Descending
Limit Results:

4 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Business 101
Oct 10, 2005, 09:09
Business 101 Oct 10, 2005, 09:09
Oct 10, 2005, 09:09

If I chose to ignore all the terrible press every single one of your games have received (which I haven't) and was in clear and present danger of buying one of your games, I would have been saved by reading some of the comments you've posted here. For example, if you don't develop games for idiots, socially inept (and thats a strange call coming from you, because you are the pinnacle of social ineptitude), without a clue wankers, etc, it might be a good idea to start plastering that all over the box. That should probably be coupled with a warning that 'failure to comply will result in being patronized by a condescending holier-than-thou liar.'

Your house, your rules, your attitude, your business, your loss, your bed, lie in it. If I owned a games retail store I'd refuse to stock your games. If I worked at a game store I'd refuse to sell them. Fortunately I do neither, so I just don't buy your games and nor does anyone I talk to. You might have a PHD (tell us another one) but you surely failed business class, didn't ya. Spoonhead. You're like the George Bush of game development. And thats not a compliment.

Re: VIA Grease Monkey
Feb 3, 2005, 00:48
Re: VIA Grease Monkey Feb 3, 2005, 00:48
Feb 3, 2005, 00:48

Actually, yes, Grease Monkey does give you access to demos, game movies, maps, expansions and mods. No pre-release beta tests yet (that I'm aware of). It's early days though, so beta programs aren't out of the question either. Given that it's $55.00 approx per year cheaper, you might find the free trial version worth a try.

Feb 2, 2005, 18:10
Re: VIA Grease Monkey Feb 2, 2005, 18:10
Feb 2, 2005, 18:10

Voodoo, thats exactly what I thought when I was first told about it. After all, I visit at least 10 different game sites a day - how could I possibly manage to let any of it get out of date? Well when I fired up Grease Monkey for the first time, I realised that almost all of the 40+ games I had installed were in fact due to be updated.
Blue made the remark 'someone should start a website for that sort of thing' and as we all know, there are plenty of websites that offer file downloads. Keeping up with it all (if you have loads of games installed) is the tricky bit. But GM does more than just offer patch updates, demos, maps or expansions. It provides graphic drivers as well, with benchmarks (for numerous recent games) which can be a useful guide for gamers only interested in fastest performance.
Of course its not for everyone, but I've seen enough tech support emails to know that there really is a market for this sort of utility. What I have trouble believing is that one would pay approx $70.00 US a year for a fileplanet subscription ($60.00 for Fileshack).

Feb 2, 2005, 17:18
Re: VIA Grease Monkey Feb 2, 2005, 17:18
Feb 2, 2005, 17:18

I do work for VIA, so you can take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, but Game Advisor isn't anywhere near as functional as Grease Monkey. Whilst Advisor will tell you about the latest patches, it doesn't list all available patches for listed games, nor does it supply release notes for each file to check out before downloading.
Advisor doesn't know what graphics hardware you're using, which drivers are running, or supply benchmark guides for available graphics card drivers. Nor does it seem to alert you if you need to update your version of DirectX. Grease Monkey does.

When I was first told that VIA would release such a program I was the first to frown in dismay, thinking that it would only be suitable for complete newbies. But when I actually checked it out I was nicely surprised how handy it really is. As I said, given that I do work for VIA you can take that anyway you like, but the free trial version is well worth checking out and comparing with Game Advisor.
This comment was edited on Feb 2, 17:20.
4 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older