Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6963 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Project Space Sector Announced
6. Re: Project Space Sector Announced Oct 15, 2016, 01:42 Dev

The part I don't understand is if they are announcing a way to buy or back it yet.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins
28. Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 7, 2016, 01:17 Dev

Good video, but fig... I think I'll wait until release and a good sale. I backed wasteland 2 collectors, but I just don't feel like shelling out that much this time.  

News Comments > Fig Shares Get SEC Approval
10. Re: Fig Shares Get SEC Approval Oct 7, 2016, 00:44 Dev

Cutter wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 20:04:
Now this is the sort of thing I can get behind. If I'm taking risk with my money I want - at least the possibility of - some reward.
Too bad you have to be accredited... which means you have a million bucks, or have $200k income for a few years.

Apparently they are only accepting from accredited (maybe SEC regs?) for now, peons aren't welcome until later.

I mean I'm guessing most people here probably don't have that kinda income. I could be wrong though.

News Comments > Mafia III Framerate Concerns
17. Re: Mafia III Framerate Concerns Oct 7, 2016, 00:42 Dev

"we know how important" and 30fps don't go together  

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Oct 4, 2016, 13:42 Dev

"PC Gamer -- Valve must take greater ownership of Steam's Early Access program."

HAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAAH HAHAHAHAHA HAH
Protip, anything that means extra work (especially if it's not super interesting) for valve is right out. The whole point of greenlight (valve said this in the press release about it) was to get community to do the boring work of approving games.

Desks on wheels people don't want to do boring crap like policing EA.
I'd be fine with that... if they were all working on HL3.
They need to hire a hundred interns to take care of some of this boring crap, such as say... customer service.

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Announced
39. Re: Wasteland 3 Announced Sep 29, 2016, 20:17 Dev

panbient wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 09:01:
But if you invested that much and things were successful you were entitled to a cut of the profits. That's a pretty substantial motivator and not something I've heard of in regards to KS or any other crowd funded platform.
Indiegogo I think offers something like that? Or one of the other crowdfunding platforms people haven't heard of. Anyway I've seen it on another platform before.

News Comments > Fig Shares Get SEC Approval
2. Re: Fig Shares Get SEC Approval Sep 29, 2016, 20:14 Dev

I might do a tiny amount depends on the price.
Risks are that this only picked up about $4m, when they claimed to notch they needed $18m and I think original game was made for $13m.
Plus, look at what happened with Broken Age.

36. Re: Wasteland 3 Announced Sep 29, 2016, 08:42 Dev

Fig's track record:
https://www.fig.co/campaigns#ended-campaigns
4 games successful including psychonauts 2 at about $4m (which is only a little over 100% of the goal). And here's the thing, remember the thing with Notch saying he'd get the game going and thought it was only going to take a couple million? Then they told him it would take $18 million and he backed out? Yeah that $18 million figure means they set the goal way low on this (remember broken age?). Plus apparently the original game cost $13m.

None of the rest of the campaigns have hit over 116%

This is also the platform that rockband 4 failed at with only 50% of funding.

Anyway I'll probably back it, I just think they are leaving tons of money on the table by not choosing KS and I think that it's not a good idea to choose fig with its track record.

35. Re: Wasteland 3 Announced Sep 29, 2016, 08:33 Dev

Fig is the crowdfunding platform that Tim Shaffer at Doublefine started for the psychonauts 2 crowdfunding. I think he was looking at that percentage KS was taking with dollar signs in his eyes. It does let you do an investment with a return though (wonder if wasteland 3 will be doing that).
So that's a negative on this in my eyes, that it's not on KS where I have an account already, and I don't think Fig is a well proven platform. I doubt it will hit WL2 funding levels.
Another negative is if this game has a multiplayer focus.

I'll probably still back it, because it's Brian Fargo and he's proven he can deliver, but I won't be as excited as for WL2.

News Comments > More GOG.com Connect
10. Re: More GOG.com Connect Sep 27, 2016, 00:49 Dev

Complete list on this page:
https://www.gog.com/connect

Hotline Miami
X Rebirth
Anno 1404
Dex
Shadow Warrior 2013

and
X-Gold
Balders gate enhanced
AI war fleet command
ziggurat
masterplan
incred avent Van Helsing final cut
Teslagrad
OlliOlli
The last federation
hot tin roof cat wore a fedora
Cossacks anthology
two worlds epic edition

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2016, 22:13 Dev

descender wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 14:00:
Pro Tip: WD40 is not a lubricant. It's a cleaning solvent and water displacement sealant.
Which is why he has to redo it once a year

News Comments > Star Citizen Examined
65. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 23, 2016, 22:03 Dev

Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 18:26:
descender wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 16:33:
I still don't understand why they don't just refund all the KS money and call that project dead. Can someone explain why they wouldn't do that? It's only like $3mil and completely irrelevant to the completion of the project at this point. It would seem that would save them a ridiculous amount of PR battle, most of you would have nothing left to complain about.

Yeah, that would seem to make the most amount of sense. My guess is that they just don't have that much money lying around anymore. For all how some people keep bleating "Where did all the money go???!" they employ like 300+ people. That money went to payroll and benefits.
Actually it doesn't make sense to refund all KS. Many of the people in the KS were first adopters type people giving positive hype, and biggest fans.
They could make it optional, but then they open the doors to a flood of other people outside the KS wanting refunds.

News Comments > Star Citizen Examined
64. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 23, 2016, 21:58 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 12:43:
Mismanaged? Absolutely.

Will they pull off a decent game? Who knows.

Will I ever give them more than my original $30 backing? Nope.

Do I care if it's shit? I only care about Squadron42... if it's a decent Wing Commander-like game, I'll be satisfied.

/shrug
Basically my feeling. I don't recall what exactly I gave them but it's under $50.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 13, 2016, 21:42 Dev

LittleMe wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 18:29:
Why do they need to 'permit' our speech? We don't have it except when they allow it? Did we become overridden with lawyers who cleverly worded oppressive authoritarian laws to benefit the bottom line?

There's a bunch of examples in the article.
I'll mention the contract thing, MS has even pulled that one before, where they forbid you to review something unless it's positive. And now that EULAs are ever more binding (such as the supreme court saying can't class action lawsuit but must do arbitration if they say that in EULA), this stuff is happening more.
Just like the blurb here says, it's about getting rid of gag clauses. Like who staying in random apartment has resources to go to court to fight a gag clause.
It's SAD that it's necessary to make a law like this, but I think it's a good move.
On the other hand, there's a million things that should be higher priority that congress is ignoring.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 13, 2016, 00:13 Dev

Wow, I played most of those DOS games and didn't know most of those hidden ones (besides the obvious, like slot machine in space quest 1, you had to do that to win the game, wasn't hidden). But secret giant ant monsters campaign in red alert? That's AWESOME  

News Comments > Interplay IPs for Sale
36. Re: Interplay IPs for Sale Sep 8, 2016, 23:12 Dev

Rigs wrote on Sep 8, 2016, 00:38:
I'm curious if any of the Star Trek game IPs are available, like Starfleet/Klingon Academy, New Worlds, Starfleet Command...
Game IP's like established tv/movies that aren't sold to companies. Example, the star wars IPs all belong to Disney and Disney isn't going to sell it. Instead they either give a game company limited rights (you can make 2 games in this series) or a time range (you can make as many games as you like, but this expires in 4 years).

In either case, I doubt Interplay can sell any of those licenses, they are almost certainly all expired.

They CAN probably sell rights to reproduce that exact game, but doubtful any sorta sequels, remasters, or rethemes. For that you'd have to go to the IP owners (i.e. if it was star wars you'd have to talk to Disney about making a star wars game).

In other words, licensed IP like that is totally different than Interplay's original IP (such as fallout) that they used to own complete rights to.

News Comments > Interplay IPs for Sale
3. Re: Interplay IPs for Sale Sep 7, 2016, 20:59 Dev

Wow, what a way to spin selling off the lifeblood of their company.
Also, why aren't they dead yet? Could this be the death knell?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 7, 2016, 02:43 Dev

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 12:38:
Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 11:58:
I just want to know when the AIB RX 480 cards will be here en masse! I need a new card!

Is there some reason to avoid the Geforce 10xx series that I'm unaware of? I got a 1070 about 6 weeks ago and it was probably the most dramatic performance increase I've ever gotten from a GPU upgrade (previous card was a R9 280X).
Nope. Especially if you are doing VR. AMD REALLY dropped the ball in the current VR titles. They are really sucking. They have cards labeled for VR that cannot even do the minimum VR.
AMD defenders go on and on about how "just wait until DX12 VR comes along AMD will be great then!" but none of the current crop of VR bothers with that, and NVidia is just crushing in the VR realm right now.

News Comments > Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns
1. Re: Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns Aug 28, 2016, 12:16 Dev

Huh, I was going to try that mighty quest one someday. Oh well!  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI 25th Anniversary Edition Announced
4. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI 25th Anniversary Edition Announced Aug 24, 2016, 22:52 Dev

Jivaro wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 22:19:
If you are a Prime member you get it for ~76 bucks if you pre-order through Amazon.
Shows for $72 for me.
Also, you can get it for $20 if you get the prime visa card from amazon (or less, I can't tell if it will count the discount first)

6963 Comments. 349 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo