Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6577 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access
146. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 15, 2015, 22:15 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 16:25:
I would rather have had that extra $5M be spent on developing 20 or 30 extra systems for the persistent universe than on name actors. Or extending the story another 20 or 30 missions. Or a bunch of extra ships and weapons. Or some extra gameplay mechanics. It's a GAME after all, not a movie.
The thing is the higher calibre cast will probably pay for itself in extra exposure for the game, so it's not a simply equation as you claim. If spending an extra $5m on talent brings in an extra $10m from backers then it's a sensible investment. More importantly, the game promised A-list actors as an early stretch goal.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 14:40:
Is it okay to mention this?
To be honest I'd rather avoid hearing about Derek Smart altogether, even if the information only supports what I already knew about him. But I respect you for at least trying.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 18:29:
Yeah. I thought so too. I was familiar with the battle between Derek and the Usenet forums, but I wasn't aware of all the details. What Bill helped me understand in his summary are the apparent double standards. For example I think it's very unfair to criticize CIG for taking 4-5 years to develop Star Citizen (a game with much greater level of complexity) and yet his game took 8 years to the point Take2 forced a release. Craziness
For me the delays we've seen for Star Citizen are disappointing but I'm only concerned about the end product. As the CitizenCon intro highlighted they only had 40 staff when they released the hangar module, which is a fraction of what most developers working on a AAA title have. It took a further year to build up to 150 staff and only this year did they break 200. Considering the scale of the project it's not surprising that they fell behind, especially when the fidelity of the project increased due to the success of the project. What I will say is that CIG needs to deliver a LOT over the next year, especially as the infrastructure is now in place. And it needs to prioritise playable content, which has so far been underwhelming.

PS - CIG has uploaded an enhanced version of the CitizenCon presentation at 60fps, which I highly recommend people check out. I tried watching the previous version from the stream but that was very poor quality.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

126. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 15, 2015, 07:44 theyarecomingforyou

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 21:26:
Well said, but there is still no excuse for the pants you wore at culticon.
You mean furry neon trousers aren't your thing?

Here are a few other pics of me with Chris, Erin, Sandi and Allie. There's one of me with Dave Haddock somewhere, just can't find it at the moment. Ignore my gormless smile.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 21:59:
However in the interest of helping to bring peace to these forums I'd like to formally apologize for the ridiculous estimate I made earlier.
Thank you. I think we've both got carried away over this and there is some common ground because we both have legitimate concerns about the game and its development.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 21:59:
I've made repeated comments in the past that I do not dislike the game or hate it. I actually hope the game comes out. I'm not a troll, I'm a critic. A "Black Knight" critic. There's a huge difference between my level of criticism and Derek Smart's. We do not share the same ideology. As gamers, you and I, both want the same thing. We both want Star Citizen to succeed and be released. I just have a different perspective than you.
I don't have any tolerance for Derek Smart's absurd allegations. Most of his claims are demonstrably false or impossible to substantiate. There are plenty of legitimate concerns that can be brought up without referencing him and his trolling campaign. I think you'd do better to avoid mentioning him at all.

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 03:33:
Right, as an admiral, I assume we'll see him in some briefings and communications, not walking around the Stanton like most of the other characters. I'd be surprised if he had to work more than a couple of weeks.
This. Most of the characters you interact with will be lesser known actors with more screen time. The A-list actors are usually more prominent and critical to the narrative but have less actual scenes.

105. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 14, 2015, 21:08 theyarecomingforyou

Cutter wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 17:24:
Rockstar doesn't wast bank on big name actors. The guys doing their games - main parts - get 150k for several months work and they're doing a bit better than OK. CIG has wasted at least 10 mil on this, at least. And that's why no one in the industry who knows Roberts and his track record would give him dime one from the start.
So? Chris Roberts has a history of using Hollywood actors and it was an early pledge goal. It's literally what backers want. There's plenty to criticise about the game but you can't criticise Chris Roberts for providing what backers want, which is a top-level cast. That's like criticising the game for not being on console where it could make more money when it was specifically sold as a PC game. That's without even pointing out that a quality cast can increase interest in a game, just like a quality licenced soundtrack can help a game like GTA.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 20:00:
Yeah I think your numbers are definitely closer than mine. Thanks for sharing your numbers instead of ripping me to shreds.
When you make retarded estimates, like claiming that $37m is a 'conservative estimate', then prepare to be ripped to shreds. You've done nothing but troll the game and I find it amusing that you don't like being criticised when you're obviously wrong.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 20:11:
Okay, now you're just being vindictive and acrimonious. I wrote "I've decided to try and be factual as much as possible" and "The bottom line is that I am a Black Knight critic of CIG but I'm not a "Legion Of Derek™" supporter as you claim me to be. Being a critic of CIG isn't mutually exclusive to wanting to see them fail. Far from it. I want them to succeed. I think if they succeed it will be wonderful for many reasons. It's absolutely healthy for CIG to have critics.
You're not a critic, you're a troll. You attack the game relentlessly, repeating baseless claims and pulling bullshit numbers out of your ass. You have absolutely no interest in the game succeeding, only in parroting the outrageous propaganda of the Legion Of Derek™. If you were 'trying to be factual' then you wouldn't be claiming that the acting budget was more than many Hollywood films in their entirety.

You know the money Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? It starred Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, John Hurt and Benedict Cumberbatch to name a few. That's a pretty impressive cast. The budget? A measly $21m - that's not just the cast budget, that's what the entire film cost to make. Yet your zealotry made you think that $37m was a perfectly reasonable 'conservative estimate'. You talk nothing but shit and I WILL call you out on it, even if it hurts your feelings.

If you want me to believe you're a reasonable person then you have to demonstrate that. To start you should apologise for the ridiculous estimate you made earlier and acknowledge you pulled it out your ass because of your dislike of the game. People make mistakes but they can be corrected. For my part I'll apologise for my hyperbolic attacks against you - I can obviously take things too far and I'm not oblivious to my own personality defects.

63. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 14, 2015, 14:34 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 14:03:
These estimates are way off. I researched most of these people over the weekend.

Oldman gets paid $2-10M per film. Assume his role is limited in SC and he made $2M (although he probably only worked for 2 weeks and made half that)
Hamill is hardly an A-lister. $500K
Mark Strong is a character actor that typically makes between $500K and $1M per film. Let's assume $1M
Anderson only makes $100K per episode of Hannibal and The Fall. Assume she made $500K here.
Serkis was paid $5M for Dawn of the Apes, but that isn't his typical salary. He was in the drivers seat for a movie everyone knew would make $700M. His typical salary is $1M per film.

So for your top 5, that would be $5M. The estimates I've seen have put the cost for these actors between $8-11M. So $5M for the top people, and another 3-6M for everyone else. Of the bottom half of the list, only Mendelsohn is in demand enough right now to probably get $1M. Cunningham and Davies probably get $5K, and everyone else is between $2-4K.
Exactly. The entire budget of Chappie - which starred Hugh Jackman and Sigourney Weaver - was $49m, yet we're expected to believe that CIG spent nearly $40m just on actors? That's patently absurd.

The concerning thing is that I think Kxmode actually believes the bullshit he pedals. Unfortunately it's what you have to expect from Legion Of Derek™ zealots, who have demonstrated utter contempt for evidence and reason. They state conjecture and speculation as fact and then act outraged when anybody dares question them. It would be funny if it didn't raise serious questions about their mental competence.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Extended One Day
53. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta Extended One Day Oct 13, 2015, 08:12 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 03:38:
Nuhauser wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 19:05:
Is complaining about not being able to choose a server or see your ping not allowed anymore? That's what I find unforgivable in this otherwise fun game. I don't like when my avatar freezes for 3 seconds and then dies. I also find it annoying when I hit someone 10 times and they hit me twice and I die. Sure, it's great when it's the other way around. Taking out 3 people in a row who can't even see me because of the difference in our ping has nothing to do with my skill though, and just makes the game feel cheap. Give me a server browser so I can select based on ping and I might buy. As it is, it just seems like a random "fish in a barrel" simulator half the time.

No server browser? Not even a PING counter? How the fuck can they get away with this shit???!!! Fuck EA a million times. May they be impaled on a giant Reaper cock and suffer a million years. Needless to say, even after Slick's very slick and attractive few positive posts, Im not touching this with a 10 foot pole.
This isn't aimed at gamers, it's aimed at the casual audience. This isn't meant to be competing with Battlefield 4. When you consider it for what it is it's pretty decent, especially for an EA game.

It's astonishing how jaded some of the people around here are.

News Comments > Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed
230. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 13, 2015, 06:46 theyarecomingforyou

The Escapist cannot be trusted as a source. It has used anonymous comments from Glassdoor before in relation to Carbine Studios and which were refuted by employees of the company.

Kxmode wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 21:18:
Check this out!

Escapist article: CS7 indicated that Cloud Imperium Games Montreal entered into a joint venture partnership with Turbulent to continue to develop and sell the crowdfunding platform that was built for Star Citizen to other companies - and that backer money was being used for this project.

They didn't even bother hiding this. It's all out there.

October 7, 2014 – Marc Beaudet (CEO of Turbulent) writes “We thank Cloud Imperium Games for taking a risk with us and for contributing conceptually and commercially to making HEAP C3MS fantastic for content monetization.”

April 7th, 2014 – TURBULENT’s HEAP C3MS platform was recently selected by Behaviour Interactive for the development of their Warhammer 40,000 Eternal Crusade Pre-order Founders Program store and their new website which will be unveiled next spring during E3.

So the Backers basically gave CIG money to develop a game, who then funded the development of a crowdfunding/preorder platform with Turbulent (Star Citizen’s webmasters) that Behaviour (also working on Star Citizen) then took and used for Warhammer 40,000 Eternal Crusade; another game that's not Star Citizen or Star Citizen related.
We don't know the terms. For instance, Turbulent may have developed it for a lower price on the basis that they could licence it to other developers - that would BENEFIT backers. Even if that wasn't the case, backers funded a system needed for the game. It really doesn't matter who else it was licenced to as it was something CIG needed. I see the Legion Of Derek™ is getting pretty desperate. You haven't demonstrate harm to backers.

Hire a hooker and stop taking out your sexual frustration on Star Citizen.

163. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 14:54 theyarecomingforyou

The modules were worked on individually in order to speed up development, so that content would be playable as it became ready. That was why Star Marine was branched, though the serious delays made that a bad decision in hindsight. Now they're looking to merge them into SC2.0, which is the basis for both the game and the PU. Arena Commander, Star Marine and the Social Module will becomes sub-components rather than standalone entities.

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 13:37:
We could be MUCH further along if Christ Roberts would have kept the scope in check and if the development of the game would have been done the "right" away around by first building all the "boring" backend stuff, the netcode etc.
It probably also would have helped to get some serious consulting expertise on the choice of the engine. I have a feeling that UE4 or building their own engine would have been a much better choice.
That's exactly what CIG has been doing, building the backend systems. That includes 64-bit precision required for large world maps, DX12 for drawcalls and multithreading, the netcode and grid system for the PU, the modular ship and component systems, the building style and components, etc.

As for choice of engine, UE4 is no more equipped for the game that CryEngine - in fact it's more geared towards console development. Building their own engine would have taken significantly longer and wasn't an option because they didn't know how much money was going to be raised.

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 13:37:
In essence the project has so far suffered from focusing on promotional material and to keep the ship sales rolling instead of actual gameplay delivery.
If you look at Christ Roberts' long overdue (at the time) explanation in May why Star Marine was two months late (again: at the time) you will find that one of the major reasons he gave was that they finally realized that it might make sense to first develop the backbone, you know, the architecture that will hold all these modules together one day (hopefully).

That's like the most backwards development ever. They should have laid the groundwork at the start of the project, of course, and not two and a half years in.
There are HUGE risks now if it turns out that connecting Arena Commander, the FPS, the social module etc. requires major reworks of these modules that would not have been necessary if all the groundwork would have been done in the first place.

Finally, just look at the monthly reports. I get that marketing is important but CIG is constantly in crunch mode for "reveals" either at PAX East, E3, Gamescom, CitizenCon or PAX AU.

One of the most common complaints by developers working under a publisher that you will find when a project does not live up to expectations is that the developer will blame the publisher's demands for demos and promo material.
The demos aren't just for presentations. If you look at the SC2.0 demo which was shown off at Gamescom and CitizenCon it's a core part of the game that will be released to players soon. Any crunch needed for those presentations only benefits the game as a whole. Unlike a traditional publisher they can't just show a trailer at E3 and then work on the game for another year or two - the content gets released to backers. You mention racing and that's a great example as it was built to test the handling of ships and they decided to polish it up and reveal it at Gamescom in August 2014, with it released a month later; at Gamescom earlier this year they did the same thing with the Social Module and it was released the same month. All the pressure those reveals put on them advances development of the game rather than slowing it down.

135. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 10:58 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 09:18:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 07:52:
Kosumo wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 06:44:
Any chance of a rundown/review of you Citizencon theyarecomingforyou?

Sure thing. Here's some pictures I took, including a couple of me with Chris Roberts. A friend took some pictures of me with Erin Roberts, Sandi Gardiner and Dave Haddock, which I hope to get soon.

Dude, we might not see eye to eye where Star Citizen is concerned but I gotta hand it to you... Those pants man! You need some serious stones to pull off a look like that. Kudos!
Hehe, cheers man. The three-inch platforms were an extra touch. I'm a musician and am used to performing on stage, so I don't have any problem with a bit of attention.

113. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 07:52 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 06:44:
Any chance of a rundown/review of you Citizencon theyarecomingforyou?

Sure thing. Here's some pictures I took, including a couple of me with Chris Roberts. A friend took some pictures of me with Erin Roberts, Sandi Gardiner and Dave Haddock, which I hope to get soon.

Presentation

The presentation was much better than Gamescom or any of the earlier presentations. I was underwhelmed by the PU demo as it was very similar to the one from Gamescom - however, given that it should be playable soon that's fine. Speaking to Erin and Chris they said SC2.0 is definitely going to be this year and sooner than we think, though that latter statement has been used too often to have any meaning.

Squadron 42

The S42 cinematic was fine but didn't blow me away. Apparently the hair tech is being worked on and they will be increasing the fidelity, so it's not final by any means. The Morrow tour was much more impressive and the livestream video doesn't do it justice. The game was running silky smooth and the fidelity of the Idris was stunning. There were quite a few bugs but that's just a reminder that the footage is real and actively being worked on.

Contextual System

Speaking to Erin we're going to see the Use button disappear and be replaced by a contextual system. He compared it to Sherlock Holmes whereby looking at an item will highlight whether it can be interacted with. The interaction system, which was shown with the floating text above the character, will be time sensitive meaning that other characters won't stand there waiting indefinitely. If you break eye contact with characters they will respond accordingly. For instance, a bartender might get annoyed if you walk away and next time won't be as quick to serve you.

Referral System

The referral system seems a bit crass but given that the game doesn't have a traditional marketing campaign it makes sense and will be an effective way to grow the player base. The player count has already increased substantially and should hit one million soon.

Starmap

The Starmap was very impressive and being released at the same time was a nice touch. It gives a bit of extra insight into how the universe will work. Going back to my discussion with Erin, CIG won't reveal all the additions made in patches meaning that star systems and other content will be added without warning. That means players will always be motivated to explore the universe.

Cast

The cast reveal was great and there really is a lot of talent - major Hollywood actors, a couple of cast members from Games Of Thrones, etc. They're not just big names but they're extremely talented. Speaking to Sandi the game will be appearing on the front of a couple of magazines next month, including PC Gamer. One of these will be an indepth interview with Mark Hamill and give information about his role in the game.

Hardware

The Saitek hardware looks really good in person. Really interested to see how it develops.

Summary

Overall it was a very good presentation. It won't silence the critics but it's a lot harder to claim now that substantial progress isn't being made. The priority now is for them to get SC2.0 out there and in the hands of backers, as that's when the game itself starts to take shape. They also need to add content at a much greater rate, which should be possible now that the development branches have been unified. What's also interesting is that they showed the number of staff at each point in development, which undermines claims that they're running out of money - when the hangar launched they only had 40 staff, they had just 140 last year and only expanded to 200+ staff this year.

PS - On a personal note the people I met at CitizenCon were wonderful people. I went not knowing anybody and now I have made some great new friends. The people I spoke to were extremely reasonable - they had their concerns about the game, they had their own ideas about how to improve it and they were open to differing opinions. They weren't blind zealots like many here would have you believe.

111. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 06:44 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 06:28:
A lot of good talking points there Krovven.

but do you not think they should have laid their marriage out there to start with to avoid all of this?

- No.

Well It think they should have, it would have been the open, transperant way to go about it. To not do it only make it look deceptive. (when it finial came out, why hide it?)

Why do you think they should not have?
It wasn't hidden, it just wasn't promoted. Heck, their children appeared on the original livestream back in 2012. She is a professional in her own right and doesn't want to simply be seen as Chris Roberts' wife, which is perfectly reasonable. The relationship between Travis Day and Chelsea wasn't discussed but it wasn't hidden either; Ben Lesnick is married to Alexis but while they have talked about their relationship it's rare and that's entirely up to them. People's personal lives are personal and the public has no right to pry.

Again, nobody has demonstrated how Sandi Gardiner is unfit for the job. People need to learn the difference between nepotism and cronyism. People go into business with family members all the time and there is no harm in that, nor is there any obligation to declare such a thing. She's been involved with the project since the very beginning and has seen it grow. When she started there was no job and no money - it was a gamble that paid off, one that few people would have made. The only people criticising her are the Legion Of Derek™ and the International Haters Collective™.

107. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 06:06 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 20:19:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 19:58:
As has been obvious all along, the haters aren't interested in legitimately criticising the game - they just want to attack it. No matter what you show them they'll find a way to complain about it.

One of the early stretch goals was to provide 'celebrity voice-acting', back at the $5m mark. That's exactly what they've done. Yet still the Legion Of Derek attacks, proclaiming it a waste of money. If you don't like the game then don't buy it but don't troll every topic about the game. I don't like fake tan or anal bleaching but I don't search out discussions about them to express my disdain, I simply ignore them.

The world would be a better place if everybody focused their energy on constructive endeavours rather than attacking those willing to take risks and innovate.

Watch this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rtOHkMeUVY (part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOvgsG3WCUI (part 2)

Then come back here and tell us you still believe everything you wrote above. And don't you dare respond until you fully watch both videos. That's the condition for further discussion.
I don't accept conditions from Legion Of Derek supporters. That video was just a rant from a self-obsessed internet personality - nearly as unwatchable as PewDiePie. Devoting so much time to your hatred of the game is not healthy.

As for the discussion about Sandi Gardiner, she has achieved unparalleled success in crowdsourcing. The fact that she's married to Chris Roberts is utterly irrelevant. For what it's worth I had a long chat with her at CitizenCon and she said she's been looking for somebody to take over for marketing for over a year but nobody has the experience, the passion and is willing to work for the given salary. Her salary comes from subscribers and not out of the game funds - she doesn't even have her own office and she's required to take on any role she can, including customer support. I don't think anyone could do a better job, certainly not for the same money - she has an incredible passion for the project.

Backers trusted Chris Roberts to make the game and to employ whoever he saw fit. Sandi Gardiner has done more than could have been expected and has more than proven herself. I haven't seen any evidence that she is unworthy of the position, making criticism unwarranted. The attacks against her are personal and simply trolling.

49. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 11, 2015, 19:58 theyarecomingforyou

As has been obvious all along, the haters aren't interested in legitimately criticising the game - they just want to attack it. No matter what you show them they'll find a way to complain about it.

One of the early stretch goals was to provide 'celebrity voice-acting', back at the $5m mark. That's exactly what they've done. Yet still the Legion Of Derek attacks, proclaiming it a waste of money. If you don't like the game then don't buy it but don't troll every topic about the game. I don't like fake tan or anal bleaching but I don't search out discussions about them to express my disdain, I simply ignore them.

The world would be a better place if everybody focused their energy on constructive endeavours rather than attacking those willing to take risks and innovate.

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
223. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 10, 2015, 04:44 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 04:25:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 10:52:
By sharing his demands you're endorsing them.

Go to the Reddit thread: "I thought this was an interesting take from DS on what he would do at CIG if in charge."
The fact you said his demands were 'interesting' rather than 'retarded' implies support and demonstrates your irrational hatred of the project.

News Comments > Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer
34. Re: Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer Oct 9, 2015, 12:37 theyarecomingforyou

This is a video from the third-party contractor working with CIG for facial animations: https://vimeo.com/122667590

As for the explosions, they look pretty awesome to me.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth - Rising Tide Rises
1. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth - Rising Tide Rises Oct 9, 2015, 12:31 theyarecomingforyou

Looks... underwhelming.  

221. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 9, 2015, 10:52 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 10:09:
You can just stop right there!

God damned, what the hell is wrong with you? Stop applying that to me as I am NOT the author of those words. They belong to Derek Smart.
Which only supports what I've said numerous times, which is that you're just parroting Derek Smart. By sharing his demands you're endorsing them.

If you think that Derek Smart is rational in his demands then there is no hope for you. Really I pity you. Your hatred of the game is extreme. Find something better to do with your life.

216. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 9, 2015, 06:46 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 23:35:
Here's what happens when I tried to open a reasonable dialog with White Knight backers about the course of the project. It had received more than a few responses before the extremely aggressive moderators deleted it, and before it had a chance to see any kind of lengthy discussion. How can anyone have a reasonable discussion with these people if they engage in censorship and name-calling? The top comment told me to go "Fuck Derek Smart in his goat-ass".
The reason you were criticised is because your post was ridiculous and shows complete contempt for everything that Star Citizen represents.

1) You called for Chris Roberts, Sandra Roberts and Ortwin Freyemuth to be fired immediately despite them being the main people responsible for the game. Backers supported the project because of Chris Roberts.
2) You called for them to be stripped of shares in the company, which is clearly motivated by a personal agenda.
3) You mention the FTC even though a request has shown that no action is currently pending.
4) You suggest they change netcode, despite them already having implemented their own netcode.
5) You call for core components of the game to be removed (Arena Commander, Star Marine, the PU, etc).
6) You call for the game to be ported to console.

In other words you want to take a game marketed as a PC title made by Chris Roberts and make it a console game without Chris Roberts. You complain about the game not being what was promised and yet want to do exactly that to it but on your terms. Your suggestions are utterly unreasonable.

I question why you even backed the game given your contempt for everything it represents. You're just parroting Derek Smart's deranged rantings.

News Comments > Bethesda's BattleCry "Concerns"
13. Re: Bethesda's BattleCry Oct 8, 2015, 13:12 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 11:45:
Just watched the trailer. Completely forgotten this existed. Perhaps that's got something to do with it? Also, it looks awful.
I too had forgotten about this title. When I checked out the trailer on YouTube I discovered I'd already downvoted it, as had most other people.

Given how unpopular the reaction to it has been I'm not surprised they're looking to cancel it (which is clearly what they're saying when you cut through the PR bullshit). Personally I say good riddance. Bethesda does not want to be associated with this.

201. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 7, 2015, 11:52 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 01:44:
He is concerned. He's a big defender, but he's not blind. This CitCon is a bit make or break for him, IIRC. I was right there with him until the social module launched.
Exactly. I have expressed my serious concerns on so many occasions. I'm not blind to the issues affecting this game and its development. As for the social module, I think it's terrible as it stands - the performance is appalling and functionality-wise it's rudimentary at best. That said, that doesn't diminish my confidence in the project overall. The hangar and Arena Commander both run at 60fps and they haven't implemented a lot of the performance features, such as DX12. However, they need to expand its functionality and do so quickly. With the SocMod they've at least committed to several major releases this year, including a new planetside location. Whether they deliver is another matter.

I'll be at CitCon this Saturday and they really need to deliver. Squadron 42 has been kept behind closed doors and it cannot underwhelm. They also need to show substantial progress elsewhere, to show what they've been working on for this past year.

196. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 6, 2015, 16:31 theyarecomingforyou

Bub wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 09:18:
I think CR knows there is no market these days for deep, complex space game.
Yeah, which is why Star Citizen has raised nearly $100m. Rolleyes

But seriously, did you actually bring up Freespace Open in a topic about Star Citizen? At least Elite: Dangerous is in the same ballpark; Freespace Open looks like it's from the 90s... because it is.

6577 Comments. 329 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo