Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 7184 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > EA and AI, E-I-E-I-O
19. Re: EA and AI, E-I-E-I-O Mar 24, 2018, 13:46 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 17:41:
Dev wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 06:31:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 01:45:
maddog wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 00:08:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 18:57:
Very cool. I've been looking for a BF2 AIX replacement for a decade. This shows promise.

I made navmeshes for some of the maps in the AIX mod (bot name pc_load_letter). Glad to see people are still playing and enjoying the mod.

Was sad that the team broke up shortly after the release.

AIX is the best non-scripted single player experience I've had. I love it and have been looking for a replacement for a decade.

If I've never heard of this, where can I find info, and will it work with my old steam version of BF2?

Hey Dev, AIX 2.0 is at moddb. I'm using it with the Steam version of BF2.
Thanks!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 24, 2018, 13:45 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 17:35:
Right, at the very least the AI should have slammed on the brakes even if it ended up running into her. A person can survive getting hit at 15MPH, but 39MPH is unlikely. There's a major issue that needs to be addressed.

The interesting thing will be to find out whether Uber was aware of it before this woman was killed.
Exactly, it should have at least tried, it should have activated the brakes at some point.
But noooo, if I'm saying this I'm saying "conspiracy theories" according to another poster in this thread.

News Comments > Open World Star Wars Game Plans?
1. Re: Open World Star Wars Game Plans? Mar 24, 2018, 13:42 Dev

I'd go for it... if it didn't suck and wasn't too money grabbing.
Then again, this is EA we are talking about

News Comments > More Star Control Follow-up
2. Re: More Star Control Follow-up Mar 23, 2018, 21:47 Dev

Blue,
I think your cert is expiring today.

Seems like a very fair and equitable offer, definitely not one sided. And Stardock probably would have been open to negotiating it too, instead of taking it straight to lawyers.

fawker wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 18:46:
If you don't have the original characters in the game, it's not star control.
Sure it is. Stardock said they would have things occur in a different area of the universe, with new aliens, and none of the original out of respect to Paul & Fred (and possibly legal reasons).

I se three possible outcomes:
1) It wouldn't surprise me if P&F entirely lost all rights if they don't have everything perfectly documented to support the claims they are coming up with (which is unlikely given the stickiness of this IP rights), and in that case they will be left with nothing and I doubt stardock will be willing to let them do anything after this debacle. That would suck, I'd rather see and buy two star control type games.
2) Stardock loses everything... but then P&F fail to produce anything for another decade or ever, because they are soured on all of this from the legal dispute, I mean look at their track record of letting this sit idle.
3) Status quo, both sides have something, and end up where they already are... and worse for the wear because of expenses and other things. I still suspect P&F wouldn't release anything.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 23, 2018, 13:46 Dev

Cutter wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 12:03:
Yeah, the original footage doesn't jibe with what those other guys were showing. As some people have stated a lot of people seem to believe Uber has been rigging the cameras like this precisely for this very reason. And given their track record of what a horrendous company they are I tend to agree. Cops on the take here too?

I saw a comment that the blacks in the video were unnaturally black when checked in photoshop, food for thought.
Also, the lidar and other sensors should have seen this person before visible light. (unless they are skimping on sensors?)
Sure, maybe the car couldn't have stopped before hitting person... but at the speed it was going, dropping 10 mph would have improved survivability an enormous amount (I forget the number, but it would have changed from most likely fatal to most likely survivable). Also, what about swerving to avoid?

Something sketchy about all this.

News Comments > EA and AI, E-I-E-I-O
12. Re: EA and AI, E-I-E-I-O Mar 23, 2018, 06:31 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 01:45:
maddog wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 00:08:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 18:57:
Very cool. I've been looking for a BF2 AIX replacement for a decade. This shows promise.

I made navmeshes for some of the maps in the AIX mod (bot name pc_load_letter). Glad to see people are still playing and enjoying the mod.

Was sad that the team broke up shortly after the release.

AIX is the best non-scripted single player experience I've had. I love it and have been looking for a replacement for a decade.

If I've never heard of this, where can I find info, and will it work with my old steam version of BF2?

News Comments > Star Control Wars
5. Re: Star Control Wars Mar 23, 2018, 00:27 Dev

P&F should have never initiated the legal route. The IP for this is complicated (part of why no one tried to use it before). They could have both had popular star control games, and I certainly would have bought both.

Stardock has like a year or more of development and other costs already in this, they aren't going to give it up, but they were willing to let them use the original aliens and not touch that universe.

F&P have what, an announcement? As much as I love the original SC2, I really think they started a crapstorm that's not going to end happy for anyone.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 20, 2018, 08:56 Dev

theglaze wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 02:28:
...when a female walking outside of the crosswalk crossed the road from west to east...

So a human was behaving irrationally, and the driving algorithms failed to anticipate and proactively avoid the collision?

IMO, that's how most accidents happen with human drivers...

But as they say in the article, this is THE test case for car driving software that everyone works on and tests, and there's multiple sensors etc, that should have detected even if she was wearing black, not in headlight area, and a human driver wouldn't have seen.

That being said, look up from your phones once in a while people and use the crosswalk!

News Comments > LEGO The Incredibles Revealed
2. Re: LEGO The Incredibles Revealed Mar 19, 2018, 12:09 Dev

I'd buy it, I love the lego games  

News Comments > HTC VIVE Pro Preorders
1. Re: HTC VIVE Pro Preorders Mar 19, 2018, 10:16 Dev

4.6 megapixel vs 3.5 megapixel, and better sound for what, twice the current price of the non pro once you add in all the extras needed?

And no, I'm not looking to pay monthly for anything.

Doesn't sound like an amazing thing

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2018, 22:37 Dev

dubfanatic wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 20:38:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 18:53:
Who the hell is still buying PUBG at this point, or is it all banned people getting new accounts?

Could be. The daily max CCUs have been on a downtrend since January. More people are getting fed up with Bunghole's constant screw-ups, terrible PR and inability to control cheaters than are picking the game up now. They're going to have to turn it around fast before an experienced dev house drinks their milkshake.

They did implement the server ping grouping thing, so hopefully that will help control the Chinese being most of the people on the US servers

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2018, 15:46 Dev

xXStellarDadXx wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 13:01:
PUBG no.1 for a year now me thinks?
March 23rd 2017 for early access release looks like, and Feb 27 2017 for closed beta

http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements?p=13

So one more week for a year of pubg. Not sure how long it's been top of sales list, but it's been close to that I believe. I know once it hit there it's never gone down.
I believe it is at least 30 million sales on PC (I think all were through steam)

Not exactly a flash in the pan. Even the other big boys like skyrim/fallout etc usually fall off the top spot and only re-hit it when there's sales.

News Comments > Myst Series Coming to Windows 10
12. Re: Myst Series Coming to Windows 10 Mar 18, 2018, 01:46 Dev

Creston wrote on Mar 17, 2018, 22:14:
Not only did it become the best selling PC game of the 20th century

Jesus fucking Christ, how sad is that.
Not at all. Was a simpler time, and at the time it was amazing graphics (didn't it have video sequences?), showcasing the new CD format and how much one could store, instead of floppy disks. Games at the time maxed at like 30 megs from 10 disks, and bang all of a sudden you could put 650 megs on a CD.

Prior to that Wing Commander was a showcase game, good ole 640k ram and DOS.

Nowdays it's often whatever is the flavor of the month for FPS games that one would show off, or a VR game, in terms of graphics.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Mar 17, 2018, 15:23 Dev

Best way into any industry... networking
I know it's hard for us introverts, but get out there and meet people in the industry.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 17, 2018, 09:17 Dev

HP has another option for infrequent print users, you can get 15 pages a month of print free with any printer on their instant ink thing. Along with free cartridges.

Just read the fine print, they will charge you if you go over and they monitor the printer.

I've not tried it but thinking about it.

News Comments > Valve Plans to Make Games
52. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 16, 2018, 09:21 Dev

I like to sometimes believe there's actual reasons behind the lack of HL3, rather than just valve being too lazy with the flat management structure and desks wheeled out of that group... Maybe I have too much faith in humankind.

So it's possible they've been developing HL3 VR for years, thinking that will be the title that gets VR mass market appeal.

News Comments > Valve Plans to Make Games
51. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 16, 2018, 09:14 Dev

How did I miss this thread?!

Prez wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 10:48:
Handle both at once? Are you trying to imply that they currenrly are adequately handling the running of their digital distribution service? Because that would be funny. Hysterically, ironically funny. Have you SEEN the garbage you are selling Valve? Have you checked into how your customer service operates? Have you observed the behavior of the many cretins you allow to sell their crap on it? If by "handling" you mean making lots of money while doing as little as humanly possible, then okay, you're handling it I guess. I just don't see this mechanism crossing over into game development though. I'm not a developer but I know enough to know that for a game to be made, someone has to actually DO something at some point.

Oh I completely agree, and in fact all their moves in last years can be seen as avoiding work (they straight out said in the greenlight announcement that they wanted community doing boring work for them).

They'd actually have to wheel their desks away from the TF2 hats floor though to do it.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal?
21. Re: NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal? Mar 12, 2018, 08:14 Dev

killer_roach wrote on Mar 11, 2018, 18:18:
Warskull wrote on Mar 11, 2018, 13:45:
This sounds like a seriously anti-competitive move. The brand is a huge issue. If Nvidia is pushing companies like Asus to stop using the Asus name with AMD cards that is a big issue.

That said, how legal the arrangement is really can't be evaluated clearly until somebody actually tests its limits, whether by creating an AMD-centric sub-brand (which could bring this into the grounds of antitrust if Nvidia tried enforcing their rules based on that) or directly with one of their existing brands (which would effectively rule it moot if Nvidia let it go).

As for the other cases in that decision square, a sub-brand that Nvidia lets go would leave the existing agreement in relatively murky legal ground (albeit much more cleanly defined) and an in-brand effort that Nvidia goes after could potentially be ruled as legitimate by the courts (although such a judgment could provide guidance as to the legal interpretation of the program going forward).

Smartest/shadiest thing NVidia could do is adjust allocation of new cards to minimum to punish someone doing that... hard to prove.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal?
15. Re: NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal? Mar 11, 2018, 04:31 Dev

loomy wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 12:15:
this is typical kyle. he's vindictive and when a company crosses him he goes after them for years. the bigger story is counting up the number of hit pieces he's done

Except... he actually has a point most of the time.
Has phantom labs ever produced anything yet? Hasn't it been a decade or more?
Wasn't AMD pulling some crap and being deceitful about their latest chip last year? It didn't come anywhere close to beating NVidia, and many of the ones that claimed to be VR, couldn't handle the load.
Wasn't NVidia cheating on benchmarks like a decade ago? (and AMD too as I recall, just not as much).

The funny thing is, I know Kyle is legit, because he gets accused of being Pro NVidia/Anti amd with one review, then the next review he gets accused of being pro amd/anti NVidia, if you get accused of being a fanboy/hater of both sides simultaneously, you probably aren't

Also, their power supply reviews are one of the few that I trust (the others are johnnyguru). Most of the other sites have crap like "well I touched the pins with a voltmeter, and the case is shiny!"

News Comments > White House Games Summit Details
22. Re: White House Games Summit Details Mar 9, 2018, 09:42 Dev

re: his 11 year old son, "How is it possible?"

It's possible because YOU (the parent of your son) BUY & ALLOW him to watch/play that kinda stuff! If it says rated M or AO... maybe don't let him play at 11 years old?!

I'm surprised there's no other comments about this quote blue put in above

7184 Comments. 360 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo