Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6925 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Another New Steam User Record
11. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 1, 2015, 16:46 Dev

Bubicus wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 16:34:
To be in the top 20% of Steam users you need only own 4 games.

Growth is growth, but we should be careful not to portray Steam as millions of users willing and eager to buy full price games. A large majority of users don't spend any meaningful amount of money.

Of course, the top 20% spenders of the millions of iOS and Android users own ZERO games (well, OK; to be fair, it's some decimal between 0 and 1) and just spend on free-to-play, so it's encouraging that at least Steam users will spend money on something that isn't designed to annoy users constantly.

Also, if those 4 games one owns are moneymakers on microtransactions like TF2, DOTA2, or CS:GO, then the money flow is going to be similar to if they were buying a bunch of full price games

Text for your Link
It's estimated they took in 1.5 billion last year, with about 50% of that being profit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Another New Steam User Record
9. Re: Another New Steam User Record Nov 1, 2015, 16:32 Dev

killer_roach wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 14:55:
The fact that it's happening before those releases makes me think Valve is just changing their counting and reporting systems, not that genuine new records are being set of that magnitude.

First rule of data analysis: If you see numbers in your data set that are outliers with previous measurements, first look to measurement error before trying to determine a causal mechanism.
Or that as previously mentioned on blues, the huge growth of things like CS:GO and add in DOTA 2. It's highly likely it's legitimate.

News Comments > Steam Security Tips
11. Re: Steam Security Tips Nov 1, 2015, 16:29 Dev

Armengar wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 10:28:
so whats the difference between this and the email code I get when I log onto steam from an unauth. pc?
One comes from email
One comes from phone

Just depends on how well protected each of them is for you. Phone authenticators are generally considered to be a better 2nd factor than email.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2015, 15:25 Dev

That level 2 is so freaking awesome. That whole concept is awesome

ALSO, they are doing a kickstarter where for under $2 you can get a chance to be one of the controlling players in level 3.
Text for your Link

News Comments > Steam Security Tips
9. Re: Steam Security Tips Oct 31, 2015, 14:50 Dev

All of you complaining about giving out a phone number... get a free google voice number and give that to steam. (I get it, I'm very picky with my phone number too, and this is what I do. Also, steam has never spammed or sold my phone number)

1) If you associate the google voice number with your phone texts can get forwarded to you
2) Or install the app and the texts will come to the app on your phone.
3) Or just open the google voice webpage when the code comes in, and it can remain entirely separate from your phone and phone number.

Side note: I've also configured the option in google voice to forward calls. This way I can give my workplace my google voice number, or anything else I sign up for on the internet and they never have my real phone number.
And thankfully, it's all free!

Moog wrote on Oct 30, 2015, 14:54:
I would use their authenticator app if they had a way to back up your authenticator and so reinstall it if you lose/break your phone, like the Blizzard authenticator does.

As is it, I can see weeks of grief trying to get back into my account if I activate their authenticator app and then lose/break my phone.

I'll stick with the email authentication until they fix this, thanks!
They do. When you enable mobile authenticator, it shows a recovery code you can take a screenshot of. That code will let you get your stuff back. It tells you more on that screen.

Also, according to the steam mobile authenticator FAQ (and I just verified this on my phone), there's some backup authenticator codes you can get, kinda like gmail lets you have one time use codes you can take down in case you lose your phone.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8625-WRAH-9030

So it's already fixed

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2015, 15:03.

News Comments > DMCA Changes for Abandoned Games
8. Re: DMCA Changes for Abandoned Games Oct 27, 2015, 18:35 Dev

Bard wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 17:57:
AHAH! that's why EA brought their SPORE servers back up the other day!
Lol you might be right! It's not abandoned if servers up lol.
Not going to help all the others in EAs giant list of shut down games though.

News Comments > Day of the Tentacle Remake Plans
9. Re: Day of the Tentacle Remake Plans Oct 24, 2015, 13:46 Dev

I'd like to see a remastered DOTT  

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Drops WinXP
7. Re: Natural Selection 2 Drops WinXP Oct 21, 2015, 14:01 Dev

Ant wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 02:26:
Well, I do play Rbot's Uno, Junkyard, and Rumble in IRC with my online friends a few times a week. Those can take hours, days, and even weeks to finish! Haha. I still have yet to finish my old Windows games like Crysis 1, C&C3:Kane's Wrath (did resume it last month from a saved game from 2008!), World in Conflict, Oblivion (still in that sewer level with rats haha), etc. I loved NS games! I wished it was ALIENS theme though.
What irc channel? I need to play and finish some of my old games too

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Drops WinXP
2. Re: Natural Selection 2 Drops WinXP Oct 20, 2015, 22:23 Dev

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 21:00:
Seriously, what person plays new games on a computer that still has xp on it, or maybe I should say what computer with xp on it can still play any of the new games? Don't see that as an issue for any developer.
Roughly 3% of average gamers still have XP (5th most used windows OS flavor, still much more than vista gamers)
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

I know someone personally who is pretty into games that still uses it and dislikes win 7. Even when a game he was really excited about came out and didn't support win XP, he stuck with XP rather than upgrade.

That being said, it would be crazy for a developer to make a decision to stop development to support XP. Also it would be a crazy financial decision to devote more than a few percent of resources to maintaining compatibility with XP given the current market demographics.

News Comments > Free Valve Games for OS X Steam Hardware Users
7. Re: Free Valve Games for OS X Steam Hardware Users Oct 18, 2015, 01:04 Dev

ViRGE wrote on Oct 17, 2015, 18:39:
Well it's something. But this date was announced months in advance; Valve has had quite a bit of time to get this sorted out before the launch.
The problem is convincing enough people to wheel their desks over to the driver development team, it's a kinda boring job.

News Comments > Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access
124. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 15, 2015, 06:06 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 22:17:
It would be so awesome if someone released RSI's books.
Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have much in the way of books, the way they are running things.

News Comments > StarDrive 2 Sector Zero Announced
6. Re: StarDrive 2 Sector Zero Announced Oct 11, 2015, 23:27 Dev

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 00:03:
This is bullshit. For months, Zero has been promising a "big update to the game that will fix a lot of issues and add more features". So, instead of the promised patch, we get a fucking DLC announcement? Fuck this guy, I'm done.
Reminds me of valve with L4D2, except they did it as a whole new game instead of DLC or the promised free content for L4D1

News Comments > Gauntlet Support Ending; Pre-order Bonuses Freed
2. Re: Gauntlet Support Ending; Pre-order Bonuses Freed Oct 10, 2015, 14:09 Dev

Decent of them to support it properly and make sure it's in a good state before stopping. And announcing it is cool too. Most games just cease patch development without any announcement .  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2015, 02:01 Dev

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 27, 2015, 21:54:
You guys need to look at the prices before you make comments about games "falling down the list". Several of those games wouldn't have even been on it without significant discounts.
Which isn't really applicable to weekly top stream list since it's based on total weekly REVENUE. It means they are doing smart pricing moves if they get more total money by running a sale.

And since people often get confused on this, here's the definition from valve

http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Sep 22, 2015, 22:19 Dev

Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 20:19:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 19:33:
Here's David Jenison's exit letter where he basically breaks down all the problems with the company.

Hot damn...
Wowza

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 25, 2015, 01:33 Dev

Also as a side note, anyone's email can get signed up on AM by anyone else. They don't confirm it. I could sign yours up, you could sign mine up, etc.

I had this happen when I got a Japanese language email from them. Someone mistyped their email and put mine in instead. Had to google translate the email, it was a pain to get them to stop emailing me. I'm sure that my email is in there. But it's not associated with any payment information. And this is the key. There's a dozen variations of Obama and Bush emails that aren't valid, and no payment info associated with them.

But I guarantee you that there's at least one innocent spouse out there who is going to have crap happen because that subtlety will be lost on the partner.

News Comments > Humble Store Adds Wish Lists
5. Re: Humble Store Adds Wish Lists Aug 12, 2015, 15:11 Dev

How about integration with steam wishlish so I can get notified when hb puts those on sale? Is there any deal.com already does this, and notifies me about bundles with games too. So I'll probably keep using that since it's more of a global thing and not just 1 Seller  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
7. Re: Quote of the Day Aug 6, 2015, 13:05 Dev

And that old busted approach differently from the new hotness MS, how?  

News Comments > Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts
45. Re: Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts Jul 20, 2015, 09:15 Dev

Slick wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 05:33:
killer_roach wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 19:07:
EA seems to still be fighting with Steam over the fact that they don't want to pay Valve 30% of DLC sold on Steam, that they feel that it's their software selling the DLC and not the service. Don't see that being a winning strategy, but they're free to be stubborn.

not having to pay a competitor %30 of gross... (much higher than %30 of profits), you don't see that as a winning strategy?

So if it cost you $10 to develop a game, and your sales are $15, then you have a %33 profit margin. If you put it on steam, it goes from %33 to %3 profits. Or from $5 to 45 cents. I'd say that's a good enough reason to sell your own damn games.

Unless you really really like the idea of handing the lion's share of all your hard work to your biggest competitor Rolleyes

They'd only miss out on some profit for those steam sales. They can still get sales through origin too if they release on both platforms. Valve was just saying if they sell DLC, it had to be made available in both places, not just 1 place.
Question really is, do they they think they'd make more on the volume selling on steam vs selling only on origin. They've chosen origin only so far for some things.

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
107. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 7, 2015, 04:14 Dev

Task wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 17:34:
Even WoW has private servers which daring players mod and run, but Blizzard can't do anything about that.
Check again. They've sued and shut down places for doing that since eula.

6925 Comments. 347 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo