Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6574 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
39. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 18, 2016, 05:42 theyarecomingforyou

Flatline wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 22:28:
I never got the game to run in any of it's variants beyond that chat hub thing they released and the hangar. 1 frame per minute performance as soon as arena commander booted up. I don't know if it's working any better or not now because frankly, if I update and agree to the TOS, I give up a lot of rights and I refuse to do that. But from my research I think you needed to run the game off of a SSD and I really don't feel like doing that.
In the hangar and Arena Commander you can get 60fps, with drops during intense content. In the Persistent Universe the game maxes out at about 40fps because of server limitations, with performance ranging from 10-30fps depending on which server you're in. The game is really enjoyable when you get on a fresh server but those expecting a finished game are better off waiting a bit longer, as the game is clearly still in alpha.

Flatline wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 22:28:
And how many times are they going to rewrite the netcode? They've been "rewriting" it for years now. I'm aware of at least 2-3 big delays while they "rewrote the netcode".
They rewrote the netcode to get Arena Commander up and running and they're doing it against now that persistence has been implemented, as the sheer complexity of the game is beyond what the CryEngine netcode was ever intended for. Given that SC is a MMO the netcode will need to be continually reworked between now and release, so it's an ongoing process. Even games that have been commercially released have had major netcode patches subsequent to release, so this isn't something specific to CIG. Given that the game has to be playable throughout development there will be countless reworks of major systems as new engine functionality and gameplay systems come online.

Kosumo wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 04:59:
In your "In short" you did not list gameplay, what's the gameplay and what is it's quality like? Has it improved, does it show signs of improving?
The gameplay consists mostly of exploring and combat. The recent patch added in persistence, meaning you can now buy armour, weapons, clothing, etc. There is a mission system in place, allowing you to complete tasks for credits. There is a criminal system, meaning people who break the law (killing other players in regulated space) earn a bounty and once it is too high all players will be altered to them and be tasked with killing them - bounties can be removed by hacking a space station. The multi-crew ships are great fun to play on, with players able to man turrets or configure power balance, etc. There's also FPS combat, with weapons available at one of the space stations - it's quite clunky at the moment but the next couple of patches are meant to address a lot of the issues.

Given the performance issues it has to be said that right now it isn't very fun or playable - hitting 60fps in the PU isn't possible, even if you have a GTX 1080 or two, because of server limitations. Performance has actually decreased with the introduction of persistence and won't improve for a patch or two at least. When you get on a recently restarted server you get much better performance and can definitely sense the potential, especially when you're with a group of friends of TeamSpeak. I've had a lot of fun with the game already. The potential is certainly there but anyone on the fence should hold off.

The next patch (2.5) adds GRIM Hex, a pirate station. That will give some variety but anyone wanting a better idea of what the game will be like is best waiting until 2.7 when they introduce procedural planets. CIG should be releasing some videos in the next month or so, as Gamescom is around the corner. This was an early glimpse from last year.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 17, 2016, 14:36 theyarecomingforyou

Sho wrote on Jul 16, 2016, 16:26:
If we can dispense with the usual hyperbole, I'd be curious to hear a dispassionate take from someone who's actively following and playing it. How has it been doing lately?
Right now the game isn't great. Arena Commander performs well and has a decent selection of ships but the Persistent Universe has serious server related performance issues and the gameplay is rather limited at the moment. However, that's to be expected from an alpha game. Optimisation comes much later into developer, we don't even have DX12 support yet and the netcode rework will address a lot of the current issues. The big release will be 2.7 later this year, which includes procedural generation and will see the scope of the universe expand significantly.

As for S42, the singleplayer component. CIG has been keeping that largely under wraps to avoid spoilers. I doubt very much they'll release it this year as they have claimed but we will at least see some serious progress revealed this year. There is due to be a big event at Gamescom next month and CitizenCon is in September, where big reveals usually materialise.

Mordhaus wrote on Jul 16, 2016, 20:21:
It will most likely end up like Freelancer. Roberts will sell what they have managed to complete to a larger studio and then ride off into the sunset for another couple of years, until he decides to make another movie or game. He is certainly a visionary, but without someone to check him, he simply can't set a finished idea and complete a project. When he was at Origin, he didn't have complete control.
Freelancer was a mess, we know that. However, CIG has a lot more resources, a lot more talent and incredible financial backing from players. We haven't seen any evidence that the game is short of funding or on the verge of collapse - in fact everything points to the contrary. Even if they release the game and it's great they'll never satisfy the critics, as the goalposts will simply be moved - you'll just criticise it for something else.

At the end of the day CIG is developing a game and people were aware of the risks of backing. CIG has been providing regular free fly weekends so that people can judge the game for themselves and decide whether it is worth buying or simply just check on the progress. If you don't like the game that's fair enough but at least they're putting it out there for people to decide for themselves. How many PC games get demos these days?

News Comments > F1 2016 Announced
1. Re: F1 2016 Announced May 28, 2016, 06:10 theyarecomingforyou

This franchise is dying. I was a huge fan in the beginning but it hasn't just stagnated, it's actually gone backwards. Look at the Steam user reviews for F1 2015 - 60% are negative. Developing on a yearly cycle just isn't conducive to good games.  

News Comments > DOOM Trailers
12. Re: DOOM Trailers May 12, 2016, 02:40 theyarecomingforyou

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 11, 2016, 23:35:
SirKnight wrote on May 11, 2016, 22:54:

Remember too, cdkeys.com has it for $35.

Wtf, that's damn cheap for pre-release. How reliable/sketchy is cdkeys.com?

Aka, are they trying to outdo G2A in their shadiness?

cdkeys.com isn't even listed on isthereanydeal.com, come on now.

Hrm, they also want a cell phone number to send a code to.
I've used them numerous times before and never had an issue. The site has a very high rating on Trustpilot. At that price I decided to grab it, as the gameplay videos looks awesome and I had a blast with the beta.

News Comments > Civilization VI Announced
24. Re: Civilization VI Announced May 11, 2016, 17:07 theyarecomingforyou

Quboid wrote on May 11, 2016, 15:21:
I've enjoyed each Civ more than the previous one. I like how 1UPT makes combat feel more tactical and less about who had the biggest number on their stack of doom. This sort of complexity adds more than per-city happiness, which is just busy-work IMHO.
This. Lots of people criticise each new version before eventually embracing it whereas I simply accept them for what they are - a new iteration. For me Civ5, even vanilla, was a great game and after playing it I couldn't go back. I even enjoyed CivBE. I have no doubt that Civ6 will also be an amazing game.

Steam shows that I put over 500hrs into Civ5, which really is a testament to its replayability. There were so many changes that made the experience unique, whilst still familiar. Getting rid of stacked units was a major improvement, as was the hex grids and better defensibility of cities (i.e. ability to attack and not be taken by a random unit).

I am happy with all of the features listed here.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
13. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 7, 2016, 10:44 theyarecomingforyou

I've been waiting for these to be announced. I've already got someone lined up to buy my GTX 970s off me, so I'll probably pick up a couple of the GTX 1070s for SLI. I've been itching to upgrade for a while.  

News Comments > DOOM PC Support Details
22. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 23, 2016, 12:49 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Apr 23, 2016, 06:08:
Compared to Quake's speed, DOOM feels like Halo. Doom also has a two-weapon limit, which I believe Halo introduced and made standard. Any multiplayer game by id will be judged by Quake standards and DOOM doesn't measure up.
Why would DOOM be measured against Quake? They're different games. Quake was always faster paced. DOOM has faster movement that Doom 3 multiplayer did, which is the reference for comparison. As for weapon limits, that's aimed at balance and pace - spawning with weapons instead of having to pick them up makes it more accessible and leads to less griefing.

id Software had to redefine the multiplayer as Doom 3 had crap multiplayer and Doom I and II were from a completely different era (they didn't even have mouse look). Personally I like what id Software has done with the game and after RAGE I had precisely zero interest in anything from them again.

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Week
63. Re: Star Citizen Free Week Apr 23, 2016, 03:22 theyarecomingforyou

Flatline wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 18:52:
Not to particularly pick a fight or anything, but now that S42 is an episodic single player game, do you think it's going to rake cash in like never before? I mean, consoles are out, and single player games are not as hot as hot multiplayer games.
The game isn't episodic, it's a trilogy. Plus the appeal is that there's nothing else like it. How many times have we heard that singleplayer games are dead only to have a singleplayer game own the market (look at Fallout 4).

Flatline wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 18:52:
Plus, how many backers do they have now? Those are all people who are going to get the game and not actually have to pay for it. They've already front-loaded their revenue from S42 and burned through it a long time ago.
The game has 1.3 million backers, so there's massive scope for further sales. Further, the development costs are the money raised so far - anything further allows the continued development of the game. There's also no evidence they they 'burned through' all the money. In fact they have continued to expand, which is not the sign of a company in financial difficulties. They're pulling in $2m a month and there hasn't been a huge amount of visible progress recently.

News Comments > DOOM PC Support Details
12. Re: DOOM PC Support Details Apr 23, 2016, 03:13 theyarecomingforyou

Considering I don't really care for twitch shooters any more I actually really enjoyed the beta. id Software had to bring the game into the modern era, which is what they did. If the singleplayer is at all replayable then I think the game will do well. It's just a shame it doesn't have co-op.  

60. Re: Star Citizen Free Week Apr 19, 2016, 15:02 theyarecomingforyou

Wolfox wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 17:30:
It seems your faith is waning, though you still try to be optimistic. I'd say that's fair. I'm curious myself to see in what state Star Citizen will be by the end of the year, and for the record, I hope it meets your expectations then.
I'm still confident it will be a good game, I'm just not confident it can be delivered in the timeframe they are claiming. I've always been critical of some aspects of the game. For instance, I don't like the way CIG has prioritised ship development whilst other playable content has taken a back seat.

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 17:56:
But as you said, what was 'PROMISED' and what they are doing are two ENTIRELY different things.

Deliver on what you promised 1st, then add goodies 2nd. But there are things they have done that are just fucking mind boggling like building a motion capture studio.
At the end of the day it wasn't about making a game, it was about financing Chris Roberts to make a STUDIO that is going to make a game which is a huge difference.
One of the reason's I requested a refund (only in for 50 to get both S42 and SC) is because the more I watch the more I get angry. I payed for development of the game. Not posters, not display models and cases, not t-shirts, not costumes and name tags and jewelry for the dev team. I paid for a GAME.
I understand your argument, it's just not that simple. The additional funding is going to making a better game - it couldn't simply be added in a patch or expansion. All the merchandise is being handled by the community team, which is funded by subscriptions - it's not coming out of the game funds

Mordhaus wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 19:55:
I won't go into another long diatribe. All I will say is this, RSI has repeatedly denied that they are in a financial crisis, now they have done little but release new purchasable ships (or made available again ones that were supposed to be limited edition) and have multiple free week trials.

This smacks of a company that is running out of funds, not even whales can keep defending RSI for much longer.
They're pulling in $2m a month, combined with money from other deals and tax breaks. For instance, CIG recently appeared in an advert for Time Warner cable and they did a major promotion with AMD. Not to mention the huge amount of money that will come when S42 is released. CIG is taking on more staff all the time, which is not the sign of a company with major financial difficulties.

I get that a lot of people resent popular projects and want to see this project fail but I don't understand why. If it fails it fails but if it doesn't then we end up with a great game. Nobody should be buying this game now unless they're willing to accept the risk that it might fail. I backed from the beginning and have been very happy with the progress - it's been slow, without a doubt, but the game is going far beyond what was originally promised.

It's one thing to say the game is overly ambitious and point out that nearly every release date provided has been missed; it's another to claim the project is an outright scam, as some of the trolls around here do.

37. Re: Star Citizen Free Week Apr 18, 2016, 17:15 theyarecomingforyou

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 16:58:
Wasn't the game suppose to be done by now so people could play it whenever they wanted?
Absolutely, but at a much lower fidelity level and scale. Go back and watch the original trailer, then look at it now. The funding increased massively and it's far better that CIG invested that in the game than simply pocket it as profit.

35. Re: Star Citizen Free Week Apr 18, 2016, 17:01 theyarecomingforyou

I think Comet summed it up well. Nobody disputes that the game is significantly behind schedule but then the scope of the game has massively, massively increased. The procedural tech they showed off recently is way beyond what was originally promised. I can understand why people are frustrated but at the end of the day what matters to me is the end game, not how long it takes. Go back and look at that original video then look at what is already playable and it's amazing.

That said, I very much doubt CIG will ship S42 this year and I've been disappointed with the pace of development for the PU. By the end of this year we'll know the true picture of development.

19. Re: Star Citizen Free Week Apr 18, 2016, 14:14 theyarecomingforyou

Of the first thirteen posts, five are Kxmode trolling. I mean, how dare CIG let people play the game for free to decide for themselves whether it's worth buying! Scandalous!  

News Comments > Star Citizen EVA Video
39. Re: Star Citizen EVA Video Apr 12, 2016, 05:40 theyarecomingforyou

jdreyer wrote on Apr 11, 2016, 02:53:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 10, 2016, 05:09:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 20:32:
Meh, that's probably the wrong term for it. 2.3 plays nicely, even if it's only one environment. They'll just never make it a "universe" of 100 systems before they run out of money. There's a reason E:D and NMS went procedural.
Star Citizen combines procedural with artist driven design. There's a video here demonstrating that. The planets themselves will be procedural, with landing zones created by hand from a pool of assets. It means that once they have the assets created (shops, textures, materials, etc) they can quickly ramp up the number of planets. Don't forget that SC isn't due out this year, only S42 is - the full game won't be until at least last 2017, more likely beyond that.

Yes, the planets will be procedural, but all the locations are hand-built. A couple dozen locations per system, times 100 systems is thousands of hand crafted locations. I love it in theory, but that's insane in practice.

In NMS everything is procedural. So they just need to concentrate on improving those procedural engines. Ditto for Limit Theory.

And while E:D is a combination of hand made and procedural,
A) their game is small subset of what SC is trying to accomplish
B) their systems are entirely procedural, unlike SC. So you'll never see something like the spectacular Broken Moon on the one hand, on the other hand they didn't have to spend months building it.

The point is they're taking an extremely labor-intensive approach.
They've stated that they're working on procedural tech for more than just planets. It would be very easy to build out stores in varied layouts using procedural tech, then just build out the specifics of each area. Don't get me wrong though, as I don't see any way they're going to get out 100 star systems and landing zones by the end of next year. I think the dates will slide but I do think they'll get there.

Where CIG puts out content it has easily exceeds the scope and fidelity of what was originally promised. The issue is it takes a long time. For me my main concern is the end product, not the development time. As I've said before, by the end of the year we'll have a good idea of what's happening with the project - S42 is due out and there needs to be substantial progress in the PU. So far this year I've been underwhelmed by the amount of progress made, with persistence and additional landing zones taking far too long. The game has to progress much more rapidly by the end of the year if there is any hope of it releasing in a sensible time frame.

32. Re: Star Citizen EVA Video Apr 10, 2016, 10:56 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2016, 05:37:
Oh look. It's theyarearecomingforyou; our resident Star Citizen apologist and White Knight. Tell us all about Star Citizen's awesome fidelitah and wonderful immershun.
I make comments about the topic at hand; you trash the game and insult others. You have zero interest in a sincere discussion, whereas I am perfectly open to discussing the project's shortcomings and frequently criticise aspects of the game. You frequently lie and make unsubstantiated claims, taking offence at the notion that anyone could like the game.

If you want to continue behaving like a child then I can't stop that but if you want a genuine discussion then let's do that. You haven't shown any attempt at being reasonable.

This topic is about SC's EVA system. Care to actually contribute to that discussion?

25. Re: Star Citizen EVA Video Apr 10, 2016, 05:09 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 18:44:
Why is it that the player model can not walk on the underside of the platform - what makes the top side so special?
Artificial gravity. It's present in ships and platforms but obviously not on the underside of unused areas. I believe they're looking at a magnetic boots style system for other areas but it's not confirmed as far as I'm aware.

The model itself is super stiff as fuck and the ragdoll having no 'life' to it.
It's still very much work in progress. They've been iterating on this repeatedly over the last few months, with noticeable changes between PTU builds. The initial release was so bad they had to revert back to the previous system - now it's really enjoyable. This is nowhere near final.

Can someone tell me what they see in it because I'm not seeing anything impressive.
There's never been any game made on this scale with this level of freedom. The work they've done on zero-g animations is impressive and nowhere near completion. The procedural planet tech is progressing rapidly. Multi-crew ships where players can move around freely has never been done before. The game is breaking major new ground technologically. Every time I try out the game it's improved from where it was before. Don't get me wrong though, as there's a huge amount of development still left and the game is in its infancy.

Kxmode wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 20:13:
Vaporware
Troll.

jdreyer wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 20:32:
Meh, that's probably the wrong term for it. 2.3 plays nicely, even if it's only one environment. They'll just never make it a "universe" of 100 systems before they run out of money. There's a reason E:D and NMS went procedural.
Star Citizen combines procedural with artist driven design. There's a video here demonstrating that. The planets themselves will be procedural, with landing zones created by hand from a pool of assets. It means that once they have the assets created (shops, textures, materials, etc) they can quickly ramp up the number of planets. Don't forget that SC isn't due out this year, only S42 is - the full game won't be until at least last 2017, more likely beyond that.

Frijoles wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 22:46:
Meh, wasn't Shattered Horizon doing this a half a decade ago?
No. The whole point of the video is the animations and transitions, with the combined animations of first-person and third-person. Anyone can make a zero-g game where you simply float about.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2016, 15:25 theyarecomingforyou

Alonso was incredibly lucky to walk out of that unscathed.

On a side note, I can't believe how bad the commentary is for F1 in the US. It's embarrassing. It consists almost entirely of long pauses and painfully obvious statements - the amount of dead air is bizarre.

15. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Mar 14, 2016, 05:03 theyarecomingforyou

Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 13, 2016, 12:46:
Hmmm, drumming up new business, eh? I wonder if these weekends are actually expanding the base. It seems to me that anyone interested in space games either is already on board or doesn't trust CR at all. Not sure what this will accomplish...
The answer is yes. They're now up to 1.3m backers, up 300,000 from five months ago. Considering the game is a long way from complete that's pretty impressive.

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider DirectX 12 Patch
8. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider DirectX 12 Patch Mar 12, 2016, 03:19 theyarecomingforyou

GarthZombie wrote on Mar 12, 2016, 01:46:
Oh cool you can actually respond like your head isn't made of a bag of shit, impressive.
You made a bullshit claim and got put in your place. Making comments like that only serves to draw more attention to your original ignorant post.

You've only made 11 posts and most of them are bitter attacks.

News Comments > HTC Vive in April for $799
15. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 14:41 theyarecomingforyou

It's worth pointing out that the controllers are included with this, whereas they're not with the Oculus Rift (aside from the XB1 controller). When that's factored in they're both very similar in price.  

6574 Comments. 329 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo