Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6917 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM Released
77. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 19:07 Dev

Leper wrote on May 13, 2016, 13:20:
I used to pirate back in the day but it was for the reason being that I simply had no money. Now that I do, I never pirate, however paying full price is even a burden these days. You almost need price brackets just for gaming because you have your "child" gamers, "rich adult gamers" and "poor/midclass adult gamers" that find it hard to put out the extra $$$.

And you do. It's called
1. Pre-ordering / buying day 1
2. Waiting for a price drop
3. Waiting for the "bargain bin" / deep sale

Games that are shit and don't sell well get discounted quickly. This is how many industries work. You can buy a new car, a slightly used one or an old one. You can go to the movie theater, on DVD or wait for it to be on cable.

These deep discount sites are most likely selling keys meant for other regions where people don't have as much disposable income. You're basically cheating the system to get your game day 1 and at a discount. Whether you have some sort of justification for doing that is up to you, but just know the facts and that there might be subtle consequences.

Or, the alternative argument is that they weren't willing to buy it at $60 and would be waiting until the 6 month 50% sale if they couldn't buy it cheaper, and so buying it at $40 grey market actually gives the devs more money than waiting for $30 sale.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Cheaters Banned
5. Re: Overwatch Beta Cheaters Banned May 13, 2016, 12:11 Dev

Wallshadows wrote on May 13, 2016, 10:56:
I'm not that interested in Overwatch but the fucking audacity to cheat in any closed testing where invites are limited deserves to be punished in the most extreme way. Scorched earth policy.
You forgot the part where they POSTED THE STUFF TO THE INTARWEB TO BRAG. Like people posting crimes to facebook.
Yeah ban them!

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: PP KS May 12, 2016, 10:26 Dev

RedEye9 wrote on May 11, 2016, 18:23:
The peachy printer link is hilarious.
If it sounds too good to be true...
$100 3d Printers, lol
The OLO project just finished KS with millions. It's a 3d printer for $100. (though I decided to wait until release, because yeah, it sounds pretty fantastic, and the price with shipping was basically retail price after release)

And the peachy one sounds like they were mostly there

News Comments > Op Ed
53. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2016, 01:23 Dev

Suppa7 wrote on May 7, 2016, 20:20:
Slashman wrote on May 7, 2016, 19:49:
Anybody who truly believes that Steam has not been the strongest force in ensuring the continuing health of PC gaming over the past decade is in complete denial.

Bullshit, steam enabled online DRM and normalized it. The rise of F2P games like league of legends where you can't make new levels, skins, or mod the game is total bullshit and notice more and more big releases are rebadged with marketing terms "online only" or "social game" or blizzard rebranding/telling us "diablo 3 was really meant to be an MMO"
a) Steam took us away from crazy levels of DRM like starforce, to much more reasonable levels of steam DRM. And nowadays you have GoG and humble bundle selling lots of DRM free titles.
b) That crap is mostly due to EA & actiblizz and mobile games. Basically the crazier and greedier grabs for money keep getting worse, and people don't stop buying them but just keep sucking it up, so it keeps getting worse. Steam didn't cause that.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed May 7, 2016, 11:55 Dev

Valve only cares about things that affect their bottom line. And of course when things take them away from their current wheeled desk location of choice.
Their favorite solution (aside from just eliminating any problematic feature entirely) is letting community do their job for them (which is brilliant really, it doesn't cost valve anything). Such as greenlight, since approving games was a boring job, valve got tired of doing it (read their press release on greenlight they outright admit this). The review thing is another example of this.

Ah well, even given all valve's problems, I still prefer them over basically any other top tier publisher. My 1k or 2k steam games says the same thing.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
14. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 7, 2016, 11:13 Dev

Luke wrote on May 7, 2016, 09:44:
And with all those hardcore spec games it is needed..... Book
Not too many game challenge modern cards, it's more when you do 4k modern gaming all details on with multimonitors. Then even the multi thousand dollar SLI rigs can struggle.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 6, 2016, 08:59 Dev

Luke wrote on May 6, 2016, 05:07:
Linksil wrote on May 6, 2016, 02:43:
Does this mean It will finally remove that damn box from the corner of the screen without hacking your own ini's. Oh wait it means they're just going to force upgrade everyone that hasn't.

Houston we got a problem forced upgrade
No problem from MS's view. They will force the upgrade then after upgrade will prompt you to pay or else it will go into limited time trial, then expired mode.

They've done all sorts of other douche moves around win 10, I'm expecting them to do a few more.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Ban Wave Catches Pros
11. Re: Team Fortress 2 Ban Wave Catches Pros May 1, 2016, 11:29 Dev

ForgedReality wrote on Apr 30, 2016, 21:39:
This is one of my favorite games. I've played since 2007, when it wasn't free, and you got it in the Orange Box. I have almost 1500 hours in it. I swear I'd have more, but I think I reset my stats at some point.
Do you mean in game time or steam shown time? Steam didn't start tracking time for the first few years, which can't be reset. TF2 had an internal time tracking mechanism before that as I recall (the one that shows on map loading screens) which is the one you can reset.

News Comments > Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter Paused
62. Re: Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter Paused Apr 30, 2016, 09:56 Dev

Beamer wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 12:59:
Regardless, they got $131,000 in 3 days. If they ramped like Wasteland 2 or Shadowruns Returns, they'd be around $700-$800k. Barely making it. Late pushes as they were close, though, could probably nearly guarantee it.
Probably they didn't want to get just minimum, one of those projects where minimum wouldn't actually cover making the game and would fail 2 years later when they ran out of money.

News Comments > Hearthstone Whispers of the Old Gods Released
11. Re: Hearthstone Whispers of the Old Gods Released Apr 27, 2016, 22:50 Dev

I'm giving this a try, first time playing the game. How do I get the 3 free packs from expansion? I'm playing some of the practice stuff and tutorial  

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 16:16 Dev

Quboid wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 16:03:
Eirikrautha wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 15:00:
Finally, someone with some reading comprehension skills!
Reading more than the blurb; it's like a cheat code for the Internet.
Wait what? There's someone who actually RTFA?

News Comments > RDR2 Map Leaked?
12. Re: RDR2 Map Leaked? Apr 16, 2016, 17:14 Dev

Even if they do a PC version it will be a couple years after milking the money from consoles, like they do with GTA.

So yawn, wake me when they release the game and POSSIBLY put out a PC version in a few years. Maybe 2020 there will be more info on a PC version of RDR2.

Or maybe they will screw all their PC fans again (even though they started as a PC game company).

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 15, 2016, 22:04 Dev

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 14:15:
I don't get how others even notice other people texting, it's silent and the light is inconsequential.
But it's not. Lots of people leave the "beep at every letter pressed on keyboard" option on. And lots of people leave cellphone background set to maximum to see it during the day, without thinking about battery usage.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2016, 21:44 Dev

Anyone else notice this tech is from Cellebrite? Interesting  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 10, 2016, 22:18 Dev

Then maybe... he should use a car? Noise canceling headphones? Earplugs?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 4, 2016, 23:33 Dev

Fascinating, under $100 for those server CPUs!  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 4, 2016, 09:40 Dev

Awesome story!

Sadly, the worker is liable to get in trouble, because he said he did it on his own time (not on behalf of Sony!), and the electronic communication he sent said that he couldn't modify it but was sending him a goody box. Only in the goodie box was the handwritten note.

Those are both hints that "hey dude, don't tell anyone, here's the official line, but on the down low I did this for you"

He should have never posted this on facebook unless he had permission from the worker to post it. Looking at the facebook posts, you can already see that people are thinking the company did it, not the worker on his own time. And the ignorant people posting things like that are just handing Sony more ammo to fire the guy. And that's why Sony wouldn't support a one off like this. Lots more people will expect it, and it hasn't gone through their Q&A.

I bet Sony will fire this guy, rather than take this work that was done and offer alternative controllers. Plus, if the guy used company funds and parts, that would make it worse.

Edit: Even nin's post below attributes it to "them" rather than "him"

News Comments > Fool Me Once 2016
13. Re: Fool Me Once 2016 Apr 1, 2016, 21:03 Dev

Bumpy wrote on Apr 1, 2016, 18:49:
So idiots hit Mic Drop instead of Send and cry about it. Typical blame something else besides themselves society.
When they replace buttons on the normal interface that usually do something else... and there's no feedback telling them they just blocked people from replying back to them so no one can email them to tell them what they did... yeah I'd say that's a reason to cry. That guy who lost a job, he'd probably have a legitimate court case.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 27, 2016, 12:38 Dev

Nice to see Factorio on there!  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 24, 2016, 02:00 Dev

Jivaro wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 23:55:
School districts here in the states don't pay teachers well enough
[...]
The unions have been largely unable to do anything about it.
Oh I definitely agree with that first point, it goes to administration etc instead of teachers. Teachers are way underpaid. IT IS REDICULOUS THAT ANY TEACHERS SHOULD EVER BUY SCHOOL SUPPLIES FOR KIDS.

But the second point depends on state. In California the teachers union is one of largest and strongest in nation. Here we have the problem that we can't get rid of the worst teachers.

6917 Comments. 346 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo