Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6963 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 5, 2016, 18:04 Dev

Pigeon wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 14:08:
Dev wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 13:45:
Saboth wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 12:58:
Exactly. They are trying to make up for the loss in TV subscriptions by creating arbitrary limits and fees. Whereas in the past you might have paid $100-$120 for TV+internet, people are dropping TV and going with internet-only, so the companies are maybe getting only $60-$80. So now they implement caps and start charging $35-$50 if you go "over" your false cap, so they still make $100+ on the consumer. So the consumer thinks: "Hmm, I can pay $40 a month for Hulu, Netflix, Sling, then $50 for overage charges, and $75 for internet for a total of $165, or I could just sign up for that Comcast TV deal for $125, and my streaming would go back down to 200-300 GB a month and I don't have to deal with those overage fees. Essentially when you buy TV, your "streaming" (transfer of data to watch TV) is free. When you use cable to stream from other sources, you are now charged for it, meaning Comcast is giving themselves a big advantage over competitors. We were using 200-300 GB when we had internet and cable TV. Now that we cut the cord, that's more like 600-700. I would think someone would point out exempting their cable service from data transfer rates while charging all other sources of TV streaming is anti-competitive.
Or, people with a clue have the option to get Comcast business for $70 and have no caps at all. (at least in areas where it's available)

For a 16Mbps/3Mbps connection and 2 year agreement. It would be $110 for me to keep the same speed I currently have, so lets not pretend that's a deal...
Depends on the math. If you are downloading enough to go over caps all the time, and you are in the situation described by Saboth above, it might be. If that's not you, then yeah it might not fit. Internet isn't one size fits all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 5, 2016, 14:45 Dev

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 14:03:
And that has to be taken with a grain of salt.
How many systems have steam running in the background (along with weatherbug) that have crappy specs and were never meant for gaming, except for that one time when Timmy was visiting and installed TF2.
My guess is a lot of them.
lies, damn lies and statistics.
Yeah and you know what? Those are still all part of the average PC gaming systems. I'd include the 17% or so that have intel integrated in that crappy specs portion. Or maybe they only play casual mobile phone ports that steam seems to have too many of nowadays. Still part of that average.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jun 5, 2016, 13:47 Dev

More accurately:
"One gamer decides to take on a rather unique project, turning a Game Boy Color-themed Burger King toy into a working device that plays Game Boy games."
He took the toy and put a raspberry pi into it, with emulator and roms.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 5, 2016, 13:45 Dev

Saboth wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 12:58:
Exactly. They are trying to make up for the loss in TV subscriptions by creating arbitrary limits and fees. Whereas in the past you might have paid $100-$120 for TV+internet, people are dropping TV and going with internet-only, so the companies are maybe getting only $60-$80. So now they implement caps and start charging $35-$50 if you go "over" your false cap, so they still make $100+ on the consumer. So the consumer thinks: "Hmm, I can pay $40 a month for Hulu, Netflix, Sling, then $50 for overage charges, and $75 for internet for a total of $165, or I could just sign up for that Comcast TV deal for $125, and my streaming would go back down to 200-300 GB a month and I don't have to deal with those overage fees. Essentially when you buy TV, your "streaming" (transfer of data to watch TV) is free. When you use cable to stream from other sources, you are now charged for it, meaning Comcast is giving themselves a big advantage over competitors. We were using 200-300 GB when we had internet and cable TV. Now that we cut the cord, that's more like 600-700. I would think someone would point out exempting their cable service from data transfer rates while charging all other sources of TV streaming is anti-competitive.
Or, people with a clue have the option to get Comcast business for $70 and have no caps at all. (at least in areas where it's available)

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 5, 2016, 13:35 Dev

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 5, 2016, 12:10:
Long Live the Meaningless Steam Top 10
Not meaningless. Steam has a big enough audience it can be said to be a list of what an average PC gamer is buying in a given week.
(with certain exclusions, for instance games not offered on its platform like Overwatch).

Just as the steam hardware survey can be said to be the average PC gamer install base. For instance, over half of all PC gamers own NVidia cards (twice that of ATI) so it would be wise for devs to focus on making sure those are well supported.
A surprising 40%+ of PC gamers have a dx12 capable card with win 10 (probably more due to MS's shenanigans with forcing win 10 upgrades than anything else).
Over 90% of PC gamers have 2 or more cores.
Most common display resolution for PC gamers is 1080p

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2016, 13:42.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 5, 2016, 10:43 Dev

Youtubers in top 10 for second week? heh  

News Comments > Allison Road Cancelled
1. Re: Allison Road Cancelled Jun 5, 2016, 10:42 Dev

Going to guess the team 17 deal fell through. Or IP issues  

News Comments > Hard Reset Redux Released
25. Re: Hard Reset Redux Released Jun 4, 2016, 22:24 Dev

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 4, 2016, 17:51:
Hehe, yes, let's blame it on Valve. If they can code a check whether someone owns one of the games in question then they could have certainly also coded the page to not display the "offer ends" text since it doesn't apply to owners of previous games, right?

Vaaaaaalllvvvvee u maggots... fix ur stoar!!11
I agree, yes it's fixable. But it's one minor problem that's too boring for them to fix, along with all the other major problems they continue to have in the store. No one wants to wheel their desk to the "fix store page" corner, it's lonely there.

News Comments > 100 Million Minecraft March
8. Re: 100 Million Minecraft March Jun 4, 2016, 17:03 Dev

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 13:43:
Do any of you guys have kids?

Have you walked into any Toy Store recently?

It's basically Marvel and Minecraft everywhere..

100 Million seems low to how crazy popular minecraft stuff is.
Dude, have you been in a year or two? You forgot something. Bigger than even those two is STAR WARS, being as Disney is well versed in marketing. They have the market pretty well covered from top to bottom in star wars stuff, even specifically made dollar merch for the dollar store.

23. Re: Hard Reset Redux Released Jun 4, 2016, 17:00 Dev

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 4, 2016, 12:51:
However, yeah, that is probably the generic text for the general (10%?) discount that does end on June 10th while the special owner discount continues forever. My bad. I admit it. I'm a mouthbreathing dumbfuck!
Eh, if that's the worst you are mistaken about, it's not bad at all. You admitted you were wrong and moved on, and it's a minor thing overall. And this instance is certainly not enough to classify you as a dumbf***.
I might well have assumed the same thing, but I wanted to read about what was different in the redux so I read the steam store page closer.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
36. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 4, 2016, 09:52 Dev

Quboid wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 17:50:
Microsoft provide a tool to disable selected updates so presumably with vigilance you could fine tune updates a bit more. You can also set your connection to be metered to stop auto-downloading of updates, which is a neater way of doing it.

Patching the OS is important, particularly for security. I'd like to do automatic updates but I don't trust Microsoft enough.

BTW, while researching this, I learned that you can right-click on the start button and get handy shortcuts to various system things. Neato.
BTW, that link mentions that this is only to TEMPORARILY disable patches. In most versions of windows 10 (except I think enterprise) MS WILL override that selection and force install of declined patches within several months, unless you have the LTSB version of enterprise.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
35. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 4, 2016, 09:42 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 13:02:
It's much easier to avoid Microsoft Spyware with Windows 7 than Windows 10...

Remove Window 7 Spying Updates

VS.

Microsoft Technet Article to Disable most Windows 10 phoning home

The reason the latter is an article and not a "suggested privacy tool"... is that one needs to see exactly how much work / garbage to disable to clean up windows 10. This is from Microsoft themselves!!!
Thanks for the link, I knew some of this, hadn't seen the official MS link. One thing I noticed was this article was updated just yesterday, I imagine to tweak the added crapton of additional adjustable privacy settings in one of the recent windows 10 updates. MS now claims it's sufficient added settings to configure that it can now "prevent Windows from sending any data to Microsoft"
They also beg you not to change the settings, because you will ruin, and I quote "delightful personalized" things.
One bit I knew that's nice to see confirmed by MS, is that the only way to get the complete anti-spy solution with the complete gamut of settings is to go win 10 enterprise:

However, you must use Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1511 or Windows 10 Education, version 1511 to manage them all.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2016, 10:00.

17. Re: Hard Reset Redux Released Jun 4, 2016, 05:35 Dev

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 12:13:
I'm in EU and was able to buy this just now on Steam for 3 as an owner of the original game. The 85% discount is valid until June 10th.
No, they say on the store page the discount will be FOREVER (as long as game is around).
I was going to buy it until they said that. Now it's on my wishlist waiting until I buy a batch of games on a steam sale.

Owners of any version Hard Reset receive an 85% discount on Hard Reset Redux: All owners of any digital version of the original Hard Reset will receive an 85% discount on Hard Reset Redux. This discount will go into effect today, and will last for the lifetime of the game. Please note that this discount is non-stackable though, so it cannot increase in combination with other promotions of the game.

News Comments > 100 Million Minecraft March
6. Re: 100 Million Minecraft March Jun 3, 2016, 09:24 Dev

Numinar wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 03:12:
All my friend's/relative's male kids are into this. Every. Single. One. Number almost seems too low.

I think the mobile/tablet version is the gateway that gets them badgering mum and dad for a console or PC to play "Real" Minecraft.

And it certainly deserves it. I can't think of any other game with the appeal, sophistication and possibilities of MC.
And it's creative and educational too. It's not a mindless crapper of a dumbed down game as so many popular games are.

News Comments > 7 Million Play Overwatch, Minus a Bunch of Cheaters
22. Re: 7 Million Play Overwatch, Minus a Bunch of Cheaters Jun 3, 2016, 09:23 Dev

Cpmartins wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 20:52:
It's very likely to be using one form or another of hardware banning. The HD serial number is one thing that is very hard to falsify.
Planetside 2 uses them and you'll either have to RAID your drives, use a program who has access to ring 0 (thus making it a very risky option) or buy another HD. It's quite effective, and cheating in PS2 is pretty much nonexistent as far as I'm aware.

Those lagswitching pieces of shit though...
If you mean the HD serial number assigned by software when formatting the drive, that can be changed fairly easily within windows with programs. The serial from the drive itself by reading SMART values or some such is a different matter.
They could also be going by hardware network MAC address, which is sometimes changeable but not always, and most people don't realize it. Comcast uses MACs to identify subscriber modems for instance.

News Comments > Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
32. Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 23:39 Dev

Since no one else bothered, here's a list:

Bit Trip Runner
Braid
Breach & Clear
Breach & Clear: Dead Line
Broken Sword: director's cut
FTL Advanced edition
Galactic Civilization 3
Mount & Blade
Project Zomboid
Saints Row 2
Shadowrun Returns
Sherlock Holes: Secret of the silver earring
Incredible adventures of Van Helsing Final Cut
Witcher: Enhanced edition
The Witness
To the moon
Trine Enchanted edition
Two Worlds
Unreal Gold
Unreal Tournament GOTY
vvvvv
xenonauts

News Comments > Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog
11. Re: Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog Jun 1, 2016, 00:20 Dev

Blue,
first two links are broken

News Comments > Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog
10. Re: Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog Jun 1, 2016, 00:20 Dev

So... they have so much cash from microtransactions they want to start buying companies?  

News Comments > The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch
20. Re: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch May 30, 2016, 23:40 Dev

RedEye9 wrote on May 30, 2016, 17:58:
Lord Tea wrote on May 30, 2016, 17:33:
I was surprised to see HardOCP, a site that is traditionally biased towards NV clearly showing this AMD advantage.

The amount of misinformation and inaccuracy of that sentence is actually beyond impressive, hardocp is one of the most unbiased review sites around.
Correct. The hilarious thing is if you read some of the discussion threads in the H forum whenever they review a new nvida card or a new AMD/ATI card. EVERY SINGLE THREAD has accusations of bias the one way or other, sometimes both in the same thread. Then next review comes out, and everyone claims bias the other way.
Go read the recent front page articles H posted. They wrote 2 or 3 of them in last month rightly bashing NVidia for having a confusing message and paper launch of sorts what with the whole founders edition silliness.
A few months ago, they called out AMD for a paper launch (where the AMD PR firm used those very words "paper launch"). Protip, if you don't want people to call things paper launch, don't put it in official PR lol.
So yeah, they call out both sides when it's appropriate. I think H is actually doing a pretty good job of being objective to AMD for the most part, given the crap AMD is dishing on them (among others) for basically some of AMD's head people having epeen contests.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/09/09/amd_roy_taylor_nano_press/
The hilarious thing is the AMD guy used to work at NVidia and predicted that AMD would never again have a high end card while he was there lol.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Expansion Next Week
13. Re: Elite Dangerous Expansion Next Week May 21, 2016, 13:59 Dev

DangerDog wrote on May 20, 2016, 22:31:
I wouldn't say never on a story campaign, I just don't think they have the modules in place to do it up right. Wait till you can walk around inside ships and on space stations.

Why would that be required? The original Privateer games and earlier Wing Commander games you didn't walk around inside. You had static rooms you bounced to with things you could click like the jobs computer, the weapons dealer, etc. You can do it by docking and then the UI gives you the info.
Sure it's not as nice as talking to the characters and walking around inside, but it's not needed. It's not an RPG type game in the same vein as KOTOR or Mass effect.

It might be nice, but I don't believe it's required.

6963 Comments. 349 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo