Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 7065 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 10, 2017, 09:26 Dev

Lol, now the companies are going to fight the throttle limit by raising by a GB or two every few months. Hilarious.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews
35. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 23:07 Dev

Used to be that ATI and NVidia would alternate crowns. Nvidia would release the fastest thing ever, then a couple months later, ATI would, then a few months later cycle would repeat.

Nvidia just showed they are minimum of one release cycle ahead of ATI, and just lapped them in the race lol.
(unless ATI releases something beyond amazing for vega)

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews
34. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 22:56 Dev

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 16:33:
Alamar wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 16:20:
I had no idea the 1080 was rated higher than the 980 Ti, and I'm very disappointed to learn that...

Is this sarcasm? I thought it was common knowledge.
Incidentally, I find this site incredibly useful when deciding if I want to finally break down and upgrade:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
Last update was Feb, so it doesn't have the 1080 ti yet, but it will shortly. Also has intel integrated (though oddly they recently removed the mobile chips, they used to have those in there)

I went to a 1070 (2nd tier before today) card, from a 470 which is a difference of 7 tiers. I got a asus strix OC for right around $400 with tax, which I think is a good deal, since it's cherry picked and factory OC.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 9, 2017, 22:19 Dev

Orogogus wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 14:34:
The 2007 rule, and CPNI in general, applies to phone services (including VoIP services from ISPs) and information gleaned from that, not browsing data.

CPNI is defined as ď(A) information that relates to the quantity, technical configuration, type, destination, location, and amount of use of a telecommunications service subscribed to by any customer of a telecommunications carrier, and that is made available to the carrier by the customer solely by virtue of the carrier-customer relationship; and (B) information contained in the bills pertaining to telephone exchange service or telephone toll service received by a customer of a carrier

Also, I don't think the wiki page is accurate, in that whole section marked as requiring clean-up. Opt-out used to be specifically for sharing data with other communications companies, and only for the purpose of marketing communications-related services. But the 2007 regulation you cite changed it to opt-in --- not the other way around:

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-22A1.pdf - p3

Joint Venture and Independent Contractor Use of CPNI. We modify our rules to require carriers to obtain opt-in consent from a customer before disclosing a customerís CPNI to a carrierís joint venture partners or independent contractors for the purposes of marketing communications related services to that customer.

You can see the industry fighting tooth and nail on pp23-27.

But you're correct that there's no protection in place on your browsing data -- that's what just got shot down. As far as I know there's not even any opt-out option for data.
It applies to "telecommunications" related services, and fairly sure ISP's can be covered under that. Even if not, they certainly can be if you use your smartphone on cell service.
And the CPNI containing "destination" info, that could cover URLs if they want.
That other bit you quoted, that's for independent contractor usage. If they do it with any other "communications" related company (I dunno, if I sell a voicemailbox in my office to my brother for $1 and make the other $1 million per month on selling CPNI, am I communications related?), then the opt out applies.

Footnote 137 for you:
"We note that this minor modification to our rules does not affect the opt-out regime for intra-company use of
CPNI beyond the total service approach, or the disclosure of CPNI to a carrierís agents or affiliates that provide
communications-related services."

There's some discussion as to if they have to provide a notice about the opt out thing before selling the info, but that is kinda moot, how many people pay attention to those privacy update notices they mail out? I do, but I doubt much of anyone else does.

Edit:
You can also note at the end
"Appendix B
Final Rules
Subpart U of Part 64, of Title 47 of the Code of Federal Regulations is amended to read as follows:"
[...]
"Section 64.2007 is amended by deleting paragraphs (b)(2) and (b)(3), and revising paragraph
(b)(1) to read as follows:
(b) Use of Opt-Out and Opt-In Approval Processes. A telecommunications carrier may, subject
to opt-out approval or opt-in approval, use its customerís individually identifiable CPNI for
the purpose of marketing communications-related services to that customer. A
telecommunications carrier may, subject to opt-out approval or opt-in approval, disclose its
customerís individually identifiable CPNI, for the purpose of marketing communicationsrelated
services to that customer, to its agents and its affiliates that provide communicationsrelated
services."

Note the part that says they can choose OPT OUT ?

This was changed recently by the FCC a few months ago to opt in. But might now be rolled back.
Link to the few months ago changes that might get rolled back (in which case the above opt out would take effect again)
[url=https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/10/isps-will-soon-have-to-ask-you-before-sharing-private-data-with-advertisers/
]Arstechnica link[/url]
text of the current law as of a few months ago (unless it gets rolled back!)
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/64.2004

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2017, 22:42.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Mar 9, 2017, 22:08 Dev

Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 19:55:
This weeks Humble Bundle is freakin awesome so make sure to check it out!
Which one? Jumbo bundle #8? Or the arma one? Why is it awesome, what am I missing?

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 9, 2017, 22:07 Dev

Try again MS. Pretty sure I got all the ones I wanted already in steam for less than the $20 you are charging.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 9, 2017, 09:24 Dev

They pretty much already can.
The decision to allow communications related companies (phone or ISP or others) to sell your CPNI (stuff that normally requires a warrant for anyone else to see) and that you had to "opt out" of allowing them instead of the previous opt in was made like a decade ago. The communications industry basically sued to make this change decades ago and it happened in 2007.
This new privacy regulation that would have prevented some of that hasn't even taken effect. The headline should read "New Bill would continue a decade long practice to let communications companies sell your browsing data" But that's too long.
There's been NO changes, so if you are threatening to change your habits, why didn't you when this a decade ago when the changing from opt in to opt out decision was actually done?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer_proprietary_network_information
Info on CPNI, the 2007 regulation, etc.
Also note the quote in there from Verizon saying they will give out info on your URLs.
This actually includes far more than just URLs, it includes any call history, your address, your phone number, your social security, anything they know about you.
I think I've even posted about this before on Blues, when I've seen related stories years ago.

At the very least, everyone with even a tiny bit of privacy interest should call any communications related companies they use and ask them not to share CPNI (customer proprietary network information), since it's opt out sharing.

News Comments > LEGO Worlds Released
2. Re: LEGO Worlds Released Mar 8, 2017, 09:38 Dev

Careful, sounds like from the release v1 reviews they removed the sandbox "creative mode" and now it's way worse performance, like v1 ruined the promising early access game.  

News Comments > Ion Cancelled
7. Re: Ion Cancelled Mar 8, 2017, 09:35 Dev

So, they are canceling the game that was going to showcase their new platform? How are they going to sell the platform then?

Or am I reading this wrong?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 5, 2017, 20:11 Dev

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 18:34:
but I did play the PVK2 map that inspired it. I'm a bit disappointed that Blackwake doesn't have the kraken like in the PVK2 map, which will randomly eat one of the ships if time runs out in sudden death. If both ships/crews get eaten, there is a second round sudden death inside of the kraken's belly with the remaining crews battling it out on what's left of their ships. One of the most fun game modes I've played.
The F2P game Pirates, Vikings, and Knights II ?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/17570/

News Comments > AMD Ryzen Reviews
86. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 5, 2017, 11:38 Dev

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 15:38:
Dev wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 09:37:
I'm in a similar boat. BUT, fortunately I found out there's a PCIE bus adapter that you can use m.2 drives with, with zero loss in performance (since there's no controller chip slowing things, just a direct bus interface).
So I'm looking at putting the Samsung 960 pro or evo into my older system.
Note: Only thing you miss out on is BOOTING to the m.2 (since it's mobo support that's needed). However, you can work around that, including by sticking a usb boot sector on a thumbdrive into a USB port that then boots the m.2

All true, just keep in mind there are different kinds of M.2 cards and slot types. For the drives you want to make sure to get NVME over SATA as you don't get the benefits of avoiding a SATA controller otherwise (higher sequential speeds, much higher I/O operations, lower latencies, less CPU overhead, etc). The two you mention are NVME, I'm just pointing that out for other people. Of course, NVME drives are expensive as hell, with Intel's 600p being the cheapest but not very great. Keep in mind M.2 drives have the tendency to overheat and will throttle when they do so - so consider your cooling situation with regard to the PCI-e slot.
Yeah, I know, get the NVME version of m.2 otherwise it's pointless, the whole confusing bit about m.2 only being a physical form factor. Avoiding anything that says SATA m.2
Anyway, that's specifically why I mentioned samsung 960 pro or evo. And although you say they are expensive, they really aren't too bad unless you want top of the line. Samsung 960 evo 512gb is only $250 or so, or 250gb for $130

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Free Trial
24. Re: Shroud of the Avatar Free Trial Mar 5, 2017, 11:31 Dev

I think part of what we are finding is how poorly some old names do at managing or being in charge of their own projects/companies.
Turns out that sometimes, publishers controlling the money and milestones do have a purpose.
Creative types aren't always the best at managing.
I'm also including valve here, they really should subcontract out work on their games.
Plus good ole lucas with Star Wars.

But on the other hand, some people ARE showing their skills. Firaxis, and Brian Fargo (though he already showed skill at Interplay), etc.

81. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 4, 2017, 09:49 Dev

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 12:52:
Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 10:55:
the real question for gamers is how the $259 6-core will compare to the $300 i5 model

The 7600K is $199 at Microcenter right now, was $219 at Fry's, and has been relegated to $239 status at Amazon (going down during sales). Not sure where you get the $300 figure.
Microcenter sells CPUs at a loss figuring they are drawing you in to buy the other parts there, which is why they don't sell them online at that price.
But if you are near one, you are set!

80. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 4, 2017, 09:37 Dev

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 12:08:
Mine is older. i7 980x @ 4.6ghz. No issues here or really reasons to upgrade. Doing so would require a whole new build. Really the only thing I'd look forward to in that is an m.2 drive, which are pretty damn sweet.
I'm in a similar boat. BUT, fortunately I found out there's a PCIE bus adapter that you can use m.2 drives with, with zero loss in performance (since there's no controller chip slowing things, just a direct bus interface).
So I'm looking at putting the Samsung 960 pro or evo into my older system.
Note: Only thing you miss out on is BOOTING to the m.2 (since it's mobo support that's needed). However, you can work around that, including by sticking a usb boot sector on a thumbdrive into a USB port that then boots the m.2

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2017, 09:55.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 26, 2017, 19:32 Dev

Fantaz wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 18:10:
the modders got what what they expected, trying to charge money for a mod...
Yeah, not sure what they expected lol

News Comments > For Honor Cheaters Banned
18. Re: BB Feb 26, 2017, 02:12 Dev

Prez wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 00:07:
I'm sure I've played with many cheaters over the years, but not being particularly saavy at spotting such things (sucking so bad at multiplayer games makes me assume everyone is just that much better than me) I never really noticed one outright. The other day, however, I came across a VERY obvious cheater in Overwatch. I wasn't angry so much as intrigued - I wondered what satisfaction someone could get from winning in an unfair match. But I suppose it's an extreme extension of the "power fantasy" thing that many gamers like.
I think part of it is like trolling. Part is wanting to "own" people. I suspect some of the same reasons apply as to why people do swatting. And part of it is outright wanting to ruin the game for others, I remember years ago hearing the infamous mygot cheating group outright said publically that's why they did it. I dunno if they are around anymore lol

News Comments > ZeniMax Seeks Rift Injunction
22. Re: ZeniMax Seeks Rift Injunction Feb 25, 2017, 15:51 Dev

Dacote wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 15:29:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 15:25:
And Trumps brother is part of the board You can't make this shit up that's how absurd it is. It's not just nepotism, it's elitist class-focused scumbags pushing each other into jobs where they don't belong. Creating in essence a caste system

Jimmy Hoffa is a silent partner. Creating in nonsense a casket-less system. spooky
Actually, he is. I googled before posting sarcastic replies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZeniMax_Media
ZeniMax's Board of Directors consists of eight individuals:
[...]
Robert S. Trump (President, Trump Management, Inc.)

Edit:
Also
https://www.zenimax.com/about

Although to me, it's just as interesting that the board of directors includes people like:
Jerry Bruckheimer
Leslie Moonves

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 21, 2017, 23:24 Dev

Nothing is worth your life!  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Feb 21, 2017, 23:19 Dev

Blue,
What's that blank 5th item? Inquiring minds want to know

News Comments > Origin Access Free Trial
43. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 15, 2017, 22:32 Dev

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/origin-access/vault-games
List of games
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 20:45:
Leave out the common predictable BN themes...

It seems like a very solid deal. I doubt I'll bite but I do wonder if you are using this do you get the Supreme Versions or just the base versions and have to pay for the extra goodies?
See the list above. The ones I saw were deluxe, or ultimate editions.

Note: In terms of Sims, of course they only have sims 3 and not even all the expansions for that. Heck, tons of people would pay $50 a year for a subscription to just sims alone.

7065 Comments. 354 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo