Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Will

Real Name Will   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Dev
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 13, 2004, 01:09
Total Comments 6923 (Guru)
User ID 22548

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power
1. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 09:22 Dev

Yeah, few cards max out bandwidth, but power is another question.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Details and Plans
21. Re: NMS player base says buh bye Aug 22, 2016, 01:50 Dev

Overon wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 23:16:
Sean Murray is a liar and a younger version of the bullshit artist Peter Molyneux.
He can't be that bad

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation
8. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 20, 2016, 13:49 Dev

Linksil wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 12:48:
It is slightly disturbing to see them playing this is a controller on the PC though instead of mouse/keyboard and flightstick.
Even from the first videos while the KS was going on, they were using console controllers.

News Comments > Overwatch Tick Rate Increasing
16. Re: Overwatch Tick Rate Increasing Aug 14, 2016, 03:11 Dev

shiho wrote on Aug 14, 2016, 01:29:
Unless you have an Intel card, you should disable pretty much every single feature in your network card
And if you do have intel? Can you leave stuff enabled?

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Aug 7, 2016, 19:07 Dev

It's because the desks were too close together, people wanted to wheel them to corners and the corners were all taken. Time to get more corners!  

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Issues
23. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Issues Aug 7, 2016, 18:46 Dev

El Pit wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 14:05:
Creston wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 13:53:
the gaming geeks at Ars recommend that you avoid the Anniversary update

Right, and you do that how on an OS that forces updates down your throat?

Simple. Tested - it works for me. But it only works with wifi connections.

http://lifehacker.com/enable-metered-connection-to-delay-windows-10-updates-1723316525
I've heard you can edit registry to apply to wired too

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 21, 2016, 21:06 Dev

Everyone else in phone industry does this. The only surprise will be if the lawsuit actually goes anywhere  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
43. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2016, 09:09 Dev

Quboid wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 21:48:
Robert Osorio wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 19:25:
Tilt wheel is totally useless to me in games. Actually I've never had any use for a tilt wheel at all, even on the desktop.

Bind tilt left to shift+ctrl+tab and right tilt to ctrl-tab so you can switch browser tabs by tilting the mouse wheel to one side.

Changed. My. Life.
Whoa, that sounds like an awesome thing

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 21, 2016, 09:03 Dev

Yeah, steal a password, get 5 years. Induce pressure to suicide... get probation. Nice.

This was an argument brought up on the appeal by this wonderful specimen of humanity

On appeal, the defendant argued for the first time that he had a First Amendment right to upload the video. The boy claimed that his recording of Matthew was "a matter of concern to his school community," in the "public interest," and amounted to constitutionally protected "news gathering." He maintained that Matthew was engaged in an unlawful act of masturbating in public, and the uploader caught him in the act.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Win10 Issues Jul 19, 2016, 23:03 Dev

jimnms wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 18:54:
now search has decided to stop working. I've searched for solutions and tried everything except re-installing, which I'm going to do eventually anyway. It's not just the search that quit working, it doesn't do anything. Normally you can type commands too, like pressing start and typing regedit to get the registry editor instead of doing it through the run dialog, but that doesn't even work now. I know re-installing will fix it, but when I do that and get it setup and all of my shit installed and it breaks again, then what?
Did you have a bunch of items in your start menu? As I recall, that might be a symptom of the FIXED size limit of the internal DB they started using for the start menu items . Something like no more than 256 items in the entire thing or else it will crap out. Because surely, no one installs more than a few applications, right? MS is so brilliant. I mean heck, an install of MS office can take up 20 on it's own. Almost as bad as the mythical "no one will use more than 640k ram" thing.
Anyway, I heard they fixed it in a patch.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 17, 2016, 21:29 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 18:26:
Coregrounds - Let's pick genres at random and combine them.

Infinite Space - Since the new CoD is also called that I wonder if there will be some kind of legal action.
If so, then CoD would have to change the name. Infinite space has been in the name of an electric eel game since like 2002.
Plus there's the unrelated DS game from 2009 with that name.

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
28. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 17, 2016, 11:36 Dev

Rigs wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 03:23:
I think what it is, though, especially with Roberts, is that he's seen what little he can do and the reaction he gets from it. Pushing out dreams is so lucrative that having to actually make those dreams reality is too much effort. He got to eat his cake, he doesn't want to have to do the dishes now. The man is creative, there's no doubt about it and if he could write as well as he can world-build, he'd be a master novelist, up there with the likes of Clancy, Crichton, Clarke, Tolkien and Martin. He's good at convincing people to trust him. A master manipulator. But like George Lucas, he can't stop himself from tweaking his dream to fit everyone's tastes. And as such, it's never realized, never finished. The man probably does want everyone to have the ultimate space-trading-combat-sim but I don't think he knows where to stop. He doesn't understand that you can't please all the people all the time. Him and Peter Molyneux are two peas in a dream pod. They want everyone to have the game they've always dreamed of but it's just not possible. Even when you throw unlimited money at it.
Rigs, you have a great take on this. I've believed it was more this (incompetence rather than malicious scam). And an apt comparison to George Lucas.

News Comments > Valve on Game Item Gambling
19. Re: Valve on Game Item Gambling Jul 15, 2016, 10:03 Dev

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 05:00:
The only thing Valve has been guilty of is lazyness. Not really surprising considering the way they structured their office workflow, what with the rolling desks and no heirarchy to speak of etc.

So is it surprising that they didn't do much about gambling sites once these began springing up? Not really. Did they take a cut of the profits? They say they didnt. Do we believe them? Well I do, but people being people will believe malicious intent anyday over incompetence or lazyness.
Yep. The "laziness" of the rolling desk and flat management structure explains basically EVERYTHING about valve.
For instance, why it is taking so long for HL3, because no one has rolled their desk into that corner for a while.
Why is the steam store always failing in a big sale, because doing web store front end is boring, so who wants to roll their desk to it.
Why they did greenlight, because they got bored of wheeling their desks over and reviewing new games to put on steam and wanted community to do the work (no joke, they straight up said basically this in the greenlight announcement).
Why they do things like disable console commands in L4D games instead of fixing bugs with some of them, because it's too boring to wheel the desk over there.
Why customer support is so crappy, because NO ONE wants to wheel desks to deal with customers (this is almost a universal thing in IT lol), and with flat management, no one to tell and dedicate to this.
With all the money they make, they could easily subcontract many issues out to companies that DO have management such as customer support, doing some additional HL spinoffs or other valve IP games, web GUI and stability, etc.

I love valve, their games, and steam. But they certainly have some major issues. However, I'm glad they aren't total greed fests like EA/Acti at least.

News Comments > Fallout Shelter for PC Released
20. Re: Fallout Shelter for PC Released Jul 15, 2016, 09:30 Dev

I'm interested, but only if there's crossplatform play, so I can load my phone vault(s) into the PC version, being as I've spent some time on it. Should be doable since they have cloud saves for a while now.

Is this an option?

Edit:
Appears no in game option for this yet. But the .sav file is compatible between, so you can manually copy save file fr phone or sync folders between PC and phone and play the phone save on PC. I kinda like this since it means I can try out something on PC that might bork my vault and then go to a backup.

Also found this for more info on stuff
https://www.reddit.com/r/foshelter/

And this to edit android save files:
http://robot9706.github.io/FSSE/

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2016, 09:46.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 15, 2016, 09:27 Dev

I'm fine with this in principle, though the penalty seems a little severe, compared with you know... actually raping or killing someone.  

News Comments > Windows Gaming Survey
28. Re: Windows Gaming Survey Jul 10, 2016, 10:20 Dev

My comment at end:

Get rid of crappy windows store, that restricts features and makes games bought there inferior compared to things like steam. Stop trying to screw PC games up. I still have games that were crippled by GFWL, both when it was alive, and when it was canceled by you. Stop promising to rededicate yourself to PC gaming, and then shutting down game studios. Stop trying to push latest windows so hard with stupid "exclusive" games. Remember the exclusive halo PC game, where all that was required was to bypass installer check to get it to install on older OS? PC gaming goes better when you stay completely out of it and just focus on next version of directx.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
11. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 10, 2016, 10:06 Dev

All ages have been doing this. Things like groups of people getting out, parks busier than they've ever been, people getting outside who normally don't move from their couch. It's awesome, and yet sad that it takes this to do that lol.  

News Comments > AMD Drivers Address Power Issues
17. Re: AMD Drivers Address Power Issues Jul 9, 2016, 13:51 Dev

Nope, I don't mind.
Also, I was reading comments by Kyle in a recent thread on one of the new video card reviews (think it was NVidia). He was still saying the recent NVidia card launch was a terrible mess with the founders edition nonsense.
Guess what? If he was on the dole, why would he continue criticize them?
When someone gets accused by both NVidia and AMD fanboys of being biased, they probably aren't.
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 7, 2016, 22:05:
I don't know about these other websites but someone is sure butthurt because they misunderstood or took out of context something that hardocp posted. It's actually a running joke how unbiased they are.
Some folks are just blissfully ignorant and lazy or are too entitled and can't be bothered to read any of the threads explaining what the actual situation is.

I'm sure dev won't mind if I repost his recent comment.
Dev wrote on May 30, 2016, 23:40:
RedEye9 wrote on May 30, 2016, 17:58:
Lord Tea wrote on May 30, 2016, 17:33:
I was surprised to see HardOCP, a site that is traditionally biased towards NV clearly showing this AMD advantage.

The amount of misinformation and inaccuracy of that sentence is actually beyond impressive, hardocp is one of the most unbiased review sites around.
Correct. The hilarious thing is if you read some of the discussion threads in the H forum whenever they review a new nvida card or a new AMD/ATI card. EVERY SINGLE THREAD has accusations of bias the one way or other, sometimes both in the same thread. Then next review comes out, and everyone claims bias the other way.
Go read the recent front page articles H posted. They wrote 2 or 3 of them in last month rightly bashing NVidia for having a confusing message and paper launch of sorts what with the whole founders edition silliness.
A few months ago, they called out AMD for a paper launch (where the AMD PR firm used those very words "paper launch"). Protip, if you don't want people to call things paper launch, don't put it in official PR lol.
So yeah, they call out both sides when it's appropriate. I think H is actually doing a pretty good job of being objective to AMD for the most part, given the crap AMD is dishing on them (among others) for basically some of AMD's head people having epeen contests.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/09/09/amd_roy_taylor_nano_press/
The hilarious thing is the AMD guy used to work at NVidia and predicted that AMD would never again have a high end card while he was there lol.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Arena for Free
6. Re: Elite Dangerous: Arena for Free Jul 9, 2016, 13:42 Dev

Bub wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 08:12:
There are tons of multiplayer combat games on Steam that have comments that the multiplayer has very few players online.
Which is exactly why I almost never buy a game that's multiplayer only.

News Comments > Nuka Time is Last DLC for Fallout 4
16. Re: Nuka Time is Last DLC for Fallout 4 Jul 6, 2016, 08:02 Dev

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 06:48:
Dev wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 23:07:
So where the frack is all the extra content that was promised for the season pass content? The content that was supposed to be above and beyond?

HAHAHAHAHAHAAA what "promises"?
I'm referring specifically to the price hike promises.
Such as:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-expansions-detailed-season-pass-price-in/1100-6434827/
Additionally, Bethesda has announced that the price of the Fallout 4 expansion pass is rising from $30 to $50.
[...]
Beyond these three expansions, which Bethesda labeled the "first series of add-ons," there will be even more content coming that will be announced later. Bethesda said it will deliver "more than $60 worth of new Fallout adventures and features" in 2016.
and
[url=http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/02/17/bethesda-responds-fallout-4-season-pass-price-increase-criticism
]Link text[/url]
(not sure why the board is choking on this link, but it's there and it let me post)

Hines did say, “It includes more than just… the three. Several more.”
and from the store page itself for season pass:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/404090/
It mentions the first three DLC then says
And this is only the beginning. Get more than $60 worth of new Fallout adventures and features throughout 2016.

Sorry Beth/Hines. This AINT "just the beginning" when it's at the half way mark. It's not "first series" when you have 3 and do just 3 more. It's not "throughout 2016" when you are basically done and it's July. Guess everyone should have taken him literally when he said "several" more.

Fortunately for me, I didn't pay price hike price or anything, I got the pass as part of the $120 collectors edition. But I'm still irked at the promises they made.

6923 Comments. 347 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo