Store so it's incompatible with mods
5) Bundling the Kinect with XB1
6) Designing Windows 10 by committee without any artistic vision
7) Paying for PC franchises like Tomb Raider to be timed exclusives
8) Charging for multiplayer on XB1
9) Buying Skype then butchering it
10) Forcing Ensemble Studios to make a XB1 exclusive RTS game then shuttering it when it underperformed
11) Buying Minecraft
12) Spending billions of dollars trying to compete with Google and Apple on mobile
13) Focusing on Metro apps even though everybody despises them
14) Reneging on space promised to OneDrive users, then pestering you to upgrade now you don't have enough space
15) Zune

As for this, why the hell is Microsoft bringing this to PC when it won't bring Halo 5 to PC? It's insulting to ask the PC community to build content for a console exclusive game. When will Microsoft learn that fucking over PC gamers isn't a good business strategy?

News Comments > Halo 5: Forge PC Specs
13. Re: Halo 5: Forge PC Specs Aug 27, 2016, 18:03 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2016, 13:21:
This is basically the most retarded thing MS has done, and this is the company that gave us such things as Windows ME, Vista, 8 and the Win10 anniversary update which broke (estimated) a large majority of all webcams in the world.
Ah, so that's what fucked up my webcam. And it's a bloody Microsoft webcam and all. That and Microsoft auto-installed the Skype preview, which is an abomination.

Microsoft can fuck right off!

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation
99. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 23, 2016, 14:16 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 04:56:
I have had a problem with Chris Roberts and his deceptive funding of his project (more so make a motion capture film than game) since he hit about 6 million in funding.

He has been shown to have lied many times about what he is doing. His wife also as lied many times about many thing form her past and this project going right back to when they where not keen for the first 3 years of it to acknowledge that they where married.

He and she have been very deceptive.
Stop it. The personal lives of CR and SG have no bearing on the development of the game. Sandi has proved that she is more than worthy of her position, being responsible for the most successful crowdfunded project in history - the project wouldn't be close to where it is without her. In terms of what matters, which is the game itself, they have been EXTREMELY open with the backers and public. Elements of the game have changed, as is inevitable in a project this complex, but they vastly exceed the original scope of the game.

Don't go around regurgitating Derek Smart's trolling campaign. He is a hateful little man, envious of anyone more capable than himself (i.e. everyone). The world would be a better place if he crawled off and died in a ditch.

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
39. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 18, 2016, 05:42 theyarecomingforyou

Flatline wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 22:28:
I never got the game to run in any of it's variants beyond that chat hub thing they released and the hangar. 1 frame per minute performance as soon as arena commander booted up. I don't know if it's working any better or not now because frankly, if I update and agree to the TOS, I give up a lot of rights and I refuse to do that. But from my research I think you needed to run the game off of a SSD and I really don't feel like doing that.
In the hangar and Arena Commander you can get 60fps, with drops during intense content. In the Persistent Universe the game maxes out at about 40fps because of server limitations, with performance ranging from 10-30fps depending on which server you're in. The game is really enjoyable when you get on a fresh server but those expecting a finished game are better off waiting a bit longer, as the game is clearly still in alpha.

Flatline wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 22:28:
And how many times are they going to rewrite the netcode? They've been "rewriting" it for years now. I'm aware of at least 2-3 big delays while they "rewrote the netcode".
They rewrote the netcode to get Arena Commander up and running and they're doing it against now that persistence has been implemented, as the sheer complexity of the game is beyond what the CryEngine netcode was ever intended for. Given that SC is a MMO the netcode will need to be continually reworked between now and release, so it's an ongoing process. Even games that have been commercially released have had major netcode patches subsequent to release, so this isn't something specific to CIG. Given that the game has to be playable throughout development there will be countless reworks of major systems as new engine functionality and gameplay systems come online.

Kosumo wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 04:59:
In your "In short" you did not list gameplay, what's the gameplay and what is it's quality like? Has it improved, does it show signs of improving?
The gameplay consists mostly of exploring and combat. The recent patch added in persistence, meaning you can now buy armour, weapons, clothing, etc. There is a mission system in place, allowing you to complete tasks for credits. There is a criminal system, meaning people who break the law (killing other players in regulated space) earn a bounty and once it is too high all players will be altered to them and be tasked with killing them - bounties can be removed by hacking a space station. The multi-crew ships are great fun to play on, with players able to man turrets or configure power balance, etc. There's also FPS combat, with weapons available at one of the space stations - it's quite clunky at the moment but the next couple of patches are meant to address a lot of the issues.

Given the performance issues it has to be said that right now it isn't very fun or playable - hitting 60fps in the PU isn't possible, even if you have a GTX 1080 or two, because of server limitations. Performance has actually decreased with the introduction of persistence and won't improve for a patch or two at least. When you get on a recently restarted server you get much better performance and can definitely sense the potential, especially when you're with a group of friends of TeamSpeak. I've had a lot of fun with the game already. The potential is certainly there but anyone on the fence should hold off.

The next patch (2.5) adds GRIM Hex, a pirate station. That will give some variety but anyone wanting a better idea of what the game will be like is best waiting until 2.7 when they introduce procedural planets. CIG should be releasing some videos in the next month or so, as Gamescom is around the corner. This was an early glimpse from last year.

6633 Comments. 332 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo