Descending
Limit Results:

9 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

MIMO
May 5, 2005, 23:56
MIMO May 5, 2005, 23:56
May 5, 2005, 23:56

I like MIMORPG. That way, people who argue that it can't be a MMO because its not persistant can now shut up because of the I clearly indicates that its largly instanced.

Because IT is Massive, IT is Multiplayer and IT is Online. Nobody can not say GW doesn't have any of those features. But because it is largly instanced, it different from your traditional MMO's. So MIMO works great.

Re: No subject
Apr 30, 2005, 10:34
Re: No subject Apr 30, 2005, 10:34
Apr 30, 2005, 10:34

Kobalt, you make me laugh. I've never seen anybody whore over such a silly little topic before, you've gone past annoying troll to the Grand Master "I'm acting so serious - I couldn't care less about the issue but it sure pisses you off" Baiter. Thanks for the huge laugh.

I'm going to go home in a few hours and enjoy GW, loving every instance momment.

No subject
Apr 30, 2005, 09:34
No subject Apr 30, 2005, 09:34
Apr 30, 2005, 09:34

Its really ignorant to believe that a world needs to be persistant for it to be an MMO and with out persistants, its not. Unless you are the one who coined the term, I wouldn't argue with you, but since I'm 99.9*infin sure that you didn't not create the word MMO its all open for debate. And not all areas are created on the fly, all the hubs are persistant with persistant AI doing thier job regardless if people are there are not, so just because playing areas are instance and not persistant, can we easily toss the MMO title out the window disregarding the
hubs? The hubs sound like just any other town in any other MMO. People stay chat and AFK selling goods or resting, out in the killing fields mobs are killed and respawn. Doing nothing until somebody comes by to kill them. How much different is GW by not having those mobs in the first place until it needs to create them for an adventure? You don't know that they are there until you run up to it in any other "real" mmo.

From wikipedia.org:
The boundaries between multiplayer online games and MMOGs are not always clear or obvious. Neverwinter Nights (2002) and Diablo II are usually called online role-playing games (RPGs) but are also sometimes called MMORPGs (a type of MMOG). Guild Wars has been called an MMORPG, but most of its gameplay involves small groups of players in private areas. That game's developer prefers the term "competitive online role-playing game".

Even tho at heart is a CO-RPG, it has a lot of elements that make up MMORPGs. Saying GW is not a MMO is like saying a cat with only 3 legs and no tail is not a cat because its missing a few parts. Would it be more "correct" to call it a COMMORPG, sure, but it's not wrong to just call it a MMORPG in short. Its doubtfull that CORPG is going to catch on. MMORPG in short, means any rollplaying game that is done oneline with massive ammount of players. While the players may be massive (one total server-spanning across many zones), playing against is not as battles are limited in total to 64 max (8v^2) currently.

Nit pick as you will, and i'm sure you will...

BUT WAIT: World of Warcraft has instance dungeon such as Blackrock Depths or Scholomance. SO that must mean its not a MMO!! To your logic, that's the difference between a MMO and a non MMO. /sarcasm

Re: IGN impressions - Guild Wars
Apr 29, 2005, 22:36
Re: IGN impressions - Guild Wars Apr 29, 2005, 22:36
Apr 29, 2005, 22:36

argument over, IGN said so. Thats because IGN is always is and always will be 100% correct in thier writings, in what they say and what they give out for scores... yea right. pft. nice try.

No subject
Apr 29, 2005, 22:34
No subject Apr 29, 2005, 22:34
Apr 29, 2005, 22:34

ok then, WHAT key makes a persistent game world then?

No subject
Apr 29, 2005, 21:56
No subject Apr 29, 2005, 21:56
Apr 29, 2005, 21:56

I still don't understand on what arguement you people have that doesn't make GW a MMO. I can play with ANYBODY else who plays the game on one server and not limited to 1/85th like WoW. It's like Wow, but being able to jump from Azjol-Nerub to FrostWolf to Ner'zhul to (so on and so on) to find other people to play with. Instead of being forced on one server and hoping you picked the best one, your always free to move around.

If GW doesn't bring Massive Multiplayer Online into a MMO, I don't know what does. Its a different dirrection of a MMO but it is still one. Sure right now battles are limtied to 8v^2 (64) max and I'm sure that GW is going to be watching and learning and adding new content to what players wishes are. WoW lanched in november and they JUST now got a simi real PvP going on... thats 6 monhts? Who's not to say 6 months down the line GW first big content update isn't going to include something like 16v^2 (256)?. Or they maybe even include some non instances zones.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 21:57.

85 wow servers?
Apr 28, 2005, 22:58
85 wow servers? Apr 28, 2005, 22:58
Apr 28, 2005, 22:58

You know what the best about GW, is every person who signs up to play GW, I have a chance to play against. In wow or other MMO's if they don't pick the server that I'm on, I'll never see them or play against them. In GW, you'll never be forced never to not play against somebody because they are on another server. So in a way, WoW is 85x more instanced then GW.

GW will always have a great communtity because there will never be over crowed servers and never any "dead" servers. Yes there are many single player (read: solo) areas, but there are twice as many instanced multiplayer zones. And all you have to do is go to the quest/town zone meet up with a few people and enjoy a hassle free game (unless the people you play with are just totally clueless and or idiots)

Really the only people complaining about instances are people who normally love to gank/greif newbies and cause other problems to other people for thier own joy. You hate a game that finaly makes PVP fair and more on skill and less on levels and gear.

Re: heh
Dec 9, 2004, 09:25
Re: heh Dec 9, 2004, 09:25
Dec 9, 2004, 09:25

The sequel to the highly successful Lineage, Lineage II launched first in South Korea in November of 2003 and then the United States in April of 2004. As of September 2004 they had nearly 1.5 million subscribers worldwide, with over 75,000 of those in the US.

Sure.. the world, like Korea. Where that style of the game is expected. Here in america. Its dying.

Re: heh
Dec 8, 2004, 21:45
Re: heh Dec 8, 2004, 21:45
Dec 8, 2004, 21:45

What class?. I wonder if there is anything not gimped?. Other then the Chinese Farmers.

9 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older