Total Posts
623 (Apprentice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

623 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 13.
Newer [  1    8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23    32  ] Older

Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code
Jan 22, 2010, 12:01
Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code Jan 22, 2010, 12:01
Jan 22, 2010, 12:01

You brought it up in reference to someone buying a used guitar and you argued that a physical copy of a game is nothing like a guitar because of intellectual property. I stated that intellectual property was irrelevant to such a discussion due to the fact that we are only talking about selling the physical media that the intellectual property resides upon. It's in fact no different than buying a used guitar or a used anything. 

It depends on what the initial content is. If it's something that feels as if it was cut from the game and repackaged as dlc then I think the value of the game is diminished due to the fact that it's incomplete without the added content. If it's simply a small amount of bonus content then it will be irrelevant to the value of the game. 
Bioware claims there will be some ongoing free content, if that does end up being the case, then I don't really have a problem with the situation. Because they will be rewarding those who bought a new copy while encouraging them to retain their copy of it so they can receive the new content. However, it remains to be seen if the ongoing free dlc will be anything worth while or simply a few items.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2010, 12:05.

Jan 22, 2010, 11:22
Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code Jan 22, 2010, 11:22
Jan 22, 2010, 11:22

I never claimed it prevented someone from reselling their game, only that is diminished the value of said game.
You're the one who brought up the intellectual property argument to which I responded that such an argument is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Jan 22, 2010, 11:13
Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code Jan 22, 2010, 11:13
Jan 22, 2010, 11:13

No one is talking about doing anything except reselling the physical media that the intellectual property resides on. How does rebroadcasting or reproducing enter into the discussion? Which governments don't allow someone to resell their physical media that contains intellectual property?

Jan 22, 2010, 10:33
Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code Jan 22, 2010, 10:33
Jan 22, 2010, 10:33

The argument of intellectual property is irrelevant when talking about something that is sold as a physical item. If someone sells their copy of me2 they can no longer play it. The situation is no different than his guitar or any other used product. Intellectual properties come into play when you are making copies of the copyrighted material off your physical disk. Just because game publishers claim you have no rights doesn't automatically make it true.

Do we know yet if it's simply a little bonus content or something more substantial? 

Jan 22, 2010, 09:31
Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code Jan 22, 2010, 09:31
Jan 22, 2010, 09:31

I can resale a cinema ticket. When you purchase a movie ticket you are buying one seat for one showing. If I were to sell my ticket I would no longer be able to view that showing. Game companies use that business model also, they are called arcades. It's in no way comparable to buying a physical product that can be legally sold/traded/loaned to whoever I decide.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2010, 09:43.

Jan 22, 2010, 09:13
Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code Jan 22, 2010, 09:13
Jan 22, 2010, 09:13

The more consumer friendly way to deal with used games sales is to reward people who buy a new copy. Not to punish those who buy used. Now obviously some might argue that that's exactly what is going on here, but I would disagree. The appearance is that bioware/ea are cutting a portion of the game and making it DLC simply as a ploy to punish people that buy a used copy. Now a more consume friendly approach IMO would be to provide some ongoing free DLC after release to people who bought and registered a new copy of the game. As an added benefit it would make owners of the game less likely to sell/trade their copy since additional free content would be forthcoming.

Jan 22, 2010, 08:53
Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code Jan 22, 2010, 08:53
Jan 22, 2010, 08:53

I don't agree with the assertion that videogames are some super special product that are unethical resell. The whole degradation argument is always trotted out even though it's ridiculous. Most used games sales take place within the first few years of release, after which most become outdated and worthless. Most other items you would buy used are still functioning in like-new condition during the same time period. Not to mention the fact that modern games are quite fragile and prone to scratches that make them unplayable.

You're correct that game publishers could make the entire game unlockable with a code that is only useable once and then locked to a specific console. Doing that would atleast be honest and straight forward. Then consumers could decide if they are willing to pay $60 for a game with no resale value. Instead EA is doing this in a under-handed way that most consumers will be clueless about.

Jan 22, 2010, 06:03
Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code Jan 22, 2010, 06:03
Jan 22, 2010, 06:03

The gaming industry has become remarkably anti-consumer over the past couple years.

I think this is a pretty under-handed way to try and hurt a perfectly legal second hand market.
I hope it backfires. I know many console gamers depend on trading/selling their used games to recoup some of the extra expense of buying a new copy. I wonder how many of those folks may think twice about buying a new copy for $60.00 when they will likely only be able to sell it for $30-$35.
By the same token, uninformed gamers may be more likely to purchase ME2 used rather than new due to the greater than normal price differential that is likely to occur.

Personally, I rarely spend more than $20 for a game anymore because of these types of practices.

Re: Dragon Age: Origins Awakening Announced
Jan 5, 2010, 16:33
Re: Dragon Age: Origins Awakening Announced Jan 5, 2010, 16:33
Jan 5, 2010, 16:33

My first reaction is irritation that an expansion pack is already coming out so close to the games release. However, if it does end up being 25-30 hours of good new content than I guess it's a plus regardless of how quickly it's released.

Re: Legal Briefs
Jan 5, 2010, 16:22
Re: Legal Briefs Jan 5, 2010, 16:22
Jan 5, 2010, 16:22

Shoplift something for a buck in a store and they wouldn't even waste time calling the cops. Steal a song valued at a buck and get fined more than you'll make in over a decade. Punishment fitting the crime? Uhh no.

As far as I know, no one has ever been taken to court over only downloading a song. It is always over the distribution of copyrighted material. The damages are clearly excessive though.

Re: Old Radio Shack Catalogs
Dec 25, 2009, 12:47
Re: Old Radio Shack Catalogs Dec 25, 2009, 12:47
Dec 25, 2009, 12:47

www.RadioShackCatalogs.com is PHENOMENAL!!!! It's a display of old Radio Shack catalogs from 1939-2005. And if you look around, you can view "books" of old store photos, memorabilia, trademarks, advertisements, commercial videos, and even a forum. COOL!!!! [url=]www.radioshackcatalogs.com[/url]

Re: Jagged Alliance 3 Cancelled?
Dec 20, 2009, 16:57
Re: Jagged Alliance 3 Cancelled? Dec 20, 2009, 16:57
Dec 20, 2009, 16:57

I don't think you can compare Fallout to Jagged Alliance.
FO had a really cool universe that would have worked in a number of genres. JA has a fairly generic universe, but made up for it with great game play and memorable characters.

Re: EA on
Dec 10, 2009, 06:13
Re: EA on Dec 10, 2009, 06:13
Dec 10, 2009, 06:13

Fixed, variable and overhead costs have nothing to do with absolute numbers. It's about the nature of the costs.

Overhead costs are portions of costs associated with the company as a whole which are assigned to a particular product (i.e. administration and general business costs).

Fixed costs are costs assigned to a particular product regardless of units produced (i.e. programmer salaries).

Variable costs are costs assigned incurred on a per unit basis (i.e. packaging & distribution).

Video games are mostly fixed costs and overhead costs, with a small variable component.

I was speaking of large fixed and overhead costs skewing revenue figures. A good example would be aerospace companies such as Boeing, which have extremely high fixed and overhead costs. The aerospace industries revenue numbers would be difficult to extrapolate into what the actual demand for airplanes is.

I don't feel such a problem exists in the video game industry.

Dec 9, 2009, 18:19
Re: EA on Dec 9, 2009, 18:19
Dec 9, 2009, 18:19

What? They have hardly any variable costs. Firstly they're all fixed in nature (or at least semifixed, like salaries) and secondly once a game ships they're sunk costs - no cost can be variable if it cannot be stopped due to already having been spent.

If they had true large fixed overhead costs, you wouldn't see some games with a 1-3 million dollar budget and others with a 40 million dollar budget. Game publishers have decided, like film studios, that inflated development budgets and advertising budgets are worth it, but that hardly means they are necessary to create a video game.

Dec 9, 2009, 17:51
Re: EA on Dec 9, 2009, 17:51
Dec 9, 2009, 17:51

don't seem to understand that even if we don't all like some of these companies, there would be no games if they didn't exist. Unless we want everything to be PopCap and Facebook games, if we want AAA games to continue, these companies need to find a way to survive and yes, make money. If we don't support these companies at least sometimes, there's going to be nothing left to play.

I agree with you up until this point.
The revenue figures prove that AAA games aren't going anywhere, whether EA goes out of business or not (they won't). There is too much money to be made, regardless of whether EAs current business model allows them to turn a profit.

For some reason car analogies seem to be popular on blues, even though they usually don't make any sense
Take the US car companies that have been failing, does their failure mean the car industry as a whole is about to collapse and we'll all be riding horses soon if we don't go out and buy GM cars. Of course not, there is too much money to be made selling cars, regardless of whether GM is able to capitalize on it.

Re: Game Reviews
Dec 9, 2009, 08:52
Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2009, 08:52
Dec 9, 2009, 08:52

That's assuming such a pie pre-exists ready to be consumed by the masses vs. simply created by a few large entities.

The large entities you speak of can only create revenue by satisfying consumer demand. They can't simply create it out of thin air.
Therefore the demand does pre-exist, it just has to be tapped into.

Dec 9, 2009, 08:24
Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2009, 08:24
Dec 9, 2009, 08:24

When you say "doing okay financially" it depends on who benefits.

The beneficiaries are the companies who create products that people want and therefore purchase. Anyone is able to enter the gaming market and compete for a piece of the 57 billion dollar pie.

Dec 9, 2009, 06:13
Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2009, 06:13
Dec 9, 2009, 06:13

Would you make the same argument if slaves were used for production?

I thought you weren't arguing

I'm not sure how slave labor fits into the argument that the gaming industry is doing okay financially.

Dec 9, 2009, 05:38
Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2009, 05:38
Dec 9, 2009, 05:38

If you measure an industry's health purely on profit you overlook ethical and moral implications. Example: Company X is making a huge profit and is very successful with investors, meanwhile a lot of the imported products are from cheap, forced, and abusive child labor.

I'm only arguing about the financial health of the gaming industry.

I dislike many of the business practices that take place in the gaming industry. And in many cases, I don't buy games I otherwise would because of those business practices.

Dec 9, 2009, 05:15
Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2009, 05:15
Dec 9, 2009, 05:15

I'm saying you can't base an entire industry due to a few successes. Also, it's not always about the money. A company can make millions but if they lay-off the entire development team (C&C 4) before a release date, that's not very encouraging. You have to balance this between the profits and the human factor. It's like saying the US economy is doing just fine because the oil industry is making billions.

The reason for the lay-offs is that publishers now view developers as nothing more than a labor force. Easily replaced. It's sad, since they are the ones who actually create the games. Publishers hold all the cards though, so it is unlikely to change. It will probably only get worse. I don't think that is any indication as to the health of the industry though.

Revenue show the overall health of an industry. It can get complicated when talking about industries with very high fixed overhead, because even with high revenue it may be difficult to turn a profit. But the gaming industry, despite what some people may claim, have very little in the way fixed overhead costs.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 05:16.
623 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 13.
Newer [  1    8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23    32  ] Older