Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 7309 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

118. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 08:52 Dev

Also the low cut Epic is taking means there's very little room to do anything like giveaways and still make money. To make the kinda profit Steam generates, they'd actually have to have triple or so the overall revenue that steam does! Even if Epic magically takes over the majority of the market, are they going to eventually raise rates? Or stay the same, satisfied that they shrunk the entire profit base of the sector by such a huge amount?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

114. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 15, 2020, 08:40 Dev

I appreciate all the math people are doing in this thread. It's funny how much info can be discovered out of what epic is NOT saying on that graphic just by doing some math.

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 14:55:
What EGS is doing is being a threat to Steam. And lo and behold, Steam is suddenly coming out with new features: new profit-sharing structures, a new UI, remote couch co-op modes. Competition is good. Look at how long Intel sat on their asses until AMD lit a fire under them.
That's a good point. Steam wasn't doing much for years until recently.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2020, 08:51.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 6, 2020, 23:00 Dev

Pretty sure someone is confused here. I bet it's the car's built in GPS and cell.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2020, 09:11 Dev

One of the things I really enjoyed about Fallen Order, was the lightsaber customization... mirrored what I built at disneyland. I realize that's completely on purpose for commercialization reasons, but it doesn't stop it from being neat.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse

1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 5, 2020, 21:50 Dev

They must have paid a chunk to get home alone temporarily licensed for launch and through Christmas heh.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation

15. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jan 5, 2020, 21:47 Dev

Even if this guy's argument was valid (and I don't think it is)... people could still upgrade for cheap. NVMe is cheap, and even if you don't have a m.2 slot, you can buy a PCI-E card that does NVMe. So you are talking under $100 upgrade, which is cheap.  

News Comments > Rune II Released; Human Head Closes

18. Re: Rune II Released; Human Head Closes Nov 14, 2019, 07:53 Dev

Good ole Rune, I played the original and enjoyed it at the time of release. I probably have the box around somewhere also as well.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

93. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2019, 21:21 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 01:31:
Staunch wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 18:13:
On a secondary note. I'd love it (and I'm sure some others would) if there was a way to support the site more directly, sans ads. I block advertisements everywhere not because I want sites to die, but because companies that run ad networks can't be trusted to treat people with respect in my opinion.

A login on the site for ad-free viewing would be ideal, but a Patreon or PayPal would also be fine way for those of us that block ads but want to still support the site to do so.

We've been trying to convince Blue to go Patreon for years. Let us know if you have better luck.

I'd gladly do a patreon for a couple/few a month to support the site that I've been visiting and loving for decades.

News Comments > The Outer Worlds Released

49. Re: The Outer Worlds Released Oct 26, 2019, 12:34 Dev

Don't forget to use the US link, for $5 a month, instead of the canadian link for $6 a month, if you are in US

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass#join

News Comments > blitzchung Speaks Out

17. Re: blitzchung Speaks Out Oct 15, 2019, 09:25 Dev

SirKnight wrote on Oct 13, 2019, 13:25:
"In the future, I will be more careful on that and express my opinions or show my support to Hong Kong on my personal platforms."

And that won't stop any of the consequences. Corporations still fire people over stuff they say in personal social media. And the terms that blizzard gives for the prizes make it so if there is ANYTHING they don't like the look of, they can do this.

News Comments > etc.

3. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2019, 09:22 Dev

JohnBirshire wrote on Oct 14, 2019, 17:57:
I stopped playing when they took away the ability to play maps of your choice.
If you quit the map while waiting for players, then rejoin in a minute or two, you'll get placed in a different map.

They took away the choice because it was fracturing the player base too much and making game start times too long.

I don't like it either, but it can be worked around.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 10, 2019, 09:12 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 04:47:
Why you should lie in your password-recovery questions.

But then how will I know the answers?
Password manager. There are open source free ones avail.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 10, 2019, 09:08 Dev

KS wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 02:22:
The embargo cuts off trade cold turkey, which would include refunds. Maybe they could be returned after normalization later, but for now they cannot. I wouldn't blame Valve.
Actually from what I understand, they (Adobe not valve) could have ceased service ahead of the deadline and refunded ahead of the deadline. They chose not to, so yeah, I can blame them.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 3, 2019, 22:53 Dev

I knew PLA was one of the best filaments to print indoors with and that if I wanted to print ABS I should print in like garage or something.

However I didn't expect laser printers were 100 ! times the emissions. Copiers more like 200 times. And still way more even than the ABS.

News Comments > Control Exclusivity Cost Epic $10M+?

24. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 21, 2019, 12:20 Dev

SabreT wrote on Sep 21, 2019, 11:36:
licensedsaucer9 wrote on Sep 21, 2019, 10:50:
SabreT wrote on Sep 21, 2019, 10:45:
Wish all the uniformed parrots thinking that Fortnite is Epic's main source of revenue would just shut up. Do a bit of research yourself ffs.

I am aware that Epic have other revenue streams, but it is news to me that Fortnite is not the main one. Do you have any more information? I found this https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/news/fortnite-earned-annual-revenue-game-history-2018/ but it is not current.

www.cnbc.com/2018/12/14/the-reason-epic-landed-a-15-billion-valuation-is-not-fortnite-success.html
All that says is that there's a lot of hope around using unreal engine in other non gaming sectors in the future... nothing concrete yet.

However, it did mention something I found interesting, PUBG is paying them a percentage in royalties of all sales because they use unreal engine! LOL

News Comments > Overland Released

1. Re: Overland Released Sep 20, 2019, 21:24 Dev

Ouch, mixed 53%  

News Comments > Steam Top 10

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 8, 2019, 15:20 Dev

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 8, 2019, 13:16:
Making CS:GO f2p must have affected valves bottom line.
It doesn't show microtransactions

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Post-Release Multiplayer & Free DLC

50. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Getting Post-Release Multiplayer & Free DLC Sep 6, 2019, 09:48 Dev

I mean... one could just wait until release and reviews to see if the SP content was screwed over from decision to add MP after launch. And at that point make the buy decision.  

News Comments > Half-Life VR Game Source Code Discovered

5. Re: Half-Life VR Game Source Code Discovered Sep 6, 2019, 09:33 Dev

Drawing attention to them is a good way to get those assets removed...

Also, valve has had similar leaks like this before, sometimes it led to things, sometimes it didn't. Just depends if the desks are wheeled long enough to anywhere that matters.

Valve did say something about they had a couple games due to come out within a year for the index, as I recall. A VR stand in place wave shooter with HL assets would be an easy way to do one.

News Comments > Siege of Centauri Next Week

5. Re: Siege of Centauri Next Week Sep 6, 2019, 09:03 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2019, 19:20:
Picked this up when it went into EA. Pretty bog standard TD game IMO.
Hopefully they have made some changes to make it more interesting.
Same, and I gave them some feedback to that effect prior to it hitting EA, that they really needed to emphasize any distinguishing factors. Haven't tried it since.

Edit: Has a 75% mostly positive rating. So I guess we'll see. Most of the negatives are saying similar things and are from earlier, nothing too recent.

7309 Comments. 366 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >