Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 7104 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Amazing Eternals on Hold
2. Re: The Amazing Eternals on Hold Oct 26, 2017, 21:55 Dev

Market has been saturated with card buying games for years, unless your name was Blizzard.

However, these kinda games are going gangbusters on mobile.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > HITMAN - GOTY Edition Next Month
3. Re: HITMAN - GOTY Edition Next Month Oct 25, 2017, 09:50 Dev

aka_STEVE wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 09:24:
Who voted it game of the year !? ?

I don't remember seeing that before......
Nowadays no need for that, lots of companies self label.

However, it was a great game, so I suspect someone did.

Also this is one of the few successes I've seen with episodic release, and it was actually completed. (yeah, looking at you valve)

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 24, 2017, 08:57 Dev

Lowest I've seen steam link in the Icey bundle, so picked it up.  

News Comments > PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans
33. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 21:00 Dev

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 19:33:
These games come and go, next spring it will be another game and this one will have already been forgotten. They should milk this game all they can while it is pertinent. The chances of a sequel being another hit are quite slim.

Games that beat previous steam records held by F2P DOTA2, and all records for most simultaneous players on steam?
Those don't come and go.

15 million sales of PUBG puts it into top 50 games of all time territory. That is close to The Sims spot of 16 million.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

In terms of just PC games, that puts it in top 3, beating out diablo 2, starcraft, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games

20. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 16:22 Dev

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 15:12:
Was anyone even under the impression that there would be a sequel especially seeing as how it's still the top selling title?
Typically on a top selling game, there's sequel plans with the same IP. Yes, even this far ahead... since it usually takes years to make a new AAA game. The only difference is we aren't usually told about it until it is further along. Here they are straight up saying there won't be.

10. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 13:27 Dev

Kxmode wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 13:19:
With the rare exception of World of Warcraft, the subscription model hasn't worked. So why would they think it'll work now?

Unlikely they will go subscription. More likely they will consider going F2P at some point and try to work in enough other microtransactions to make up the $30 a player loss. That switch wouldn't happen for a long time though, not until paid sales drop off.

For instance, everyone is clamoring for another map. They could charge $10 for a map and tons of people would buy it. Add enough maps and stuff to make it an extra $30 worth of DLC, and a lot of people would buy, because they'd think "oh, this just makes the price of the whole package $60 which is standard game cost, so no biggie"

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 17, 2017, 08:23 Dev

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 15, 2017, 21:51:
Good lord Dev, I was making a joke. Iím not blind to the gameís enormous growth. Almost makes me want to pick it up to see what the fuss is about, but itís the sort of game Iíd find frustrating, and with very little feeling of any accomplishment in.

Been balls deep in Factorio, which is an astonishing timesink.
Sorry, I didn't read it as a joke. My bad.

And yes, I agree, Factorio is an awesome game!

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 15, 2017, 17:37 Dev

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 15, 2017, 17:03:
Dev wrote on Oct 15, 2017, 16:45:
Whoa, look at the surprise dark horse in #1 !
j/k

Itís absurdly unstoppable on the sales chart. Maybe it has to do with those 9,000 bans per day.

Did you even bother to think about the math there before you posted?

5 weeks from 10 mil to 15 mil purchasers.
9,000 a day * 30 days = 270,000.

Now I realize these are rough estimates, but even being very conservative with the numbers (such as taking the 13k a day top end of ban numbers, still would be under 10%), it doesn't change that's less than 10% of the actual player growth if every single banned player just buys another account.

Unlike a lot of other games that brag about total players (who probably played once then never again), we can see actual simultaneous players (2+ million) reflecting actual sales. We see top of steam sales charts week after week. Valve has no reason to make any of those facts or numbers up, in fact just the opposite, they'd prefer their own game not to be overshadowed by this.

These are real numbers. Real growth. New blood coming in as the game grows.

Rebuying from bans is very little of this.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 15, 2017, 16:45 Dev

Whoa, look at the surprise dark horse in #1 !
j/k

News Comments > Ghosts of the Precursors Correction
3. Re: Ghosts of the Precursors Correction Oct 13, 2017, 07:02 Dev

See all the official frogboy quotes I put into the other story, this was done with full stardock approval, and in fact letting them use the original SC2 aliens and stardock using other aliens instead was done out of respect:

https://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=184597

News Comments > Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel
9. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 12, 2017, 08:51 Dev

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 06:51:
Oh cool! Thanks for the info, Dev!
No problemo. I'm a huge fan of star control, I love playing the free open source ur quan masters (remake of SC2), and especially love all the redone music by the original artists who did star control 2 music.

Just in case anyone here hasn't heard of that:
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

6. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 11, 2017, 22:03 Dev

And another public post from frogboy explaining more after the above announcement:
https://forums.starcontrol.com/485378

Four years ago Stardock acquired Atari's rights to Star Control. I soon got to meet my hero, Paul Reiche. He was, more than anyone else, the person who inspired me to become a game developer over 20 years ago.

Over the past 4 years, we have communicated regarding the progress of Star Control: Origins. He asked us not to try to make a sequel to Star Control 2 and said that he hoped one day to be able to return to the universe he and Fred Ford created.

Recently, Paul told me the good news: Activision was going to let him do a true sequel to Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (i.e. Star Control III is not canon for that universe).

Today, they posted the news publicly: https://dogarandkazon.squarespace.com/

It's still very early but they will have all the characters from Star Control 2 plus new ones. It's going to be called Ghosts of the Precursors.

For 4 years, people asked me why we weren't going to touch the Star Control 2 story. Now you know.

And a further public post by frogboy in that thread:

Yea, we're pretty excited.

It doesn't affect Origins either way. What it does do, however, is help people better understand why we had agreed not to use the aliens. While Stardock does have a license to the setting, characters, etc. Paul had asked us not to use them to leave the door open for them to one day return. That was 4 years ago.

Now, those efforts have paid off.

5. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 11, 2017, 21:57 Dev

To further clarify the issue, here's a quote from a post by frogboy (where he stated it could be said to people outside the founders program, because a lot of star control stuff is under NDA for anyone in founder's program, which I'm a member of):

But yes, it can be said that Stardock has rights to use the aliens but chose not to because Paul and Fred have stated they intend to return to the Ur-Quan timeline and do a proper sc2 sequel someday even if it is a side thing they do.

4. Re: Star Control Creators Plan Unofficial Sequel Oct 11, 2017, 21:48 Dev

Or... just get it from the horses mouth from this public FAQ:
https://forums.starcontrol.com/463278

A: Back in the day, Accolade and later Atari became owner of the trademark and publishing rights for the original Star Control series. Stardock along with Paul and Fred all agree that the aliens and story elements of the classic Star Control series belongs to them.

Q: Will Toys for Bob be involved in the new Star Control series?

A: Maybe but probably not. Toys for Bob was acquired by Activision and is currently working on the Skylanders series. However, Paul and Fred have both expressed a desire to return to Star Control in the future.

Q: How does Stardock plan to do a new Star Control series without the original story and aliens?

A: The new Star Control will be a reboot with a new story and new aliens. The classic Star Control series (or at least, 1 and 2 which are what we consider as canon) will be preserved as the Ur-Quan continuity. This way, if/when Paul and Fred can return to the Ur-Quan universe, we can not only help ensure it is preserved but also make sure a new generation of gamers becomes aware of their magnificient creation.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2017, 22:04.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 5, 2017, 09:02 Dev

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 13:52:
Iím annoyed that there doesnít appear to be any link to what the lawsuit is ABOUT, just that itís not gonna get blocked by what it says in the booklet.
Google knows
Text for your Link

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Delay; New Founder's Option
5. Re: Star Control: Origins Delay; New Founder's Option Oct 5, 2017, 08:59 Dev

If anyone hasn't played it yet there's always the Ur Quan masters game (basically SC2), and all the awesome remastered music done by the original artists  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 3, 2017, 01:42 Dev

I'm waiting for gen 2 of the VR stuff to come out, hopefully cheaper.  

News Comments > Microsoft Allegiance Revival
14. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Oct 1, 2017, 12:26 Dev

This is a fun story and comments!

Devinoch wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 20:01:
Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/
Thanks for that sig, that looks like an intriguing podcast!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 30, 2017, 12:09 Dev

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 10:21:
Redmask wrote on Sep 30, 2017, 08:24:
EVGA fucking around yet again, these companies never learn.

I will never buy an EVGA product. They are fucking trash. There's a reason they're cheaper.
Back when they had a lifetime warranty for graphics cards, it was great, it didn't matter if they sucked and died after warranty.
I've replaced my GF 470 like 4 times now. Every year or two it dies. It's now a backup card, but I always know that if I need it, as long as EVGA is still around, they will replace it lol.

News Comments > Killer Instinct on Steam
4. Re: Killer Instinct on Steam Sep 28, 2017, 09:06 Dev

So, MS wasn't seeing the sales they thought they'd see by doing win 10 exclusive so they decided to sell it on the largest PC gaming platform too? LOL

Or they figure they already got all the win 10 gamers to switch and they want to milk some money from others.

Steam review score is decent anyway.

7104 Comments. 356 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo