Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6934 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Hard Reset Redux Released
23. Re: Hard Reset Redux Released Jun 4, 2016, 17:00 Dev

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 4, 2016, 12:51:
However, yeah, that is probably the generic text for the general (10%?) discount that does end on June 10th while the special owner discount continues forever. My bad. I admit it. I'm a mouthbreathing dumbfuck!
Eh, if that's the worst you are mistaken about, it's not bad at all. You admitted you were wrong and moved on, and it's a minor thing overall. And this instance is certainly not enough to classify you as a dumbf***.
I might well have assumed the same thing, but I wanted to read about what was different in the redux so I read the steam store page closer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
36. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 4, 2016, 09:52 Dev

Quboid wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 17:50:
Microsoft provide a tool to disable selected updates so presumably with vigilance you could fine tune updates a bit more. You can also set your connection to be metered to stop auto-downloading of updates, which is a neater way of doing it.

Patching the OS is important, particularly for security. I'd like to do automatic updates but I don't trust Microsoft enough.

BTW, while researching this, I learned that you can right-click on the start button and get handy shortcuts to various system things. Neato.
BTW, that link mentions that this is only to TEMPORARILY disable patches. In most versions of windows 10 (except I think enterprise) MS WILL override that selection and force install of declined patches within several months, unless you have the LTSB version of enterprise.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
35. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 4, 2016, 09:42 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 13:02:
It's much easier to avoid Microsoft Spyware with Windows 7 than Windows 10...

Remove Window 7 Spying Updates

VS.

Microsoft Technet Article to Disable most Windows 10 phoning home

The reason the latter is an article and not a "suggested privacy tool"... is that one needs to see exactly how much work / garbage to disable to clean up windows 10. This is from Microsoft themselves!!!
Thanks for the link, I knew some of this, hadn't seen the official MS link. One thing I noticed was this article was updated just yesterday, I imagine to tweak the added crapton of additional adjustable privacy settings in one of the recent windows 10 updates. MS now claims it's sufficient added settings to configure that it can now "prevent Windows from sending any data to Microsoft"
They also beg you not to change the settings, because you will ruin, and I quote "delightful personalized" things.
One bit I knew that's nice to see confirmed by MS, is that the only way to get the complete anti-spy solution with the complete gamut of settings is to go win 10 enterprise:

However, you must use Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1511 or Windows 10 Education, version 1511 to manage them all.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2016, 10:00.

News Comments > Hard Reset Redux Released
17. Re: Hard Reset Redux Released Jun 4, 2016, 05:35 Dev

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 12:13:
I'm in EU and was able to buy this just now on Steam for 3 as an owner of the original game. The 85% discount is valid until June 10th.
No, they say on the store page the discount will be FOREVER (as long as game is around).
I was going to buy it until they said that. Now it's on my wishlist waiting until I buy a batch of games on a steam sale.

Owners of any version Hard Reset receive an 85% discount on Hard Reset Redux: All owners of any digital version of the original Hard Reset will receive an 85% discount on Hard Reset Redux. This discount will go into effect today, and will last for the lifetime of the game. Please note that this discount is non-stackable though, so it cannot increase in combination with other promotions of the game.

News Comments > 100 Million Minecraft March
6. Re: 100 Million Minecraft March Jun 3, 2016, 09:24 Dev

Numinar wrote on Jun 3, 2016, 03:12:
All my friend's/relative's male kids are into this. Every. Single. One. Number almost seems too low.

I think the mobile/tablet version is the gateway that gets them badgering mum and dad for a console or PC to play "Real" Minecraft.

And it certainly deserves it. I can't think of any other game with the appeal, sophistication and possibilities of MC.
And it's creative and educational too. It's not a mindless crapper of a dumbed down game as so many popular games are.

News Comments > 7 Million Play Overwatch, Minus a Bunch of Cheaters
22. Re: 7 Million Play Overwatch, Minus a Bunch of Cheaters Jun 3, 2016, 09:23 Dev

Cpmartins wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 20:52:
It's very likely to be using one form or another of hardware banning. The HD serial number is one thing that is very hard to falsify.
Planetside 2 uses them and you'll either have to RAID your drives, use a program who has access to ring 0 (thus making it a very risky option) or buy another HD. It's quite effective, and cheating in PS2 is pretty much nonexistent as far as I'm aware.

Those lagswitching pieces of shit though...
If you mean the HD serial number assigned by software when formatting the drive, that can be changed fairly easily within windows with programs. The serial from the drive itself by reading SMART values or some such is a different matter.
They could also be going by hardware network MAC address, which is sometimes changeable but not always, and most people don't realize it. Comcast uses MACs to identify subscriber modems for instance.

News Comments > Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
32. Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 23:39 Dev

Since no one else bothered, here's a list:

Bit Trip Runner
Braid
Breach & Clear
Breach & Clear: Dead Line
Broken Sword: director's cut
FTL Advanced edition
Galactic Civilization 3
Mount & Blade
Project Zomboid
Saints Row 2
Shadowrun Returns
Sherlock Holes: Secret of the silver earring
Incredible adventures of Van Helsing Final Cut
Witcher: Enhanced edition
The Witness
To the moon
Trine Enchanted edition
Two Worlds
Unreal Gold
Unreal Tournament GOTY
vvvvv
xenonauts

News Comments > Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog
11. Re: Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog Jun 1, 2016, 00:20 Dev

Blue,
first two links are broken

News Comments > Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog
10. Re: Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog Jun 1, 2016, 00:20 Dev

So... they have so much cash from microtransactions they want to start buying companies?  

News Comments > The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch
20. Re: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Patch May 30, 2016, 23:40 Dev

RedEye9 wrote on May 30, 2016, 17:58:
Lord Tea wrote on May 30, 2016, 17:33:
I was surprised to see HardOCP, a site that is traditionally biased towards NV clearly showing this AMD advantage.

The amount of misinformation and inaccuracy of that sentence is actually beyond impressive, hardocp is one of the most unbiased review sites around.
Correct. The hilarious thing is if you read some of the discussion threads in the H forum whenever they review a new nvida card or a new AMD/ATI card. EVERY SINGLE THREAD has accusations of bias the one way or other, sometimes both in the same thread. Then next review comes out, and everyone claims bias the other way.
Go read the recent front page articles H posted. They wrote 2 or 3 of them in last month rightly bashing NVidia for having a confusing message and paper launch of sorts what with the whole founders edition silliness.
A few months ago, they called out AMD for a paper launch (where the AMD PR firm used those very words "paper launch"). Protip, if you don't want people to call things paper launch, don't put it in official PR lol.
So yeah, they call out both sides when it's appropriate. I think H is actually doing a pretty good job of being objective to AMD for the most part, given the crap AMD is dishing on them (among others) for basically some of AMD's head people having epeen contests.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/09/09/amd_roy_taylor_nano_press/
The hilarious thing is the AMD guy used to work at NVidia and predicted that AMD would never again have a high end card while he was there lol.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Expansion Next Week
13. Re: Elite Dangerous Expansion Next Week May 21, 2016, 13:59 Dev

DangerDog wrote on May 20, 2016, 22:31:
I wouldn't say never on a story campaign, I just don't think they have the modules in place to do it up right. Wait till you can walk around inside ships and on space stations.

Why would that be required? The original Privateer games and earlier Wing Commander games you didn't walk around inside. You had static rooms you bounced to with things you could click like the jobs computer, the weapons dealer, etc. You can do it by docking and then the UI gives you the info.
Sure it's not as nice as talking to the characters and walking around inside, but it's not needed. It's not an RPG type game in the same vein as KOTOR or Mass effect.

It might be nice, but I don't believe it's required.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released
32. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released May 20, 2016, 10:00 Dev

ItBurn wrote on May 19, 2016, 15:06:
In my opinion, Montreal is the real mecca of video games these days and that's in Canada.
Wha?
Ubisoft is the mecca of video games these days?!

News Comments > Take-Two Financials
3. Re: Take-Two Financials May 19, 2016, 00:59 Dev

Kosumo wrote on May 18, 2016, 21:21:
Do they sell physical items form GTA? i.e. collectors models of the charactors - can you buy a twelve inch Trevor? (that sounds abit dirty)
I'm sure even if "they" don't, you can find it somewhere. Ebay, etsy, google, etc. 3d model printing is a thing too

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup
71. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 18, 2016, 09:07 Dev

HorrorScope wrote on May 17, 2016, 18:01:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 17, 2016, 16:01:
As for 4K I'm not surprised that we are still years away from true viability. I feel sorry for any early adopters who fell for the 4K marketing hype and got a 4K screen already.

Not sure about that, drop of max settings and this gen may be fine. I'm pretty confident the next round of vc's doing that you'll be golden.
Also depends on game.
Looks like new Doom runs maxed out at 4k on this card.
link

70. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 18, 2016, 08:58 Dev

Overon wrote on May 17, 2016, 17:23:
I don't get it why these niche high end graphics cards get so much press. Look at the Steam hardware surveys. Like 2% of Steam users actually have these super high end graphics card. The vast majority have midrange ones.
Because, everyone likes to read about it. Even those who don't buy it. You are reading about it. I'm reading about it (and I'm not likely to buy one that expensive). PC Gaming/hardware sites miss out on a TON of traffic (and clicks and ad revenue) if they don't have first day reviews and articles. And if NVidia is supplying the review cards for free to said web sites, then there's no downside to making those reviews.

68. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 18, 2016, 08:54 Dev

Slick wrote on May 17, 2016, 15:58:
All I can think of is how the dropped the ball with the "full" DX 12_1 revision which was bullshit, and now they STILL don't support async compute, which showed in the Ashes benchmark giving the 1080 only a 16% performance boost over the Fury X.
Per info direct from NVidia (the reviewers guide to this card):

"GTX 1080 supports Async Compute, with a number of enhancements including hardware dynamic load balancing, pixel-level graphics preemption, and instruction level compute preemption."

Screenshots of guide async section (with more details on how they support it and features of it):
link

This comment was edited on May 18, 2016, 09:01.

News Comments > Space Pirates And Zombies 2 Early Access
2. Re: Space Pirates And Zombies 2 Early Access May 18, 2016, 08:34 Dev

From what I can see on steam discussion board, many who played SPAZ1 and wants more of the same is getting disappointed, whereas if you come at it fresh you are more likely to like it. Apparently they drastically changed the game.  

News Comments > DOOM Released
77. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 19:07 Dev

Leper wrote on May 13, 2016, 13:20:
I used to pirate back in the day but it was for the reason being that I simply had no money. Now that I do, I never pirate, however paying full price is even a burden these days. You almost need price brackets just for gaming because you have your "child" gamers, "rich adult gamers" and "poor/midclass adult gamers" that find it hard to put out the extra $$$.

And you do. It's called
1. Pre-ordering / buying day 1
2. Waiting for a price drop
3. Waiting for the "bargain bin" / deep sale

Games that are shit and don't sell well get discounted quickly. This is how many industries work. You can buy a new car, a slightly used one or an old one. You can go to the movie theater, on DVD or wait for it to be on cable.

These deep discount sites are most likely selling keys meant for other regions where people don't have as much disposable income. You're basically cheating the system to get your game day 1 and at a discount. Whether you have some sort of justification for doing that is up to you, but just know the facts and that there might be subtle consequences.

Or, the alternative argument is that they weren't willing to buy it at $60 and would be waiting until the 6 month 50% sale if they couldn't buy it cheaper, and so buying it at $40 grey market actually gives the devs more money than waiting for $30 sale.

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Cheaters Banned
5. Re: Overwatch Beta Cheaters Banned May 13, 2016, 12:11 Dev

Wallshadows wrote on May 13, 2016, 10:56:
I'm not that interested in Overwatch but the fucking audacity to cheat in any closed testing where invites are limited deserves to be punished in the most extreme way. Scorched earth policy.
You forgot the part where they POSTED THE STUFF TO THE INTARWEB TO BRAG. Like people posting crimes to facebook.
Yeah ban them!

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: PP KS May 12, 2016, 10:26 Dev

RedEye9 wrote on May 11, 2016, 18:23:
The peachy printer link is hilarious.
If it sounds too good to be true...
$100 3d Printers, lol
The OLO project just finished KS with millions. It's a 3d printer for $100. (though I decided to wait until release, because yeah, it sounds pretty fantastic, and the price with shipping was basically retail price after release)

And the peachy one sounds like they were mostly there

6934 Comments. 347 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo