Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On December 13, 2004
Founding Supporter Gold, since February 28, 2020
Total Comments 7340 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 5, 2020, 22:46  Dev 

Luke wrote on Apr 5, 2020, 18:00:
Wonder what all the sheeps are doing with there 1000$ vr now that Alex is done......thought so bye
$400. Quest works great with it. And at that price it's a very reasonable piece of hardware.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 29, 2020, 21:36  Dev 

Kinda impressive to see Alyx up there at all. People were wondering where it was, here it is.  

News Comments > Get The Deed for Free

6. Re: Get The Deed for Free Mar 29, 2020, 10:45  Dev 

Xero wrote on Mar 28, 2020, 18:40:
Snagged! Will never play it!
LOL *looks at giant steam collection and sadly joins the club*

News Comments > Valve on Why They Aren't Making L4D3 or Portal VR

5. Re: Valve on Why They Aren't Making L4D3 or Portal VR Mar 24, 2020, 22:45  Dev 

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 21:57:
aka_STEVE wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 08:08:
Pretty sure the real reason is 1 word = lazy , or complacent.

They don't have any members with the ability or the drive to work years long on any kind of a game anymore.... If it can't be completed in a week or two, like a 'hat' or a 'skin' for an already established game... why should they bother.?

They spent 4 years on HL:Alyx. What's this trash you're spewing?

Probably only because of it being interesting with the new tech of VR. So enough people wheeled their desks over and got into that team. With a flat management structure it's all voluntary.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 22, 2020, 21:43  Dev 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 22, 2020, 16:58:
I own Doom. I would love to play Doom. Without audio, Doom is pointless. So far, Bethesda support has been pointless.
You check the audio settings in the game? Sometimes audio can redirect to weird places, like if you are using speakers and it sends to your headphones because that was default in the windows mixer.

Also settings outside the game in windows.

Also some tips here when I googled:
https://quoramarketing.com/fix-doom-eternal-audio-problem/
Involving turning off spatial sound in windows (something win 10 tries to play at sometimes, called windows sonic)

News Comments > Valve on Alyx and the Future of Half-Life

15. Re: Valve on Alyx and the Future of Half-Life Mar 19, 2020, 07:51  Dev 

Luke wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 04:27:
Well ain't that sad for you after 1000$ spend on that vr that not everyone jumps in the air like ya......have fun I'll pass
Quest is only $400. Used VR sets like rift even less.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

58. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2020, 08:52  Dev 

WannaLogAlready wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 21:57:
Congrats Blue !

After considerable procrastination I finally completed my Windows 10 upgrade yesterday...
... in surprisingly short order.

I know I felt relieved and safer after finally doing it, and after killing all unnecessary bloat, I am rather happy with the results.

Cheers

Such as? I haven't disabled much. Like the ads on start?

News Comments > Insider Look at Valve's Culture

18. Re: Insider Look at Valve's Culture Mar 18, 2020, 08:22  Dev 

So besides the whole wheeled desk thing and flat management thing, if it's zero billions it won't fly. Got it. Good ole valve.

Almost sounds like EA/actiblizz with their ZOMG it sold only 10 million at launch not 20 million so it's a failure and we are abandoning the IP!

They could just admit to the reality and hire 3rd parties to do half life, portal, etc games. I'd be ok with that if they polished them after and made sure they were worthy of the tarnished valve name. It's probably the only way we are going to get more steady game development out of valve.

News Comments > The Long Dark Goes Dark on GeForce NOW

41. Re: The Long Dark Goes Dark on GeForce NOW Mar 5, 2020, 09:35  Dev 

Razumen wrote on Mar 4, 2020, 23:09:
Again, at worst it's a violation of a eula, but those aren't law.
I didn't read the rest of the thread, but this line isn't really correct.

They've been upheld multiple times in court.

News Comments > Valve Expects Monday's Index Restock to Sell Out

26. Re: Valve Expects Monday's Index Restock to Sell Out Mar 5, 2020, 08:33  Dev 

Luke wrote on Mar 5, 2020, 07:26:
Geez all this fuzz for a pair of floating hands.......people are easy
I mean the hand simulator game does sell pretty decent

News Comments > Valve Expects Monday's Index Restock to Sell Out

24. Re: Valve Expects Monday's Index Restock to Sell Out Mar 4, 2020, 23:17  Dev 

theglaze wrote on Mar 4, 2020, 18:34:
Gah! Soooo tempting

I just don't know how well I can run the Index with my 6-core/3.6Ghz and GTX 1080. I know I clear the minimum system requirements, but I don't want to step into the 'next-generation of VR gaming' with Low Quality settings Paperbag
1080 is a good one for VR, you won't be stuck at low quality.
Now with 1060 you would.

There's reviews that cover this stuff if you are interested in more.

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Locomotion Videos

23. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Locomotion Videos Mar 3, 2020, 22:11  Dev 

Sepharo wrote on Mar 3, 2020, 21:04:
Dev wrote on Mar 3, 2020, 20:17:
Fortunately, you can play it with other VR systems... like the Quest that's only $400. Valve isn't keeping it exclusive to their own, because they want the VR market as a whole to grow.

I think you'll only be able to play this with the Quest via a streaming mode, of which there are two different varieties, but neither are an experience you'd want... especially for a FPS or any fast paced game. It's got a lot of display and input lag in those modes.
I think the new wired PC link should be fine.
Especially since valve themselves officially call it out as supported for Alyx:
https://half-life.com/en/alyx/vr
I've not had any latency problems with the games I've tried in the PC link version on steam
Prior to that I did the desktop sideload streamer thingy, and I did have issues with that.

If you want a technical deep dive into the Oculus link system:
Text for your Link

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2020, 22:23.

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Locomotion Videos

21. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Locomotion Videos Mar 3, 2020, 20:17  Dev 

Luke wrote on Mar 3, 2020, 05:07:
Wauw a game with floating hands, sure valve I run out buying your gear for thousands of $ .....gezz
Fortunately, you can play it with other VR systems... like the Quest that's only $400. Valve isn't keeping it exclusive to their own, because they want the VR market as a whole to grow.

Caslon wrote on Mar 3, 2020, 01:36:
Too expensive to have developed this game for both VR AND PC? How much were they paid by VR developers to make it VR exclusive?
I think you need to re-examine what valve is and how they own steam. And how they have literally billions to play around and do wtf ever they want with their flat management structure. So happens, enough of them wheeled their desks over to the VR corner, and made a new HL game. Probably because VR is a new exciting toy. Don't worry, they will get tired of it soon enough, probably before HL3. And since they never outsource their IP's for game development after they made steam, no one else will do it either. It's a pity, they could keep full creative control and have studios make all sorts of games. Studios that could actually deliver something because of that thing called Milestones.

News Comments > Evening Interviews

6. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 3, 2020, 19:43  Dev 

The article never really answers that question. They never even asked it.

I'll answer it though, they want a big AAA title to help sell VR.

News Comments > Baldur’s Gate 3 Press Release

13. Re: Baldur’s Gate 3 Press Release Mar 1, 2020, 20:47  Dev 

Heltorne wrote on Mar 1, 2020, 18:25:
What is everyone talking about on here when they say EA? EA is commonly known as Electronic Arts so it's odd and even cruel to abbreviate whatever it is to EA!
Early Access

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 28, 2020, 23:00  Dev 

Nullity wrote on Feb 28, 2020, 13:01:
From the Windows 10 KB4535996 Is Now Out for Versions 1903 and 1909 article:

include fixes for ... bug that prevents ActiveX content from loading

That sounds like a feature to me.
Right?!

News Comments > Out of the Blue

106. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2020, 22:30  Dev 

Ugh patreon now has this email verify thing and of course they aren't sending emails to me. Going to have to open a ticket or something, and if they can't let me log in, I'll have to cancel my subs with them.

Anyways, I sent a year from paypal, and added a note with my email here.
Somehow I missed it when it first started, then I checked out various people with colored names and got to this page.

Thanks for doing this Blue!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2020, 22:10  Dev 

Cutter wrote on Feb 28, 2020, 22:07:
Goddamn I'm in the wrong business. I wonder how many of these crooks are smart enough to disappear after a good payout.

I mean do they need to? Bitcoin, located in China or Russia or similar that aren't going to extradite them. And presumably the Russian ones won't target Russian IP's so their own gov doesn't get pissy.

News Comments > Are You a Game Collector?

35. Re: Are You a Game Collector? Feb 23, 2020, 10:32  Dev 

Prez wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 07:47:
I'm not sure why exactly, but I've always felt compelled to keep buying games. Some I obviously want to play, some I just wanted to help out the developers, some were a simple case of the fear of missing out. In general I always wanted to have certainty that whatever my mood there would always multiple choices available in my library. I'd say a good 20% of the games in my library are trash usually picked up as part of a bundle, but even counting the just the other 80% I'll be lucky to ever get to even a quarter of them in my lifetime.
Story of my life. I'm similar with board games lol

News Comments > Activision Hits Reddit with DMCA Subpoena

3. Re: Activision Hits Reddit with DMCA Subpoena Feb 21, 2020, 21:09  Dev 

Seems like it kinda confirms it's legit.
Also, there's sites that archive reddit posts, I bet one could find it on one of them.

7340 Comments. 367 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >