Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Jonas Taylor

Real Name Jonas Taylor   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theyarecomingforyou
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 8, 2005, 11:25
Total Comments 6856 (Guru)
User ID 22891

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Launch Trailer

25. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Launch Trailer Dec 10, 2019, 06:31 theyarecomingforyou

I honestly don't care about which platform it's on, as I just use GOG Galaxy to deal with that. However, this just looks crap. I used to play MW2 and MW3 back in the day and enjoy them but this holds no interest for me.  

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Videos

33. Re: Star Citizen Videos Dec 3, 2019, 17:11 theyarecomingforyou

VoodooV wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 13:14:
That's the core issue right there.

It's not whether or not this game will come out..
It's not whether or not they will deliver on the tech.

It's simply...will this game be any sustained fun?
Exactly. The majority of the gameplay will not resolve around combat, therefore it's about how enjoyable that's going to be. Different environments like those shown off will definitely help, where you have to take into account your oxygen supply or the temperature window of your outfit. But it really comes down to whether the game will be able to handle vast numbers of NPCs and use them to create compelling gameplay loops. PVP is important but even if there are millions of concurrent players and server meshing works as envisaged, the size of the universe means you're still talking about a very lower player density.

The game will add more ships, planets, moons, landing zones and even star systems but it still requires something to occupy your time. Quantum shows they're looking at a dynamic system to do just that but it's a massive undertaking.

My prediction: the game will be vastly more enjoyable in about 2-3 years but it will be about 4-5 years before NPCs, dynamic server meshing and gameplay systems get close to what people are expecting from the final release.

News Comments > Star Citizen Videos

29. Re: Star Citizen Videos Nov 30, 2019, 20:39 theyarecomingforyou

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 27, 2019, 13:41:
beetlejuice beetlejuice beetlejuice
theyarecomingforyou theyarecomingforyou theyarecomingforyou
I have been summoned.

As someone who attended CitizenCon this year and went on a studio tour, the presentation was decent as a tech showcase. However, it doesn't address the enjoyability of the game right now. It's still years off.

What I will say is that Theatres of War was a blast. I played a pre-release version in a 20v20 environment and I can see it being a popular game mode. It reminds me of Unreal Tournament with the phase-based objecttives.

News Comments > Blizzard Addresses blitzchung Controversy; Reduces Penalties

52. Re: Blizzard Addresses blitzchung Controversy; Reduces Penalties Oct 13, 2019, 10:27 theyarecomingforyou

Quinn wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 10:17:
What an utter nonsense, man! You act like I was attacking some harmless part of their culture, like music or kitchen. I was specifically targeting something I think isn't helpful.
So black people considering each other family is not "harmless" and "isn't helpful"? Oh no, how dare black people like each other. That must pose such an existential threat to your racial identity.

49. Re: Blizzard Addresses blitzchung Controversy; Reduces Penalties Oct 13, 2019, 10:22 theyarecomingforyou

Quinn wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 09:58:
OK, but what do you actually think I mean with "non-issue"? Do you really think I think cops shooting innocent black people a non-issue, or do you think I mean that it is not systemic as the data shows? There's also no evidence that the actual wrongful shootings are because of racism, exceptions notwithstanding. People like Colin want it to be racism and evidently desperately so.
There's plenty of evidence to support allegations of racism in US policing: One / Two / Three / Four / Five

It seems very clear you just don't want to accept the possibility there may be an issue. In your mind black people are just playing the victim card and stirring racial division. Your racial prejudice is clear for all to see.

46. Re: Blizzard Addresses blitzchung Controversy; Reduces Penalties Oct 13, 2019, 10:02 theyarecomingforyou

Quinn wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 09:39:
I think I know better than you what my thoughts were back then, bud. I no longer agree with how I expressed myself, but I know what I meant back then. In a particular corner of black culture there's still very much an us/them way of looking out into the world. Same goes for white culture, but that white corner is a taboo and rightly so. I just think it should be the same thing for that part of black culture. Equality. Unity. I have a few black friends and one of them is actually one of my best buddies. That says a lot about me. Don't let the meme that it does not, fool you.
So you still mean the same thing, you just don't like that it comes across as racist? Hardly a compelling defence. And don't even get me started on the whole 'I'm not racist because I have a black friend' spiel. I too have black friends yet I don't get accused of being a racist because I don't make racist remarks.

You can't claim to be calling for racial unity whilst launching attacks on black culture. Given your earlier comments about Colin Kaepernick, your racist tendencies are clear for all to see. It seems the only way you would tolerate black people is if they act indistinguishably from white people and don't dare to do something that might offend you.

37. Re: Blizzard Addresses blitzchung Controversy; Reduces Penalties Oct 13, 2019, 06:50 theyarecomingforyou

Quinn wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 03:41:
Typical, the way you evade my actual comment. No substance whatsoever regarding it. Steel-manning your opposition is something you fellas don't do. Instead, let's search for comments of the guy I want to destroy that can drag him through the mud, even if said comments are 6 fucking years old. And even said comment can only be interpreted as something not good because I didn't add the #notall disclaimer. My intention in the comment was clearly a call for unity instead of keeping a wedge between two cultures.
Bullshit. You can't claim your comment was a call to racial unity whilst outright attacking black culture. Your comment clearly can't "only be interpreted as something not good because I didn't add the #notall disclaimer" because everybody else interpreted as racist.

Most bizarre is your defence. You highlight that the comment was 6 years old - as if your views are no longer the same - only to then provide an impassioned defence of said comment.

News Comments > Respawn Apologizes for Breaking Apex Legends Loot Promise

12. Re: Respawn Apologizes for Breaking Apex Legends Loot Promise Aug 18, 2019, 11:47 theyarecomingforyou

Drayth wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 22:52:
Yeah, I don't quite get the outrage over this either. There's a very rare reward out there for those who do play a ton / professionally / have a lot of money. It doesn't affect those who don't have it.
It's exploitative. The goal is to extract obscene amounts of money from people with poor impulse control / addictive personalities. It's like charities that target the eldery because they're easily persuadable.

Capitalism like this has no place in society.

News Comments > Halo: Reach PC Video and Piracy Warning

35. Re: Halo: Reach PC Video and Piracy Warning Jul 6, 2019, 06:40 theyarecomingforyou

If anyone's desperate enough to be pirating this shit then the developer should be thankful. Those pirating are more likely to become purchasers further down the line. Draconian bans like this don't work and only impact those interested in the franchise.  

News Comments > Season 10 of Fortnite to Require DirectX 11

10. Re: Re: Season 10 of Fortnite to Require DirectX 11 Jun 23, 2019, 07:54 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 20:56:
From a personal note, there's no way I would ever go back to 7. That OS, even the 64-bit flavor, is nowhere near as stable as 10. In the entire time I've used Win10 64-bit, I've had one BSOD, and NVIDIA drivers caused that during its installation (it hasn't happened since).
Windows 10 is stable but far from perfect. I experienced several bluescreens only today after updating to the latest build, 1903. It looped until I managed to get onto the desktop to run chkdsk and has been fine since.

News Comments > Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended

14. Re: Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter Beta Extended Jun 16, 2019, 14:57 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2019, 21:31:
The hate towards FO76 was never really warranted, even at launch. Its biggest flaw was that it was a multiplayer spin-off instead of FO5. That's why most of its critics never even played it. However, it actually plays very much like FO4. You still spend the majority of your time exploring, killing, scavenging and crafting. There are still NPCs, they're just robots. There are still tons of interesting POIs and lore to discover too. As with any BGS game, there are bugs and the UI is still awful but at least mods help with the latter.
I disagree. Fallout 4 was lacklustre due to the dated engine and familiar gameplay, yet it still had appeal. Fallout 76 was an abortion of a game that stripped out everything that made a Bethesda game compelling - it had no NPCs, no compelling quests, no ability to mod the game and was supported by a company with no experience maintaining an online service.

Bethesda wanted recurrent monetisation and to cash-in on the Fallout brand name. The backlash means that the company has to tread very carefully when it comes to the next Elder Scrolls game, as it won't be able to get away with the same dated engine and buggy gameplay.

News Comments > Free Oxenfree on Epic Games Store

8. Re: Free Oxenfree on Epic Games Store Mar 31, 2019, 13:08 theyarecomingforyou

wrlwnd wrote on Mar 30, 2019, 02:00:
The prices in the Epic game store are much higher than Steam.
I haven't noticed them being any higher, though that might be a UK thing. However, it's still easy to find much better prices on third-party websites. For instance, Metro: Exodus is 49.99 on the Epic Store but only 33.33 on Instant-Gaming - both activate on the Epic Store. To put that price in perspective, I paid 35 for the original Half-Life back in 1998 so prices are lower in absolute and real-terms.

I rarely buy from the official digital platform stores these days, preferring instead to grab things from third-party websites with much cheaper prices.

News Comments > Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash

38. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Jan 30, 2019, 15:01 theyarecomingforyou

Primalchrome wrote on Jan 30, 2019, 14:32:
Steam has failed to innovate,
While the Steam client is a dog, that's a reflection of the fact that there is no leadership at Valve to make it a priority. But saying "failed to innovate" is silly hyperbole : Workshop. Linux gaming. Friends/games/community integration. Steambox. Controller integration. Steam Controller. SteamVR. 3rd party keys. Which other storefronts have these failures of innovation?
None of that really matters when the Steam client is an absolute dog. The Steam client has been in desperate need of a UI overhaul for half a decade yet still is persists. Sure Valve has experiment with projects like Linux, Steambox, Steam Controller and SteamVR but with limited value and no meaningful impact to the average gamer. Meanwhile we've seen prices increase and sales become less impressive, which is something that really impacts the average gamer.

It's hilarious to see Valve criticise the move when it pushed for games to be tied to Steam. With Metro Exodus we're talking about a timed exclusive to a new platform that is looking to provide competition in the market. I'm willing to give Epic the benefit of the doubt, as Valve has sat back and watch the money pour in without doing anything to meaningfully improve the user experience. In fact the Steam Greenlight platform filled the store with low quality games and made navigation of the store nearly impossible.

33. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Jan 30, 2019, 14:00 theyarecomingforyou

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 30, 2019, 13:54:
Grow the fuck up. This is how you grow your business. People were green with rage when they had to install some barely working, piece of shit 3rd party software called STEAM so they could play Half Life 2.
This. Steam was a piece of shit when it was first released. The Epic Games Launcher may not have full feature parity but it is in a much better state that Steam was when it started. There was also a backlash against Steam exclusives until it became a major platform, then people actively bought retail games that supported Steam.

32. Re: Metro Exodus Epic Deal Sparks Backlash Jan 30, 2019, 13:55 theyarecomingforyou

Steam has failed to innovate, with the same dated interface for the past decade aside from a few minor tweaks. The store page is appalling and browsing it is an absolute chore. There has simply been no incentive for Valve to improve it, as the money was rolling in.

Personally I don't care much for the Epic Games Launcher. It's not great. However, the smaller cut means lower prices for gamers or more funding for developers - both benefit gamers. There is also a major incentive for Epic to improve the store and I'm sure we'll see plenty of changes over the next year, as we have already. As simple as it is I prefer the Epic Games store page, with its large tiles. The library view is basic but I don't like Steam's either. And I like that Epic is giving away a free game every two weeks.

I used to be an ardent advocate of Steam but the lack of competition just isn't good for the market, especially when Valve refuses to innovate. It's great to see a high profile game like this make the switch, even if it is last minute - it means publishers consider it a serious platform, no doubt because it is popular already due to Fortnite. Hopefully it will make Valve consider investing serious time and effort making Steam a competitive platform.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2019, 14:27.

News Comments > DMCA Notice Freezes Star Control Origins in Carbonite

6. Re: DMCA Notice Freezes Star Control Origins in Carbonite Jan 1, 2019, 14:15 theyarecomingforyou

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 1, 2019, 13:00:
I feel like the layoff comment was added to increase the emotional response, they were most likely planning to do the layoffs regardless
Agreed. Stardock has always been a questionable company and CEO Brad Wardell is particularly obnoxious, most infamously when he boycotted UPS after it boycotted Fox News. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he would hijack this controversy to layoff employees to use them as pawns in his PR war. Plus he has a face that you just want to punch.

I don't see why Stardock felt the need to use a lesser known IP which it had questionable rights over instead of simply doing something original. Look at Two Point Hospital - it was very obviously a modern take on Theme Hospital, developed by some of those who worked on the original, yet it used a new IP and established itself in its own right. I don't have any sympathy for Stardock.

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020

44. Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 27, 2018, 14:24 theyarecomingforyou

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 26, 2018, 10:58:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 25, 2018, 19:18:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 21, 2018, 03:34:
Yeah, except it isn't for marketing.
I would bet real money that they are going to use a considerable part of that money to port the game to consoles.
Chris Roberts has always said he would consider a console release but that the current hardware isn't up to the task. It's not something that has ever been hidden from the community and the game already has controller support.

Marketing is a major expense, especially when Chris Roberts promised all crowdfunding for the game would go towards development. This allows them to promote the game to a large audience when the game is much closer to release. If you want to see a conspiracy where there isn't one then that's entirely up to you.
Now you know what the C in cj stands for. Wink Anyone that doesn't think there will be significant marketing costs is fooling themselves.
From the looks of things the game is coming along nicely and appears to be ahead of schedule for something of it's scope. Time will tell.

Exactly. The cost of marketing for Dead Space 2 was $60 million and Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was $200 million. It completely stands to reason that Squadron 42 / Star Citizen would also require a substantial marketing budget. Yet of course we have the resident trolls around here claiming a massive conspiracy.

As always, anybody interested in the game is advised to wait until it is released and look at the reviews / public free plays. I question anyone who guarantees it will be a success or a failure. People are advised to keep an open mind and look at the evidence.

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020

41. Re: Star Citizen Adds Investor; Squadron 42 Beta in 2020 Dec 25, 2018, 19:18 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 21, 2018, 03:34:
Yeah, except it isn't for marketing. That's just another Chris Roberts lie out of a billion more.

I would bet real money that they are going to use a considerable part of that money to port the game to consoles. That's the only way to substantially increase their customer base and to generate the much needed additional income to cover more years of SC development.
They have to expand their customer base big time and the only way is to tap the conslow market.

Chris is going to use the excuse that he could not foresee in 2012 how long it would take (immershun, fideliteh, the usual blahblah) and also how he could not predict how awesome the PS5 and the next Xbox was gonna be. When those are revealed he is going to praise the fuck out of them and maybe even sign some deals with MS and/or Sony. Guaranteed.
Chris Roberts has always said he would consider a console release but that the current hardware isn't up to the task. It's not something that has ever been hidden from the community and the game already has controller support.

Marketing is a major expense, especially when Chris Roberts promised all crowdfunding for the game would go towards development. This allows them to promote the game to a large audience when the game is much closer to release. If you want to see a conspiracy where there isn't one then that's entirely up to you.

News Comments > On Command & Conquer Remastered

11. Re: On Command & Conquer Remastered Dec 24, 2018, 11:29 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 23, 2018, 15:34:
I mean, their real motivation is pretty clear as they obviously want to add more value to their EA Access subscription service while maybe reviving the C&C franchise at the same time but it would still be pretty cool to get a less pixellated original C&C with some QoL improvements.
For EA it's just a simple business equation. If they don't get it right then the franchise is effectively worthless. I don't have any confidence in EA doing the right thing, as we've seen with the terrible mobile game and the pathetic previous attempt to make an online version.

I'd love for this remaster to be to the original as Two Point Hospital is to Theme Hospital but I don't see it happening.

News Comments > Star Citizen Engine Lawsuit May End

21. Re: Star Citizen Engine Lawsuit May End Dec 11, 2018, 13:42 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2018, 11:33:
CIG says their switch to Amazon's Lumberyard engine made these complaints irrelevant,

This seems weird?

So if I sign a contract with someone to use their product and to promote it, I can then just say "Yeah but I went with another product, so it's not valid anymore!" That seems very odd. What's to keep a professional athlete from breaching a contract this way? "Sure, I signed with the Dodgers saying I'd play for them for six years, but I'm playing for the Yankees now, so that's an irrelevant complaint."

Very, very weird.
That's because you're not understanding contract law. CIG signed a contract for the right to use CryEngine, not an obligation to use it. All the restrictive language used in the contract relates to the licensee's ability to sublicence the engine, hence why it is referred to as 'the business of' throughout.

There's an excellent legal analysis of the MTD here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw-Df748okk

6856 Comments. 343 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >