Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 7104 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2017, 22:20 Dev

MeanJim wrote on Jul 12, 2017, 20:17:
I've had my share of annoyances with Win10, but I haven't experienced any of those problems.
Does your workflow include what he describes? Such as 3 screens including one from a laptop, and hiding taskbars?

MS is pretty terrible at testing their crap, especially when it's not default. Like I've tried the whole accessibility thing with having stuff at 125% and it's terrible. MS's own products don't comply with that setting and frequently have screwed up dialog boxes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
45. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 12, 2017, 01:16 Dev

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 20:27:
but I'd have thought a smartphone would probably be too low power so the worst thing would be the lights in the house go out as the fuse shorts out and the phone dies but not the person.
Yep anything electrical basically that's plugged into wall..
That's the point of the EFI circuits, to have a circuit breaker that trips earlier to save your life.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 10, 2017, 00:12 Dev

Saboth wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 22:34:
I wonder if once this Etherium thing crashes and burns if the markets will be flooded with used high-end video cards for cheap. I can't imagine these people would want to sit on 5, 10, 20 video cards once they are making a $1 a day. Better to sell the cards and get some of their money back, than wait until a year or two when the cards are selling for 1/2 of what they paid.
That's what the article speculates.
If so, I look forward to it.

News Comments > Project Space Sector Renamed; Preorders Soon
7. Re: Project Space Sector Renamed; Preorders Soon Jul 4, 2017, 09:57 Dev

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 23:29:
"Random tech trees"? Pass.
Even the great MOO2 offered that as an option

News Comments > More on PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Success
10. Re: More on PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Success Jun 26, 2017, 02:24 Dev

Overon wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 14:21:
Get ready for a shitload of clones in this new sub genre.
I thought there already was lots of lesser clones of this kinda game?

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jun 24, 2017, 00:29 Dev

Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2017, 21:41:
Snagged Jalopy too but refunded it after 90 mins. It's not bad, but it's way too minimalist for my taste and doesn't seem like there's really much of anything to do.
I have a friend who went nuts into My Summer Car when I gave it to him for Christmas. Might be worth checking out if you are into that category.

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 4M
6. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 4M Jun 24, 2017, 00:27 Dev

Week after week of top steam charts... actually has meaning. In this case, 4 million copies meaning.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Thursday
31. Re: Steam Summer Sale Thursday Jun 21, 2017, 22:54 Dev

ItBurn wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 21:41:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 21:33:

Oh. And fuck Valve in advance for still not being able to properly scale up their network to meet the demands of a sale onslaught. Losers.

I never had a problem playing games during Steam sales. The store page is always completely f'ed though.
Different servers. Content/authentication vs frontend web servers.

They used to have a content server status one could check for more info. And yes EVERY SINGLE BIG VALVE SALE they have issues with the web servers or processing the payments, etc. It's sad and only the first couple times excusable. After it's gone on many years with plenty of data to predict size of sales growth? Not so much

News Comments > John Guthrie Leaves Valve?
11. Re: John Guthrie Leaves Valve? Jun 17, 2017, 11:31 Dev

MajorD wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 11:17:
2) Valve decided to quietly walk away from developing/releasing games and let the cash cow (Steam) roll in the money, which forced all these talented people to say, "F this, if you're not in the business of making great games anymore, we're out of here!"

Sad, I wonder if 'The Freeman' will ever show his face again.

There is no "valve decided" you speak as if everyone is under a central direction. Valve has a flat management structure, no one is in charge of anything, they just wheel desks over to what sounds interesting.

Sadly, this is not at all good for getting games out. But it's fun to work there I'm sure!

IMHO, they need to subcontract out game development to a 3rd party to get the stuff done if they aren't going to bother.

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Ends; Steam Direct Next Week
3. Re: Steam Greenlight Ends; Steam Direct Next Week Jun 6, 2017, 22:19 Dev

Prez wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 21:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 20:21:
Greenlight by any other name...

I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think the same thing. Greenlight was $100 submission fee and zero curation. Direct has 100$ submission fee and Valve has essentially admitted there will be no curation by them.

But without any community voting... so less overall curation

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 3, 2017, 12:27 Dev

mag wrote on Jun 3, 2017, 10:35:

These are the same prices that Micro Center has been selling them at since release. It's just Amazon cutting prices to match the rest of the market.
You realize those are below cost, right? That's why micro center only sells CPUs locally, not online. They want people to come in for bundles so they can make up the costs.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 1, 2017, 00:32 Dev

NKD wrote on May 31, 2017, 18:16:
Cutter wrote on May 31, 2017, 12:38:
Fuck Doctorow. Typical lazy parasite that wants to work once and get paid forever. In what universe is copyright for life plus 50 years fair or sensible? I so fucking hate that dick and his dick site.

Man I love these Cutter posts where he takes a strong opinion on an article he didn't read or understand. His personal attack on Doctorow is nonsensical because Doctorow doesn't support lengthy copyrights.

Also it's two proposals. The industry one where they spy on all your traffic to stop you from uploading anything copyrighted. Or the sensible one where copyright is capped (sure it's still long, but it's progress!) and your media is inheritable by your family.

News Comments > Old Steam Forums Closing
2. Re: Old Steam Forums Closing May 30, 2017, 22:08 Dev

Alamar wrote on May 30, 2017, 20:43:
Deleting them? What a lack of forethought...
Well since it was done by random guy on a wheeled desk, and he had no management to tell him otherwise...

Then again, management probably would have told him the same if it existed.

The best thing to do would have been to give plenty of notice in case someone wanted to archive, or migrate it. Like I'm sure I've participated in valuable discussions while I was there on old games, but I have no time to search before the deadline.

News Comments > New Intel CPU Announcements
35. Re: New Intel CPU Announcements May 30, 2017, 17:07 Dev

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 30, 2017, 13:24:
Ok serious question since I haven't been keeping up on cores/threads in at least 5 years.

What exactly would an 18 core, 36 thread chip be useful for? Wouldn't most gaming not take advantage of any of that?

This would be a chip for rendering and compiling right?
Correct, see this exhaustive review of Ryzen vs intel:
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/05/26/definitive_amd_ryzen_7_realworld_gaming_guide
Basically single core performance and IPC still rules for gaming.

News Comments > Friday the 13th: The Game Launch Hits Bad Luck
6. Re: Friday the 13th: The Game Launch Hits Bad Luck May 30, 2017, 01:50 Dev

aka_STEVE wrote on May 29, 2017, 15:31:
Our hopes & prayers go out to the total of 5 people who bought this and can't play now..... Gossip
Part of the problems (I RTFA) was they planned for 30k players and got 75k and it blew up their database so bad it corrupted.
Being as that's simultaneous logins, probably the actual sales are higher

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits May 28, 2017, 17:23 Dev

Pigeon wrote on May 28, 2017, 12:57:
I remember when Circuit City did their liquidation sale, the company that was running it jacked up the "normal" price so much even 50-70% off sale prices were still a good bit more than you could find in a regular sale. It worked though, cause people were in there buying stuff like it was free. I'm curious if something similar is going on with RadioShack, just not curious enough to actually go find out.

At that point, usually the liquidator has bought the assets, and of course they are going to jack up the prices to try and maximize it. And it works.

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 18, 2017, 09:27 Dev

RedEye9 wrote on May 18, 2017, 09:11:
My sphincter tightens every time I update a bios even though I have only ever cooked one motherboard.
This is why my last mobo I got, I made sure it had a backup bios. If the main one borks, I have a backup. Also I try to do them while I'm on UPS, if a power outage happens while updating that will bork it too.

Modern mobos typically have an emergency recovery mode as well. So there's a few different failsafes.

News Comments > Steam Trading Card Changes
2. Re: Steam Trading Card Changes May 16, 2017, 23:50 Dev

I wondered myself what the problem was if valve got their cut. Anyway, here's the change:

Here's what we're doing:

Instead of starting to drop Trading Cards the moment they arrive on Steam, we're going to move to a system where games don't start to drop cards until the game has reached a confidence metric that makes it clear it's actually being bought and played by genuine users

15. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 16, 2017, 09:07 Dev

Incidentally this official post from MS confirms what everyone knew... the NSA leak was real, they really are stockpiling, they took crappy care of their tools, and this latest thing is a direct result of that.

By confirming this, this also strongly implies a lot of other things about how those tools have unique signatures in them and where else those signatures have popped up.

Yes all the above was theorized, and anyone with half a brain knew it already, but that's different than official confirmation.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale on June 22?
12. Re: Steam Summer Sale on June 22? May 14, 2017, 18:54 Dev

RaZ0r! wrote on May 14, 2017, 17:42:
Yeah the sales have been nerfed to the point they are not interesting. I guess that's how the publishers wanted it.
Plus valve rolled their desks away, too much work after they did the various extravaganza sales, including with the achievements in those games, potatoes, etc. So it's boring now from that view too

7104 Comments. 356 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo