Total Posts
623 (Apprentice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

623 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 12.
Newer [  1    7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22    32  ] Older

Re: Supreme Commander 2 Demo
Feb 25, 2010, 23:23
Re: Supreme Commander 2 Demo Feb 25, 2010, 23:23
Feb 25, 2010, 23:23

I haven't played the demo yet, so maybe I shouldn't even be commenting. But, it sounds like they stripped out all of the features that made SC unique among the myriad of RTS games on the market.
Now, a run of the mill style RTS can still be good, I enjoyed C&C 3 for example despite the lack of innovation, but it won't be something I'll be running out and buying come launch day.

Re: On Sale
Feb 25, 2010, 23:05
Re: On Sale Feb 25, 2010, 23:05
Feb 25, 2010, 23:05

$12.50 seems like a great deal for Batman. It looks like I'll have another game to add to my backlog.

I wonder if the "Games for Windows LIVE" store is better or worse than the other digital distribution marketplaces.

Re: No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2
Feb 23, 2010, 16:27
Re: No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2 Feb 23, 2010, 16:27
Feb 23, 2010, 16:27

I have Windows 7 on my laptop and XP on my gaming PC, and after using both I haven't seen a compelling enough reason to spend the money to switch to Windows 7 on my gaming PC.
If I ever see Windows 7 really cheap I may change my mind, or if MS brings back the family pack, but at $120.00 it's not worth it to me.
I doubt Just Cause 2 is going to enter into the decision on whether to upgrade for most people, it isn't a good enough game. Now, if Half-Life 3 doesn't have XP support....

Re: No PC Dead Space 2
Feb 14, 2010, 02:30
Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Feb 14, 2010, 02:30
Feb 14, 2010, 02:30

Well done PC pirates, BF Bad Company 2 neutered and now we're not even getting DS2, it's getting worse at a faster rate then I was hoping. What are we going to be left with in a few years just Valve and Steam?

While piracy has become a convenient scapegoat for all that ails PC gaming, most of the issues would be happening regardless. The consolization of games such as BC2 are due to the reality that the console market is much larger and more profitable than the PC gaming market. Now you can make the argument that piracy is partly to blame for that, but if you really believe that PC games would be selling 5x better if only piracy didn't exist you're delusional. PC gaming has become the niche market while consoles are the mainstream market, and that isn't going to change anytime in the immediate future. Therefore we can expect game companies will continue to focus on console gamers as their target audience.

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2010, 02:58.

Re: Evening Metaverse
Feb 12, 2010, 04:03
Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 12, 2010, 04:03
Feb 12, 2010, 04:03

Most media companies don't do a very good job (IMO) judging the price elasticity of their products.

Feb 8, 2010, 23:16
Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Feb 8, 2010, 23:16
Feb 8, 2010, 23:16

Why the fuck are you guys surprised? They cant protect the products, people steal it, if they had a steam id system like Valve they could protect the content from pirates slightly better, but if you release the PC game people steal it, and you know it effects the console sales.

That's the question, does PC piracy affect console game sales. Dead Space 2 may help answer that, if the sequel sells far better than the original then you'll be able to make the argument that it is partly due to the lack of PC piracy.

Btw when did steam start preventing piracy? As far as I know every steam game is available to pirate.

Feb 8, 2010, 23:06
Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Feb 8, 2010, 23:06
Feb 8, 2010, 23:06

they will just drive pirates to the consoles with that strategy. people go where the exclusives are and i doubt pirates are any different.

I think you are most certainly correct, but publishers don't think that far ahead. They probably think that if they don't release a game on the PC thus eliminating PC piracy, that the people who would have pirated it on the PC will shrug their shoulders and say "Damn you EA you foiled our plot to steal your game, now we have no choice but to rush out and pay $60.00 for the XBOX360 version". Publishers can't even fathom that the pirates will eventually just switch their efforts to where ever the games are.

Feb 8, 2010, 22:34
Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Feb 8, 2010, 22:34
Feb 8, 2010, 22:34

I would imagine the original sold poorly on the PC which prompted this decision. Even so, they may decide to do a quick and dirty port sometime in the future if EA believes they can milk the franchise for a little more revenue.

If you want to get into a more conspiracy theory type discussion, you could argue that EA wants to see if the lack of a PC port, which comes with it PC piracy, increases the console sales of the sequel vs the original.

Re: Empire Total War DLC Released, Total War Sale
Feb 8, 2010, 16:40
Re: Empire Total War DLC Released, Total War Sale Feb 8, 2010, 16:40
Feb 8, 2010, 16:40

I've been a huge fan of the TW series since Shogun, but Empire was a total miss for me.
I don't think the time period offers interesting enough battles, the DLC units (and special edition) were overpriced and lame and the fact that it was a steamworks title was the final nail in the coffin for me.
I never did purchase a copy, until now. Even for all its problems, I'm sure I'll be able to get $13.00 worth of entertainment out of it.

It's too bad that Creative Assembly seems to be heading down the same path with N:TW, which appears (to me) to be nothing more than an expansion pack dressed up as a sequel.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2010, 16:41.

Re: Sunday Consolidation
Feb 7, 2010, 23:34
Re: Sunday Consolidation Feb 7, 2010, 23:34
Feb 7, 2010, 23:34

I've never understood why Microsoft gouges people buying add-on hard drives. Console manufacturers, including Microsoft, subsidize consoles with the belief that they will make up for it long term with game sales. After all, if people don't own your console you can't sell them any games. Yet they don't apply that same logic to selling add-on hard drives, which people need to purchase the overpriced content available on Microsoft's online marketplace.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2010, 23:35.

Re: DRM Discussion
Feb 4, 2010, 00:33
Re: DRM Discussion Feb 4, 2010, 00:33
Feb 4, 2010, 00:33

Consider that a reason why DRM is around is because it definately stops SOME copying.

I love the argument that DRM works, but only in situations that are unverifiable.

Re: On Sale
Jan 31, 2010, 15:13
Re: On Sale Jan 31, 2010, 15:13
Jan 31, 2010, 15:13

I haven't had any real interest in playing Red faction 3, given the last two were average at best. But for $5.00 I'll give it a try.

Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code
Jan 28, 2010, 00:51
Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code Jan 28, 2010, 00:51
Jan 28, 2010, 00:51

People sell their games because they don't think they're going to play them anymore. I think that DLC is a rather artificial way of prolonging the game's life though. If I want to go back to play the game in 5 or 10 years, chances are the DLC will no longer be available, which makes this point moot in my decision to sell or not sell a game. I will make that decision based on what's actually in the box and on the disc. However, the point is again made moot by many recent games with online activation, because that means that even what's in the box will not play anymore in a few years. At least not without getting your "customer support" from some Russian teenager.

Also, it's probably a good indicator for lack of customer satisfaction. Some people might be in a financial position to not care, but I think a lot of those who buy a game for $60 are not happy about selling it for $5 a few weeks later. I know that if I pay that kind of money for a game, I do so because I expect that I'll be playing it for a long time. People who quickly sell again for 5 bucks are probably going to think twice about their next purchase from the developer or publisher in question.

I bet most publishers only worry about used games sales during the initial 6-12 month release window in which the majority of copies of a new game are sold.
If someone were to buy a new game for $60 the week it was released, and were promised additional free content for 6-12 months via DLC I bet more people would hold onto that game, and thus starve places like Gamestop of inventory.

Obviously the best solution would be to create great games that people want to keep and replay for years to come, but I doubt that's going to start happening anytime soon....

Jan 27, 2010, 23:50
Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code Jan 27, 2010, 23:50
Jan 27, 2010, 23:50

I hope this was a typo because the "problem" is that people are willing to sell a $60 game for $5...to put it in more real numbers, game owners are willing to take $30 for a game they paid $60 for just a few days earlier. No one is creating used copies, everyone comes from someone willing to sell the game at a discount. There is nothing wrong with people wanting to buy the game at a discount, there would be something wrong if people didn't want to pay less... Major retailers already fight for your dollars by offering discounts when game is released, gift cards, game credits, etc.

I think some people may rightfully argue that the "problem" is that most games offer so little value that apparently enough people are willing to trade their games in within the first 1-2 months of release that an entire used game industry has been able to form.

DLC could actually be a great way to combat that perceived lack of value, but not with day 1 DLC.
Give owners worthwhile free DLC 2-3 months after release and I bet many people would hold onto their games longer.

Re: Apple iPad Announced
Jan 27, 2010, 23:30
Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 23:30
Jan 27, 2010, 23:30

So it is just an internet media tablet. Archos has had those since 2008. They are not the only company.

While I haven't used one of the archos devices you mentioned, I doubt they will compare to the speed and ease of use of the Ipad.
I bet that the archos while functional is quite clunky.
The same situation occurred with the introduction of the Iphone. The original Iphone had far fewer features than the PDA phones that were currently on the market, but the difference in speed and ease of use of the most important features (web browsing especially) made the comparison moot.

Re: Apple iPad Announced
Jan 27, 2010, 17:15
Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 17:15
Jan 27, 2010, 17:15

I love my iPhone, and I wouldn't mind having a larger version to surf the web and play videos with. The problem is the price is too high for the features they are providing. The lack of flash support is truly baffling. Why would I pay  $500+ for a web browsing device that can't even properly display many websites? Such a limitation is annoying but acceptable on a mobile phone, but not on a device in this price range which will be competing with laptops/netbooks.

Re: Ubisoft Ubi.com Q&A
Jan 27, 2010, 02:00
Re: Ubisoft Ubi.com Q&A Jan 27, 2010, 02:00
Jan 27, 2010, 02:00

They're betting that the same people who accept steamworks titles will accept their new protection scheme. Personally, I don't mind it, but with the caveat that games incorporating this kind of online registration scheme are worth far less than traditional titles. I've never paid more than $20 for a steam title, and I probably won't pay more than $10 for a ubisoft game incorporating this kind of protection scheme.

Jan 22, 2010, 18:26
Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code Jan 22, 2010, 18:26
Jan 22, 2010, 18:26

Nah I'll answer The product itself is treated and valued differently because it can be easily reproduced.

Around we go

You mean a middle man like, consignment stores, eBay, pawn shops, thrift stores ect??

You trumpeted games lack of wear and tear yet fail to mention the biggest difficulty of reselling games which is their extremely fast depreciation. Your average game will only be worth 15-25% of its original value after three years times. Many games drop 50% or more in the first six months of release. I can't imagine many guitars depreciating like that.. Every product is different as far as valuation goes, but the fundamentals of reselling any product are the same.

The belief that videogames are unique and in need of protection from the secondary market that exist for all other products is pretty much restricted to the gaming industry itself and surprisingly some gamers.

Jan 22, 2010, 13:46
Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code Jan 22, 2010, 13:46
Jan 22, 2010, 13:46

Reproduce a guitar. Now reproduce a game, movie or music cd. There's your answer.

Now we've come full circle... Back to the question about who is reproducing anything? No need to actually answer, I think this side argument has run its course and will simply continue to loop around in circles

It's free content that in no way influences the game's main storyline or ending beyond adding a single character to recruit to your party. The quests are tertiary and DLC items are not depriving you of anything. I don't know how much to be much clearer than that. There will also be paid DLC at some point in the future. You are complaining about a very valid scenario involving developers purposely cutting out big portions of their game to screw with Gamestop, it just doesn't happen to pertain to this situation.

Fair enough. 
If the dlc is as you describe then I doubt it will have much of an affect on the value of the game.

There are way too many stories nowadays about game publishers/developers anti-consumer practices in their crusade against piracy and used game sales.
I pretty much always assume the worst with game companies these days until proven wrong. I simply don't like the direction the industry is headed. I think long term it's a bad idea to continually disrespect your paying customers, for whatever the perceived legitimate reasons may be.

Jan 22, 2010, 12:50
Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code Jan 22, 2010, 12:50
Jan 22, 2010, 12:50

Except that it is and I already explained why, you just seem to think saying "oh thats irrelevant" somehow answers it. Go back and read or just drop it since you seem to claim that it has nothing to do with the topic in the first place.

Your explanation was that it's different because..... One involves intellectual property :p
If you've been following the game at all then you'd already have the answer to your question, if you haven't then you shouldn't be complaining. I agree that there is a potential for this to be exploited but Bioware isn't doing that so what's the problem?

I haven't finished the first ME yet, so admittedly I haven't been following the sequel that closely. But the news stories I've seen have all be fairly vague as far as the dlc goes. They mention new missions, a new character and new items. 
None which explains how the dlc will fit with the rest of the game.

623 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 12.
Newer [  1    7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22    32  ] Older