Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6582 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Employee Article Follow-up
9. Re: Star Citizen Employee Article Follow-up Oct 2, 2015, 11:34 theyarecomingforyou

Here's a link to some of the allegations in the article which were directly lifted from Glassdoor, which is an anonymous site in which there is no way to contact those who make posts or verify their identity. None of the sources have been revealed and no attempt was made to contact the individuals against whom allegations were made (like Sandi Gardiner).

What's worse is that Forbes decided to repeat the allegations, subsequently having to make several corrections. Shocking journalism. Derek Smart's trolling campaign continues.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
94. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 09:29 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 08:22:
Desalus wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 23:36:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 21:28:
As an outsider it is hard to tell what might be true and what not but...

It is very unfortunate that CR had to pack his retort with so many lies because that makes his retort look just as unprofessional as the Escapist piece. It's like a gigantic clash of bullshit as if a million cows all shat at once!

So it's hard for you to tell what might be true and what is not, but you seem very certain that the article is complete bullshit and Chris is lying a lot. So how did you exactly come to that conclusion when it's hard for you to tell?

It should be obvious for anyone with the reading comprehension skills of a first grader that I was talking about the Escapist's side when I said that it is hard to tell what might be true (you know, which allegations).
I've been a follower of this project from day numero uno with a citizen number under 10K, golden ticket and all that jazz.
I remember many of the promises and past statements very well and I know exactly when CR is lying or twisting facts and as I pointed out his retort is unfortunately full of lies, twisting, and weaseling out of questions (a fact that -amongst others here- jdreyer has also noted and articulated) .

I've only seen Sandi on camera (but hundreds of times) and she would really have to be an awesome actress if any of the allegations were true. She's always come across as genuinely nice and friendly usually. Maybe a little conceited (which actress/model isn't?) but evil, vicious, bitchy? Nope. Not a hint of it.

lol, are you serious? Put an actor/actress in front of a camera and you think you're going to get their genuine personality? You can't think of any actors/actresses that seem so nice when filmed but are really assholes?

There's more to it. There are also numerous statements by her coworkers and thousands of fans who have met or corresponded with her, all saying that she is an amazing person all around. Then there is the Reverse the Verse show on Fridays where everything is more casual and relaxed and Sandi often makes an appearance just being herself and not a presenter like on Around the Verse etc.

Sandi is usually very composed, almost a bit shy (because she doesn't/didn't know much about game development but she's an avid learner). She is very well educated and is fluent in at least English, German, French and Spanish or Italian (or both... I forget).
She's got a 6th dan diploma in MMA. People like that usually know how to control themselves very well.

Sorry but from everything that I have seen in the past three years there is absolutely no way that she is a racist, cussing, insult flinging, screaming super-bitch as portrayed in the Escapist "article".
I could imagine that she doesn't get along with everyone equally well (who does really?), that she comes across as a little arrogant or conceited sometimes or that some people are plain envious of her looks and education but she is certainly nowhere near the devil those "sources" are making her out to be.

Exactly. I'm sure she can be a hardass at times, demanding a lot from employees, but that's her job. As for the racist allegations, she just doesn't come across like that in Around The Verse and there is no excuse for publishing such allegations without any evidence or without seeking her comment - that's not journalism, it's character assassination. The biggest criticism I can direct at her is that she's not a very good actress, which doesn't have any bearing on her job as VP of Marketing.

nin wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 09:00:
SXO wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 08:54:
Bluesnews is really having fun stroking Derek Smart's hard-on lately. You guys still giving this guy clout and beating his drum for him? I come here for real game stories, not this contrived controversy.

What did drek have to do with this story? It's from the escapist.
The journalist that published it was interacting with Derek Smart before it's publication. It's very clear where many of the allegation came from, even though it was presented otherwise. The article even used anonymous claims from the site Glassdoor. It wasn't a legitimate article - it was a hit piece.

85. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 07:19 theyarecomingforyou

Peeeling wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 06:27:
Look at STALKER. Massive open-world ambition, huge hype, ultimately rushed out as a tragic, buggy shell of what it promised because spending the extra decade it would have taken to realise its potential wasn't an option. It broke the 20/80 rule, hard. It was released, I'd say, 30% complete.
That was a small team on a small budget with no major industry experience. That's not comparable to Star Citizen, which is compromised of some of the most experienced people in the industry (veterans of Blizzard, Crytek, id Software, etc) and has a massive budget.

Peeeling wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 06:27:
Now think about the really towering achievements in large-scale game development. Assassin's Creed. GTA. Dragon Age. The Witcher. Imagine Star Citizen were one of those titles. Looking at what there is to play of it, right now, how far through the development of those games would you say it is? If you saw Assassin's Creed, with just a room to walk around in, no missions, no story, no world, and no working parkour, would you say it was 90% done? 50%? 10%?
We know that a lot of the content being worked on at CIG is kept hidden for reveals and to protect the singleplayer experience. Look at the Gamescom presentation this year - we saw a massive large world map, a major new space station, new gameplay mechanics, etc. Look at Gamescom the year before - we saw planetside shown for the first time, with planet entry, landing and multi-crew. The leak showed us large amounts of assets relating to Squadron 42 that had never been shown. We know that all the performance capture for it is complete yet we haven't seen a single frame of it, nor do we even know who the actors are.

It cannot be stated enough that when the Kickstarter was launched the studio has only a handful of staff. It's not like other games where they have an established studio and they're only revealing it a year away from release. It takes time to develop. People forget how much content has been revealed already.

In just over a week we're going to have the CitizenCon presentation where they show off Squadron 42 and other elements of the game, which will be followed by the 1.3 patch they're working on - multi-crew and FPS are imminent. That will give us a better understanding of where the project is at. If they fail to deliver I'll be the first to point that out. As I've said before, I am concerned about the lack of playable content and the delays we've seen but I also appreciate that it can come together quite quickly. We'll have a second planetside location this year, the Baby PU, multi-crew, FPS - those things will transform the game, which is currently a glorified tech demo. What matters is the end result and at the moment everything I've seen suggests the game will be great.

84. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 06:57 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 22:28:
Chris makes his personal life public when he hires his wife into a senior level position at the company that I funded. I may not have stockholder rights, but I'm not going to sit idly by. She's an executive who claims to have a Masters from UCLA, but has since removed that reference from her LinkedIn page. How can you trust someone like that?
As I pointed out, she is responsible for the most successful crowdfunding campaign in history and has done as good a job as she could given the lack of playable content. She's more than capable on her own merits and respected by the community, just as Ben Lesnick is (he doesn't have a major background in the industry - he's mostly just a Wing Commander fanboy).

jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 22:28:
Also, notice how they refer to each other in the vid transcript as "Mr. Roberts" and "Ms. Gardiner." They've been married years, and this is how they address each other? Are you fucking kidding me? How else do you explain this other than a deliberate attempt at obfuscation.
That's about respect. Referring to her as his wife only diminishes her credibility and demeans her. He refers to his brother Erin by name as well. They have every right to keep that information personal and Derek Smart had no right to dox them.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 22:48:
I had a conversation with a coworker today about crowdfunding. Star Citizen came up and I went over the points about it. He doesn't know anything about Star Citizen, Derek Smart, Chris Roberts, etc for all intents and purposes he's a completely neutral outsider. After I explained all the things going on with the project his exact response was "This sounds like a scam." I know right?! I mean if it sounds a duck and swims like a duck; it's a duck. I don't believe Chris ever intended to defraud people and I believe he thinks he can complete his vision. But all of the symptoms of a classic long con scam is there. It's like a puzzle. Put the pieces together and you'll see the picture.
So you told a co-worker who didn't know anything about the project how bad it was and then they agreed with you? Quelle surprise.

Dacron wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 01:23:
"Nine people reached out to us - two were completely anonymous and were used to corroborate information. The seven quoted below identified themselves, but will be referenced by number (CS1, CS2, etc.) at their request."

So yeah, not using anonymous postings from glassdoor. Nothing from sources they could not name was used. Some astute detective work they did on reddit again... But I guess we're embarrassing ourselves, you know, actually reading the article.
I have ZERO faith in their journalistic integrity when they posted unsubstantiated allegations about Sandi without any attempt to ask her for comment. They haven't publicly identified themselves, as far as I'm aware, which makes their comments anonymous. They also refused to include Chris Roberts' response initially, despite being sent before the deadline to the managing editor who requested the information. They also applied an arbitrary deadline and forced Chris Roberts to take a day away from developing the game. And now it looks like they took anonymous comments from Glassdoor! Terrible, terrible excuse for journalism.

More evidence of bad journalism by The Escapist.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 02:03:
Roberts: "We weren’t – we strongly believe in free speech and allow many dissenting opinions on our forums as long as they stay within standards of decency."

This is patently false. I have used my free speech to share dissenting opinions on RSI's forums. My reward for doing so? A 24-hour ban and then a 7-day ban. In full disclosure the 24-hour ban was in response to the wave of White Knights attacking me for posting my original dissenting posts. I simply wasn’t prepare for the level of vitriol they brought; so I returned it in kind... boom, 24-hour ban. I hadn't seen anything like it on any other community forums and I’ve been on many. Up until RSI forums I thought WOW and Guild Wars 2 forums were crazy but RSI forums took crazy to a new level.
I frequently post comments critical of the game and its development on the forums, as do many others, without ever having been banned. Given your comments here it's patently obvious to everyone why you got banned.

39. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 1, 2015, 21:00 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 20:47:
The issue with Sandi is she's not just Chris' wife sitting on the side lines baking cookies and occasionally showing up at the office to drop off the kids
Misogyny much?!
By all accounts I would suggest her salary is likely closer to half a million.
Baseless speculation.
To date Chris has never mentioned Sandi as being his wife.
Their personal life is personal. She's responsible for the most successful crowdfunding campaign in history - she's obviously getting something right. Doxing his family is absolutely unacceptable and a serious privacy invasion, though sadly expected from Derek Smart given that he's a professional troll.
To hide this Sandi uses her acting last name.
Actors frequently maintain their names after marriage. There is nothing nefarious to it. That's your projection.

35. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 1, 2015, 20:37 theyarecomingforyou

Thoughts from someone who works over at Kotaku regarding the Escapist Post.

Originally Posted By: jsschreier

Yeah, we've been hearing from and talking to various current and former employees at CIG for a while now. I've spent a ton of time editing and working with others on the team and we've published a couple of things so far. Part of our job is to determine what's relevant, concrete information that's actually worth reporting and what's just gossip from employees who are angry for one reason or another.

FWIW, this is one of the most disgusting pieces of reporting I've ever seen, and I'm legit shocked that any professional website would publish something like "It was also claimed that Gardiner used race as a determining factor in selecting employees, allegedly once saying 'We aren't hiring her. We aren't hiring a black girl'" without crystal-clear sourcing and evidence (and without giving the person in question a chance to defend herself).
What's really ironic is that the Escapist article's author is a huge figure of GamerGate, a movement about ethics in journalism.
Source

Including the allegation that Sandi Gardiner is racist without any evidence or giving her a chance to respond is beyond bad journalism - it's character assassination. The claim is so laughably absurd. The article is littered with other unsubstantiated claims and Chris Roberts' letter points out more examples.

34. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 1, 2015, 20:22 theyarecomingforyou

Flatline wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 18:59:
Someone didn't read the article.

9 sources. 9. 7 of them identified themselves and weren't anonymous. 2 were and weren't quoted, they were used to help verify the other 7. Reading the story and you keep seeing statements like "all sources were consistent" and "we frequently heard from all sources".
I didn't read the whole article but the quotes I saw were referred to by a codename rather than as an individual. And again, just because they're consistent doesn't mean that they were privileged to know that information - they could have heard it second hand from another source, it could have been out of context (i.e. that money was all they had available for that particular studio). But I'm open to looking at the allegations on a case by case basis - I just don't have the time to read the entire article at the moment.

Flatline wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 18:59:
If you're not seeing the writing on the wall, what is your level of proof before you admit something fucked up is happening? Because there's a mountain of evidence that something is rotten in the state of Denmark, but you keep invoking skepticism. And that's okay, so long as you have a threshold of proof that has to be overcome. Otherwise you're not a skeptic, you're just a zealot.
Let's say the accusations are accurate and CIG only has $8m left (and we don't have any substantiated evidence to support that) - that doesn't tell us what the projected income is, what future revenue sources are planned. If the game were to launch on Steam Early Access it could easily generate tens of millions of dollars, even after Valve's percentage. We know that CitizenCon will be a big event and have some major reveals; we know that they usually have a major sale to accompany it. What you're talking about is one piece of a much bigger puzzle. Is there grounds for concern? Absolutely. Is the writing on the wall? The evidence doesn't yet support that.

If the game goes tits up it goes tits up. I'll be disappointed but life moves on. We'll find out soon enough.

At the end of the day this entire article is a result of Derek Smart and his trolling. He has set out to singlehandedly take down the game. I mean, are these statements the actions of a sane, reasonable person? Many of the claims are unsubstantiated and are in violation of The Escapist's own ethics guidelines. It strikes me as poor journalism.

21. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 1, 2015, 18:50 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 18:26:
Still, CR was very careful to avoid discussing their burn rate and how much they have in reserve. I just hope that his alternate sources of funding are substantial.
That's because giving figures only serves to fuel his critics and provides no benefit. No figure he could give would satisfy Derek Smart and would only give him ammunition to attack the company. What you also have to consider is projected income, which is commercially sensitive information and won't be shared.

jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 18:26:
"Anybody even with minimal knowledge about game development can assess the significant progress by looking at the released modules and the detailed monthly reports from each development studio," Roberts said. "We have a massive team, working flat out to build something special for everybody. We feel like we've made huge strides and have completed a good portion of the underlying technology that will enable us to make Star Citizen the game that your sources say can't be made."

Three years to build the underlying architecture before you even begin on the content? That's nuts.
That's not what he said. They've been working on assets at the same time - they've completed performance capture, finished a lot of the ships, created large world environments, designed the character models and outfits, made progress on multiple planetside locations, etc. What he's referring to is the major engine work, like moving to 64-bit precision to allow for large world maps and local grids to support multi-crew. We don't know how far along Squadron 42 is but clearly a lot of work has already been put into it beyond merely the technology. The monthly reports have detailed a lot of that work.

Flatline wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 18:26:
How often do you get ex-employees who make up specific, detailed, consistent bullshit about their old employers that mystically matches up with all the other stories from ex-employees? In almost 20 years of working professionally I've only encountered it maybe once or twice. Generally speaking most grudges from ex-employees are grounded in reality.
We're talking about claims made by anonymous individuals. It's quite easy for misinformation to spread. For instance, most employees aren't going to be given access to the company's financial records - that tends to be hearsay.

Let me be clear, I'm not dismissing the allegations. I'm just understandably sceptical.

News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship
188. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 18:33 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 18:12:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 10:40:
At the moment CIG has around 250 staff - even if you assume an average salary of $80,000 (the industry average) that's only $1.7m a month. It also has around 100 contractors, who will be paid a fraction of that (even if you assume $50,000 that's $0.4m).

Why do you think contractors will only be paid a fraction of that? Your totally wrong. If you where right they would do the whole game with nothing but contractors.
Because they're not employed for the entire year - they're brought on for specific jobs. And yes, contractors are used a lot precisely to keep costs down - it's cheaper than hiring full-time employees.

Plus your basic maths is very bad, 100 contractors @ $50,000 is .5 million not .4 - which is wrong anyway due to your numbers being wrong (plus the contractors may not work for the whole year.
My maths is just fine: $50,000 / 12 months * 100 employees = $416,666

Scaling down would put them in a death spiral and Chris Roberts knows that which is why he is trying to scale up (but not in the US, because I think he is using tax credits in UK and Germany)
Scaling down would involve all aspects of the development - fewer outfits / environments, quicker turnaround (fewer passes), more reused assets, greater reliance on procedural generation, etc. The number of developers is based on the funding level - if the funding is reduced they'll make accommodations.

13. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 1, 2015, 18:16 theyarecomingforyou

When employees are let go it's only natural that some of them will hit out at the company. There's no way to verify any of the assertions made. Could they be accurate? Absolutely. Could they be exaggerated? More than likely. This isn't the first time an ex-employee has been critical of the company.

What's interesting is the post by Chris Roberts about Derek Smart:

Derek Smart is very adept at doing what he has been doing; spreading Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. He always grabs one nugget of a fact and uses that to sell a whole lot of lies and disinformation. He tweets about Star Citizen EVERY DAY. Not once but multiple times. If you read his Twitter stream it comes across as the crusade of a crazy man. He continually blogs about us. He constantly agitates…encouraging people to ask for refunds, report us to the FTC, the FBI and/or their local attorney general. He calls me a liar, a fraud, incompetent and many other names. He has slandered my family members and business partners. He has publically doxed me, sharing the address of my home in LA, pictures of my wife and five year old daughter.

Yup, Derek Smart is even more of an asshole that I had previously thought. Impressive.

180. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 16:43 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 15:14:
@ Theyarecoming, Lurkerlito

We had a good discussion of salary here. Basically, after looking at the industry average salary of $83K, we went with $120K per employee to cover salary, company paid benefits (healthcare, AD&D, 401K, etc. usually ~$15K at this salary), office space, equipment, expenses, utilities, promotion, etc. etc. For 250 employees, that's $3M per month. So, they've spent appr $27M this year, while bringing in (as of today) $21,315,808. That's not too bad. The thing is, they've got to keep spending $3M for several more years, and funding is only going to drop off going forward.
That sounds reasonable. It doesn't matter that they're spending more than they're taking in because they raised so much early on when their expenditure was low. I'd expect funding to increase substantially when Squadron 42 is released, which should be some time next year. Also, all that money has been raised via the Kickstarter and their own website - it will increase substantially when the game is inevitably added to Steam, presumably under the Early Access programme.

I'm sure CIG will scale the number of employees to match funding. That's just standard business practice and we know that CIG frequently terminates underperforming staff, so it's being run as a proper business. When CIG starts delivering content I'm sure funding will increase, as that's been the pattern so far. The first Squadron 42 footage is going to be released this month, which is a major milestone for the project. Showing a top-tier Hollywood cast will certainly increase the attention it receives - just look at what Kevin Spacey did for Call Of Duty.

Drayth wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 16:20:
Base price is actually $350, and yeah I didn't like the way this was reported either. Even $350 is a lot of money thrown to the wind, but the article reads like $900 is what this ship is set at.
Exactly. The $900 package includes the ship and all modules, which you can't use at the same time. That said, given the price is so extreme in comparison to the industry average I don't really fault Blue.

Murder She Wrote wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 16:22:
dsmart wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 13:13:
And the point of the comparison is without merit.

Just because the comparison embarrasses you doesn't mean its without merit. Perhaps you should worry about putting work into your own products and let other creators worry about their own projects. If you spent as much time creating your games as you did waging war on the internet the end result might be better for yourself and the few customers you've ever had.
Even if he had the same budget and same development period he couldn't even come close to what Chris Roberts is doing.

169. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 14:47 theyarecomingforyou

LurkerLito wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 13:50:
OK so let's use YOUR numbers and say they AVERAGED since 2013 till September 2015 (33 months) approximately $2m per month. That should more than take care of the first year 2013 of having a lower number of employees and lower operating costs. Then very simple to use math to calculate that they have used up approximately $66m out of the $90m they had. At that $2m/month rate they only have 12 months of money left (~$24m left). But if you use your numbers and say CIG is now burning $3m/month then that is ~8 months. Let's say he gets another $3m this month from spaceship sales. Do you honestly believe this game will be DONE in 8-13 months? I know I don't from what CIG has shown. That doesn't even take into consideration the simple fact that even if CIG miraculously finishes the game feature complete in the next 13 months, he won't have enough money to keep the servers running for the PU running without a bare minimum requiring a subscription fee.
The numbers I used were extremely padded. Bandwidth and studio costs aren't going to be running at $1m a month, I just used that as a worst case scenario - it was also using industry averages for salary when CIG has openly stated they have a higher percentage of less experienced people from the modding community. A year ago and a half ago CIG has 212 employees, including external contractors - to average back to 2013 at $2m a month isn't reasonable. Further, all the doom and gloom is predicated on CIG deliberately employing more staff that it has the money for and knowingly burning through its cash reserves. There is no evidence to support that. Is it a concern? Sure, but it's speculation.

LurkerLito wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 13:50:
You don't need Derek Smart to figure out that CIG is in way over their heads and they are running low on cash now. It's simply basic logic applied to simple math along with what CIG has shown and accomplished over the past 33 months vs what they have promised to deliver in the finished product and the time left they have in terms of approximate cash they have left. To put it in simple terms, fire up the latest version of SC that you have. Play it, and tell yourself what your are playing now took 33 months! They now have somewhere on the order of 8-13 months left of cash. Now ask yourself the simple question, if what you just played took 33 months to make, how can they expect to finish what they promised in the next 8-13 months and keep up the PU servers?
You haven't demonstrated that CIG is low on cash - it's speculation. Without looking through the accounts we can't know that. Further, if CIG starts to run low on cash it can simply scale back the number of employees. What is playable now doesn't represent the entirety of the development - we've seen Star Marine, multi-crew, large world maps and much more shown off. Squadron 42 has been kept under wraps but we know the script is done, the performance capture completed, most of the ships designed, etc. Just because it isn't playable doesn't mean substantial work hasn't been done on it.

However, I have expressed concern that we still have yet to see a single star system and we are supposed to have 100 star systems for launch. That means the rate of production will have to increase substantially. However, we know that the assets are being constructed and procedural generation will be used to aid construction. That means once the first few are out the others will take substantially less time. We've seen that with ships - at the start it took a long time for new ships to be added yet now they're added frequently.

Let me be clear, I am not happy with the level of playable content currently available and I think CIG has done a poor job of delivering it, especially given the delays. We still only have two maps for Arena Commander, one racing location and the FPS module will only ship with one map. That is not good enough. I have been calling on the forums for CIG to take sections of the large world map they're working on and release them as playable content - the work's already been done so it would be easy. CIG needs to start delivering playable content on a frequent basis - new maps for FPS, new racing locations, star systems, etc.

Just because I like the game doesn't mean that I'm not aware of its many shortcomings. I acknowledge that the entire project could go tits up and be a spectacular failure.

161. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 13:25 theyarecomingforyou

dsmart wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 13:13:
Orogogus wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 12:19:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 12:03:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 08:45:
This is what your shitty game looked like; meanwhile this was the game Chris Roberts had released a year earlier. Your games are utterly amateurish. You should be embarrassed to talk about your games in a topic about Star Citizen.

Why are you comparing the visual fidelity of Star Citizen to a game released in 2003? That's a ridiculous level of douchebaggery.

I don't know if maybe you're on mobile and didn't see the second link, but he's clearly comparing Battlecruiser Millennium Gold to Starlancer, relatively contemporary games.

And the point of the comparison is without merit.
The point was to compare the shit you put out to the excellent games that Chris Roberts puts out. That's exactly what I did. I'm not surprised that you don't like the comparison. I suggest a career change - given your obnoxious personality and inability to see reason you'd make an excellent Fox News pundit.

157. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 13:12 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 08:45:
This is what your shitty game looked like; meanwhile this was the game Chris Roberts had released a year earlier. Your games are utterly amateurish. You should be embarrassed to talk about your games in a topic about Star Citizen.

Why are you comparing the visual fidelity of Star Citizen to a game released in 2003? That's a ridiculous level of douchebaggery.
I didn't. I compared his game from 2001 (the Gold version is actually from 2003 which makes it even worse) to Starlancer, which was released a year earlier. Your reading comprehension is severely lacking. Stop embarrassing yourself.

This kind of reasoning is flawed. For example you may believe films by M. Night Shyamalan are trash and typically his films get low ratings on MetaCritic so it would appear you're right. Based on that you conclude "People hate movies from M. Knight" and "he makes trashy films". However this is purely subjective and based entirely on your opinion. The truth is there's enough people who actually like his style of films for him to keep making them.

Ask yourself, why are so blindly committed to supporting Star Citizen after overwhelming evidence has been presented that shows it is on verge of collapse?
Liking a game doesn't make me 'blindly committed' to it. I frequently share my criticisms and concerns about the game. On the otherhand you go out of your way to criticise it at every opportunity, even in utterly unrelated topics - that is the behaviour of a zealot. Further, there certainly isn't 'overwhelming evidence' that it's on the 'verge of collapse' - in fact it's a one man campaign by Derek Smart, who makes demonstrably false claims and calls his games the 'Holy Grail' of the genre despite them being universally despised. As I pointed out in my previous post the level of funding the game is currently receiving is perfectly sustainable, at least in the short-term. Should the funding not pick up after CitizenCon and the updates later this year then we can re-examine the situation. All the doom and gloom is predicated on funding drying up and CIG refusing to downsize - the evidence to support that, especially the latter point, is not there.

154. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 10:40 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 09:22:
You do realize that by attacking dsmart's games, whatever anyone's subjective opinion of them is, you are pointing out the fact that dsmart actually made those games. (With his own money) While Chris Roberts was fired the last time he tried to pull the shit he is pulling now (Freelancer) and hasn't released a game in more than a decade.
Arena Commander, as limited as it is, is at least playable and fun, which is more than be said of any of his titles. This month should see the release of Star Marine and the Baby PU, which will again surpass anything Derek Smart has put out. Later this month we'll also see how far along Squadron 42 is and when it is likely to release.

At the moment CIG has around 250 staff - even if you assume an average salary of $80,000 (the industry average) that's only $1.7m a month. It also has around 100 contractors, who will be paid a fraction of that (even if you assume $50,000 that's $0.4m). Even when you add in the cost of studios, bandwidth and computers you're not going to be looking at much more than $3m a month - meanwhile the game has raised an average of $2.5m a month for the past six months. Most of those staff have joined recently and they would have had substantially lower staff costs for 2013-2014. One also has to remember that there has been little in the way of new playable content or big releases, which has reduced funding - if CitizenCon goes well that's likely to change.

But fuck logic, right? Let's all worship Derek Smart as he proclaims that his games are literally the Holy Grail of the space sim genre. He's the mad man wandering through the streets, drooling and wearing his underwear on his head, yet people like Kxmode actually pretend he has some credibility.

150. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 08:45 theyarecomingforyou

dsmart wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 07:49:
To date, my Battlecruiser/Universal Combat games are the only games that have ever actually found the Holy Grail. As hard as that is to believe, it is an indisputable fact.
Delusional doesn't even begin to cover what you just said. Your games are shit, hence why you're the laughing stock of the industry. The only reason you're attacking Star Citizen is to promote your own products and because you're jealous of Chris Roberts' success.

dsmart wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 07:49:
I added fps in 2001 when Battlecruiser Millennium was released.
This is what your shitty game looked like; meanwhile this was the game Chris Roberts had released a year earlier. Your games are utterly amateurish. You should be embarrassed to talk about your games in a topic about Star Citizen. People hate your games. Line Of Defense is one of the lowest rated games on Steam, with 83% of reviews being negative. Take a hint and find a new career.

News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?
135. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 30, 2015, 17:05 theyarecomingforyou

Krovven wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 15:56:
I didn't. Not sure why I have to repeatedly state this every single time. I have no interest in Star Citizen due to it's business model. I think it's a scam. People are crazy to be spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on this game of promises, let alone any game.
I don't think people are crazy for spending so much, as long as they have the disposable income to do so. I backed the game at the lowest level because I liked the idea but knew it was a gamble. As more content has been released and I liked what I saw I have increased by contribution gradually. This is a game I will likely put more time into than every other game I own combined, so for me it represents value.

This does not mean that Chris Roberts is beholden to the "backers". Only $2 million was made on Kickstarter. The rest has been from fools throwing him money on their website. It's not a public company. They don't owe anyone full disclosure. Should they be questioned? Sure. Don't expect answers. It's as simple as, don't be an idiot and buy their $900 ship designs. But it's way too late for that, the damage is done.
This. You're not buying on a game - it's a gamble. The game could turn out to be amazing, it could fall apart and be a massive disappointment. For me personally I was willing to take that chance given my love of the genre. But backers should know exactly what they're pledging for and know the risks.

Derek Smart has no business going on this vendetta of his to bring CIG and everyone inside of it down. It's a direct conflict of interest, has gone way beyond the point of obsession and he's attacking individuals inside of the company directly damaging many of those peoples lives over this witch hunt of his. This personal conflict shit happens every day in companies and CIG is not special in that regard. In this case, it's an outside individual stirring the pot that arguably has something to gain from the failure of Star Citizen (that's a whole other topic). It's none of his business and at the very least he should have ended his crusade when they refunded his donation.
This. A thousand times this. He has a conflict of interest, he is a proven troll, he has anger issues and he has no credibility. He's the Donald Trump of video games. He shouldn't be given any attention. There are plenty valid criticisms of the game and the way it is being developed but the claims Derek Smart makes are too often demonstrably false, which only serves to diminish the few times he highlights a legitimate point. When you're wrong nine times out of ten people aren't going to listen when you get something right. He's just throwing shit at a wall and seeing what will stick.

103. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 15:47 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 15:15:
I wonder if that's true though. It's pretty obvious to anyone out there that there's a ton of interest, and CIG is simply failing in the execution of it. If anything, the $90M that CIG has collected should be a signal that there's gold in them hills, especially for nostalgia laden games like X-Wing.
I really don't think we're going to see any hardcore Star Wars IP set in space, certainly not in the mould of Tie Fighter. Look at the direction they're going for ship combat in Star Wars Battlefront. Everything is about appealing to the casual audience.

Flatline wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:42:
1. Show me where the fleet commander interface is planned. That's a new one for me.
Everything is done in first person but there are plans to allow people to organise fleets - I can't show you the interface because it hasn't been created yet. There was an extremely early version shown during the original Kickstarter before the game expanded in scope.

Flatline wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:42:
I'm not talking about trading, or collecting ships, boarding actions, or any shit like that. I'm talking about a multiplayer focused skirmish game where the end results of instanced skirmishes have an impact on territory controlled.
Territories and production facilities can be controlled by orgs and there will be battles over them. That has been the plan for a long time now.

91. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 14:38 theyarecomingforyou

Flatline wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:08:
x-wing & tie fighter, with a "persistant" strategic map, and the ability to have players drop into a homeworld style interface to assign priorities to wings and control cap ships?

Oh god yes where do I sign up?
Firstly, that's pretty much exactly what Star Citizen. Secondly, if Star Citizen fails then there's about zero chance of Disney deciding to sink any serious money into a space sim project.

Tie Fighter was one of my favourite games and was one of the reasons I backed Star Citizen.

19. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 09:45 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 09:32:
Pricing aside, the MUCH scarier part to me is that I can not really see a way how they are ever going to create gameplay systems for a ship of this type. Seriously. What are people supposed to do with a research ship? What will there be to really "research"?
It does remain to be seen how enjoyable and fleshed out the non-combat roles will be. Personally I'm sceptical, even though they seem to be putting a lot of thought into it. It's the same with the Starliner Genesis, which is a passenger ship - they detailed various game mechanics and ideas but it still seems like something that wouldn't be very fun. On the other hand the mining profession seems quite interesting and could be fun - it seems relatively straight-forward and easy to implement.

As for the price, I'm glad that there are people out there willing to spend that much on a ship because I'm certainly not. One has to remember that these ships will all be available in-game without any real world monetary cost. As such I'm happy that people with large amounts of disposable income are subsidising the game for those of us without.

6582 Comments. 330 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo