Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6582 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?
131. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 08:56 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 03:41:
Is this the funding timeline you're talking about? Or do you have access to another one that also shows expenditures? Here's the funding for this year, per that doc:

Jan - $3,270,829
Feb - $2,399,668
Mar - $3,183,965
Apr - $3,211,615
May - $2,815,387
Jun - $1,061,274
Jul - - $917,744
Aug - $2,781,241
Sep - $1,215,517

Whenever they hold a ship sale, they make around $3M. When they don't, they make around $1M. That being said, it looks like it's hitting the point of diminishing returns. The funding trend month over month is starting to flatten out.
Funding has certainly dropped off but that's not entirely surprising given that no meaningful content has been delivered recently. We have had the Social Module but functionality-wise it's just a large map that people can run around in; Arena Commander hasn't seen any substantial new content; Star Marine has been repeatedly delayed; the multi-crew release is around the corner; and we've heard nothing about Squadron 42. People are holding back because there's nothing new to see. However, I expect a significant increase in funding after CitizenCon and the release of new content this year. We'll also find out the status of Squadron 42, which is currently an unknown.

Just a few simple questions to you and Fingers.

• When do you expect SQ 42 to be finished?

• When do you expect the PU to be finished?

• They want to make 100 star systems with multiple environments. They have two partially complete. When do you expect them to finish them all?

• How many of these 100 systems should they be releasing per quarter to stay on track with a reasonable release date? Three? Five? Ten?

• If they fail to reach their goal of 100 systems, how many will you be satisfied with?
  • 1) I expect S42 to hit mid-to-late next year, which is a significant delay from when it was due (this year). Once it hits they'll get working on the expansion, which will generate more revenue.
    2-3) I expect the PU to be at least two years off, more likely early 2018. However, the Baby PU is due this year and it will constantly be expanded so that will make the wait more tolerable.
    4) I would want to see 15+ star systems by the end of next year, knowing that the speed at which they will be added should increase exponentially as the pre-fabs are built and procedural generation comes online.
    5) I wouldn't be happy with anything less than the 100 they promised.

I have been and continue to be a supporter of this game. I don't really care about the speculation of chaos within CIG. Whether it's true or not is not important to me, but the metrics are. The pace has been glacial. At this rate, the game will be finished in many years, and funding will have dried up well before then. I'd really like to hear an alternate take, because the numbers aren't adding up, and I can't see light at the end of the tunnel.
    I agree with most of what you say. Development has been slow, playable content has been woefully lacking and there has been a lack of transparency about delays. However, I don't see funding being an issue and expect it will pick up after CitizenCon and further module releases. Don't think that just because I like the game that I don't have my concerns - it would be shocking if I didn't.

Anyway, I'll be at CitizenCon next month and will hopefully get to meet Chris Roberts and the gang. Should be an interesting reveal. It will either solidify my faith in the project or raise some serious concerns. Based on what I've heard is coming next month I'm optimistic. However, I wasn't really impressed with the Gamescom presentation just gone - it seemed like too little progress had been made.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
    Star Citizen: Blue's News
    Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
    127. Re: Op Ed Sep 29, 2015, 21:30 theyarecomingforyou

dsmart wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 12:47:
    Nice try.

Facts: Jim Sterling was running the game at a non-industry standard resolution unsupported by this ALPHA game in EARLY ACCESS.

We added support for that resolutionin the 09/11 build mere days later. Including 4K res, which most gamers don't even have the rig for most games. We got thanked for it.

But since you neither own, nor play the game, this matters not to you.
    The game is still a broken mess, which is the point I was making. It is utterly hypocritical of you to criticise other developers when your game is unplayable for so many and has a pathetic 17% approval rating on Steam. Your game is a trainwreck, yet in all of your attacks you link to your own website to increase the profile of your project. If you were being sincere you wouldn't feel the need to link to your own website all the time.

You seem to be annoyed that somebody else is making a better project than you, which apparently hurts your ego.

Blue wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 11:34:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
    I demonstrated that Derek Smart's claims do not hold up to scrutiny. I refuted his claim on merit and then went on to point out that his claims are a classic case of projection. I simply posted across two topics. None of Captain Smart's claims stand up to scrutiny or are supported by evidence - it's complete conjecture / speculation.

Kxmode wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 13:03:
    I never said I hated Star Citizen, Cloud Imperium Games, Chris Roberts, Sandi Gardiner, Ortwin Freyermuth, or anyone else involved in the project. However CIG has a financial obligation to be honest with those whose money they take. So far they haven't and there's reams (yes reams) of evidence to this fact. Why do I care if I'm no longer a backer? I back other projects (including one I'm most proud to back MADE[1]). If CIG and Star Citizen collapse the shockwave is going to hit crowdfunding / early access like a tsunami. Indie developers won't have the courage to ask public for financial assistance and games like Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, Elite Dangerous, and the like won't exist. It's nothing personal, it's just business. I'm doing this because I truly believe my efforts will help save crowdfunding / early access. If I do nothing I think the fallout from a CIG / Star Citizen collapse would be detrimental.
    You can justify you're trolling however you see fit but your agenda is transparent for all to see.

125. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 29, 2015, 21:05 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 14:52:
    dsmart wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 14:24:
    Because of how I phrased it, yes - you're right.

But the fact remains, unless you need money, why would you sell a non-existent ship for a game that's yet to be made? Know what I mean?

Well, that is their revenue model.
    Exactly. That's been CIG's business model from the start and we've seen a constant stream of ships to generate revenue. It is utterly ridiculous to suggest that the sale for a ship that has been planned since last year is a last minute attempt to make up for a drop in funding. What we've seen from Derek 'Desktop Commander' Smart is nothing more than your typical conspiracy theory nonsense - he has no evidence to support his position. And given the pathetic state of his own titles he has zero credibility.

jdreyer wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 14:57:
    Regardless of who is raising these issues, are you not concerned at all? A company of this size typically burns through $2.5-3M per month, and has been operating 3 years already. How much of that $90M remains? The game isn't anywhere close to being finished. The numbers aren't adding up for me.
    Am I concerned that they'll run out of funding? Based on the funding timeline - no. This year will see the release of Star Marine, multi-crew and the Baby PU, as well as a reveal of S42 at CitizenCon. That will increase interest in the game and lead to more people backing it. CIG will also balance the size of the development team to the level of funding.

Funding is absolutely something that CIG will have to monitor but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest they're reckless with spending. However, I reserve the right to change my opinion should funding drop off and spending remain at an unsustainable level.

Kxmode wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 16:55:
    I was a backer for $930. Out of curiosity how much did you back for?
    You had your investment refunded, so the amount you backed for is utterly irrelevant. All you do is whine about the project. Yours actions go far beyond mere criticism - you're clearly a troll.

dsmart wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 12:43:
    As to the layoffs. Go ahead and tell that to the 9 (engineers and devs) people now confirmed to have been laid off from Austin studios this past Fri.

Total: 13 (4+9) departures
    Source? Given your utter lack of trustworthiness I won't take anything you say at face value. Also, you haven't demonstrated that CIG is reducing the level of staff at the company. Even if some staff are laid off there are plenty being taken on. There simply isn't the evidence to support your position.

News Comments > Op Ed
    122. Re: Op Ed Sep 28, 2015, 10:48 theyarecomingforyou

Derek Smart whining about a game taking too long and underdelivering is classic projection when you look at the shit he peddles. Here's a reminder in case anyone is unaware of how shit Derek Smart's games are. He is the least credible person in the industry to criticise Star Citizen and it's disappointing that Blue is giving him attention.

It's no surprise to see it was Kxmode who linked to the article, given his zealotic hatred of the game. Apparently he has nothing better to do with his life than bash the game - I almost pity him that this is the only thing that brings him enjoyment. At least with Derek Smart it's an egotistical attempt to get more attention and sales for his game - he's an asshat but he doesn't pretend to be anything but.

113. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 28, 2015, 08:10 theyarecomingforyou

What a load of bullshit. The Endeavor has been planned since October 2014 and is one of a constant stream of ships being concepted. CIG has used ship sales to raise money since the launch of crowdfunding - it is not a last minute attempt to raise funding, as Derek 'Desktop Commander' Smart suggests.

With regards to the layoffs, CIG - like all developers - has had layoffs before and operates like any company. If employees underperform then they are let go; if employees receive better job offers they leave (as was the case with Lisa Ohanian). The two staff who left - James Pugh and Alyssa Delhotal - were members of the community team and not related to development. If anything it's reassuring that CIG operates like any business, dismissing those who underperform and promoting those who excel.

Blue, please stop giving Derek Smart attention. He is a professional troll who has admitted to trolling funerals - he is a waste of oxygen who exists only to make the world a less pleasant place. His criticism is only to raise the profile of his own game.

News Comments > UE4 Infiltrator Demo
    8. Re: UE4 Infiltrator Demo Sep 18, 2015, 09:42 theyarecomingforyou

I already had the Epic Games Launcher and still didn't have a clue where to find it until I read it was hidden in the 'Learn' section. It shows up in the 'Community' section but that just opens up a web browser and takes you to the page. They really need to overhaul the entire client, as right now it's a joke. I only downloaded it to try out the new Unreal Tournament.  

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Robbery DLC Next Week
    14. Re: Battlefield Hardline Robbery DLC Next Week Sep 13, 2015, 20:35 theyarecomingforyou

I hate EA as much as the next guy but SWBF actually looks like a decent game. It's obviously designed to appeal to a broad audience, including children, but it looks like one of the best SW games we've seen.

Will it be overpriced, feature excessive amounts of DLC and be unavailable on Steam? Undoubtedly, which is why I boycott EA. However, don't pretend that it looks like a bad game.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Robbery DLC Next Week
    2. Re: Battlefield Hardline Robbery DLC Next Week Sep 12, 2015, 11:26 theyarecomingforyou

Don't they mean Battlefield Highway Robbery?  

News Comments > Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video
    77. Re: Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video Sep 12, 2015, 06:38 theyarecomingforyou

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 16:03:
    Recommending someone commit a felonious act because they are criticizing what possibly could be felonious, defies reason.
    Prostitution is legal in many countries and some US states. I can't be expected to know where every member here lives.

Vall Forran wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 17:00:
    I know! And you're the only one who calls him on it! Hence...IGNORE hammer!

I just can't get over how many people just melt to him. "So Derek, how would "YOU" do SC and make it better?" Like that guy can actually lead a team to make something more than three people have the patience to play.
    Exactly. He has no credibility and is a self-admitted troll. The fact that anyone around him shows him anything other than contempt is disappointing.

Kxmode wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 20:58:
    Nothing would make me happier than to share the details of what I know with you so you can know the truth. But it would be wrong. I was not given permission. I was only allowed to read it. I had my suspicions things were not going well at CIG but I didn't know to what extent. What I read opened my eyes to the truth. If I were to somehow leak this information it could hurt the person who wrote it and their career. If the information is used in a court case or in a federal case and eventually becomes public then you'll know as much as me. In the meantime I just can't.

Keep in mind I know less that those who currently work in the inner circle or are form inner circle members of CIG. None of them go public with their knowledge of CIG for personal and professional reasons. But if many of them share the things I've read then the health of CIG is teetering on collapse. This has NOTHING to do with Derek Smart. This is fomenting strife completely free of any outside influences. It's all internal.

That's as much as I'm going to say on the topic.
    Sure, sure. I'll hold you to those comments.

68. Re: Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video Sep 11, 2015, 14:10 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 00:38:
    RedEye9 wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 23:24:
    Repeatedly saying "you know things" without mentioning what those "things" are, neither elevates your story nor helps your case.
    Either lay it down or explain why you can't (court order, pending investigation, gag rule, NDA, NSA etc...)
    We can handle the truth. Unless it's aliens, I don't think I could handle aliens.

The information is privileged. I am not authorized to disclose it publicly. But what I can say is it describes a treasure trove of shit happening inside CIG at all levels. The word that best sums up what's happening inside CIG is rudderless and that's putting it mildly. In case you need to know precisely what that means. "Lacking in direction, control, or coherence."
    How convenient. Laugh

Do us all a favour a hire yourself a prostitute, as taking out your sexual frustration by criticising SC in every topic here is getting rather tedious.

59. Re: Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video Sep 10, 2015, 09:34 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Sep 9, 2015, 22:07:
    Do you know what's happening inside CIG and Star Citizen? You say things as if you know. I can tell you that I've been privy to information that shows me precisely what's going on.
    Yeah, because you come across as so trustworthy and objective. I'm totally going to trust that you, a professional Star Citizen troll, happen to be the only one to know the truth, along with Mr Desktop Commander.

You need to find something better to do with your life. Seriously.

News Comments > The Witcher III Cost $81M
    23. Re: The Witcher III Cost $81M Sep 10, 2015, 09:32 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 01:02:
    If CDPR was making Star Citizen do you think it would be in a better state or closer to release?
    Is there any topic in which you don't bash Star Citizen? Your trolling is pretty extreme.

56. Re: Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video Sep 9, 2015, 18:37 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Sep 9, 2015, 11:53:
    RedEye9 wrote on Sep 9, 2015, 09:10:
    What happens if a Ready Backer dare dissent.

Those accounts will be marked as a "harassment-only accounts" and silenced. Welcome to website equivalent of North Korea.
    Trolls aren't tolerated there, hence why you're whining here. Bashing this game has become a religion for you. You must be a really bitter person.

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
    156. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 2, 2015, 06:11 theyarecomingforyou

Flatline wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 15:05:
    theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:24:
    Personally I'd rather have it done right and given the problems they've encountered with Star Marine, and given that they haven't released it and been able to gather and implement user feedback, I don't see how they can hit this year, at least not with the full campaign.

I actually agree with you I'd rather they take their time on SQ42 and knock it out of the park, since that's about 98% of why I invested to begin with. Leaving out multiplayer will piss off a lot of people but as much as I shake my head at all the shuffling going on, I consider leaving out drop-in co-op to be *good* news.
    I actually want both. The singleplayer campaign is what made me back the project, as I was looking for the spiritual successor to Starlancer. However, it's the PU that's going to give the game value. Singleplayer games don't usually take long to complete - between six and twenty hours, depending on how open world they are - but living worlds with MMO elements can continue indefinitely.

Tumbler wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 16:45:
    I don't think they're aiming for a "Full PU". I think they're aiming to have something out there like how the social hubs / module is out there now. There is nothing to do in the hubs, it's just pretty and there is only one of them currently but it's technically out...

I would guess that since Nyx is on the way and Arc Corp is obviously here a starting PU could be two solar systems one with the ARC landing zone and one with the Nyx landing zone. Throw in some asteroids, some pirates, a few vanduul and you've got an alpha PU. Expand from there.

All that seems possible if they're about have Multi crew working, and star marine and they can sew it all together. Heck doing that and then building a tiny PU by end of 2016 sounds reasonable until you mention SQ42....how the hell are they going to have time to make that? From what they've been able to produce in the past that don't have time to do anything else. It's either SQ42 and end of 2016 or alpha PU at end of 2016. I don't see them being able to do both let alone do SQ42 end of this year and PU end of next year.
    Arena Commander 2.0 is considered 'baby PU', in that you'll be able to explore, engage in missions, take on NPC ships, etc. That's due out later this year. It will be built up over time but there's a write-up here for those interested: http://imperialnews.network/2015/09/star-citizen-release-plans/

Basically they're looking to create and release the entire Stanton star system and use that as the gold standard from which to build other systems. It's a large system with four planetside locations. The foundation of the PU will start to take shape at the end of the year, so there'll be a lot more to do than the extremely limited release we have at the moment.

Flatline wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 17:39:
    As long as I don't have to pay for the f*cking episodes.
    There won't be any additional charges for S42. However, like Star Wars or The Lord Of The Rings, it's part of a trilogy. They will be released as paid expansions further down the line and will help support the costs of running the PU. New content will continue to be released as long as the game is popular, much like with WoW.

In terms of content Chris Roberts has stated that the script for the game and the performance capture shoot that they did is larger than any video game or movie he has ever worked on, so it's not going to be a short experience.

News Comments > Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam
    37. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 15:17 theyarecomingforyou

Desalus wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 15:12:
    Marvin T. Martian wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:47:
    That one line is enough to make it a no buy. M/KB should always be the main and equal to or better than adding console controller.(as well as the console save system).

C'mon...you're meaning to tell me you prefer to play racing and platforming games with a M/KB over a controller? I find that very hard to believe. Some games are easier to control with a M/KB and some are easier to control with a controller. There's no need to be a "PC Master Race" elitist.
    Heck, being part of the PC Master Race is using the best controller for the game. Driving games are usually best with a controller or wheel; flight games are best with HOTAS.

That said, M+KB should be perfectly viable and if it's not then that's a bad sign.

31. Re: Mad Max released, Star Citizen not even remotely close to release Sep 1, 2015, 14:37 theyarecomingforyou

harlock wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:33:
    theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:31:
    nin wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:03:
    Sad troll is sad, begs for attention. Humps kx's leg.
    I'm quite happy, actually. But I don't mind the attention.

how many cats do you have in your house right now?
    Just the one, but the neighbour's cat visits regularly. Anxious

29. Re: Mad Max released, Star Citizen not even remotely close to release Sep 1, 2015, 14:31 theyarecomingforyou

nin wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 14:03:
    Sad troll is sad, begs for attention. Humps kx's leg.
    I'm quite happy, actually. But I don't mind the attention.

147. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 14:24 theyarecomingforyou

Flatline wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 12:52:
    Actually you're wrong there. Even on the kickstarter page it says that the "single player" game will be online for "drop in/drop out multiplayer!".

So yeah, SQ42, according to the kickstarter page as of... oh ... 12 seconds ago, is waiting on netcode, matchmaking, and probably 3rd person animations.

I suspect his CR ultimate goal is to have SQ42 occur *inside* the PU. That was the pitch anyway. SQ42 occurs, then your character moves on into the PU and plays around.
    Actually, they've stated that the co-op missions are going to be part of the PU and come later - they'll be accessed via Arena Commander. The singleplayer is playable entirely offline. So no, it doesn't need netcode. However, even if it did need netcode, matchmaking and third-person animations they could all come after the initial release.

As I've said, I remain sceptical that S42 will hit this year or be ready any time soon (I'm predicting mid-to-late 2016) but it's possible. Personally I'd rather have it done right and given the problems they've encountered with Star Marine, and given that they haven't released it and been able to gather and implement user feedback, I don't see how they can hit this year, at least not with the full campaign.

21. Re: Mad Max Game Released; Movies on Steam Sep 1, 2015, 13:33 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 12:35:
    I really enjoy this game!
    It figures that you'd like a casual game like this whilst zealously bashing Star Citizen, a game with depth.

141. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 11:44 theyarecomingforyou

nin wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 10:11:
    Scheherazade wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 10:03:
    I wish the people that are upset about their use of money would have simply never gotten involved. They clearly didn't appreciate the conditions they were getting involved in at the time they hit the 'spend' button.

Complaining about CIG is like complaining to 7-11 that you didn't win the lottery and you want your dollar back. If you don't like taking risks, don't finance a startup.

-scheherazade

Some of us backers feel the same way (not wanting to be involved). But what the project started at, at what it morphed into are two wildly different things. I don't give a fuck about a social space, or a FP shooter, or a goddamn racetrack...yet here's all this stupid shit, and no single player.

A better comparison would be a lottery that changes the rules every week and gives out prizes no one asked for instead of the promised money.

A better analogy would be buying a lottery ticket only to find the prize is bigger and better than what was originally planned but that it will take longer to receive it. Do you want $1,000,000 now or $10,000,000 later?

At this point it's too early to say if S42 will be delayed. People weren't expecting the social module yet it was demoed and released quite quickly. Many of the issues with Star Marine don't directly affect S42 - it doesn't rely on netcode, third person player animations or matchmaking, which have been the main reasons for the SM delay. It's still possible that CIG will surprise people and reveal S42 at CitizenCon and announce it will be released on schedule this year, though I personally think that's unlikely.

I should point out that the persistent universe was promised from the start and FPS combat was announced before the Kickstarter closed. Just because YOU aren't interested in them doesn't mean that wasn't what you backed. The racing was an internal test for the physics and handling that was released to backers as a bonus - we still only have the one location, so it's not like it's been prioritised over the core game. As for the delays, obviously nobody likes them but the end product is going to end up better as a result. Personally I'd rather wait for a better product than getting an inferior product sooner - you're free to disagree.

No game of this scale has ever been developed in such a short time frame, so it's not like the development time is greater than average for the industry. The initial targets were overly optimistic, a pattern we've unfortunately seen repeated. It's best to take any targets with a pinch of salt rather than get worked up about them.

6582 Comments. 330 pages. Viewing page 10.
    < Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo