Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 7286 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2019, 23:24 Dev

I mean humble tried to do that for a while with direct steam account linking and not showing keys.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers
20. Re: Elite Dangerous Getting New Currency and Carriers Jul 9, 2019, 20:26 Dev

There's some free services that give disposable emails that are live for only a few mins, google will find them.

I use spamgourmet which lets you have unlimited email addresses that forward to your real address. It's free, and I've used it for many years.

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact
107. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 23:12 Dev

Price reduction?
HAHAHAAHAAHAAHAH.
Exactly ONE game has done that.
And most publishers/developers aren't going to, because either they have contracts signed that they can't differ prices between stores, or they won't want to cannibalize sales that way.

News Comments > They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty
9. Re: They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty Jun 24, 2019, 07:36 Dev

Blue,
The game is already patched to 1.07, past 1.05 as of several days ago.
The way this story is worded implies they haven't yet and are about to.

Can also see this quote from linked story:
"To force the update just restart the Steam client. It should be now the 1.0.5."

News Comments > Season 10 of Fortnite to Require DirectX 11
8. Re: Season 10 of Fortnite to Require DirectX 11 Jun 22, 2019, 14:39 Dev

jamiedj99 wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 14:32:
not all the cards supported dx11

Dev wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 14:31:
jamiedj99 wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 14:28:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX
2006 was DX10 so no still 8 years
I wasn't trying to argue against the 8 years, I was trying to point out how small a percentage is going to be stuck in DX10 vs DX11.

However, if we are going to debate it, geforce 4xx series came out over 9 years ago, not 8.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_400_series

And I still agree on your overall point, not a lot of them around anymore.

Ok, you are right. I didn't know about the geforce 405 that didn't support dx11. Although so few people apparently own it it's not even listed in the steam survey under a line item.

Doesn't change the overall not a lot of people affected by this, that you also said earlier.

6. Re: Season 10 of Fortnite to Require DirectX 11 Jun 22, 2019, 14:31 Dev

jamiedj99 wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 14:28:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX
2006 was DX10 so no still 8 years
I wasn't trying to argue against the 8 years, I was trying to point out how small a percentage is going to be stuck in DX10 vs DX11.

However, if we are going to debate it, geforce 4xx series came out over 9 years ago, not 8.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_400_series

And I still agree on your overall point, not a lot of them around anymore.

Though my lifetime warranty evga was finally updated to a 960 from the 470 that I had, that was replaced like 4 times first lol.

4. Re: Season 10 of Fortnite to Require DirectX 11 Jun 22, 2019, 14:15 Dev

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 13:56:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 13:44:
That's cutting off a huge chunk of their mobile/laptop customers.
But I doubt it affects the bottom line.

I'm going to guess it isn't a huge chunk otherwise they wouldn't do it.
About 3% ish of average PC gamers
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Versus 90% DX12 capable GPU (of which 25% stubbornly aren't on win 10 yet), and 5% with DX11 capable GPU.

Keep in mind this is really prior to vista (vista was later upgraded to DX11) so really just XP, and win 7 launched with dx11.
That's 2006, which is at this point like 13 years old.
Is a 13 year old laptop even going to run fortnite at this point?
DX11 came out 2009 which is just 3 years later. So you are talking 10-13 year old laptops (or desktops), a brief 3 year period.

I can understand not wanting to move on from win 7, but even that is dx11.

Graphics card wise, I believe that's geforce 4xx series. My just replaced 9 year old geforce 470 was capable of dx11.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2019, 14:28.

News Comments > Get Enter the Gungeon for Free
8. Re: Get Enter the Gungeon for Free Jun 14, 2019, 09:52 Dev

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 13, 2019, 19:47:
Easily snagged with my android tablet. Scores an 80 on metacritic.
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/enter-the-gungeon

?? I don't see it on google play

News Comments > Gloomhaven Early Access Next Month
4. Re: Gloomhaven Early Access Next Month Jun 14, 2019, 09:26 Dev

I'm in the middle of a 2 player campaign for the board game, having lots of fun. I even picked up the expansion.  

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support
17. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Ray Tracing Support Jun 12, 2019, 10:40 Dev

Why are people talking about $1300 cards? The 2070 is like $450 or so, and I picked up a 2080 for $650 or so. Those will do RTX just fine

Also, by the time this comes out, there will be the next gen of RTX cards out. I plan to sell mine and make that step up, and it shouldn't be much difference in cost. I used to keep my graphics cards for many years, but I'm going to try the sell and buy route now to upgrade.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 11, 2019, 21:01 Dev

Saboth wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 14:16:
"result clearly represents a strategic victory for Alex Jones." How does using someone else's copyright without permission then losing in court represent any kind of win? Then again, this is the alt-right, where up is down and black is white, real news is fake, so I guess yeah...in their minds it must be a major victory.
I mean... says right in the sentence above why they claim that, that it was such a tiny amount of money compared to the initial ask. Apparently they even made posters with the image, so it's likely he made more than the settlement in ads and revenue. It would have been popcorn fun to see this go through to trial, and probably cost the infringer in the hundreds of thousands.

News Comments > Ubisoft Announces Premium Uplay+ Service
7. Re: Ubisoft Announces Premium Uplay+ Service Jun 11, 2019, 08:34 Dev

At least they are doing it the right way, entire catalog. If EA did that too, it would also make more sense. And at that point, maybe someone rotating publishers every couple months, keeping a single sub active, would let you play games you wanted, new release games, and maybe games you'd not normally buy, for only $15 a month.
I could see myself keeping a sub in those conditions.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 07:36:
Corporate greed, sigh. Luckily we'll all be dead in 20-30 years.
Orrr... if they finally discover something to live longer, maybe not. Or maybe the singularity happens.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jun 9, 2019, 13:26 Dev

I couldn't get around without printing out maps before the GPS days. My brains already ruined I guess. Because no way am I going to stop using it.  

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Jun 5, 2019, 08:40 Dev

TheEmissary wrote on Jun 5, 2019, 07:49:
Valve has always been a studio that takes forever to publish new games. Did everyone just forget how long it took for even Half-Life 2 or Team Fortress 2 to be published. I am sure they are working on new games but being a privately owned LLC they don't have to tell us anything like a publicly owned corporation.

They are yes. But they have a flat management structure and wheeled desks. They have small groups or individual people working on cool projects and games they think of, then after a while they get bored of it and move on.

I have no doubt that there's a hl3 or whatever in development, along with others, but the problem is, it's going to stay that way forever, with no management pressure to deliver it.

The VR is exciting to them because it's new and never been done this way before, so there's a chance we may see some VR specific games from valve (they even claimed in index announcement they had like 3 or so games on the way for that). The excitement there is probably enough to overcome the boredom and tedium of actually fixing the showstoppers and roadblocks and releasing a game.

Anyway, since they don't have the drive to finish games much anymore, they really should sub contract to third party devs. Rather than just sit around and doodle all day.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jun 4, 2019, 23:12 Dev

Capitalism made it so they don't have pressure to improve or put out games. It allows them to maintain the flat management structure they have.

Though it's a contributing factor, it's not the cause of why they've stopped games. They've stopped games because they have wheeled desks and no management structure.

I mean what they really oughta do is hire a third party to do it for them, and exercise complete artistic control over them.

I mean if you look at almost every move made on the store, it's to DECREASE the boring work of running the store for the employees. They don't like wheeling desks to the monotonous store corner. Like that whole greenlight thing so people would do the approval for them. Then changing to paying money to get approval, and now practically wide open approval.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: AT&T denies that selling phone location data was illegal May 18, 2019, 07:50 Dev

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on May 17, 2019, 17:35:
Why would it be illegal? Even the SCOTUS has ruled that you have no expectation of privacy if your cell phone is powered on.

Plus, a while back, FCC said that CPNI sharing and selling was opt out rather than opt in. Speaking of which, everyone should call their ISP and ask to opt out of CPNI sharing. They will try to convince you not to so they can sell you stuff.

News Comments > Epic Mega Sale
51. Re: Epic Mega Sale May 16, 2019, 20:37 Dev

I'm presuming Epic is subsidizing all of this $10 off sale.

Anyways, anything worth buying that's Epic exclusive? Got metro exodus with my graphics card. Going to buy Satisfactory (I didn't want to pay $30, but $20 is ok for me), I've liked the trailers. This will be my first purchase from Epic store.

I don't like all this crap they are pulling and I'd rather have stuff on steam, but if it's cheap enough, I might get a game or two here and there.

Edit: As someone else said, "thanks fortniters!" which is probably something like thanking all the kids in my city for spending their parents money.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2019, 20:48.

News Comments > Wanking Simulator Announced
4. Re: Wanking Simulator Announced May 13, 2019, 20:47 Dev

I clicked on the steam page out of curiosity... steam tells me below in the similar titles box that I should look at:

Grand Theft Auto V

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2019, 21:35 Dev

1) If you release crappy unfinished games (like that one batman one), yeah you gotta update it if you don't want it to get bad reviews

2) if you want to have a long tail, you have to keep updating and adding content, so people won't move on to the next big thing immediately. For instance, spreading out DLC in a season pass.

So yeah, if you'd rather just release a single player game that isn't full of bugs, and don't care about the microtransations and long tail, yeah, not a problem to release a game that isn't constantly updated.

But nope, they want that money. So yeah it costs time and money and updates to keep people addicted to those microtransactions. Can't have it both ways.

News Comments > Protecting Children from Abusive Games Act
14. Re: Protecting Children from Abusive Games Act May 8, 2019, 21:28 Dev

jdreyer wrote on May 8, 2019, 20:16:
I agree sports card have a similar mechanic. Difference is that they aren't a $134B industry, so have flown under the radar.
No, but start throwing in all the collectibles, like magic cards, pokeman cards, and other CCGs, and all those things at gamestop where you buy a figurine and you get a random one inside, etc etc, and it starts adding up.

7286 Comments. 365 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo